PDA

View Full Version : 2012 Giants In Review: Perry Fewell

sheepdip
01-01-2013, 10:51 PM
Man everyone wanted to hang Sheridan and Tim Lewis but this bum gets another shot.

HELLO 31 st ranked Defense.

Do none of you fans remember this franchise was known for Defense. Remember LT , Carson and Banks etc and the old days ???? Well what happened to it.

Cant stop the run I mean 3rd string RBs had career days vs our once proud defenses.

How many 200 yard rushers we allowed ?

Yes lets bring him back cant wait till next season...

egyptian420
01-01-2013, 10:52 PM
It's Fewel's fault that players can't tackle?

ny06
01-01-2013, 10:55 PM
That "bum" helped us win a championship.

sheepdip
01-01-2013, 10:55 PM

Yeah were ranked 31st because we had a couple of bad games tackling. A lot of nfl teams cant tackle these days and they are ranked better.

He superseeds everything and nothing was done to correct any of our constant issues.

juice33s
01-01-2013, 10:56 PM
I've seen more intricate schemes on the high school level, Personally I think Fewell sucks and haven't liked the hiring from the start.

sheepdip
01-01-2013, 10:58 PM
Too many ppl here are in love with Killdrive and Fewel.

I guess they really enjoyed the product on the field this year.

Wheeee 31 st ranked defense, constant 200 yard rushing games allowed, swiss cheese pass defense and no blitzes or schemes

Killdrive take away the eagles game couldnt get our offense on track when we needed it to be....Hey maybe he will study all the good offensive teams in the playoffs to get ideas for next year lol

Im out!!

I love Reese, Ross and others but the Cords need to go...

moosedrool
01-01-2013, 11:00 PM
It's funny how quickly people forget Fewell held Brady to 17 points in the super bowl.

Oh wait, that wasn't Fewell, that was the players. This year? It was the DC not the players.

moosedrool
01-01-2013, 11:03 PM
The Giants were ranked 12th in the league in points allowed at 21.5, a much more important stat. Still want Fewell fired?

RoanokeFan
01-01-2013, 11:09 PM
Man everyone wanted to hang Sheridan and Tim Lewis but this bum gets another shot.

Do none of you fans remember this franchise was known for Defense. Remember LT , Carson and Banks etc and the old days ???? Well what happened to it.

Cant stop the run I mean 3rd string RBs had career days vs our once proud defenses.

What were those stats last season?

NYG4lifeNYK
01-01-2013, 11:13 PM
Oh defensive stats were horrible last season as well.

Here's our defensive ranking with Fewell.

2011: points (25th), yards (27th) (We won games because Eli put the entire team on his back)
2012: points (12th), yards (31st) ...that points margin is so misleading

So now we're stuck with him for 2013 because we won a Super Bowl with him and rewarded him an extension 2011.

RoanokeFan
01-01-2013, 11:15 PM
Oh defensive stats were horrible last season as well.

Here's our defensive ranking with Fewell.

2011: points (25th), yards (27th) (We won games because Eli put the entire team on his back)
2012: points (12th), yards (31st) ...that points margin is so misleading

So now we're stuck with him for 2013 because we won a Super Bowl with him and rewarded him an extension 2011.

And last year we won the Super Bowl, imagine that. You coach haters need to give it a rest. It seems clear the people who make the hiring and firing decisions are keeping them.

Pretty good on points allowed though, damn. The stats are misleading? lol

IF we won games last year because Eli put the team on his back, we lost them this year because he didn't/couldn't?

juice33s
25th in scoring, 27th in totoal

Buddy333
Not defending the defense, they need help, but do you know what the difference between the #10 defense in he league and the #31 defense in the league is? It's 50 yards a game. That could be a game winning play, or yards picked up in garbage time. How about points? The #1 defense in the league did not have the lowest points allowed per game. Points are the most important stat, not yards. There where 11 teams that allowed fewer points than the Giants defense did and 1 team that tied them. Of those teams a few really stand out with under 300 points allowed to the 344 allowed by the Giants. Most of them though are all close to the same. So no, they where not great, but the the last two losses are making them look even worse.

Buddy333
01-01-2013, 11:17 PM
Oh defensive stats were horrible last season as well.Here's our defensive ranking with Fewell. 2011: points (25th), yards (27th) (We won games because Eli put the entire team on his back) 2012: points (12th), yards (31st) ...that points margin is so misleading So now we're stuck with him for 2013 because we won a Super Bowl with him and rewarded him an extension 2011.Lol. Points are misleading? That's the ONLY stat that counts.

Buddy333
01-01-2013, 11:18 PM
Where is the #1 ranked defense? Sitting home this post season.

radar-ray
01-01-2013, 11:18 PM
I'm cursing!!!

RoanokeFan
01-01-2013, 11:20 PM
I'm cursing!!!

Where are the kids?

appodictic
01-01-2013, 11:21 PM
The Giants were ranked 12th in the league in points allowed at 21.5, a much more important stat. Still want Fewell fired? That is really misleading. If you have a game with the defence cant get the other team off the field and the offence cant score you lose. This happened a couple times this year. Teams like the redskins and steelers having long drives and keeping us from putting up big numbers.

NYG4lifeNYK
Where is the #1 ranked defense? Sitting home this post season.

Who? And what does that have to do with us or Fewell not being a great DC?

Did Pittsburgh have the #1 defense this season?

moosedrool
You coach haters need to give it a rest. It seems clear the people who make the hiring and firing decisions are keeping them.

Yea but the coach haters are smarter than the people making the hiring and firing decisions.

RoanokeFan
Too many ppl here are in love with Killdrive and Fewel.

I guess they really enjoyed the product on the field this year.

Wheeee 31 st ranked defense, constant 200 yard rushing games allowed, swiss cheese pass defense and no blitzes or schemes

Killdrive take away the eagles game couldnt get our offense on track when we needed it to be....Hey maybe he will study all the good offensive teams in the playoffs to get ideas for next year lol

Im out!!

I love Reese, Ross and others but the Cords need to go...

Or too few people hate him? :confused:

Buddy333
01-01-2013, 11:22 PM
Who? And what does that have to do with us or Fewell not being a great DC?The Steelers. The point is that points scored is the only stat that matters and they where not that bad in that department.

NYG4lifeNYK
01-01-2013, 11:25 PM
The Steelers. The point is that points scored is the only stat that matters and they where not that bad in that department.

And yet we were AWFUL on 3rd down, which meant we couldn't get offenses off the field.

radar-ray
01-01-2013, 11:27 PM
Where are the kids? They're out buying a book called "Defensive Game Planning for Dummies" for Fewlless.

Buddy333
01-01-2013, 11:28 PM
That is really misleading. If you have a game with the defence cant get the other team off the field and the offence cant score you lose. This happened a couple times this year. Teams like the redskins and steelers having long drives and keeping us from putting up big numbers.Their last two losses where very bad but the offense was just as bad. So the entire team collapsed. Lets look at a couple of games where the offense came up short. The first Eagles game, the Steelers game, and the second Washington game. Throw the Bengals game in their as well since the offense did not do a thing until garbage time and they spotted the ball to the Bengals twice on turnovers. He special teams also let them set up inside the red zone that game.

Buddy333
01-01-2013, 11:29 PM
And yet we were AWFUL on 3rd down, which meant we couldn't get offenses off the field.The offense did a fine job by themselves staying off the field and kicking field goals instead of scoring TD's.

Morehead State
01-01-2013, 11:30 PM
I don't think anyone "loves" Perry Fewell.

But I do think many of us respect the fact that his defense played great in the playoffs last season against some outstanding offenses. And we won a SB with him as our DC.
That actually counts for something. The defense (especially the pass rush) was the key to both our SB wins in this era of Giants football. We didn't put up a lot of points on those playoff runs. That's not a knock on KG or our offense, but the defense was the key.
That fact cannot be denied. (at least not by reasonable fans)

P_Simms_#11
01-01-2013, 11:32 PM
Unless another team wants him as a HC (highly unlikely) he isnt going anywhere.

radar-ray
01-01-2013, 11:36 PM
Unless another team wants him as a HC (highly unlikely) he isnt going anywhere.Sadly, true!!!

KillaRich
01-01-2013, 11:44 PM
Look I understand some of you saying its the players..and i agree that they are part of the problem..... But seriously ignoring Fewells schemes is just blind..... When the opposing team has 3rd and long between the Giants 40-midfield and Fewell decides to play Prevent defense with the corners giving massive cushion it makes you wonder WTF is the strategy here....and point blank period that strategy is ******ed ..... 9 out of 10 times Giants give up the first down anyways..... the other times giants will stop them but give them a good amount of yards for a decent FG shot

OR

The stubborn and ignorant decision to constantly rely on the front for 99% of the time..... It became very clear halfway through the season that the front four alone was not getting pressure ...... With no extra help it was easy for other teams to double the only real threat (JPP) therefore limiting him...... Tuck and Osi were/are clearly not elite anymore...yet were relied on to bring the heat..... The FEW times the pressure was brought we saw the results .....whether by pressure or sacks.... I mean look at Blackburn he has what the same amount of sacks or near as Tuck? That was because crazy enough the FEW times Chase was set to blitz it was SUCCESSFUL.....and this is Chase we're talking about here....... But due to Fewells IGNORANCE he stuck with his ineffective gameplan..or lack there of.....

Yes we had injuries and that is part of the problem...but it was mostly because Fewell's strategy sucks.... This defense has to much talent ... minus the LB core (I dont mind them imo though) to have been ranked 27th and 31st in defense for the last 2 years

Spags had half the talent and our defense was smashmouth awesome

Fewell needs to get his stubburn ignorant head out of his a**

RoanokeFan
01-01-2013, 11:45 PM
Yea but the coach haters are smarter than the people making the hiring and firing decisions.

I keep forgetting that. I often wonder how they find time away from their coaching assignments to lecture us.

RoanokeFan
01-01-2013, 11:46 PM

But I do think many of us respect the fact that his defense played great in the playoffs last season against some outstanding offenses. And we won a SB with him as our DC.
That actually counts for something. The defense (especially the pass rush) was the key to both our SB wins in this era of Giants football. We didn't put up a lot of points on those playoff runs. That's not a knock on KG or our offense, but the defense was the key.

Sure, bring logic into it

RoanokeFan
01-01-2013, 11:47 PM
They're out buying a book called "Defensive Game Planning for Dummies" for Fewlless.

That's nice of them, I'm sure it will be appreciated.

RoanokeFan
01-01-2013, 11:50 PM
Look I understand some of you saying its the players..and i agree that they are part of the problem..... But seriously ignoring Fewells schemes is just blind..... When the opposing team has 3rd and long between the Giants 40-midfield and Fewell decides to play Prevent defense with the corners giving massive cushion it makes you wonder WTF is the strategy here....and point blank period that strategy is ******ed ..... 9 out of 10 times Giants give up the first down anyways..... the other times giants will stop them but give them a good amount of yards for a decent FG shot

OR

The stubborn and ignorant decision to constantly rely on the front for 99% of the time..... It became very clear halfway through the season that the front four alone was not getting pressure ...... With no extra help it was easy for other teams to double the only real threat (JPP) therefore limiting him...... Tuck and Osi were/are clearly not elite anymore...yet were relied on to bring the heat..... The FEW times the pressure was brought we saw the results .....whether by pressure or sacks.... I mean look at Blackburn he has what the same amount of sacks or near as Tuck? That was because crazy enough the FEW times Chase was set to blitz it was SUCCESSFUL.....and this is Chase we're talking about here....... But due to Fewells IGNORANCE he stuck with his ineffective gameplan..or lack there of.....

Yes we had injuries and that is part of the problem...but it was mostly because Fewell's strategy sucks.... This defense has to much talent ... minus the LB core (I dont mind them imo though) to have been ranked 27th and 31st in defense for the last 2 years

I'm a big Spags fan, but since he left here, he has sucked as an HC, not all that unusual first time out, and his current defense is close to dead last. He hit the ground running here so did he make the players great or did they make him great?

KillaRich
01-01-2013, 11:53 PM
I'm a big Spags fan, but since he left here, he has sucked as a HC, not all that unusual first time out, and his current defense is close to dead last. He hit the ground ruining here so did he make the players great or did they make him great?

The spags downfall is a mystery to me as well... IDK Maybe it was the players...or a combination of both?? But I loved watching the defense during his time here.... Just watching Pierce make crazy adjustments and the whole D-Line just going all over the place confusing the opposing offense was a pleasure to watch

RoanokeFan
01-02-2013, 12:00 AM
The spags downfall is a mystery to me as well... IDK Maybe it was the players...or a combination of both?? But I loved watching the defense during his time here.... Just watching Pierce make crazy adjustments and the whole D-Line just going all over the place confusing the opposing offense was a pleasure to watch

My point really is it's never one person's fault when we fail.

Circumstances create problems you can't predict. I've mentioned this a few times now. Osi and Tuck weren't Osi and Tuck this year. NO ONE on the coaching staff or here would have believed the results of their collective efforts this season.. Most here say we depend on our pass rush to be dominant, and that's what Fewell was expecting to have happen. It was logical to expect it. So without that, and now add the injuries in the secondary, and we had a formula designed to fail that could not have been foreseen.

I think we still don't have a "Pierce" on the field.

Morehead State
01-02-2013, 12:03 AM
Spags scheme wasn't anything special. He just believed more in press coverage. Ultimately we need a strong pass rush to win. Neither scheme has a monopoly on that. If the players play well up front, our defense works.
But in today's NFL, with mobility at the QB position, the cover 2 type schemes generally work better. Spags scheme may be getting a tad obsolete, even just in the past few years.

Buddy333
01-02-2013, 12:08 AM
As bad as the Giants where statistically on defense, the Saints where worse. So go get ha coach?

NYG4lifeNYK
01-02-2013, 12:16 AM

It absolutely does but it's his defense in the regular season that keeps us out or just barely gets us into playoff contention.

That's the issue.

moosedrool
01-02-2013, 12:16 AM
The spags downfall is a mystery to me as well...

Not sure why it's a mystery. The Saints defensive players are awful. Spags actually improved the Saints defense with a final PFF rating of -93 (was -145 in 2011). Good coaches can only do so much with what they are given.

Morehead State
01-02-2013, 12:20 AM
It absolutely does but it's his defense in the regular season that keeps us out or just barely gets us into playoff contention.

That's the issue.
It was the same scheme. Our defense struggled with injuries most of 2011. We just came together at the ned of the season and started getting after the QB.

If there is one factor that made the difference in our 2 SB runs, it was our pass rush. Whether it was Spags or PF. It always came down to rushing the passer.
Scheme's are interesting, but that's what it really comes down to.

GameTime
01-02-2013, 12:21 AM
what are you gonna do....piss and moan. It is what it is...
Hope he and the team as a whole do better next season.....

Morehead State
01-02-2013, 12:25 AM
what are you gonna do....piss and moan. It is what it is...
Hope he and the team as a whole do better next season.....
The key to our success on defense is simple................ Good players who stay healthy.
If we have that it won't matter who the DC is.

Buddy333
01-02-2013, 12:27 AM
It would also help to not go 3 and out or kick a field goal after every turnover the defense forces.

Jtuck
01-02-2013, 12:41 AM

This kid is who we need next to JPP!

Line Coach
01-02-2013, 02:08 AM
Jimmy's and Joe's will always beat X's and O's.

Out of Exile
01-02-2013, 06:01 AM
The Giants were ranked 12th in the league in points allowed at 21.5, a much more important stat. Still want Fewell fired?

Don't post legit facts. You will get flamed.

Die-Hard
01-02-2013, 06:23 AM

People aren't cursing? I guess you missed the other 378 individual threads that were created on the subject since Sunday

FBomb
01-02-2013, 06:24 AM
People aren't cursing? I guess you missed the other 378 individual threads that were created on the subject since Sunday

THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TooStupid
01-02-2013, 09:43 PM

YES!. Maybe in the end you don't give up the touchdown but staying out there for 20 minutes does nothing to allow your offense time to get into
a rhythm. You have to nuts to put this ALL on the players. Broken plays and coverages are on the DC. Yes nobody in the NFL knows how to tackle, but
other teams that cant tackle have better defenses. He flat out sucks.

TooStupid
01-02-2013, 09:49 PM

OR

These same people that make excuses for Fewel by blaming all of the defensive players are the same ones slamming KG. Anybody watching these games
should have recognized the confusion on the defensive side of the ball. I loved the comment about Fewels "Bend and Break" scheme. He was god awful. Im not a DC but Im not giving 10 yard cushions on third and 4. This was an utter embarrassment and somebody needs to pay.

TooStupid
01-02-2013, 09:50 PM
The key to our success on defense is simple................ Good players who stay healthy.
If we have that it won't matter who the DC is.

Right, then maybe we should have kept Sheridan

JB456
01-02-2013, 11:23 PM
Don't post legit facts. You will get flamed.

How many games did the Giants give up over 100 yards rushing. This defense is crap covered in burnt hair thrown is garbage water. People on here can pound their chests about the Giants being average in points allowed even though teams could march up and down the field on them all day long and keep the Giants offense off the field.

Also, for those who point to 2011 and the Giants Superbowl victory think about this: Eli had to throw for 5,000 yards in order to make the playoffs and we needed practically every single on to make it. Are you resting all your hope playoff hopes on Victor Cruz receiving for over 1,500 yards in order to squeak into the playoffs? I'm not...

JJC7301
01-03-2013, 12:15 AM
Players played like crap. I'm not a big Fewell fan, but the players played like crap when they're not injured.

I'll take a proven top-flight DC over Fewell, but I believe that for this year that the fault lays with the players.

sheepdip
01-03-2013, 11:22 AM
Defense was horrible and not only pass defense but rush defense too. Basically opponents could pick there poison on us and it didnt matter. Even 3 string RBs had career days.

31st total yards ?? There should be some head crackings !.

Now if we had a good DC and he was able to change some things motivate, scheme whatever maybe he could have overcome some of our offensive shortcomings. Heck he is the Coach !!!

offense

Take a way a couple of games vs really really bad defensive teams like ourselves and check out the numbers Saints, Bucs,Browns, Panthers, Eagles in GM2.
Scarry

Dont blame Nicks injury. We have pro bowler in Cruz, and we have a lot of capable bodies out there Randel, hixon, Bennet etc I dont want to hear Nicks is the reason. You need to adapt other teams do, look at GB. your telling me minus Nicks our offense shouldnt be better then most teams in the NFL ?
Why did we struggle down the stretch. Why didnt we change our offense more ?? Why did Eli look like Eli of old and not eli of last year. We have same QB and OC for how many years now. Why does red zone offense struggle so much ?

We were not very good on both sides of the ball but yet with both cords and we are magically going to turn everything around next year ??

The whole league got better on the giants and we took a step back it seems. Where do you see us in our own division. Dont think for a second that Skins wont be better next year they will be, Dallas is solid on defense and should be more consistent and better on offense next year. We might be battling the eagles for last place if we dont get out s together.

sheepdip
01-03-2013, 11:29 AM
My solution would be bring Spags back which I think he will be let go next year. Bring in a new OC which will get rid of our Low % deep down filed passing game that isnt working. Make this team more physical up front on both sides of the ball. We clearly got eaten alive up the middle of our defense. A DT priority for sure and some LBers that can run and tackle seeing we will be facing RG3 and more and more running QBs in the league.
I think the running game is actually pretty good when we actually stuck to it and committed to it.

Flip Empty
01-03-2013, 11:32 AM
Coughlin has already stated that there will be no coaching changes. Move on.

Buddy333
01-03-2013, 11:38 AM
YES! Another thread about the DC and OC. Didn't think there would be another one today.

CDN_G-FAN
01-03-2013, 11:40 AM
YES! Another thread about the DC and OC. Didn't think there would be another one today.

LOLOL

Morehead State
01-03-2013, 11:52 AM
Defense was horrible and not only pass defense but rush defense too. Basically opponents could pick there poison on us and it didnt matter. Even 3 string RBs had career days.

31st total yards ?? There should be some head crackings !.

Now if we had a good DC and he was able to change some things motivate, scheme whatever maybe he could have overcome some of our offensive shortcomings. Heck he is the Coach !!!

offense

Take a way a couple of games vs really really bad defensive teams like ourselves and check out the numbers Saints, Bucs,Browns, Panthers, Eagles in GM2.
Scarry

Dont blame Nicks injury. We have pro bowler in Cruz, and we have a lot of capable bodies out there Randel, hixon, Bennet etc I dont want to hear Nicks is the reason. You need to adapt other teams do, look at GB. your telling me minus Nicks our offense shouldnt be better then most teams in the NFL ?
Why did we struggle down the stretch. Why didnt we change our offense more ?? Why did Eli look like Eli of old and not eli of last year. We have same QB and OC for how many years now. Why does red zone offense struggle so much ?

We were not very good on both sides of the ball but yet with both cords and we are magically going to turn everything around next year ??

The whole league got better on the giants and we took a step back it seems. Where do you see us in our own division. Dont think for a second that Skins wont be better next year they will be, Dallas is solid on defense and should be more consistent and better on offense next year. We might be battling the eagles for last place if we dont get out s together.

Yes we were 31st in total yards given up on defense (which is a silly standard)
But we were 12th in points against (which is more important) and we were 3rd in turnovers created (which is VERY important)

Morehead State
01-03-2013, 11:54 AM
My solution would be bring Spags back which I think he will be let go next year. Bring in a new OC which will get rid of our Low % deep down filed passing game that isnt working. Make this team more physical up front on both sides of the ball. We clearly got eaten alive up the middle of our defense. A DT priority for sure and some LBers that can run and tackle seeing we will be facing RG3 and more and more running QBs in the league.
I think the running game is actually pretty good when we actually stuck to it and committed to it.
How ironic that you use the standard of yards per game, and use our standing at 31st in that catagory, to suggest we need a new DC.

Then you suggest we bring in the DC of the defense that was 32nd.

RoanokeFan
01-03-2013, 11:55 AM

Would you please just add your daily thoughts to one of your previous, numerous threads on this topic?

Moke
01-03-2013, 11:56 AM
Would you please just add your daily thoughts to one of your numerous threads on this topic?

We literally have 50 threads on the same topic all the time. I don't blame the mods anymore for not cleaning up the mess. Who wants to clean up all the same threads made by older people with no self-control anyway?

Morehead State
01-03-2013, 12:00 PM
We literally have 50 threads on the same topic all the time. I don't blame the mods anymore for not cleaning up the mess. Who wants to clean up all the same threads made by older people with no self-control anyway?
OK that hurts.

CDN_G-FAN
01-03-2013, 12:09 PM
Yes we were 31st in total yards given up on defense (which is a silly standard)
But we were 12th in points against (which is more important) and we were 3rd in turnovers created (which is VERY important)

i hated how we gave up huge plays, but i still remember the days when this defense couldn't buy a turnover. despite its warts the ability of this defense to take the ball away is HUGE in my eyes, and with an offense that played more to its ability, we would have won at least a couple more games based on those turnovers.

and btw, great point on the dump fewell for spags argument.

spags has done nothing on any other team he's coached, and the pass rush he used so masterfully on this one is literally gone now.

Morehead State
01-03-2013, 12:13 PM
i hated how we gave up huge plays, but i still remember the days when this defense couldn't buy a turnover. despite its warts the ability of this defense to take the ball away is HUGE in my eyes, and with an offense that played more to its ability, we would have won at least a couple more games based on those turnovers.

and btw, great point on the dump fewell for spags argument.

spags has done nothing on any other team he's coached, and the pass rush he used so masterfully on this one is literally gone now.

Our defense is getting torched without a pass rush. PF places just as much emphasis on that as Spags did. Our guys just didn't get it done.
That's not on the DC.
I also think (as I have said before) that PF's defense works better in the modern NFL with more mobile QB's. A bunch of press coverage is a recipe for giving up tons of yards by running QB's.

Moke
01-03-2013, 12:43 PM
OK that hurts.

You know what I mean MHS. We had tons of adults here supposedly that go out and create the same threads. I click 'what's new" and my section is clogged up with the same threads over and over again.

Not saying this is you though. Not all older people are crazy and impatient.

Morehead State
01-03-2013, 12:46 PM
You know what I mean MHS. We had tons of adults here supposedly that go out and create the same threads. I click 'what's new" and my section is clogged up with the same threads over and over again.

Not saying this is you though. Not all older people are crazy and impatient.
Yes we are.

Moke
01-03-2013, 12:48 PM
Yes we are.

I was just trying to make you feel better

sheepdip
01-08-2013, 10:06 AM
Umm how about Fewel and the D line coach help him ?? I dont understand why they need outside retired player to what motivate a million dollar player ? or is it tactical advice ?. Either way it seems shocking that we need to do this.

Here is a suggestion why dont you send all our lbers to LT to get some advice.

And send our corners to seek Mark Collins, Phillipi Sparks etc advice.

Drez
01-08-2013, 10:14 AM
Wow. You act like this is your idea.

Toadofsteel
01-08-2013, 10:23 AM
If Strahan didn't get his TV gigs, i wouldn't have been opposed to him being our D-line coach. I still wouldn't be if said TV gigs go sideways.

TCHOF
01-08-2013, 11:02 AM
Why is it so shocking that they would reach out for advice to a HOF DE?

flashnando
01-08-2013, 11:24 AM
Why is it so shocking that they would reach out for advice to a HOF DE?

I don't think its a problem really, i think the problem most fans have with this is....Leave the man alone! he is retired and like someone said earlier, why would you need to motivate a young million dollar rich player? He had 16 sacks last year and you would think a hungry player like JPP should look to match that or shoot to break his personal record. Why would you need someone to motivate you?

Drez
01-08-2013, 11:27 AM
I don't think its a problem really, i think the problem most fans have with this is....Leave the man alone! he is retired and like someone said earlier, why would you need to motivate a young million dollar rich player? He had 16 sacks last year and you would think a hungry player like JPP should look to match that or shoot to break his personal record. Why would you need someone to motivate you?
It isn't about motivation (necessarily), it's about how to still get production while fighting through double and triple teams.

flashnando
01-08-2013, 11:45 AM
It isn't about motivation (necessarily), it's about how to still get production while fighting through double and triple teams.

Right! so isn't that why the pay the coaches all that money?

TCHOF
01-08-2013, 12:49 PM

Who said that Strahan was being brought in to "motivate" JPP?

flashnando
01-08-2013, 12:51 PM
Who said that Strahan was being brought in to "motivate" JPP?

someone did lol

RoanokeFan
01-08-2013, 12:54 PM
Umm how about Fewel and the D line coach help him ?? I dont understand why they need outside retired player to what motivate a million dollar player ? or is it tactical advice ?. Either way it seems shocking that we need to do this.

I am impressed at the many ingenious ways you find to knock the coaching staff.

joemorrisforprez
01-08-2013, 01:14 PM
I think Fewell deserves some criticism, but in his defense, there were some major pieces to the 2011 championship that simply didn't show up in 2012.

JPP, Tuck, and Osi were nowhere near their performance in 2011.
Webster regressed (hopefully it is a one year problem, he also got burned on some sensational catches where his coverage was there).
KP was injured much of the year.
T2 was knocked out for the season.
Marvin Austin never showed up this year.
Canty was hurt much of the year.
Keith Rivers didn't have the impact that Reese was hoping for when he signed him.
Boley faded a bit this season.

Given all that, it's hard to lay it all on Fewell......however, I'll criticize him for not blitzing more when it was clear the 4 man rush wasn't as effective this season. He didn't rotate his DL as much as he should have.

Fewell deserves credit for 2011, and criticism for 2012.....hopefully he'll be his own toughest critic, and get stuff turned around in 2013.....but it might need some new faces, too.

RoanokeFan
01-08-2013, 01:19 PM
I think Fewell deserves some criticism, but in his defense, there were some major pieces to the 2011 championship that simply didn't show up in 2012.

JPP, Tuck, and Osi were nowhere near their performance in 2011.
Webster regressed (hopefully it is a one year problem, he also got burned on some sensational catches where his coverage was there).
KP was injured much of the year.
T2 was knocked out for the season.
Marvin Austin never showed up this year.
Canty was hurt much of the year.
Keith Rivers didn't have the impact that Reese was hoping for when he signed him.
Boley faded a bit this season.

Given all that, it's hard to lay it all on Fewell......however, I'll criticize him for not blitzing more when it was clear the 4 man rush wasn't as effective this season. He didn't rotate his DL as much as he should have.

Fewell deserves credit for 2011, and criticism for 2012.....hopefully he'll be his own toughest critic, and get stuff turned around in 2013.....but it might need some new faces, too.

I was reading the post about Corey Webster's numbers being down from last season, and, as you wrote, Osi and Tuck were MIA, etc.

We see everything after the fact. Going into the season, who would have said all of the things you point out would have come to pass? Fewell, and all coaches, have to play the cards they're dealt.

With all that went wrong this season, I still believe we are closer to making another run than it appears.

Toadofsteel
01-08-2013, 01:20 PM
I'm willing to give Fewell another pass, but Killdrive NEEDS TO BE GONE...

RoanokeFan
01-08-2013, 01:24 PM
I'm willing to give Fewell another pass, but Killdrive NEEDS TO BE GONE...

LOL I think Eli wants him here and, if I'm right, here he stays.

RoanokeFan
01-08-2013, 01:29 PM

How is that different than any employer arranging for an employee to improve their skills outside the walls of the organization?

Drez
01-08-2013, 01:32 PM
How is that different than any employer arranging for an employee to improve their skills outside the walls of the organization?
For true.

Hell, teachers in NYS are required by law to seek professional development outside of the school to keep their teaching certifications.

RoanokeFan
01-08-2013, 01:37 PM
For true.

Hell, teachers in NYS are required by law to seek professional development outside of the school to keep their teaching certifications.

We fans often lose perspective

TheAnalyst
01-08-2013, 01:42 PM
It's funny how quickly people forget Fewell held Brady to 17 points in the super bowl.

Oh wait, that wasn't Fewell, that was the players. This year? It was the DC not the players.

That is true, but he still had a bottom 5 defense in the regular season.

bigblue58
01-08-2013, 01:45 PM

We ranted about that over a week ago after we found out Fewell had quietly been given an extension! If you go back a little bit to older posts, believe me, you'll find all the complaining about Fewell that your little heart desires.

dezzzR
01-08-2013, 01:52 PM
After we were illiminated from making the playoffs, Antonio Pierce said we should find another DC. I believe he still has a good gist of whats going on in the locker room, and I believe most of the players feel the same way as AP.

Morehead State
01-08-2013, 01:58 PM
After we were illiminated from making the playoffs, Antonio Pierce said we should find another DC. I believe he still has a good gist of whats going on in the locker room, and I believe most of the players feel the same way as AP.
Are you suggesting that the inmates should run the asylum Dez?

RoanokeFan
01-08-2013, 03:06 PM

Based on what, exactly?

Shockeystays08
01-08-2013, 04:02 PM
I'm not a bif PF fan but our poor defensive performance this year falls mostly on the players. Up front Osi and Tuck , little to nothing. JPP seemed about average the whole season, Our middle d line was putrid vs the ran and had little push vs the pass. Boley pretty much a zero , Blackburn looked slow as a goat and was to often blocked out of the play easily, Kiwi,invisible! Webster , well he just stunk it up on a consistent basis. Stevie Brown, Prince and Rolle were the only players on d that showed positives more often than not.Schemes could they be better? yes but our downfall lies in player performance. We need to find a stud tackling machine MLB a sticky cover corner and a pass rusher. If this defense still fails with those upgrades then show PF the door.

TCHOF
01-08-2013, 04:15 PM

Maybe we should also get 3 or 4 pot-bellied, old, slow LB's who can emulate AP's last 2 years of play for us!

dezzzR
01-08-2013, 05:33 PM
Based on what, exactly? Hes still friends with Tuck, Osi and all them. Just a feeling.

dezzzR
01-08-2013, 05:39 PM
Are you suggesting that the inmates should run the asylum Dez? Not at all. Im suggesting that AP has a good idea of whats going on in the locker room and is still friends with some of the players. KP said he wasnt happy with how hes being used, maybe thats just the tip of the iceberg. Im also suggesting if the players have no faith in the plays being called theyre not going to give 100%

dezzzR
01-08-2013, 05:40 PM
Maybe we should also get 3 or 4 pot-bellied, old, slow LB's who can emulate AP's last 2 years of play for us!Our defense was outstanding in 08 (one of AP last 2 years) not sure what your point is....

RoanokeFan
01-08-2013, 05:41 PM
Hes still friends with Tuck, Osi and all them. Just a feeling.

I ask because no current player has voiced issues with TC that I am aware of. I don'[t know how close Pierce is to anyone on the team. We tend to think former players have ties but I'm not sure that's true except for Strahan.

Morehead State
01-08-2013, 05:45 PM
Our defense was outstanding in 08 (one of AP last 2 years) not sure what your point is....
Did you see AP trying to chase Westbrook that year?
Our defense definitely broke down near the end of the season.

TCHOF
01-08-2013, 06:19 PM

That's the exact image I was referring to - AP with his big belly bouncing, chasing Westbrook into the end zone.

dezzzR
01-08-2013, 06:19 PM
Our defense definitely broke down near the end of the season. Wow Im surprised its not Elis fault. 08 was better than any year Fewells been here statistically. youre going to base APs season on one play, against one of the fastest running backs in the league at the time? came on

hungrrrry
01-08-2013, 07:05 PM

Yes lets bring him back cant wait till next season...I've been doing that since the beginning of 2011's season...I am very disgusted we don't get rid of coaches like this.

RoanokeFan
01-08-2013, 07:55 PM

His true value was in calling the defense where he excelled

NYGisBallin
01-09-2013, 12:18 PM
The Giantsí defense gave up a franchise-worst 6,134 yards, up from 6,022 in 2011 -- the only two times the Giants have ever given up 6,000. - From Ralph Vacchiano

repeatchamps
01-09-2013, 12:25 PM
The Giants’ defense gave up a franchise-worst 6,134 yards, up from 6,022 in 2011 -- the only two times the Giants have ever given up 6,000. - From Ralph Vacchiano

Yet, there's absolutely no chance Perry Fewel will be fired. It is not all on him but this is really unacceptable and it's his unit and his responsibility. He only keeps his job probably because the points per game allowed actually went down this year when compared to last year.

Kruunch
01-09-2013, 12:25 PM
I support Alternative Fewells.

http://cottonwoodheights.utah.gov/img/Image/Generic%20images/alternativefuel.jpg

NYGisBallin
01-09-2013, 12:28 PM
I apologize.. This is already posted in the forum.. I didnt mean to duplicate. My bad.

Kruunch
01-09-2013, 12:29 PM
I apologize.. This is already posted in the forum.. I didnt mean to duplicate. My bad.

Deserves to be re-posted.

Bad defense is bad.

NYGisBallin
01-09-2013, 12:30 PM
Deserves to be re-posted.

Bad defense is bad.

LOL

CDN_G-FAN
01-09-2013, 12:31 PM
total yards in the nfl in 1991: 137,000 appox.

total yards in the nfl in 2011: 177,000 approx.

i'm not arguing we had a great year in 2012 on defense, but comparing an era where the NFL's focus is on offensive production and protecting offensive players to any other is not intellectually honest.

Kruunch
01-09-2013, 12:36 PM

i'm not arguing we had a great year in 2012 on defense, but comparing an era where the NFL's focus is on offensive production and protecting offensive players to any other is not intellectually honest.

True ... but we're still 30th in the league (down from 27th in the league last year). And would you say the Giants have had a good defense under Fewell over the course of the past 3 years?

Points per game: 17th (2010), 25th (2011), tied 12th (2012)

During his tenure here, our defense has been in the bottom half of the league overall.

dezzzR
01-09-2013, 02:12 PM
I support Alternative Fewells.

http://cottonwoodheights.utah.gov/img/Image/Generic images/alternativefuel.jpghahaha lol

dezzzR
01-09-2013, 02:13 PM

i'm not arguing we had a great year in 2012 on defense, but comparing an era where the NFL's focus is on offensive production and protecting offensive players to any other is not intellectually honest.Any way you want to slice it, 12000 yards in two years is pathetic.
We gave up over 2055 yards on the ground this year. Thats an avg of over 120 yards per game.

Harooni
01-09-2013, 02:17 PM
i support feewell because all the 3 and outs and turnovers on offense has made them look worse. doesnt have one starting Linebacker has 1 starting CB. and a few babies on the Dline.

Rudyy
01-09-2013, 02:17 PM
i support feewell because all the 3 and outs and turnovers on offense has made them look worse. doesnt have one starting Linebacker has 1 starting CB. and a few babies on the Dline.It would help the defense a ton if they can get a 3 and out themselves :D

Harooni
01-09-2013, 02:21 PM
It would help the defense a ton if they can get a 3 and out themselves :D cute, but they do get them , often times we are holding teams to 18 points and causeing turnovers only to have tynes break the fg record

Rudyy
01-09-2013, 02:24 PM
cute, but they do get them , often times we are holding teams to 18 points and causeing turnovers only to have tynes break the fg recordNo, we dont get them. Yes we are a good red zone team but we are terrible at stopping..well anything.

Buddy333
01-09-2013, 03:00 PM
It would help the defense a ton if they can get a 3 and out themselves :DYeah and when they did the offense went 3 and out. The team has problems on both sides.

Buddy333
01-09-2013, 03:00 PM
No, we dont get them. Yes we are a good red zone team but we are terrible at stopping..well anything.They are a good red zone team?

Rudyy
01-09-2013, 03:02 PM
They are a good red zone team?Defense wasnt bad in the red zone. Not good but not terrible.

Morehead State
They are a good red zone team?
They were 6th in the NFL in red zone defense.

Rudyy
Yeah and when they did the offense went 3 and out. The team has problems on both sides.I already know the offense has problems

Buddy333
01-09-2013, 03:05 PM
Sorry; thought you where talking about the offense.

Morehead State
01-09-2013, 03:06 PM
Sorry; thought you where talking about the offense.
Oh God...the offense was deplorable in the red zone.
That was a disgrace.

Kruunch
01-09-2013, 03:10 PM
They were 6th in the NFL in red zone defense.

Or in other words, our defense was fine when the other team didn't have the whole field at its disposal.

Rudyy
01-09-2013, 03:11 PM
Or in other words, our defense was fine when the other team didn't have the whole field at its disposal.ha

Morehead State
01-09-2013, 03:12 PM
Or in other words, our defense was fine when the other team didn't have the whole field at its disposal.
Pretty much.

Buddy333
01-09-2013, 03:15 PM
Not saying they played great, but as long as they keep points off the board they can live with that. They finished 12th in points allowed. That's not that bad especially considering that there wasn't that much difference with the teams ahead of them with the exception of maybe 3 teams hat really stood out.

GiantRoc
01-09-2013, 03:33 PM
All in all it was a tough year. The defense was not very good, especially when it really needed to be. Was it Fewell's fault? I'm sure he thinks he could have done a better job. Let's face it, our guys did not play well. We had a very bad linebacking corp. Our D-line was hit and miss many games. Secondary was spotty. Although, I would take our Safety corp over most any in the league. Prince I thought played well too. One thing we have to remember, we played one of the toughest schedules in the league. We also played the schedule with an aweful lot of key injuries. Would a better DC have made changes to make up for injuries? We can never know that. I don't know how the defense played as well as they did at the end of last year. Again, was it coaching or the players? I think we kinda have to give Fewell one more year to know if he has the goods or not. Definately need to upgrade LBs and get some corner depth incase Webster craps the bed again, and DL depth would help.

As was said earlier, a better showing on offense would be a huge boost to the D as well. Bottom line, we were 9-7. Plenty of room for improvement all around.

NYG4lifeNYK
01-09-2013, 05:18 PM
Think about it.

He was rewarded for helping to win a Super Bowl despite a terrible, terrible, terrible defense during the regular season.

2011: Points (25th), Yards (27th) - Again... we won because of Eli's miraculous comebacks
2012: Points (12th), Yards (31st) - Good in the Redzone, beyond abysmal overall

The organization handcuffed themselves when they gave him the extension. He was going to be here this next season no matter if our defense was 32nd in points AND 32nd in yards.

Let's hope Eli and the receiving corps can stay healthy next season because we're going to have to put up points. I'd hope for a middle of the road defense in yards and hopefully we can remain strong in the red zone.

Imgrate
01-09-2013, 05:27 PM
So sheepdip.

You want kg and pf fired.

I'm assuming you also believe hufnagel, tim lewis and sheridan were terrible.That is 5 of 6 coordinators that TC has hired that you do not like. I suggest you make a thread about tc instead of his coordinators.

Drez
01-09-2013, 07:36 PM
Considering if we didn't extend him, his contract would have been up after this year, then logic would dictate that, yes, we would have gotten rid of him.

Diamondring
01-09-2013, 07:40 PM
The shedule was too tough.

TooStupid
01-10-2013, 06:29 AM
Next year will be another poor defensive effort as long as the Giants refuse to can Fewel. Bank on it.

TCHOF
01-10-2013, 07:12 AM
Hard to take predictions from a poster with your screen name seriously.

Old Giant
01-10-2013, 07:27 AM
Next year will be another poor defensive effort as long as the Giants refuse to can Fewel. Bank on it.

Not even done with the playoffs for this season and according to you, no point in the Giants showing up for next year. I hate doom and gloom posts.
You might consider changing your moniker.

Diamondring
01-10-2013, 07:31 AM
Not even done with the playoffs for this season and according to you, no point in the Giants showing up for next year. I hate doom and gloom posts.
You might consider changing your moniker.He is just making a prediction. Saying how the Giants end up and seeing it are two different things. He might also want to see if he is right or wrong. If he is right then he can talk mess. If he is wrong then you can talk mess about his prediction.

gumby74
01-10-2013, 10:02 AM

It counts for something, but not enough to say he's doing an adequate job. You telling me that with a defense with Tuck, Osi, JPP, Boley, Webster, Prince, Joseph, Canty, Rolle, KP, it's ok to be almost last in total defense? Yes I realize that the # of poitns given up wasn't nearly as bad as yards given up etc etc. I mean c'mon. We weren't even an average to below average defense. We were one of the worst in the league.

Our defense was terrible the year we won the SB also. But people didn't want to hear it because well, we won the SB. And all of a sudden everything is rosey.

If 2011 Eli is the norm, then maybe we don't need a better defense. But if 2012/Non 2011 Eli is the norm, then Fewell's performance is not going to cut it.

Buddy333
01-10-2013, 10:17 AM
Again, they where 12th in point allowed. That's not that bad. They do need to get someone opposite JPP to rush the passer and if they can stay healthy in the secondary it would do wonders. As far as rankings for defense it goes by yards and the difference between 31 and 10 is 50 yards.

Morehead State
01-10-2013, 10:43 AM
It counts for something, but not enough to say he's doing an adequate job. You telling me that with a defense with Tuck, Osi, JPP, Boley, Webster, Prince, Joseph, Canty, Rolle, KP, it's ok to be almost last in total defense? Yes I realize that the # of poitns given up wasn't nearly as bad as yards given up etc etc. I mean c'mon. We weren't even an average to below average defense. We were one of the worst in the league.

Our defense was terrible the year we won the SB also. But people didn't want to hear it because well, we won the SB. And all of a sudden everything is rosey.

If 2011 Eli is the norm, then maybe we don't need a better defense. But if 2012/Non 2011 Eli is the norm, then Fewell's performance is not going to cut it.

Our defense was lousy in the regular season of 2011. And we were 7-7 going into the Jets game. Our defense from then on came into their own and was outstanding thru the playoff run. That's why we won the SB.
We can argue as to why we improved so much later in the season. But PF didn't all of the sudden get smarter. We had a lot of player come back from injury and we exploited some good matchups.

gumby74
01-10-2013, 02:34 PM
Our defense was lousy in the regular season of 2011. And we were 7-7 going into the Jets game. Our defense from then on came into their own and was outstanding thru the playoff run. That's why we won the SB.
We can argue as to why we improved so much later in the season. But PF didn't all of the sudden get smarter. We had a lot of player come back from injury and we exploited some good matchups.

The only player that came back was Osi, if i recall correctly. It was debatable if Tuck got healthier,etc. But if a couple players will make the difference between a terrible defense and a great one, you're not doing your job as a d-coordinator.

Buddy333
01-10-2013, 02:37 PM
The only player that came back was Osi, if i recall correctly. It was debatable if Tuck got healthier,etc. But if a couple players will make the difference between a terrible defense and a great one, you're not doing your job as a d-coordinator.Eh, one player can make a difference though. They lost 3 games by a total of 7 points. A better paying Webster or a better playing DE and they are in the playoffs.

RoanokeFan
01-10-2013, 02:39 PM
http://www.bigblueview.com/2013/1/10/3856100/new-york-giants-2012-season-in-review-perry-fewell-defensive-coordinator

Excerpt: "The New York Giants (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/teams/new-york-giants) were historically bad on defense (http://www.bigblueview.com/2013/1/9/3855230/new-york-giants-by-the-numbers-fast-facts-about-the-2012-season)during the 2012 NFL season. The Giants Giants surrendered more yards and more yards per game than any defense in the history of the franchise, and finished second-to-last in the league overall for the first time since 1966.

Even the 2009 defense with the vilified and quickly run out of town Bill Sheridan at the controls wasn't this bad, at least in terms of yardage allowed. That group surrendered 324.9 yards per game (13th in the league). It is less the numbers of yards and more the fact that Sheridan's group was 13th, while this year's team was 31st in yardage allowed.The deeper you look at the numbers the uglier the picture gets. Here are some numbers that confirm the stark, ugly truth. The Giants' defense was atrocious in 2012.

From Team Rankings (http://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/team-stats/):

Yards Allowed Per Game -- 383.4 (31st)
Opponent Yards Per Play -- 6.0 (30th)
Opponent Third Down Conversion Percentage -- 42.42 percent (30th)
Opponent Yards Per Rush Attempt -- 4.6 (27th)
Opponent Completion Percentage -- 63.86 percent (26th)
Opponent Passing Yards Per Game -- 254.2 (26th)
Opponent Avg. Team Passer Rating -- 88.2 (20th)
Opponent Yards per Pass Attempt -- 7.6 (31st)
Sack Percentage -- 5.82 percent (22nd)
Takeaways Per Game -- 2.2 (3rd)

How much blame does defensive coordinator Perry Fewell get for this mess? From this vantage point, probably a considerable amount.

Let's keep in mind that this season's performance really was not an aberration. The Giants' defense really wasn't very good in 2011, either. Yes, they had the six-game stretch at the end of the season where schemes were simplified and they performed at a championship level, and ultimately won a Super Bowl. Yes, they had 48 sacks in 2011 to 33 for this season. The 2011 group still finished 22nd in the NFL in total defense and surrendered 22.8 points per game, more points per game than it did this season.There are three fundamental issues, and all have been present for most of the past two seasons.

Inconsistent pass rush
Inability to stop the run
Surrendering too many long passing plays

Let's examine all three areas, and where Fewell may or may not be culpable." Read more...

gumby74
01-10-2013, 03:00 PM
Eh, one player can make a difference though. They lost 3 games by a total of 7 points. A better paying Webster or a better playing DE and they are in the playoffs.

Not that big a difference. We're talking about night and day here. Fewell calls defense like it's a mechanical part. If it's missing a piece, it all falls a part. That is terrible. When half the Cowboys defense went down with injury, did they fall to the bottom of the defense list? Nope. When 3/4 of the Steeler linebackers and Polamalu were hurt, did they fall to the bottom of the list? Nope. You don't just fall from top 10 to last because of 1 or 2 people. You adjust accordingly. It's acceptable to become average or a below average defese, but not terrible. We were terrible. Last year included.

Buddy333
01-10-2013, 03:14 PM
Not that big a difference. We're talking about night and day here. Fewell calls defense like it's a mechanical part. If it's missing a piece, it all falls a part. That is terrible. When half the Cowboys defense went down with injury, did they fall to the bottom of the defense list? Nope. When 3/4 of the Steeler linebackers and Polamalu were hurt, did they fall to the bottom of the list? Nope. You don't just fall from top 10 to last because of 1 or 2 people. You adjust accordingly. It's acceptable to become average or a below average defese, but not terrible. We were terrible. Last year included.Dallas is a bad example though. They allowed like 4 more points a game and 30 yards less a game which is how they rank defense. So, yes, even they struggled with injuries. The Steelers are a good defensive team. Ranked #1 by yards, but only slightly better than the Giants defense in points allowed. Not defending them, they need work, but injuries could have cost them one game. Bad play by some veterans this year could have cost them another. Just saying as bad as the ranking says they where they are not that far off. Wonder what those stats where like before their last two losses where the entire team forgot how to play. They where 8th in points allowed at that time.

Morehead State
01-10-2013, 03:32 PM
The only player that came back was Osi, if i recall correctly. It was debatable if Tuck got healthier,etc. But if a couple players will make the difference between a terrible defense and a great one, you're not doing your job as a d-coordinator.
Boley and Prince plus a healthier Tuck.

gumby74
01-10-2013, 03:37 PM
Dallas is a bad example though. They allowed like 4 more points a game and 30 yards less a game which is how they rank defense. So, yes, even they struggled with injuries. The Steelers are a good defensive team. Ranked #1 by yards, but only slightly better than the Giants defense in points allowed. Not defending them, they need work, but injuries could have cost them one game. Bad play by some veterans this year could have cost them another. Just saying as bad as the ranking says they where they are not that far off. Wonder what those stats where like before their last two losses where the entire team forgot how to play. They where 8th in points allowed at that time.

Yeah but struggle like we did? there is a huge difference between a slight drop off and falling off a cliff like we did.

gumby74
01-10-2013, 03:39 PM
Boley and Prince plus a healthier Tuck.

Yeah those 4 coming back doesn't warrant all of a sudden becoming a top 10 defense imo - essentially us jumping 20 spots in the defensive rankings.

ShakeandBake
01-10-2013, 03:51 PM
Yeah those 4 coming back doesn't warrant all of a sudden becoming a top 10 defense imo - essentially us jumping 20 spots in the defensive rankings.

Blackburn, Tuck, Osi, Boley, Prince all contributed greatly last year during the playoff run. Getting essentially half of your starters back and healthy on defense is going to make a big difference in their performance.

GeoGoGo
01-10-2013, 04:23 PM

Yes and take Killdrive with him.

Buddy333
01-10-2013, 04:24 PM
Yeah but struggle like we did? there is a huge difference between a slight drop off and falling off a cliff like we did.True, but did anyone see the season Webster had coming? The last time we saw Tuck and Osi they where pressuring the QB almost every play it seemed. Just give this defense one pass rusher and a solid CB opposite Prince and they are a better defense.

JesseJames
01-10-2013, 05:05 PM
what in Gods name has us winning the SB last year got to do with the team playing so crappy this year, that SB win was last year. Even if the players did play badly isn't it the coaches job to correct that. As far as the bad tackling goes the coaches also see that in practice and know the team sucks at tackling, I guess coaches just don't teach tackling anymore...

GoDeep80
01-10-2013, 05:15 PM
What people don't understand is that Fewell's defense is messing with our offense as well! His defense might be allowing 21ppg but when our offense is averaging the second least amount of plays per game because Fewell's defense allows teams to continue and prolong drives because of all the yards they give up and first downs they allow! and when a team does punt their punting from mid field and giving our offense horrible field position all game! The best way to limit an offense is to keep them off the field and give them bad field position and because of Fewell that's happening! Fewell's horrible defense is affecting a lot more than you know and he needs to go ASAP!!

Buddy333
01-10-2013, 05:26 PM
Maybe the offense isn't on the field enough because they go 3 and out to much.

sharick88
01-10-2013, 05:27 PM
This one's easy. In 2012, Perry Fewell sucked.

Morehead State
01-10-2013, 05:58 PM
And yet it happened.

RoanokeFan
01-10-2013, 06:10 PM
Oh God...the offense was deplorable in the red zone.
That was a disgrace.

Except for the last game, go figure

RoanokeFan
01-10-2013, 06:10 PM
What people don't understand is that Fewell's defense is messing with our offense as well! His defense might be allowing 21ppg but when our offense is averaging the second least amount of plays per game because Fewell's defense allows teams to continue and prolong drives because of all the yards they give up and first downs they allow! and when a team does punt their punting from mid field and giving our offense horrible field position all game! The best way to limit an offense is to keep them off the field and give them bad field position and because of Fewell that's happening! Fewell's horrible defense is affecting a lot more than you know and he needs to go ASAP!!

You know he's staying , right?

RoanokeFan
01-10-2013, 06:11 PM
what in Gods name has us winning the SB last year got to do with the team playing so crappy this year, that SB win was last year. Even if the players did play badly isn't it the coaches job to correct that. As far as the bad tackling goes the coaches also see that in practice and know the team sucks at tackling, I guess coaches just don't teach tackling anymore...

The new CBA doens't allow it, for the most part, in practice

Morehead State
01-10-2013, 06:13 PM
Except for the last game, go figure
The Eagles were on the plane home about halfway through the first quarter.

RoanokeFan
01-10-2013, 06:16 PM

Don't burst my bubble

embeshAtYa
01-10-2013, 06:16 PM
Im sure the playbook will be tweaked.

Astorian
01-10-2013, 06:32 PM

Not that it affects your well-taken point, but surely they traveled by bus.

harrycarson
01-11-2013, 01:00 AM

Yes it is the leaders fault. His schemes are terrible, he must go...Our defense is dredful and someone MUST be held accountable as it was the largest reason we did not make the playoffs

harrycarson
01-11-2013, 01:01 AM

Spot On

wrek537emc
01-11-2013, 03:14 AM
Spot On
Agreed!
When the opposing offense had their way with our D, that was more frustrating to watch than our O's ineptness. Guys were lost out there sometimes expecting safety help but the safety was no where in sight. No pressure up front.