PDA

View Full Version : Ramses Barden Would "Love" To Sign With Giants

RoanokeFan
01-15-2013, 10:07 AM
http://www.giants101.com/2013/01/15/ramses-barden-would-love-to-re-sign-with-the-new-york-giants/

Excerpt: "To say that Ramses Barden (http://www.giants101.com/tag/ramses-barden/)'s four-year NFL (http://www.giants101.com/tag/nfl/) career has been a disappointment thus far would be a bit of an understatement. The 6'6'' wide receiver out of Cal Poly joined the New York (http://www.giants101.com/tag/new-york/) Giants in 2009 as a third-round pick and many dubbed him "the next Plaxico Burress" – a huge and dangerous redzone target. Those expectations have never been lived up to.

In 29 games, Barden has hauled in only 29 receptions for 394 yards and has a grand total of zero touchdowns. His best game, which accounted for most of those numbers, came in week three against the Carolina Panthers when injuries forced him into the start role. In a 36-7 victory, Barden caught nine passes for 138 yards. It was the first and only glimpse Giants fans ever got of his potential … but then he vanished back to the bench.

Soon to be an unrestricted free agents, Barden's time in New York (http://www.giants101.com/tag/new-york/) is likely up. With Hakeem Nicks (http://www.giants101.com/tag/hakeem-nicks/), Victor Cruz (http://www.giants101.com/tag/victor-cruz/) (RFA), Rueben Randle (http://www.giants101.com/tag/rueben-randle/) and Jerrel Jernigan all likely to be back next season, and Domenik Hixon (http://www.giants101.com/tag/domenik-hixon/) also likely to receive a new contract, there's little room left for Barden. Unless, of course, General Manager Jerry Reese (http://www.giants101.com/tag/jerry-reese/) and head coach Tom Coughlin (http://www.giants101.com/tag/tom-coughlin/) feel he's still the right man for the #5 or #6 spot." Read more...

Rudyy
01-15-2013, 10:22 AM
No

JJC7301
01-15-2013, 10:28 AM
I'd take him back for one more year at a reasonable contract. He could definitely, along with Hixon, be very servicable # 4 WR's (assuming that RR will be the # 3 next year).

RoanokeFan
01-15-2013, 10:34 AM
I'd take him back for one more year at a reasonable contract. He could definitely, along with Hixon, be very servicable # 4 WR's (assuming that RR will be the # 3 next year).

Barden needs to be released. He's never been able to prevent younger players from climbing over him in rotation. Jernigan will be next

Giant stuck in Texas
01-15-2013, 10:39 AM
I still don't understand the whole coming out party he had against Carolina only to disappear into the abyss for the rest of the season thing.

RoanokeFan
01-15-2013, 10:41 AM
I still don't understand the whole coming out party he had against Carolina only to disappear into the abyss for the rest of the season thing.

One game in four years doesn't help the resume. I see him as Sinorice Moss II

PBTimmons
01-15-2013, 10:42 AM
I would think it makes sense to bring him back in since he has shown the capability to be productive.

BUT

I've always gotten the feeling the reason we aren't seeing much of Barden is because he doesn't "show up" for practice, or generally shows apathy when it comes to being a "Pro" in the NFL. There must be a reason because he has talent.

Roosevelt
01-15-2013, 10:44 AM
He looked pretty brilliant against the Panthers and yet KG never uses him.

Giant stuck in Texas
01-15-2013, 10:52 AM
One game in four years doesn't help the resume. I see him as Sinorice Moss IINo, I get that and I'm not trying to make an argument on why he should stay. I just don't understand how he didn't see the field again after a game like that.

giantsfan420
01-15-2013, 10:59 AM
i thought he looked pretty awesome vs carolina. and i also have noticed some pretty amazing catches in traffic even going back to 2011.

i have a feeling that if we dont resign him, teams will be interested in him...and who knows, maybe hes more of that wr vs carolina than we all thought.

Toadofsteel
01-15-2013, 11:00 AM
Barden the Terrible, ladies and gentlemen...

Though, to be fair, he'd probably be more productive on a team with less of the read-option routes in its offense...

BigBlue1971
01-15-2013, 11:13 AM
Barden is hoping for a job!

the Giants could sign him for the veteran minimum but the question is do the Giants want him at all?!

i dont think so cuz he hasnt done anything so far.

i say let him go so JJ and Randle can develop!

a side note: i think JJ will emerge and impress in 13!

TCHOF
01-15-2013, 11:18 AM
Why not if he signs a cheap deal?

GameTime
01-15-2013, 11:28 AM
of course he would. what other team woudl sign him???

TroyArcher
01-15-2013, 11:33 AM
He should be happy if anyone signs him.

P_Simms_#11
01-15-2013, 11:34 AM
He needs to be re-signed because he is 6' 6", and that makes him a great receiver.

Blackula31
01-15-2013, 11:47 AM
He will go someplace else and thrive... Im pretty sure of it.

GameTime
01-15-2013, 11:49 AM

why?....you think the Giants dont play him because he is great and they just dont like him???
the guy just isnt that good of an NFL WR. He has been in the league 4 years now....

RoanokeFan
01-15-2013, 11:53 AM
No, I get that and I'm not trying to make an argument on why he should stay. I just don't understand how he didn't see the field again after a game like that.

He's just not better than the player in front of him, now to include Randle

RoanokeFan
01-15-2013, 11:53 AM

That's what some said about Sinorice when we finally let him go.

Ruttiger711
01-15-2013, 12:01 PM
In Carolina he was pretty much unaccounted for and benefitted greatly. The next week in Philly he was covered and did what you can really expect from him - max 2 catches a game.

RoanokeFan
01-15-2013, 12:04 PM
He needs to be re-signed because he is 6' 6", and that makes him a great receiver.

I've been waiting for this all morning, thanks :rolleyes:

Blackula31
01-15-2013, 12:06 PM
That's what some said about Sinorice when we finally let him go. Sinorice just plain and simple wasnt good... did he ever do ANYTHING??? Nope... Someone is going to take a chance on him... I dont expect him to become the greatest receiver ever... but he will be better than most of you think.. I think he'll be like Ed McCaffrey. Didnt do a damn thing for the Giants... but will work out well with someone else.

radar-ray
01-15-2013, 12:08 PM
Sinorice just plain and simple wasnt good... did he ever do ANYTHING??? Nope... Someone is going to take a chance on him... I dont expect him to become the greatest receiver ever... but he will be better than most of you think.. I think he'll be like Ed McCaffrey. Didnt do a damn thing for the Giants... but will work out well with someone else. Agree.

RoanokeFan
01-15-2013, 12:09 PM
Sinorice just plain and simple wasnt good... did he ever do ANYTHING??? Nope... Someone is going to take a chance on him... I dont expect him to become the greatest receiver ever... but he will be better than most of you think.. I think he'll be like Ed McCaffrey. Didnt do a damn thing for the Giants... but will work out well with someone else.

Or he's not as good as you think. Reese said of Moss "He catches everything thrown to him." That didn't make hm effective on the field in games. He is what his numbers say he is, not very good.

RECEIVING

Year
Team
G
Rec
Yds
Avg
Yds/G
Lng
TD
20+
40+
1st
FUM

New York Giants (http://www.nfl.com/teams/newyorkgiants/profile?team=NYG)

TOTAL

In 2102 he had 9 catches for 138 yards in one game against the Panthers

P_Simms_#11
01-15-2013, 12:10 PM
I've been waiting for this all morning, thanks :rolleyes:

No problem. :)

RoanokeFan
01-15-2013, 12:14 PM
No problem. :)

He's tall = beast lol

Rudyy
01-15-2013, 12:18 PM
He's not going to do anything in our offense. We have Nicks, Cruz, and Randle. There is no room for him here.

P_Simms_#11
01-15-2013, 12:20 PM
He's tall = beast lol

Definitely. And he is an inch taller than Plaxico!. What more proof do people need of his greatness? ;)

Blackula31
01-15-2013, 12:20 PM
Or he's not as good as you think. Reese said of Moss "He catches everything thrown to him." That didn't make hm effective on the field in games. He is what his numbers say he is, not very good.

Moss was 5'8" and couldnt shake anyone to get open... the sad thing is that Barden was never really used in the redzone like most of us thought he would. They never tried with him... someone else will at least try. I agree there is defenitely something wrong with him... but I'm willing to bet there is another coach that can get him on track somewhere. Our WR coach is Kevin Gilbride Jr... Im sure there is someone out there that actually played WR that could truly help him.

Carter.525
01-15-2013, 12:23 PM
no room for Barden.. He dosent even play special teams.. bye bye

Blackula31
01-15-2013, 12:28 PM
no room for Barden.. He dosent even play special teams.. bye bye Agreed... he doesnt belong in our system... but he will be ok somewhere else.

Giant stuck in Texas
01-15-2013, 12:33 PM
In Carolina he was pretty much unaccounted for and benefitted greatly. The next week in Philly he was covered and did what you can really expect from him - max 2 catches a game.

Now this makes perfect sense and I never thought about it that way.

JJC7301
01-15-2013, 12:37 PM
One game in four years doesn't help the resume. I see him as Sinorice Moss II
Moss never had a game like Barden did against Carolina. True, it was only one game and Carolina players gave him yards of space to play with, but I would have liked to see Barden get more time at the # 3 than Hixon did.

Point is that Barden showed something impressive that game (and if memory serves me correct he had another good game this year as well). Enough for a one year contract if the price is right.

RoanokeFan
01-15-2013, 12:38 PM
no room for Barden.. He dosent even play special teams.. bye bye

This could be more of an issue for Barden than most would think. It's part of the reason Hixon is well liked by the coaching stafff.

RoanokeFan
01-15-2013, 12:42 PM
Moss never had a game like Barden did against Carolina. True, it was only one game and Carolina players gave him yards of space to play with, but I would have liked to see Barden get more time at the # 3 than Hixon did.

Point is that Barden showed something impressive that game (and if memory serves me correct he had another good game this year as well). Enough for a one year contract if the price is right.

Barden benefited by Cruz being the focus of the Panthers' secondary and, as you point out, they really were playing off him all game long. Hixon missed three games, I think, in 2012. One due to a concussion and two due to an ankle injury. Where was Barden then?

JJC7301
01-15-2013, 12:45 PM
Barden benefited by Cruz being the focus of the Panthers' secondary and, as you point out, they really were playing off him all game long. Hixon missed three games, I think, in 2012. One due to a concussion and two due to an ankle injury. Where was Barden then?
I don't remember -- did they play him and he didn't do anything? Or did they not play him? If the latter, then I would have played him unless RR or JJ were just showing so much more than Barden in practice.

RoanokeFan
01-15-2013, 12:49 PM
I don't remember -- did they play him and he didn't do anything? Or did they not play him? If the latter, then I would have played him unless RR or JJ were just showing so much more than Barden in practice.

I don't know for sure, but I think at this point in time Barden is going to be released. We have a good receiving corps without him and don't need to bring anyone else because of his release.

BigBlue1971
01-15-2013, 01:08 PM

if Barden turns into even a "fair" receiver i'll be surprised!

Barden is big and tall, thats all!

ShakeandBake
01-15-2013, 02:47 PM
Moss was 5'8" and couldnt shake anyone to get open... the sad thing is that Barden was never really used in the redzone like most of us thought he would. They never tried with him... someone else will at least try. I agree there is defenitely something wrong with him... but I'm willing to bet there is another coach that can get him on track somewhere. Our WR coach is Kevin Gilbride Jr... Im sure there is someone out there that actually played WR that could truly help him.

Its too bad we should keep Barden, he has the potential to be the next Anthony Mix

ShakeandBake
01-15-2013, 02:48 PM
In all seriousness, we are better off giving his roster spot to an undrafted free agent even who can play special teams. The guy had one good game during his entire 4 years here with us, bye bye Barden.

CDN_G-FAN
01-15-2013, 03:00 PM
oh, if what to do with Barden was actually one of the most critical decisions facing this team.

instead i have to wonder if we can afford a starting left tackle, if Bear Pascoe is our new starting TE, and what do we do if JPP can't get out of his slump next year.............

giantsforce
01-15-2013, 03:23 PM
Sinorice just plain and simple wasnt good... did he ever do ANYTHING??? Nope... Someone is going to take a chance on him... I dont expect him to become the greatest receiver ever... but he will be better than most of you think.. I think he'll be like Ed McCaffrey. Didnt do a damn thing for the Giants... but will work out well with someone else.I am not sure where you got this "Ed McCaffrey didnt do a damn thing for the Giants" thing. Here is a link so you can see what he did for the Giants http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/M/McCaEd00.htm. Lets not forget that in Denver he had Elway and in NY he had Hostettler and Simms throwing to him and the Giants were not a passing team them and they also had Mark Ingram and Steven Baker as 1 &2 WRs. Not to forget that for 2 seasons was under this "brilliant" coach named Ray Hundley. When you look his numbers you can see that he did very well for a rookie and I was really surprised that Dan Reeves did not see his talent.

Blackula31
01-15-2013, 08:59 PM
I am not sure where you got this "Ed McCaffrey didnt do a damn thing for the Giants" thing. Here is a link so you can see what he did for the Giants http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/M/McCaEd00.htm. Lets not forget that in Denver he had Elway and in NY he had Hostettler and Simms throwing to him and the Giants were not a passing team them and they also had Mark Ingram and Steven Baker as 1 &2 WRs. Not to forget that for 2 seasons was under this "brilliant" coach named Ray Hundley. When you look his numbers you can see that he did very well for a rookie and I was really surprised that Dan Reeves did not see his talent.

Games started with Giants = 4

Games started with Broncos = 105

hmmm... WTF am I missing?

Elway retired after the 99 Season... McCaffery's biggest year was after Elway was gone...

B&RWarrior
01-15-2013, 09:19 PM
I know this is a Barden thread, but I think his and Jernigan's spots are both up for grabs. Jernigan has showed me absolutely nothing. At least Barden had one good game.

nycisgreat
01-15-2013, 09:20 PM
Barden needs to be released. He's never been able to prevent younger players from climbing over him in rotation. Jernigan will be next

I disagree. If we can get him on the cheap, then I would take him back.

dakotajoe
01-15-2013, 10:04 PM

Agreed, I wouldn't mind him back. He's not a spectacular receiver but when we used him he produced. His height is certainly an advantage and could be used to exploit certain situations.

His production declined after a stellar game against Carolina because Hixon returned. Hixon didn't play against Carolina but he did the next week against the Eagles where he got 11 targets.

I feel like we could have used him in the redzone this year. He showed that he could elevate against Carolina and catch the ball very high. Instead the majority of the fades were thrown to Nicks when he could barely jump...Needless to say Tynes was our MVP for at least portion of the season.

CruznNicks
01-15-2013, 10:12 PM
I'd keep Barden and move him to TE. He's 6'6 227. Have him gain 20 pounds with some muscle and he'll be a mismatch for defenses. Aaron Hernandez of the Pats is 6'1 245 pounds. The Pats are successful because they take cast-offs and put them in positions to shine. Before letting Barden walk, try him at TE with 20 pounds added and see what you have. What do you have to lose? Sign him to a non-guarenteed contract and see what you got.

Jppallday
01-15-2013, 10:18 PM
I'd keep Barden and move him to TE. He's 6'6 227. Have him gain 20 pounds with some muscle and he'll be a mismatch for defenses. Aaron Hernandez of the Pats is 6'1 245 pounds. The Pats are successful because they take cast-offs and put them in positions to shine. Before letting Barden walk, try him at TE with 20 pounds added and see what you have. What do you have to lose? Sign him to a non-guarenteed contract and see what you got.

The problem with your analysis is Aaron Hernandez is actually a good receiver, Barden isn't. If you put Hernandez as a receiver he would outperform Barden by a lot

RoanokeFan
01-16-2013, 06:46 AM

Have you watched him try to block?

RoanokeFan
01-16-2013, 06:46 AM

To do what? He's just not that good.

EnragedYouth85
01-16-2013, 06:57 AM
We can find an equally talented WR just as cheap and actually plays special teams. Let him go..

Carter.525
01-16-2013, 07:26 AM
sucks.. I was really excited when NY drafted Barden..... and Beckum :( looking like 2 busts now

RoanokeFan
01-16-2013, 07:27 AM
sucks.. I was really excited when NY drafted Barden..... and Beckum :( looking like 2 busts now

It happens and we move on.

nycsportzfan
01-16-2013, 09:58 AM
I dont' get why he didn't get more playing time, myself.. Hes made some plays for us , but seems to rarley be out there, and the carolina game meant nothing, becuase he barley seen the field after that.. He made a nice downfield catch against the eagles the following week, and that was basically it?

jomo
01-16-2013, 10:03 AM
Of course he'd love to sign with the Giants. They are the ones who overlooked the fact that he was too soft to contribute on special teams and too soft to use that huge frame to his advantage in the passing game (but he sure is tall).

He showed good hands when he got them on the ball but was muscled around by much smaller corner backs. He played way too small for such a tall guy. We can do better in a backup WR.

jomo
01-16-2013, 10:05 AM
I'd keep Barden and move him to TE. He's 6'6 227. Have him gain 20 pounds with some muscle and he'll be a mismatch for defenses. Aaron Hernandez of the Pats is 6'1 245 pounds. The Pats are successful because they take cast-offs and put them in positions to shine. Before letting Barden walk, try him at TE with 20 pounds added and see what you have. What do you have to lose? Sign him to a non-guarenteed contract and see what you got.He doesn't have the stones to engage on special teams now. An additional 20 pounds isn't going to turn him into a gnarly TE.

RoanokeFan
01-16-2013, 10:05 AM
Of course he'd love to sign with the Giants. They are the ones who overlooked the fact that he was too soft to contribute on special teams and too soft to use that huge frame to his advantage in the passing game (but he sure is tall).

He showed good hands when he got them on the ball but was muscled around by much smaller corner backs. He played way too small for such a tall guy. We can do better in a backup WR.

In fact, we are doing better :)

Ruttiger711
01-16-2013, 10:06 AM
I dont' get why he didn't get more playing time, myself.. Hes made some plays for us , but seems to rarley be out there, and the carolina game meant nothing, becuase he barley seen the field after that.. He made a nice downfield catch against the eagles the following week, and that was basically it?

He had a couple of catches in the Cinci game too, but I think that was all.

I cant say he "sucks" because you have to actually be on the field to do so. He's not on the field because the coaches felt they had 2 better receivers available for the #3 position in Hixon and Randle and eventually Jernigan.

jomo
01-16-2013, 10:13 AM
He had a couple of catches in the Cinci game too, but I think that was all.

I cant say he "sucks" because you have to actually be on the field to do so. He's not on the field because the coaches felt they had 2 better receivers available for the #3 position in Hixon and Randle and eventually Jernigan.I would agree that "sucks" is a bit strong but if you are going to be a #4 or #5 WR for us you need to be a demon on ST and he is just too soft for that.

TuckandRolle
01-16-2013, 10:24 AM
Ramses, your ship is sailing!

JB456
01-16-2013, 12:15 PM

I don't know if I'm losing it but I don't remember it that way at all. During the Carolina game, I thought he was extremely physical and went up over the defenders to bring down several balls in tight coverage.

RoanokeFan
01-16-2013, 12:21 PM
I don't know if I'm losing it but I don't remember it that way at all. During the Carolina game, I thought he was extremely physical and went up over the defenders to bring down several balls in tight coverage.

If he had tight coverage in the Carolina game, I was watching another game.

giantsfan420
01-16-2013, 03:50 PM
I don't know if I'm losing it but I don't remember it that way at all. During the Carolina game, I thought he was extremely physical and went up over the defenders to bring down several balls in tight coverage.he made a few contested grabs but for the most part he was getting exceptional seperation

shane4177
01-16-2013, 03:53 PM
Please no........lets end the Ramses Barden experiment. He will not, nor will he ever be another Plaxico Burress.