PDA

View Full Version : NY Giants' Positional Review: Quarterback

RoanokeFan
01-13-2013, 09:04 AM
http://www.bigblueview.com/2013/1/13/3866662/new-york-giants-positional-reviews-quarterback-eli-manning-david-carr

Excerpt: "We have reviewed the New York Giants (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/teams/new-york-giants) coaching staff, including head coach Tom Coughlin (http://www.bigblueview.com/2013/1/8/3851548/new-york-giants-2012-season-in-review-tom-coughlin/in/3619645) and coordinators Kevin Gilbride (http://www.bigblueview.com/2013/1/9/3852848/new-york-giants-2012-season-in-review-kevin-gilbride-offensive-coordinator/in/3619645)and Perry Fewell (http://www.bigblueview.com/2013/1/10/3856100/new-york-giants-2012-season-in-review-perry-fewell-defensive-coordinator/in/3619645). Let's turn our attention today to positional reviews. We will start with quarterback.

Eli Manning -- Let's just acknowledge what everybody knows already -- the 2012 season was not Manning's best work.

The 59.9 percent completion rate was the first time in five seasons Manning finished a season below 60 percent completions. The yardage was nearly 1,000 yards shy of 2011 and the first time in four years he finished below 4,000 passing yards.There has been much talk about how much Hakeem Nicks (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/players/71294/hakeem-nicks)' knee injury impacted the Giants' passing offense. That, however, does not excuse some of the poor decisions made by Manning in 2012 -- none worse than the decision to throw a deep ball to Ramses Barden (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/players/71289/ramses-barden) at the end of the Week 4 game against the Philadelphia Eagles (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/teams/philadelphia-eagles). If you really want to break it down, this could well be the single play that kept the Giants out of the playoffs. Thanks to NFL Game Pass and All-22 film here are a couple of screenshots from that ill-fated play." Read more...

thegreatone
01-13-2013, 01:48 PM
That was a boneheaded play, one of many by Eli and company. If I'm not mistaken we didn't see very much of Ramses after that

RoanokeFan
01-13-2013, 01:50 PM
That was a boneheaded play, one of many by Eli and company. If I'm not mistaken we didn't see very much of Ramses after that

Barden did what he had to do to prevent an interception.

nycisgreat
01-13-2013, 02:30 PM

+1.

Shockeystays08
01-13-2013, 05:48 PM
Eli needs to pick out his horse. It's almost time to ride off into the sunset. If it wasn't for Tyree's circus catch and Manninghams haul in down the sideline Eli's stature would be far less than it is now. There would be no rings on his finger and he would be glowing in mediocrity.This past year he played like crap. He throws a wobbly ball, he stares down his targets, he forces throws into double coverage, he doesn't find the open guy, he looks like a total loser and a sulking baby when things go wrong, he has no escape ability and the speed of an old lady. He has the same response time after time when he plays a bad game and comes off as a dufuss.This past season is a great example of his many short comings. Eli got outplayed this season by rookies. We need to get a guy on the roster that can challenge for the job.

nhpgiantsfan
01-13-2013, 06:03 PM
Eli needs to pick out his horse. It's almost time to ride off into the sunset. If it wasn't for Tyree's circus catch and Manninghams haul in down the sideline Eli's stature would be far less than it is now. There would be no rings on his finger and he would be glowing in mediocrity.This past year he played like crap. He throws a wobbly ball, he stares down his targets, he forces throws into double coverage, he doesn't find the open guy, he looks like a total loser and a sulking baby when things go wrong, he has no escape ability and the speed of an old lady. He has the same response time after time when he plays a bad game and comes off as a dufuss.This past season is a great example of his many short comings. Eli got outplayed this season by rookies. We need to get a guy on the roster that can challenge for the job.

Wow, it's not even worth arguing with you.

Roosevelt
01-13-2013, 06:11 PM

Okay, so you're not his biggest fan, but there is no denying the guy was great in 2011, and he did what was needed in 2007 which helped bring two trophies to the Meadowlands.

Sarcasman
01-13-2013, 07:21 PM
Wow, it's not even worth arguing with you.

Obviously, just check the user name.

sincerely,
OverratedMediocreTightEnd08

GeoGoGo
01-13-2013, 07:36 PM

You can not even debate with someone who calls themselves ShockeyStays08. Ridiculous post.

ashleymarie
01-13-2013, 10:22 PM

Yes he did.

I am betting Eli comes back with a force this coming season. If he is the Eli we know and love he will.

GameTime
01-13-2013, 10:29 PM
he can be better...of course.
He even says it him self all the itme
However you veiw the the two SB wins is each person's individual perspective.
All I know is Eli was the QB.....and thats good enough for me......

Morehead State
01-14-2013, 09:10 AM
http://www.bigblueview.com/2013/1/13/3866662/new-york-giants-positional-reviews-quarterback-eli-manning-david-carr

Excerpt: "We have reviewed the New York Giants (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/teams/new-york-giants) coaching staff, including head coach Tom Coughlin (http://www.bigblueview.com/2013/1/8/3851548/new-york-giants-2012-season-in-review-tom-coughlin/in/3619645) and coordinators Kevin Gilbride (http://www.bigblueview.com/2013/1/9/3852848/new-york-giants-2012-season-in-review-kevin-gilbride-offensive-coordinator/in/3619645)and Perry Fewell (http://www.bigblueview.com/2013/1/10/3856100/new-york-giants-2012-season-in-review-perry-fewell-defensive-coordinator/in/3619645). Let's turn our attention today to positional reviews. We will start with quarterback.

Eli Manning -- Let's just acknowledge what everybody knows already -- the 2012 season was not Manning's best work.

The 59.9 percent completion rate was the first time in five seasons Manning finished a season below 60 percent completions. The yardage was nearly 1,000 yards shy of 2011 and the first time in four years he finished below 4,000 passing yards.There has been much talk about how much Hakeem Nicks (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/players/71294/hakeem-nicks)' knee injury impacted the Giants' passing offense. That, however, does not excuse some of the poor decisions made by Manning in 2012 -- none worse than the decision to throw a deep ball to Ramses Barden (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/players/71289/ramses-barden) at the end of the Week 4 game against the Philadelphia Eagles (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/teams/philadelphia-eagles). If you really want to break it down, this could well be the single play that kept the Giants out of the playoffs. Thanks to NFL Game Pass and All-22 film here are a couple of screenshots from that ill-fated play." Read more...

This is definitely on of my biggest criticisms of Eli. He often disregards game situations and makes throws that are highly inappropriate. (ie..throwing deep on third and short, throwing to covered WR's when all we need is a few more yards to kick a game winning FG).
This play demonstrates a loss to an inferior team, that better decision making by our QB would have prevented.

RoanokeFan
01-14-2013, 09:16 AM
This is definitely on of my biggest criticisms of Eli. He often disregards game situations and makes throws that are highly inappropriate. (ie..throwing deep on third and short, throwing to covered WR's when all we need is a few more yards to kick a game winning FG).
This play demonstrates a loss to an inferior team, that better decision making by our QB would have prevented.

I don't like to ever say a game is won/lost on one play. But that particular game was lost because Eli made the wrong decision and put the ball he chose to throw to the wrong shoulder resulting in Barden having to mug the defender to prevent an interception. We were taken out of field goal range and the rest is history.

All of that being said, Eli didn't lose the season.

Morehead State
01-14-2013, 09:23 AM
I don't like to ever say a game is won/lost on one play. But that particular game was lost because Eli made the wrong decision and put the ball he chose to throw to the wrong shoulder resulting in Barden having to mug the defender to prevent an interception. We were taken out of field goal range and the rest is history.

I never believe that a player loses us any game. A thousand different plays happen during a game by every player on the field that effect the outcome.
But at crunch time I want my QB to understand the game situation and make the proper decisions that maximize our chances to win the game.
In this case, Eli failed in that responsibility. Now he makes plenty of good plays too...don't get me wrong, but this was not outside the norm for Eli, especially this season.
He made a lot of throws this year that did not address the game situation, and down and distance. Its not a lack of intelligence as I'm sure if he had time to consider the options, he would make better decisions. Its a lack of discipline on the filed to make snap decisions that have to be made in miliseconds.

RoanokeFan
01-14-2013, 09:30 AM
I never believe that a player loses us any game. A thousand different plays happen during a game by every player on the field that effect the outcome.
But at crunch time I want my QB to understand the game situation and make the proper decisions that maximize our chances to win the game.
In this case, Eli failed in that responsibility. Now he makes plenty of good plays too...don't get me wrong, but this was not outside the norm for Eli, especially this season.
He made a lot of throws this year that did not address the game situation, and down and distance. Its not a lack of intelligence as I'm sure if he had time to consider the options, he would make better decisions. Its a lack of discipline on the filed to make snap decisions that have to be made in miliseconds.

I'm counting on last season being an anomaly for Eli and he will get back to making good decisions consistently.

Drez
01-14-2013, 10:29 AM

I'm thinking he thought we could get a defensive PI call against Philly on that one to put us in chip shot range.

But, I agree, RF, we had plenty of opportunities since that game to ice away the division and couldn't. The entire team let us down down the stretch.

Morehead State
01-14-2013, 10:37 AM
I'm counting on last season being an anomaly for Eli and he will get back to making good decisions consistently.
Well if you look at his entire career..it would seem that 2011 was the anomaly.

Drez
01-14-2013, 10:40 AM
No, it wouldn't. Save for the aberrationally high number of picks in '10, Eli has shown steady improvement in all aspects of his game since coming into the league. This year was a poor year, no doubt about it, but I expect Eli to play more like he did in '11 in '13 than he did in '12.

BurnerNYG
01-14-2013, 10:40 AM
Eli needs to pick out his horse. It's almost time to ride off into the sunset. If it wasn't for Tyree's circus catch and Manninghams haul in down the sideline Eli's stature would be far less than it is now. There would be no rings on his finger and he would be glowing in mediocrity.This past year he played like crap. He throws a wobbly ball, he stares down his targets, he forces throws into double coverage, he doesn't find the open guy, he looks like a total loser and a sulking baby when things go wrong, he has no escape ability and the speed of an old lady. He has the same response time after time when he plays a bad game and comes off as a dufuss.This past season is a great example of his many short comings. Eli got outplayed this season by rookies. We need to get a guy on the roster that can challenge for the job.Lol hilarious post. I got upset watching the games this weekend too but Eli isn't that bad. It's just strange how someone can play so brilliant one week and then look like Ryan Leaf the next. I'll never understand Eli... never!

Drez
01-14-2013, 10:47 AM
Lol hilarious post. I got upset watching the games this weekend too but Eli isn't that bad. It's just strange how someone can play so brilliant one week and then look like Ryan Leaf the next. I'll never understand Eli... never!
Dude kind of sounds like CantBlameShockeyNow.

Roosevelt
01-14-2013, 10:51 AM
Dude kind of sounds like CantBlameShockeyNow.

Yes. He sprung to mind when I read the post.

BurnerNYG
01-14-2013, 10:52 AM
Dude kind of sounds like CantBlameShockeyNow.Yeah he sounds like he's either trolling or seriously pissed off. You might be right.

Roosevelt
01-14-2013, 10:56 AM

But isn't that who Eli is? Eli is always looking to make the big play. And he's certainly come up with his share despite the fact that you can't help but shake your head at his decision making even when he's successful.

Roosevelt
01-14-2013, 11:05 AM
No, it wouldn't. Save for the aberrationally high number of picks in '10, Eli has shown steady improvement in all aspects of his game since coming into the league. This year was a poor year, no doubt about it, but I expect Eli to play more like he did in '11 in '13 than he did in '12.

I truly did not expect Eli to regress this past season. I thought he would have continued to build off 2011.

RoanokeFan
01-14-2013, 11:18 AM
I'm thinking he thought we could get a defensive PI call against Philly on that one to put us in chip shot range.

But, I agree, RF, we had plenty of opportunities since that game to ice away the division and couldn't. The entire team let us down down the stretch.

It's easy to sit back after the fact, it's really just a snapshot of what went wrong last season with the team.

embeshAtYa
01-14-2013, 11:19 AM
Poor decisions should not be a problem for a guy that supposed to be a top tier qb. I guy that is a hard working so called student of game. Film watcher. He made bad decisions all year and even on good plays. Im thankful for what he has done as far as two superbowls and a lot of exciting comebacks but for some reason the guy will always have me doubting. I can also say I cant stand all the stupid faces and shoulder shrugging I get my balls busted in for constantly. ughhhh

RoanokeFan
01-14-2013, 11:19 AM

I can hope

Morehead State
01-14-2013, 11:36 AM
His pocket presence was much like 2010 and before. His pocket awareness was much better in 2011.
To me ...the reason is a lack of confidence. His confidence is easily effected by "who knows what" factors, but it changes like the wind.
Looking at the numbers, you can see that 2011 was an anomaly for Eli. He is now back to his averages for the rest of his career.

EliDaMANning
01-14-2013, 12:06 PM
Barden did what he had to do to prevent an interception.He had to grab his facemask? Nah he didn't have to do anything to the CB and just play the ball. If anything, it would've been incomplete. Both players had a 50/50 chance

RoanokeFan
01-14-2013, 12:12 PM
He had to grab his facemask? Nah he didn't have to do anything to the CB and just play the ball. If anything, it would've been incomplete. Both players had a 50/50 chance

He would have had to climb on his back, either way it would have been a penalty

EliDaMANning
01-14-2013, 12:19 PM
I truly did not expect Eli to regress this past season. I thought he would have continued to build off 2011.Hard to build off of 2011 when your #1 WR can barely move and Cruz gets tripled team.

Drez
01-14-2013, 12:21 PM
His pocket presence was much like 2010 and before. His pocket awareness was much better in 2011.
To me ...the reason is a lack of confidence. His confidence is easily effected by "who knows what" factors, but it changes like the wind.
Looking at the numbers, you can see that 2011 was an anomaly for Eli. He is now back to his averages for the rest of his career.As far as confidence, I agree, though I think the reason for the lack of it was due to not knowing if his receivers were going to be open/where they were supposed to be.

EliDaMANning
01-14-2013, 12:22 PM
As far as confidence, I agree, though I think the reason for the lack of it was due to not knowing if his receivers were going to be open/where they were supposed to be.Probably seeing a man beat #66 also had to do with it.

Drez
01-14-2013, 12:23 PM
I truly did not expect Eli to regress this past season. I thought he would have continued to build off 2011.
I was surprised as well. However, the entire passing offense regressed/dropped off this season and not all that is on Eli.

RoanokeFan
01-14-2013, 12:27 PM
I was surprised as well. However, the entire passing offense regressed/dropped off this season and not all that is on Eli.

It was really epic in terms of team failure

Morehead State
01-14-2013, 12:36 PM
For all you guys starting with the cavalcade of excuses let me just quote two undeniable facts.
1. Our running game was far better in 2012 than in 2011.
2. Our sack totals were far lower (lowest in the NFL) in 2012 then 2011.

embeshAtYa
01-14-2013, 12:57 PM
our running game in 2011 sucked. it picked up in playoffs

Drez
01-14-2013, 01:08 PM
For all you guys starting with the cavalcade of excuses let me just quote two undeniable facts.
Sack totals are next to meaningless. Eli was only sacked 28 times in 2011, but he was still by far the most pressured QB in the NFL. Eli has harassed much of this season, regardless of how many times he was actually sacked.

While our run game was improved, it was still highly inconsistent.

The entire offense did not play well for long stretches this season, not just Eli.

Morehead State
01-14-2013, 01:12 PM
Sack totals are next to meaningless. Eli was only sacked 28 times in 2011, but he was still by far the most pressured QB in the NFL. Eli has harassed much of this season, regardless of how many times he was actually sacked.

While our run game was improved, it was still highly inconsistent.

The entire offense did not play well for long stretches this season, not just Eli.

Eli wasn't close to being the most pressured QB in the NFL in 2011, or any other season.
Your view is that Jay Cutler was less pressured than Eli? That's nuts!
Our O line was in the middle of the pack in 2011. Eli was hardly running for his life.

Drez
01-14-2013, 01:20 PM
Eli wasn't close to being the most pressured QB in the NFL in 2011, or any other season.
Your view is that Jay Cutler was less pressured than Eli? That's nuts!
Our O line was in the middle of the pack in 2011. Eli was hardly running for his life.Yes. It's not my fault you disregard the stats that prove otherwise. He was pressured 244 times on 589 dropbacks. That means he was pressured on 41.4% of his throws. https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2012/01/31/pressure-and-the-2011-quarterbacks/

Morehead State
01-14-2013, 01:21 PM
Yes. It's not my fault you disregard the stats that prove otherwise. He was pressured 244 times on 589 dropbacks. That means he was pressured on 41.4% of his throws. https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2012/01/31/pressure-and-the-2011-quarterbacks/
By what standard? What is considered "pressured"?

Morehead State
01-14-2013, 01:28 PM
And another question.
Wouldn't a team with a lot of 3 step dropbacks by definition have far fewer "pressures" than Eli who plays in an offense with a lot of 5 and 7 step dropbacks?
All that says nothing about the O line.

And if I accept what you are saying, wouldn't that support the notion that Eli's game has dropped off from 2011?

giantsfan420
01-14-2013, 02:12 PM
By what standard? What is considered "pressured"?PFF and NFL films (Cosell iirc) both did articles on qbs and pressures. not only was eli pressured 20% more than the next closest most pressured QB from like 2010 to midway thru this season. not only that, he was among the top performing qbs for each statistical category (TD, completion %, yards, ypa).

I mean I get the 5-7 step drop vs 3 step drops and how that may tip the scales, but i mean cmon, not only is there empirical statistical evidence, i dont know a person whose watched our OL not notice the insane amount of pressures and hits/hurries.

Morehead State
01-14-2013, 02:31 PM
PFF and NFL films (Cosell iirc) both did articles on qbs and pressures. not only was eli pressured 20% more than the next closest most pressured QB from like 2010 to midway thru this season. not only that, he was among the top performing qbs for each statistical category (TD, completion %, yards, ypa).

I mean I get the 5-7 step drop vs 3 step drops and how that may tip the scales, but i mean cmon, not only is there empirical statistical evidence, i dont know a person whose watched our OL not notice the insane amount of pressures and hits/hurries.

Its not "empirical" evidence, since what is a "pressure" is a matter of opinion. Plus what kinds of offensive play ans scheme can also effect the number of pressures.
Its only empirical if:
1. There is no dispute about what a real "pressure" is.
2. If each QB plays in the exact same offense with the same types of pass plays.

Drez
01-14-2013, 02:33 PM
And another question.
Wouldn't a team with a lot of 3 step dropbacks by definition have far fewer "pressures" than Eli who plays in an offense with a lot of 5 and 7 step dropbacks?
All that says nothing about the O line.

And if I accept what you are saying, wouldn't that support the notion that Eli's game has dropped off from 2011?
Who ever made the claim that it hadn't?

I'm just saying you can't look at sack numbers as the sole indicator of how much pressure a QB faces.

And to answer your qualifications questions, I trust that PFF has a reasonable standard to which it adheres, and regardless of whether or not the stats may be a little off, they are close enough to truth where one can see that Eli was the most pressured QB in 2011, or if nothing else in the top 3.

Drez
01-14-2013, 02:33 PM
Its not "empirical" evidence, since what is a "pressure" is a matter of opinion. Plus what kinds of offensive play ans scheme can also effect the number of pressures.
Its only empirical if:
2. If each QB plays in the exact same offense with the same types of pass plays.
Don't let the facts get in the way of your opinions, MS.

Morehead State
01-14-2013, 02:38 PM
Who ever made the claim that it hadn't?

I'm just saying you can't look at sack numbers as the sole indicator of how much pressure a QB faces.

And to answer your qualifications questions, I trust that PFF has a reasonable standard to which it adheres, and regardless of whether or not the stats may be a little off, they are close enough to truth where one can see that Eli was the most pressured QB in 2011, or if nothing else in the top 3.

Yes but within the context of our offense with the same QB, you can conclude that with a better running attack and fewer sacks, our O line performed better in 2012 than in 2011.

giantsfan420
01-14-2013, 02:39 PM
Its only empirical if:
2. If each QB plays in the exact same offense with the same types of pass plays.there is a set definiton of pressure that the nfl uses, or at least in my posts examples the articles i've read, that is applied to each qb the same way fairly. that most def is empirical evidence. and whats ur point about the 5 step drops vs 3 step drops? that 3 step drop qbs will face less pressure? yeah so what. that suddenly changes the numbers when its acknowledgged? no. not at all.

football is a game a of a million different situations that are never identical really. if ur looking for some sort of formula that covers/blankets any situation that can happen (diff. scheme, number of step drop back, coverage, schedule, defense faced, etc etc etc) u aint gonna find it. no stat can encompass every possible outcomes reason. all u can do is go snap by snap and record the data, and do it the same for every team. when thats done, eli is pressured among the most in the nfl. i posted an article recently actually about this, i was surprised to learn that brees was right up there with eli in terms of performance under pressure.

Morehead State
01-14-2013, 02:40 PM
Don't let the facts get in the way of your opinions, MS.
You mean like the fact that our offense calls for far more 7 step drop backs and have patterns that tend to take longer to develop than most other teams?

You mean those kinds of facts?

giantsfan420
01-14-2013, 02:40 PM
Don't let the facts get in the way of your opinions, MS.;p lol

Morehead State
01-14-2013, 02:43 PM
there is a set definiton of pressure that the nfl uses, or at least in my posts examples the articles i've read, that is applied to each qb the same way fairly. that most def is empirical evidence. and whats ur point about the 5 step drops vs 3 step drops? that 3 step drop qbs will face less pressure? yeah so what. that suddenly changes the numbers when its acknowledgged? no. not at all.

football is a game a of a million different situations that are never identical really. if ur looking for some sort of formula that covers/blankets any situation that can happen (diff. scheme, number of step drop back, coverage, schedule, defense faced, etc etc etc) u aint gonna find it. no stat can encompass every possible outcomes reason. all u can do is go snap by snap and record the data, and do it the same for every team. when thats done, eli is pressured among the most in the nfl. i posted an article recently actually about this, i was surprised to learn that brees was right up there with eli in terms of performance under pressure.

An offense that has many more 3 step drops will generally have far fewer "pressures" ( however its defined) than a team like ours with many more 7 step drops.
Which would skew the numbers of "pressures" without it being effected by the quality of the O line.
In other words, our offense can have more pressures while having our O line play better than a team with fewer pressures but use a lot of 3 step drops.

RoanokeFan
01-14-2013, 03:18 PM
We talk a lot about Eli's concistency. Using NFL.com statistics here is where Eli's QB ranking was between 2005 and 2012:

2005 - 5
2006 - 11
2007 - 12
2008 - 17
2009 - 10
2010 - 5
2011 - 4
2012 - 12

If we take the last five years as a sample, an argument could be made that Eli was steadily improving, until 2012 when his ranking dropped 8 positions. Was 2012 an aberration? We won't know until this time next season.

What happened in 2012 was not the fault of Eli or any one other person on the team. Going forward, we need to cut some players, add others, sign some and get mentally prepared to understand that we can't rely on past accomplishments and win enough games to be competitive. If we learned anything from 2012 is has to be that EVERY game demands the best effort each player has to offer.

This is not a time for rebuilding. This is a time for self-reflection and a return to the ALL-IN mentality that saw us win the Super Bowl in 2011.

giantsfan420
01-14-2013, 03:19 PM
An offense that has many more 3 step drops will generally have far fewer "pressures" ( however its defined) than a team like ours with many more 7 step drops.
Which would skew the numbers of "pressures" without it being effected by the quality of the O line.
In other words, our offense can have more pressures while having our O line play better than a team with fewer pressures but use a lot of 3 step drops.we all understand that basic premise. but thats a scheme thing. i acknowledge that, ur posts point, does that suddenly change the number of times eli was pressured? no. if we're gonna use so many 5 step drops, maybe we should get OL who can hold up a lil better

Morehead State
01-14-2013, 03:44 PM
We talk a lot about Eli's concistency. Using NFL.com statistics here is where Eli's QB ranking was between 2005 and 2012:

2005 - 5
2006 - 11
2007 - 12
2008 - 17
2009 - 10
2010 - 5
2011 - 4
2012 - 12

If we take the last five years as a sample, an argument could be made that Eli was steadily improving, until 2012 when his ranking dropped 8 positions. Was 2012 an aberration? We won't know until this time next season.

What happened in 2012 was not the fault of Eli or any one other person on the team. Going forward, we need to cut some players, add others, sign some and get mentally prepared to understand that we can't rely on past accomplishments and win enough games to be competitive. If we learned anything from 2012 is has to be that EVERY game demands the best effort each player has to offer.

This is not a time for rebuilding. This is a time for self-reflection and a return to the ALL-IN mentality that saw us win the Super Bowl in 2011.

I'm sorry...ranked by what standard..
His 2010 was horrible and this list suggests he was much better in 2010 than in 2009. Both 08 and 09 were much better years than 2010.

Morehead State
01-14-2013, 03:46 PM
we all understand that basic premise. but thats a scheme thing. i acknowledge that, ur posts point, does that suddenly change the number of times eli was pressured? no. if we're gonna use so many 5 step drops, maybe we should get OL who can hold up a lil better
There are very few O lines who could have a passing attack with so many 7 step drops, and protect in the way that I think you are suggesting.
Point is that our O line did a decent job this year. Not as good last year.
Bringing us back to the original point that our QB played poorly this season compared to last. And there really aren't any valid excuses.
He just wasn't near as good of a football player.

RoanokeFan
01-14-2013, 03:48 PM
I'm sorry...ranked by what standard..
His 2010 was horrible and this list suggests he was much better in 2010 than in 2009. Both 08 and 09 were much better years than 2010.

Whatever standard NFL.com uses every season. All I can say for reliability is they are from the same source for each year. Assuming your perspective on those three years is correct, perhaps all we can take from this is stats don't tell the whole story. I do think it supports the inconsistency we talk about a lot here.

giantsfan420
01-14-2013, 03:50 PM
u kidding MS, theres def at least 2 valid reasons that help explain elis lack of a career year and throwing less than 100 yards than he had the last 4 yrs; nicks health and issues with protection

Morehead State
01-14-2013, 04:02 PM
Whatever standard NFL.com uses every season. All I can say for reliability is they are from the same source for each year. Assuming your perspective on those three years is correct, perhaps all we can take from this is stats don't tell the whole story. I do think it supports the inconsistency we talk about a lot here.
Must be total yards. Which is a nonsense indicator.

The reality is that Eli's career has not shown a steady increase in performance. He's had good years and not-so-good years and they are in random order.

His best year was 2011, followed by both 2008 and 2009. I would say his worst years were a tie between this year and 2010.

Morehead State
01-14-2013, 04:04 PM
u kidding MS, theres def at least 2 valid reasons that help explain elis lack of a career year and throwing less than 100 yards than he had the last 4 yrs; nicks health and issues with protection
The O lines worst season since Eli has been here was 2011. Yet that was Eli's best season. We protected better this year and his performance was much worse.
Its Eli's play that has been the difference.

RoanokeFan
01-14-2013, 04:19 PM
Must be total yards. Which is a nonsense indicator.

The reality is that Eli's career has not shown a steady increase in performance. He's had good years and not-so-good years and they are in random order.

His best year was 2011, followed by both 2008 and 2009. I would say his worst years were a tie between this year and 2010.

Here's the QBR:

Regular Season

2008 - 21
2009 - 15
2010 - 27
2011 - 14
2012 - 23

Post Season

2008 - 11
2009 - --
2010 - --
2011 - 2
2012 - --

EliDaMANning
01-14-2013, 04:19 PM
There are very few O lines who could have a passing attack with so many 7 step drops, and protect in the way that I think you are suggesting.
Point is that our O line did a decent job this year. Not as good last year.
Bringing us back to the original point that our QB played poorly this season compared to last. And there really aren't any valid excuses.
He just wasn't near as good of a football player.So do you blame Eli for all his 25 picks in 2010?

Morehead State
01-14-2013, 04:21 PM
Here's the QBR:

Regular Season

2008 - 21
2009 - 15
2010 - 27
2011 - 14
2012 - 23

Post Season

2008 - 11
2009 - --
2010 - --
2011 - 2
2012 - --

Passer rating is probably the best indicator for Eli. QBR takes into account rushing productivity.

Morehead State
01-14-2013, 04:24 PM
So do you blame Eli for all his 25 picks in 2010?
No QB is ever to blame for all their Int's.

Drez
01-14-2013, 04:28 PM
The O lines worst season since Eli has been here was 2011. Yet that was Eli's best season. We protected better this year and his performance was much worse.
Its Eli's play that has been the difference.The OL only played marginally better this season, and certainly not in the second half of the season. The WR play also wasn't nearly as good this year which will certainly affect QB play.

Drez
01-14-2013, 04:29 PM
Passer rating is probably the best indicator for Eli. QBR takes into account rushing productivity.You are thinking the ESPN stat, Total QBR, not just QBR.

Buddy333
01-14-2013, 04:31 PM
Does everyone agree he needs to be better than he was this year?

Morehead State
01-14-2013, 04:34 PM
The OL only played marginally better this season, and certainly not in the second half of the season. The WR play also wasn't nearly as good this year which will certainly affect QB play.
There is no doubt that a lot of factors go into the overall productivity of a QB. O line, WR's, scheme, running game, etc....
But the biggest factor is the play of the QB, independent of any of these things. And that is no exception in Eli's case.
The fact is that he had a better running game and a better O line. he also had a better option at TE. The one downside was the injury to Nicks.

I never expected Eli to throw for 4900 yards. 2011 was a crazy year in the NFL. But I did expect that he would not regress to making some of the poor decisions he was making before 2011. Decisions that he wasn't making in 2011 when he was under more pressure.

mcillo
01-14-2013, 06:54 PM
So do you blame Eli for all his 25 picks in 2010? No , the one that bounced off Nick`s hands vs. Houston wasn`t Eli`s fault.

kNicksGiants
01-14-2013, 07:33 PM
didn't read the whole thing but harping on that one throw to barden is idiotic. barden did not have to tackle nnamdi to prevent the pick. i put more blame on him than eli for that play. you're 6'6, jump up and knock the ball down, nnamdi is a scrub and would not have caught the ball.

also the 2nd redskins game was more important if anything.

kNicksGiants
01-14-2013, 07:35 PM
Barden did what he had to do to prevent an interception.couldn't disagree more. first of all nnamdi has pretty bad ball skills. second of all barden could have just jumped up and knocked the ball down or impeded nnamdi in a less obvious way. tackling him was idiotic.

RoanokeFan
01-14-2013, 07:38 PM
couldn't disagree more. first of all nnamdi has pretty bad ball skills. second of all barden could have just jumped up and knocked the ball down or impeded nnamdi in a less obvious way. tackling him was idiotic.

We'll just agree to disagree

kNicksGiants
01-14-2013, 07:45 PM
still a bad decision to throw it but i don't think any other receiver on our team would be dumb enough to flat out tackle a corner... because i've never seen it.

GameTime
01-14-2013, 08:42 PM
eehh....I am not going sit herer and disect every play from srimmage. Eli had a off year as did the ENTIRE team. They need ALL need to pull their heads out of their asses and play better.......coaches included

Eliscruzzz
01-14-2013, 08:48 PM
Well if you look at his entire career..it would seem that 2011 was the anomaly.what are you talking about?? Eli has consistently been a 25-27 td thrower and consistently throws for 4,000 yards. Maybe you should check those stats again.

Eliscruzzz
01-14-2013, 08:51 PM
Hard to build off of 2011 when your #1 WR can barely move and Cruz gets tripled team.+1 and the o-line was mess most of the year, but Eli haters don't realize that. They will point to how Rodgers played this year.

Eliscruzzz
01-14-2013, 08:58 PM
Its only empirical if:
2. If each QB plays in the exact same offense with the same types of pass plays.Man are you serious??? You didn't see all that pressure on Eli?? I don't know man sounds like you trying to turn a blind eye to our o-line problems, and place the blame solely on Eli. If there was one position you would draft in rd one what would it be??

Marvelousmik
01-14-2013, 09:31 PM
what are you talking about?? Eli has consistently been a 25-27 td thrower and consistently throws for 4,000 yards. Maybe you should check those stats again.

making smart decisions and not turning the ball over is what being a qb is all about. its not how many yards or tds you throw for

ELI_HOF_NYG
01-14-2013, 10:22 PM
Okay, so you're not his biggest fan, but there is no denying the guy was great in 2011, and he did what was needed in 2007 which helped bring two trophies to the Meadowlands.

and he did it mostly on the ROAD both times in the playoffs,,,he's beaten favre,,romo,,rodgers,,ryan,,brady twice, and the vaunted san fran D,,,,,not too shabby to me. so he's not the best regular season QB,,,so what? at the end of the day there aren't too many QB's I would take over Eazy in the playoffs.

Morehead State
01-14-2013, 10:31 PM
Man are you serious??? You didn't see all that pressure on Eli?? I don't know man sounds like you trying to turn a blind eye to our o-line problems, and place the blame solely on Eli. If there was one position you would draft in rd one what would it be??
The only thing I blame Eli for is HIS play. I never blame any player for a loss or a bad season.

Roosevelt
01-14-2013, 11:21 PM
making smart decisions and not turning the ball over is what being a qb is all about. its not how many yards or tds you throw for

When you're a homer it's all about Eli's stat's. Wins are secondary.

Roosevelt
01-14-2013, 11:29 PM
and he did it mostly on the ROAD both times in the playoffs,,,he's beaten favre,,romo,,rodgers,,ryan,,brady twice, and the vaunted san fran D,,,,,not too shabby to me. so he's not the best regular season QB,,,so what? at the end of the day there aren't too many QB's I would take over Eazy in the playoffs.

Eli's tough. He can be the best QB in the league on one day and then look like a completely different player the next.

Here's to him bouncing back in 2013.

Eliscruzzz
01-14-2013, 11:35 PM
making smart decisions and not turning the ball over is what being a qb is all about. its not how many yards or tds you throw forlol so your telling me Eli not having time to make the right decisions doesn't play into that?? Come man...lol. You think if Eli had protection like Tom Brady, and can have the time, he wouldn't make his throws. I bet Eli would but up similar numbers with that line. But I get it you only go for the stats that benefit your lame arguement. Fact is any quarterback makes stupid decisions when pressured look at Peyton yesterday. Kinda looked like Eli a little huh.

Eliscruzzz
01-14-2013, 11:39 PM
When you're a homer it's all about Eli's stat's. Wins are secondary.Please with the homer crap man...just cause I realize Eli is not the only problem with this team. You're a joke anyway when someone proves you wrong about Eli they are a homer. Get some new material, man.

Roosevelt
01-14-2013, 11:45 PM
Please with the homer crap man...just cause I realize Eli is not the only problem with this team. You're a joke anyway when someone proves you wrong about Eli they are a homer. Get some new material, man.

I never thought of you as a homer. You're more like the defender of the homers.

Did you prove me wrong? Refresh my memory.

Eliscruzzz
01-14-2013, 11:46 PM
The only thing I blame Eli for is HIS play. I never blame any player for a loss or a bad season.Sure doesn't sound like it, when you refuse to say that we had MAJOR issues on the offensive line. But I get it living in Patriots country has clouded your judgement.

Roosevelt
01-14-2013, 11:46 PM
lol so your telling me Eli not having time to make the right decisions doesn't play into that?? Come man...lol. You think if Eli had protection like Tom Brady, and can have the time, he wouldn't make his throws. I bet Eli would but up similar numbers with that line. But I get it you only go for the stats that benefit your lame arguement. Fact is any quarterback makes stupid decisions when pressured look at Peyton yesterday. Kinda looked like Eli a little huh.

Peyton is 36 and just came off 4 neck surgeries playing in 10 degree weather. He made a mistake every QB's make and it cost him. But in no way is he the reason they lost.

Eliscruzzz
01-14-2013, 11:50 PM
I never thought of you as a homer. You're more like the defender of the homers.

Did you prove me wrong? Refresh my memory.Ok on one hand you say Eli could be the best right, then you go on to make sure that your not considered a "homer" so you say and take little jabs at a guy that helped bring 2 SB's here to the Giants. A team me and you both love. The guy had a bad year yes but to say that his offensive line had nothing to do with his poor decision making this year is just comical.

Eliscruzzz
01-14-2013, 11:54 PM
Peyton is 36 and just came off 4 neck surgeries playing in 10 degree weather. He made a mistake every QB's make and it cost him. But in no way is he the reason they lost.So what does that have to do with him making a boneheaded play similar to Eli in the worst time?? He was pressured and instead of taking the sack he rolled out and made a poor decision it happens...that has nothing to do with being 36 and 4 neck surgeries. Your telling me all of a sudden Peyton forgot how to play the game?? Yeah ok...and no way Eli was the only reason why we lost that's all I'm saying.

Morehead State
01-15-2013, 12:51 AM
Sure doesn't sound like it, when you refuse to say that we had MAJOR issues on the offensive line. But I get it living in Patriots country has clouded your judgement.
We had plenty of "issues" on the O line. We had "issues" with our pass rush. We had "issues" in our secondary. We had "issues" at QB.
We can make changes in our O line, pass rush and secondary.
We have to hope that Eli fixes whats wrong with his play, because a new QB aint comin' anytime soon.

GTGiantsFan
01-15-2013, 12:53 AM
Eli carried this team to a superbowl in 2011 practically by himself on his shoulders throughout the regular season. The D was inspired by him making countless plays to keep the playoff dreams alive and turned the game up themselves, and the Giants were THE best team in the NFL.

This year, the D just got gassed and had problems no matter how well the O was doing in certain games, and it cost us.

Marvelousmik
01-15-2013, 01:03 AM
lol so your telling me Eli not having time to make the right decisions doesn't play into that?? Come man...lol. You think if Eli had protection like Tom Brady, and can have the time, he wouldn't make his throws. I bet Eli would but up similar numbers with that line. But I get it you only go for the stats that benefit your lame arguement. Fact is any quarterback makes stupid decisions when pressured look at Peyton yesterday. Kinda looked like Eli a little huh.

Dont get defensive, I respect what you have to say and i believe eli is a good QB. I think part of the reason ELi had a down year is not because nicks was hurt, but because he played hurt and wasnt effective. The O line had some horrible games as well as the team. I am not calling Eli out or anything.

All im saying is being a qb is not about throwing t'ds or having a lot of passing yards. Its more about making smart decisions and protecting the football. peyton failed to do so in the playoffs and it was a big part of why they lost.

Eliscruzzz
01-15-2013, 01:32 AM
We had plenty of "issues" on the O line. We had "issues" with our pass rush. We had "issues" in our secondary. We had "issues" at QB.
We can make changes in our O line, pass rush and secondary.
We have to hope that Eli fixes whats wrong with his play, because a new QB aint comin' anytime soon.and what exactly is that... please explain cause you failed to do so so far, your complaining about mechanics yes they were a little off this year but the o-line and a unhealthy Nicks and a doubled teamed Cruz played a big factor, please come up with a legit reason.

Eliscruzzz
01-15-2013, 01:36 AM
Dont get defensive, I respect what you have to say and i believe eli is a good QB. I think part of the reason ELi had a down year is not because nicks was hurt, but because he played hurt and wasnt effective. The O line had some horrible games as well as the team. I am not calling Eli out or anything.

All im saying is being a qb is not about throwing t'ds or having a lot of passing yards. Its more about making smart decisions and protecting the football. peyton failed to do so in the playoffs and it was a big part of why they lost.

Yeah and that's all I'm saying we have falied to address the o-line and it has hurt Eli a ton. You give him time he is one of the best in the league.Look at what happen when he played GB and he was spectuclar, against San Fran in the NFCCG and he was pressured all game. That is rare to find in a quarterback. I'll bet anything if Brady was under that kind of pressure he would have lost. I know it''s not about only yards and td's but if you go back and read, MS said Eli last year was an anomaly and it isn't he hasn't put those numbers up consistently . Now does he have to cut down on the ints. sure but to say he is inconsistent is just wrong. I'm just saying give the guy a fair shake he is a two time sb winner.

RoanokeFan
01-15-2013, 07:29 AM
Eli carried this team to a superbowl in 2011 practically by himself on his shoulders throughout the regular season. The D was inspired by him making countless plays to keep the playoff dreams alive and turned the game up themselves, and the Giants were THE best team in the NFL.

This year, the D just got gassed and had problems no matter how well the O was doing in certain games, and it cost us.

We were 9 - 7 in 2011, far from THE best team in the NFL

Buddy333
01-15-2013, 08:50 AM
The entire team needs to get better and that means Eli too. Especially Eli because he is supposed to be the leader of this team.

RoanokeFan
01-15-2013, 08:55 AM
The entire team needs to get better and that means Eli too. Especially Eli because he is supposed to be the leader of this team.

A point that should be obvious to all

Morehead State
01-15-2013, 09:43 AM

Its actually adorable that you have this skewed and twisted view of reality.

But its still a skewed and twisted view.
Each football game is made up of thousands of plays made by every player on the field. This "Pollyanna" notion that one miracle worker carries a football team on his back is pure nonsense.

Morehead State
01-15-2013, 09:45 AM
and what exactly is that... please explain cause you failed to do so so far, your complaining about mechanics yes they were a little off this year but the o-line and a unhealthy Nicks and a doubled teamed Cruz played a big factor, please come up with a legit reason.
What's wrong with Eli's mechanics?

Is it your view that Eli can only succeed when everyone on the offense is healthy? If so, you have a lower opinion of him than I do, by a lot.

Roosevelt
01-15-2013, 12:20 PM
Ok on one hand you say Eli could be the best right, then you go on to make sure that your not considered a "homer" so you say and take little jabs at a guy that helped bring 2 SB's here to the Giants. A team me and you both love. The guy had a bad year yes but to say that his offensive line had nothing to do with his poor decision making this year is just comical.

Why is it some think Eli Manning is sacrosanct? He's a football player just like every other player on this team. And I will comment on him just as I comment on every Giant player - good or bad.

Eli wasn't as sharp this year, and had some bad games. He missed receivers when he was under pressure and he missed receivers when he wasn't pressured. Of course wasn't alone. We all saw how the other guys played too -which is why we're watching other teams and not the Giants right now.

Roosevelt
01-15-2013, 12:27 PM
So what does that have to do with him making a boneheaded play similar to Eli in the worst time?? He was pressured and instead of taking the sack he rolled out and made a poor decision it happens...that has nothing to do with being 36 and 4 neck surgeries. Your telling me all of a sudden Peyton forgot how to play the game?? Yeah ok...and no way Eli was the only reason why we lost that's all I'm saying.

Agreed.

But back to Peyton. The man is about to become a 5-time league MVP. He has proven himself many times over. His only knock is that he has not had a lot of success in the post season. But let's face it, he's never had a great defense.

GameTime
01-15-2013, 12:37 PM
Why is it some think Eli Manning is sacrosanct? He's a football player just like every other player on this team. And I will comment on him just as I comment on every Giant player - good or bad.

Eli wasn't as sharp this year, and had some bad games. He missed receivers when he was under pressure and he missed receivers when he wasn't pressured. Of course wasn't alone. We all saw how the other guys played too -which is why we're watching other teams and not the Giants right now.

Agreed.

But back to Peyton. The man is about to become a 5-time league MVP. He has proven himself many times over. His only knock is that he has not had a lot of success in the post season. But let's face it, he's never had a great defense.

Peyton makes his own misery in the playoffs usually. He threw a pick at a bad time. Bad decision too. He has done it in plyoffs before. The guy is a legend but 9-11 in the playoffs is not great. 5 or 6 times as the top seed too I think. But the fact that he has been in 20 playoff games is phenomenal.
He is and all time top 5 QB.

Eli.....not a great season. He was part of team that just didnt have it this season.

Morehead State
01-15-2013, 01:20 PM
Peyton makes his own misery in the playoffs usually. He threw a pick at a bad time. Bad decision too. He has done it in plyoffs before. The guy is a legend but 9-11 in the playoffs is not great. 5 or 6 times as the top seed too I think. But the fact that he has been in 20 playoff games is phenomenal.

Eli.....not a great season. He was part of team that just didnt have it this season.

Peyton gave the defense a touchdown lead with a little over a minute to go, the opponent 80 yards from the endzone with no timeouts. That will go down as one of the greatest defensive meltdowns of all time.
Denver had a great defense all year but they crapped the bed in crunch time. And that is the story of the game.

gumby74
01-15-2013, 01:40 PM
Most of the poster's who joined in 2012 are obsessed with Eli. And i hope more are coming because I find them absolutely fascinating.

GameTime
01-15-2013, 01:58 PM
Peyton gave the defense a touchdown lead with a little over a minute to go, the opponent 80 yards from the endzone with no timeouts. That will go down as one of the greatest defensive meltdowns of all time.
Denver had a great defense all year but they crapped the bed in crunch time. And that is the story of the game.
dont forget 14 of the point Denver had was from the STs. the offnse wasnt clicking all that well.....

RoanokeFan
01-15-2013, 01:58 PM
]Why is it some think Eli Manning is sacrosanct[/COLOR]? He's a football player just like every other player on this team. And I will comment on him just as I comment on every Giant player - good or bad.

And here I thought he was Episcopalian :o

Roosevelt
01-15-2013, 02:47 PM
And here I thought he was Episcopalian :o

lol. He is everything RF!

Roosevelt
01-15-2013, 02:51 PM
Most of the poster's who joined in 2012 are obsessed with Eli. And i hope more are coming because I find them absolutely fascinating.

You're too funny.

gumby74
01-15-2013, 02:52 PM

You're too funny.

Cheers to 2013 and the "2013'er" crew!

Roosevelt
01-15-2013, 02:56 PM

Pretty embarrassing seeing Eli's fans on here deriving pleasure from that Peyton pick. It's so lame.

Peyton is an all-time great player.

Marvelousmik
01-15-2013, 02:57 PM

doesnt that remind you of something?

Marvelousmik
01-15-2013, 03:01 PM
Pretty embarrassing seeing Eli's fans on here deriving pleasure from that Peyton pick. It's so lame.

The Eli fan boys dont want any other QB getting glory besides Eli. But what sucks for them is that unless brady wins another championship, between all the other QBs, matt ryan, flacco, and kappernick, who ever wins the superbowl will be very much comparable to Eli going into next season.

GameTime
01-15-2013, 03:18 PM

come on Bro....you know I like Eli but not a "homer". Besides I wasn't deriving any pleasure in Peyton's/Denver's loss or the pick.

I even mentioned Peyton was an all time great QB.....

gumby74
01-15-2013, 03:29 PM
The Eli fan boys dont want any other QB getting glory besides Eli. But what sucks for them is that unless brady wins another championship, between all the other QBs, matt ryan, flacco, and kappernick, who ever wins the superbowl will be very much comparable to Eli going into next season.

Not at all. In their minds, they still won't be comparable. They'll conveniently mention that Ryan got the benefit of playing in a dome as well as being surrounded by weapons in Jones, White, and the ageless wonder at TE. Eli never had any of those. They'll also say that Eli never had a defense or running game that the ravens have. If Eli had that, he'd have 4 SB trophies by now. Eli also played in the toughest conference in the entire nfl. We didn't have the luxury of beating up on the likes of the Bengals every year. As for the Niners, how can a QB not succeed? That team has a top defense. A top run game. If Alex Smith can succeed anyone can.

Morehead State
01-15-2013, 03:29 PM
dont forget 14 of the point Denver had was from the STs. the offnse wasnt clicking all that well.....
I didn't think the Denver offense was outstanding but the reality is that they were in a position to win where it would take a near miracle to lose the game, and the defense supplied that miracle with a horrific breakdown.

Roosevelt
01-15-2013, 03:32 PM
come on Bro....you know I like Eli but not a "homer". Besides I wasn't deriving any pleasure in Peyton's/Denver's loss or the pick.

I even mentioned Peyton was an all time great QB.....

I was referring to you GT. I'm talking about the homer's.

Roosevelt
01-15-2013, 03:34 PM

Don't worry M, they'll find plenty of reasons why those other guys aren't worthy.

What a year it's been for some QB's though.

Roosevelt
01-15-2013, 03:35 PM
Not at all. In their minds, they still won't be comparable. They'll conveniently mention that Ryan got the benefit of playing in a dome as well as being surrounded by weapons in Jones, White, and the ageless wonder at TE. Eli never had any of those. They'll also say that Eli never had a defense or running game that the ravens have. If Eli had that, he'd have 4 SB trophies by now. Eli also played in the toughest conference in the entire nfl. We didn't have the luxury of beating up on the likes of the Bengals every year. As for the Niners, how can a QB not succeed? That team has a top defense. A top run game. If Alex Smith can succeed anyone can.

That sums it up nicely.

Morehead State
01-15-2013, 03:38 PM
But we love them anyway.

CDN_G-FAN
01-15-2013, 03:40 PM
Eli half-stunk this year.

hopefully he stinks less next year.

RoanokeFan
01-15-2013, 03:47 PM
Eli half-stunk this year.

hopefully he stinks less next year.

That's safe

Marvelousmik
01-15-2013, 03:47 PM

Yes. but deep down in their hearts they dont truly believe all of what they say. thats why they need reassurance. they need other qbs to fail and when they do they are quick to laugh and point it out. they also need to point out everything eli does and call it carrying the team. If another qb succeeds its because of his environment. If eli succeeds its because he has to fight against the odds.

If kappernick fits a pass between 2 defenders, its a good pass. If eli does it "the timing and velocity along with the positioning of the throw was perfect".The physics was extraordinary. "The frozen rope down the seam was an extravagant piece of art" and only he can make such a throw.

its a deep system of denial. You just have to trust me when i say its not how they truly feel.

CDN_G-FAN
01-15-2013, 03:54 PM
That's safe

LOL !

Isn't it?

RoanokeFan
01-15-2013, 03:58 PM
LOL !

Isn't it?

Things are starting to calm down for the most part. Almost time for hibernation ;)

The next likely flurry of Board activity will be around Macrch 12 when FA kicks into gear.

GameTime
01-15-2013, 04:00 PM
I was referring to you GT. I'm talking about the homer's.

you used my post tho...
I had to defend myself.....:cool:

GameTime
01-15-2013, 04:04 PM
I didn't think the Denver offense was outstanding but the reality is that they were in a position to win where it would take a near miracle to lose the game, and the defense supplied that miracle with a horrific breakdown.
my point also being that the Denver D was being outplayed somewhat all game too. So the breakdown at the end was not really a surprise. The Falcons got a KO return to their own 30. They needed maybe 30 yards to get in FG range. They made a 49 yarder that was itnitially missed.
Its not like the Denver D let the Falcons go 80 yards for a TD....
The Falcon were the better team........that day.

CDN_G-FAN
01-15-2013, 04:08 PM
Things are starting to calm down for the most part. Almost time for hibernation ;)

The next likely flurry of Board activity will be around Macrch 12 when FA kicks into gear.

yeah........not really looking forward to "why didn't we take CB "X" for $10 million a season......" or "why didn't we take LBer "Y" for $7 million a season......."

or the ever popular "i don't have to figure out how to pay everyone like we have no cap, that's Reese's job. Get it done Reese ! "

RoanokeFan
01-15-2013, 04:10 PM
yeah........not really looking forward to "why didn't we take CB "X" for $10 million a season......" or "why didn't we take LBer "Y" for $7 million a season......."

or the ever popular "i don't have to figure out how to pay everyone like we have no cap, that's Reese's job. Get it done Reese ! "

It does become repetitive lol

GameTime
01-15-2013, 04:12 PM

:p

Morehead State
01-15-2013, 04:18 PM
my point also being that the Denver D was being outplayed somewhat all game too. So the breakdown at the end was not really a surprise. The Falcons got a KO return to their own 30. They needed maybe 30 yards to get in FG range. They made a 49 yarder that was itnitially missed.
Its not like the Denver D let the Falcons go 80 yards for a TD....
The Falcon were the better team........that day.
What game are you talking about?
I'm talking about Denver/Baltimore.

ShakeandBake
01-15-2013, 04:58 PM

Personally I'm looking forward to the trade all of our picks for player x threads

RoanokeFan
01-15-2013, 05:11 PM
Personally I'm looking forward to the trade all of our picks for player x threads

Oy

Roosevelt
01-15-2013, 05:25 PM
you used my post tho...
I had to defend myself.....:cool:

I was talking about during the game. Guys were all yuckity yuckity celebrating Eli at Peyton's expense.

(Hope you weren't one of them!) lol

Roosevelt
01-15-2013, 05:27 PM

lol.

I say in order to post you have pass the Wonderlic test.

But then we'd have so few posters.

AllHailEli
01-15-2013, 06:10 PM
Wow, some people's backs may be sore here, some self-inflicted, by all the pats on their back. :)

I would think a lot of people here were rooting for Peyton to win it all this year when the playoffs started. I like Peyton, for one he's always helping Eli and always happy for Eli. For another, I think hes a great, classy guy. Eli not only lost his QB coach this season, but he lost Peyton also. Obviously, I'm suppositioning that Peyton had plenty of time to study Giants games last season and relaying to Eli. In any case, I don't see a reason not to like Peyton.

Eliscruzzz
01-15-2013, 06:56 PM
lol.

I say in order to post you have pass the Wonderlic test.

But then we'd have so few posters.
I guess you are referring to me about Peyton.... but you are way off base, with what I said and are trying to make me sound like a homer. Let me refresh your memory for you.

MS was trying to say that our offensive line was one of the best in the league this year cause Eli was one of the least sacked quarterbacks in the league. But anyone with two eyes and watched the Giants games this year could see the are major issues with the o-line. He also was saying Eli had to make better decision which is true, but when you are pressured almost HALF the time during the year, I think it was 42% or 43% of the time he dropped back, how many good decisions would any quarterback make???

Finally the Peyton play, was to tell you any quarterback even an all time great makes poor decisions under pressure, but you act like Eli is the only one. My point is Denver has and all- pro line and so does the Patriots. If they had Eli's line I really wonder how they would do. But you only hear what you want. I was never knocking Peyton or his age or his 4 neck surgeries, you brought that up, and I said it had nothing to do with that play.

Morehead State
01-15-2013, 07:01 PM
I guess you are referring to me about Peyton.... but you are way off base, with what I said and are trying to make me sound like a homer. Let me refresh your memory for you.

MS was trying to say that our offensive line was one of the best in the league this year cause Eli was one of the least sacked quarterbacks in the league. But anyone with two eyes and watched the Giants games this year could see the are major issues with the o-line. He also was saying Eli had to make better decision which is true, but when you are pressured almost HALF the time during the year, I think it was 42% or 43% of the time he dropped back, how many good decisions would any quarterback make???

Finally the Peyton was to tell you any quarterback even an all time great makes poor decisions under pressure, but you act like Eli is the only one. My point is Denver has and all- pro line and so does the Patriots. If they had Eli's line I really wonder how they would do. But you only here what you want. I was never knocking Peyton or his age or his 4 neck surgeries, you brought that up, and I said it had nothing to do with that play.
I NEVER said, suggested. implied or claimed that our O line was one of the best in football. This is nothing but a complete fabrication on your part.
I said that I thought our O was better this year than last year. Last year they sucked so it wasn't hard to get better.

RoanokeFan
01-15-2013, 07:01 PM

Finally the Peyton play, was to tell you any quarterback even an all time great makes poor decisions under pressure, but you act like Eli is the only one. My point is Denver has and all- pro line and so does the Patriots. If they had Eli's line I really wonder how they would do. But you only hear what you want. I was never knocking Peyton or his age or his 4 neck surgeries, you brought that up, and I said it had nothing to do with that play.

A lot went wrong in 2012. That's old news now.

Eliscruzzz
01-15-2013, 07:11 PM
A lot went wrong in 2012. That's old news now.very true....I don't even want to start on the defense.

Eliscruzzz
01-15-2013, 07:12 PM
I NEVER said, suggested. implied or claimed that our O line was one of the best in football. This is nothing but a complete fabrication on your part.
I said that I thought our O was better this year than last year. Last year they sucked so it wasn't hard to get better.You never did?? Then why were people pulling up stats to show you how bad our o-line was this year???

Eliscruzzz
01-15-2013, 07:17 PM
I said that I thought our O was better this year than last year. Last year they sucked so it wasn't hard to get better.These were your exact words

You were implying that the sacks totals mean that it has nothing to do with how poor, they played and no one should use that as an excuse for Eli's poor decisions, am I right. Even though the stats say otherwise. Lowest in the NFL you said also... what are you implying lol. Sounds like to me you are saying they protected our qb the best this year.

AllHailEli
01-15-2013, 07:19 PM
I said that I thought our O was better this year than last year. Last year they sucked so it wasn't hard to get better.

Sounds like Nicks being hurt mattered a lot to Eli's passing game. I know people would like to be able to switch one receiver with another and expect them to perform in that same level, but I did not see anybody really stepped up to replace Nicks.

Morehead State
01-15-2013, 07:30 PM
These were your exact words

You were implying that the sacks totals mean that it has nothing to do with how poor, they played and no one should use that as an excuse for Eli's poor decisions, am I right. Even though the stats say otherwise. Lowest in the NFL you said also... what are you implying lol. Sounds like to me you are saying they protected our qb the best this year.

I implied that the rush totals were up and the sack totals were down from last year which suggests that there were improvements fromlast year in both. Thus mitigating the reasons for Eli's decline in play.
I never ever suggested that our O line was one of the best in the league.
You're just a friggin idiot. Next time characterize my positions accurately and not lie for the benefit of your agenda.

I'm glad to have a debate. I'm glad to be called names. I'm not glad to have my positions lied about.

Eliscruzzz
01-15-2013, 07:34 PM
I implied that the rush totals were up and the sack totals were down from last year which suggests that there were improvements fromlast year in both. Thus mitigating the reasons for Eli's decline in play.
You're just a friggin idiot. Next time characterize my positions accurately and not lie for the benefit of your agenda.So now your going with name calling...lol. That's all you got now. For someone that is your age, you should act like it. I f you weren't implying that fine then say so but don't call me an idiot. Did I call you any names??? This is where I stop cause If I call you that I will be banned. Have fun. I can only hope that it happens to you ( getting banned).

Morehead State
01-15-2013, 07:37 PM
So now your going with name calling...lol. That's all you got now. For someone that is your age, you should act like it. I f you weren't implying that fine then say so but don't call me an idiot. Did I call you any names??? This is where I stop cause If I call you that I will be banned. Have fun. I can only hope that it happens to you ( getting banned).

When you lie about my positions, you get called names. Deal with it son.

sharick88
01-15-2013, 07:40 PM
How did this thread last longer than the "Peyton is still better than Eli" thread I made a week ago? LOL, just kidding :)

Eliscruzzz
01-15-2013, 07:40 PM
When you lie about my positions, you get called names. Deal with it son.I'm not your son tough guy... please with your keyboard warrior mantra. You really want to do something, you know what to do....I never lied either those are your words. You know what you were trying to say...

Morehead State
01-15-2013, 07:41 PM
I'm not your son tough guy... please with your keyboard warrior mantra. You really want to do something, you know what to do....
So what...now you're threatening me?

Eliscruzzz
01-15-2013, 07:43 PM
So what...now you're threatening me?Well you call me son, what do you expect.... why are you scared??? I don't play the name calling game.

Morehead State
01-15-2013, 07:45 PM
Well you call me son, what do you expect.... why are you scared??? I don't play the name calling game.
But the lying game is OK....

Got it.

You can call me whatever you want just don't lie about what I say here.

Eliscruzzz
01-15-2013, 07:51 PM
But the lying game is OK....

Got it.

You can call me whatever you want just don't lie about what I say here.I never did lie you were implying that no one should make excuses cause our run game improved which was inflated cause of as couple games early in the year, and the sack total was mostly Eli getting rid of the ball...not because of our offensive line. Which according to you improved this year and was the lowest in the NFL. I said if you going to start with name calling on the computer why not take the next step. You come off like your tough but I'll bet anything your not. Maybe behind your computer yes.

Morehead State
01-15-2013, 07:53 PM
I never did lie you were implying that no one should make excuses cause our run game improved which was inflated cause of as couple games early in the year, and the sack total was mostly Eli getting rid of the ball...not because of our offensive line. Which according to you improved this year and was the lowest in the NFL. I said if you going to start with name calling on the computer why not take the next step. You come off like your tough but I'll bet anything your not.
So Eli didn't get rid of the ball last year.
Its all making sense now.

Eliscruzzz
01-15-2013, 07:54 PM
So Eli didn't get rid of the ball last year.
Its all making sense now.Yes the stats say he did, when he was the most pressured quarterback last year...lol.

Morehead State
01-15-2013, 07:58 PM
Yes the stats say he did, when he was the most pressured quarterback last year...lol.
So they were better this year.....

Marvelousmik
01-15-2013, 08:01 PM
You're just a friggin idiot. Next time characterize my positions accurately and not lie for the benefit of your agenda.

I'm glad to have a debate. I'm glad to be called names. I'm not glad to have my positions lied about.

He is not trying to lie about your position. He just has a hard time comprehending what he reads, even if you be specific. For example, if you say "Eli had a down year as well as the team" then basically you're saying the team played bad as a whole. However, He is going to interpret it the wrong way and say something like "LOL SO ITS ALL ELI"S FAULT HUH? WOW COME FIGHT ME 1v1 KID".

You just have to be patient. Instead of typing out paragraphs use highlights. type 2 to 3 sentences at a time. Ask questions. He will understand. There is no need to get rattled up.

Eliscruzzz
01-15-2013, 08:02 PM
So they were better this year.....no, was it all their fault for Eli's mistakes definitely not but to say someone cannot use that as an excuse is just flat missing the glaring need for a better offensive line. Especially when we are a team the likes to throw the ball down the field, no??

GTGiantsFan
01-15-2013, 08:02 PM
We were 9 - 7 in 2011, far from THE best team in the NFL

We beat SF, Packers, Atlanta, and the Patriots.. we best the other best teams, so we were the best. What was a better team than us that year?

GTGiantsFan
01-15-2013, 08:04 PM
Its actually adorable that you have this skewed and twisted view of reality.

But its still a skewed and twisted view.
Each football game is made up of thousands of plays made by every player on the field. This "Pollyanna" notion that one miracle worker carries a football team on his back is pure nonsense.

Yes.. because every other quarterback would be able to lead a team back to win 8 or 9 times a season. Your hate for Eli has already been brought to the light on this forum and you've been embarassed a few times. Please stop.

"Twisted view" just like your hate of Eli.

Eliscruzzz
01-15-2013, 08:04 PM
He is not trying to lie about your position. He just has a hard time comprehending what he reads, even if you be specific. For example, if you say "Eli had a down year as well as the team" then basically you're saying the team played bad as a whole. However, He is going to interpret it the wrong way and say something like "LOL SO ITS ALL ELI"S FAULT HUH? WOW COME FIGHT ME 1v1 KID".

You just have to be patient. Instead of typing out paragraphs use highlights. type 2 to 3 sentences at a time. Ask questions. He will understand. There is no need to get rattled up.Oh your here now and no I had no problem reading what he said cause he said it, and I'm just sick of the name calling behind a computer. If he thinks I took something outta context fine say I wrong and we can talk about it reasonable but if he's going to act like a child then I'll act like one too. No need for your two cents though we all know where you stand....

Eliscruzzz
01-15-2013, 08:05 PM
Yes.. because every other quarterback would be able to lead a team back to win 8 or 9 times a season. Your hate for Eli has already been brought to the light on this forum and you've been embarassed a few times. Please stop.

"Twisted view" just like your hate of Eli.thank you and he's talking about me twisting his views, lol.

Morehead State
01-15-2013, 08:06 PM

"Twisted view" just like your hate of Eli.
What makes you think I hate Eli?

GTGiantsFan
01-15-2013, 08:13 PM
What makes you think I hate Eli?
Let's cut the "Oh I like Eli" stuff because you never acknowledge his success, you only acknowledge the "Giants" success, as if everything the team does helps Eli win. Giving up tons of points a game and making Eli win in the last two minutes does not HELP him and it does not HELP the team. Eli carried the team, just like Peyton CARRIED the Colts.

Marvelousmik
01-15-2013, 08:22 PM
Let's cut the "Oh I like Eli" stuff because you never acknowledge his success, you only acknowledge the "Giants" success, as if everything the team does helps Eli win. Giving up tons of points a game and making Eli win in the last two minutes does not HELP him and it does not HELP the team. Eli carried the team, just like Peyton CARRIED the Colts.

By saying eli carried the team, are you saying the team didnt play good down the stretch to our superbowl run?

RoanokeFan
01-15-2013, 08:26 PM

You're not referring to 2012, right?

GameTime
01-15-2013, 08:42 PM
What game are you talking about?
I'm talking about Denver/Baltimore.

****....too much too drink.....my bad....
everything I have ever said is now defunct.....
I will now step aside....

EliDaMANning
01-15-2013, 09:05 PM
By saying eli carried the team, are you saying the team didnt play good down the stretch to our superbowl run?the defense didn't do anything during the regular season.

Marvelousmik
01-15-2013, 09:12 PM
the defense didn't do anything during the regular season.

they held the jets and cowboys to 14 points each during the last 2 games of the season. going into the playoffs they changed along with the offensive line. the whole team transformed. it was a team effort because down the stretch the whole team played great

Rudyy
01-15-2013, 09:22 PM
they held the jets and cowboys to 14 points each during the last 2 games of the season. going into the playoffs they changed along with the offensive line. the whole team transformed. it was a team effort because down the stretch the whole team played greatAnd that's totally fine and very true..

However when we lose, It's because Eli wasn't a leader..

B&RWarrior
01-15-2013, 09:53 PM
I think Eli went backwards in 2012, but being totally honest, 2011 was not representative of how he has performed his entire career. I'm saying he's never been as good as he was in 2011. I think it's an unrealistic standard to hold Eli to given his performance over the rest of his career. I still think he'll have a better year next year than in 2012.

EliDaMANning
01-16-2013, 09:25 AM
they held the jets and cowboys to 14 points each during the last 2 games of the season. going into the playoffs they changed along with the offensive line. the whole team transformed. it was a team effort because down the stretch the whole team played greatThat's 1/8th of the schedule. Hard to make the playoffs when they step up for a couple games. Same thing this year and we missed the playoffs by one game. Defense needs to play better throughout the season in order for us to be a dominant regular season team. Too much emphasis on the QB to get us there all the time.

GTGiantsFan
01-16-2013, 05:30 PM
RF - 2011
MM - I said that the D was inspired by Eli and stepped their game up during the playoff run, and the last two games.

Robert21156
01-16-2013, 09:53 PM

I agree with everything you said EXCEPT that "we were taken out of field goal range". From memory the attempt was a little more than 50 yards. Plenty of NFL kickers don't consider that out of their range. Perhaps it would be more accurate to say that "Tynes was taken out of HIS field goal range".