PDA

View Full Version : Retired Giants' DE Michael Strahan Concerned About Brain Disease After 15 Seasons

RoanokeFan
01-10-2013, 03:35 PM
http://www.giants101.com/2013/01/10/retired-new-york-giants-de-michael-strahan-concerned-about-brain-disease-after-15-years-in-nfl/

Excerpt: "Slightly more than eight months removed from his shocking and unexpected suicide, test results done on the brain of former San Diego Chargers linebacker Junior Seau have yielded concerning results. Scientists who conducted tests on Seau's brain announced on Thursday that the Pro Bowler suffered from chronic traumatic encephalopathy (CTE), a degenerative brain disease thought to be brought on by two decades of violence in the NFL (http://www.giants101.com/tag/nfl/).

Upon hearing the news, retired New York Giants (http://www.giants101.com/tag/new-york-giants/) defensive end Michael Strahan gave some serious thought to his playing days and what the future may hold for him.

“Of course it [concerns me]. Personally I feel great but wonder if (one) day I wake up and that has changed. Just read about Seau's results and [it's] scary," Strahan told CBS Sports (http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/mike-freeman/21534539/michael-strahan-cte-a-long-term-health-concern)." Read more...

flashnando
01-10-2013, 04:30 PM
http://www.giants101.com/2013/01/10/retired-new-york-giants-de-michael-strahan-concerned-about-brain-disease-after-15-years-in-nfl/

Excerpt: "Slightly more than eight months removed from his shocking and unexpected suicide, test results done on the brain of former San Diego Chargers linebacker Junior Seau have yielded concerning results. Scientists who conducted tests on Seau's brain announced on Thursday that the Pro Bowler suffered from chronic traumatic encephalopathy (CTE), a degenerative brain disease thought to be brought on by two decades of violence in the NFL (http://www.giants101.com/tag/nfl/).

Upon hearing the news, retired New York Giants (http://www.giants101.com/tag/new-york-giants/) defensive end Michael Strahan gave some serious thought to his playing days and what the future may hold for him.

“Of course it [concerns me]. Personally I feel great but wonder if (one) day I wake up and that has changed. Just read about Seau's results and [it's] scary," Strahan told CBS Sports (http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/mike-freeman/21534539/michael-strahan-cte-a-long-term-health-concern)." Read more...

When i read these things i realize that as much fun as we make for the league turning the NFL into flag football, we forget that serious things like this can happen to these players. It may not be as violent as in the past but doesn't mean it cant be competitive or fun to watch. No million dollar contract is worth the life of any player and the more good changes they make to keep these players safe and away from issues like this i am for it. now for the idea where Goodell said no more kickoff returns and the other team starts at the 20 yard line and its 4th down lol......that's a dumb idea.

slipknottin
01-10-2013, 04:39 PM
CTE needs to terrify every player in the league. What good is making millions if it comes with degenerative brain diseases that make you depressed and dementia.

NFL and every other sports league where head injuries occur frequently need to find every way they can to prevent them.

Players complain about their knees and backs and other things, and I understand what they are saying, that affects their livelihood, but seriously injuring your brain affects your ability to even realize you are alive.

gmen0820
01-10-2013, 04:43 PM
Scariest thing is the UPenn kid who never even had a concussion but committed suicide with a terrible looking brain anyway.

barran21
01-10-2013, 04:44 PM
Teams are teaching these guys to lead with their head, how come guy like **** Butkus and other legends of the game who are still alive today is perfectly fine? they need to completely get rid of lowering your head on both sides of the ball, they are fining defensive players for leading with helmet but it's perfect fine for a RB though, this is messed up thing to say, but i am waiting for the day when a RB lowers his head and crushes his spinal cord only then the NFL will change the rules... the true art of tackling is dead in the NFL..

gmen0820
01-10-2013, 04:47 PM
but i am waiting for the day when a RB lowers his head and crushes his spinal cord only then the NFL will change the rules... the true art of tackling is dead in the NFL..Can't say that's atop my waiting list lol

NYGisBallin
01-10-2013, 04:54 PM
Teams are teaching these guys to lead with their head, how come guy like **** Butkus and other legends of the game who are still alive today is perfectly fine? they need to completely get rid of lowering your head on both sides of the ball, they are fining defensive players for leading with helmet but it's perfect fine for a RB though, this is messed up thing to say, but i am waiting for the day when a RB lowers his head and crushes his spinal cord only then the NFL will change the rules... the true art of tackling is dead in the NFL..

Guys like **** Butkus were taught the right way to hit and make tackles.

gumby74
01-10-2013, 04:55 PM
The fix is actually very easy. Get rid of the helmets and armor.

NYGisBallin
01-10-2013, 04:55 PM
Can't say that's atop my waiting list lol

Yep, Right up there with the cruise to belize.

NYGisBallin
01-10-2013, 04:57 PM
The fix is actually very easy. Get rid of the helmets and armor.

I always thought it would be interesting if you got rid of just the facemask.. Made a stronger and more durable helmet around the top of the head and had the face exposed kinda like they did in the old days how that would work in "Today's" NFL....

giant-4-life
01-10-2013, 05:43 PM
Guys like **** Butkus were taught the right way to hit and make tackles.

yep just good football mechanics

RoanokeFan
01-10-2013, 06:15 PM
CTE needs to terrify every player in the league. What good is making millions if it comes with degenerative brain diseases that make you depressed and dementia.

NFL and every other sports league where head injuries occur frequently need to find every way they can to prevent them.

Players complain about their knees and backs and other things, and I understand what they are saying, that affects their livelihood, but seriously injuring your brain affects your ability to even realize you are alive.

Well said. We need to think of this^ when they start talking about looking at kickoffs which account for more than 30% of head injuries.

RoanokeFan
01-10-2013, 06:19 PM
I always thought it would be interesting if you got rid of just the facemask.. Made a stronger and more durable helmet around the top of the head and had the face exposed kinda like they did in the old days how that would work in "Today's" NFL....

I just don't know that any piece of equipment will solve the brain injury issue. Concussions, for example, are the result of the briain striking the inside of the skull. It's not an external strike issue, per se. It's the rapid movement of the head followed by movement of the brain within the skull that creates the danger.

Jppallday
01-10-2013, 09:14 PM
Hey you know what players know what could happen while playing this game. They are being paid top dollar for the risk, and if they don't want to take a chance, then they shouldn't sign up for the draft. Plain and simple

TextureDj
01-10-2013, 09:28 PM
I just don't know that any piece of equipment will solve the brain injury issue. Concussions, for example, are the result of the briain striking the inside of the skull. It's not an external strike issue, per se. It's the rapid movement of the head followed by movement of the brain within the skull that creates the danger.They could make a helmet right now that greatly reduces the severe brain injuries. It would jhave to be more like a motorcycle helmet inside and designed to deform on impact and dampen the brains movement inside the skull.

Trouble is, like amotorcycle helmet it would have to be replaced after the slightest hint of impact. Replacing 22 helmets a play would make the game unwatchable.

BigBlueOnes
01-10-2013, 09:33 PM
How often do they replace helmets now?

Redeyejedi
01-10-2013, 09:41 PM
I just don't know that any piece of equipment will solve the brain injury issue. Concussions, for example, are the result of the briain striking the inside of the skull. It's not an external strike issue, per se. It's the rapid movement of the head followed by movement of the brain within the skull that creates the danger.Padding inside the Skull can solve that problem

Redeyejedi
01-10-2013, 09:43 PM
U can come down harder on Steroids on all levels guys would be smaller

Harooni
01-10-2013, 10:07 PM
I don't think you are meant to play more than 8 seasons,. when you ad college to it also 15 years plus college and peewee. we are talking a lot of time.

i think this is part of the reason Tiki hung it up when he did.

TextureDj
01-10-2013, 10:19 PM
I don't think you are meant to play more than 8 seasons,. when you ad college to it also 15 years plus college and peewee. we are talking a lot of time.

i think this is part of the reason Tiki hung it up when he did.I am pretty sure at this point that you are Tiki. I mean no one, but Tiki could be this in love with Tiki.