PDA

View Full Version : How Will The Giants Handle Cornerback Corey Webster

RoanokeFan
01-13-2013, 03:45 PM
http://www.giants101.com/2013/01/13/new-york-giants-must-find-a-new-role-for-corey-webster-in-2013/

(http://www.wylio.com/credits/flickr/5070561336)Excerpt: "New York Giants' cornerback Corey Webster (http://www.giants101.com/tag/corey-webster/) just finished his eighth season with the team. He's been part of two Super Bowl championship squads and has established himself as a mainstay in Big Blue's secondary. However, after having perhaps he worst season of any starting cornerback in the NFL (http://www.giants101.com/tag/nfl/) in 2012, the soon to be 31 year old Webster showed serious signs of decline. With that, general manager Jerry Reese is now tasked with finding a replacement for Webster at the No. 1 cornerback position

Obviously, the most logical answer to that dilemma is by handing those responsibilities off to Prince Amukamara (http://www.giants101.com/tag/prince-amukamara/). Despite a tumultuous rookie season, Prince rebounded to have a productive 2012 campaign. He was hampered by injuries in the latter stages of the year, but Amukamara's play was perhaps the most consistent aspect of a secondary that was a dumpster fire for most of the season. We can count on Prince to further improve next year. However, there's not much behind him on the cornerback depth chart.

Barring a bounce back season, Webster is a No. 3 corner at this point of his career. Terrell Thomas (http://www.giants101.com/tag/terrell-thomas/) is coming off the third ACL tear of his career and second in as many seasons, while Jayron Hosley is undersized and has trouble playing outside of the slot. There's not much talent lining the cornerback depth chart heading into the offseason, which begs the question: How is the Giants secondary supposed to improve in 2013?" Read more...

Cloud57
01-13-2013, 03:53 PM
bench warmer

I hope we draft this guy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHqB6Xg2X44

KjGiants23
01-13-2013, 03:55 PM
I just want Terrell Thomas back and healthy.

RoanokeFan
01-13-2013, 03:58 PM
I just want Terrell Thomas back and healthy.

That could be a tall order for 3 ACL tears

KjGiants23
01-13-2013, 04:01 PM
That could be a tall order for 3 ACL tears I know, but I just hope he is willing to put forth the effort.

RoanokeFan
01-13-2013, 04:02 PM
I know, but I just hope he is willing to put forth the effort.

I think he'll make the effort, but will his knee hold up or hold him back?

KjGiants23
01-13-2013, 04:06 PM
I think he'll make the effort, but will his knee hold up or hold him back? Very good point. I am looking forward to seeing him play. We'll see.

RoanokeFan
01-13-2013, 04:08 PM
Very good point. I am looking forward to seeing him play. We'll see.

There should be a lot of interesting competitions in camp

Giantsfan241
01-13-2013, 04:17 PM
Thomas is done.

nhpgiantsfan
01-13-2013, 04:22 PM
He wasn't that good before his ACL'S, forgetting now.

giantsfan420
01-13-2013, 04:29 PM
plus, isnt his contract written where if he plays the 2nd year he gets like top 5 corner money? i dunno wtf jr was thinking on that one...

Roosevelt
01-13-2013, 04:49 PM
...why would you even say that?

lol.

RagTime Blue
01-13-2013, 04:50 PM
Let's face it, the Giants aren't going to do anything with Corey Webster. You don't lose your job for poor performance on this team. You only lose your job when your contract is up.

Eli TO Shockey
01-13-2013, 05:02 PM
I think he'd make for an excellent free agent. Love Webby and all that he's done for the gmen...but its time to move on. Not worth the money hes gonna get this upcoming season.

BMW
01-13-2013, 05:05 PM
Waterboy.

Roosevelt
01-13-2013, 05:15 PM
Let's face it, the Giants aren't going to do anything with Corey Webster. You don't lose your job for poor performance on this team. You only lose your job when your contract is up.

Not necessarily. Corey would only be a $875,000 cap hit to cut according to SNYTV. He must restructure or he'll be gone.

http://snygiants.com/2013-new-york-giants/salary-cap-reese-giants-facing-winter-of-harsh-realities/

The_ One
01-13-2013, 05:16 PM
I just want Terrell Thomas back and healthy.TT is done. Plus he was not much of a cover corner to begin with.

rainierjef
01-13-2013, 05:19 PM
...why would you even say that?

+1
anyway back on topic. TT2 will heal but I am extremely doubtful that knee will hold up all season long. only because you are repairing ligament graphed from another site either the same knee or other knee. I am afraid it might be time to let him go.

RagTime Blue
01-13-2013, 05:28 PM
Not necessarily. Corey would only be a $875,000 cap hit to cut according to SNYTV. He must restructure or he'll be gone.

http://snygiants.com/2013-new-york-giants/salary-cap-reese-giants-facing-winter-of-harsh-realities/

Fantastic link. Thanks.

Eli TO Shockey
01-13-2013, 05:33 PM
Fantastic link. Thanks.

seems like a no brainer. How much would be fair for Cweb at this stage in his career? 1yr 2mil?

G-Men Surg.
01-13-2013, 06:10 PM
I'm sorry but I don't see Corey as a corner slot. Don't see him as a safety. If his not a 1st or 2 nd CB then he has nithing left to give to the Giants. That been said Corey obviously had a down year but I feel he has some left of the tank. The question here is if the Giants are willing to stick with Webster at that price tag his draging along. My best bet ? Pay cut all the way.

thomasjmarino
01-13-2013, 10:51 PM
Toast Redux

GiantRoc
01-13-2013, 11:34 PM
seems like a no brainer. How much would be fair for Cweb at this stage in his career? 1yr 2mil?

I honestly don't think he can afford to pay us that much.

G-MENBK
01-13-2013, 11:40 PM
I honestly don't think he can afford to pay us that much.

Zing!

ELI_HOF_NYG
01-14-2013, 01:05 AM
team bus driver?

embeshAtYa
01-14-2013, 09:47 AM
Not sure about this one. I dont think it was a case of physical decline. Lot of times he got picked on I think his coverage was good. Just didn know ball was coming. Lack of ability to locate ball or lack of awareness. Must be something seen on film and copied by everyone. Also it didn help that the front 7 didnt get pressure all year. Enough pressure.

dezzzR
01-14-2013, 10:27 AM
Im probably in the minority, and Im sure hes lost a step but I think its due to Corey just being in terrible position and no safety help most the time. If you recall, TT was picked on in 2010, Ross was picked on in 2011, Corey was picked on this year.....I dont think its the players.

shane4177
01-14-2013, 10:38 AM
Hate to say this....but we should follow DAL example. Dump Webby........and retool the CBs. We have Prince, so either find him a complimentary partner in the draft, or find a gem in FA that we can afford, i.e. Clairborne and Carr.....

CDN_G-FAN
01-14-2013, 10:44 AM
this is what i don't like about these articles.

we all (or almost all) are assuming that Webster is now garbage and needs to be replaced. Just like after being in the league for 3 years before becoming a starter (and only became a starter because of an injury), most of us thought he was useless.

Webby might be done, or there might be some reason why he stunk so bad this year.

there's really only two facts i know about this situation: webby stunk this year and his cap hit for next year doesn't match his performance this year.

beyond that, i'll trust reese and the coaches to figure out what to do with webby.

CowboysSuck
01-14-2013, 12:22 PM
Anyone who thinks TT is going to return as an above average corner is living on a prayer. With CWebb, Prince, Hosley, Coe .....the media is making this out to be more than it is. We are fine.

The real question is what the **** do we do at LB and OL?

Boley? Hes getting a little old
Kiwi>? Was he ever a true LB? lets be honest..
Williams? He looks good at time
Rivers? Played 1/4 of the season
Chase? The only real bright spot....and that says something

OLineman
Snee? Overrated but servicable
Diehl? Gottttta go
Baas? sub-par at best
Beatty? Im willing to give another shot
Boothe? Average

WE NEED TO ADDRESS LB AND OL.....and Reese knows it

p.s : Fewell may have something to do with this mess

PennState1
01-14-2013, 12:32 PM
The best role for Webby is to be on the market looking for another team to end his career with. He's done and we need another young stud CB because we always have injury issues at this spot so we need youthful depth in our Dbackfield. It's also time to cut tied with TT.

Carter.525
01-14-2013, 12:52 PM
why not put Prince on the 1s, Webster on the 2s and Hosley in the slot..??

RoanokeFan
01-14-2013, 12:54 PM
http://www.giants101.com/2013/01/14/how-will-new-york-giants-handle-cornerback-corey-webster/

For the better part of the 2011 season and nearly all of the 2012 season, theNew York Giants (http://www.giants101.com/tag/new-york-giants/) showed a propensity for giving up big plays in the passing game. This, among a slew of other issues, contributed to a maddening inconsistency that led to the teams demise.

A major culprit in giving up so many big plays was veteran cornerback Corey Webster (http://www.giants101.com/tag/corey-webster/). Webster was victimized on all kinds of forgettable plays throughout the season.

His worst day came at the hands of Torrey Smith, Joe Flacco (who would later school Champ Bailey multiple times as well) and the Baltimore Ravens in week 16. Smith was other worldly, making one-handed catches and abusing Webster with his ability to catch back shoulder throws and track deep passes in the air.

Lump his 2012 season in with a base salary of $7 million in 2013 and one would think they were staring at a prime candidate to be cut. Though $7 million is a very hefty number, Giants fans should re-consider their assertion that he should be off the team in 2013.

General Manager Jerry Reese (http://www.giants101.com/tag/jerry-reese/) and the Giants organization will without a doubt ask Webster to re-structure his deal and take a pay-cut. At this point, such a request is warranted. But it's also likely they want to keep him on the team either way.

Webster played through a hamstring injury of unknown severity for the duration of the season and a broken hand since week three. He is a veteran presence in a secondary with a lot of unknowns heading into next season." Read more...

giantsfan420
01-14-2013, 01:06 PM
this is what i don't like about these articles.

we all (or almost all) are assuming that Webster is now garbage and needs to be replaced. Just like after being in the league for 3 years before becoming a starter (and only became a starter because of an injury), most of us thought he was useless.

Webby might be done, or there might be some reason why he stunk so bad this year.

there's really only two facts i know about this situation: webby stunk this year and his cap hit for next year doesn't match his performance this year.

beyond that, i'll trust reese and the coaches to figure out what to do with webby.nice post. i was just thinking, watch webster make everyone look stupid a 2nd time

RoanokeFan
01-14-2013, 01:37 PM
Im probably in the minority, and Im sure hes lost a step but I think its due to Corey just being in terrible position and no safety help most the time. If you recall, TT was picked on in 2010, Ross was picked on in 2011, Corey was picked on this year.....I dont think its the players.

He was also playing with a season long hamstring issue and a broken hand for most of the season. Reese will do the right thing for the team.

BigBlue1971
01-14-2013, 01:46 PM
if Webby stays with the team he will have to take a pay cut imo! he got beat too many times for this to be isolated issues!

besides he knows others are waiting in the wings. and a couple of these guys might already be as good as Webby is!

he wouldnt start on most teams right now! i like the guy but his production is noticeably deceasing.

PennState1
01-14-2013, 03:34 PM
He was also playing with a season long hamstring issue and a broken hand for most of the season. Reese will do the right thing for the team.There always things the fans don't know. I'd like to SE as much youth as possible at corner but I agree with you that we must trust JR and know he will make the best decision regarding personnel

Eli TO Shockey
01-14-2013, 03:35 PM
Anyone who thinks TT is going to return as an above average corner is living on a prayer. With CWebb, Prince, Hosley, Coe .....the media is making this out to be more than it is. We are fine.

The real question is what the **** do we do at LB and OL?

Boley? Hes getting a little old
Kiwi>? Was he ever a true LB? lets be honest..
Williams? He looks good at time
Rivers? Played 1/4 of the season
Chase? The only real bright spot....and that says something

OLineman
Snee? Overrated but servicable
Diehl? Gottttta go
Baas? sub-par at best
Beatty? Im willing to give another shot
Boothe? Average

WE NEED TO ADDRESS LB AND OL.....and Reese knows it

p.s : Fewell may have something to do with this mess

Coe was last seen wearing a cowboys jersey

ShakeandBake
01-14-2013, 04:00 PM

Bingo, I would be surprised if TT was able to come back and win a starting position on defense. We have our #1 in Prince and potentially a very good cover man for the slot in Hosley. Webster got burned way too much this season and I would like to see us use a 1st on a corner if we don't on a DE.

joemorrisforprez
01-14-2013, 05:18 PM
I don't think the Giants should overpay to retain Webster....but losing him degrades the secondary.

Yes, he struggled at times this year.....but he had no pass rush, and in many cases, his coverage wasn't bad.

In the Baltimore game, the Ravens were making some sick catches.

If Webster leaves, and the Giants are decimated by injuries again, it could get really ugly.

CDN_G-FAN
01-14-2013, 05:42 PM
I don't think the Giants should overpay to retain Webster....but losing him degrades the secondary.

Yes, he struggled at times this year.....but he had no pass rush, and in many cases, his coverage wasn't bad.

In the Baltimore game, the Ravens were making some sick catches.

If Webster leaves, and the Giants are decimated by injuries again, it could get really ugly.

+1

you only have to picture what this secondary would look like with webby gone and one starting CB out of commission to understand why their strategy probably isn't just cut him and be done with it.

just like rocky benard they'll ask him to restructure and the result if he doesn't will probably be to cut him, but unlike rocky i think he'll get snapped up by someone hoping to look like they're adding a serious piece to the puzzle.

in other words, some team hoping to do what fans encourage them to do: do something, and don't worry too much about if its the right thing.

joemorrisforprez
01-14-2013, 07:18 PM
+1

you only have to picture what this secondary would look like with webby gone and one starting CB out of commission to understand why their strategy probably isn't just cut him and be done with it.

just like rocky benard they'll ask him to restructure and the result if he doesn't will probably be to cut him, but unlike rocky i think he'll get snapped up by someone hoping to look like they're adding a serious piece to the puzzle.

in other words, some team hoping to do what fans encourage them to do: do something, and don't worry too much about if its the right thing.

I agree....and Webster's appeal would increase for a team that plays alot of man coverage.

2012 was certainly not his best year....but prior to that, he was about as close to a shut-down CB that the Giants had.

Eliscruzzz
01-14-2013, 07:21 PM
bench warmer

I hope we draft this guy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHqB6Xg2X44he will be gone way before 19

CowboysSuck
01-14-2013, 08:43 PM

Tryon***

throw Will Hill and Stevie Brown in the mix too. CB is not a TOP priority

Tommy_Ribs
01-14-2013, 08:59 PM
In all likelihood Webster will be released, Amukamara and Hosely will be our starting corners, and we draft 1 or 2 corners along with some offensive linemen.

Marvelousmik
01-14-2013, 09:12 PM
In all likelihood Webster will be released, Amukamara and Hosely will be our starting corners, and we draft 1 or 2 corners along with some offensive linemen.

i feel like we need a MLB more than a corner.

big blue dog
01-14-2013, 09:15 PM
hosely does not match up well size wise with the recievers in our division /confrence

jomo
01-14-2013, 09:28 PM
+1

in other words, some team hoping to do what fans encourage them to do: do something, and don't worry too much about if its the right thing.Someone will over pay him. It won't be us.

drewz
01-14-2013, 09:40 PM
I don't think Prince is good enough to be a #1 corner, Hosley is much better suited in the slot. They best I can hold out for is that we draft a big physical corner that can line up on our #1, Prince stays on the #2, Hosley in the slot.

Carter.525
01-14-2013, 09:47 PM
I don't think Prince is good enough to be a #1 corner, Hosley is much better suited in the slot. They best I can hold out for is that we draft a big physical corner that can line up on our #1, Prince stays on the #2, Hosley in the slot.

Banks or Rhodes would look real nice next to Prince & Hosley..

WiIdcat
01-14-2013, 09:54 PM
Thomas is done.

This. And he was so overhyped its ridiculous. He's average at best. Gotta build around Prince with another high draft pick.

Tommy_Ribs
01-14-2013, 10:08 PM
i feel like we need a MLB more than a corner.

Yup - that's true too.

I think we need a corner, a couple of LBs, OT and Guard.

We'll see what happens.

I do think Canty, Webster, Phillips and maybe Boley will be gone.

For Canty we have Marvin Austin and maybe a cheap FA to replace him

For Webster, we have Amukamara and Hosely, and probably draft pick

For Phillips, we have Steve Brown and Tyler Sash

For Boley we have a lot of young LBs we need to step up.

I think we re-load a lot this off-season.

drewz
01-14-2013, 10:17 PM
Banks or Rhodes would look real nice next to Prince & Hosley..

Rhodes would be awesome man.. 6'2, 217lbs.. and he loves getting his hands on receivers..

gfd_2
01-14-2013, 10:44 PM
TT is done. 3 knee ops, its a no brainer to let him go. CWeb seems to have lost some heart/ ball hawing skills this year. If he signs a Big cut in pay then bring him back because friggin' knee injuries kill us at this position. Need to pull in talent via FA and the draft.