PDA

View Full Version : Imagine if we had Bellichick as our Head Coach?

thomasjmarino
01-13-2013, 09:01 PM
Or Lombardi?
Or Landry?

It's not like we had them on our coaching staffs.
Oh, wait a minute..............

DIPSET_ALL_DAY
01-13-2013, 09:03 PM
Imagine a troll thread instead.
Oh, wait a minute.....

GTGiantsFan
01-13-2013, 09:07 PM
Very clever :)

ashleymarie
01-13-2013, 09:08 PM
Landry had become ineffective when he was shoved out. Maybe in his heyday when there was money available to him.

Flip Empty
01-13-2013, 09:16 PM
Had Sean Payton as well, if that helps.

GameTime
01-13-2013, 09:16 PM
Or Lombardi?
Or Landry?

uhh......shut up.....thanks

Parademon
01-13-2013, 09:41 PM
George Young picked Handley over BB & TC. Go figure

radar-ray
01-13-2013, 09:54 PM
George Young picked Handley over BB & TC. Go figure He must have been drunk on his butt when he did that! I remember it well. What a disaster!!!

Drez
01-13-2013, 09:56 PM
George Young picked Handley over BB & TC. Go figureAnd did so on Parcell's recommendation. And I might be wrong on this, but wasn't BB already hired by the Browns when Parcell's decided to retire and recommend He Who Shall Not Be Named?

AllHailEli
01-13-2013, 10:01 PM
I don't want the Giants to be connected to Spygate. No, thanks. :)

DarkSaint
01-13-2013, 10:08 PM
He would fire Killdrive.

radar-ray
01-13-2013, 10:11 PM
And did so on Parcell's recommendation. And I might be wrong on this, but wasn't BB already hired by the Browns when Parcell's decided to retire and recommend He Who Shall Not Be Named? Yes. BP screwed us royally! Waited till BB was gone.

BleedinBlue72
01-13-2013, 10:17 PM
NO!

njersey
01-13-2013, 10:28 PM
George Young hated Belichek.

thomasjmarino
01-13-2013, 10:35 PM
And did so on Parcell's recommendation. And I might be wrong on this, but wasn't BB already hired by the Browns when Parcell's decided to retire and recommend He Who Shall Not Be Named?

Kind of.
Actually Parcells was dragging his feet about making a decision so BB left for Cleveland.
IMO The Tuna knew BB's potential and knew he would outshine what he already accomplished as the HC and therefore tarnish his legacy in the minds of the Giant fans so the fatman waited for BB to leave before he left.

thomasjmarino
01-13-2013, 10:36 PM
Yes. BP screwed us royally! Waited till BB was gone.

Glad to see someone else knows the history.
Thank You!!!

thomasjmarino
01-13-2013, 10:38 PM
Had Sean Payton as well, if that helps.

I was going to include Sean but then I figured I would have heard that he only won 1 SB.............so far.

BuffyBlueII
01-14-2013, 12:45 AM
Kind of.
Actually Parcells was dragging his feet about making a decision so BB left for Cleveland.
IMO The Tuna knew BB's potential and knew he would outshine what he already accomplished as the HC and therefore tarnish his legacy in the minds of the Giant fans so the fatman waited for BB to leave before he left.

+1

Toadofsteel
01-14-2013, 12:52 AM
He must have been drunk on his butt when he did that! I remember it well. What a disaster!!!

TC didnt have much HC experience back then if i recall correctly, it was after his stint on the Parcells staff that he took the Boston College gig, and went from there to Jacksonville (where he made a playoff contender out of a freaking expansion team with Mark freaking Brunell at QB)

But I have no idea why Young let Handley take over the organization.

TheBookOfEli
01-14-2013, 01:01 AM
We are the good Samaritan's of the NFL. We just give all the teams our Coordinators that end up wining them championships.

We should give away Fewell and Gilbride too. I wouldn't mind that.

ELI_HOF_NYG
01-14-2013, 01:04 AM
the giants have played in 3 of the last 13 superbowls, winning 2 of them,,so basically one every 4 seasons, not too shabby.

G-MENBK
01-14-2013, 03:32 AM
We are the good Samaritan's of the NFL. We just give all the teams our Coordinators that end up wining them championships.

Kansas City and Jacksonville will win 9 Super Bowls between them.

Giants5699
01-14-2013, 04:38 AM
Belichick has only had success as a head coach when he had Brady. Other than that his track record isn't great.

What Coughlin did with Jacksonville was pretty impressive though.

NYGisBallin
01-14-2013, 06:26 AM
Belichick has only had success as a head coach when he had Brady. Other than that his track record isn't great.

What Coughlin did with Jacksonville was pretty impressive though.

Only had success with brady? thats a foolish thing to say. The guy wins. period.

RoanokeFan
01-14-2013, 06:36 AM

Parcells picked Handley as his successor and the organization bought it. When Parcells blindsided the Giants they had little choice

Giants5699
01-14-2013, 06:37 AM
Only had success with brady? thats a foolish thing to say. The guy wins. period.

Cleveland.

RoanokeFan
01-14-2013, 06:47 AM
Or Lombardi?
Or Landry?

We wouldn't have beaten the Patriots twice in the Super Bowl?

SweetZombieJesus
01-14-2013, 07:26 AM
Landry had become ineffective when he was shoved out. Maybe in his heyday when there was money available to him.

Wellington always watched out for the growth of his guys. He actually recommended Lombardi for the Green Bay job in 1959. Landry was picked for the expansion Dallas Cowboys in 1960.

Not sure what you mean by "ineffective", since the team was in the championship game in 56, 58, and 59. Maybe you mean when he was fired from Dallas in 1989.

SweetZombieJesus
01-14-2013, 07:28 AM

That's not at all how it happened.

Bill Parcells quit very late in the offseason (after BB & TC had already left -- for Cleveland and Boston College, respectively). He quit AFTER rookie mini camp in late May, leaving literally nobody to take his place and no time to bring in a new staff. Handley was just one of the few guys left and as much as he sucked he stepped up and took the job.

Bill Parcells screwed this team on his way out, never forget that.

SweetZombieJesus
01-14-2013, 07:31 AM

Brady was out for the year in 2008 and they went 11-5 (but missed the playoffs)

As for BB's time in Cleveland, when they fired him they moved to Baltimore and became the Ravens and were a conference powerhouse in a few short years. They actually came very close to critical mass under Belichick. I think NFL Network did a look back on all the pieces that were there and how close a near miss it was.

Toadofsteel
01-14-2013, 08:45 AM

OMG this... Belicheck really is a good coach when you can say he went 11-5 with Matt freaking Cassel under center. Missing the playoffs at 11-5 is one of the biggest flukes ever. Turns out, Brady, while good, is not the end-all epic that the media makes him out to be.

thomasjmarino
01-14-2013, 08:50 AM

My sentiments exactly!
Unfortunately nobody is interested in either one.
Pretty impressive, huh?

thomasjmarino
01-14-2013, 08:53 AM
That's not at all how it happened.

Bill Parcells quit very late in the offseason (after BB & TC had already left -- for Cleveland and Boston College, respectively). He quit AFTER rookie mini camp in late May, leaving literally nobody to take his place and no time to bring in a new staff. Handley was just one of the few guys left and as much as he sucked he stepped up and took the job.

Bill Parcells screwed this team on his way out, never forget that.

Neither will I!!!

thomasjmarino
01-14-2013, 08:54 AM

As for BB's time in Cleveland, when they fired him they moved to Baltimore and became the Ravens and were a conference powerhouse in a few short years. They actually came very close to critical mass under Belichick. I think NFL Network did a look back on all the pieces that were there and how close a near miss it was.

Yes, they did.
And also the coaches that were on his staff.

NYGisBallin
01-14-2013, 09:23 AM
Cleveland.

Yeah, because that franchise is known for its winning...

bearbryant
01-14-2013, 01:23 PM
TC didnt have much HC experience back then if i recall correctly, it was after his stint on the Parcells staff that he took the Boston College gig, and went from there to Jacksonville (where he made a playoff contender out of a freaking expansion team with Mark freaking Brunell at QB)

But I have no idea why Young let Handley take over the organization.

Must of been divine intervention!!! Realy, They waited too long to pull the trigger. But they also passed over Erhardt and Crennel as well.

EliDaMANning
01-14-2013, 01:35 PM
We would be in the playoffs every year with him as our coach. And with Eli has his QB forget it. Dynasty.

Morehead State
01-14-2013, 01:36 PM
We would be in the playoffs every year with him as our coach. And with Eli has his QB forget it. Dynasty.
You know BB has one of, if not the best QB in NFL history.......Right?

EliDaMANning
01-14-2013, 01:39 PM
You know BB has one of, if not the best QB in NFL history.......Right?And he would have the same here in NY. Except someone who is much more clutch.

nhpgiantsfan
01-14-2013, 01:42 PM
Pretty sure our current head coach beat BB twice on the NFL's biggest stage.

Morehead State
01-14-2013, 01:44 PM
And he would have the same here in NY. Except someone who is much more clutch.
I"m sorry...this is where you guys lose your credibility. Tom Brady may be the greatest QB of all time. Eli is a nice player but hardly in that category.

joemorrisforprez
01-14-2013, 01:47 PM
Coughlin has earned the right to coach until he decides it is time to step down.

With the Giants out, I'm totally pulling for Belichick....

Check out 18:20 to 23:00.....this guy will ALWAYS be a NY Giant in his heart.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4xEU2xcJOFw

Morehead State
01-14-2013, 01:50 PM
Coughlin has earned the right to coach until he decides it is time to step down.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4xEU2xcJOFw

I'm rooting for NE as well.
BB is a true Giant.

joemorrisforprez
01-14-2013, 02:02 PM
I'm rooting for NE as well.
BB is a true Giant.

I think some of us old schoolers get how much the Giants meant to Belichick, and how much what you see today is a reflection of what he learned under the Giants organization.....his success is a positive reflection on the Giants, in my opinion.

He's one of the main reasons why Parcells was successful.....don't get me wrong, I loved Parcells, but with Belichick, he had a guy that pretty much could figure out a gameplan in the week prior to the game, and then another gameplan at halftime if needed.

Nobody made adjustments like Belichick.....maybe that's why I'm so rough on the coordinators we have, because we had a HOF staff with Parcells, Coughlin, and Belichick. Really sick when you think about it.

joemorrisforprez
01-14-2013, 02:09 PM
Parcells picked Handley as his successor and the organization bought it. When Parcells blindsided the Giants they had little choice

George Young and Parcells didn't get along.....Young had no interest in Parcells' guys (Belichick, Coughlin) either.

I'll grant that Parcells didn't help the process in quitting so late after the 1990 season....but he had heart troubles, so it's not like he had alot of control over that situation.

As far as George Young and Belichick are concerned......Belichick was NEVER going to be picked by George Young, even though it should have been insanely obvious that Belichick was the right successor - he was a) Brilliant, b) intensely loyal c) dedicated d) young.

I'll give credit to George Young for hiring Parcells......but not much beyond that. He'll always be the GM that built and then took apart a potential dynasty.

Thank God for Ernie Accorsi, that's all I'll say. And as much as I criticize Reese, he's a tremendous GM and head and shoulders above George Young.

Some interesting links on this topic...

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/giants/giants-blundered-ray-handley-hire-launched-bill-belichick-career-article-1.345698

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1138788/index.htm

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/columns/story?columnist=wojciechowski_gene&id=3217121&sportCat=nfl

Rusty192
01-14-2013, 02:36 PM

My ultimate dream would be once TC retires in glory, and when Brady hangs em up in New England, Belichick will come back home as our head coach.

That would be too awesome.

gumby74
01-14-2013, 02:42 PM
You know BB has one of, if not the best QB in NFL history.......Right?

And he would have the same here in NY. Except someone who is much more clutch.

Gotta love the 2012'er posts.

Cloud57
01-14-2013, 02:43 PM
My ultimate dream would be once TC retires in glory, and when Brady hangs em up in New England, Belichick will come back home as our head coach.

That would be too awesome.I think Belichick will retire by then

EliDaMANning
01-14-2013, 02:52 PM
I"m sorry...this is where you guys lose your credibility. Tom Brady may be the greatest QB of all time. Eli is a nice player but hardly in that category.0 rings after spygate.

Enough said.

Morehead State
01-14-2013, 02:56 PM
0 rings after spygate.

Enough said.
Like arguing with a post.

njg85m
01-14-2013, 03:01 PM
I've said in other threads before, if situations coincide with each other, Belichick could very well wind up finishing his career with the Giants.

BuffyBlueII
01-14-2013, 03:04 PM
I"m sorry...this is where you guys lose your credibility. Tom Brady may be the greatest QB of all time. Eli is a nice player but hardly in that category.

There are maybe 2 other QBs in that category with Tom Brady and they are Joe Montana and Bart Starr.

Eli Manning is a great clutch post season QB and I am quite happy he is our QB. He is going to be a 1st ballot HoFer based on his SuperBowl runs and consecutives games streak alone. However, Tom Brady is in my opinion, The Greatest QB of all time. This is not a knock on Eli Manning. I am just calling it how it is.

P_Simms_#11
01-14-2013, 03:14 PM
8:47: "That's about the only thing i can cheer for in Philadelphia, is The National Anthem."

Gotta love it.

Giants5699
01-14-2013, 03:52 PM

Look what Coughlin did to the expansion Jaguars.

jakegibbs
01-14-2013, 03:54 PM
Or Lombardi?
Or Landry?

Hold on the Giants are 3 wins vs 1 loss in the last 4 meetings oh how quickly we forget.

EliDaMANning
01-14-2013, 04:30 PM
There are maybe 2 other QBs in that category with Tom Brady and they are Joe Montana and Bart Starr.

Eli Manning is a great clutch post season QB and I am quite happy he is our QB. He is going to be a 1st ballot HoFer based on his SuperBowl runs and consecutives games streak alone. However, Tom Brady is in my opinion, The Greatest QB of all time. This is not a knock on Eli Manning. I am just calling it how it is.Tom Brady the GOAT? I won't argue, you are entitled to your opinion.

I would take Eli over him in big games though.

SweetZombieJesus
01-14-2013, 04:33 PM

There was a time when they were. 4 AAFC championships and 4 NFL championships. Jim Brown era.

SweetZombieJesus
01-14-2013, 04:36 PM
I think some of us old schoolers get how much the Giants meant to Belichick, and how much what you see today is a reflection of what he learned under the Giants organization.....his success is a positive reflection on the Giants, in my opinion.

He still shows his linebackers film of the Giants linebacking corps. It kind of ticks them off, but he told them "that's how you play linebacker."

joemorrisforprez
01-14-2013, 04:56 PM
0 rings after spygate.

Enough said.

Come on, dude.....that sounds like something a Jets fan would say.

Bill Belichick has always been a tremendous coach. The only reason he's missing 2 more rings is because our coach kicks ***, too.

ELI_HOF_NYG
01-14-2013, 05:02 PM
Come on, dude.....that sounds like something a Jets fan would say.

Bill Belichick has always been a tremendous coach. The only reason he's missing 2 more rings is because our coach kicks ***, too.

cant pretend that it didnt happen,,and cant ignore the fact that he hasnt won since then,,coincedence? maye/maybe not. I found it more alarming that the NFL just went ahead and destroyed the tapes.

joemorrisforprez
01-14-2013, 05:06 PM

Eli Manning is a great clutch post season QB and I am quite happy he is our QB. He is going to be a 1st ballot HoFer based on his SuperBowl runs and consecutives games streak alone. However, Tom Brady is in my opinion, The Greatest QB of all time. This is not a knock on Eli Manning. I am just calling it how it is.

I agree that Brady is going to be considered with the all-time greats.

Your comments on Eli are also well-made. Bottom line is that Eli has won 2 Super Bowls......I can think of a ton of QBs that can throw a prettier spiral, or can move around in the pocket better, or have a more accurate arm, etc., etc.

But I can think of very few QBs that function as smoothly as Eli Manning when trailing in a huge game. Any coach in the NFL would jump at the chance to have that sort of clutch play in a QB.

We know Brady has the same quality......we don't know if Kapernick, Ryan, or Flacco do.

thomasjmarino
01-14-2013, 05:26 PM

Absolutely!!!

thomasjmarino
01-14-2013, 05:31 PM

That would be too awesome.

With Eli still here and Brady gone, anything is possible.
Like the man says, "this can be all yours if the price is right"
Note to Mr. Mara - meet with Bill Belichick

thomasjmarino
01-14-2013, 05:34 PM
Hold on the Giants are 3 wins vs 1 loss in the last 4 meetings oh how quickly we forget.

And how many times has BB made the playoffs?
And how many times has BB made the SB?
And how many times has BB won the SB?
Really?????

Marvelousmik
01-14-2013, 05:51 PM

When he lost his qb he still went 11-5. BB in my opinion is the best coach to ever play the game. add the best qb and that = a dynasty. thats what they are right now. I do think rodgers might be better though.

Marvelousmik
01-14-2013, 05:54 PM
I agree that Brady is going to be considered with the all-time greats.

Your comments on Eli are also well-made. Bottom line is that Eli has won 2 Super Bowls......I can think of a ton of QBs that can throw a prettier spiral, or can move around in the pocket better, or have a more accurate arm, etc., etc.

But I can think of very few QBs that function as smoothly as Eli Manning when trailing in a huge game. Any coach in the NFL would jump at the chance to have that sort of clutch play in a QB.

We know Brady has the same quality......we don't know if Kapernick, Ryan, or Flacco do.

ryan and flacco has showed that ability

joemorrisforprez
01-14-2013, 06:20 PM
ryan and flacco has showed that ability

Not in a championship game.

L.T.56
01-14-2013, 11:42 PM
belichik has always been a defensive genius. the fact that his defensive game plan from the giants-bills superbowl is in the pro football hall of fame just proves that. that bills offense was one of the best offenses in nfl history and his gameplan helped slow that offense down dramatically.

GTGiantsFan
01-14-2013, 11:54 PM
Until he wins another superbowl after spygate Belichick will always be questioned in my eyes.

stormblue
01-15-2013, 12:09 AM
Until he wins another superbowl after spygate Belichick will always be questioned in my eyes.

well...you probably only need to wait for 3 more weeks.

and besides....you can't out-coach an "immaculate reception" ...
or a "helmet-catch"....or a "manningham miracle".

joemorrisforprez
01-15-2013, 12:48 AM
belichik has always been a defensive genius. the fact that his defensive game plan from the giants-bills superbowl is in the pro football hall of fame just proves that. that bills offense was one of the best offenses in nfl history and his gameplan helped slow that offense down dramatically.

Agreed. To me "spygate" was a tempest in a teapot.

MikeyMike01
01-15-2013, 01:14 AM
We'd have a dynasty instead of two Super Bowls lodged amongst crap and mediocrity.

stormblue
01-15-2013, 07:13 AM
We'd have a dynasty instead of two Super Bowls lodged amongst crap and mediocrity.

most people around here think our success is a direct result of his coaching.
talk about delusional.
unfortunately....our old school ownership and front office feel the same way.
and being the arrogant , stubborn fly-flicker that he is , he's probably gonna stay here another 9 years....

GameTime
01-15-2013, 07:29 AM
and yuo know this how???

yeah....with "only" 2 SB wins you would still be pissing and moaning no matter how good the or bad the other season were.

Morehead State
01-15-2013, 08:59 AM
I'm sure he's losing sleep over this.

Drez
01-15-2013, 09:20 AM
"manningham miracle". The pass to Manningham was waaaaaaaayyyyyyyyy waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyyy tougher and more impressive than the catch. If you think otherwise you know nothing of football.

Morehead State
01-15-2013, 09:23 AM
The pass to Manningham was waaaaaaaayyyyyyyyy waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyyy tougher and more impressive than the catch. If you think otherwise you know nothing of football.
Oh...Its the old..."if you don't agree with me you know nothing about football" argument.

Good one. Haven't seen that in a while.

Drez
01-15-2013, 09:25 AM
Oh...Its the old..."if you don't agree with me you know nothing about football" argument.

Good one. Haven't seen that in a while.
Bugger off, MS.

And in this case, it's the truth. That catch was more a Manning Miracle than a Manningham Miracle.

Morehead State
01-15-2013, 09:31 AM
Bugger off, MS.

And in this case, it's the truth. That catch was more a Manning Miracle than a Manningham Miracle.
It was a nice throw. He did a good job keeping the throw on the sideline and not throwing it out of bounds. manningham had to slow down and use his body to not only catch the ball and keep his feet in bounds, but the maintain leverage against the defender. Slightly underthrown but still a good throw.
Eli threw it as hard as he could. The throw was nice but the adjustment and catch was an all time great play.
It was one of, if not THE greatest catch in Giants history.

You can see it any way you want to make yourself feel good and I'm all for your happiness.

And guess what...even if you disagree with me, you still probably know something about football.

Drez
01-15-2013, 09:34 AM
It was a nice throw. He did a good job keeping the throw on the sideline and not throwing it out of bounds. manningham had to slow down and use his body to not only catch the ball and keep his feet in bounds, but the maintain leverage against the defender. Slightly underthrown but still a good throw.
Eli threw it as hard as he could. The throw was nice but the adjustment and catch was an all time great play.

You can see it any way you want to make yourself feel good and I'm all for your happiness.

And guess what...even if you disagree with me, you still probably know something about football.
Oh bull, MS. You're just being a contrarian to be an ***.

GameTime
01-15-2013, 09:46 AM
The pass to Manningham was waaaaaaaayyyyyyyyy waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyyy tougher and more impressive than the catch. If you think otherwise you know nothing of football.
eeh....I dont know abou that. They both required great skill but two TOTALLY different skill sets to accomplish. IMO they were equally as impressive. Also considering great passes and catches are made all the time in the NFL. Alsmost on a weekly basis. So neither is really that rare nor are they miracles.

BTW.... I know a lot about football too.....:)

Drez
01-15-2013, 10:13 AM
eeh....I dont know abou that. They both required great skill but two TOTALLY different skill sets to accomplish. IMO they were equally as impressive. Also considering great passes and catches are made all the time in the NFL. Alsmost on a weekly basis. So neither is really that rare nor are they miracles.

If the pass isn't perfect, MM doesn't even have a chance to catch the ball.

The catch was great.

The pass was perfect.

MikeyMike01
01-15-2013, 10:30 AM
and yuo know this how???

yeah....with "only" 2 SB wins you would still be pissing and moaning no matter how good the or bad the other season were.

Winning the Super Bowl does not change the fact that almost all of the other seasons were horrible.

Morehead State
01-15-2013, 11:02 AM

The catch was great.

The pass was perfect.
Watch the play. MM slowed down and still maintained leverage to make the catch. The throw could have been 2 or 3 yards further and he wouldn't have to break stride.
I'm not complaining..it was a very good throw. But this notion that the pass was "perfect" (as if there is any such thing) is far from the truth.
The catch however, was tremendous.

Morehead State
01-15-2013, 11:04 AM

No no...You must NOT know anything about football!!!!!

GameTime
01-15-2013, 11:30 AM
Winning the Super Bowl does not change the fact that almost all of the other seasons were horrible.
so if they had other great seasons and no SB wins wouldn't be pissed then?? Of course you would be. Even moreso because if they were "better" as you say then even more reason to get annoyed at them for not winning more SBs....
I agree about the medicrity but I dont agree about them being a dynasty if BB was coach .

GameTime
01-15-2013, 11:33 AM

The catch was great.

The pass was perfect.
How is a catch while running full speed down the side lines, one defender on you and another ready to lay you out jumping up for the ball with an over the shoulder catch then coming down with two tip toes in bounds. Please bro.....perfect pass and perfect catch......

Drez
01-15-2013, 11:40 AM
Watch the play. MM slowed down and still maintained leverage to make the catch. The throw could have been 2 or 3 yards further and he wouldn't have to break stride.
I'm not complaining..it was a very good throw. But this notion that the pass was "perfect" (as if there is any such thing) is far from the truth.
Anatomy of a Play begs to differ. Eli could not have thrown the ball to any other spot on that play and still had a completion. If that ball is thrown further the safety would be able to break up the play.

http://prod.www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-films-anatomy-of-a-play?orderBy=monthlyViews

Greg Cosell also begs to differ.
http://nflfilms.nfl.com/2012/02/07/cosell-talks-once-again-its-the-quarterback/

Drez
01-15-2013, 11:41 AM
How is a catch while running full speed down the side lines, one defender on you and another ready to lay you out jumping up for the ball with an over the shoulder catch then coming down with two tip toes in bounds. Please bro.....perfect pass and perfect catch......
The catch was nice. I'm not taking anything away from that. However, the pass was much more impressive than the catch.

GameTime
01-15-2013, 11:50 AM
The catch was nice. I'm not taking anything away from that. However, the pass was much more impressive than the catch.

I am not trying to convince you other wise. I think the are equally impressive.....thats me.....

yo-ho
01-15-2013, 11:52 AM
Bill Belinchick is what he is because he coaches in a division where he is guaranteed six wins every season, and he has Tom Brady. Without those two factors he would have a very different win loss record.

GameTime
01-15-2013, 11:52 AM

not many bombs like that are totally caught in stride. of course it happens but more times than not it doesnt. The WR usually has to adjust on long passes. IMO..... the pass, catch, and the whole play were equally awsome.

dezzzR
01-15-2013, 11:54 AM
If Manningham kept running full speed he probably would have caught it in stride but would have gotten lit up by the safety. He did the right thing by slowing down and extending his arms for the catch. Perfect throw, Perfect catch.

GameTime
01-15-2013, 11:54 AM
Bill Belinchick is what he is because he coaches in a division where he is guaranteed six wins every season, and he has Tom Brady. Without those two factors he would have a very different win loss record.
how many great coaches and teams dont have grat QBs....
not a great arguement you present......
nothing is gauranteed. If that were the case then all teams would be great....

Morehead State
01-15-2013, 12:16 PM
QB's throw those kind of passes all the time. Including Eli. He's thrown that same pass probably hundreds of times in his career. Deep sideline throw, to within a few yards of his target. But that catch was an all time great. A catch of a ball that travels 40 yards in the air with a defender draped on you, having to tip toe within an inch of the sidelines with your momentum going out of bounds is rare.

Again..I take nothing away from the throw. It was clutch. But the catch was memorable.

freeoscar
01-15-2013, 12:22 PM
If we had Bellichick, then all the posters here who complain about TC 'only' having 2 SBs and a great string of .500 or better seasons would be complaining about how Bellichick has gone 9yrs without a SB and that his teams always choke in the SB against the Patriots.

If you have such little understanding of the NFL to not appreciate how good we have had it with TC, you'd similarly denigrate Bellichick's accomplishments.

thomasjmarino
01-15-2013, 01:06 PM

Couldn't have said it better myself!!!

Drez
01-15-2013, 01:08 PM
QB's throw those kind of passes all the time. Including Eli. He's thrown that same pass probably hundreds of times in his career. Deep sideline throw, to within a few yards of his target. But that catch was an all time great. A catch of a ball that travels 40 yards in the air with a defender draped on you, having to tip toe within an inch of the sidelines with your momentum going out of bounds is rare.

Again..I take nothing away from the throw. It was clutch. But the catch was memorable.
No, they don't. Not many QB's throw a ball 40+ yards in the air off one foot into arguably a 1 to 2 foot window.

Receivers making catches while being hit on the sidelines are much more routine than that pass.

thomasjmarino
01-15-2013, 01:10 PM

Seriously????
Give me what you're smoking cause I want to get stoned too!!
Belichick is going to go down as the greatest coach in the history of the NFL!

In the last 26 years;
- 5 SB championships (maybe 6 in 3 weeks)
- 7 SB appearances (maybe 8 in 3 weeks)

Just over 3 years for every SB appearance.

I'll take that everyday of the week and twice on Sunday

Morehead State
01-15-2013, 01:18 PM
No, they don't. Not many QB's throw a ball 40+ yards in the air off one foot into arguably a 1 to 2 foot window.

Receivers making catches while being hit on the sidelines are much more routine than that pass.
Hahaha!!!!
I love the twisted view of things.
Its actually impressive. You're like a Terrier who won't let go of my pant leg.

gumby74
01-15-2013, 01:52 PM

If that is the case, BB would be the king of one and done's in the post season. But he's been in what 5 SB's in the last 10 years? In this day in age, that's unbelievable. Best team of all time.

BuffyBlueII
01-15-2013, 02:34 PM
Bugger off, MS.

It was a perfectly thrown pass, that is what it was. Hard to think that Eli wasn't planning that route with the way he was checking Chung to cheat for a good while before that play even happened.

I am very happy with Eli and hope the 2011 version comes back next year. However, Tom Brady is maybe The Greatest QB in history of NFL.

BuffyBlueII
01-15-2013, 03:37 PM

VDC, I think that this pass Eli Manning threw was perfect. The reason MM had to stretch his arms out was because he stutter stepped a little bit. It is a great catch but I also think it is a great throw.

Doogone it, I really want the 2011 version of Eli Manning back.
http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-cant-miss-plays/09000d5d826ac88c/SB-XLVI-Can-t-Miss-Play-Manningham-makes-the-catch

stormblue
01-15-2013, 03:50 PM

i never mentioned "the catch".....which i agree was less than stellar....has nothing to do
with the plays i was referring to.
the plays i pointed out were one time 99% lucky plays that ain't never gonna happen again ....
and impossible to coach against....and before you go cultist on me...i saw them too ....
and they were both chuck-n-duck prayers....and we all know it.
without those 2 miracles (MM and Tyree) ...we don't get those rings....period...
and Belichick and Brady have a couple more.
and neither play is a testament to Coughlin's coaching genius nor Belichick's lack of it.

"the catch" was just a decent ending to a great game winning drive....nothing lucky or special about it....
and has nothing whatsoever to do with what i was talking about.

giantsforce
01-15-2013, 03:53 PM
well...you probably only need to wait for 3 more weeks.

and besides....you can't out-coach an "immaculate reception" ...
or a "helmet-catch"....or a "manningham miracle".But don't you know? If you ask many here, they would tell you that's how our coaches designed these plays! Coughlin told Killdrive to tell Eli to play Houdini and escape the rush and chuck it down the field where Tyree would wait with superglue on his helmet to make the catch.

stormblue
01-15-2013, 04:02 PM

we play in a division where the division champ wouldn't even qualify for a wild card.
and there are only 6 division games anyway....

Drez
01-15-2013, 04:15 PM
i never mentioned "the catch".....which i agree was less than stellar....has nothing to do
with the plays i was referring to.
the plays i pointed out were one time 99% lucky plays that ain't never gonna happen again ....
and impossible to coach against....and before you go cultist on me...i saw them too ....
and they were both chuck-n-duck prayers....and we all know it.
without those 2 miracles (MM and Tyree) ...we don't get those rings....period...
and Belichick and Brady have a couple more.
and neither play is a testament to Coughlin's coaching genius nor Belichick's lack of it.

"the catch" was just a decent ending to a great game winning drive....nothing lucky or special about it....
and has nothing whatsoever to do with what i was talking about.
There was nothing miraculous about the MM play. Nor was it a chuck and duck. It was a perfect pass into a very tight window. The play design made the safety on MMs side cheat a half step or two inside, which was all that was needed. That catch was also the start of that drive, not the ending of it.

The Tyree catch was a bit of luck. Eli didn't throw his best pass. Had it been a little lower or a little faster in getting there then Tyree wouldn't have had to catch it on his helmet.

YATittle1962
01-15-2013, 05:22 PM

He's one of the main reasons why Parcells was successful.....don't get me wrong, I loved Parcells, but with Belichick, he had a guy that pretty much could figure out a gameplan in the week prior to the game, and then another gameplan at halftime if needed.

Nobody made adjustments like Belichick.....maybe that's why I'm so rough on the coordinators we have, because we had a HOF staff with Parcells, Coughlin, and Belichick. Really sick when you think about it.

absolutely

Parcells made Belichick........but in some very important aspects Belichick made Parcells

as for Landry and Lombardi

Landry was not about to turn down the Dallas job

and Lombardi actually tried to get out of his contract with Green Bay when he got wind that Jim Lee Howell was leaving but could not

Toadofsteel
01-15-2013, 06:53 PM
and Lombardi actually tried to get out of his contract with Green Bay when he got wind that Jim Lee Howell was leaving but could not

Damn, imagine what it would have been like had we had Lombardi as our HC all those years...

SweetZombieJesus
01-15-2013, 08:09 PM

One could say the same about Bill Walsh -- he was in the terribly weak NFC West and had Joe Montana.

That doesn't diminish how great he was.

Bill Belichick has gotten his team to FIVE Super Bowls and won three of them.

nhpgiantsfan
01-15-2013, 08:28 PM
One could say the same about Bill Walsh -- he was in the terribly weak NFC West and had Joe Montana.

That doesn't diminish how great he was.

Bill Belichick has gotten his team to FIVE Super Bowls and won three of them.

and the two he lost were to Tom Coughlin. It clearly shows, when a team can limit Tom Brady.. Bill is all of a sudden very human.

brownelvis54
01-15-2013, 08:32 PM
Imagine if we had Lovie Smith ( now that he is available) instead of Fewell

YATittle1962
01-15-2013, 10:42 PM
Damn, imagine what it would have been like had we had Lombardi as our HC all those years...

Vince wanted that job more than anything in the world

that was his team

giantsfan420
01-16-2013, 01:15 AM
lmao MS, "the pass was underthrown" (sb 46 pass to MM). wow. that may have been the greatest pass in SB history, perhaps NFL history. that was an absolute frozen rope that had to actually gain speed as it traveled to beat NE's safety. It was a 50 yd bullet on a dime that couldnt have been placed as well were you to hand it to MM. He stuck out his hands and the ball fell right into his fingers/hand.

lmao. the fact u could misrepresent that play in the way you did is proof of something, what, i have no idea lol.

Marvelousmik
01-16-2013, 01:57 AM
lmao MS, "the pass was underthrown" (sb 46 pass to MM). wow. that may have been the greatest pass in SB history, perhaps NFL history. that was an absolute frozen rope that had to actually gain speed as it traveled to beat NE's safety. It was a 50 yd bullet on a dime that couldnt have been placed as well were you to hand it to MM. He stuck out his hands and the ball fell right into his fingers/hand.

lmao. the fact u could misrepresent that play in the way you did is proof of something, what, i have no idea lol.

I cant even lie. Besides the tyree grab, thats probably the best throw and catch ive ever seen

SweetZombieJesus
01-16-2013, 05:12 AM
and the two he lost were to Tom Coughlin. It clearly shows, when a team can limit Tom Brady.. Bill is all of a sudden very human.

ONLY the Giants have been able to defeat him that way.

Also the only other team to win 3 Super Bowls in 4 years is the 92-95 Cowboys. Lombardi didn't do it, the Steelers didn't do it, the 49ers didn't do it.

EliDaMANning
01-16-2013, 08:32 AM

lmao. the fact u could misrepresent that play in the way you did is proof of something, what, i have no idea lol.There isn't a more delusional poster on these boards than MS

EliDaMANning
01-16-2013, 08:35 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9XSgZzHSts0

This guy is actually saying if Eli hit him in stride he could've broken free for TD? I don't even know what to say about this...

BuffyBlueII
01-16-2013, 01:01 PM
I cant even lie. Besides the tyree grab, thats probably the best throw and catch ive ever seen

The pass to MM in SuperBowl XLVI was a perfect throw. Now, this is the point I do use in the discussions we have about Aaron Rodgers and Eli Manning. Ok, after this past season and what he did to take his team to the playoffs I really can’t debate that Aaron Rodgers is not better than Eli Manning, he is. However, I have never seen Aaron Rodgers make a throw like the one Eli Manning made to MM in SuperBowl XLVI. That is what I mean when I state that “Eli Manning has made throws that Aaron Rodgers hasn’t. It doesn’t mean that I think Eli has a stronger arm. No. Aaron Rodgers has one of the strongest arms in NFL and Eli Manning doesn’t. It simply means that I have never seen Aaron Rodgers make that perfect of a throw like the one Eli Manning did to MM. Does that help to clear up any confusion or assumptions from the previous disscussions we have had on the subject? Please realize I am not trying tpo be condesending.

BuffyBlueII
01-16-2013, 01:06 PM

On the flip side. The horrible seasons donít take away the fact that we won 2 Superbowls in 5 years.

GameTime
01-16-2013, 01:29 PM
imagine, if you will, how "horrible" they would have been without 2 SB wins....

please.....