PDA

View Full Version : How Can The Giants Tailor Their Defense To A Changing NFL?

RoanokeFan
01-15-2013, 02:06 PM
http://www.giants101.com/2013/01/15/how-can-new-york-giants-tailor-their-defense-to-a-changing-nfl/

Excerpt: "It is nearly impossible to ignore the presence of mobile quarterbacks in the modern NFL. This past weekend, the nation witnessed incredible performances by Seattle Seahawks QB Russell Wilson and San Francisco 49ers QB Colin Kaepernick. The NFC East itself features the fantastic (though banged up) Robert Griffin III.

Once considered a college exclusive scheme, the read- option has made its way into the NFL. Over what seems like the last seven or eight weeks, outside linebackers, defensive ends, and safeties have had their world turned upside down. Suddenly they have a whole separate area of the field to defend.
The New York (http://www.giants101.com/tag/new-york/) Giants have been victimized by the mobile quarterback for years. So it begs the question: how can the Giants need to tailor their defensive scheme to address these fleet footed quarterbacks?

Improve the Interior

The ability to contain a mobile quarterback is heavily predicated on winning the battle up front on defense, particularly in the middle.

The most overlooked aspect of the Giants failures in 2012 was the lack of interior pressure. Linval Joseph (http://www.giants101.com/tag/linval-joseph/) showed some promise in spots, but Chris Canty (http://www.giants101.com/tag/chris-canty/) was a non-factor too often. Behind the two of them, there was not a whole lot of production.

Rocky Bernard (http://www.giants101.com/tag/rocky-bernard/) had a bit of a renaissance in 2011 but age caught up with him in 2012. Marvin Austin has not shown enough promise to even be on the roster on opening day next season, barring an other-worldly preseason.

Too often the Giants played Justin Tuck (http://www.giants101.com/tag/justin-tuck/) and Jason Pierre-Paul (http://www.giants101.com/tag/jason-pierre-paul/) on the interior and opponents took advantage in the run game. This also could have been a contributing factor to the wear and tear on the two ends. It is time for the Giants to consider keeping Tuck and Pierre-Paul on the outside more often while rotating the stout Mathias Kiwanuka in with them to give them a blow during games.

On the interior, look for the Giants in investigate in a defensive tackle during free agency. One name to keep an eye on may be Richard Seymour. Donít forget, the Giants added Shaun Rodgers last offseason. They wonít be scared off by age.

The Oakland Raiders are not likely to bring back the 33-year-old, but he is still one of the most scheme diverse defensive linemen in the NFL. That is something the Giants value highly.

Oakland also has another pending free agent by the name of Desmond Bryant, who achieved the highest rating of any (https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2013/01/01/free-agent-defensive-interior/) interior defender according to Pro Football (http://www.giants101.com/tag/football/) Focus (a +16.5 on 645 snaps). Bryant was a better pass rusher than run stopper, but the Giants could use some of that as well.

The Giants would also like to inject some youth here by way of the draft. At the absolute latest, The Giants will add another body here by the third round of the draft." Read more...

Cool Papa B.
01-15-2013, 02:15 PM
They need speedy, more athletic LB's. Jaquain Williams and Rivers will have to have bounce back years.

And of course you need to keep developing and drafting speedy DE's.

PennState1
01-15-2013, 02:22 PM
Between Wilfork, a really promising young LB corp and the addition of a free agent shut down CB, the pats have gone from one of the worst defenses in the league to a stout unit heading to the Superbowl again. The signing if Talib was HUGE. We really miss Coefield and need to improve in the middle to take advantage of the talent we have on the outside. It's a shame that Alford went down as he was looking so promising and would be maturing right about now. Our Gmen need to find a nasty big body who can push the center of the line and move the QB off his spot in the pocket. Our sack count will explode and we will disrupt opponents running game. Our play in the middle was absent this season.This is why the Ravens brought in Cody from Alabama. He is green but watch what he does over the next 3-5 years.

wrek537emc
01-15-2013, 03:42 PM
I think it was the Seahawks v Skins game, both teams kept constant pressure on the opposin QB by having a quicker guy, capable of running them down.

CDN_G-FAN
01-15-2013, 03:50 PM
interesting article, and excellent point.

everyone thinks that you need speedy front seven players, but if you think about it, your LBers or DEs will never be as fast as the players they're trying to cover and the nature of the option provides those faster players a head start on every play.

but if your interior linemen are getting consistent penetration, the advantage of this read option offense gets cloudy and its effectiveness can be called into question.

that's true for probably every system in the league other than washington's where their zone blocking scheme adds a whole new wrinkle to party.

sheepdip
01-16-2013, 08:40 AM
Man I have been saying this for days DT DT DT DT DT. How many times have we been gashed up the middle ?? Pitts game, Skins games, a lot of other games too. Still thou I would have loved to see RG3 healthy vs a 49ers LB corps to see how he would do on the edges.

embeshAtYa
01-16-2013, 10:12 AM
EXACTLY!!!! Got to be able to rely on the front four to win battle. Absolutely painfull to watch opposing rbs just jog through the middle of our defense... No doubt about it we need change in the middle. Not sure about Rodgers. I say stiff kick to the rear

Redeyejedi
01-16-2013, 11:30 AM
While i agree another DT is a need I dont think the Giants will throw the towel in on Austin yet. I think they give him 1 more year before going with a high pick unless someone to good to be true falls right in there lap. Its not like the Giants havent spent resources inside. The most ignored spot on the roster has been DE.

Toadofsteel
01-16-2013, 11:44 AM
While i agree another DT is a need I dont think the Giants will throw the towel in on Austin yet. I think they give him 1 more year before going with a high pick unless someone to good to be true falls right in there lap. Its not like the Giants havent spent resources inside. The most ignored spot on the roster has been DE.

We spent a 1st rounder on JPP not too long ago... OL is by far the most ignored unit on the roster.

Rudyy
01-16-2013, 11:51 AM
We spent a 1st rounder on JPP not too long ago... OL is by far the most ignored unit on the roster.JPP is one person. Tuck is done, Osi is gone. Canty was so so last year. Our LBers are to no use and we are thin at CB. Oline is a must but they were not as bad as the dline.

JesseJames
01-16-2013, 11:55 AM
I think we just need to get more talented players on defense, if you have weaknesses you won't be able to hide them because DC are too smart and will attack that spot.. Good players at all positions is better than having weak ones sprinkled with a few stars..

Toadofsteel
01-16-2013, 12:03 PM
JPP is one person. Tuck is done, Osi is gone. Canty was so so last year. Our LBers are to no use and we are thin at CB. Oline is a must but they were not as bad as the dline.

I still think Ojomo will have a coming out party, plus Kiwi will be more full-time DL than LB. As for LB, the main issue is staying healthy and picking up decent depth more than superstars... Rivers and Williams are both solid when healthy, and will need some conditioning training done to help with the injury bug, but definitely bolster our OLB positions when they're on the field (which is why I say more need of depth for when they're not). CB could use some help in FA, but I think Prince/Hosley will work out better than having Corey "Instant Completion" Webster back there all the time. And I think Hosley will improve over time, by the Baltimore game they were targeting Webster over Hosley.

bigblue58
01-16-2013, 12:36 PM
The Giants will be another season behind the NFL curve because our Defensive draft picks are not making the imediate impact in the NFL that opposing Offensive draft picks are making!
Add to that the Giants cap problem, their business model of not going after big time FA's (even if they had the money and cap space) and you're looking at another season of the Defense giving up big plays, not holding any leads of any size and not being able to get off the field.
And the Offense, that will always be able to put up points with Eli and company is looking at an aging underperforming OL that frankly, can't wait for draft picks to develop....which means that the Giants Offense may be compromised for next season.
Building through the draft has it's benefits.....until you end up in the Giants predicament of needing to revamp the OL in the same year that they will be picking players from one of the weakest draft classes in recent memory!
We have Defensive draft picks from last year and before that who havent lived up to their hype, and here we are needing new blood on the OL!
I'm not too confident with the "lets cross our fingers and hope one of these draft picks pans out" method of reinforcing our team.
Unless there's another LT entering this years draft that nobody notices, the Giants may have reached a point in time where "behind the curve" is their permanent location.
The Giants have GOT to change their thinking, find some damned money SOMEWHERE and get an established Defensive FA in here to make an IMMEDIATE impact either as a pass rushing DL or big timey LB or DB. Can't keep crossing our fingers every year hoping Prince, or Williams will finally live up to what they were supposed to be., and we sure as hell can't get a bunch of green draftees to protect our franchise QB!

Ruttiger711
01-16-2013, 12:38 PM
We spent a 1st rounder on JPP not too long ago... OL is by far the most ignored unit on the roster.

Amen. Its not as though it has to be built from scratch, BUT Snee needs repair Baas is probably not the answer at center and Diehl... well his time's up.

The need to draft with long term goals in mind for the Oline.

Rudyy
01-16-2013, 12:54 PM
Well as bad as our offense was at times (and I'm talking bad) Being 31st in defense and giving up career numbers in yardage is a huge problem.

Toadofsteel
01-16-2013, 12:58 PM
Well as bad as our offense was at times (and I'm talking bad) Being 31st in defense and giving up career numbers in yardage is a huge problem.

The problem on our defense was letting Tuck, Osi, and Webster continue to play repeatedly (Diehl on offense too) after they had shown that they effectively were either suffering nagging injuries or just plain didn't care. In some cases it was due to other injuries (Webster playing when Prince or Hosley were injured), but we had the depth at DE, and we also had Kiwi, yet Tuck and Osi continued to see snaps with very little rotation for Tracy and none at all for Ojomo.

This fact has pushed me more into the "fire PF" camp to be completely honest... if we had played the guys that actually cared we may very well be in the playoffs. Benching Tuck or Osi might have lit the fire anew for them, for that matter...

Giantslb66
01-16-2013, 02:26 PM
We need at add speed into our LB corps. Guys that can run down the "new brand" of QBs is crucuial. The guys we have now are too slow and not very athletic. JR has his work cut out for him, BIG TIME.

Rudyy
01-16-2013, 02:46 PM
The problem on our defense was letting Tuck, Osi, and Webster continue to play repeatedly (Diehl on offense too) after they had shown that they effectively were either suffering nagging injuries or just plain didn't care. In some cases it was due to other injuries (Webster playing when Prince or Hosley were injured), but we had the depth at DE, and we also had Kiwi, yet Tuck and Osi continued to see snaps with very little rotation for Tracy and none at all for Ojomo.

This fact has pushed me more into the "fire PF" camp to be completely honest... if we had played the guys that actually cared we may very well be in the playoffs. Benching Tuck or Osi might have lit the fire anew for them, for that matter...Yeah, honestly I think their time is definitely up.
They haven't shown me they have what it takes to play at a high level consistently.

freeoscar
01-16-2013, 04:18 PM
The Giants under Coughlin won't be changing anything. They will just try to improve their existing philosophy, which is to focus on a strong front 4. Because no matter who the QB or what the system, the best defense is to force the QB into making decisions quicker than he is able to. The team that wins in the trenches is the team that wins the game. Thus it has always been and thus it will always be.

jomo
01-16-2013, 04:31 PM
Leadership counts for alot.

JesseJames
01-16-2013, 05:58 PM
The Giants will be another season behind the NFL curve because our Defensive draft picks are not making the imediate impact in the NFL that opposing Offensive draft picks are making!
Add to that the Giants cap problem, their business model of not going after big time FA's (even if they had the money and cap space) and you're looking at another season of the Defense giving up big plays, not holding any leads of any size and not being able to get off the field.
And the Offense, that will always be able to put up points with Eli and company is looking at an aging underperforming OL that frankly, can't wait for draft picks to develop....which means that the Giants Offense may be compromised for next season.
Building through the draft has it's benefits.....until you end up in the Giants predicament of needing to revamp the OL in the same year that they will be picking players from one of the weakest draft classes in recent memory!
We have Defensive draft picks from last year and before that who havent lived up to their hype, and here we are needing new blood on the OL!
I'm not too confident with the "lets cross our fingers and hope one of these draft picks pans out" method of reinforcing our team.
Unless there's another LT entering this years draft that nobody notices, the Giants may have reached a point in time where "behind the curve" is their permanent location.
The Giants have GOT to change their thinking, find some damned money SOMEWHERE and get an established Defensive FA in here to make an IMMEDIATE impact either as a pass rushing DL or big timey LB or DB. Can't keep crossing our fingers every year hoping Prince, or Williams will finally live up to what they were supposed to be., and we sure as hell can't get a bunch of green draftees to protect our franchise QB!

very well said...

jaxnygmen
01-16-2013, 10:09 PM
We need to have more speed and discipline. Containment and staying in your lanes is the key. We need LB's with sideline to sideline who are good tacklers and can shed their blocks. DE's need not to over commit.

GOBLUE24
01-17-2013, 12:02 AM
it like the wildcat! no different! most of these runs are off scrambles! it will last for 4-5 years and we as fans say what happen too... de on giants are not respectful to run and lb are not athletic enough. nfl will respond quickly to these offenses. lets not forget the 49ers drafted many oline guys early? hence why it works there. where else does it work Seatlle? 1 year?

oldsmobile
01-17-2013, 01:26 AM
Get a NEW DEFENSIVE COORDINATOR !!!! Fewell will be a LOST !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!