PDA

View Full Version : New York Giants Keep Or Dump: Ahmad Bradshaw

RoanokeFan
01-14-2013, 02:44 PM
http://www.giants101.com/2013/01/14/new-york-giants-keep-or-dump-ahmad-bradshaw/

Excerpt: "The New York Giants (http://www.giants101.com/tag/new-york-giants/) have several offseason decisions to make after falling flat on their faces in 2012. There are questions along the offensive line, in the secondary, at linebacker and almost everywhere in between. But perhaps the most intriguing player personnel decision that general manager Jerry Reese (http://www.giants101.com/tag/jerry-reese/) will make in the offseason will be on how the team handles running back Ahmad Bradshaw (http://www.giants101.com/tag/ahmad-bradshaw/) going forward.

Bradshaw is going to be 27-years-old next season, which even in running back years, qualifies him as young. However, his chronic foot issues have caused him to miss six games over the past two seasons, and he's played the majority of the last two years at well below full strength. As a player who can no longer be relied upon as a featured running back, it may not be worth paying him $3.75 million to get 11 carries per game. Given the Giants' current salary cap struggles, Bradshaw's salary is going to be even further magnified.

Obviously, if the team were going to replace Bradshaw, there needs to be a replacement waiting in the wings. Luckily for Big Blue, David Wilson (http://www.giants101.com/tag/david-wilson/) is itching to get more touches out of the backfield. Furthermore, Andre Brown (http://www.giants101.com/tag/andre-brown/) has shown a propensity to make plays between the tackles and around the goal line. On paper, it appears as if the Giants have a formidable running back tandem already on the roster behind Bradshaw. However, in reality, both youngsters still have a lot to prove if they want to become starting running backs in the NFL (http://www.giants101.com/tag/nfl/)." Read more...

Rudyy
01-14-2013, 02:45 PM
This is a tough one..

RoanokeFan
01-14-2013, 02:50 PM
This is a tough one..

I can see both sides of this argument. Personally, I don't think he can carry the load as he has. His feet aren't going to get better but he could play a key reduced role. In order for that to happen, it's very likely Reese will ask for a pay cut. Is he willing to take the pay cut? Could he ask to be released hoping to have a more prominent role elsewhere?

Rudyy
01-14-2013, 02:52 PM
He probably won't have a prominent role somewhere else knowing his injury history.
Having said that that, he should take a pay cut and/or a reduced role on the team.

GameTime
01-14-2013, 02:54 PM
He couldnt carry the role the last two years without injury. I love AB but he has to be used sparingly.....but how effective would he be in a limited role??

this isa tough tough call....

Carter.525
01-14-2013, 02:54 PM
I'll role with Wilson & Brown.. maybe draft another back in the later rounds.

NYG4lifeNYK
01-14-2013, 03:18 PM
It's a tough decision because he makes far too much money to not be the #1.

He would be a FANTASTIC backup as the second or third back. I've always said that Bradshaw would be best suited either in the second Q and second half when the defense is more tired.

If Andre Brown can stay healthy him and Wilson are going to wreak SERIOUS havoc.....

RoanokeFan
01-14-2013, 03:19 PM

I think Scott and Lumpkin could round out the backfield.

ELI_HOF_NYG
01-14-2013, 03:19 PM
You got to know when to hold 'em, know when to fold 'em,
Know when to walk away and know when to run.
You never count your money when you're sittin' at the table.
There'll be time enough for countin' when the dealin's done.

RoanokeFan
01-14-2013, 03:22 PM
You got to know when to hold 'em, know when to fold 'em,
Know when to walk away and know when to run.
You never count your money when you're sittin' at the table.
There'll be time enough for countin' when the dealin's done.

I could make a song out of that.

giantsfan420
01-14-2013, 03:25 PM
bradshaw as the 3rd down back is about as good a back u can get for that role. he looked nasty, NASTY vs Philly used as the change of pace/3rd down back. He also had some dominant games as well. i'd ask him to take a 1mil paycut per year, use him like we used him vs Philly, and start Wilson.

MattyD21
01-14-2013, 03:29 PM
I dont know if anybody else saw that recap of the 07 team but a bunch of clips of AB running real hard and fast that was the old him. How many times did he break runs this year only to get caught up to 10-15 yards later. Also TC doesnt like that fact that his #1 back doesnt practice pretty much at all.

B-Red22
01-14-2013, 03:30 PM
I think Scott and Lumpkin could round out the backfield.

This, people are forgetting about Scott

RoanokeFan
01-14-2013, 03:32 PM
This, people are forgetting about Scott

I'm thinking we don't need to watse a draft pick unless BPA surfaces.

Cloud57
01-14-2013, 03:40 PM
I'll role with Wilson & Brown.. maybe draft another back in the later rounds.+1

nycisgreat
01-14-2013, 03:46 PM
I say dump him. I would dump him because I don't think he can physically handle the load anymore. He was been injury prone for the past three years. At this point, I think he would be better suited in a tandem role. If we keep him around, I would like to see him at the 3rd string RB.

ELI_HOF_NYG
01-14-2013, 03:54 PM
I could make a song out of that.

lol,,,it's the first thing that came to mind,,,this is a tough one.

shane4177
01-14-2013, 04:12 PM
lol,,,it's the first thing that came to mind,,,this is a tough one.

Ah its Kenny Rogers, The Gambler I believe.....

myles2424
01-14-2013, 04:14 PM
This is a tough one..

It is tough, but id bet on him being gone...mainly because our cap situation...but add in the injuries & the promising brown/wilson combine on deck and id say its % 99 sure, imo....
That being said, bradshaw is my favorite Giant...hes the toughest guy on the team & one of few guys that play with the heart of a lion, week in & week out...

Morehead State
01-14-2013, 04:15 PM
Given the cap, given his health problems, its probably going to be the decision of the FA to break ties with AB.
I would agree with them if that's their decision. But he will be missed.

RoanokeFan
01-14-2013, 04:20 PM
Given the cap, given his health problems, its probably going to be the decision of the FA to break ties with AB.
I would agree with them if that's their decision. But he will be missed.

He will be missed for sure.

Morehead State
01-14-2013, 04:27 PM
He will be missed for sure.
He won't be the only vet to be off the team.
A lot of guys are going to face either being cut straight out, or take a pay cut or be cut.
I wouldn't be surprised if Tuck, Webby, DD, Baas, Boley, etc.... are part of at least one of those groups.

nhpgiantsfan
01-14-2013, 04:35 PM
Guys, we're talking about Tom Coughlin here. There is no way he is starting the season without a veteran back on his roster. I am not saying AB will be the starter, but I'm pretty sure he will be here. Maybe in more of a role like Jacobs had his last two years here.

Morehead State
01-14-2013, 04:40 PM
Guys, we're talking about Tom Coughlin here. There is no way he is starting the season without a veteran back on his roster. I am not saying AB will be the starter, but I'm pretty sure he will be here. Maybe in more of a role like Jacobs had his last two years here.
I just don't think so, at least not unless he takes a big time pay cut.

Buddy333
01-14-2013, 05:15 PM
Hope they can keep him. Would be nice if the entire team played with his heart.

Ruttiger711
01-14-2013, 05:23 PM
Huge Bradshaw fan and supporter here, but I dont see how hes back without accepting a sizeable reduction. 27 is still so young for a RB but his feet are near retirement age.

He tried the free market last year and he didnt get the offers he was thinking (closest suiter was Miami i think) .. with his documented injury history I doubt someone would pick him up for what he's due from the Giants next year, but someone may pick him up for more than what the Giants can pay him next year.

BOOOOOO... will have to retire my 27 and 44 jerseys in respective years.

PennState1
01-14-2013, 05:25 PM
Guys, if we are serious about a playoff run next year, we have to not only assume but actually plan that one of our two starting backs will suffer an injury. Having said that, do you keep Bradshaw as insurance in case Wilson or Brown goes down?

Ruttiger711
01-14-2013, 05:32 PM
Guys, if we are serious about a playoff run next year, we have to not only assume but actually plan that one of our two starting backs will suffer an injury. Having said that, do you keep Bradshaw as insurance in case Wilson or Brown goes down?

Definitely - but if his role's going to be insurance he cant be the highest paid of the 3.

ELI_HOF_NYG
01-14-2013, 05:36 PM
Definitely - but if his role's going to be insurance he cant be the highest paid of the 3.

I really hate this part of the game. bradshaw has been a good player for us for a while now. I wish him the best,,stay or go.

PennState1
01-14-2013, 05:39 PM
Definitely - but if his role's going to be insurance he cant be the highest paid of the 3.Agreed

Carter.525
01-14-2013, 05:40 PM
I'm sure Bradshaw will want to start, might not happen here in NY.. FREE WILSON..!!

TheBookOfEli
01-14-2013, 05:41 PM
Ahmad, thank you for your services but it's time to move on from you.

http://d2tq98mqfjyz2l.cloudfront.net/image_cache/1313250529949824.gif

Cloud57
01-14-2013, 05:50 PM
Ahmad, thank you for your services but it's time to move on from you.

http://d2tq98mqfjyz2l.cloudfront.net/image_cache/1313250529949824.giflol we need to draft a RB (late rounds) though since Brown can't stay healthy

wuzpapn
01-14-2013, 05:51 PM
AB and Nicks killed us this year with this whole practicing one day a week thing, and then planning to execute on Sundays.

If Andre Brown comes back healthy in time for the next season, I say stick with him and Wilson. Bradshaw is ailing on us, and don't like the way he holds up.

joemorrisforprez
01-14-2013, 06:14 PM
I'd love it if the salary cap numbers could be worked out so they can keep him.

However, I think Killdrive has a Bradshaw obsession that hurt the running game this year.

I could go either way on this.

thomasjmarino
01-14-2013, 06:19 PM

Eddie Lacy

TopleyBird
01-14-2013, 06:24 PM
Keep. Nobody on this team plays with more heart than this man

Fan For 45 yrs
01-14-2013, 06:40 PM
This seems a bit harsh //// Last year we missed Jacobs fire and passion/ Bradshaw is one of the few that show it/ I say keep him and pay him less

CDN_G-FAN
01-14-2013, 06:48 PM
no one was questioning the fact that a year ago (when we had the worst running game in the NFL, not entirely because of RB, still......) we were paying our starting RBs $10 mill in total.

now we're looking at Bradshaw's $3.75 mill and wondering if that's too much.

i don't see this decision as too intriguing. we know exactly what we have in bradshaw, and if we can lower his touches, we can probably extend his career and improve his effectiveness.

we have much bigger fish to fry than Bradshaw's $3.75 a year.

Carter.525
01-14-2013, 06:51 PM
Eddie Lacy

Lacy will probally go early 2nd.. pass

RoanokeFan
01-14-2013, 06:54 PM
He won't be the only vet to be off the team.
A lot of guys are going to face either being cut straight out, or take a pay cut or be cut.
I wouldn't be surprised if Tuck, Webby, DD, Baas, Boley, etc.... are part of at least one of those groups.

The hardest one for TC will be Diehl I'd imagine

joemorrisforprez
01-14-2013, 07:24 PM
AB and Nicks killed us this year with this whole practicing one day a week thing, and then planning to execute on Sundays.

If Andre Brown comes back healthy in time for the next season, I say stick with him and Wilson. Bradshaw is ailing on us, and don't like the way he holds up.

I blame the coaching staff more than AB or Nicks for that situation.

Next year, some positions - including RB - need to be wide open to competition. Bradshaw, Brown, and Wilson should all be given a fair chance to be the main guy. And if Bradshaw is once again riding around on a rascal, instead of practicing, then he doesn't deserve to annointed the starter.

I think the same process should be applied on defense.....Tuck has been great for us in the past, but this season was a massive letdown.

RoanokeFan
01-14-2013, 07:26 PM
I'd love it if the salary cap numbers could be worked out so they can keep him.

However, I think Killdrive has a Bradshaw obsession that hurt the running game this year.

I could go either way on this.

How much pull do Gilbride or Fewell have in player retention?

Ruttiger711
01-14-2013, 07:46 PM
no one was questioning the fact that a year ago (when we had the worst running game in the NFL, not entirely because of RB, still......) we were paying our starting RBs $10 mill in total.now we're looking at Bradshaw's $3.75 mill and wondering if that's too much.i don't see this decision as too intriguing. we know exactly what we have in bradshaw, and if we can lower his touches, we can probably extend his career and improve his effectiveness.we have much bigger fish to fry than Bradshaw's $3.75 a year.I don't think the discussion is really happening if its just the $3.75 - his cap hit is over $6mil for next year.

joemorrisforprez
01-14-2013, 08:15 PM

They have as much say in that as Reese has in who gets to start and play on a weekly basis.

thomasjmarino
01-14-2013, 08:16 PM

Please tell me not much. :confused:

RoanokeFan
01-14-2013, 08:37 PM
They have as much say in that as Reese has in who gets to start and play on a weekly basis.

I don't think Reese has a lot to say about who plays week in and week out other than discussing the injiury list with TC and Mara. That's why we have and a Head Coach and a GM instead of one who does both.

berya
01-14-2013, 08:55 PM
I don't see how Bradshaw is not on the team next year. You mean to tell me Coughlin will cut loose Bradshaw and go with Wilson, Brown, Scott, whoever... Brown can't stay on the field and has only played a few games to judge him on anyway, and Scott who? What has Scott done. Nothing.

RoanokeFan
01-14-2013, 08:59 PM
I don't see how Bradshaw is not on the team next year. You mean to tell me Coughlin will cut loose Bradshaw and go with Wilson, Brown, Scott, whoever... Brown can't stay on the field and has only played a few games to judge him on anyway, and Scott who? What has Scott done. Nothing.

He may be on the team but not likely as the feature back but in a reduced role with a reduced salary package

AllHailEli
01-14-2013, 11:08 PM
How bad is his foot injury? Can he come back healthy next season? The guy still had over 1000 yards while playing hurt and missing some games.

gfd_2
01-14-2013, 11:42 PM
sucks because he's got heart and can fire things up; however, because his feet will NOT get better which will lead to reduced playing time what would that offer us in the event one of the other backs went down? Would he be able to start and run 20/ 30 times a game? What does he offering us? Time to cut the cord.

GTGiantsFan
01-15-2013, 12:51 AM
Dump.

joemorrisforprez
01-15-2013, 01:51 AM
I don't think Reese has a lot to say about who plays week in and week out other than discussing the injiury list with TC and Mara. That's why we have and a Head Coach and a GM instead of one who does both.

I agree. My point is that Gilbride leaned far too much on Bradshaw again.

In a perfect world, Bradshaw stays a Giant, but has a dramatically reduced workload, so he can stay healthy and be able to contribute when needed.

But if Gilbride is going to run him into the ground again, forget it.....best for Reese to find another running back.

giantsfan420
01-15-2013, 03:03 AM
sucks because he's got heart and can fire things up; however, because his feet will NOT get better which will lead to reduced playing time what would that offer us in the event one of the other backs went down? Would he be able to start and run 20/ 30 times a game? What does he offering us? Time to cut the cord.if he doesnt get 30 carries a game, and is used as a 3rd down back/rotation back behind Wilson, and even Brown maybe, Bradshaw could def. give us quality starts if need be. he gave us, what, 5-6 quality starts this year? i think that should be what we expect to get out of him next year, a meaningful impact on half a dozen games or so and being a spell back/3rd down back

flashnando
01-15-2013, 10:24 AM
I can see both sides of this argument. Personally, I don't think he can carry the load as he has. His feet aren't going to get better but he could play a key reduced role. In order for that to happen, it's very likely Reese will ask for a pay cut. Is he willing to take the pay cut? Could he ask to be released hoping to have a more prominent role elsewhere?

I think if he goes back to the role he had in 2007 he would be effective. Coming in as a change of pace RB would benefit him and the team, plus I think Wilson can handle a share load.

RoanokeFan
01-15-2013, 10:38 AM
I agree. My point is that Gilbride leaned far too much on Bradshaw again.

In a perfect world, Bradshaw stays a Giant, but has a dramatically reduced workload, so he can stay healthy and be able to contribute when needed.

But if Gilbride is going to run him into the ground again, forget it.....best for Reese to find another running back.

I know this isn't popular, but Wilson wasn't ready to carry the load. Brown did a very good job until he broke his leg. Many point to the game where Bradshaw had a knee brace on to exclaim he sucked in pass protection. But for the entire season to that point he was ranked # 1 RB in the NFL in pass protection. Wilson clearly was not a replacement for Bradshaw in that regard in 2012. He's taken more snaps and, with Brown, I see them as the future tandem we need to be successful in the running game.

I love Bradshaw's passion and think he has a role here as the third RB but not for the salary he's scheduled to make in 2013. His feet just can't withstand the rigors of a feature back.

We have decent depth at RB with Scott and Lumpkin so I hope we focus on the Oline in the draft and even FA for a short term solution.

river555
01-15-2013, 10:38 AM
I say we keep him. Considering we used a first round pick on RB this year, Wilson will most likely be the starting RB. But we still need a reliable good #2 RB who can still carry they bal 10-12 times a game and play on 3rd downs. Bradshaw could still be an extremely valuable player. 'm not sold on Brown. In 3+ NFL seasons he has had 2 good games.

RoanokeFan
01-15-2013, 11:39 AM
How bad is his foot injury? Can he come back healthy next season? The guy still had over 1000 yards while playing hurt and missing some games.

He has had issues with his feet and ankles since playing at Marshall. When you can't practice with the team more than one day a week, you become a liability. Wilson and Brown should be able to provide a tandem we can work with. Bradshaw could factor in as the 3rd back if he's willing to take a significant pay cut. Otherwise we have Scott, Torain, and Lumpkin to compete.

MattyD21
01-15-2013, 01:14 PM
As long as that pricetag stays the way it is , their is no way he stays. Their is a ton of free agent RB's as well

Carter.525
01-15-2013, 01:25 PM
need a big back to go with Wilson.. Hillis anyone..?

JJC7301
01-15-2013, 01:39 PM
Absolutely keep. $3.75M is not a lot for a RB with 1,000 yards. Not AB's fault that the coaches didn't use Brown more, and rest AB, while Brown was still healthy.

And besides that he's good at protecting Eli, he's also got a set of cajones and a lot of drive -- which is what this team really seems to lack. The guy's a gamer.

Ruttiger711
01-15-2013, 01:43 PM
Absolutely keep. $3.75M is not a lot for a RB with 1,000 yards. Not AB's fault that the coaches didn't use Brown more, and rest AB, while Brown was still healthy.And besides that he's good at protecting Eli, he's also got a set of cajones and a lot of drive -- which is what this team really seems to lack. The guy's a gamer.Agreed but his cap hit is $6.25 mil - it puts a slightly different perspective on it

joemorrisforprez
01-15-2013, 01:43 PM
I know this isn't popular, but Wilson wasn't ready to carry the load. Brown did a very good job until he broke his leg. Many point to the game where Bradshaw had a knee brace on to exclaim he sucked in pass protection. But for the entire season to that point he was ranked # 1 RB in the NFL in pass protection. Wilson clearly was not a replacement for Bradshaw in that regard in 2012. He's taken more snaps and, with Brown, I see them as the future tandem we need to be successful in the running game.

I love Bradshaw's passion and think he has a role here as the third RB but not for the salary he's scheduled to make in 2013. His feet just can't withstand the rigors of a feature back.

We have decent depth at RB with Scott and Lumpkin so I hope we focus on the Oline in the draft and even FA for a short term solution.

I understand some people aren't going to agree on how much playing time Wilson received in 2012.

Myself, I completely understand how people felt Wilson was a liability in the passing game due to his inexperience in pass protection. My response to that breaks down like this:

1) I'd rather play a healthy RB (Wilson) than an injured one (Bradshaw)

2) It's up to the OC to scheme to player's strengths and minimize exposure to their weaknesses; I fault Gilbride for failing to do that more often with Wilson. For example, as one poster pointed out a while back, in passing situations, Wilson could have have been motioned out to flanker, forcing a would-be blitzer into covering him. Instead, Gilbride showed no adjustments post-Bradshaw, and the defense was granted a situational advantage.

3) Wilson was often the most dynamic player on the field (e.g., Saints game).

4) Some of the best backs in the NFL are not very strong pass-blockers......Adrian Peterson, LeSean McCoy, Ray Rice, and Chris Johnson, for example. The argument that a running back must excel as a pass blocker is more a product of Gilbride's system than an NFL maxim.....and as noted in #2, that could and should have been adjusted based on the cold hard facts: our best pass-protecting runningback was not ready to go.

I realize this ground has been covered before, and again, I respect the opinion of those that might disagree with me.

As for Bradshaw, I'd love to see him as a Giant in 2013, but not with his current price tag, and not as the annointed #1 runningback. If he can stay healthy and win the job back in a fair preseason competition, that's one thing.

But in 2012, Bradshaw was injured, barely practiced, and Gilbride refused to adjust his gameplan.....I really hope that is something the Reese, Coughlin, and his staff evaluate in the offseason....I'm sure they will.

yo-ho
01-15-2013, 02:15 PM
We have to stop keeping players beyond their prime. Bradshaw is worn down by injury, plus he is no good as a receiver out of the backfield, and too often doesn't follow his blocking. Throw in his salary and it's a no brainer.

They should move Kiwi back to DE and let Tuck and Osi go as well. JPP, Kiwi, and that kid Ojomo would make a good DE rotation.

Diehl, Webster, Philips, should be history as well.

NJAquaman
01-16-2013, 06:25 PM
Eddie Lacy

Yes...Yes and YES!