PDA

View Full Version : Our Safety situation....Sign KP, Tender Stevie for 2nd...

WinterIsComing
01-11-2013, 10:40 AM
If we can sign KP back and then pick up a second round pick for Stevie Brown, I think that is a move that would make alot of sense for us. Having an additional second round draft pick this year will greatly help replacing talent that we are sure to lose with so many free agents and help us lower costs by paying a rookie contract. Stevie is a good player, but we already have Rolle under contract, between Rolle and KP how many safties do we need?

The Giants are excellent in the draft, they should be leveraging that skill and acquiring as many draft picks whenever possible.

JesseJames
01-11-2013, 10:51 AM
trading a proven playmaker like Stevie Brown for a draft pick that may or may not work out is foolish IMO...

Flip Empty
01-11-2013, 10:53 AM
Excellent in the draft? They've picked up many duds over the years.

NYFG
01-11-2013, 10:58 AM
trading a proven playmaker like Stevie Brown for a draft pick that may or may not work out is foolish IMO...

Proven player? Please he had one good season. That said I do agree that we should not trade him away for a second round pick.

NYFG
01-11-2013, 10:59 AM
Excellent in the draft? They've picked up many duds over the years.

As have other teams, but Reese is one of if not the best in the biz when it comes to the draft.

shane4177
01-11-2013, 11:07 AM
Shouldn't we at least keep Stevie around one more season to see if this season was not a one hit wonder? People said the same about Cruz if i recall.....

MattyD21
01-11-2013, 02:53 PM
KP , ROLLE and W.HILL

TheAnalyst
01-11-2013, 03:07 PM
KP , ROLLE and W.HILL

Sash will be around as well. He is a solid STs guy. I think we should try to keep all 5, but how much will KP cost? Should we make it an insentive laced contract due to his injuries? KP and Nicks injuries worry me to a point I dont see them as valuable as most here. I really want to keep them, but not for stupid money without makin it an "earn your money" type deal.

NYG4lifeNYK
01-11-2013, 04:22 PM
You want to give up a young ball hawk with promise for a second round pick?

Jahh
01-11-2013, 04:23 PM
I'd take the cheaper, healthier safety over KP. As much as I love KP, let the Bengals have him.

Giantsfan241
01-11-2013, 04:23 PM
1st round pick for sb

PBTimmons
01-11-2013, 04:29 PM
Stevie Brown is just the guy that you use for trade bait. Sometimes I get the impression that everything on this board is an overreaction..."AB is done" "Stevie Brown is GOD" "JPP>Reggie White" . Brown is just average and if Giants can get someone to bite for a 2nd rounder on him, I'd take it every day of the week.

ELI_HOF_NYG
01-11-2013, 04:29 PM

I am not too sure resigning KP is a good idea either,,unless he comes reasonably priced,,,those knees can't be trusted.

ELI_HOF_NYG
01-11-2013, 04:31 PM
Stevie Brown is just the guy that you use for trade bait. Sometimes I get the impression that everything on this board is an overreaction..."AB is done" "Stevie Brown is GOD" "JPP>Reggie White" . Brown is just average and if Giants can get someone to bite for a 2nd rounder on him, I'd take it every day of the week.

not a chance,,,the kid showed too much promise,,lets give him another year,,,trading a ball hawk for an unproven draft pick is not smart football, sorry.

Giantsfan241
01-11-2013, 04:31 PM
kp's knees are a lot better than urs and he is top 5 safety in nfl

JesseJames
01-11-2013, 04:34 PM
Proven player? Please he had one good season. That said I do agree that we should not trade him away for a second round pick.he's only been with us one season and proved he can make plays and almost led the league in INTs. what else does he need to do..

ELI_HOF_NYG
01-11-2013, 04:38 PM
kp's knees are a lot better than urs and he is top 5 safety in nfl

actually my knees are perfectly healthy,,not sure where you were going with that? and KP is no longer a top 5 safety with chronic knee problems,,sorry.

Giantsfan241
01-11-2013, 04:39 PM
great players are around the ball he is around the ball

M00KIE
01-11-2013, 04:40 PM
You don't trade Brown...Period.

I just hope we can work out a fair deal with KP. With his injury problems, I can't see another team really offering him something crazy. But who knows..

ELI_HOF_NYG
01-11-2013, 04:42 PM
You don't trade Brown...Period.

I just hope we can work out a fair deal with KP. With his injury problems, I can't see another team really offering him something crazy. But who knows..

agreed,,,boy I am sure glad some of these people in here are not our GM,,we'd be in a lot of trouble.

keyofgmen
01-11-2013, 04:42 PM
I don't see anyone giving a # 2 for Brown. I'd keep him anyway. In case you haven't noticed, we have had a hard time fielding a secondary as it is lately.

PBTimmons
01-11-2013, 04:49 PM
I don't see anyone giving a # 2 for Brown. I'd keep him anyway. In case you haven't noticed, we have had a hard time fielding a secondary as it is lately.

I'd have to agree that I don't see a team giving us a 2nd rounder for him, but if it did happen it would be one of the savviest moves Reese ever made. Would wipe away the egg he still has on his face from Pats/Ballard

ELI_HOF_NYG
01-11-2013, 04:52 PM
I'd have to agree that I don't see a team giving us a 2nd rounder for him, but if it did happen it would be one of the savviest moves Reese ever made. Would wipe away the egg he still has on his face from Pats/Ballard

let me ask you this,,,why would you trade him away? and if you did get that 2nd round pick who or what would you use it on?

PBTimmons
01-11-2013, 04:55 PM
let me ask you this,,,why would you trade him away? and if you did get that 2nd round pick who or what would you use it on?

I'd trade him away because he is coming off of a season which I believe he will never again match. Trust me, guys have big seasons and then fall into obscurity. It happens.

Buy low, sell high. It's a very simple concept.

rainierjef
01-11-2013, 04:56 PM
To use brown as trade bait for just a 2nd rounder maybe not but a 2nd and a 4th hmmm... i might think about that.

JesseJames
01-11-2013, 05:02 PM
I don't get any of this trade Brown stuff, for a whole lot of years we have all been hoping for a safety who can make plays on the ball and get turnovers, now we have one and people are already trying to find a way to get rid of him, Okay I get it this was only his first year, so what says he won't get even better next year after he is more familiar with the system. We need to be patient with Stevie Brown and see what he can do next year before we just give him away ....

ELI_HOF_NYG
01-11-2013, 05:05 PM
I'd trade him away because he is coming off of a season which I believe he will never again match. Trust me, guys have big seasons and then fall into obscurity. It happens.

and trust me,,in the right situation good players turn into great players so I don't follow your logic,,,let me say this,,we trade stevie for a second,,that second turns out to be a bust,,and stevie goes on to be one of the better safeties in the league,,then what? we arent flipping houses here, we are talking about an impact player on our D. your concept is so simple that it is flawed.

PBTimmons
01-11-2013, 05:07 PM
and trust me,,in the right situation good players turn into great players so I don't follow your logic,,,let me say this,,we trade stevie for a second,,that second turns out to be a bust,,and stevie goes on to be one of the better safeties in the league,,then what? we arent flipping houses here, we are talking about an impact player on our D. your concept is so simple that it is flawed.

Wow, I apologize. I forgot we were talking about ED REED here. I must be in the wrong thread.

ELI_HOF_NYG
01-11-2013, 05:09 PM
Wow, I apologize. I forgot we were talking about ED REED here. I must be in the wrong thread.

come on,,are you 5 years old? lol,,,,sorry if somebody disagrees with your opinion,,,need a tissue?:D

rainierjef
01-11-2013, 05:11 PM
There are more needs on this team like O-Line / DE/ LB / CB. If Stevie brown was our 2nd Safety on a list of mediocre Safties i would agree do not trade him. We have Rolle / KP coming back / Will hill looking promising we can get Bacari Rambo in the draft. like I said for just a 2nd no thank you but a 2nd and a 4th i would definitely look into that.

MattyD21
01-11-2013, 08:00 PM
actually my knees are perfectly healthy,,not sure where you were going with that? and KP is no longer a top 5 safety with chronic knee problems,,sorry.
Might be his point here.. unless he's your doctor and actually knows

M00KIE
01-11-2013, 08:20 PM

Ok...so let me get this straight...Your "simple concept" is to trade all of our good players...before they turn to bad players aaaaand replace them with unknown (talent) players, wait for those players to have a good year and then trade them.......over and over? What are we, a minor league prospect farm for the other 31 teams?

I don't think you even understand your own logic.

MattyD21
01-11-2013, 09:08 PM
Stevie brown was a 7th round pic in 2010 the concept of trading him for a 2nd round pic in 2013 is not bad at all .

tonyt830
01-11-2013, 10:22 PM
I know there is a good chance that Stevie Brown won't duplicate his 2012 season with 8 picks. But I think it would be of benefit to re-sign him at a reasonable rate. With a chance that the injury bug follows KP, its good to have a guy that already knows our system. Give him a chance to go out there and show that he is not just some flash in the pan.

I know there are other priorities when it comes to our free agents, but it would be ideal if Reese and the Giants can retain both KP and Brown.

ELI_HOF_NYG
01-11-2013, 10:30 PM
Stevie brown was a 7th round pic in 2010 the concept of trading him for a 2nd round pic in 2013 is not bad at all .

and we replace one of our best playmakers and few bright spots on D this year with who? a totally unproven commodity who may or may not flame out?

tonyt830
01-11-2013, 10:41 PM
and we replace one of our best playmakers and few bright spots on D this year with who? a totally unproven commodity who may or may not flame out?and we all know that the draft can be a crap shoot. It will all come down to the cap number. I'm sure Reese and the staff would like to find a way to keep both KP and Brown on the roster.

ALLnygIN
01-11-2013, 10:50 PM

hes anything but proven

M00KIE
01-11-2013, 10:55 PM
hes anything but proven

Really? What more should he do for you? Bake a cake, shine your shoes? What?

ALLnygIN
01-11-2013, 11:18 PM
Really? What more should he do for you? Bake a cake, shine your shoes? What?

He had 8 turnovers this season. Great! hopefully, he can do it again next season. Fact is he had one "decent" season. He was a ball hawk, but other than that struggled in both the passing and running game and could hardly tackle.. Lets be real. Also, this was his ONLY season where he played and his INT's were phenomenal and invaluable. I'll wait till I see it again before I call him a "proven" talent, becuase he's not proven yet.

giants8493
01-11-2013, 11:53 PM
Really? What more should he do for you? Bake a cake, shine your shoes? What?I would settle for just some better pass coverage.

JJC7301
01-12-2013, 12:32 AM
I'm not interested in spending big FA money on KP -- he's too injury prone IMO. If he's affordable, then great, but I want Brown around for at least 1 more year.

I do not, at all, feel comfortable in signing KP to a multi-year contract.

MattyD21
01-12-2013, 05:19 AM
Could sign KP to an incentive type contract which could solve some doubts . thier is no argument that can prove the Giants are a better team with out KP, ( Look at the games he missed)

laylow28
01-12-2013, 06:01 AM
Much rather resign Brown and lose injury prone KP.

M00KIE
01-12-2013, 10:05 AM
I would settle for just some better pass coverage.

So staying healthy 16 games, 8 Int's returned for 307 yards (that's about 38yds avg), 11 PD, 2 FF, 2 FR isn't good enough for you? Who is this magic safety you're looking for or think we have? I don't care if he had some struggles in coverage his first season here. Rolle struggles in that area constantly, but he still has good value in other ways .

He was hands down our best Safety. KP has 8 Int's in his ENTIRE 5 years here. Rolle has 17 in 8 years. Rolle is now basically a small LB and KP has missed 24 reg season games in 5 years.

With that said, I'm not suggesting he's the best safety in the NFL or anything close. Just that he's earned (by far) a place here.

JesseJames
01-12-2013, 10:36 AM
hes anything but proven he proved a lot more than any other player in our secondary in his first year with our defense...

bigblue58
01-12-2013, 11:06 AM
If we can sign KP back and then pick up a second round pick for Stevie Brown, I think that is a move that would make alot of sense for us. Having an additional second round draft pick this year will greatly help replacing talent that we are sure to lose with so many free agents and help us lower costs by paying a rookie contract. Stevie is a good player, but we already have Rolle under contract, between Rolle and KP how many safties do we need?

The Giants are excellent in the draft, they should be leveraging that skill and acquiring as many draft picks whenever possible.

I just thank my own personal god that you don't make personnel decisions for the Giants!
Your "two steps forward to take 3 steps back" approach to roster moves is equal parts scary and ludicrous.

nygpolishpunk
01-12-2013, 11:38 AM
As have other teams, but Reese is one of if not the best in the biz when it comes to the draft.I'm starting to doubt that. He seems to have a knack for picking up injury prone guys

Captain Chaos
01-12-2013, 11:57 AM
If you keep Brown you are pretty solid at Safety, even if you can't sign back KP (although with his knees that may not be as hard as we think). However, I don't really see how you'll get a team to give up a 2nd rounder for Brown.

NYFG
01-12-2013, 12:23 PM
he's only been with us one season and proved he can make plays and almost led the league in INTs. what else does he need to do..

Have similar numbers next year, learn to tackle, not get beat as often. 1 good year is a fluke, 2 good years is a coincidence, 3 good years is proven.

M00KIE
01-12-2013, 12:27 PM
Have similar numbers next year, learn to tackle, not get beat as often. 1 good year is a fluke, 2 good years is a coincidence, 3 good years is proven.

You better go tell the rest of the world that. RGIII is apparently HOF bound already.

JesseJames
01-12-2013, 04:30 PM
Have similar numbers next year, learn to tackle, not get beat as often. 1 good year is a fluke, 2 good years is a coincidence, 3 good years is proven."learn to tackle and not get beat as often" you just described our entire secondary..

ALLnygIN
01-12-2013, 10:19 PM
I think getting rid of KP would be a mistake, but maybe not. I'm still really excited about Will Hill though I think he's got all of the tools to be incredible in our secondary. If Brown can duplicate what he did last season we are in good shape. Kenny Phillips goes unnoticed alot but he's hands down our best safty.

gmenfan0488
01-12-2013, 11:48 PM
There's no way in hell we should trade Stevie Brown, a guy who had 7 INTS this year, for a second round pick. KP's had injury issues, and it may be better to let him walk. Also, with Rolle and Hill, we'd have 3 safeties who are capable.

RagTime Blue
01-12-2013, 11:57 PM
KP is expendible IMO. His injury concerns are far too much risk. I know he has strong supporters on GMB.

BTW, NOBODY is going to give us a 2nd, 3rd, or 4th round pick for Stevie Brown.

Draft picks are the only players that are cap-friendly. That's why we keep duds that we draft for WAYYY too long.

NorwoodBlue
01-13-2013, 11:24 AM
I have to think you're going to pay a second round pick about as much as it would take to sign Brown, and in the Coughlin system, the #2 will be sitting on the bench for two- four years. Brown only has one good season behind him, so he can't really stake a claim for huge bucks. You gotta love how the ball just seems to find it's way to Brown's hands. It would be great if that trend continues; but there's no guarantee.

KP is really questionable signing. His injury history doesn't make him worth a big contract. We'll have to see how those negotiations go.

Don't discount the ability that Will Hill has. If we sign either\or Brown\Phillips we've still got Hill to be either the number 2 or 3 safety. Getting Hill on the field fulltime isn't going to hurt this team at all.

BlueReign
01-13-2013, 11:27 AM
KP is the best safety the Giants have. In the games he played, the defense looked SO MUCH better than games without him. He can cover consistently, tackle and ballhawk whereas Stevie can only ballhawk.

RagTime Blue
01-13-2013, 01:21 PM
KP is the best safety the Giants have. In the games he played, the defense looked SO MUCH better than games without him. He can cover consistently, tackle and ballhawk whereas Stevie can only ballhawk.

I hear ya, but the fact that we have so much basis for comparison (with vs. without KP) tells me he's not worth the kind of money other teams with more cap space and need for a safety will pay. I wish him well, and I hope he gets what he's looking for.

KjGiants23
01-13-2013, 02:31 PM
I definitely think we should not trade Stevie Brown at all. We keep him and watch him prove that he can play here. Does anyone know about Terrell Thomas? I hope he can play with us, I love watching him play.

NYFG
01-13-2013, 02:55 PM
"learn to tackle and not get beat as often" you just described our entire secondary..

Antrelle Rolle is probably the best tackler on this team and KP rarely gets beat over the top.

bigbluenepa
01-13-2013, 02:59 PM
i think the secondary plays better when KP is in the game but he's always hurt. which is why they should let him go