PDA

View Full Version : NY Giants' Positional Review: Tight Ends

RoanokeFan
01-15-2013, 01:11 PM
http://www.bigblueview.com/2013/1/15/3866680/new-york-giants-tight-end-martellus-bennett-travis-beckum-bear-pascoe-adrien-robinson

Excerpt: "Let's continue our series of positional reviews for the New York Giants (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/teams/new-york-giants) by looking at tight end.

Martellus Bennett (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/players/34521/martellus-bennett) -- In his first year after coming from the Dallas Cowboys (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/teams/dallas-cowboys)as a free agent, Bennett proved what he set out to prove when he left Dallas and the shadow of Jason Witten (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/players/3446/jason-witten). That is that he can be starting-caliber tight end in the NFL. Bennett's 55 receptions were the most by a Giants' tight end since Jeremy Shockey (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/players/2252/jeremy-shockey) had 57 in 2007.

Bear Pascoe (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/players/71444/bear-pascoe) --The blocking tight end played 245 snaps in 2012 and caught only four passes.Travis

Beckum (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/players/71291/travis-beckum) -- Started the year on PUP after injuring his knee in the Super Bowl. Finished the year on IR after the knee acted up again. Played in four games, was targeted once and did not catch a pass.

Adrien Robinson (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/players/155060/adrien-robinson) -- A red-shirt rookie year for the fourth-round pick from Cincinnati. Got in two games, but was inactive most of the season." Read more...

GameTime
01-15-2013, 01:28 PM
I like Bennet but I think he has serious focus issues. Like its an "actual" problem for him
Pascoe.....thought he would be the next Ballard type. Like his blocking but I though he would be a 30-35 reception kind of player.
Hope for the Rookie......
Beckum....why is he still here????

Kruunch
01-15-2013, 01:32 PM
I like Bennet but I think he has serious focus issues. Like its an "actual" problem for him
Pascoe.....thought he would be the next Ballard type. Like his blocking but I though he would be a 30-35 reception kind of player.

What he said.

RoanokeFan
01-15-2013, 01:33 PM

I don't know, at 55 catches he had some focus :)

Carter.525
01-15-2013, 01:59 PM
bring back the Unicorn..

GameTime
01-15-2013, 02:20 PM

yeah...no doubt. But there were several times he looked absolutley lost. Maybe that was on Eli or the fact that it was his first season in the system.
Still a keeper tho....

CDN_G-FAN
01-15-2013, 02:29 PM
number of announces alluded to off the record conversations about bennett and his progress this year with coaches as being the equivalent of "meh".

everyone talks about his receptions. i think we can find someone who catches the ball like he does from that position.

what he brings to the table that is REALLY hard to find is his run blocking ability. All these new tight ends are 2 inches taller and 20 lbs heavier than WRs, which isn't enough to be as effective in the run game as someone like bennett who is an asset in both parts of the offense.

At the end of the day, frankly, the Pats really screwed us on Ballard, because we could really use another servicable (both passing and running game) option at TE right now.

RoanokeFan
01-15-2013, 02:49 PM
yeah...no doubt. But there were several times he looked absolutley lost. Maybe that was on Eli or the fact that it was his first season in the system.
Still a keeper tho....

I wonder how much that knee cap issue affected him in blocking

RoanokeFan
01-15-2013, 02:55 PM
number of announces alluded to off the record conversations about bennett and his progress this year with coaches as being the equivalent of "meh".

everyone talks about his receptions. i think we can find someone who catches the ball like he does from that position.

what he brings to the table that is REALLY hard to find is his run blocking ability. All these new tight ends are 2 inches taller and 20 lbs heavier than WRs, which isn't enough to be as effective in the run game as someone like bennett who is an asset in both parts of the offense.

At the end of the day, frankly, the Pats really screwed us on Ballard, because we could really use another servicable (both passing and running game) option at TE right now.

What I also like about Bennett is he KNOWS blocking is job one and it OK with that. Ballard is an ERFA this season. Has he taken any snaps with the Patriots?

GameTime
01-15-2013, 02:58 PM

dont know if the Giants are "screwed" on the Ballard thing. he hasnt played a snap yet....

RoanokeFan
01-15-2013, 03:00 PM
dont know if the Giants are "screwed" on the Ballard thing. he hasnt played a snap yet....

He had the same microfracture injury as Smith, yes?

CDN_G-FAN
01-15-2013, 03:06 PM

yep. i'm not usually a bettin' man, but i bet he'll be back and he'll be fine.

RoanokeFan
01-15-2013, 03:08 PM
yep. i'm not usually a bettin' man, but i bet he'll be back and he'll be fine.

At least the Patriots didn't rush him back as the Eagles did to Smith

GameTime
01-15-2013, 03:09 PM
not too sure. I like Ballard and hope he does well for himself. But till then he is nothing to the Pats....

CDN_G-FAN
01-15-2013, 03:09 PM
At least the Patriots didn't rush him back as the Eagles did to Smith

GREAT CALL.

JJC7301
01-15-2013, 04:55 PM
For the right price, I'd be very happy with Bennett coming back again.

Pascoe, I'm very happy with as the # 2 TE and # 2 FB.

I don't have a problem with giving Beckum a shot in training camp as a WR, but no interest in bringing him back at TE.

Flip Empty
01-15-2013, 05:02 PM
Because he's cheap, I suppose. This team seems to love riding rookie contracts out - even when they're mistakes.

RoanokeFan
01-15-2013, 05:38 PM
For the right price, I'd be very happy with Bennett coming back again.

Pascoe, I'm very happy with as the # 2 TE and # 2 FB.

I don't have a problem with giving Beckum a shot in training camp as a WR, but no interest in bringing him back at TE.

People tend to forget Pascoe is the only back up for Hynoski

RoanokeFan
01-15-2013, 05:39 PM
Because he's cheap, I suppose. This team seems to love riding rookie contracts out - even when they're mistakes.

They hope they measure up. Sometimes they just don't.

TCHOF
01-15-2013, 08:48 PM
Deep TE draft this year

Carter.525
01-15-2013, 08:50 PM
Deep TE draft this year

very deep

RoanokeFan
01-15-2013, 08:51 PM
Deep TE draft this year

Not if they sign, Bennett I don't think. Right Tackle has to be near the top of the draft list.

rEaS
01-15-2013, 09:03 PM
theres no way we draft a TE with all the glaring needs this team has.. just sign the black unicorn and pay attention to the gazillion other needs the team has..

bearbryant
01-16-2013, 01:12 AM
They hope they measure up. Sometimes they just don't.
Its difficult for them to measure up whenthey don't get the chance to measure up!!

giantsfan420
01-16-2013, 02:16 AM
with how our run game looked even tho bradshaw was more hurt this yr than last imo, i think a large part of that is due to MB. hes almost as big a must resign imo as beatty or cruz bc bennett helps setup the run AND pass game for success.

i think he more than met expectations and he can still improve tremendously. i hope we resign him and make the TE position more of a priority in the pass game bc the middle of the field is where the best space to attack defenses

ELI_HOF_NYG
01-16-2013, 02:30 AM

and played injured with a smile.

Captain Chaos
01-16-2013, 06:04 AM
Keep Bennett - I think he will have an even better season next year.
Pascoe: Blocked well
Beckum: I was scratching my head when we picked him, we just don't use TE's built like he is.
The rookie, didn't he make it into one game, no catches...worth watching
Could we use someone else, we've got plenty of other needs that should take president.

RoanokeFan
01-16-2013, 06:30 AM
Its difficult for them to measure up whenthey don't get the chance to measure up!!

They usually let a draft pick play out his entire rookie contract before releasing him. How much more chance should they get?