Why??? It backfires all the time.

Rudyy
01-13-2013, 04:25 PM
Shouldn't have called timeout.

G-MENBK
01-13-2013, 04:25 PM
Why??? It backfires all the time.

All the time?

http://coedmagazine.files.wordpress.com/2011/12/dallas-cowboys-new-york-giants-jpp-block-field-goal.jpg

DIPSET_ALL_DAY
01-13-2013, 04:26 PM
Pete Carroll trying to play it off like "Who the Hell called it" then seconds later, you see him whispering in the ref's ear..SO HILARIOUS BRO.

I'm so glad we have more class than that.

Roosevelt
01-13-2013, 04:35 PM
Pete Carroll trying to play it off like "Who the Hell called it" then seconds later, you see him whispering in the ref's ear..SO HILARIOUS BRO.

Yeah, what the hell was that?

How could he not man up is beyond me.

DIPSET_ALL_DAY
01-13-2013, 04:39 PM

How could he not man up is beyond me. He probably feels like such an idiot

Roosevelt
01-13-2013, 04:47 PM
He probably feels like such an idiot

He looks like more of an idiot now though.

NorwoodBlue
01-13-2013, 04:53 PM

Carroll was upset because Bryant took a full practice kick when the whistle blew long before the play started. I think he has a legitimate argument. How is that not delay of game, or unsportsmanlike conduct? Kickers shouldn't be allowed a free practice kick on the field during a time out. This is a rule the NFL needs to change and enforce. If I call a time out, it's not the perogative of the other team to use the game ball and kick a practice kick during that time out.

Jahh
01-13-2013, 04:53 PM
All the time?

http://coedmagazine.files.wordpress.com/2011/12/dallas-cowboys-new-york-giants-jpp-block-field-goal.jpg

Garrett iced himself

Rudyy
01-13-2013, 04:56 PM
All the time?

http://coedmagazine.files.wordpress.com/2011/12/dallas-cowboys-new-york-giants-jpp-block-field-goal.jpgJPP blocked it, it was more on JPP than the actual icing part.

G-MENBK
01-13-2013, 05:00 PM
JPP blocked it, it was more on JPP than the actual icing part.

Still, I think the first one went through.

Rudyy
01-13-2013, 05:01 PM
Still, I think the first one went through.Yeah it did, but It probably would of went through had JPP not blocked it.

Jahh
01-13-2013, 05:02 PM
Yeah but we didn't call timeout. Didn't Garret call it? Completely different thing.

Buddy333
01-13-2013, 05:04 PM
Happy they lost. Great to see Gonzalez make that clutch catch setting up the field goal.

DIPSET_ALL_DAY
01-13-2013, 05:09 PM
Happy they lost. Great to see Gonzalez make that clutch catch setting up the field goal. He's ****y from what I've seen..I don't like his attitude.

Buddy333
01-13-2013, 05:18 PM
Gonzalez?

dakotajoe
01-13-2013, 05:19 PM
Carroll was upset because Bryant took a full practice kick when the whistle blew long before the play started. I think he has a legitimate argument. How is that not delay of game, or unsportsmanlike conduct? Kickers shouldn't be allowed a free practice kick on the field during a time out. This is a rule the NFL needs to change and enforce. If I call a time out, it's not the perogative of the other team to use the game ball and kick a practice kick during that time out.

Almost every single time a kicker is iced he takes a practice kick anyway. You bring up a legitimate point but I've never seen a flag called for that reason.

Solution: Don't call a timeout if you don't want the opposing kicker to take a practice kick.

a4gmen
01-13-2013, 05:48 PM
I know ! That was hysterical."I didn't call it". Coaching lost that game for them. Also those two questionable calls in the red zone resulting in 0 points. They should have had at least 6.

Roosevelt
01-13-2013, 05:52 PM

You make a good point.

It seems the strategy vs 'the ice' is to take a practice.

Toadofsteel
01-13-2013, 05:53 PM
Yeah but we didn't call timeout. Didn't Garret call it? Completely different thing.

No, Garrett had iced his own kicker the week before in Arizona. TC had called timeout prior to the JPP block. In that case it was the right call, because it gave JPP a preview of their protection scheme and allowed him to get in there for a block. You almost never see a FG blocked by a guy up the middle...

Toadofsteel
01-13-2013, 05:55 PM

What if the kicker has already started his motion towards the ball prior to the timeout being called? Some kickers will begin their motion prior to the snap...

KjGiants23
01-13-2013, 05:59 PM
I think icing the kicker kind of goes both ways. Sometimes it's a good move, sometimes it's not. It's just a chance move.

radar-ray
01-13-2013, 06:23 PM
I know ! That was hysterical."I didn't call it". Coaching lost that game for them. Also those two questionable calls in the red zone resulting in 0 points. They should have had at least 6. This. Carrol sucks.

egyptian420
01-13-2013, 09:05 PM
I don't think he would've missed that wide if it was a real kick, in other words, if Carroll never called that timeout, I think Bryant would've actually tried.

RagTime Blue
01-13-2013, 10:39 PM
Yea, icing the kicker if one thing. . .call a TO as soon as they line-up, and give the kicker something to think about.

Trying to disrupt the timing of a snap is bush-league, and I'm glad it just may have backfired on that bum.

Broadway Blue
01-13-2013, 10:44 PM
I would have not done it I can tell you that

JesseJames
01-14-2013, 10:30 AM
icing the kicker is a crap shoot, especially if the call is made so close to the snap that the kicker goes through with his kick and misses and then like yesterday gets another chance and makes it. Pete Carrol took a chance and it blew up in his face and now he probably feels like he coached his team out of the playoffs....

njg85m
01-14-2013, 10:35 AM
What if the kicker has already started his motion towards the ball prior to the timeout being called? Some kickers will begin their motion prior to the snap...

That's pretty normal and understandable. If memory serves me correct though, Seattle got that TO in before the ball was even snapped, and Seattle proceeded to snap it with whistles blowing and kick the ball anyway. If I am remembering correctly, then that definitely would make a case for unsportsmanlike conduct IMO

CDN_G-FAN
01-14-2013, 10:52 AM
i think you're going to see this go away in the next couple years.

for the golfers out there, i'd LOVE to be iced.

If i make the kick, its like a practice swing and i try to exactly repeat the motion.

If i miss it, i hopefully know what i did wrong and correct it on the next kick.

Toadofsteel
01-14-2013, 10:55 AM
That's pretty normal and understandable. If memory serves me correct though, Seattle got that TO in before the ball was even snapped, and Seattle proceeded to snap it with whistles blowing and kick the ball anyway. If I am remembering correctly, then that definitely would make a case for unsportsmanlike conduct IMO

Fair enough. I remember when TC iced Bailey in Dallas last year, it was about a second before the snap that TC (standing next to the ref) actually signaled timeout, though the kick was on it's way before the whistles were blowing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l4sR6nboxFs

njg85m
01-14-2013, 11:20 AM
Fair enough. I remember when TC iced Bailey in Dallas last year, it was about a second before the snap that TC (standing next to the ref) actually signaled timeout, though the kick was on it's way before the whistles were blowing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l4sR6nboxFs

Yeah, It's really a grey area. I mean you can't tell a team that they can't use their timeouts -- and you definitely can't tell them when they can use their timeouts.
I think that in a case where it's clear the TO came before the ball was snapped and the team goes ahead and snaps the ball and kicks it anyway it would constitute as a delay of game. I mean, you can get a delay of game for passing the ball to the refs too hard (Brandon Lloyd this weekend), so why not kicking a ball half way down the field? But then again, if we treat it like I'm saying, we leave it fully up to official interpretation, so I'm not too thrilled about that either. A 35 yard game winner could essentially turn into a 50 yard game winner over someones individual judgement. Not sure I like the sound of that much either.

P.S - in my original post I meant "Atlanta snapped the ball", not Seattle.

GameTime
01-14-2013, 11:26 AM

I think he was saying why did you let them do the kick. I guess he thoguht he called it soon enought to prevent them from getting a "test" kick

RagTime Blue
01-14-2013, 11:37 AM
If a Timeout is called and registered, how is it "Delay of Game"?

I'm sorry, but when defending teams start getting cute, and calling timeouts to mess with the snapper's timing, I have no sympathy if the offense decides to let it backfire. Actually, I love it!!

A baseball pitcher often delivers a pitch even clearly after a batter has stepped out of the box and called "time". Nobody has a problem with that.

If you don't want him to kick it, call Timeout before they finish setting up, Pete.

CowboysSuck
01-14-2013, 12:16 PM

I've always thought this was messed up. It's just kind of like an unwritten rule it seems; if you ice the kicker hes likely going to take a practice kick. I think its BS, they should amend the rules for this.

Jahh
01-14-2013, 12:30 PM
I had more of a problem with Tucker running out on the field during a timeout to kick a practice kick more than I have a problem with kickers getting a practice kick during an icing.

Toadofsteel
01-14-2013, 12:44 PM
A baseball pitcher often delivers a pitch even clearly after a batter has stepped out of the box and called "time". Nobody has a problem with that.

I think a balk is charged if the pitcher hasn't begun his windup prior time being called, or am i mistaken?

Carter.525
01-14-2013, 01:30 PM
I like the fact that the Atl kicker got in a practice kick..

BeatYale
01-14-2013, 06:06 PM
They should call the timeout early and never give them a chance to take a warm-up-kick. I feel bad for Petey.

NYGfanNC
01-14-2013, 10:57 PM

I think I read that he was mad because they let them take a practice kick well after the timeout was called