PDA

View Full Version : Why do I get this crazy feeling Reese will not make any surprise Cuts

Harooni
01-13-2013, 12:19 PM
I fear Reese and the FO will keep all of these over inflated contracts and restructure a few to barely get under after signing some of our own FA's and rookies.
meaning nothing special added in Free Agency ala Linebacker or oline.

god i hope i'm wrong. but it seems the giants tend to hold on to players and don't like to take cap penalties.

ALLnygIN
01-13-2013, 12:22 PM
I have had the same feeling. I think you're right.

RoanokeFan
01-13-2013, 12:24 PM
I fear Reese and the FO will keep all of these over inflated contracts and restructure a few to barely get under after signing some of our own FA's and rookies.

god i hope i'm wrong. but it seems the giants tend to hold on to players and don't like to take cap penalties.

You've been hanging out with Giggles?

Harooni
01-13-2013, 12:26 PM
I have had the same feeling. I think you're right. the thing that sucks is most of the guysunderperforn and then we are blocked from nice fa signings and in the same boat or worse off the next year.

Harooni
01-13-2013, 12:27 PM
You've been hanging out with Giggles? lol yeah it does sound like giggles , if i changed crazy to bad feeling. haha

drewz
01-13-2013, 12:31 PM
When did you get that feeling? Was it after it was announced there would be no changes on the coaching staff? Was it after he said Tuck and Webster would be back? I know exactly how it'll play.. mostly everyone will be back, we'll start hot.. fold at the end and either limp into the playoffs or not make it at all.

RoanokeFan
01-13-2013, 12:33 PM
lol yeah it does sound like giggles , if i changed crazy to bad feeling. haha

I hope (think) you're wrong. We need CAP space and,a s others have pointed out, there are only so many restructures you can do and you aren't making the future any more secure. The only real answer is cutting players who have crested OR not signing players like Beatty and Cruz.

Harooni
01-13-2013, 12:35 PM
When did you get that feeling? Was it after it was announced there would be no changes on the coaching staff? Was it after he said Tuck and Webster would be back? I know exactly how it'll play.. mostly everyone will be back, we'll start hot.. fold at the end and either limp into the playoffs or not make it at all. its like groudhogs day. Giants are loyal to a fault.

sometimes you have to make hard cuts based on performance and cap space used on said player. having 7-8 players take up 70 percent of the cap and most are over 32 is mind boggling to me as a business man.,

bansaw
01-13-2013, 12:39 PM
I have a crazy feeling Cruz will get his big payday

then perform like 90% of them do after getting paid

I don't think our team is that good, couple middling FAs and draft picks arent gonna turn the tide
at least our division is mediocre so we'll still have a shot

drewz
01-13-2013, 12:42 PM
I have a crazy feeling Cruz will get his big payday

then perform like 90% of them do after getting paid

I don't think our team is that good, couple middling FAs and draft picks arent gonna turn the tide
at least our division is mediocre so we'll still have a shot

But that's the thing man, if you cut the dead weight on the roster that's eating up cap space, you can get more than a couple middling FAs, and if you combine that with a great draft.. it puts right back in the midst things.

bansaw
01-13-2013, 12:47 PM
But that's the thing man, if you cut the dead weight on the roster that's eating up cap space, you can get more than a couple middling FAs, and if you combine that with a great draft.. it puts right back in the midst things.

they look middling as of now http://www.footballsfuture.com/freeagents.html (http://www.footballsfuture.com/freeagents.html)

Harooni
01-13-2013, 12:51 PM
But that's the thing man, if you cut the dead weight on the roster that's eating up cap space, you can get more than a couple middling FAs, and if you combine that with a great draft.. it puts right back in the midst things. agreed , its not like our team sucks , we dont need to rebuild just get stronger.
and lets say we take cap hits and then we can't do much, at least for the next season we are sitting pretty cap wise.

RoanokeFan
01-13-2013, 12:56 PM
agreed , its not like our team sucks , we dont need to rebuild just get stronger.
and lets say we take cap hits and then we can't do much, at least for the next season we are sitting pretty cap wise.

At some point we have to stop paying forward so we can enter contracts that easier to live with over their course.

bansaw
01-13-2013, 12:59 PM
agreed , its not like our team sucks , we dont need to rebuild just get stronger.

our back 7 are meh at best and our Oline is crap
window about closed

Harooni
01-13-2013, 01:06 PM
our back 7 are meh at best and our Oline is crap
window about closed
wow never seen you this pessimistic. Its a sad day if im talking you up about the team being good. lol

though inside i feel it is closing. never thought it would be so quickly.

bansaw
01-13-2013, 01:13 PM
wow never seen you this pessimistic. Its a sad day if im talking you up about the team being good. lol

though inside i feel it is closing. never thought it would be so quickly.

last time I was like this was 09 when they quit on us

I'm positive they quit on us again...rings were still shiny and some didnt want to play 4 more games

Harooni
01-13-2013, 01:21 PM
last time I was like this was 09 when they quit on us

I'm positive they quit on us again...rings were still shiny and some didnt want to play 4 more games yeah it was obvious many were content and wanted an early off-season. but add some key positions make the cuts you have to and have a great draft and who knows.

RoanokeFan
01-13-2013, 01:23 PM
yeah it was obvious many were content and wanted an early off-season. but add some key positions make the cuts you have to and have a great draft and who knows.

Glazer is reporting the Jets can't give their GM job away, you should put your papers in :)

Harooni
01-13-2013, 01:30 PM
Glazer is reporting the Jets can't give their GM job away, you should put your papers in :) I bet i could turn it around for the jets. i have a scary eye for talent and the business know how to balance the budget. i run 2 very successful madden franchises,lol

the problem is i do not have the credentials.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

now i really dont like to question reese's expertise however i can't go along with this keeping old vets and paying them an astronomical salary and letting 1 player take so much of the cap space like rolle does.

bansaw
01-13-2013, 01:33 PM
just press O and clear cap penalties imo

Harooni
01-13-2013, 01:44 PM
just press O and clear cap penalties imo lol

not anymore 2013 madden makes you manage your cap space. but i have no problem dumping aging players with huge cap numbers. yeah i take some hits but then after that im good for 3-4 seasons.

Cloud57
01-13-2013, 01:50 PM
I hope they cut this entire defense, don't care about cap hits, just get rid of it.

Toadofsteel
01-13-2013, 01:52 PM

The point that's being made is that the team doesn't cut the dead weight... Tuck, Webster, Diehl, Baas...

Redeyejedi
01-13-2013, 01:59 PM

god i hope i'm wrong. but it seems the giants tend to hold on to players and don't like to take cap penalties.I hope your wrong because I think they are better off cutting them all this season and set themselves up for 2014

Harooni
01-13-2013, 02:00 PM
The point that's being made is that the team doesn't cut the dead weight... Tuck, Webster, Diehl, Baas... agreed and even sometimes they are not dead weight but declining aging and huge cap number, you have to dump them even if you really want to keep them.

fletch842
01-13-2013, 02:06 PM
I bet i could turn it around for the jets. i have a scary eye for talent and the business know how to balance the budget. i run 2 very successful madden franchises,lol

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

now i really dont like to question reese's expertise however i can't go along with this keeping old vets and paying them an astronomical salary and letting 1 player take so much of the cap space like rolle does.
I thought you said you ran 2 madden franchises? Isn't that plenty?

ELI_HOF_NYG
01-13-2013, 02:10 PM
I bet i could turn it around for the jets. i have a scary eye for talent and the business know how to balance the budget. i run 2 very successful madden franchises,lol

stevie wonder could turn that franchise around.

Harooni
01-13-2013, 02:13 PM
I thought you said you ran 2 madden franchises? Isn't that plenty? haha , surely its not as satisfying as the real thing. But its cool playing GM.

Its very hard to balance everything and find the talent. One thing though i learned in business was never fall in love. fire/cut a guy even if its hard.

one thing i never understood is why some have job security or why teams hang on to a poor draft pick simply because they drafted him early. hey he isnt cutting it ,move on. ect (moss)

Toadofsteel
01-13-2013, 02:15 PM
one thing i never understood is why some have job security or why teams hang on to a poor draft pick simply because they drafted him early. hey he isnt cutting it ,move on. ect (moss)

That's the loyal to a fault thing...

RoanokeFan
01-13-2013, 02:24 PM
I hope your wrong because I think they are better off cutting them all this season and set themselves up for 2014

We'd have to provide a counseling forum for 2013 :rolleyes:

Buddy333
01-13-2013, 02:34 PM
We'd have to provide a counseling forum for 2013 :rolleyes:Not if they draft well and stay healthy.

RoanokeFan
01-13-2013, 02:36 PM
Not if they draft well and stay healthy.

The suggestion is we forget 2013 and come back in 2014. You don'' think we'd have "issues" in here?

Buddy333
01-13-2013, 02:42 PM
The suggestion is we forget 2013 and come back in 2014. You don'' think we'd have "issues" in here?Forget as far as letting people go and eating some other contracts rather than restructure?

Cloud57
01-13-2013, 02:43 PM
Not if they draft well and stay healthy.this team can't last for 16 games, we better get some play makers in the draft.

RoanokeFan
01-13-2013, 03:05 PM
Forget as far as letting people go and eating some other contracts rather than restructure?

Becasue of all of the previous restructuring you'd have to let a LOT of veterans go. Now as much as that sounds like "so what" and I don't disagree it could make for a pretty good 2014, it won't likely mean a winning season in 2013.

I've been hammered for suggesting we let Ojomo and Tracy play and let Tuck and Osi go. We'd still have Kiwanuka and JPP.

Fiscally, they have got to stop the restructuring sooner or later or we are going to keep doing what we've been doing for years now. The true question is where can we cut and not lose THAT MUCH ground. I think maybe the secondary and the DLine where we have young guys who can step up. We HAVE TO address the right side of the OLine high in the draft or FA.

Redeyejedi
01-13-2013, 03:10 PM
Not if they draft well and stay healthy.I think with the schedule they have they could still be in the hunt for a WC spot. h

Buddy333
01-13-2013, 03:12 PM
Becasue of all of the previous restructuring you'd have to let a LOT of veterans go. Now as much as that sounds like "so what" and I don't disagree it could make for a pretty good 2014, it won't likely mean a winning season in 2013. I've been hammered for suggesting we let Ojomo and Tracy play and let Tuck and Osi go. We'd still have Kiwanuka and JPP. Fiscally, they have got to stop the restructuring sooner or later or we are going to keep doing what we've been doing for years now. The true question is where can we cut and not lose THAT MUCH ground. I think maybe the secondary and the DLine where we have young guys who can step up. We HAVE TO address the right side of the OLine high in the draft or FA.That's why I said if they draft well and stay healthy maybe it won't be a bad year even if they do part ways with some guys and just eat he salary with others this year. They have to sign Beatty. After that they need a RT, health, and a better Eli. With that they can have a much better offense. Need o hope hey can draft some impact defensive players and see what they have with the practice guys and UDFA's.

RoanokeFan
01-13-2013, 03:13 PM
I think with the schedule they have they could still be in the hunt for a WC spot. h

Mr. Optimistic :)

I'd be OK if they went into 2013 slicing the roster with the understanding that the best we can do may not be enough.

Buddy333
01-13-2013, 03:14 PM
I think with the schedule they have they could still be in the hunt for a WC spot. hLooking around the league rookies are all over the place making plays. They can help the defense out in the draft. The offense needs a RT for sure, stay healthy, and have Eli play like he did last year.

RoanokeFan
01-13-2013, 03:14 PM
That's why I said if they draft well and stay healthy maybe it won't be a bad year even if they do part ways with some guys and just eat he salary with others this year. They have to sign Beatty. After that they need a RT, health, and a better Eli. With that they can have a much better offense. Need o hope hey can draft some impact defensive players and see what they have with the practice guys and UDFA's.

I am anxious to see who we outright release.

Buddy333
01-13-2013, 03:17 PM
I am anxious to see who we outright release.Don't know who they can let go without hurting their cap. They might just have to eat it.

RoanokeFan
01-13-2013, 03:19 PM
Don't know who they can let go without hurting their cap. They might just have to eat it.

I imagine Reese has something similar to a draft board with a lot of moving pieces.

Buddy333
01-13-2013, 03:24 PM
You never know. Maybe Tuck does rebound. He did play the run good. So maybe they draft a good pass rusher in the first round. Maybe Austin will make people see why he was a second round draft. Don't think they can count on those things happening, but you never know. They had big money makers play bad this year and where 7 points away from a 12 win season. Think they are closer on offense to getting better as long as they stay healthy and Eli plays better. They need some help on defense. Hopefully they can draft 2-3 studs that contribute day one.

RoanokeFan
01-13-2013, 03:29 PM
You never know. Maybe Tuck does rebound. He did play the run good. So maybe they draft a good pass rusher in the first round. Maybe Austin will make people see why he was a second round draft. Don't think they can count on those things happening, but you never know. They had big money makers play bad this year and where 7 points away from a 12 win season. Think they are closer on offense to getting better as long as they stay healthy and Eli plays better. They need some help on defense. Hopefully they can draft 2-3 studs that contribute day one.

Oddly enough, I'm going to bet what you just wrote is part of what Reese and Coughlin do as part of their post-season evaluation. The problem for them is they won't know until next season if they were right. While we will have the benefit of hindsight to rip their heads off and **** down their necks ':rolleyes:

Buddy333
01-13-2013, 03:31 PM
Probably. This season was disappointing but just don't think they need to totally rebuild. Reese needs to have a great offseason.

RoanokeFan
01-13-2013, 03:33 PM
Probably. Tis season was disappointing but just don't think they need to totally rebuild. Reese needs to have a great offseason.

They don't need to rebuild from a personnel perspective, but the financial perspective is another issue.

Buddy333
01-13-2013, 03:36 PM
Yeah, but back to the restructuring thing, rather see them let some contracts play out. Draft well and find some hidden gems in FA for the next season. Then start fresh in 2014. Doesn't have to mean they will be terrible next year.

RoanokeFan
01-13-2013, 03:37 PM
Yeah, but back to the restructuring thing, rather see them let some contracts play out. Draft well and find some hidden gems in FA for the next season. Then start fresh in 2014. Doesn't have to mean they will be terrible next year.

Restructuring more contracts now just makes the hill harder to climb. It could be they're willing to take the hits.

Cloud57
01-13-2013, 03:43 PM
You never know. Maybe Tuck does rebound. He did play the run good.He plays the run good when the RB is running up the middle, and he's still not good at it like he once was.

Buddy333
01-13-2013, 03:43 PM
They do have to find a way o sign Beatty. Although the shouldn't go over pay. He has had health issues in his young career.

RoanokeFan
01-13-2013, 03:46 PM
They do have to find a way o sign Beatty. Although the shouldn't go over pay. He has had health issues in his young career.

He's rated pretty high at his position. 4th in the NFL I think.

Buddy333
01-13-2013, 03:53 PM
He's rated pretty high at his position. 4th in the NFL I think.Yeah, but he has been hurt a lot too.

RoanokeFan
01-13-2013, 03:56 PM
Yeah, but he has been hurt a lot too.

You can't predict injuries though

DIPSET_ALL_DAY
01-13-2013, 03:58 PM
You've been hanging out with Giggles? AHHAHA Is he banned again?!

RoanokeFan
01-13-2013, 04:00 PM
AHHAHA Is he banned again?!

I don't think so

Buddy333
01-13-2013, 05:10 PM
You can't predict injuries thoughNo, but he has been hurt every year it seems.

G-Men Surg.
01-13-2013, 06:16 PM

Fair enough . But you are hoping you're wrong , that been said you not finishing your thoughts and keeping for youself " the surprise cuts " , care to elaborate on whole scheme plan you have in mind ?

GiantRoc
01-13-2013, 09:33 PM
The only way you can stop from rebuilding is by making the tough cuts before its too late. As much as I hate the Pats, that's why they are always fielding a good team. I hope we can make the tough choices. I can't get too excited about the draft. We never play our new guys anyway. I think that would be our biggest boost. Get some young blood and energy on the field.

I still hope for a little change in philosophy on this staff. We will get some ideas in the next couple months.

Drez
01-14-2013, 09:55 AM
I think Diehl is gone at his current contract (whether or not he gets resigned at a lesser value is up to debate. Remember, we did that with Bernard a year or two ago).

I wouldn't be shocked to see Boley gone. I wouldn't have thought that except for the fact that the coaching staff cut his play time dramatically down the stretch. We'll probably resign Rivers to a modest contract and split time between Rivers and Williams.

Depending on how the coaches feel about Brown's recovery, I wouldn't be overly surprised to see Bradshaw cut or have his deal redone (at this point I'm thinking redone, probably $2m base with the rest in incentives to bring the contract back to its original value).

Webster I'm unsure of. Not exactly too sure what will be done with him.

However, you can pick up decent (though not great) OL in FA for pretty cheap. Hell, we got Locklear on a vet minimum contract I believe. I don't know what LBs are out there in FA, but unless you're suggesting that we sign another over inflated contract, we wouldn't be getting a top tier LB anyways.

Drez
01-14-2013, 10:02 AM
Becasue of all of the previous restructuring you'd have to let a LOT of veterans go. Now as much as that sounds like "so what" and I don't disagree it could make for a pretty good 2014, it won't likely mean a winning season in 2013.

I've been hammered for suggesting we let Ojomo and Tracy play and let Tuck and Osi go. We'd still have Kiwanuka and JPP.

Fiscally, they have got to stop the restructuring sooner or later or we are going to keep doing what we've been doing for years now. The true question is where can we cut and not lose THAT MUCH ground. I think maybe the secondary and the DLine where we have young guys who can step up. We HAVE TO address the right side of the OLine high in the draft or FA.
I think the FO needs to get in a better cap specialist. JR is a talent guy more than he is a business guy.

JesseJames
01-14-2013, 10:23 AM
I think the Giants just need to ask themselves '"What would Bill Belichek do if his team were in this mess"

gumby74
01-14-2013, 10:25 AM
i honestly don't think he'll do anything drastic either to be honest.

RoanokeFan
01-14-2013, 10:37 AM
I think the FO needs to get in a better cap specialist. JR is a talent guy more than he is a business guy.

In fairness to Reese, he didn't engineer the Eli deal. I believe Eli needs to get all of that money but it does eat up a lot of CAP space regardless of whoever else he wants to sign/release.

CDN_G-FAN
01-14-2013, 10:39 AM
i get the sense that Reese is going to be alot more conservative in FA both out of necessity and philosophy.

Rolle has helped us but he's not worth a $9 mill cap hit, same thing with Canty.

Baas and Diehl are underwhelming but if you read any non-giant news in the NFL, there's at least 5 or 6 teams hoping in improve the offensive line, which means ANY free agent o lineman is going to be grossly overpriced this year, which will make signing boothe and beatty VERY hard. So it's easy to say can baas and diehl, but unless you have replacements that are as good and better priced (which none of us know, we just assume it because of that low-brow fan favorite 'how could anyone be worse.....") what's the point of cutting them?

i've become pretty sour on FA. You almost NEVER get bang for your buck, and it makes signing guys you want to keep harder in future years.

RoanokeFan
01-14-2013, 10:43 AM
No, but he has been hurt every year it seems.

He was consistently good this season. Why ask for trouble?

RoanokeFan
01-14-2013, 10:47 AM
i get the sense that Reese is going to be alot more conservative in FA both out of necessity and philosophy.

Rolle has helped us but he's not worth a $9 mill cap hit, same thing with Canty.

Baas and Diehl are underwhelming but if you read any non-giant news in the NFL, there's at least 5 or 6 teams hoping in improve the offensive line, which means ANY free agent o lineman is going to be grossly overpriced this year, which will make signing boothe and beatty VERY hard. So it's easy to say can baas and diehl, but unless you have replacements that are as good and better priced (which none of us know, we just assume it because of that low-brow fan favorite 'how could anyone be worse.....") what's the point of cutting them?

i've become pretty sour on FA. You almost NEVER get bang for your buck, and it makes signing guys you want to keep harder in future years.

There are exceptions like Stevie Brown but I tend to agree with you on FA. In the seems to work best.long run, developing through the draft.

Drez
01-14-2013, 10:54 AM
In fairness to Reese, he didn't engineer the Eli deal. I believe Eli needs to get all of that money but it does eat up a lot of CAP space regardless of whoever else he wants to sign/release.
I don't even care about the Eli deal. He's worth every penny, and there's no way that you can get a QB of Eli's caliber for much less than he's getting.

However, there are other signings and/or contract structures that probably could be improved upon (particularly in the way the contracts are structured). Now, I'm no cap specialist so don't ask me how, but there are guys in the league that are known for being masters of maneuvering the cap. I just think it wouldn't hurt to get one of those guys to help the FO structure deals so the aggregate cap hits of several players aren't all hitting their peaks at the same time.

CDN_G-FAN
01-14-2013, 10:54 AM
There are exceptions like Stevie Brown but I tend to agree with you on FA. In the seems to work best.long run, developing through the draft.

prior to stevie brown's year, no one would have considered signing him as a sign of an aggressive or active FO.

i love those kind of signings. they're so low risk compared to paying $9 mill a season for a DT that for the first time in his career is struggling to stay healthy.

RoanokeFan
01-14-2013, 10:55 AM
prior to stevie brown's year, no one would have considered signing him as a sign of an aggressive or active FO.

i love those kind of signings. they're so low risk compared to paying $9 mill a season for a DT that for the first time in his career is struggling to stay healthy.

It's as much luck as skill

Drez
01-14-2013, 10:57 AM
To be fair, we got Brown at vet minimum (and as a likely camp body). It seems that people (not necessarily you), get peeved when we don't make a splash in FA and then get pissed when we do and a highly priced player then doesn't play like the best ever at that position.

Generally speaking, I'm more a fan of getting mid-tier to just above in FA to help fill holes and then use the draft to build the core of the team.

RoanokeFan
01-14-2013, 11:00 AM
I don't even care about the Eli deal. He's worth every penny, and there's no way that you can get a QB of Eli's caliber for much less than he's getting.

However, there are other signings and/or contract structures that probably could be improved upon (particularly in the way the contracts are structured). Now, I'm no cap specialist so don't ask me how, but there are guys in the league that are known for being masters of maneuvering the cap. I just think it wouldn't hurt to get one of those guys to help the FO structure deals so the aggregate cap hits of several players aren't all hitting their peaks at the same time.

I wasn't complaining at all. It's a fact, it impacts the CAP.

RoanokeFan
01-14-2013, 11:01 AM
To be fair, we got Brown at vet minimum (and as a likely camp body). It seems that people (not necessarily you), get peeved when we don't make a splash in FA and then get pissed when we do and a highly priced player then doesn't play like the best ever at that position.

Generally speaking, I'm more a fan of getting mid-tier to just above in FA to help fill holes and then use the draft to build the core of the team.

Reese's infamous philosophy: "I don't do sexy"

ryan12
01-14-2013, 11:35 AM
I hope (think) you're wrong. We need CAP space and,a s others have pointed out, there are only so many restructures you can do and you aren't making the future any more secure. The only real answer is cutting players who have crested OR not signing players like Beatty and Cruz.

WE HAVE NO CHOICE WE HAVE TO CUT PLAYERS

Buddy333
01-14-2013, 04:20 PM
He was consistently good this season. Why ask for trouble?He was great but he was also injured in the summer. He is their biggest priority this off season as far as who to resign. Just don't know how much you pay him.

CDN_G-FAN
01-14-2013, 06:05 PM
He's rated pretty high at his position. 4th in the NFL I think.

ask any team in the NFL how high a priority resigning your starting left tackle would be, and i imagine it would be more than pretty high.

that lowbrow way of evaluating Beatty was you really didn't hear his name alot this year, at all.

can't imagine that, other than cruz, we have a more important task than resigning Beatty.

CDN_G-FAN
01-14-2013, 06:11 PM
He was great but he was also injured in the summer. He is their biggest priority this off season as far as who to resign. Just don't know how much you pay him.

10 highest paid tackle in the game gets $6.5 mill a year (cap hit).

won't be less than that a season.

RoanokeFan
01-14-2013, 06:24 PM
ask any team in the NFL how high a priority resigning your starting left tackle would be, and i imagine it would be more than pretty high.

that lowbrow way of evaluating Beatty was you really didn't hear his name alot this year, at all.

can't imagine that, other than cruz, we have a more important task than resigning Beatty.

I believe the last time we effectively used the franchise tag for a full season was Jumbo Elliott, a LT

RoanokeFan
01-14-2013, 06:24 PM
10 highest paid tackle in the game gets $6.5 mill a year (cap hit).

won't be less than that a season.

Can we pay part in cheeseburgers and fries?

moosedrool
01-14-2013, 07:15 PM

He played all 16 games this year. He is not an injury prone player. And one of the injuries was a detached retina.

giantsfan420
01-15-2013, 02:21 AM
He's rated pretty high at his position. 4th in the NFL I think.4th rated T FA

Captain Chaos
01-15-2013, 05:24 AM

We have a couple of FAs that we must resign; however, cutting players that have underperformed is the only real answer.

jomo
01-15-2013, 05:57 AM
He played all 16 games this year. He is not an injury prone player. And one of the injuries was a detached retina.If he is anything, he is injury prone. Back problems in multiple years for a young OL is not a good sign, nor is his lack of tenacity. If we can sign him for reasonable money he could stay but I would not pay him as though he is a big time player. He is IMO

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTgQ5qkicK8Q-VvDVBZKNyIhdCxiALD2t3aWOIn38mfvbPcDi8nRQ

RoanokeFan
01-15-2013, 06:37 AM
If he is anything, he is injury prone. Back problems in multiple years for a young OL is not a good sign, nor is his lack of tenacity. If we can sign him for reasonable money he could stay but I would not pay him as though he is a big time player. He is IMO

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTgQ5qkicK8Q-VvDVBZKNyIhdCxiALD2t3aWOIn38mfvbPcDi8nRQ

We can't afford to replace the entire OLine. Beatty did a very god job last season as his ranking indicates. We either pay him and keep him or we decide to rebuild because we don't have his replacement in the wings. We do have to get rid of Diehl and should be looking to replace Snee and Baas in the next 2 - 3 years. I would imagine Reese will use Beatty's injury history in developing his offer. But, as with Cruz, we know here are teams who will overpay for both of them.

jomo
01-15-2013, 07:32 AM
We can't afford to replace the entire OLine. Beatty did a very god job last season as his ranking indicates. We either pay him and keep him or we decide to rebuild because we don't have his replacement in the wings. We do have to get rid of Diehl and should be looking to replace Snee and Baas in the next 2 - 3 years. I would imagine Reese will use Beatty's injury history in developing his offer. But, as with Cruz, we know here are teams who will overpay for both of them.Yeah, I know you are right about replacing all 5 of them but if this were a perfect world, I'd sure try to replace all but Snee. They haven't been able to provide a reliable running game for us in years and Eli has to get rid of the ball quicker than he'd like to avoid sacks. Let me put it differently, I aspire to having a much better LT than Beatty. Like you, I tend NOT to aspire to "adequate or even slightly above average."

RoanokeFan
01-15-2013, 07:43 AM
Yeah, I know you are right about replacing all 5 of them but if this were a perfect world, I'd sure try to replace all but Snee. They haven't been able to provide a reliable running game for us in years and Eli has to get rid of the ball quicker than he'd like to avoid sacks. Let me put it differently, I aspire to having a much better LT than Beatty. Like you, I tend NOT to aspire to "adequate or even slightly above average."

I keep telling myself that the longer the core group plays together the more effective they will be. Except for Beatty and Boothe (who played the most snaps of any offensive player Except Eli, and they were tied) everyone else was playing injured. I do think if we were going to focus on ONE unit it would be the Oline.

Eli needs a better line to reduce the pressures he's been getting. If he has another season like this one, the drums of discontent are going to start to beat. lol

BTW - Thanks for the Mr Softee memory

egyptian420
01-15-2013, 07:49 AM
I feel like we aren't going to sign anyone in FA that anyone on here really knows. We might make another Stevie Brown type signing but that's about it.

No big names, no coaching changes, anyone looking for a splash or exciting offseason, look elsewhere cuz it ain't happening, we're flat broke.

I just can't wait for the draft.

RoanokeFan
01-15-2013, 07:57 AM
I feel like we aren't going to sign anyone in FA that anyone on here really knows. We might make another Stevie Brown type signing but that's about it.

No big names, no coaching changes, anyone looking for a splash or exciting offseason, look elsewhere cuz it ain't happening, we're flat broke.

I just can't wait for the draft.

I'll settle for exciting during the season

egyptian420
01-15-2013, 07:59 AM
I'll settle for exciting during the seasonAmen to that.....I wish other people were, it looks like a lot of people on here are already writing off 2013 and looking forward to 2014

RoanokeFan
01-15-2013, 08:02 AM
Amen to that.....I wish other people were, it looks like a lot of people on here are already writing off 2013 and looking forward to 2014

Not so much "a lot of people" but a very vocal and repetitious few who complain after we win

Imgrate
01-15-2013, 08:03 AM
I think he has to cut big time guys if he has any hope of being under the cap. Especially if the plan is to re-sign any of these 3 guys: bennett kp beatty. I pers I nally feel we have way too much invested into the rb position and ab needs. To be cut. If we get kp back then drop rolle too. Hand the weakside job over to a cheaper jwill and cut boley. The problem is I have no idea how much money that actually saves us.

RoanokeFan
01-15-2013, 08:04 AM
I think he has to cut big time guys if he has any hope of being under the cap. Especially if the plan is to re-sign any of these 3 guys: bennett kp beatty. I pers I nally feel we have way too much invested into the rb position and ab needs. To be cut. If we get kp back then drop rolle too. Hand the weakside job over to a cheaper jwill and cut boley. The problem is I have no idea how much money that actually saves us.

We let Cruz walk?

Imgrate
01-15-2013, 08:16 AM
We let Cruz walk?Hes a rfa. Extremely easy to keep for another year