PDA

View Full Version : Giants were healthiest team in NFC East.

nhpgiantsfan
01-11-2013, 09:30 AM
http://www.giants101.com/2013/01/10/new-york-giants-were-least-injured-team-in-nfc-east-which-was-nfls-most-injured-division/

I guess we can't complain too much about our injuries. It happens to everyone. Although Hakeem Nicks might be the most damning injury in the division.

Rudyy
01-11-2013, 09:50 AM
http://www.giants101.com/2013/01/10/new-york-giants-were-least-injured-team-in-nfc-east-which-was-nfls-most-injured-division/I guess we can't complain too much about our injuries. It happens to everyone. Although Hakeem Nicks might be the most damning injury in the division.Very true.

ryan12
01-11-2013, 09:53 AM
having nicks hurt killed us. sean locklear hurt us ab wasnt 100% healty this year. we lost andre brown.. we might have not had alot of injurys but the people who were injured were key players

TuckandRolle
01-11-2013, 09:57 AM
Hakeem Nicks has more value then any losses on the other teams in our division except for maybe Sean Lee. Our losses were major losses to our structure of team.

Kruunch
01-11-2013, 10:16 AM
http://www.giants101.com/2013/01/10/new-york-giants-were-least-injured-team-in-nfc-east-which-was-nfls-most-injured-division/

I guess we can't complain too much about our injuries. It happens to everyone. Although Hakeem Nicks might be the most damning injury in the division.

Every year we have injuries and the fans think we've got it the worst.

Every team deals with injuries ... short of a QB (and in some cases, not even that) injuries aren't an excuse for anything but bad coaching and front office work.

TCHOF
01-11-2013, 10:31 AM
having nicks hurt killed us. sean locklear hurt us ab wasnt 100% healty this year. we lost andre brown.. we might have not had alot of injurys but the people who were injured were key players

Add to the mix that Snee was playing with a hip injury, Webster was banged up all year, phillips missed a ton of games and Tuck's body is just generally wearing down and you've got a real problem because the injuries prevented a good percentage of our key players from making the contributions expected of them.

nhpgiantsfan
01-11-2013, 10:47 AM
Add to the mix that Snee was playing with a hip injury, Webster was banged up all year, phillips missed a ton of games and Tuck's body is just generally wearing down and you've got a real problem because the injuries prevented a good percentage of our key players from making the contributions expected of them.

I'm not gonna use Websters broken hand as an excuse for why he beat all year. And if Tuck's body is wearing down then its time for him to hang it up.

Marvelousmik
01-11-2013, 10:49 AM
Hakeem Nicks has more value then any losses on the other teams in our division except for maybe Sean Lee. Our losses were major losses to our structure of team.

Nah, its just another excuse.

Other teams have injuries to key players as well. the ravens defense was hit hard this year. jordy nelson had a nagging injury and jennings missed most of the season. dez, murray, and miles all missed games and were playing injured. As a matter a fact the cowboys were way more banged up than us this season. I can keep the list going but you get the point.

I notice a pattern on here. We exaggerate everything. If the O line gives up a sack we have the worst o line. If the D line plays good then we have the best D line. If a key player gets injured then we get the worst injuries. Injuries is not the reason we didnt make the playoffs.

Marvelousmik
01-11-2013, 10:54 AM
Not sitting nicks and giving a healthy randel more snaps killed us.. sean locklear hurt us ab wasnt 100% healty this year just like every orther year, but still had over 1000 yards. we lost andre brown who we hardly used, and didnt bother to use david wilson..

fixed. lol

alentown pa
01-11-2013, 10:59 AM
I found it alarming how much in the positive our turnover ratio was combine that with this team being one if the healthier teams in the league and there is no reason why this wasnt a 12 win team

Rudyy
01-11-2013, 11:13 AM
Nah, its just another excuse.Other teams have injuries to key players as well. the ravens defense was hit hard this year. jordy nelson had a nagging injury and jennings missed most of the season. dez, murray, and miles all missed games and were playing injured. As a matter a fact the cowboys were way more banged up than us this season. I can keep the list going but you get the point.I notice a pattern on here. We exaggerate everything. If the O line gives up a sack we have the worst o line. If the D line plays good then we have the best D line. If a key player gets injured then we get the worst injuries. Injuries is not the reason we didnt make the playoffs.It's not the only reason we did poorly offensively but it is not an excuse either http://m.nydailynews.com/1.1233163 Should have sat him

Marvelousmik
01-11-2013, 11:26 AM
It's not the only reason we did poorly offensively but it is not an excuse either http://m.nydailynews.com/1.1233163 Should have sat him

i agree with jerry reese. But i dont believe we had the worst injuries in the division. The Eagles and cowboys had it worse. The redskins lost their best player on defense and lost their qb for a game. these thing happen.

But You know what i realized yesterday? I saw a thread about bill cowher possibly being our head coach and the thought of TC retiring brought a smile to my face. Deep down even though i hate to admit it, I dont really like TC as the head coach even though i do believe he is great at getting guys prepared. i know im not a coach but I just feel he doesnt make good decisions when it comes to giving guys play time and it really annoys me lol. How do you sit ojomo the whole season, and barely give randel and wilson playing time even though guys at those positions were injured? what happened to the next man up?

Ntegrase96
01-11-2013, 11:31 AM

I'd put them on equal footing. Lee may be the best ILB in the division and is not only the heart and soul of the defense, he's also the brains.

Rudyy
01-11-2013, 11:34 AM
i agree with jerry reese. But i dont believe we had the worst injuries in the division. The Eagles and cowboys had it worse. The redskins lost their best player on defense and lost their qb for a game. these thing happen. But You know what i realized yesterday? I saw a thread about bill cowher possibly being our head coach and the thought of TC retiring brought a smile to my face. Deep down even though i hate to admit it, I dont really like TC as the head coach even though i do believe he is great at getting guys prepared. i know im not a coach but I just feel he doesnt make good decisions when it comes to giving guys play time and it really annoys me lol. How do you sit ojomo the whole season, and barely give randel and wilson playing time even though guys at those positions were injured? what happened to the next man up?Great at getting guys prepared? Hmm..

TCHOF
01-11-2013, 11:35 AM
I'm not gonna use Websters broken hand as an excuse for why he beat all year. And if Tuck's body is wearing down then its time for him to hang it up.

Webster also battled hamstring issues all year. Not an excuse for his poor play, but a fact nonetheless.

repeatchamps
01-11-2013, 11:36 AM
I found it alarming how much in the positive our turnover ratio was combine that with this team being one if the healthier teams in the league and there is no reason why this wasnt a 12 win team

12 wins could have been attained easily. 10 point lead in 4th against the Steelers: lose. Chance to win the game with a last second FG in Philly, missed the FG. Lose by only one point to the Skins in Washington (missed FG in that game too but even with that one point is so close).

Ntegrase96
01-11-2013, 11:39 AM

Every team deals with injuries ... short of a QB (and in some cases, not even that) injuries aren't an excuse for anything but bad coaching and front office work.

I agree to some extent. Every team has injuries and you're supposed to deal with them, but what if the multiple injuries you have are at very important positions and keep compounding in that same position.

For instance, ILB for the Cowboys. Sean Lee was placed on IR. Then the guy that wasn't his direct back up, but took over his duty, Bruce Carter goes out for the season. Meanwhile the other ILB you've picked up in the offseason, Dan Connor, is in and out of the game with injuries so you have to go get Ernie Sims off his couch who plays very well, but also gets knocked out of a few games with a concussion. So you have to dig deep into your roster only to find that two of your other ILBs Orie Lemon and rookie Caleb McSurdy are both on IR. You have to go with Poppinga who was picked in FA two weeks before and Alex Albright who has so far been a hybrid OLB/ILB with some looks at TE.

And it doesn't help them that your starting NT and DE are out as well as the best starting safety behind you.

Sometimes injuries just handcuff you.

Marvelousmik
01-11-2013, 11:41 AM
Great at getting guys prepared? Hmm..

i feel that since hes been in the business as a head coach for a while and has 2 rings he knows a thing or 2 at getting guys prepared for a game. i truly believe that. Im also sure many would disagree with this. But i like to look at overall success.

Marvelousmik
01-11-2013, 11:45 AM
I agree to some extent. Every team has injuries and you're supposed to deal with them, but what if the multiple injuries you have are at very important positions and keep compounding in that same position.

For instance, ILB for the Cowboys. Sean Lee was placed on IR. Then the guy that wasn't his direct back up, but took over his duty, Bruce Carter goes out for the season. Meanwhile the other ILB you've picked up in the offseason, Dan Connor, is in and out of the game with injuries so you have to go get Ernie Sims off his couch who plays very well, but also gets knocked out of a few games with a concussion. So you have to dig deep into your roster only to find that two of your other ILBs Orie Lemon and rookie Caleb McSurdy are both on IR. You have to go with Poppinga who was picked in FA two weeks before and Alex Albright who has so far been a hybrid OLB/ILB with some looks at TE.

And it doesn't help them that your starting NT and DE are out as well as the best starting safety behind you.

Sometimes injuries just handcuff you.

i agree with this. But unless its a QB, i dont believe that one player at a key position being injured should be the "be all end all" for a team. especially if that player was injured before the season even started because it gives the team the ability to give other players reps at that position. Of course im speaking of nicks

Rudyy
01-11-2013, 11:48 AM
i agree with this. But unless its a QB, i dont believe that one player at a key position being injured should be the "be all end all" for a team. especially if that player was injured before the season even started because it gives the team the ability to give other players reps at that position. Of course im speaking of nicksBut the problem with that is Eli came out and admitted he got little to no reps in the offseason which leads me to what you were saying, why didn't we get Rueben Randle more reps in place of Hakeem? It's not neccessarily Coughlin or Eli's fault but I think they there was an error in judgement by both of them.

Marvelousmik
01-11-2013, 11:55 AM
But the problem with that is Eli came out and admitted he got little to no reps in the offseason which leads me to what you were saying, why didn't we get Rueben Randle more reps in place of Hakeem? It's not neccessarily Coughlin or Eli's fault but I think they there was an error in judgement by both of them.

I straight up think it is very well TC's fault on that one. He is the head coach. I think Eli tried to avoid throwing nicks under the bus. When Eli said little to no reps hurt them, and that he knows nicks is a competitor but you could tell the injury effected him, thats just a nice way of saying "nicks couldnt get open running on an injured knee".

He preaches opportunity but never gives guys a chance unless someone gets seriously injured. and even then he still might barely give the next guy a chance to prove himself. If hixon didnt get put on IR i wonder if we would have known about cruz.

BlueReign
01-11-2013, 12:46 PM
Poor execution sums that up.

Redeyejedi
01-11-2013, 01:45 PM
Injuries arent an excuse they mean u dont have enough depth to win.

Redeyejedi
01-11-2013, 01:49 PM
1. QB wasnt good enough to lift the team with the loss of Nicks
2. The Backbone of the Defense the Defensive ends werent good enough

pretty simple

jomo
01-11-2013, 01:51 PM
We were very lucky that the injury bug didn't visit our OL. The line itself as a group is inferior and the depth non existent. Injuries there could have cost us 2 or more wins.

gumby74
01-11-2013, 02:01 PM
Injuries arent an excuse they mean u dont have enough depth to win. Or that the coaches don't adjust well enough.

TroyArcher
01-11-2013, 02:22 PM
The amount of games missed is not the whole story. It is who was injured that is the most key. I think Nicks playing injured all year was the biggest issue for this team. On defense having revolving door DB's led to not continuity and it showed. Tuck played like he had two broken legs.

RoanokeFan
01-11-2013, 02:24 PM

I don't think the raw number of injuries matters as much as the who and when.

PRGiant
01-11-2013, 02:32 PM

No, I'm gonna say Orakpo...

TCHOF
01-11-2013, 02:40 PM
Or that the coaches don't adjust well enough.

Very naive to think that when your best players are out or limited, a coach should be able to come up with a way to equal their production with lesser players.

gumby74
01-11-2013, 02:50 PM
Very naive to think that when your best players are out or limited, a coach should be able to come up with a way to equal their production with lesser players.

equal production, of coursenot. I expect relative production. If your talent level drops by 10%, your performance should drop by 10%. A performance drop of 90% due to a 10% talent drop is not acceptable. And that's what I have an issue with. The pittsburgh defense didn't drop to last in the league because Harrison, Woodley, Polamalu and Timmons were out or banged up did they? Neither did the Dallas defense when they missed half their starters.

Injuries is an excuse for decreased production, but not complete failure. Our defense was terrible. Period. And blaming that on a few players not showing up doesn't excuse the piss poor coaching job of adjusting that Fewell did. Maybe I'm trivializing it, but putting together a defense isn't like putting an engine together where if you're missing a few key pieces it doesn't work period. It should be able to operate at partial efficiency.

Redeyejedi
01-11-2013, 03:00 PM
I don't think the raw number of injuries matters as much as the who and when. Pass Rushers cant get to the QB anymore so what do u do? Blitz, Hard to do when you have 1 good corner and the only safety that can defend the back half is hurt all season. Giants got old it happens they had a nice run with this core.They still have some good young pieces just have to make sure u resign them and move on from the vets. Give Eli a good 3 year window to win 1 more Superbowl until they have to rebuild and look for a QB

dakotajoe
01-11-2013, 03:15 PM
1. QB wasnt good enough to lift the team with the loss of Nicks
pretty simple

Not true. Post Nick's knee injury, Eli had his best games without Nicks in the lineup. Eli's stats dropped considerably once Nicks returned. His 200+ yard passing streak snapped in Nick's first game back in SF. The one game the "bust" Barden started when Nicks was out he had double the production of Nick's best game post-return.

It's hard to draw conclusions from injury statistics because each injury limits players in completely different ways. Dez's finger didn't exactly limit him, his stats spiked at the end of the season. Calvin Johnson was supposedly banged up the whole season but still easily burned corners and has his best season ever.

The article the OP posted is very misleading. It only counts games missed by "starters". On top of that the writer was from Dallas. They're looking to skew any type of statistic to make themselves feel better down there.

nhpgiantsfan
01-11-2013, 03:19 PM
equal production, of coursenot. I expect relative production. If your talent level drops by 10%, your performance should drop by 10%. A performance drop of 90% due to a 10% talent drop is not acceptable. And that's what I have an issue with. The pittsburgh defense didn't drop to last in the league because Harrison, Woodley, Polamalu and Timmons were out or banged up did they? Neither did the Dallas defense when they missed half their starters.

Injuries is an excuse for decreased production, but not complete failure. Our defense was terrible. Period. And blaming that on a few players not showing up doesn't excuse the piss poor coaching job of adjusting that Fewell did. Maybe I'm trivializing it, but putting together a defense isn't like putting an engine together where if you're missing a few key pieces it doesn't work period. It should be able to operate at partial efficiency.

Are you saying the drop off from Hakeem to Hixon, or Barden, or Randle is only 10%?? Because I would say that is crazy.

Healthy Nicks = probably top 5 in NFL

Hixon= a good number 4 WR or average number 3

Barden= pretty bad

Randle=. Rookie, needs time

dakotajoe
01-11-2013, 03:21 PM
I just noticed that Eli threw for 200 yards 24 straight games with the streak ending in SF. When Nicks returned in SF Eli missed the 200 yard mark. He only went over 200 yards one time in Nick's first four games back. I wouldn't underestimate the impact of starting a hurt Nicks. I think it impacted the team more profoundly than sitting him.

Redeyejedi
01-11-2013, 03:40 PM
Not true. Post Nick's knee injury, Eli had his best games without Nicks in the lineup. Eli's stats dropped considerably once Nicks returned. His 200+ yard passing streak snapped in Nick's first game back in SF. The one game the "bust" Barden started when Nicks was out he had double the production of Nick's best game post-return.

It's hard to draw conclusions from injury statistics because each injury limits players in completely different ways. Dez's finger didn't exactly limit him, his stats spiked at the end of the season. Calvin Johnson was supposedly banged up the whole season but still easily burned corners and has his best season ever.

The article the OP posted is very misleading. It only counts games missed by "starters". On top of that the writer was from Dallas. They're looking to skew any type of statistic to make themselves feel better down there. U think 1 good game is evidence I can point to 6 or 7 bad performances. Lots of excuses are made for Eli. Rodgers had receivers hurt did u see his season

dakotajoe
01-11-2013, 03:52 PM
I see what you mean. I don't like being an Eli apologist, he does make a good amount of mistakes.

Rodgers had a horrible o-line and good receivers and still had a fantastic year. Rodgers is just that good though, he might go down as one of the best ever when his career is all said and done.

jintsfan666
01-11-2013, 05:12 PM
Nah, its just another excuse.

Other teams have injuries to key players as well. the ravens defense was hit hard this year. jordy nelson had a nagging injury and jennings missed most of the season. dez, murray, and miles all missed games and were playing injured. As a matter a fact the cowboys were way more banged up than us this season. I can keep the list going but you get the point.

I notice a pattern on here. We exaggerate everything. If the O line gives up a sack we have the worst o line. If the D line plays good then we have the best D line. If a key player gets injured then we get the worst injuries. Injuries is not the reason we didnt make the playoffs.

Careful. You will never achieve homer status with reality posts.

gumby74
01-11-2013, 05:16 PM
Are you saying the drop off from Hakeem to Hixon, or Barden, or Randle is only 10%?? Because I would say that is crazy.

Hixon= a good number 4 WR or average number 3

Barden= pretty bad

Randle=. Rookie, needs time

10% is just an arbitrary number to get my point across. If you suffer injury, your degredation of performance should be gradual - unless all your starters are out. The curve shouldn't look like a cliff. If it looks like a cliff, something is very very wrong.

Marvelousmik
01-11-2013, 05:33 PM

Lol nicks is not a top 5 WR. When nicks was out, eli played good. Look at what barden and randel did when they were given the opportunity. Enough with the excuses. We played better without nicks. Nicks hurt the team by playing injured.

GentleGiant
01-11-2013, 05:54 PM
We didn't have the most injuries but we had the most injuries on star players.

nhpgiantsfan
01-11-2013, 07:03 PM
Lol nicks is not a top 5 WR. When nicks was out, eli played good. Look at what barden and randel did when they were given the opportunity. Enough with the excuses. We played better without nicks. Nicks hurt the team by playing injured.

When Nicks is healthy he absolutely is in the top group of WRs in this league. Did you sleep through the post season last year?

RoanokeFan
01-11-2013, 07:21 PM
Pass Rushers cant get to the QB anymore so what do u do? Blitz, Hard to do when you have 1 good corner and the only safety that can defend the back half is hurt all season. Giants got old it happens they had a nice run with this core.They still have some good young pieces just have to make sure u resign them and move on from the vets. Give Eli a good 3 year window to win 1 more Superbowl until they have to rebuild and look for a QB

Let's say 2 instead of 1

ELI_HOF_NYG
01-11-2013, 07:53 PM
this is like being the calmest kid with ADD.

ShakeandBake
01-11-2013, 08:15 PM

Are you seriously trying to compare Barden to Nicks? The guy put up ONE good game in his entire career........I'd take a banged up Nicks over Barden any day of the week and apparently our coaching staff agrees with me

Marvelousmik
01-11-2013, 08:57 PM
When Nicks is healthy he absolutely is in the top group of WRs in this league. Did you sleep through the post season last year?

did you sleep through the last 5 years?Hes top 10. Not top 5

Marvelousmik
01-11-2013, 08:58 PM
Are you seriously trying to compare Barden to Nicks? The guy put up ONE good game in his entire career........I'd take a banged up Nicks over Barden any day of the week and apparently our coaching staff agrees with me

i wouldnt. id rather a healthy jennigan than a banged up nicks. nicks is useless while injured. its a team game

ShakeandBake
01-11-2013, 09:13 PM
i wouldnt. id rather a healthy jennigan than a banged up nicks. nicks is useless while injured. its a team game

JJ is a slot receiver, now if you were to say that you would have moved Cruz outside and put JJ at slot maybe that would have worked but then again you would be limiting Cruz by putting him on the outside. JJ has no business playing as the "X'' receiver.

Marvelousmik
01-11-2013, 09:47 PM
JJ is a slot receiver, now if you were to say that you would have moved Cruz outside and put JJ at slot maybe that would have worked but then again you would be limiting Cruz by putting him on the outside. JJ has no business playing as the "X'' receiver.

I dont even like JJ. I was just trying to emphasize the fact id rather play someone who can run their routes full speed. No matter who it is.

nhpgiantsfan
01-11-2013, 09:56 PM
did you sleep through the last 5 years?Hes top 10. Not top 5

Lmao, SMH.

M00KIE
01-11-2013, 09:56 PM
I dont even like JJ. I was just trying to emphasize the fact id rather play someone who can run their routes full speed. No matter who it is.

I tend to agree with that. It depends though I suppose. If the goal was to have him be a decoy out there, I don't think Nicks has earned that level of respect, regardless of how promising he looks when healthy (kind of rare lately). If he were Randy Moss in his prime, sure, that will work. But he's just not and to think defenses would view him in that manner is a bit overly flattering imo.

I like Nicks ALOT, but a little good sense is needed.

Marvelousmik
01-11-2013, 10:16 PM
Lmao, SMH.

there is no doubt in my mind that Andre Johnson, Calvin johnson, Larry fritz, Brandon marshal, Aj green and Demaryious thomas are all better than a healthy nicks. And thats 6 players right there.. Other more debatable guys are Roddy white, juliojones, dez bryant and cruz.. and if you want to go by production then you can throw reggie wayne and welker in there as well.. Its not that nicks is bad, its just that there are a lot of guys who are more physically gifted and better than him.

There are too many other receivers out there to just throw nicks in the top 5.Nicks may be better than a few of the guys on this list but hes not top 5.