PDA

View Full Version : What kind of defense do we really run?

Jahh
01-11-2013, 03:02 PM
I just got done reading an article about the Cowboys hiring Monte Kiffin with his Tampa 2 scheme. The Dallas blogger said its bend but don't break. I hear those terms dished out referring to our defense as well. So my question is. Do we run that type of defense?

Flip Empty
01-11-2013, 03:13 PM
A bad one.

timmytimm3
01-11-2013, 03:31 PM
One that didn't execute and then failed to make adjustments when certain things weren't working.

Rudyy
01-11-2013, 03:45 PM
We run the "bend extremely far back but only allow them X amount of points" defense.

radar-ray
01-11-2013, 03:47 PM
Read & React, ala Rod Rust, J. Lynn, T. Lewis. This scheme has always stunk.

Kruunch
01-11-2013, 04:05 PM
I just got done reading an article about the Cowboys hiring Monte Kiffin with his Tampa 2 scheme. The Dallas blogger said its bend but don't break. I hear those terms dished out referring to our defense as well. So my question is. Do we run that type of defense?

The Bend-Don't-Break defense has more to do with a philosophy than a specific formation.

BDB's idea is to keep all plays in front of the defense. Allow the short gains and limit the long ones.

Monte Kiffin runs an aggressive defense ... blitz happy with a two deep shell. It's most certainly NOT BDB. And it might have a much harder time succeeding with the current receiver rules in place as he ran it in Tampa (depending on big Safety hits on the back end and such).

Kruunch
01-11-2013, 04:06 PM
We run the "bend extremely far back but only allow them X amount of points" defense.

Unfortunately this year X was more than we scored in key games.

DVision
01-11-2013, 05:12 PM

No we don't! The Tampa 2 is designed to prevent big plays of which we gave up more than any other defense this season! We run the "Misread and React Late if At All" defense!

Rudyy
01-11-2013, 05:15 PM
Unfortunately this year X was more than we scored in key games.Yeah but that was because guys were injured!!!111

radar-ray
01-11-2013, 05:16 PM
No we don't! The Tampa 2 is designed to prevent big plays of which we gave up more than any other defense this season! We run the "Misread and React Late if At All" defense! Ha, very good.

Marvelousmik
01-11-2013, 05:18 PM
One that didn't execute and then failed to make adjustments when certain things weren't working.

This is not true. PF makes alot of adjustments during the game. whether or not they work is a different story, Whether its scheme or execution, none of us know. But he does make adjustments in terms of blitzing and dropping more guys back in coverage. Or certain guys in coverage. For example, when jason witten was tearing us up in the second cowboys game, PF decided to take boley off of him and played tryon.

hadenough
01-11-2013, 05:20 PM

Our defense is called........SCARED

jomo
01-11-2013, 06:25 PM
I just got done reading an article about the Cowboys hiring Monte Kiffin with his Tampa 2 scheme. The Dallas blogger said its bend but don't break. I hear those terms dished out referring to our defense as well. So my question is. Do we run that type of defense?We try to.

YATittle1962
01-11-2013, 07:02 PM
it is not all read and react

Fewell plays many fronts, and many coverages

he played 3 safety looks , 4 LB looks , 50 fronts , 4-3 base fronts , 3-4 looks

he ran fire zones, safety blitz, corner blitz , press man, stunts, LB dogs ......just as every DC does ...as well as all DE fronts and wandering D linemen

he changes it up quite a bit actually

but no matter what it is always based on pass rush by the front and causing turnovers

but the pass rush was nonexistent and the corners were horrible

that would make any scheme look bad

....and for the record ....Kiffins defense is not strictly cover 2 ....noones defense is or has been since the 1970s

Marvelousmik
01-11-2013, 07:19 PM
it is not all read and react

Fewell plays many fronts, and many coverages

he played 3 safety looks , 4 LB looks , 50 fronts , 4-3 base fronts , 3-4 looks

he ran fire zones, safety blitz, corner blitz , press man, stunts, LB dogs ......just as every DC does ...as well as all DE fronts and wandering D linemen

he changes it up quite a bit actually

but no matter what it is always based on pass rush by the front and causing turnovers

but the pass rush was nonexistent and the corners were horrible

that would make any scheme look bad

....and for the record ....Kiffins defense is not strictly cover 2 ....noones defense is or has been since the 1970s

+1. coaches take waay too much blame when the team isnt peforming up to standards. I know for a fact PF changes things up often.

giantsfan420
01-11-2013, 07:31 PM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000125037/article/monte-kiffin-named-dallas-cowboys-dcoordinator

im surprised no ones mentioned what a terrible move this was for dallas. they just invested a ton of money into players that fit rob ryans D. Now, they're completely changing directions and hiring a notorious 4-3 DC. Claiborne and Carr, as the article alludes to, are better press man corners than zone corners. Kiffins D relies heavily on zone corners. DWare, can he handle being a DE? An OLB in a 4-3? Sean Lee is a good ILB if u keep him somewhat clean from the wash, what does he play, MLB now in a 4-3?

I am loving JJ as GM. he fired the DC when it was the offenses fault they lost games....

YATittle1962
01-11-2013, 07:55 PM
I think Rob was doing a pretty damn good job with that defense

there had to have been personal issues that prompted this firing

ELI_HOF_NYG
01-11-2013, 08:01 PM

there had to have been personal issues that prompted this firing

well jerry cant fire himself,,he is smitten over garret(dont know why), and somebody had to pay. never mind they had some glaring injuries on D,,,I don't get it,,imagine him in NY with rexy,,what a hoot that would be.

giantsfan420
01-11-2013, 08:08 PM

there had to have been personal issues that prompted this firingi agree. and i dunno how itd be on ryan. i was fully expecting him to implode with romos play the past 2 yrs. the offense has literally single handedly lost them a handful of games...and i was expecting ryan to point fingers in the media and have tantrums on the sideline. from my angle, he pretty much behaved and was a pretty good DC. their D was something i was worried about going forward. now, not nearly as much. gotta love JJ

G14ntzF4π
01-11-2013, 08:27 PM
The front 4 dictate the defense if they can't get pressure we are screwed

Giants5699
01-11-2013, 08:29 PM
A bad one.
/thread

Toadofsteel
01-11-2013, 08:54 PM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000125037/article/monte-kiffin-named-dallas-cowboys-dcoordinator

im surprised no ones mentioned what a terrible move this was for dallas. they just invested a ton of money into players that fit rob ryans D. Now, they're completely changing directions and hiring a notorious 4-3 DC. Claiborne and Carr, as the article alludes to, are better press man corners than zone corners. Kiffins D relies heavily on zone corners. DWare, can he handle being a DE? An OLB in a 4-3? Sean Lee is a good ILB if u keep him somewhat clean from the wash, what does he play, MLB now in a 4-3?

Maybe we could trade Boley or something to them for one of their CBs...

Drez
01-11-2013, 10:48 PM
BDB's idea is to keep all plays in front of the defense. Allow the short gains and limit the long ones.

The only thing is we give up a lot of long ones.