PDA

View Full Version : Giants' Victor Cruz: "I Want To Stay Here, This Is My Home"

RoanokeFan
01-09-2013, 01:24 PM
http://www.giants101.com/2013/01/09/new-york-giants-victor-cruz-i-want-to-stay-here-this-is-my-home/

Excerpt: "The NFL (http://www.giants101.com/tag/nfl/) is through the first week of playoffs and for many New York Giants (http://www.giants101.com/tag/new-york-giants/), it's still hard to accept that they aren't playing. Punter Steve Weatherford (http://www.giants101.com/tag/steve-weatherford/) has expressed his frustration (http://www.giants101.com/2013/01/06/steve-weatherford-not-a-fan-of-nfl-playoffs-sans-new-york-giants/), head coach Tom Coughlin (http://www.giants101.com/tag/tom-coughlin/) detailed the emotional strain it's put on him (http://www.giants101.com/2013/01/04/new-york-giants-tom-coughlin-says-pain-of-missing-playoffs-is-indescribable/), and wide receiver Victor Cruz (http://www.giants101.com/tag/victor-cruz/), who appeared on ESPN's "The Herd (http://espn.go.com/espnradio/show/_/showId/theherd/postId/8824890/heard-herd)" on Tuesday, says sitting home "hurts."

“It definitely stings,” Cruz said, “especially coming off the season we had last year. After winning the Super Bowl, you want to be able to go back to the playoffs and have the chance to do it again. It will hurt for a while."

Cruz made no excuses, though. Like teammate Chris Snee (http://www.giants101.com/tag/chris-snee/), who said following their week 17 victory that they "didn't deserve" to make the playoffs, the Pro Bowl wide receiver feels the Giants were their own worst enemy, and that they have no one to blame but themselves." Read more...

ELI_HOF_NYG
01-09-2013, 01:25 PM
he'll be back, giants won't let him get away,,,nicks I am not too sure of.

slipknottin
01-09-2013, 01:27 PM
It annoys me when players say things like this then demand top dollar.

If you actually wanted to stay here then take less money and be happy about it.

Rudyy
01-09-2013, 01:28 PM
It annoys me when players say things like this then demand top dollar. If you actually wanted to stay here then take less money and be happy about it.Show me where he demanded a top dollar amount.

RoanokeFan
01-09-2013, 01:31 PM

We don't know what he's asking for.

slipknottin
01-09-2013, 01:31 PM
Show me where he demanded a top dollar amount.

The thread about him wanting 8-10 million

Theres a reason his contract is not done now. It's because he wants a lot more than the giants are willing to pay him

Rudyy
01-09-2013, 01:32 PM
The thread about him wanting 8-10 millionTheres a reason his contract is not done now. It's because he wants a lot more than the giants are willing to pay him He didnt ask for that. Someone comapred him to elite wideouts and how much they make and came out with that number.

Morehead State
01-09-2013, 01:32 PM

Theres a reason his contract is not done now. It's because he wants a lot more than the giants are willing to pay him
All players want more than the teams are willing to pay.
Welcome to human life.

RoanokeFan
01-09-2013, 01:35 PM

That range of figures was an uneducated guess by the media head who wrote that article. He based it on what four or five other players contracts were and made an ASSUMPTION. Neither Cruz nor any of his handlers have publicly revealed what their asking price is.

slipknottin
01-09-2013, 01:36 PM
All players want more than the teams are willing to pay.
Welcome to human life.

I know. I don't have a problem with that. I have a problem with them saying "I want to stay" when really it's "I want to stay as long as you are offering me as much as anyone else would"

His quote makes it seem like he's a team guy and would do anything for the team, but we all know that's not how it works.

If he was saying what Bennett said, "I would take a discount to stay here" then it may have some meaning.

ELI_HOF_NYG
01-09-2013, 01:37 PM
I think he gets a nice big signing bonus then 7 - 8 per year over 5 years.

Morehead State
01-09-2013, 01:41 PM
I know. I don't have a problem with that. I have a problem with them saying "I want to stay" when really it's "I want to stay as long as you are offering me as much as anyone else would"

His quote makes it seem like he's a team guy and would do anything for the team, but we all know that's not how it works.

If he was saying what Bennett said, "I would take a discount to stay here" then it may have some meaning.

He IS a team guy and I'm very sure he DOES want to stay.

That doesn't mean he should let himself be taken advantage of though. Its good business.
I have no doubt that he was completely sincere in that statement.

You're just too cynical.

And Bennet's agent is an idiot for allowing him to say that.

RoanokeFan
01-09-2013, 01:44 PM

That doesn't mean he should let himself be taken advantage of though. Its good business.

You're just too cynical.

Bennett also said it would depend on what it meant to give a hometown discount.

BeatYale
01-09-2013, 01:50 PM

The business side of things is between his agent and the gm. Teams don't take it personal, fans shouldn't either.

Edit: And I think most players would play for less if contracts had to be fully honored by teams, but that's not the case in the NFL. I watch games to watch players play, not watch a rich owner getting richer every year while sitting in his press box.

gmenfan0488
01-09-2013, 02:04 PM
He didnt ask for that. Someone comapred him to elite wideouts and how much they make and came out with that number.

they wouldn't have come out with that number if he didn't ask for it. He should've denied he wanted that much if he didn't/

Morehead State
01-09-2013, 02:05 PM
they wouldn't have come out with that number if he didn't ask for it. He should've denied he wanted that much if he didn't/
Are you serious with this post?
Its like saying.."If it's on the internet it must be true".

RoanokeFan
01-09-2013, 02:06 PM
he'll be back, giants won't let him get away,,,nicks I am not too sure of.

Nicks is on the back burner. I hope he comes back this season and shoots the lights out.

RoanokeFan
01-09-2013, 02:07 PM

Seriously? How do you know Cruz even saw the NEWS ARTICLE that GUESSED at that figure range? And why would it be his place to deny something he's not responsible for?

RoanokeFan
01-09-2013, 02:08 PM

And I laughed yesterday about the Wonderlic for posters comment.........

Morehead State
01-09-2013, 02:10 PM
Seriously? How do you know Cruz even saw the NEWS ARTICLE that GUESSED at that figure range? And why would it be his place to deny something he's not responsible for?
That BTW could be used against his interests in negotiations.

gmenfan0488
01-09-2013, 02:10 PM

He didn't deny the article, that's the thing. ergo, he DOES want 8-10 million

Morehead State
01-09-2013, 02:11 PM
He's not going to talk about money in the media. No way his agent is going to let him set a ceiling before negotiations.

Your position is complete naive silliness.

RoanokeFan
01-09-2013, 02:12 PM
That BTW could be used against his interests in negotiations.

Stop with the ****ng logic already lol

RoanokeFan
01-09-2013, 02:15 PM

The world was supposed to end on December 21st, yet here we are, frolicking on the Giants' Message Boards. Just because someone has the right to voice their opinion, doesn't make it the truth. That guess as made by no one connected with Victor Cruz.

RoanokeFan
01-09-2013, 02:22 PM
We need Cruz. Hope this doesnt become an issue

It's only an issue here

Toadofsteel
01-09-2013, 02:31 PM
Cruz has often just let his agent autopilot on contract negotiations... The agent would be the one demanding that sum of money...

RoanokeFan
01-09-2013, 02:33 PM
Cruz has often just let his agent autopilot on contract negotiations... The agent would be the one demanding that sum of money...

Have you seen anything from anyone in the Cruz camp wherein they make a demand of any amount of money?

G-Men Surg.
01-09-2013, 03:44 PM
Uneducated guess or not if that is the asking price its way to much.

RoanokeFan
01-09-2013, 04:11 PM
Uneducated guess or not if that is the asking price its way to much.

That's been my point, we, us, here and now, DO NOT know what the asking price is IF they've even gotten that far.

G-Men Surg.
01-09-2013, 04:40 PM
That's been my point, we, us, here and now, DO NOT know what the asking price is IF they've even gotten that far.
Correct. To this point I haven't heard Cruz talk dollars and cents obviously not his job and for his agent to work on. That been said Nicks indirectly or implied this past offseason he was in Fitz and Megatron's level, of course ( I think ) he was referring to his level of play but if you let me read between the lines that also implies him getting paid accordingly. THIS could be a huge issue in nailing down Cruz final contract numbers taking in count what's going to take to tight up Nicks in Blue for the rest of his career. All this is not taking in count that 20 mill. salaryn cap number for Eli, the fact our LT is a FA, KP is also a FA and then some. Ouch ! Reese has is work cut out for him this offseason.

RoanokeFan
01-09-2013, 04:44 PM
Correct. To this point I haven't heard Cruz talk dollars and cents obviously not his job and for his agent to work on. That been said Nicks indirectly or implied this past offseason he was in Fitz and Megatron's level, of course ( I think ) he was referring to his level of play but if you let me read between the lines that also implies him getting paid accordingly. THIS could be a huge issue in nailing down Cruz final contract numbers taking in count what's going to take to tight up Nicks in Blue for the rest of his career. All this is not taking in count that 20 mill. salaryn cap number for Eli, the fact our LT is a FA, KP is also a FA and then some. Ouch ! Reese has is work cut out for him this offseason.

This is clearly not an easy task for Reese, but that's why he gets the big bucks. I have no factual reason for saying this, but I think Reese can help ease the pain with Cruz by suggesting he and Nicks being a tandem for several years might well be worth the "hometown discount" we hear talked about. I know it sounds corny, but I actually believe Cruz wants to be a Giant for life.

Reese can make a very tempting signing bonus offer as well

NYG4lifeNYK
01-09-2013, 04:49 PM
I'm just hopeful we reach a new deal for BOTH Nicks AND Cruz... I hope Cruz doesn't try and squeeze every nickel and penny out of us :(

Doesn't seem like the type that would do that but let's e honest here, this is financial.

RoanokeFan
01-09-2013, 04:51 PM
I'm just hopeful we reach a new deal for BOTH Nicks AND Cruz... I hope Cruz doesn't try and squeeze every nickel and penny out of us :(

Doesn't seem like the type that would do that but let's e honest here, this is financial.

Fortunately, Nicks' salary isn't an issue until 2014 when he becomes a free agent.

giantsfan420
01-09-2013, 05:18 PM
It's only an issue here

thats not true. i bet its an issue JR is spending a lot of time assessing.

giantsfan420
01-09-2013, 05:20 PM
slighty off topic, but quick question, will nicks be an unrestricted FA or a RFA? can we do that tag thing with nicks that pitt did with wallace and we might do with cruz?

edit-NOT the franchise tag, thats a different topic. theres a dff between franchise tag, RFA and FA

RoanokeFan
01-09-2013, 05:23 PM
thats not true. i bet its an issue JR is spending a lot of time assessing.

We don't know that. For all we know they could be in the final stages of a contract. This is what Reese does for a living and, historically, he seems to get done what has to be gotten done. They already have the structure agreed to so now it's a matter of plugging in numbers. The one thing Reese has that we don't is who he intends to release/restructure which means he roughly knows how much he has to spend.

RoanokeFan
01-09-2013, 05:28 PM
slighty off topic, but quick question, will nicks be an unrestricted FA or a RFA? can we do that tag thing with nicks that pitt did with wallace and we might do with cruz?

edit-NOT the franchise tag, thats a different topic. theres a dff between franchise tag, RFA and FA

Unrestricted

http://www.spotrac.com/free-agents/nfl/2014/new-york-giants/wide-receiver/

giantsfan420
01-09-2013, 05:39 PM
We don't know that. For all we know they could be in the final stages of a contract. This is what Reese does for a living and, historically, he seems to get done what has to be gotten done. They already have the structure agreed to so now it's a matter of plugging in numbers. The one thing Reese has that we don't is who he intends to release/restructure which means he roughly knows how much he has to spend.true. i still dont think saying its only an issue here is fair but whatevs.

what happened? i thought cruz and the giants agreed on the structure of the contract midseason? i assume its the numbers then at this point? that doesnt mean both parties cant be close to an agreement either...

edit- thanks for the nicks info. that sucks. woulda been nice to have a bit of leverage...we cannot let him hit open market hthen we'll pay 20% over value if we're lucky.

RoanokeFan
01-09-2013, 06:50 PM
true. i still dont think saying its only an issue here is fair but whatevs.

what happened? i thought cruz and the giants agreed on the structure of the contract midseason? i assume its the numbers then at this point? that doesnt mean both parties cant be close to an agreement either...

edit- thanks for the nicks info. that sucks. woulda been nice to have a bit of leverage...we cannot let him hit open market hthen we'll pay 20% over value if we're lucky.

Reese might have been better served to get it done earlier in the season. Now Cruz is the beneficiary of back to back 1,000 yard season, leading receiver on the team, stayed healthy for another season, and a Pro Bowl nominee. All of that supposedly raises his value.

Rat_bastich
01-09-2013, 08:17 PM

Bon jour!

RoanokeFan
01-09-2013, 08:21 PM
Bon jour!

Touche :cool:

Flip Empty
01-09-2013, 08:31 PM
Reese can make a very tempting signing bonus offer as well
Something for this board to get its panties in a twist over in three years time. "Cruz is 29 - he's done! He's garbage! WHY ARE WE PAYING HIM SO MUCH!!!!"

RoanokeFan
01-09-2013, 08:37 PM
Something for this board to get its panties in a twist over in three years time. "Cruz is 29 - he's done! He's garbage! WHY ARE WE PAYING HIM SO MUCH!!!!"

Maybe they won't make a deal

Carter.525
01-09-2013, 09:15 PM
can't picture Cruz on another team.. the thought makes me sick actually.

giantscolombia
01-10-2013, 07:34 AM
This is ridiculous!

Yes, he says i want to stay here and this is my home or what not.

but, come on anyone in the world knows that even if you love something and the COMPENSATION is not there it starts looking a little sketchy and like a bad decision....

this RULE applies to everything in life: Women, jobs, etc..

If you have a job with an awesome organization that has history, treats you nicely, and even makes you feel at home but they are paying you MINIMUM WAGE and someone at a place where you will be just a number triples what you are making, its human nature to either resent the decision to stay or to take the money...

its reality. I'm not saying its what Cruz is going to do its just expected, ppl want money. Cruz has performed two seasons in a row and i think he deserves to be paid....

RoanokeFan
01-10-2013, 08:11 AM
This is ridiculous!

Yes, he says i want to stay here and this is my home or what not.

but, come on anyone in the world knows that even if you love something and the COMPENSATION is not there it starts looking a little sketchy and like a bad decision....

this RULE applies to everything in life: Women, jobs, etc..

If you have a job with an awesome organization that has history, treats you nicely, and even makes you feel at home but they are paying you MINIMUM WAGE and someone at a place where you will be just a number triples what you are making, its human nature to either resent the decision to stay or to take the money...

its reality. I'm not saying its what Cruz is going to do its just expected, ppl want money. Cruz has performed two seasons in a row and i think he deserves to be paid....

No one is arguing that. He will get paid. The question is how much and by whom

GeoGoGo
01-10-2013, 03:15 PM
Bon jour!

Great reference! LOL!!!

BuffyBlueII
01-10-2013, 03:24 PM

You're just too cynical.

I have to agree. As heartwarming as it is that Martellus Bennet made that statement, it wasn’t thr brightest thing to say before negotiating a contract. I think he is trying to pave the way for his brother to come here.

RoanokeFan
01-10-2013, 04:13 PM
I have to agree. As heartwarming as it is that Martellus Bennet made that statement, it wasn’t thr brightest thing to say before negotiating a contract. I think he is trying to pave the way for his brother to come here.

Bennett also qualified his hometown discount by adding it depends on what it is. I sure hope we keep both Bennett and Cruz.

flashnando
01-10-2013, 04:33 PM

Anyone would want top dollar after having seasons like Cruz did back to back but Cruz is human and he honestly loves this City, he is faithful to it and it looks like he would stay here for a fair amount regardless of what he is after.

gmen0820
01-10-2013, 04:35 PM
I'd be crushed if we lost Cruz.

RoanokeFan
01-10-2013, 05:50 PM
I'd be crushed if we lost Cruz.

You are not alone

RoanokeFan
01-10-2013, 05:51 PM
Anyone would want top dollar after having seasons like Cruz did back to back but Cruz is human and he honestly loves this City, he is faithful to it and it looks like he would stay here for a fair amount regardless of what he is after.

I tend to agree

Down-lifer
01-10-2013, 07:14 PM
Hope he stays. Cruuuuuuuuuz!