PDA

View Full Version : IF we could get back Steve Smith and/or Jake Ballard

shane4177
01-16-2013, 10:15 AM
Would you want them back in blue? I know both had serious injuries to them.......Steve more so with the microfracture surgery from 2 seasons ago. I know Cruz has replaced Steve's production, and Ballard was forgotten with Benett's signing.......but still we could possibly use these guys, and they played great for us.

RoanokeFan
01-16-2013, 10:17 AM
Would you want them back in blue? I know both had serious injuries to them.......Steve more so with the microfracture surgery from 2 seasons ago. I know Cruz has replaced Steve's production, and Ballard was forgotten with Benett's signing.......but still we could possibly use these guys, and they played great for us.

They both have microfracture injuries. Smith has not returned to the player he was before his injury, the jury is still out on Ballard. Since we don't need either, I'd say no.

jomo
01-16-2013, 10:18 AM
I don't want ANYONE on the team, taking up cap and roster space with unresolved injury issues.

RoanokeFan
01-16-2013, 10:20 AM
I don't want ANYONE on the team, taking up cap and roster space with unresolved injury issues.

Lord knows we have a list already

Toadofsteel
01-16-2013, 10:23 AM
I'd be willing to take Ballard back, but not SS12.

RoanokeFan
01-16-2013, 10:26 AM
I'd be willing to take Ballard back, but not SS12.

That could be quite a gamble. I hope he comes back strong, but I'm less inclined to find that our on this roster.

Giant stuck in Texas
01-16-2013, 10:30 AM
I'm not sure why you would want Smith back. Cruz is light years better and we don't need depth, but for arguments sake, I would rather have Devin Thomas back before Smith.

B-Red22
01-16-2013, 10:35 AM
Ballard yes SS no, he's still a traitor in my eyes and no I won't get over it lol

TAILGATIN'
01-16-2013, 10:36 AM
Pass.. we are obviously a team of the future and in a rebuilding period, so why not let Reese draft some more young talent and break them in. Although I'd absolutely love to see it as much as the next fan, I dont see us making a bowl in the very near future with the team as it is. Lot of good rooks out there this year and I see the league headed in a younger direction overall.
PS- I like Bennet better in our scheme than Ballard.

Carter.525
01-16-2013, 10:50 AM
a "healthy" SS

flashnando
01-16-2013, 10:58 AM

No thank you to both!

Toadofsteel
01-16-2013, 10:59 AM
a "healthy" SS

...is still a traitor.

Gimaniac
01-16-2013, 11:20 AM
Damaged and Damaged-er

Carter.525
01-16-2013, 11:23 AM
...is still a traitor.

that's business..

dakotajoe
01-16-2013, 11:31 AM
I rather have a healthy Steve Smith but from what I've heard he hasn't returned to his old self post-surgery. Ballard was extremely slow before surgery. I'd like to see how he moves now.

I wouldn't want either unless they can show they can play like they used to.

Rat_bastich
01-16-2013, 11:36 AM
Nope. I think we should let the past be the past and look for new and younger guys to replace the veterans. Only bring veterans in for a stop-gap unless the vet is a relatively young guy just out of his first contract with a ceiling still left.

ShakeandBake
01-16-2013, 11:45 AM
I'd rather have Ballard back if he was healthy. I hoping we will resign Cruz, so slot is already locked up and Steve Smith isn't going to beat to many guys in coverage playing on the outside. Plus we have JJ as well and I think right now he would be better than Smith as well. I'm still not sold on Bennett, but we carry 3 TEs. I haven't heard much about Adrien Robinson, so I'd imagine we could use more help at TE than WR.

Toadofsteel
01-16-2013, 12:09 PM
Ballard coming back might be more of a possibility if we are unable to reach a deal with Bennett...

RoanokeFan
01-16-2013, 12:31 PM
Ballard coming back might be more of a possibility if we are unable to reach a deal with Bennett...

He would be cheaper, but would he be better? Bennett put up some nice numbers for his first year.

Toadofsteel
01-16-2013, 12:32 PM
He would be cheaper, but would he be better? Bennett put up some nice numbers for his first year.

I'm not saying he's better, i'm saying our cap is strapped to a freaking bomb and we need to save where we can. I seriously hope we can re-sign everyone, but failing that, i'd take back Ballard...

RoanokeFan
01-16-2013, 12:38 PM
I'm not saying he's better, i'm saying our cap is strapped to a freaking bomb and we need to save where we can. I seriously hope we can re-sign everyone, but failing that, i'd take back Ballard...

He's not played a down since his microfracture injury. You're worried too much about the CAP. It works out every year. None of us know the nuances involved in staying under the CAP. Reese will do what is best for the team and, so far, that's been pretty good.

Giantslb66
01-16-2013, 01:19 PM
Would you want them back in blue? I know both had serious injuries to them.......Steve more so with the microfracture surgery from 2 seasons ago. I know Cruz has replaced Steve's production, and Ballard was forgotten with Benett's signing.......but still we could possibly use these guys, and they played great for us. Haven't we gotten over this yet? Smith had a nice run here but it is OVER! Ballard had some nice grabs, but I'll take Bennett over him by a longshot. Time to move on my friend. GO GIANTS!

GameTime
01-16-2013, 01:23 PM
really have no need for either one.....

shocknaweny
01-16-2013, 03:46 PM
Yes to S.Smith and a no to Ballard !!!

Gmen2005
01-16-2013, 03:54 PM
Smith was one of my favorite Giants when he was on the team. I would not want him back though, he isn't the same player.

RoanokeFan
01-16-2013, 04:52 PM
...is still a traitor.

Traitor is a little harsh. The Giants made him an offer and he, via his agent, peddled his wares to the Eagles who backed him into a corner by making a higher offer and not letting him take any time to think about the offer. The Eagles medical staff also miscalulated when Smith could expect to return to the field, suggesting he could be ready for opening day. Smith opted for the quick cash, believed the Eagles' medical staff and came back before he should have, ending up back on IR again.

He didn't owe the Giants anything but the Giants were more concerned about his, and their, future than the Eagles, and even his agent were.

thomasjmarino
01-16-2013, 04:59 PM
I think the bigger question is - Are we going to continue to allow these other coaches to outsmart us by taking away our players to keep us out of contention? I think that was a real weasel move by BB to take Ballard. We need to return the favor. And Harbaugh taking Manningham and Jacobs was BS too. Funny how Jacobs never played and was cut only after the Giants were out of the playoffs. We cannot let this happen anymore!!!!

Drez
01-16-2013, 05:06 PM
I think the bigger question is - Are we going to continue to allow these other coaches to outsmart us by taking away our players to keep us out of contention? I think that was a real weasel move by BB to take Ballard. We need to return the favor. And Harbaugh taking Manningham and Jacobs was BS too. Funny how Jacobs never played and was cut only after the Giants were out of the playoffs. We cannot let this happen anymore!!!!
How many downs of football did Ballard or Jacobs play this season?

Manningham was a FA that we didn't give a serious offer to.

Jacobs getting cut had nothing to do with us being eliminated from the playoffs. Harbaugh cut him when NO other team could have signed him for the playoffs.

Drez
01-16-2013, 05:07 PM
Traitor is a little harsh.
Meh.

All Smith did on Facebook and Twitter that summer was talk junk about the Eagles, even going so far as to post the empty trophy case pic just a week or so before signing with them.

DIPSET_ALL_DAY
01-16-2013, 05:14 PM
We already have a slow blocking TE in Pascoe, if he were a faster, route running TE, sure. Didn't we draft a TE last season who is pretty fast?

Steve Smith's career is done and I wish people would stop talking about him. He was a possession WR and a short one at that. He had one good season, got injured and then decided to chase the dollar instead of staying with the team who allowed him to develop.

Let me make this clear we do NOT need another WR...TE isn't important either as we have Bennett and we usually don't run two TE sets consistently.

DIPSET_ALL_DAY
01-16-2013, 05:14 PM
Meh.

All Smith did on Facebook and Twitter that summer was talk junk about the Eagles, even going so far as to post the empty trophy case pic just a week or so before signing with them. LOL You serious?

thomasjmarino
01-16-2013, 05:15 PM
How many downs of football did Ballard or Jacobs play this season?

Manningham was a FA that we didn't give a serious offer to.

Jacobs getting cut had nothing to do with us being eliminated from the playoffs. Harbaugh cut him when NO other team could have signed him for the playoffs.

Talk to me about Ballard after next season when he is healthy and BB has him in that lineup. And please don't defend Harbaugh. Point is we need to stop allowing these other teams to take our people. Players, coaches, management, etc. I'm really tired of the NYG being the nice guys of the NFL.

RoanokeFan
01-16-2013, 05:19 PM

The only player you mentioned who was "taken" was Ballard when he failed to clear waivers. That's how the system works. The other went to those teams voluntarily and for more money in Jacobs' case and to start, in Manningham's case. Jacobs got the money and nothing else, Mario got to start in 10 games with average numbers.

I still think there was a twinge of revenge by BB taking Ballard, but there was no rule violation involved.

These are the business decisions that are made every day in the NFL. We haven't lost anything in any of those transactions.

Drez
01-16-2013, 05:43 PM
LOL You serious?Yeah, dude. He was talking mad **** about the Eagles ALL summer. That's why I feel he's a bit of a turncoat. Had he not done that, I probably wouldn't bear him that much ill will.

RoanokeFan
01-16-2013, 05:45 PM
Meh.

All Smith did on Facebook and Twitter that summer was talk junk about the Eagles, even going so far as to post the empty trophy case pic just a week or so before signing with them.

I know he did, but traitor? He is a bandwagon player.

Drez
01-16-2013, 05:48 PM
Talk to me about Ballard after next season when he is healthy and BB has him in that lineup. And please don't defend Harbaugh. Point is we need to stop allowing these other teams to take our people. Players, coaches, management, etc. I'm really tired of the NYG being the nice guys of the NFL.
And Bennett is still a better TE than Ballard.

If we had wanted MM or BJ they still would have been Giants.

BB taking Ballard was a bit sneaky, but that was on us for trying to sneak him through waivers to get him to IR to clear up a roster spot for camp.

As far as not letting teams take coaches and management... If the Giants gained a reputation for not allowing talented individuals the opportunity to advance their careers in other organizations then we wouldn't be able to get talented and ambitious people to come work for us. And for the record, we did actually disallow another team from talking to one of the position assistant coaches last season, as we had already lost a few.

Drez
01-16-2013, 05:49 PM
I know he did, but traitor? He is a bandwagon player.

I mean, that just strikes me as being a bit turncoat-ish, especially seeing as he didn't even bring the Eagles offer back to us (not that we would have matched it).

RoanokeFan
01-16-2013, 05:55 PM
I mean, that just strikes me as being a bit turncoat-ish, especially seeing as he didn't even bring the Eagles offer back to us (not that we would have matched it).

Steve Smith, in hindsight, would have been better off staying put. He had no way of knowing that at the time but he sure should have been concerned when the Eagles' medical people miraculously sped up his rehab. A medical staff which had no hand in his surgery.

He went for the money and scare tactic and lost.

NWKEffectElement
01-16-2013, 08:03 PM
Are you freaking kidding me?? Are we still on this SS bull****?

RoanokeFan
01-16-2013, 08:05 PM
Are you freaking kidding me?? Are we still on this SS bull****?

It's payback for no playoffs

bearbryant
01-16-2013, 11:05 PM
I'm glad we finished with Bennett, he's better than Ballard, now keep him! Belicheat was SO, SO pissed, he couldn't help himself when Jake caught that winning pass in Foxoboro, I was there, a great game BTW. SS, loved him but looks like he made a poor decision unless he does a turn around. I don't want either one! GLTBOT

GiantRoc
01-17-2013, 12:05 AM
Enough with SS. That ship has sailed. Id be ok if Ballard came back if Robinson can't contribute this year. That is, if we can't find something better. He showed decent hands, but id really like to see more speed with a second TE.

GameTime
01-17-2013, 08:03 AM
after a few pages in this thread I still dont see the need for either one....

Mercury
01-17-2013, 08:35 AM
What would be the big deal of signing SS to a cheap contract and having him come to camp? If he can't perform, he won't make the team. No harm done. If he proves he's healthy and can perform, and if we have any WR injuries, he and Eli can get back to converting third downs. Win-Win.

Granted, that I'd rather see HN, VC and RR as our starting three WR, but there is a big assumption that some other team isn't willing to break the bank for Cruz. It could happen, he is a RFA.

giantscolombia
01-17-2013, 08:46 AM
I could have sworn that scrub BENEDICT retired....

gmen46
01-17-2013, 01:48 PM
NFL teams are like sharks.

If either one stops moving forward, they die.

Enough with the "should we bring back (Smith, Ballard, Jacobs, Shockey, Burress, etc, etc, etc)", already, whenever an ex Giant becomes available years after they left.

Keep moving forward. Simple.

JayMas9
01-17-2013, 02:53 PM
There's no role for SS on this team. We have a better slot receiver than he was, even pre-injury. And he's not a good enough flanker to justify using him there when Cruz is in the slot...especially with the flashes R. Randle showed this year as a very capable outside receiver.

sharick88
01-17-2013, 03:44 PM

I am going roll with a big N O on this one. Unresolved injury issues= Damaged goods. Might as well bring Shockey back. LOL

wuzpapn
01-17-2013, 04:23 PM
Develop Adrien Robinson behind Beckum and Bennett. No need for ginger boy to come back.

Drez
01-17-2013, 04:29 PM
Develop Adrien Robinson behind Beckum and Bennett. No need for ginger boy to come back.

I'd be shocked to see Beckum resigned.

wuzpapn
01-17-2013, 04:31 PM
I'd be shocked to see Beckum resigned.
True, it seemed promising that he was going to try to get back into the line-up towards the end of the season. I can't see him not trying to make it back to camp next season, but with the draft I think we'll be more worried about DL, OL, CB, and S position before going for TE.

Drez
01-17-2013, 04:52 PM
True, it seemed promising that he was going to try to get back into the line-up towards the end of the season. I can't see him not trying to make it back to camp next season, but with the draft I think we'll be more worried about DL, OL, CB, and S position before going for TE.
He's a FA. I just don't think we're going to re-sign him. Between injuries, his inability to block, and who knows what else, we've just never been able to find a role for him in the offense. He might make a nice piece somewhere else, but he just doesn't seem to fit here.

jomo
01-17-2013, 05:00 PM
True, it seemed promising that he was going to try to get back into the line-up towards the end of the season. I can't see him not trying to make it back to camp next season, but with the draft I think we'll be more worried about DL, OL, CB, and S position before going for TE.Too slow for WR and not big enough to be a formidable blocker. Punt!