PDA

View Full Version : What Does Chip Kelly To Eagles Mean To Giants?

RoanokeFan
01-16-2013, 07:14 PM
http://www.bigblueview.com/2013/1/16/3883174/chip-kelly-hired-by-philadelphia-eagles-what-is-impact-on-new-york

Excerpt: 'What does Kelly's hiring mean for the New York Giants (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/teams/new-york-giants), who face the Eagles twice every season in the NFC East?

At first glance it means that head coach Tom Coughlin, defensive coordinator Perry Fewell and the rest of the Giants' staff have a lot of studying to do. The Giants had tremendous difficulty during the 2012 regular season with the read-option and power running game employed by Robert Grifffin III and the Washington Redskins (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/teams/washington-redskins). This season they will see much more of that type of attack.

The Giants face the Redskins and Eagles twice, and also have Russell Wilson (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/players/154904/russell-wilson) and the Seattle Seahawks (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/teams/seattle-seahawks) and Cam Newton and the Carolina Panthers (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/teams/carolina-panthers) on their 2013 schedule (http://www.bigblueview.com/2012/12/31/3821054/new-york-giants-2013-schedule-opponents-known). That means they will face this newer-style fast-paced offense in which the quarterback is often a runner at least six times, including in four of their six division games.

As they de-construct the things that went wrong defensively in 2012 and try to fortify that group for 2013 you have to think the Giants will keep all of this in mind as they add personnel via free agency and the draft." Read more...

barran21
01-16-2013, 07:19 PM
We get to sweep the Eagles every year?

RoanokeFan
01-16-2013, 07:19 PM
We get to sweep the Eagles every year?

I like these positive vibes :rolleyes:

flashnando
01-16-2013, 07:22 PM
http://www.bigblueview.com/2013/1/16/3883174/chip-kelly-hired-by-philadelphia-eagles-what-is-impact-on-new-york

Excerpt: 'What does Kelly's hiring mean for the New York Giants (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/teams/new-york-giants), who face the Eagles twice every season in the NFC East?

At first glance it means that head coach Tom Coughlin, defensive coordinator Perry Fewell and the rest of the Giants' staff have a lot of studying to do. The Giants had tremendous difficulty during the 2012 regular season with the read-option and power running game employed by Robert Grifffin III and the Washington Redskins (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/teams/washington-redskins). This season they will see much more of that type of attack.

The Giants face the Redskins and Eagles twice, and also have Russell Wilson (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/players/154904/russell-wilson) and the Seattle Seahawks (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/teams/seattle-seahawks) and Cam Newton and the Carolina Panthers (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/teams/carolina-panthers) on their 2013 schedule (http://www.bigblueview.com/2012/12/31/3821054/new-york-giants-2013-schedule-opponents-known). That means they will face this newer-style fast-paced offense in which the quarterback is often a runner at least six times, including in four of their six division games.

As they de-construct the things that went wrong defensively in 2012 and try to fortify that group for 2013 you have to think the Giants will keep all of this in mind as they add personnel via free agency and the draft." Read more...

First of all let me start by saying, I'm looking forward to the seeing how the Giants take on that challenge. I'm not going to mark those games as loses or be afraid for the Giants when they play those teams. The Giants have a lot of changes and adjustments they have to make this offseason, they have to have a great draft and also sign and keep key players and maybe sign some "sleepers" or "gems" out in FA that won't cost and arm and a leg. I trust Reese and the crew will do a great job as always and put a team together for the coaches to mold and have ready for the upcoming season. PF has a lot of work to do if he wants to improve over this past season, he needs to wake up a little and be ready for this read-option type of style. He also needs to make necessary adjustments when needed, if something is not working during a game.....change it up a little and try another scheme and rotate players if others are not performing. All the success depends on the team as a whole, the coaches have to put a great plan in place and the players have to stay in shape and execute what the coaches have in place for them. They win as a team and fail as a team!

ShakeandBake
01-16-2013, 07:22 PM
If Williams stays healthy I think he could be a good QB spy for us, or possibly use a safety

giantsfan420
01-16-2013, 07:29 PM
it means another spread offense we'll face. its alright tho not worried bout kelly at all. his system works in the bs conference oregons in, not when talent is spread much more evenly. this will be another failed expierment with vick id gather as well. this gives philly a reason to keep him...

TheEnigma
01-16-2013, 07:31 PM
Majority of Big Blue fans are scared of Chip Kelly while Eagles fans think he is the next Steve Spurrier lol. I think this is a huge risk/reward hire myself on Lurie's part.

giantsfan420
01-16-2013, 07:33 PM
Majority of Big Blue fans are scared of Chip Kelly while Eagles fans think he is the next Steve Spurrier lol. I think this is a huge risk/reward hire myself on Lurie's part.is kelly in charge of player personnel like he was at oregon? if not, its awfully tough trying to implement a scheme like hes going to with players forced upon him...dont see this working out for philly at all. didnt see it working for washington and rgknees better qb than vick and shannahans at least a proven nfl coach...

giantsfan420
01-16-2013, 07:35 PM
and really our lack of success vs washington the 2nd time, the author fails to state how we won our 1rst meeting, was bc of tuck and osi's bs mentality imo. when those two were feeling disrespected and talked down to, they lit up cam newton (the defense/dl) and thats a spread option with a better pocket pass imo than rgknee, so what happened? the mentality. tuck conceded defeat after we won the 1rst meeting...

TheEnigma
01-16-2013, 07:37 PM
is kelly in charge of player personnel like he was at oregon? if not, its awfully tough trying to implement a scheme like hes going to with players forced upon him...dont see this working out for philly at all. didnt see it working for washington and rgknees better qb than vick and shannahans at least a proven nfl coach...

I don't think those details have been released yet but I imagine since he was Lurie's guy the whole race, Kelly will end up getting full control. I'm not worried about the immediate future because it's not like college recruiting where he can build his team easily in the first 2 years. Like with Pete Carroll, it will take time.

TextureDj
01-16-2013, 07:43 PM
this has dream team 2.0 written all over it. RGIII and the spread option was successful this year, so lets go out and get the best spread option guy we can find to run our team. They just always have to build around hype and trends and names up there in Philly. Silly all the best teams in the NFL are built on continuity and a slow maturation of a system, they just cant get it.

giantsfan420
01-16-2013, 07:45 PM
I don't think those details have been released yet but I imagine since he was Lurie's guy the whole race, Kelly will end up getting full control. I'm not worried about the immediate future because it's not like college recruiting where he can build his team easily in the first 2 years. Like with Pete Carroll, it will take time.i tend to agree and i think its why it will ultimately fail. philly fans arent gonna give kelly the time needed to turn their team around. they won what, 3 games 4 games? ppl in philly honestly believed dynasty lol. if he has some early success itll make things even worse and expectatins more unfair lol

giantsfan420
01-16-2013, 07:47 PM
this has dream team 2.0 written all over it. RGIII and the spread option was successful this year, so lets go out and get the best spread option guy we can find to run our team. They just always have to build around hype and trends and names up there in Philly. Silly all the best teams in the NFL are built on continuity and a slow maturation of a system, they just cant get it.this is another aspect i believe it will fail. from what i know of kelly, he doesnt run any sort of conventional offense. its ALL spread option stuff, at least in college it was. phillys taking a huge gamble that this recent spread option isnt some sort of gimmic fad. if it is, their team will consistently suck bc of scheme no matter the personnel really lmao. what a risk

giantsfan420
01-16-2013, 07:48 PM
can a spread option offense win the SB? i dunno. i dont think so.

TheEnigma
01-16-2013, 07:50 PM
can a spread option offense win the SB? i dunno. i dont think so.

It's not even that. They had a chance to grab the DC of the Seahawks who has actual NFL experience and has shown that he can get his unit to play at a high level. Lurie should of hired the more sure choice.

fletch842
01-16-2013, 08:25 PM
I think the NFL D's will catch up with the spread option this year. With a full off-season, and multiple QB's having run it this year, there is plenty of film to disseminate, and come up with effective schemes.

RoanokeFan
01-16-2013, 08:28 PM
I think the NFL D's will catch up with the spread option this year. With a full off-season, and multiple QB's having run it this year, there is plenty of film to disseminate, and come up with effective schemes.

+1

slipknottin
01-16-2013, 08:28 PM
Will mean all hurry up no huddle. Giants defense needs to be in good shape for next season.

SimmsandLT
01-16-2013, 08:57 PM
Will mean all hurry up no huddle. Giants defense needs to be in good shape for next season.

We need to get faster, and nastier on defense.. better LB's and DT's methinks.

22for25
01-16-2013, 09:47 PM
it means another spread offense we'll face. its alright tho not worried bout kelly at all. his system works in the bs conference oregons in, not when talent is spread much more evenly. this will be another failed expierment with vick id gather as well. this gives philly a reason to keep him...PAC-12 BS? Lol. Try 2nd to the SEC. And would Philly want to keep Vick? Never plays a full season, old, slower, bad passer and does not play in the spread option....

jaxnygmen
01-16-2013, 10:04 PM
We need to get a lot faster and disciplined on defense.

giantsfan420
01-16-2013, 10:46 PM
PAC-12 BS? Lol. Try 2nd to the SEC. And would Philly want to keep Vick? Never plays a full season, old, slower, bad passer and does not play in the spread option....oh pls the pac 12 was a joke of a conference and u know it for many many years. lately its been much better but be real man cmon...2nd best conference lol thats highly debatable

GameTime
01-16-2013, 11:03 PM
he means squat right now......

bearbryant
01-16-2013, 11:49 PM
It takes Kelly awhile to adjust and grow into this league. However the Giants better wake up and get ready for this type of offense if the Giants want to be a leading team once again

TCHOF
01-16-2013, 11:58 PM
I would be wary of a coach who was convinced he didn't want to coach in the NFL ten days ago, and became unconvinced simply because he was offered more money.

giantsfan420
01-17-2013, 12:19 AM
I would be wary of a coach who was convinced he didn't want to coach in the NFL ten days ago, and became unconvinced simply because he was offered more money.great point.

Cloud57
01-17-2013, 01:02 AM
I would be wary of a coach who was convinced he didn't want to coach in the NFL ten days ago, and became unconvinced simply because he was offered more money.What about players that go to different teams for the same reason.

ELI_Iz_God
01-17-2013, 01:23 AM
Well since Kelly has never faced the Giants it pretty much means nothing

TCHOF
01-17-2013, 10:08 AM
What about players that go to different teams for the same reason.

How is that the same thing as a coach making the choice to enter a completely different league for the first time?

Ruttiger711
01-17-2013, 10:37 AM
You would think with some of the comments here that Chip Kelly makes existing NFL players even faster.

slipknottin
01-17-2013, 10:49 AM
You would think with some of the comments here that Chip Kelly makes existing NFL players even faster.

He does. Just not during the actual play.

It's a very fast paced offense.

BlueReign
01-17-2013, 11:42 AM
Eagles have the personnel for him to run his scheme effectively. So much speed on both sides of the ball.

BlueSanta
01-17-2013, 12:00 PM
I am glad he is getting his shot. I have always enjoyed watching some of the things he did at Oregon. However, I have my reservations tho about that offense in the NFL.

If he tries to run that super fast paced offense, his defense is going to be on the field an a lot and with just a 53 man roster he isnt gonna be able to rotate like he could in college.

NYGisBallin
01-17-2013, 01:51 PM

Bad feeling about this...

shocknaweny
01-17-2013, 03:54 PM
but will Chip Kelly keep Vick to run his offense.....that's the question here

G14ntzF4π
01-17-2013, 03:56 PM
An instawin

G14ntzF4π
01-17-2013, 03:57 PM
but will Chip Kelly keep Vick to run his offense.....that's the question here
There is speculation he could run a multiple QB system

elitocruz
01-17-2013, 07:46 PM
As someone who has covered his Oregon teams and watched every snap since the 2010 Civil War (and many snaps before that), Chip's read option is not what makes that offense great. It's their incredibly high level of execution with the no huddle. it's their ability to get off snaps in rapid fire succession. the ability to look at a silly play card and know the play, the check downs, the blocking schemes etc. This is what will make them tough to deal with. It's what Belichick took from him last off-season. It wasn't his read option.

Now, i will say this, they'd better score touchdowns and lots of them, because their defense will be on the field a lot. they score quickly, but those 3 and outs are quick too. so- like at Oregon - they'd better be getting nice leads, so once their own D is exhausted, they're just giving up meaningless yards and cosmetic scores.

NYG4lifeNYK
01-17-2013, 08:14 PM
Not too worried.... they are missing a ton of pieces.... most notably a QB.... Michael Vick coming back is music to my ears :D

myles2424
01-17-2013, 08:23 PM
He'll be another College coach that fails in the pros....Just my prediction...

Cloud57
01-17-2013, 08:25 PM
I don't know much about they guy since I don't watch college football

Drez
01-17-2013, 08:28 PM
You assume he's going to run the same offense in Philly. While I'm sure he'll try and keep the tempo up, his players will be dead by November if he tries to run 90+ offensive snaps in the NFL. It's easier to do that when you have a roster of 100 players instead of 53.

slipknottin
01-17-2013, 08:39 PM
Thats what Ive been saying, the real threat is the speed they operate at, not really the speed of the team.

I would bet he tries exactly the same thing in the NFL. Could his team physically survive running so many snaps a game? That will be the real question.

Of course the natural way to kill a high paced offense is to force 3 and outs, then control the ball on offense.

BlueSanta
01-17-2013, 10:11 PM
Thats what Ive been saying, the real threat is the speed they operate at, not really the speed of the team.

I would bet he tries exactly the same thing in the NFL. Could his team physically survive running so many snaps a game? That will be the real question.

Of course the natural way to kill a high paced offense is to force 3 and outs, then control the ball on offense.

I love watching his offense in college. But if he tries to do the same fast paced offense in the NFL, with a 53 man roster, he is going to murder his own defense.

Still I am glad he is getting his shot. He deserves it.

Cloud57
01-17-2013, 10:18 PM
Chip is dangerous because Fewell is our DC

GTGiantsFan
01-17-2013, 10:47 PM
He only came because they offered him more power and more money. He declined at first because he didn't think the system fit his style of play. He doesn't have any NFL background at all either, poor hire.

JJC7301
01-17-2013, 11:54 PM
It was a bold move by the Eagles. I respect it. The Eagles can be a dangerous team and I think they all needed new coaching blood. I'd be wary of them next year.

TheShouldersOf
01-18-2013, 12:51 AM
if anyone thinks that Chip is going to force an offense on a team they don't know Chip Kelly, he is going to utilize his personal to the maximum potential, something that many other coaches and coordinators should do

TheShouldersOf
01-18-2013, 12:55 AM
Chip Kelly is brilliant, beyond his 'Offensive Schemes' his approach to the game, his approach to nutrition and workouts etc, his coaching in general, i don't believe he will force any scheme on an offense that doesn't have the potential personal to maximize that, he is highly intelligent when it comes to football

Cloud57
01-18-2013, 02:06 AM
Chip Kelly is brilliant, beyond his 'Offensive Schemes' his approach to the game, his approach to nutrition and workouts etc, his coaching in general, i don't believe he will force any scheme on an offense that doesn't have the potential personal to maximize that, he is highly intelligent when it comes to footballHe's not a bystander HC

gmen46
01-18-2013, 04:27 AM
There is speculation he could run a multiple QB system

Yeah. Because that always works in the NFL.

Rat_bastich
01-18-2013, 04:38 AM
Yeah. Because that always works in the NFL.

Running back by committee has graduated to Quarterback by committee. That would be some funny stuff.

22for25
01-18-2013, 05:21 AM
Ok debate it then besides the SEC what other conference was better then the PAC-12? What's this be a real man stuff all about? You can't even spell out all the words your typing, what are you 12? Do you think the Big East is all that? The Big East is a joke! I doubt you even follow college ball, poser.

Rat_bastich
01-18-2013, 05:55 AM
your typing.

Since you brought it up first...you're....

NYGisBallin
01-18-2013, 07:55 AM
What many people have said and its 100% true. Unless he changes his style of offense he'll never survive..

TuckandRolle
01-18-2013, 11:52 AM
STOP THE RUN!

Trueblue4life
01-18-2013, 03:52 PM
Being from Arizona and following the Pac-12 a lot I do not think he will have much success at first. I am not saying he is a bad coach but he has benefited from an overwhelming talent pool at Oregon. Oregon gets the majority of the best players on the west coast due to all the endorsements and NFL level football facilities, its called Nike U for a reason. That being said, once he gets the players he wants he should do ok. Whether or not the egirls wait that long is another story.

22for25
01-18-2013, 08:28 PM
Since you brought it up first...you're....Thanks bro.

dakotajoe
01-19-2013, 12:03 PM
I listened to an interview of Kelly after he got the head coach job. The overall message was he is watching a lot of tape to evaluate his players and will design a scheme based on the talent they have on the Eagles. Don't expect the Oregon playbook.

What this means for the Giants? I'm not sure at this point, Reid is a successful head coach and Kelly is unproven in the NFL.

Redeyejedi
01-19-2013, 12:40 PM

NFC East is turning into a division that runs the football

gmen46
01-19-2013, 04:58 PM
NFC East is turning into a division that runs the football

Remains to be seen.

But as of the end of 2012 season, while Redskins were first in the league in rushing, the Eagles, Giants and Cowboys were 13th, 14th, and 31st, respectively, with the run. hardly qualifies as definitively a "division that runs the football"--at least not any more than any other division.

And as to our "terrible defense vs the run" 2012 Giants, we were 3-1 vs the top 10 teams in rushing (Redskins, Niners, Panthers), and 6-6 vs the other teams we played with lesser run games.

We definitely need to improve our run defense for 2013. But our failure to make the post season this year was ultimately due to inconsistency in so many other areas of the game, that in my view the emphasis on defending the run--and the attending emphasis on defending the read option as depicted in this article about Kelly and his potential impact upon the Giants--is quite overblown.

We split the Redskins games, and their new offense with rookies Griffin and Morris gave the Giants fits, to be sure. But even with the admitted porous run defense of the Giants this year we were in both games until the last second of each, winning one with a thrilling finish and losing the second one by 1 point.

I don't share the sudden fear factor of the so-called read option that's implied by the writer of this article.

giantsfan420
01-19-2013, 05:46 PM
Being from Arizona and following the Pac-12 a lot I do not think he will have much success at first. I am not saying he is a bad coach but he has benefited from an overwhelming talent pool at Oregon. Oregon gets the majority of the best players on the west coast due to all the endorsements and NFL level football facilities, its called Nike U for a reason. That being said, once he gets the players he wants he should do ok. Whether or not the egirls wait that long is another story.nice post

Trueblue4life
01-19-2013, 06:31 PM
nice post

Well thanks

giantsforce
01-20-2013, 02:28 PM
Being from Arizona and following the Pac-12 a lot I do not think he will have much success at first. I am not saying he is a bad coach but he has benefited from an overwhelming talent pool at Oregon. Oregon gets the majority of the best players on the west coast due to all the endorsements and NFL level football facilities, its called Nike U for a reason. That being said, once he gets the players he wants he should do ok. Whether or not the egirls wait that long is another story.I am from AZ too and I have watched Chip closely also. One thing is for certain: The guy knows how to call imaginative offensive plays. I am afraid that even at the state the Eagles are now, Kelly will make Fewell's defense look like pee-wee league. I wanted him for our OC, but knew it will never happen.

mike kennedy
01-20-2013, 02:31 PM
It means he better get some major schooling on the spread offence and then figure out how much of the dead weight on the defense he needs to get rid of.
And find a "Real Man" to be the defensive captain.

gmen46
01-20-2013, 03:42 PM
It means he better get some major schooling on the spread offence and then figure out how much of the dead weight on the defense he needs to get rid of.
And find a "Real Man" to be the defensive captain.

The package run by RGIII, Cam, Kaep you're referring to is "read" offense and/or "pistol" package, not "spread". And our 2012 defense--as inconsistent as it was throughout the season--was not exactly destroyed by Redskins, Panthers, or the multiple plays Kaep was in vs us in Oct.

These teams were effective in certain games during the year, true enough, but they weren't "unstoppable" by any means. They all lost games, and some were to us.

And to call into question Tuck's "manhood" is ****ing absurd, regardless of his fall off in production this year.

Buddy333
01-20-2013, 03:47 PM
Be interesting to see what happens with the NCAA's investigation of Oregon. Didn't the NFL ban or suspend the Ohio State couch for his violations?

mike kennedy
01-20-2013, 10:18 PM
The package run by RGIII, Cam, Kaep you're referring to is "read" offense and/or "pistol" package, not "spread". And our 2012 defense--as inconsistent as it was throughout the season--was not exactly destroyed by Redskins, Panthers, or the multiple plays Kaep was in vs us in Oct.

These teams were effective in certain games during the year, true enough, but they weren't "unstoppable" by any means. They all lost games, and some were to us.

And to call into question Tuck's "manhood" is ****ing absurd, regardless of his fall off in production this year.

Not challenging his manhood but just wanting a much more vocal leader! All I heard from him all year was how great the opposing players for next week were. Him and OSi had them walking on water! YOu would never here LT, Banks or Carson say stuff like that before a game! They were out to kill!

gmen0820
01-20-2013, 10:21 PM
Patriots running that no-huddle into the ground.

McMVP
01-21-2013, 03:45 PM
Being from Arizona and following the Pac-12 a lot I do not think he will have much success at first. I am not saying he is a bad coach but he has benefited from an overwhelming talent pool at Oregon. Oregon gets the majority of the best players on the west coast due to all the endorsements and NFL level football facilities, its called Nike U for a reason. That being said, once he gets the players he wants he should do ok. Whether or not the egirls wait that long is another story.

Not exactly true....

http://bloggingthebeast.com/2013/01/18/so-chip-kelly-had-superior-talent-at-oregon-huh/

Trueblue4life
01-21-2013, 05:43 PM
Not exactly true....

http://bloggingthebeast.com/2013/01/18/so-chip-kelly-had-superior-talent-at-oregon-huh/

I see your point with that article but the article kind of implies they do not get a lot of talent. To say they do not get a lot of talent because their players are not ranked in the top 100 is false. He has always recruited for the scheme he wants to run which would rule out some players and he has always done well recruiting depth as well.

gmen46
01-21-2013, 07:00 PM
Not challenging his manhood but just wanting a much more vocal leader! All I heard from him all year was how great the opposing players for next week were. Him and OSi had them walking on water! YOu would never here LT, Banks or Carson say stuff like that before a game! They were out to kill!

To state the obvious, you're really grossly overstating how much Tuck and Osi had opposing players "walking on water". To my recollection, Tuck gave RGIII some respect in his remarks, something that he was not alone in doing this year, and something that is not a sign of weakness from one player that is going to face another player at least 2 times a year every year. Aside from giving props to Griffin, I certainly don't recall Tuck over praising opponents before every game as you suggest.

As for Osi, I thought he was atoning for his pre season "I'm calling him Bob until he proves himself" remarks about Griffin. Well, after several games into the season and after playing against him in their first match, Osi felt he should man up to his earlier remarks aimed at diminishing Griffin. Again, not a thing wrong with that. And certainly a sign of legitimate respect for a player who was clearly impressing everyone in the league--current and ex players alike, current and ex coaches alike--not any sign of weakness or "rolling over"..

mike kennedy
01-21-2013, 08:12 PM
To state the obvious, you're really grossly overstating how much Tuck and Osi had opposing players "walking on water". To my recollection, Tuck gave RGIII some respect in his remarks, something that he was not alone in doing this year, and something that is not a sign of weakness from one player that is going to face another player at least 2 times a year every year. Aside from giving props to Griffin, I certainly don't recall Tuck over praising opponents before every game as you suggest.

As for Osi, I thought he was atoning for his pre season "I'm calling him Bob until he proves himself" remarks about Griffin. Well, after several games into the season and after playing against him in their first match, Osi felt he should man up to his earlier remarks aimed at diminishing Griffin. Again, not a thing wrong with that. And certainly a sign of legitimate respect for a player who was clearly impressing everyone in the league--current and ex players alike, current and ex coaches alike--not any sign of weakness or "rolling over"..

OK Coach