PDA

View Full Version : alec ogeltree vs. manti te'o vs. kasheem greene vs. arthur brown,jr.

ELI_HOF_NYG
01-17-2013, 01:24 AM
I would love to see us walk away with one of these guys in the first round or 2..my hope is for Ogeltree but Greene is starting to grow on me. anybody have the skinny on Greene? opinions on the others? which fits what we do best? I also am a fan of andrew jackson, LB WKU, but he is going back for his senior season.

myles2424
01-17-2013, 02:21 AM
Add gerald hodges...

Buddy333
01-17-2013, 06:02 AM
Not sure where Greene will play in the NFL.

Carter.525
01-17-2013, 08:00 AM
MLB is the biggest need on this team.. my guess is Ogletree, see how he does at the combine..

TCHOF
01-17-2013, 08:19 AM
Ansah has the Giants written all over him.

Carter.525
01-17-2013, 08:31 AM
wonder how far Te'o will slide now..??

slipknottin
01-17-2013, 08:38 AM
MLB is the biggest need on this team.. my guess is Ogletree, see how he does at the combine..

I think outside linebacker may be a bigger need.

In the Tampa 2 the most important linebacker is the weak side backer. The giants have boley who just isn't physical and is declining, rivers who spent all season hurt and is a FA, and J Will who was hurt all season and had some struggles against the run as well. A dominant weak side backer would change this defense a ton. And J will could move to the other lb spot and be a sub package guy.

Favorite Lb for me in this draft is Arthur brown. Who I do think could eventually become a middle backer, but he has a very nice skill set for weak side too

PBTimmons
01-17-2013, 08:44 AM
Add gerald hodges...

As a PSU fan, I never saw much in Gerald Hodges. I'm under the impression that he played at 225 this year and is now up to 251 at the E/W shrine game. He doesn't have the "It" factor that Sean Lee, Bowman, and Poz had. Tackling and Coverage skills are very suspect.

Those thinking Te'o is going to slide over this supposed scandal are off the mark, IMO. Teams are probably going to laugh about it in the combine interviews and immediately move past it. I don't know what planet you guys are from but lying barely counts as a character concern compared to drugs and other crimes.

Favorite Lb for me in this draft is Arthur brown. Who I do think could eventually become a middle backer, but he has a very nice skill set for weak side too

Agreed. If they can shore up the DT position it would solve a lot of our problems in the middle of the defense. Arthur Brown looks good in coverage and wraps up well.

BlueSabbath
01-17-2013, 10:06 AM
Ogletree then Brown.... but it's close. It will be funny if we get Arthur Brown simply because of how long I've been watching and talking about him. He was one of the most impressive linebackers I had seen coming out of high school (seriously, hunt down his film).

Buddy333
01-17-2013, 10:15 AM
Get Brown so he can help stop his brother.

Kruunch
01-17-2013, 10:51 AM

In the Tampa 2 the most important linebacker is the weak side backer. The giants have boley who just isn't physical and is declining, rivers who spent all season hurt and is a FA, and J Will who was hurt all season and had some struggles against the run as well. A dominant weak side backer would change this defense a ton. And J will could move to the other lb spot and be a sub package guy.

Most important position in a Tampa 2 is the MLB not the WILL. MLB is the joker (from the typical MLB role). The WILL performs the same function in the Tampa 2. The MLB has to cover more ground (and gets dropped into coverage more) in a Tampa 2.

Ogletree could play either though imo. JWill could *not* play MIKE or SAM with any consistency. How do you put a guy who you say is weak against the run (and I agree ... JWill is not strong against the run) at the SAM or MIKE spots?!

Not sure Arthur Brown has the size for either the WILL (kind of short compared to Ogletree) or the MLB (light). At 6'1, I'm not sure how much more weight his frame could take and still sustain his speed which is one of his strong points.

Ogletree and Brown are currently ranked really close to each other but I have a feeling Ogletree will rise while Brown will stay around a mid to late 2nd rounder (meaning Brown might be available to us where Ogletree might not).

Kruunch
01-17-2013, 10:52 AM
Ansah has the Giants written all over him.

I think so too and I have a hard time seeing Reese picking an MLB in the first three rounds (although I think we need one).

nycsportzfan
01-17-2013, 11:01 AM
Add gerald hodges... Gerald Hodges is a sensational OLB prospect.. I am huge Ogletree, Greene, and Minter fans first and foremost, but have no problem with Brown, Hodges , and Red**** either.. Red**** had a monster season and really turned it on toward the end, had like 15.5 TFL or something...

nycsportzfan
01-17-2013, 11:03 AM
Most important position in a Tampa 2 is the MLB not the WILL. MLB is the joker (from the typical MLB role). The WILL performs the same function in the Tampa 2. The MLB has to cover more ground (and gets dropped into coverage more) in a Tampa 2.

Ogletree could play either though imo. JWill could *not* play MIKE or SAM with any consistency. How do you put a guy who you say is weak against the run (and I agree ... JWill is not strong against the run) at the SAM or MIKE spots?!

Not sure Arthur Brown has the size for either the WILL (kind of short compared to Ogletree) or the MLB (light). At 6'1, I'm not sure how much more weight his frame could take and still sustain his speed which is one of his strong points.

Ogletree and Brown are currently ranked really close to each other but I have a feeling Ogletree will rise while Brown will stay around a mid to late 2nd rounder (meaning Brown might be available to us where Ogletree might not). I think Brown is a WLB all day.. Hes not even listed at 230 for petes sake.. Hes also on the short side.. I'd rather have Brown at WLB, and maybe draft Kevin Red**** to play the middle in the 4th, if hes on the board still...

slipknottin
01-17-2013, 11:05 AM
Both the Will and Mike get dropped the same. The mike just has a deeper drop, while the will has more responsibilities against the run.

The will absolutely is more critical to have a great player.

The bucs, bears, vikings, colts, etc. When they were running the Tampa 2 all had tremendous Will backers.

Lance Briggs, Derrick brooks, chad Greenway, Cato June, etc. all are better than the middle backers on their teams apart from Briggs, though you could argue he is as good as Urlacher.

As for being too short, Lets see

Briggs - 6'1
Greenway - 6'2
Brooks - 6'0
June - 6'0

Arthur Brown is 6'1. So his size is not an issue in the least

As for J Will. He is a weak side backer as well. But now that he is up to 230+ he could play some Sam. He already spends a lot of his time on the field matched up against TEs

slipknottin
01-17-2013, 11:06 AM
I think Brown is a WLB all day.. Hes not even listed at 230 for petes sake.. Hes also on the short side.. I'd rather have Brown at WLB, and maybe draft Kevin Red**** to play the middle in the 4th, if hes on the board still...

He's listed at 231 on his college page.

nycsportzfan
01-17-2013, 11:13 AM
Both the Will and Mike get dropped the same. The mike just has a deeper drop, while the will has more responsibilities against the run.

The bucs, bears, vikings, colts, etc. When they were running the Tampa 2 all had tremendous Will backers.

Lance Briggs, Derrick brooks, chad Greenway, Cato June, etc. all are better than the middle backers on their teams apart from Briggs, though you could argue he is as good as Urlacher.

Briggs - 6'1
Greenway - 6'2
Brooks - 6'0
June - 6'0

As for J Will. He is a weak side backer as well. But now that he is up to 230+ he could play some Sam. He already spends a lot of his time on the field matched up against TEs The thing that scares me about Brown, is he reminds me alot of Jordan Dizon when he came out.. Almost identical prospects, but Dizon coulden't hold up in the pros, with that small body, and when all u do is make tackles, and ur body is that small, its kinda hard to make a living in the pros, and Brown is similar, as he dosen't make many plays, but makes a ton of tackles with his smallish bodytype.. 6ft 229lbs, is what i think he is..

How u can say Ogletree and Minter are small, and then act as if Browns WT is no issue at all, is a mystery to me?

Carter.525
01-17-2013, 11:17 AM
Ogletree is really growing on me.. I like the fact that he can cover and is a 3 down LB..

slipknottin
01-17-2013, 11:18 AM
The thing that scares me about Brown, is he reminds me alot of Jordan Dizon when he came out.. Almost identical prospects, but Dizon coulden't hold up in the pros, with that small body, and when all u do is make tackles, and ur body is that small, its kinda hard to make a living in the pros, and Brown is similar, as he dosen't make many plays, but makes a ton of tackles with his smallish bodytype.. 6ft 229lbs, is what i think he is..

How u can say Ogletree and Minter are small, and then act as if Browns WT is no issue at all, is a mystery to me?

He's listed at 6'1 231.
Same size as Lavonte David

And ogletree is small for his frame. He's 6'3 so he should be 245+
Minter is short. Probably under 6'.

And t he bigger issue with size is the position. Minter would be ok probably as a weakside backer with his size. But not as a mike. And I don't think minter has the skill set to play outside.

Ogletree could eventually fit as a mike. But he needs to gain 15+ pounds

nycsportzfan
01-17-2013, 11:19 AM
Alec Ogletree has a frame to add weight, and has extreme athletic ability(gurantee he destorys the combine for LB prospects), and makes more plays, lead his team in tackles despite missing 4games, has played Saftey before, which to me is a added plus, if for no other reason but to have more perspective on other positons on the field..etc This guy could easily be a 6ft 3in 240lb athletic playmaking machine in a yr or 2...

If i'm picking a LB , its gotta go lke this

Ogletree
Greene
Minter
Brown
Red****/Hodges

Thats the way i personally value the LB's...

BlueSanta
01-17-2013, 11:23 AM
Ogletree
Greene
Minter
Brown
Red****/Hodges

Good list. I might actually move Minter above Greene if he passes the measuables test at he combine. I think he has the leadership edge. I like them both tho.

slipknottin
01-17-2013, 11:24 AM
I'm still just not convinced with ogletree. He has upside. But he is not a middle backer in the nfl right now. He's light, he plays light, he can't shed.

It's completely a potential project pick with ogletree.

nycsportzfan
01-17-2013, 11:25 AM
Ogletree is really growing on me.. I like the fact that he can cover and is a 3 down LB.. Khaseem Greene also can cover some, but not like Ogletree.. I'm telling u, Khaseem Greene will grow on u, if u watch more of him, and research em more.. I'm almost willing to give the Sportzfan gurantee on him being a great pro, hes that kinda good.... Ogletree and Greene are sensational players....

nycsportzfan
01-17-2013, 11:29 AM
I'm still just not convinced with ogletree. He has upside. But he is not a middle backer in the nfl right now. He's light, he plays light, he can't shed.

It's completely a potential project pick with ogletree. Hes freaking 6ft 3in 232lbs dude! I mean, obviously with that frame and athletic ability, gaining 5-10lbs should be of no issue, while maintaining his athletic ability, and he is in on like every play. He avg'd more tackles per game then Brown, he made more sacks then brown, he defended more passes then brown, and all this while missing 4games in the rugged SEC... Ogletree gets to face beast running backs on a weekly basis with ridiculous offensive lineman and comes out making plays and tackles left and right... Brown has faced ACC and BIG12 RB's and olineman, who are very good, but no match for the SEC teams... I like what Ogletree has going for em, much more then Brown.. I like what Ogletree has accomplished while missing 4games more then what Brown has.. And to be honest, it comes down to what u do on the field more then anything.. Ogletree is more of a diffrence maker then maybe any other LB in this draft, thats fit for a 4/3 defense...

nycsportzfan
01-17-2013, 11:32 AM
Hence why Ogletree has missed 4games and flew up draft boards and into almost guranteed 1st rd status and ahead of Arthur Brown in the blink of a e eye, and hes only a jr! Trust me, it isn't all potential, or were talking 3rd rd at best, see Jelani Jenkins, this kids earned his grade, and yes, when u put in the fact hes doing what hes doing while playing a new positon and producing like he has all ready with that immense upside, its a no brainer... Ogletree is a better prospect then Arthur Brown...

slipknottin
01-17-2013, 11:35 AM
Again you go right to the stats like they prove anything.

Watch him play. Watch how rarely any OL get to him.

You keep anyone completely free most of the game up near the line and he will have huge numbers

Ogletree will have to move to weakside and be well protected at least for awhile. If he can learn to play more physically, actually use his hands once in awhile, and gain weight, then he can be a mike.

But he runs around like a zombie and he's fortunate to never have to fight through blockers.

BlueSabbath
01-17-2013, 11:43 AM
Alec Ogletree has a frame to add weight, and has extreme athletic ability(gurantee he destorys the combine for LB prospects), and makes more plays, lead his team in tackles despite missing 4games, has played Saftey before, which to me is a added plus, if for no other reason but to have more perspective on other positons on the field..etc This guy could easily be a 6ft 3in 240lb athletic playmaking machine in a yr or 2...

If i'm picking a LB , its gotta go lke this

Ogletree
Greene
Minter
Brown
Red****/Hodges

I would go:
Ogletree

Minter/Johnson
Brown
Red****
Greene/Porter

*I'm still looking at Greene.. I'm not as familiar with him as I am some of these others... so he may move up as I watch his film. I'm VERY familiar with Ogletree, Minter and Brown. Been watching these guys since they first stepped onto a college field. I'll say this, with Brown sometimes you have to look for him in a game. With Ogletree, you don't have to look... he jumps out. With Minter, I wasn't really impressed with him until this year but he had a great year and turned out being a much better prospect than I thought he would. My guess is that he's going to measure out a lot slower than Ogletree than Brown.

Kruunch
01-17-2013, 12:07 PM

Hence the MIKE has to cover more ground.

Urlacher is a much better LB than Briggs (over the course of their careers) and is much more integral to the Bears defense.

Chad Greenway is a SAM and I'm not sure you can make the case that he's better than E.J. Henderson was for that team at this point. E.J. Henderson certainly meant more to the Vikings than Greenway did.

Cato June currently plays SAM as well (transitioned two years ago when he went to Tampa).

And having a good WILL (or better WILL than MIKE) is not an indication of priority, but rather how your personnel choices worked out.

Briggs - 6'1
Greenway - 6'2
Brooks - 6'0
June - 6'0

I meant compared to Ogletree. All things being equal, who would you rather have at WILL ... the 6'3 guy or the 6'1 guy?

As for J Will. He is a weak side backer as well. But now that he is up to 230+ he could play some Sam. He already spends a lot of his time on the field matched up against TEs

Not sure he could play SAM. As you've pointed out, he's not strong enough at the point of attack. And nowhere do I see him listed larger than 225 lb (was 220 when drafted, and 215 throughout most of his college career).

And while I like Arthur Brown on tape, odds are that he's not the next Derrick Brooks.

Keep in mind that I like both Brown and Ogletree. I just think Ogletree translates better than Brown and fills a potential need more. Having said that, I thought Vontaze Burfict was going to be garbage and look how he's turning out. So I readily admit to being awful at judging college talent in translation. :D

BlueSabbath
01-17-2013, 01:25 PM
A guy to keep an eye on a little later in the draft is Nico Johnson. 5* out of high school and had a solid but quiet career at Alabama (freshman All SEC). His biggest problems were the amount of talent surrounding him. I'm not convinced a guy like Minter would be that much better than Johnson and you could get him later. At Alabama he was more of a run stopping linebacker, while Mosley was more of a passing down LB but he still moves REALLY well for his size and rarely gets knocked back. Another guy I'd be REALLY happy to land.

junior highlights:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJBTRPyY5lw

nycsportzfan
01-17-2013, 07:58 PM
Again you go right to the stats like they prove anything.

Watch him play. Watch how rarely any OL get to him.

You keep anyone completely free most of the game up near the line and he will have huge numbers

Ogletree will have to move to weakside and be well protected at least for awhile. If he can learn to play more physically, actually use his hands once in awhile, and gain weight, then he can be a mike.

But he runs around like a zombie and he's fortunate to never have to fight through blockers. I have watched em play.. I've watched em one on one just dismantle Eddie Lacy at the goalline and pick up and drive TJ Yeldon into the ground 1on1... So what if he has to get alittle better at Shedding blocks, no ones perfect.. The guys got way much more going for em then Arhtur Brown does... Its not just stats.. Its athletic ability, its versatility, its frame to add weight, its playmaking ability, its everything! Ogletree is gonna be a stud in the NFL...

nycsportzfan
01-17-2013, 07:59 PM

Urlacher is a much better LB than Briggs (over the course of their careers) and is much more integral to the Bears defense.

Chad Greenway is a SAM and I'm not sure you can make the case that he's better than E.J. Henderson was for that team at this point. E.J. Henderson certainly meant more to the Vikings than Greenway did.

Cato June currently plays SAM as well (transitioned two years ago when he went to Tampa).

And having a good WILL (or better WILL than MIKE) is not an indication of priority, but rather how your personnel choices worked out.

I meant compared to Ogletree. All things being equal, who would you rather have at WILL ... the 6'3 guy or the 6'1 guy?

Not sure he could play SAM. As you've pointed out, he's not strong enough at the point of attack. And nowhere do I see him listed larger than 225 lb (was 220 when drafted, and 215 throughout most of his college career).

And while I like Arthur Brown on tape, odds are that he's not the next Derrick Brooks.

Keep in mind that I like both Brown and Ogletree. I just think Ogletree translates better than Brown and fills a potential need more. Having said that, I thought Vontaze Burfict was going to be garbage and look how he's turning out. So I readily admit to being awful at judging college talent in translation. :D Ya, chances are hes more Jordan Dizon then he is Derrick Brooks...lol Nah, i really like Arthur Brown alot, but not when compared to Khaseem Greene and Alec Ogletree, or even Kevin Minter for thart matter..

slipknottin
01-17-2013, 08:09 PM

But isnt the more important player. Just has to be able to drop deep.

Not really, they are comparable at the minimum. 7x probowl is pretty damn good.

They were all Weakside backers. Some teams flip the names, and a lot of teams their OLBs play both sides.

Everything isnt equal. They are very different players. Brown is far more physical. And at weakside I dont care much if a guy is 6'1 or 6'3.

https://twitter.com/RVacchianoNYDN/status/231052899025821696

Never said he would be. I was comparing physical size. There are a LOT of really good linebackers in the NFL who in the 6'1 235 range. Bowman- 6'0 and 240. Willis 6'1 240. Even Ray Lewis is 6'1 240. And if we are going to have an argument about Brown gaining like 5 pounds, thats not exactly significant.

Keep in mind that I like both Brown and Ogletree. I just think Ogletree translates better than Brown and fills a potential need more.

I think Ogletree is a projection. He is not physical enough or good enough with his hands to be a middle linebacker right now. Is that a skill he will acquire quickly with coaching? Im not so sure it is. Im not sure its a skill he could ever acquire at all.

Brown is much more of a finished product. He still obviously has tons to learn, but he could step in week 1 and be an effective player.

Shockeystays08
01-17-2013, 08:43 PM
A guy to keep an eye on a little later in the draft is Nico Johnson. 5* out of high school and had a solid but quiet career at Alabama (freshman All SEC). His biggest problems were the amount of talent surrounding him. I'm not convinced a guy like Minter would be that much better than Johnson and you could get him later. At Alabama he was more of a run stopping linebacker, while Mosley was more of a passing down LB but he still moves REALLY well for his size and rarely gets knocked back. Another guy I'd be REALLY happy to land.

junior highlights:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJBTRPyY5lw

+1 You hit that nail on the head!

Buddy333
01-17-2013, 09:57 PM
What round is Brown being projected at now?

Carter.525
01-17-2013, 10:13 PM
What round is Brown being projected at now?

this is one guy Ive seen all over the place 1st, 2nd & 3rd.. I'd say 2nd

nycsportzfan
01-17-2013, 10:25 PM
Ur right everything isn't equal, Ogletree makes more plays, is more athletic, is inovled in more plays and will be more of a diffrence maker, which is what u want from ur early rd players. Not to mention, Ogletrees potential is through the roof, and hes all ready really good.. If its even close, the fact that Ogletree has seamlessly moved to LB and has little expierence there and is all ready very good, with high potential, is the deal breaker..

U gotta be the only one slip who would debate Ogletree and Brown.. Ogletree is all ready a 1st rd talent as a jr, and would probably only have his stock grow if he went back to school, adn Brown is a 2nd rd, possibly early 3rd rd prospect as a SR...

nycsportzfan
01-17-2013, 10:26 PM
this is one guy Ive seen all over the place 1st, 2nd & 3rd.. I'd say 2nd 1st? Where have u seen Arthur Brown as a 1st rd prospect? I've seen em 2nd and early 3rd.. Hes a 2nd rd guy, who isn't going in RD1... Ogletrees a 1st rd guy , whos stock gonna fly when he goes to the combine...

Carter.525
01-17-2013, 10:28 PM
1st? Where have u seen Arthur Brown as a 1st rd prospect? I've seen em 2nd and early 3rd.. Hes a 2nd rd guy, who isn't going in RD1... Ogletrees a 1st rd guy , whos stock gonna fly when he goes to the combine...

dont remember.. but I have seen Brown before at the end of the 1st..

slipknottin
01-17-2013, 10:45 PM
Ur right everything isn't equal, Ogletree makes more plays, is more athletic, is inovled in more plays and will be more of a diffrence maker, which is what u want from ur early rd players. Not to mention, Ogletrees potential is through the roof, and hes all ready really good.. If its even close, the fact that Ogletree has seamlessly moved to LB and has little expierence there and is all ready very good, with high potential, is the deal breaker..

U gotta be the only one slip who would debate Ogletree and Brown.. Ogletree is all ready a 1st rd talent as a jr, and would probably only have his stock grow if he went back to school, adn Brown is a 2nd rd, possibly early 3rd rd prospect as a SR...

It just amuses me that you get so attached to these prospects that you can never find a fault with them.

Ogletree is a shoe in for the hall of fame, clearly, by your comments. He does everything incredibly well, shedding blocks and using his hands is totally unimportant, and by the time of the combine he will be better than Ray Lewis.

Dont be surprised if Ogletree doesnt go in the first. It wouldnt surprise me.

slipknottin
01-17-2013, 10:46 PM
dont remember.. but I have seen Brown before at the end of the 1st..

Yea, Brown is a late 1st to mid 2nd. Somewhere in that range. Same range for Ogletree, and probably Te'o now too.

Greene is another one in that range.

myles2424
01-17-2013, 10:48 PM
It just amuses me that you get so attached to these prospects that you can never find a fault with them.

Ogletree is a shoe in for the hall of fame, clearly, by your comments. He does everything incredibly well, shedding blocks and using his hands is totally unimportant, and by the time of the combine he will be better than Ray Lewis.

Dont be surprised if Ogletree doesnt go in the first. It wouldnt surprise me.

I agree...people always overrate guys every year & then have to nerve to talk about us taking a 1st/2nd round talent in like the 4th round....but anyways, I know one things forsure,after the 2nd round the LB talent drops....gMen have to make that move this draft

GOBLUE24
01-17-2013, 11:26 PM
The giants need to get quicker at lb with the style of offenses that NFC east is going too. Ogeltree and green for me now that Kelly is in Philly. Minter and Johnson in high on but coverage may be an issue. Old school type w minter/Johnson.

nycsportzfan
01-18-2013, 06:41 AM

Dont be surprised if Ogletree doesnt go in the first. It wouldnt surprise me. Ogletrees going in the 1st, and when he does, it'll be u backtracking that u like em and..etc ... And hes perdicted to go mostly in th 19-28 range, not late 1st - mid 2nd as u suggested... I'll gurantee he goes in the first.. The only one i was wrong on a gurantee was Akeem Ayers, who has ended up being a really productive all around player for the titans...

And no, this has nothing to do with finding faults, but simply comparing Ogletree to Arthur Brown.. A shoe in for the HOF becuase i said hes better prospect then Arthur Brown??lol He is! THis is football man, u act like all these LB's aren't physical players.. Its not a sport u can sit around and not get dirty and have to make physical plays all the time.. All u can do, is go to he dosen't get off blocks from Olineman that well, like Arthur Brown blows through Offensivelineman left and right or something? The bottom line is Ogletree makes more plays, has more upside, makes hard hits almost every game, can stop a runner at the goalline by himself, is good in coverge, has some versatility, and has a frame to add plenty more weight and keep his athletiscim..

Its just sometimes, u seem to like to make the debate about "wow, look what i said" , more so then its pretty clear as day.. Whenever people see something more clear as day, u pretty much chime in with there wrong... Ogletree is a much more touted prospect then Arthur Brown is, and to be honest, i'll be surprised if Arthur Brown goes before the end of RD 2.. Khaseem Greene will go before him, as will Ogletree, and proably Minter... And for good reason... Now, i love arthur brown, and if we get em, i'll be stoked, and i'm not gonna knock his game to try to make my point like you, as hes a good prospect no doubt, but Ogletree has done more in less time , and has more potential while all ready being really good.. Theres no denying that...

nycsportzfan
01-18-2013, 06:47 AM
Heres a Quote from Mel Kiper who has Ogletree going to Tampa Bay in RD 1... He makes a good point, put Ogletree behind a formidable Dline, and hes gonna be insane..

He missed the first four games of 2012, but once Ogletree stepped onto the field for the Bulldogs, the defense was immediately better. If you saw Georgia and Alabama in the SEC championship game, perhaps no player made a bigger statement than Ogletree, who looked like the best player on the field that day (which says plenty). He covers the field from sideline to sideline, and I think could play anywhere at linebacker effectively. Line him up behind an emerging defensive line and next to Lavonte David and Mason Foster at linebacker, and this is an extremely formidable front seven for Greg Schiano.

nycsportzfan
01-18-2013, 06:56 AM
Find me one mock thats got Arthur Brown going in RD1? And find me one thats got Alec Ogletree not going in RD1? Also, what do u thinks gonna happen when Combine comes and Ogletree light it up? U think his stocks gonna fall? Almost every one of these mocks has Greene, Ogletree, Minter, and Te'O all going before Arthur Brown.. I've looke at about 100mocks in the past several months, and never once did i see Brown going in RD1.. Also, i remember when Ogletree wasen't perdicted to go in RD1, and i said, man if this kid goes to teh draft, hes going in RD 1..

He compensates for not being teh best at getting around blocks, with speed, athletic ability , and range.. He also has great coverge ability with awesome length and room to pack on more weight....

Click here for my 2012 NFL Mock Draft Database and here for my 2013 NBA Mock Draft Database.

NFL Mock Draft Site Date No. 1 No. 2 No. 3 No. 4 No. 5
WalterFootball.com: Charlie Campbell's 2013 NFL Mock Draft 1/18 G.Smith S.Lotulelei D.Moore L.Joeckel B.Werner
Fanspeak: Willy 1/18 S.Lotulelei B.Werner J.Jones L.Joeckel D.Milliner
New Sport Draft: Maestro 1/18 S.Lotulelei J.Jones J.Hankins D.Milliner L.Joeckel
Draft Countdown 1/18 L.Joeckel J.Jones S.Lotulelei D.Moore D.Milliner
Expert Mock Draft 1/18 G.Smith D.Moore J.Jones L.Joeckel D.Milliner
Heff's Sports Blog: Adam 1/18 B.Werner D.Moore S.Lotulelei L.Joeckel D.Milliner
New NFL Draft: Omar 1/18 G.Smith D.Moore S.Lotulelei L.Joeckel B.Werner
The Sports Hound 1/18 G.Smith S.Lotulelei D.Milliner J.Jones B.Werner
DraftCalc 1/18 G.Smith J.Jones M.Barkley L.Joeckel M.Te'o
B-Flo 360 1/18 G.Smith J.Jones S.Lotulelei L.Joeckel D.Moore
New NFL Draft: Jared 1/18 G.Smith S.Lotulelei D.Moore L.Joeckel D.Milliner
Draft Debacled: Zappa 1/17 L.Joeckel D.Moore S.Lotulelei G.Smith B.Werner
NFL's Future 1/17 G.Smith B.Werner D.Moore L.Joeckel D.Milliner
Draft Debacled: Buggsbunny 1/17 G.Smith D.Moore S.Lotulelei D.Jordan L.Joeckel
Guys NFL Draft Locker Room 1/17 G.Smith J.Jones S.Lotulelei L.Joeckel D.Moore
New NFL Draft: Hunter 1/17 L.Joeckel D.Moore S.Lotulelei G.Smith B.Werner
Next Era NFL 1/17 S.Lotulelei J.Jones B.Werner E.Fisher D.Milliner
Draft Utopia 1/17 G.Smith J.Jones D.Moore L.Joeckel B.Werner
New NFL Draft: Tyler 1/17 L.Joeckel D.Moore S.Lotulelei G.Smith B.Werner
Draft Tek: Consensus 1/17 G.Smith B.Werner D.Milliner S.Lotulelei D.Jordan
Buffalo Bills Draft: Eric 1/17 G.Smith J.Jones S.Lotulelei L.Joeckel B.Werner
Eat, Drink and Sleep Football: Hanson's 2014 1/17 J.Clowney T.Bridgewater J.Matthews M.Lee T.Lewan
New NFL Draft: CJ 1/17 G.Smith D.Moore S.Richardson L.Joeckel D.Milliner
WalterFootball.com: 2013 NFL Mock Draft 1/16 G.Smith J.Jones S.Lotulelei L.Joeckel D.Moore
Draft Season: Lomas 1/16 G.Smith D.Moore L.Joeckel T.Lewan B.Werner
ESPN.com: Kiper 1/16 L.Joeckel D.Moore S.Lotulelei D.Milliner J.Jones
Draft King 1/16 G.Smith J.Jones S.Lotulelei D.Moore B.Werner
Heff's Sports Blog: Jacob 1/16 L.Joeckel J.Jones S.Lotulelei D.Milliner B.Werner
College Sports Madness: Levine 1/16 L.Joeckel J.Jones B.Werner B.Jones S.Lotulelei
CBS: Rang 1/16 L.Joeckel S.Lotulelei J.Jones G.Smith B.Werner
Your NFL Draft 1/16 G.Smith D.Moore J.Jones L.Joeckel D.Milliner
NFL Trade Rumors 1/16 G.Smith D.Moore S.Lotulelei L.Joeckel B.Werner
Eat, Drink and Sleep Football: Hanson's 2013 1/16 G.Smith J.Jones S.Lotulelei L.Joeckel B.Werner
Extra Point 1/16 G.Smith B.Werner D.Milliner S.Lotulelei L.Joeckel
CBS: Brugler 1/16 G.Smith B.Werner B.Mingo L.Joeckel D.Moore
New NFL Draft: Orinda 1/16 G.Smith J.Jones S.Lotulelei L.Joeckel B.Werner
Draft Debacled: Burnham73 1/16 G.Smith J.Jones L.Joeckel D.Milliner D.Moore
Draft Debacled: Casey 1/15 L.Joeckel J.Jones S.Lotulelei D.Milliner B.Werner
The Sports Bank 1/15 G.Smith J.Jones S.Lotulelei L.Joeckel D.Milliner
Pro Football 4 Me 1/15 G.Smith J.Jones S.Lotulelei L.Joeckel D.Moore
My NFL Draft 1/15 G.Smith J.Jones S.Lotulelei L.Joeckel D.Moore
Matpolrak 2013 Mock 1/15 L.Joeckel S.Lotulelei D.Moore G.Smith B.Werner
New NFL Draft: Santos 1/15 L.Joeckel S.Lotulelei D.Milliner G.Smith B.Werner
NFL's Future: Profetta 1/15 G.Smith L.Joeckel D.Moore S.Lotulelei D.Milliner
NY Jets Draft: Alfieri 1/15 G.Smith S.Lotulelei T.Wilson L.Joeckel D.Milliner
New NFL Draft: Cal 1/15 L.Joeckel D.Moore G.Smith C.Warmack B.Werner
U-T San Diego 1/14 S.Lotulelei J.Jones B.Werner L.Joeckel D.Milliner
Fanspeak: Steve 1/14 G.Smith J.Jones B.Mingo L.Joeckel D.Milliner
Heff's Sports Blog: Matt 1/14 G.Smith D.Moore S.Lotulelei L.Joeckel B.Werner
Draft Debacled: Bball37 1/14 M.Glennon D.Moore S.Lotulelei L.Joeckel B.Werner
SB Nation: Kadar 1/14 G.Smith S.Lotulelei B.Werner L.Joeckel D.Moore
JTW Mock 1/14 G.Smith J.Jones S.Lotulelei L.Joeckel D.Moore
NFL Draft Chat 1/14 G.Smith S.Lotulelei J.Jones L.Joeckel D.Moore
Fan Sided: Sanchez 1/14 G.Smith B.Werner D.Moore L.Joeckel D.Milliner
NE Patriots Draft 1/14 G.Smith B.Mingo S.Richardson L.Joeckel D.Moore
Prospect Central 1/14 G.Smith J.Jones S.Lotulelei L.Joeckel D.Moore
NBA Draft Guru 1/14 L.Joeckel J.Jones S.Lotulelei G.Smith B.Werner
Sports Jabber 1/14 G.Smith J.Jones D.Moore L.Joeckel B.Werner
Draft Season: Onebar 1/14 G.Smith J.Jones S.Lotulelei L.Joeckel D.Moore
Side Lion Report: Snyder 1/14 G.Smith B.Werner S.Lotulelei L.Joeckel D.Moore
New NFL Draft: Peter 1/14 M.Barkley S.Lotulelei M.Te'o D.Milliner X.Rhodes
Football Fan Spot 1/13 G.Smith J.Jones S.Lotulelei L.Joeckel D.Moore
Draft Debacled: ChaCha 1/13 G.Smith B.Werner D.Moore L.Joeckel D.Milliner
Pigskin Heaven: Smith 1/13 G.Smith B.Werner S.Lotulelei L.Joeckel D.Milliner
Football Draft Analysis 1/13 L.Joeckel B.Werner S.Lotulelei G.Smith D.Moore
Eagles Mock 1/13 G.Smith D.Moore S.Lotulelei L.Joeckel D.Milliner
Draft Debacled: Jellis121 1/13 G.Smith D.Moore M.Te'o L.Joeckel J.Jones
NFL Draft Geek 1/12 L.Joeckel J.Jones S.Lotulelei D.Milliner D.Moore
Scout the Seahawks 1/11 G.Smith B.Werner B.Mingo L.Joeckel D.Moore
The Saratogian 1/11 L.Joeckel J.Jones S.Lotulelei D.Milliner D.Moore
Draft Debacled: Kilo 1/11 L.Joeckel B.Werner S.Lotulelei D.Milliner D.Moore
NE Patriots Draft: Jones 1/10 G.Smith S.Lotulelei J.Jones D.Milliner B.Werner
NFL Pro Zach: The Professor 1/10 M.Glennon J.Jones S.Lotulelei L.Joeckel D.Moore
Draft Debacled: Dougula 1/10 G.Smith S.Lotulelei D.Moore L.Joeckel D.Milliner
Draft Debacled: Mr. Mock 1/10 L.Joeckel G.Smith S.Lotulelei D.Milliner D.Moore
Turfsharks 1/10 G.Smith D.Moore J.Jones L.Joeckel D.Milliner
Draft Site's 2014 1/10 J.Clowney T.Lewan T.Bridgewater D.Thomas M.Lee
NFL Draft Room 1/9 G.Smith J.Jones S.Lotulelei L.Joeckel D.Milliner
Side Lion Report: Shackelford 1/9 G.Smith J.Jones B.Werner L.Joeckel D.Milliner
Draft Debacled: Jawnyblaze 1/8 L.Joeckel S.Lotulelei M.Te'o D.Moore D.Milliner
Vikings Territory 1/8 G.Smith B.Werner M.Barkley L.Joeckel M.Te'o
Detroit Lions Draft: Risdon 1/8 G.Smith D.Moore B.Mingo D.Milliner D.Jordan
NE Patriots Draft: Hope 1/8 T.Wilson J.Jones M.Te'o L.Joeckel B.Werner
Draft Season: Ultimate 1/7 G.Smith J.Jones L.Joeckel M.Te'o B.Werner
Fan Sided: Hill 1/7 L.Joeckel D.Moore J.Jones T.Lewan B.Werner
Real Sports Hype's 2013 1/7

nycsportzfan
01-18-2013, 07:14 AM
I agree...people always overrate guys every year & then have to nerve to talk about us taking a 1st/2nd round talent in like the 4th round....but anyways, I know one things forsure,after the 2nd round the LB talent drops....gMen have to make that move this draft What the GMEN should do is try and trade down and secure extra picks in this draft.. Like i said before, u got all these underclassmen declaring(now a record!) and 2teams missing picks in RD2(browns for Supplamental drafting of Josh Gordon and Saints for Bountygate)..

And then as u said, add a Khaseem Greene, Arthur Brown, Kevin Minter or whoever is there in RD2.. After watching Sean Weatherspoon, Patrick WIllis, Luke Kuechly, Bobby Wagner, Navarro Bowman, Ray Lewis, Chad Greenway, Brian Cushing, Vontaze Burfict, Clay Matthews, Akeem Dent, Jerod Mayo, and on and on, do big things for there teams, who are all in the postsason minus Kuechly, whos panthers defense went night and day when he went ot MLB.. THey ended up being like 4th in the league in Total defense from the time he went to MLB for carolina.. Obviously some of these guys are straight up pass rushers , but still technically LB's, and most have SLB size in a 4/3 anyhow, and are undersized for DE in a 4/3...

My point is this, we need to add one of these dynamic LB's in the first couple rds if possible.. If not, we gotta secure Gerald Hodges or Kevin Red**** at least.. See, in a perfect world, i'd like to add picks, and maybe get a Greene and Ogletree, or a Brown and Red****, or some combonation fo 2 LBs, one inside and one out... But we have other needs, so drafting for extra picks would be a great idea in my opinon..

Redeyejedi
01-18-2013, 10:12 AM
Yea, Brown is a late 1st to mid 2nd. Somewhere in that range. Same range for Ogletree, and probably Te'o now too.

Greene is another one in that range.I think Brown is about the prospect Lavonte David was last year

BlueSabbath
01-18-2013, 10:22 AM
What the GMEN should do is try and trade down and secure extra picks in this draft.. Like i said before, u got all these underclassmen declaring(now a record!) and 2teams missing picks in RD2(browns for Supplamental drafting of Josh Gordon and Saints for Bountygate)..

And then as u said, add a Khaseem Greene, Arthur Brown, Kevin Minter or whoever is there in RD2.. After watching Sean Weatherspoon, Patrick WIllis, Luke Kuechly, Bobby Wagner, Navarro Bowman, Ray Lewis, Chad Greenway, Brian Cushing, Vontaze Burfict, Clay Matthews, Akeem Dent, Jerod Mayo, and on and on, do big things for there teams, who are all in the postsason minus Kuechly, whos panthers defense went night and day when he went ot MLB.. THey ended up being like 4th in the league in Total defense from the time he went to MLB for carolina.. Obviously some of these guys are straight up pass rushers , but still technically LB's, and most have SLB size in a 4/3 anyhow, and are undersized for DE in a 4/3...

My point is this, we need to add one of these dynamic LB's in the first couple rds if possible.. If not, we gotta secure Gerald Hodges or Kevin Red**** at least.. See, in a perfect world, i'd like to add picks, and maybe get a Greene and Ogletree, or a Brown and Red****, or some combonation fo 2 LBs, one inside and one out... But we have other needs, so drafting for extra picks would be a great idea in my opinon..

Good post. On a sidenote... I remember campaigning on these messageboards for Navorro Bowman BIG TIME back in the day. Really wanted him.

Redeyejedi
01-18-2013, 10:22 AM
Ogletrees going in the 1st, and when he does, it'll be u backtracking that u like em and..etc ... And hes perdicted to go mostly in th 19-28 range, not late 1st - mid 2nd as u suggested... I'll gurantee he goes in the first.. The only one i was wrong on a gurantee was Akeem Ayers, who has ended up being a really productive all around player for the titans...

And no, this has nothing to do with finding faults, but simply comparing Ogletree to Arthur Brown.. A shoe in for the HOF becuase i said hes better prospect then Arthur Brown??lol He is! THis is football man, u act like all these LB's aren't physical players.. Its not a sport u can sit around and not get dirty and have to make physical plays all the time.. All u can do, is go to he dosen't get off blocks from Olineman that well, like Arthur Brown blows through Offensivelineman left and right or something? The bottom line is Ogletree makes more plays, has more upside, makes hard hits almost every game, can stop a runner at the goalline by himself, is good in coverge, has some versatility, and has a frame to add plenty more weight and keep his athletiscim..

Its just sometimes, u seem to like to make the debate about "wow, look what i said" , more so then its pretty clear as day.. Whenever people see something more clear as day, u pretty much chime in with there wrong... Ogletree is a much more touted prospect then Arthur Brown is, and to be honest, i'll be surprised if Arthur Brown goes before the end of RD 2.. Khaseem Greene will go before him, as will Ogletree, and proably Minter... And for good reason... Now, i love arthur brown, and if we get em, i'll be stoked, and i'm not gonna knock his game to try to make my point like you, as hes a good prospect no doubt, but Ogletree has done more in less time , and has more potential while all ready being really good.. Theres no denying that...
The only thing he said is he doesnt shed blocks well and avoids lineman which is True. No 1 is discounting that he cant be a good NFL player.Just because he is pointing out a flaw doesnt mean he dislikes him as a prospect. Saying he is an early 2nd round pick instead of a Top 25 pick isnt an insult or personal attack.Players that get drafted from 25-40,45 are pretty much the same level of prospect anyway at least in my opinion they are

quan the don
01-18-2013, 10:31 AM
I'm by no means an expert, but I just watched Ogeltree vs Nebraska and he wasn't all that impressive (It sounds like he showed his potential vs Bama so I'll watch that). I just got watching Brown vs Miami, and he looked really good. Once again only two videos I've seen of either. Arthur Brown just seems way more agressive.

nycsportzfan
01-18-2013, 10:33 AM
I think Brown is about the prospect Lavonte David was last year
David was way more productive and impacted games more then Arthur Brown... I know u guys hate stats, but David had over 130tackles, 5.5sacks, 2FF, 2FR, 13TFL, 2INTS..etc Brown had a stretch of 7straight games he didn't reach double digits in tackles which guys like Ogletree and David never came near...

Thats what i don't get, is if Brown is so much better then Ogletree, and Ogletrees not good at geting off blocks, why does he get way more tackles, way more TFL, more sacks, more everything? Wheres the benefit of whatever arthur brown is doing better then ogletree?

Also, if hes as good as David, then whats the point of David making so many more plays, behind teh line and in coverege?

WHy does Brown get all these accolades from you guys, when hes a undersized, non playmaking, dosen't rack up tackles like you would think, LB?

The more i look into Arthur Brown, the less i like... I liked em alot untill really delving into video and production.. For a guy who played in everygame, he rarley impacted the game, and wasen't all over the field making tackles either...

He only had 4 games of double digit tackles.. Lavonte David had like 10 or something... Ogletree had 7 and he missed 4games.. They also have more plays made as well, in covereg and behind the line.. I'm not getting why there in the same ball park to u guys? Is it what u guys think hes gonna turn into?

Redeyejedi
01-18-2013, 10:35 AM
I'm by no means an expert, but I just watched Ogeltree vs Nebraska and he wasn't all that impressive (It sounds like he showed his potential vs Bama so I'll watch that). I just got watching Brown vs Miami, and he looked really good. Once again only two videos I've seen of either. Arthur Brown just seems way more agressive.

Arthur Brown on the bottom there are more links to games

http://draftbreakdown.com/arthur-brown-vs-texas-2012

Ogletree same deal on the bottom done a lot more on him

http://draftbreakdown.com/alec-ogletree-vs-nebraska-capital-one-bowl

quan the don
01-18-2013, 10:38 AM
Arthur Brown on the bottom there are more links to games

http://draftbreakdown.com/arthur-brown-vs-texas-2012

Ogletree same deal on the bottom done a lot more on him

http://draftbreakdown.com/alec-ogletree-vs-nebraska-capital-one-bowl
Awesome. How did Brown do against Oregon in the bowl game? It would be interesting to see how did against a Chip Kelly Offense.

quan the don
01-18-2013, 10:46 AM
Watching Brown vs Baylor, and RG3 is so annoying. 3:35 brought joy to my heart!

TheEnigma
01-18-2013, 11:03 AM
Just watched the Ogletree and Brown videos posted in the film room and here's my take on those two based on that tape

Brown - Made the more consistent plays in the run game but didn't have to deal with blockers on the frequency Ogletree did vs. Nebraska. He does seem to have better instincts than Ogletree as of now but I do worry about this guy way more than Ogletree in the future handling NFL caliber run games in the event his Dline doesn't keep him consistently clean. He displayed good discipline too and being completely honest, I'd rather have Brown on my team for a game TOMORROW.

Ogletree - He looked lost at times and was "erased" on some plays due to his Dline getting pushed around on the interior. What stood out to me was the flash plays he made by making a scrapy move on the ball in a 3rd and short situation to cause a forced fumble and it was at a very crucial moment. Don't forget the sack he had to close the game. He also can obviously put on another 10lbs and not lose any speed to affect his playmaking ability sideline to sideline.

Conclusion: Brown looks like he can be a really good weakside linebacker. Ogletree has a MUCH higher ceiling to be a big time impact linebacker in the league but he could bust if he goes to the wrong team and/or doesn't get put on a good conditioning and weightlifting program. Putting weight on Ogletree's frame is going to arguably be the biggest factor in his NFL future.

TCHOF
01-18-2013, 11:41 AM
Just watched the Ogletree and Brown videos posted in the film room and here's my take on those two based on that tape

Brown - Made the more consistent plays in the run game but didn't have to deal with blockers on the frequency Ogletree did vs. Nebraska. He does seem to have better instincts than Ogletree as of now but I do worry about this guy way more than Ogletree in the future handling NFL caliber run games in the event his Dline doesn't keep him consistently clean. He displayed good discipline too and being completely honest, I'd rather have Brown on my team for a game TOMORROW.

Ogletree - He looked lost at times and was "erased" on some plays due to his Dline getting pushed around on the interior. What stood out to me was the flash plays he made by making a scrapy move on the ball in a 3rd and short situation to cause a forced fumble and it was at a very crucial moment. Don't forget the sack he had to close the game. He also can obviously put on another 10lbs and not lose any speed to affect his playmaking ability sideline to sideline.

Conclusion: Brown looks like he can be a really good weakside linebacker. Ogletree has a MUCH higher ceiling to be a big time impact linebacker in the league but he could bust if he goes to the wrong team and/or doesn't get put on a good conditioning and weightlifting program. Putting weight on Ogletree's frame is going to arguably be the biggest factor in his NFL future.

Good breakdown. thanks.

rainierjef
01-18-2013, 12:11 PM
David was way more productive and impacted games more then Arthur Brown... I know u guys hate stats, but David had over 130tackles, 5.5sacks, 2FF, 2FR, 13TFL, 2INTS..etc Brown had a stretch of 7straight games he didn't reach double digits in tackles which guys like Ogletree and David never came near...

Thats what i don't get, is if Brown is so much better then Ogletree, and Ogletrees not good at geting off blocks, why does he get way more tackles, way more TFL, more sacks, more everything? Wheres the benefit of whatever arthur brown is doing better then ogletree?

Also, if hes as good as David, then whats the point of David making so many more plays, behind teh line and in coverege?

WHy does Brown get all these accolades from you guys, when hes a undersized, non playmaking, dosen't rack up tackles like you would think, LB?

The more i look into Arthur Brown, the less i like... I liked em alot untill really delving into video and production.. For a guy who played in everygame, he rarley impacted the game, and wasen't all over the field making tackles either...

He only had 4 games of double digit tackles.. Lavonte David had like 10 or something... Ogletree had 7 and he missed 4games.. They also have more plays made as well, in covereg and behind the line.. I'm not getting why there in the same ball park to u guys? Is it what u guys think hes gonna turn into?

Khaseem Greene is another player that people are hype on but I don't see the hype? I saw in one mock he was taken at the 19th spot and i dug a little more into this kid. He doesn't look like a 1st round talent to me, nothing truly stands out about him besides he has played some safety.

myles2424
01-18-2013, 12:13 PM

I remember David coming within a few pics of our 2nder & was thrilled at the idea of having him in NY.....that's one of the few times I actually support trading up,outside of the 1st round & you'd wouldn't lose much to get a steal on a 1st round LBr at the end of the 2nd....but whatever....

Redeyejedi
01-18-2013, 12:47 PM

I agree ,Ogletree to me has the highest upside of all the LB's. The negatives with him could be related to inexperience at LB and lower body strength

Kruunch
01-18-2013, 01:46 PM

+1

This was *exactly* my thinking between the two.

Kruunch
01-18-2013, 01:51 PM
Khaseem Greene is another player that people are hype on but I don't see the hype? I saw in one mock he was taken at the 19th spot and i dug a little more into this kid. He doesn't look like a 1st round talent to me, nothing truly stands out about him besides he has played some safety.

Greene reminds me a lot of Ellersby on the Ravens. I think he'll be a really solid LBer ... but I don't think he's a first round talent personally.

Neverend
01-18-2013, 01:59 PM
I think arthur browns athleticism and sideline to sideline speed is being very overlooked. this isnt sean lee vs bruce carter. arthur brown is a superb athlete as well that has great upside. i think hes more instinctive than ogletree, just doesnt have the size

Redeyejedi
01-18-2013, 03:51 PM

Huge difference in line play, Ogletree benefits immensely from the players in front of him. If u watch a lot of Georgia u will see the bulk of Ogletree's plays are made by attacking an empty gap. When he gets 1 he comes flying through faster than every LB in the class and will blow up the play. Its very flashy and its easy to fall in love with because that kind of explosion is rare. Flip side of that is when he doesnt get a empty gap he is non existent on the play. He will avoid making contact with Olineman even to the point where he pulls himself out of position
Im not saying this isnt correctable maybe when he puts more weight on or used to playing LB he will be comfortable filling the hole against lineman but right now that isnt his strength
I really have no idea where Ogletree will get drafted his kind of physical ability is coveted

myles2424
01-18-2013, 04:24 PM
I havent watched enough Ogletree to stand up for him or not....But athletic LBs usualy they avoid contact first because their used to making plays with their athletisim rather than taking blocks head up.....That can be fixed.......But if he gets bulldozed when its 1 on 1 block time, then thats something to worry about.......So somebody thats done their research comment on that...

BlueSabbath
01-18-2013, 05:28 PM
Huge difference in line play, Ogletree benefits immensely from the players in front of him. If u watch a lot of Georgia u will see the bulk of Ogletree's plays are made by attacking an empty gap. When he gets 1 he comes flying through faster than every LB in the class and will blow up the play. Its very flashy and its easy to fall in love with because that kind of explosion is rare. Flip side of that is when he doesnt get a empty gap he is non existent on the play. He will avoid making contact with Olineman even to the point where he pulls himself out of position
Im not saying this isnt correctable maybe when he puts more weight on or used to playing LB he will be comfortable filling the hole against lineman but right now that isnt his strength
I really have no idea where Ogletree will get drafted his kind of physical ability is coveted

1. This isn't very accurate IMO. I'd recommend rewatching SECCG. I know you have already, but I could point out a number of plays where he sheds blocks or beats the blocker to make or effect plays... and that was against the best OL (by far) in CFB. He DEFINITELY didn't seem to be shying away from any contact. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZy_y0on4u8 I could say the same for other games really (watch their matchup against Auburn). Not sure what film you're watching.
2. A linebacker is suppose to be able to recognize open gaps and fill them. That's what I want a linebacker to do. People are always talking about instinctive players... that's good to an extent, but I want guys that know their assignments and play them. The reason Alabama's defense is so good is because they play disciplined gap assignements.. they don't just have guys flying over the field trying to make plays. With that said, in coverage and in making plays to the outside, I think Ogletree is very instinctive.
3. UGA's front wasn't really all that impressive this year.. and I don't criticize a player for being able to avoid blocks. (not saying you are) With that said, UGA plays a 3-4. If he was doing so good because of the guys in front of him in UGA, wouldn't he benefit even more in a 4-3? Not that this matters cause I disagree that he is totally removed from plays when blocked.
4. When there are LBs that are good at shedding blocks, you're gonna get a bunch of people saying they can't drop back into coverage and how that's what is most important.
5. What makes Ogletree impressive isn't looking flashy shooting into gaps unblocked... it's stopping guys like Eddie Lacy and TJ Yeldon dead in their tracks by himself and catching speedsters like Onterio McCalleb from behind. Not to mention his ability to make open field tackles and drop into coverage well.
6. As you mentioned, he is young and has a frame to bulk up. The problem is, as I mentioned, if he turns into some monster LB that tosses blockers aside, suddenly he doesn't fit our defense anymore because he can't play CB as well.

I know you know your stuff, so take these as friendly alternative opinions.

BlueSanta
01-18-2013, 06:37 PM
[QUOTE=nycsportzfan;665051]What the GMEN should do is try and trade down and secure extra picks in this draft.. Like i said before, u got all these underclassmen declaring(now a record!) and 2teams missing picks in RD2(browns for Supplamental drafting of Josh Gordon and Saints for Bountygate)..
/QUOTE]

This....

Moreover, when you describe a team that usually trades up, you are talking about a team that is relatively strong. Maybe a team that has few holes and is a piece or 2 away from contending for a ring. I do not believe we fit into that mold anymore.

Like you, I believe we have multiple needs this offseason. More than last year and way more than the year before. I do not think we are a player or 2 away from contending again. We have aged overnight and we need an infusion of youth and enthusiasm. What I am saying is we fit the mold of a team that is more likely to trade back. We have multiple needs and some positions that need more competition from the young guys.

Redeyejedi
01-18-2013, 07:32 PM
1. This isn't very accurate IMO. I'd recommend rewatching SECCG. I know you have already, but I could point out a number of plays where he sheds blocks or beats the blocker to make or effect plays... and that was against the best OL (by far) in CFB. He DEFINITELY didn't seem to be shying away from any contact. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZy_y0on4u8 I could say the same for other games really (watch their matchup against Auburn). Not sure what film you're watching.
2. A linebacker is suppose to be able to recognize open gaps and fill them. That's what I want a linebacker to do. People are always talking about instinctive players... that's good to an extent, but I want guys that know their assignments and play them. The reason Alabama's defense is so good is because they play disciplined gap assignements.. they don't just have guys flying over the field trying to make plays. With that said, in coverage and in making plays to the outside, I think Ogletree is very instinctive.
3. UGA's front wasn't really all that impressive this year.. and I don't criticize a player for being able to avoid blocks. (not saying you are) With that said, UGA plays a 3-4. If he was doing so good because of the guys in front of him in UGA, wouldn't he benefit even more in a 4-3? Not that this matters cause I disagree that he is totally removed from plays when blocked.
4. When there are LBs that are good at shedding blocks, you're gonna get a bunch of people saying they can't drop back into coverage and how that's what is most important.
5. What makes Ogletree impressive isn't looking flashy shooting into gaps unblocked... it's stopping guys like Eddie Lacy and TJ Yeldon dead in their tracks by himself and catching speedsters like Onterio McCalleb from behind. Not to mention his ability to make open field tackles and drop into coverage well.
6. As you mentioned, he is young and has a frame to bulk up. The problem is, as I mentioned, if he turns into some monster LB that tosses blockers aside, suddenly he doesn't fit our defense anymore because he can't play CB as well.

I know you know your stuff, so take these as friendly alternative opinions. Numerous times in that game he got blown up by a TE "Michael Williams great TE " and turns his back away from contact. Settling into a spot and making tackles 8 yards down field to me isnt a great play. Its not that I dont like Ogletree believe me I see all the good things he does as well.

juice33s
01-18-2013, 07:44 PM
Numerous times in that game he got blown up by a TE and turns his back away from contact
Whatever, Put A Brown on the field against Alabama and see how he does. I know Kyle Long and the Oregon Oline made a ***** out of him in the Fiesta Bowl.

Two things can't be over looked here, Ogletree faced far greater competition in the SEC and out performed Brown who went up against alot of finnesse spread BIG 12 offenses. Ogletree's also two years younger then Brown who has far more experience at the Lb position

Carter.525
01-18-2013, 08:45 PM
[Former NFL scout Daniel Jeremiah likens Georgia LB Alec Ogletree' game to Steelers ILB Lawrence Timmons.

Like Timmons, Ogletree is an explosive linebacker capable of playing inside and out. An inside 'backer by trade in Pittsburgh's 3-4, Timmons often starts at outside linebacker when James Harrison or LaMarr Woodley is injured. Jeremiah compares Ogletree to Timmons as a "bigger version" with explosive athleticism, but who struggles to take on blocks at the second level.

Source: Daniel Jeremiah on Twitter (https://twitter.com/MoveTheSticks/status/292375372132134913)

nycsportzfan
01-18-2013, 10:39 PM
Numerous times in that game he got blown up by a TE "Michael Williams great TE " and turns his back away from contact. Settling into a spot and making tackles 8 yards down field to me isnt a great play. Its not that I dont like Ogletree believe me I see all the good things he does as well. Thats the way it is with LB's.. THey don't blow through blocks every play , or the blockers blocking them just plain su-ck.. Its a team game, anyway u look at it, and as we seen with Bill Sheridan as are DC, if u have a cr-ap scheme and units not playing well, iwts going to affect the whole team..

HOnestly, i could throw a Arthur Brown tape up , and you'd see quite a few plays where hes blocked.. I mean, has a 228lb kid, who dosen't make a ton of plays and dosen't load up on the tackles, so hes obviously getting blocked or something on quite a few plays.. Its not like hes the only focal point of K.St's defnse either, they got some really nice players including Meshak Williams, who could be drafted anywhere from RD 4-7 as well..

It really dosen't matter what dline is in front of Ogletree, he played his bowl game without Jenkins, which u guys never mention, and was great, and theres a 1000 awesome Olineman in the SEC anyways, including Alabamas oline, in which Mel Kiper raved Ogletree was teh best defender on the field in that game, and its saying something..

Kiper also said, GA"s defense simply got better when Ogletree started playing..

The way the BIG12 plays offense, Arthur Brown should of made a he-ll of alot more impact plays, and tackles....

TheEnigma
01-18-2013, 10:46 PM
Just watched some more tape of Ogletree and most of his failed tackles seem to be due to the lack of lower body strength like Redeye pointed out earlier but there were times during the SEC Championship that he made a goal line stand or crucial 3rd down stop like you would want our of your MLB. This guy can be something very special but I'd be cautious giving him too many snaps in an NFL defense in his rookie season. I could see him getting bullied against a run heavy team with his current build and lose confidence. I dunno...if I'm the coach, I put him on the field for more obvious passing downs and special teams in year 1 and then when he adds more weight for his sophomore year, let him compete for the starting job.

Brown looks like he can start on day 1 and make a solid contribution to a team that already has a decent front 7 though I just don't see future superstar in him. Slip said something about him starting in the middle earlier in the thread and I'd be curious what he saw in him to make that statement?

ELI_HOF_NYG
01-18-2013, 10:51 PM
I have been campaigning for this guy,,,it's good to see people coming around on him,,although he will be gone by pick 19 I fear.

nycsportzfan
01-18-2013, 10:57 PM
Whatever, Put A Brown on the field against Alabama and see how he does. I know Kyle Long and the Oregon Oline made a ***** out of him in the Fiesta Bowl.

Two things can't be over looked here, Ogletree faced far greater competition in the SEC and out performed Brown who went up against alot of finnesse spread BIG 12 offenses. Ogletree's also two years younger then Brown who has far more experience at the Lb position

I look at that TCU game as well.. Brown did nothing in that game, and TCU reminds me of a SEC team alot more then teams like Kansas, Ok st, Texas Tech, and all those other finesse teams do.. TCU litteraly shutdown Brown and made him as non factor as u can possibly be..

Lets watch that tape!!!!lol Again, i like Brown, but its pretty clear as day to why Ogletree is gonna get drafted ahead of him, in my opinion.. Ogletrees earned it...

ELI_HOF_NYG
01-18-2013, 11:07 PM
I look at that TCU game as well.. Brown did nothing in that game, and TCU reminds me of a SEC team alot more then teams like Kansas, Ok st, Texas Tech, and all those other finesse teams do.. TCU litteraly shutdown Brown and made him as non factor as u can possibly be..

Lets watch that tape!!!!lol Again, i like Brown, but its pretty clear as day to why Ogletree is gonna get drafted ahead of him, in my opinion.. Ogletrees earned it...

at the end of the day some guys that were beasts in college suck as pro's, and guys you thought had no chance turn out to be good players,,,you just can't tell,,even with college performances.

TheEnigma
01-18-2013, 11:12 PM
Meh, odds are that with our Dline issues like the ends not generating consistent pressure and the lack of depth in the middle, the Giants will probably snatch up another mid round LBer again. I'm expecting Chase for 2013 once more and the FO hoping Williams and Rivers stay healthy.

ELI_HOF_NYG
01-18-2013, 11:17 PM
Meh, odds are that with our Dline issues like the ends not generating consistent pressure and the lack of depth in the middle, the Giants will probably snatch up another mid round LBer again. I'm expecting Chase for 2013 once more and the FO hoping Williams and Rivers stay healthy.

if that is the case I do not expect much from this team next year. the D couldn't stop a nose bleed.

ELI_HOF_NYG
01-18-2013, 11:19 PM
Enigma,,,,what do you think of gerald hodges and aj klein? and how about the kid from WKU, andre jackson(coming out next year I believe?)

Redeyejedi
01-18-2013, 11:24 PM
Meh, odds are that with our Dline issues like the ends not generating consistent pressure and the lack of depth in the middle, the Giants will probably snatch up another mid round LBer again. I'm expecting Chase for 2013 once more and the FO hoping Williams and Rivers stay healthy. I cant take another season with Blackburn as the MLB.

ELI_HOF_NYG
01-18-2013, 11:26 PM
I cant take another season with Blackburn as the MLB.

friggin' amen,,I am really hoping ogeltree is there at 19,,althought he giants will pick god knows who else.

TheEnigma
01-18-2013, 11:32 PM
Enigma,,,,what do you think of gerald hodges and aj klein? and how about the kid from WKU, andre jackson(coming out next year I believe?)

I've been following the trenches of the draft way more than any other positions and I really haven't had the opportunity to watch any recent tape on those guys mentioned. Just got started on Ogletree and Brown because of the debate in this thread. Though it would be quite funny if we drafted that Andrew Jackson kid to play the redskins twice a year.

I cant take another season with Blackburn as the MLB.

The hype he gets annoys me way more. I swear that no other player on this team can make only one or two flash plays out of an entire game and be forgiven for the rest of his performance. It's mind boggling.

ELI_HOF_NYG
01-18-2013, 11:34 PM
I've been following the trenches of the draft way more than any other positions and I really haven't had the opportunity to watch any recent tape on those guys mentioned. Just got started on Ogletree and Brown because of the debate in this thread. Though it would be quite funny if we drafted that Andrew Jackson kid to play the redskins twice a year.

The hype he gets annoys me way more. I swear that no other player on this team can make only one or two flash plays out of an entire game and be forgiven for the rest of his performance. It's mind boggling.

I agree about chase,,,check out andrew jackson some time when you are bored,,not coming out till next year but seems to be the real deal.

Redeyejedi
01-18-2013, 11:37 PM
Thats the way it is with LB's.. THey don't blow through blocks every play , or the blockers blocking them just plain su-ck.. Its a team game, anyway u look at it, and as we seen with Bill Sheridan as are DC, if u have a cr-ap scheme and units not playing well, iwts going to affect the whole team..

HOnestly, i could throw a Arthur Brown tape up , and you'd see quite a few plays where hes blocked.. I mean, has a 228lb kid, who dosen't make a ton of plays and dosen't load up on the tackles, so hes obviously getting blocked or something on quite a few plays.. Its not like hes the only focal point of K.St's defnse either, they got some really nice players including Meshak Williams, who could be drafted anywhere from RD 4-7 as well..

It really dosen't matter what dline is in front of Ogletree, he played his bowl game without Jenkins, which u guys never mention, and was great, and theres a 1000 awesome Olineman in the SEC anyways, including Alabamas oline, in which Mel Kiper raved Ogletree was teh best defender on the field in that game, and its saying something..

Kiper also said, GA"s defense simply got better when Ogletree started playing..

The way the BIG12 plays offense, Arthur Brown should of made a he-ll of alot more impact plays, and tackles....
U take way to much stock into guys numbers. Greg Jones had 150 tackles and 9 sacks in college they are pretty meaningless in projecting players. Im far more interested in the eye test than what stats say. I never said Ogletree wasnt a good player all I said is he doesnt handle blocks from Lineman well. U guys make it out to be that Im attacking u personally.

ELI_HOF_NYG
01-18-2013, 11:40 PM
U take way to much stock into guys numbers. Greg Jones had 150 tackles and 9 sacks in college they are pretty meaningless in projecting players. Im far more interested in the eye test than what stats say. I never said Ogletree wasnt a good player all I said is he doesnt handle blocks from Lineman well. U guys make it out to be that Im attacking u personally.

ogeltree actually isnt that bad shedding blocks,,he is a safety moved to LB and is still learning the position,,,,what he has shown cant be taught,,its god given athletic ability and instincts. adding some weight to that frame should remedy the blocking issues,,he just needs to get stronger.

TheEnigma
01-18-2013, 11:43 PM
I agree about chase,,,check out andrew jackson some time when you are bored,,not coming out till next year but seems to be the real deal.

He's 6'1 and 265lbs?! Sounds like the guy is a fullback out there lmao. I'll give him a look after the 2013 draft probably and since I only hear great things about him, he goes on the personal radar. If we do go the mid round LBer route once more, I'd rather take a small 4-3 college DE type like Jamie Collins who I've been interested in as of late that has the athleticism to play in space and convert to a linebacker. The Kiwi experiment was good in theory and idea but he wasn't the right player for the job. Could you imagine if we had an outside linebacker who could pass rush, hold up to the run, and cover TEs/RBs out of the backfield?

Redeyejedi
01-18-2013, 11:45 PM
Jackson is a nice player but I dont think he declared .

ELI_HOF_NYG
01-18-2013, 11:47 PM
He's 6'1 and 265lbs?! Sounds like the guy is a fullback out there lmao. I'll give him a look after the 2013 draft probably and since I only hear great things about him, he goes on the personal radar. If we do go the mid round LBer route once more, I'd rather take a small 4-3 college DE type like Jamie Collins who I've been interested in as of late that has the athleticism to play in space and convert to a linebacker. The Kiwi experiment was good in theory and idea but he wasn't the right player for the job. Could you imagine if we had an outside linebacker who could pass rush, hold up to the run, and cover TEs/RBs out of the backfield?

I caught him by mistake and have followed him since. great instincts,,BIG hitter.

TheEnigma
01-18-2013, 11:53 PM
Jackson is a nice player but I dont think he declared .

Yeah, he's returning to school. I guess he likes his chances better next year where he doesn't have to compete with the likes of Te'o hype. Redeye, weren't you the one who floated around the idea of Mingo coming to the Giants and converting to a 4-3 OLB? This team needs pass rushing help in the worst of ways and it would be nice if we could spread that threat out across the defense instead of just our DEs having that ability.

Redeyejedi
01-19-2013, 12:00 AM
Yeah, he's returning to school. I guess he likes his chances better next year where he doesn't have to compete with the likes of Te'o hype. Redeye, weren't you the one who floated around the idea of Mingo coming to the Giants and converting to a 4-3 OLB? This team needs pass rushing help in the worst of ways and it would be nice if we could spread that threat out across the defense instead of just our DEs having that ability. Yeah LB/Blitzer /3rd down DE role. He has closing speed can play the read option well. He probably wont make it to them but u never know

ELI_HOF_NYG
01-19-2013, 03:26 AM
Yeah LB/Blitzer /3rd down DE role. He has closing speed can play the read option well. He probably wont make it to them but u never know

is it wrong that I want ogeltree so badly? lol.

Redeyejedi
01-19-2013, 08:34 AM
is it wrong that I want ogeltree so badly? lol. No not at all I dont dislike him. He is an explosive playmaker just needs to improve against Olineman that could come with added bulk to his lower body especially. He has the most upside , He may be the 1st LB taken "Non pass rushing". Just because I point out something negative doesnt mean I dislike the player. I see faults with all of them

Redeyejedi
01-19-2013, 08:43 AM
"4. When there are LBs that are good at shedding blocks, you're gonna get a bunch of people saying they can't drop back into coverage and how that's what is most important."

Im not so sure thats the case. The trend especially in the NFC East looks to be heading in the direction of running attacks. The Redskins , and now Chip Kelly going to Philadelphia looks to me more like running teams that will attack off the Play action pass. SF ,Seattle a team on the rise is a running team as well. I think the landscape is shifting who is ahead and who is behind.

Rkblitz56
01-21-2013, 01:31 PM
As a Rutgers fan who watched Greene every game, the guy is all over the field and brings energy to the field with his play. Greene will be very good NFL LB, and I would love to have him with the Giants. He certainly would give this defense a big boost in the arm.

joemorrisforprez
01-21-2013, 01:58 PM
Not sure where Greene will play in the NFL.

Greene will excel as a pursuit/coverage linebacker..... he might be on the sideline in short yardage situations, but on 3rd and long, you're talking about the perfect linebacker for Fewell's system......he's a guy with the speed to blitz, cover, and defend the edge.

And given the new fad of read-option QBs, Greene has the speed to be one of the few LBs that can chase down fast QBs.

As a former safety, he's an excellent guy in coverage, too.....in fact, in short yardage, I wouldn't be surprised if they kept Greene on the field as an in-the-box safety.

Like I said, his biggest liability is going to be shaking off head-on blocks....but he's got the speed to hopefull avoid them.

He's going to be leaving the board somewhere in the late 2nd or early 3rd round, and he'd be a perfect fit to Fewell's Cover-2. He and JW would be bookends.

Wherever he lands, he's going to upgrade some team's defense....especially in today's pass-happy, read-option NFL.

I'd be thrilled if he went to the Giants....I haven't been this stoked for a Rutgers guy since Ray Rice.

Full disclosure: I'm a Rutgers Alumni, so there's some bias here.

joemorrisforprez
01-21-2013, 02:07 PM
wonder how far Te'o will slide now..??

I might eat my words, but I want nothing to do with Te'o..... between that Alabama game, and the whole fake girlfriend thing, I see "Marvin Austin" written all over this kid.

joemorrisforprez
01-21-2013, 02:08 PM
As a Rutgers fan who watched Greene every game, the guy is all over the field and brings energy to the field with his play. Greene will be very good NFL LB, and I would love to have him with the Giants. He certainly would give this defense a big boost in the arm.

Agreed 100% (see my post above for details).

ELI_HOF_NYG
01-21-2013, 05:13 PM
greene is nice but ogeltree would be the real prize.

nycsportzfan
01-22-2013, 10:21 AM
Greene will excel as a pursuit/coverage linebacker..... he might be on the sideline in short yardage situations, but on 3rd and long, you're talking about the perfect linebacker for Fewell's system......he's a guy with the speed to blitz, cover, and defend the edge.

And given the new fad of read-option QBs, Greene has the speed to be one of the few LBs that can chase down fast QBs.

As a former safety, he's an excellent guy in coverage, too.....in fact, in short yardage, I wouldn't be surprised if they kept Greene on the field as an in-the-box safety.

Like I said, his biggest liability is going to be shaking off head-on blocks....but he's got the speed to hopefull avoid them.

He's going to be leaving the board somewhere in the late 2nd or early 3rd round, and he'd be a perfect fit to Fewell's Cover-2. He and JW would be bookends.

Wherever he lands, he's going to upgrade some team's defense....especially in today's pass-happy, read-option NFL.

I'd be thrilled if he went to the Giants....I haven't been this stoked for a Rutgers guy since Ray Rice.

Full disclosure: I'm a Rutgers Alumni, so there's some bias here. I"ve liked quite a few rutgers guys over the past several seasons, and Greene is up there on my list as well! Hes a beast! I love how hes always playing hard with those instincts and playmaking abiity.. I crave playmakers on this defense, becuase we have so very few, and haven't really had much outside the Dline in quite some time.. Greene will be all over the field picking up fumbles, causing them, making sacks, TFL, and being a high impact player the Defense despretley needs with charechter and energy...