PDA

View Full Version : Will TC make bold moves necessary to put the Gmen back on top?

PennState1
01-17-2013, 02:10 PM
The Ravens replaced their o coordinator in mid season and 49ers went to a new QB. These are bold moves that have payed off big time. What bold move(s) will TC make going into next season to shake things up? Remember, doing the same things and expecting a different result is the definition of stupid. Stupid is as stupid does. Time for some changes? Bears let their D-coordinator go...really? Their D was great this year. Who picks him up?

TCHOF
01-17-2013, 02:11 PM
What changes are you suggesting that he make?

NWKEffectElement
01-17-2013, 02:19 PM
The coordinators are not going anywhere this coming season.

Giantz4Life
01-17-2013, 02:24 PM
The Ravens replaced their o coordinator in mid season and 49ers went to a new QB. These are bold moves that have payed off big time. What bold move(s) will TC make going into next season to shake things up? Remember, doing the same things and expecting a different result is the definition of stupid. Stupid is as stupid does. Time for some changes? Bears let their D-coordinator go...really? Their D was great this year. Who picks him up?

Ravens fired Cam Cameron cause the guy was a joke and didn't know how to properly utilize Ray Rice. Not so much a bold move. 49ers did make a bold move by going to Kaepernick and it paid off. Why does Tom Coughlin have to make a "bold" move to get the Giants back on top? If you are referring to all the late season collapses I do not think it's something that one move would change.

And the Bears didn't let Rod Marinelli go, he decided to leave on his own when Lovie Smith was fired because they were very close friends.

PennState1
01-17-2013, 02:32 PM
What changes are you suggesting that he make?I was asking you guys what you think. I do know that if we do exactly the same things with the same coaches and players there is a good chance we will get the same result right?

giantsfan420
01-17-2013, 02:43 PM
its insane to do the same thing and expect different results, not just stupid.

PennState1
01-17-2013, 02:46 PM
I know but I love the stupid is as stupid does line so I changed it up a bit :0)

TCHOF
01-17-2013, 02:48 PM
I was asking you guys what you think. I do know that if we do exactly the same things with the same coaches and players there is a good chance we will get the same result right?

The players are never going to be exactly the same from year to year, the schedule will be different from year to year and injuries are different from year to year. So I disagree with the notion that if the coaching staff does the same thing next year, the same result will occur.

PennState1
01-17-2013, 02:49 PM
I brought up Rod because I was so impressed with the beats D this year (and past few years). It reminded me of past Giants D. Our D this year was really weak.

G14ntzF4π
01-17-2013, 02:50 PM
The stadium fans need to chant fire coughlin a few games and maybe we can win another superbowl

Cloud57
01-17-2013, 02:50 PM
TC is not a bold guy so don't expect any bold moves.

Cloud57
01-17-2013, 02:51 PM
The stadium fans need to chant fire coughlin a few games and maybe we can win another superbowleven if the Giants never win another SB with Eli, Couglin will still be here.

G14ntzF4π
01-17-2013, 02:51 PM
TC is not a bold guy so don't expect any bold moves.
Right he is about as bold as a #1 pencil

shocknaweny
01-17-2013, 02:52 PM
Coughlin never makes any bold moves and next January we may be sitting here watching other teams in the playoffs because we had yet another late season collapse

PennState1
01-17-2013, 02:54 PM
The stadium fans need to chant fire coughlin a few games and maybe we can win another superbowlI love TC but I'm not a big fan of PF

TCHOF
01-17-2013, 02:54 PM
Coughlin never makes any bold moves and next January we may be sitting here watching other teams in the playoffs because we had yet another late season collapse

Yes, because you can't win without your coach making "bold" moves.

PennState1
01-17-2013, 02:58 PM
Even though I'm a big TC fan I am scratching my head about this trend of losing in November and early December. I know I'm a spoiled fan but it would be great to see a consistant dominant season with no collapse.

sharick88
01-17-2013, 03:39 PM
Personally, I would have preferred new coordinators, but it is what it is.

jomo
01-17-2013, 03:42 PM
The Ravens replaced their o coordinator in mid season and 49ers went to a new QB. These are bold moves that have payed off big time. What bold move(s) will TC make going into next season to shake things up? Remember, doing the same things and expecting a different result is the definition of stupid. Stupid is as stupid does. Time for some changes? Bears let their D-coordinator go...really? Their D was great this year. Who picks him up?It is actually the definition of "insane"

CDN_G-FAN
01-17-2013, 03:58 PM

SBs won by Coughlin running the Giants as he sees fit: 2

SB won by Harbaugh #1 and Harbaugh #2 being bold: 0

RoanokeFan
01-17-2013, 04:00 PM

Right after the Eagles' game, TC said they were not anticipating any coaching changes. I can see where you might have missed the 1,314 threads about it. :rolleyes:

Drez
01-17-2013, 04:16 PM
Right after the Eagles' game, TC said they were not anticipating any coaching changes. I can see where you might have missed the 1,314 threads about it. :rolleyes:
I like sarcastic RF. He's funny.

BlueBlooded1979
01-17-2013, 04:17 PM
even if the Giants never win another SB with Eli, Couglin will still be here.

Don't kid yourself. If this defense can't get back to the mediocre play of 2011 and this group misses the playoffs again then Fewell will be gone and TC will be hearing the "time for a change" and "late season collapse" story lines again.

What I don't get is that Nunn is still around? Waufle was canned after 1 sub par season on the DL (not as bad as 2012 though). As bad as Oakland was their DL was very good when he got their and St Louis had a huge improvement on their DL this year. Nunn hasn't made much improvement with this group of guys and hasn't been a difference maker wherever he goes.

RoanokeFan
01-17-2013, 04:18 PM
I like sarcastic RF. He's funny.

All in good fun, no harm intended

Drez
01-17-2013, 04:19 PM
Don't kid yourself. If this defense can't get back to the mediocre play of 2011 and this group misses the playoffs again then Fewell will be gone and TC will be hearing the "time for a change" and "late season collapse" story lines again.

What I don't get is that Nunn is still around? Waufle was canned after 1 sub par season on the DL (not as bad as 2012 though). As bad as Oakland was their DL was very good when he got their and St Louis had a huge improvement on their DL this year. Nunn hasn't made much improvement with this group of guys and hasn't been a difference maker wherever he goes.
Wauffle was canned because not only because of the DLs play, but because of his enabling attitude towards it. From everything I can remember he was kind of resting on his laurels a bit. That's what got him fired more than how the DL played.

Drez
01-17-2013, 04:22 PM
All in good fun, no harm intendedThat's why it's funny. If you were sarcastic all the time (much like me), then it'd be just be being an ***, lol.

Drez
01-17-2013, 04:23 PM

Quite honestly, if we don't make the playoffs next season I think TC retires (I think his contract is up then anyway, might be the year after, though, I can't remember).

JesseJames
01-17-2013, 05:14 PM
Quite honestly, if we don't make the playoffs next season I think TC retires (I think his contract is up then anyway, might be the year after, though, I can't remember). if we don't make the playoffs next season I think TC will be quietly asked to retire with his dignity intact.

Cloud57
01-17-2013, 05:31 PM
if we don't make the playoffs next season I think TC will be quietly asked to retire with his dignity intact.He won''t go down without a fight lol

slipknottin
01-17-2013, 05:44 PM
Replacing Alex Smith is not a bold move lol. Everyone knew he was an average QB at best.

thomasjmarino
01-17-2013, 05:47 PM
even if the Giants never win another SB with Eli, Couglin will still be here.

SAD BUT TRUE

Drez
01-17-2013, 05:49 PM
Replacing Alex Smith is not a bold move lol. Everyone knew he was an average QB at best.Replacing Smith was a matter of when not if.

Redeyejedi
01-17-2013, 06:43 PM
Replacing Smith was a matter of when not if.They didnt draft Kaepernick to sit the bench forever. Smith was there when Harbaugh got the Job Kaep was his hand picked guy of course he would play

fletch842
01-17-2013, 06:46 PM
Remember, they first went to Kaepernick because Alex Smith suffered a concussion. Kaepernick played well enough that they decided not to go back to Smith once healthy a few weeks later.

Toadofsteel
01-17-2013, 07:42 PM
Remember, they first went to Kaepernick because Alex Smith suffered a concussion. Kaepernick played well enough that they decided not to go back to Smith once healthy a few weeks later.

So why did our staff give Diehl his starting job back?

slipknottin
01-17-2013, 07:42 PM
So why did our staff give Diehl his starting job back?

They wanted to make a bold move!

joemorrisforprez
01-17-2013, 07:44 PM
The Giants are a very successful organization, and they are highly respected by other owners, coaches, and players. They do things the right way.....before they make a change, they confirm it's needed.

I think the coordinators need to change things up a bit....if that doesn't work, then maybe new coordinators are required....but I think the Giants will take it one step at a time

GentleGiant
01-17-2013, 08:53 PM
Even though I'm a big TC fan I am scratching my head about this trend of losing in November and early December. I know I'm a spoiled fan but it would be great to see a consistant dominant season with no collapse. I kind of like it. It makes it easier to trust them. I just look at us winning the Sb every time we make the playoffs cause it just seems Automatic. We are a miracle. Only time we made the playoffs and lost was cause of a miracle desean Jackson run.

drewz
01-17-2013, 10:12 PM
When has Tom Coughlin made any bold moves?

NYGisBallin
01-18-2013, 07:00 AM
They wanted to make a bold move!

lol yeesh..

TuckandRolle
01-18-2013, 10:48 AM
By TC do you mean Jerry Reese?

TuckandRolle
01-18-2013, 10:49 AM
If GMen miss playoffs next year, Coughlin's contract is up and I bet Giants go in another direction. That being said, we better not miss the playoffs next year.

RoanokeFan
01-18-2013, 10:54 AM
If GMen miss playoffs next year, Coughlin's contract is up and I bet Giants go in another direction. That being said, we better not miss the playoffs next year.

I'm not so sure. The media consensus seems to be that TC will retire when he wants to. That may not be exactly true, but I do think it would take several losing seasons for them to seriously consider firing him.

drewz
01-18-2013, 11:44 AM
I'm not so sure. The media consensus seems to be that TC will retire when he wants to. That may not be exactly true, but I do think it would take several losing seasons for them to seriously consider firing him.

I think he's done next year if we don't make the playoffs

TroyArcher
01-18-2013, 11:46 AM
I was asking you guys what you think. I do know that if we do exactly the same things with the same coaches and players there is a good chance we will get the same result right?

Not necasasirily. You do recall TC has 2 SB rings with this Offensive coordinator and one with Fewell. I am not a Fewell fan and would have considered replacing him but that is not the Giants way. They value stability very highly. If the Giants defense does not improve I do believe they will replace Fewell but not until 2014.

TroyArcher
01-18-2013, 11:47 AM

No way

RoanokeFan
01-18-2013, 01:20 PM

It's really not likely

BuffyBlueII
01-18-2013, 01:38 PM
Replacing Smith was a matter of when not if.

Alex Smith is a damn good QB. He had no problems with Green Bays offense when they played against them in the regular season. It is not as if Kapernick ran all over the SeaHawks or Steelers. What he did was quite impressive but it was against Green Bay. Heck, Eli ran for a 1st down and trucked a defender over when we played Green Bay too.

BuffyBlueII
01-18-2013, 01:39 PM
If we continue to keep our OC we will continue to be up and down from year to year. He needs to go.

Drez
01-18-2013, 02:08 PM
Alex Smith is a damn good QB. He had no problems with Green Bays offense when they played against them in the regular season. It is not as if Kapernick ran all over the SeaHawks or Steelers. What he did was quite impressive but it was against Green Bay. Heck, Eli ran for a 1st down and trucked a defender over when we played Green Bay too.
Alex Smith is average at best.

AllHailEli
01-18-2013, 02:18 PM

We were 9-7 the last two seasons with different results, so it's 50-50 next season which result we will end up with granted no major changes in personnel.

BuffyBlueII
01-18-2013, 02:32 PM
Alex Smith is average at best.

The guy is not average at all. The guy is a proven winner that doesn’t throw picks. The guy is a damn good QB.

AllHailEli
01-18-2013, 03:05 PM
The guy is not average at all. The guy is a proven winner that doesn’t throw picks. The guy is a damn good QB.

He does not throw interceptions because he barely throws. Lol! He's very conservative.

Cloud57
01-18-2013, 03:45 PM
We were 9-7 the last two seasons with different results, so it's 50-50 next season which result we will end up with granted no major changes in personnel.looks like another 9-7 season again, lets see if we sign any good FA or get some nice draft picks,

bearbryant
01-18-2013, 04:00 PM
Bold moves??? When did you ever see tommy boy make any bold moves? Come on! What you need to hope for is that JR has an epiphany and works out our cap issues; we pick up or draft some players and most of all... the coaching staff utilizes things they saw during the last game of the season. That last one is a huge leap but necessary to make changes in this team. Go Giants!

slipknottin
01-18-2013, 04:57 PM

Ah the "proven winner" argument. The most useless argument in sports

JesseJames
01-18-2013, 05:08 PM
it could very well be that that the front office including JR has seen enough of these mid to late season collapses and will take a lot of the decisions on what is needed out of TC hands and that includes any coaching changes..

thomasjmarino
01-18-2013, 07:38 PM
it could very well be that that the front office including JR has seen enough of these mid to late season collapses and will take a lot of the decisions on what is needed out of TC hands and that includes any coaching changes..

From your lips to JR's ears

RoanokeFan
01-18-2013, 07:44 PM

TC coaches and Reese GMs. If Reese and Mara don't like what Coughlin is doing they will ask him to change or fire him, neither of which is very likely. If the FO wanted a coaching change, it would happen.

thomasjmarino
01-18-2013, 07:45 PM
If we continue to keep our OC we will continue to be up and down from year to year. He needs to go.

run up the middle...run up the middle...throw the ball downfield
throw the ball downfield...run up the middle...run up the middle
run up the middle...run up the middle...throw the ball downfield
throw the ball downfield...run up the middle...run up the middle

I don't know. Seems pretty creative to me...:popcorn:

BigBlue1971
01-18-2013, 07:56 PM
one can almost predict what TC will do. usually it doesnt include a "bold" move!

i think he will move to double or triple Wilsons playing time!

a bold move would be to insert Ojomo into the lineup!

Drez
01-18-2013, 10:30 PM
Ah the "proven winner" argument. The most useless argument in sports
And WTF has he won? lol

JesseJames
01-19-2013, 10:43 AM
TC coaches and Reese GMs. If Reese and Mara don't like what Coughlin is doing they will ask him to change or fire him, neither of which is very likely. If the FO wanted a coaching change, it would happen. its still very soon after the season so there is plenty of time for changes, they can't be pleased with these total collapses that the team goes through.

RoanokeFan
01-19-2013, 11:58 AM
its still very soon after the season so there is plenty of time for changes, they can't be pleased with these total collapses that the team goes through.

No one is happy with "collapses" but we are about as far removed from the facts as anyone could be. They are going through the end of season evaluation of every player and coach. It has already been reported they don't anticipate any coaching changes.

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/giants/post/_/id/21431/coughlin-fewell-wont-be-fired

Excerpt: "om Coughlin says he has no intentions of making any changes to his coaching staff one day after the defending Super Bowl champions missed the postseason.

When asked if Perry Fewell is still his defensive coordinator moving forward after overseeing a unit that finished 31st in total defense, Coughlin replied, “He is.” A source confirmed Fewell, along with other assistants, had their contracts extended after the Giants' Super Bowl victory last February. Fewell's contract is extended through 2013 as reported by the New York Daily News.

Both Coughlin and general manager Jerry Reese (http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/_/id/8165/jerry-reese) believe the Giants still have a championship-contending core that will require some changes to the roster.

“I don’t think we are that far off to be honest with you,” a disappointed Reese said on Monday. “This team will look a little differently next year but I think there’s a good core of players coming back and we will see what we can do in each offseason.” Read more...

JesseJames
01-19-2013, 05:23 PM
He won''t go down without a fight lol if I was making the kind of money TC is making I wouldn't go quietly either

JesseJames
01-19-2013, 05:28 PM
Alex Smith is average at best. I think Alex Smith just might be headed to the Cardinals because they would love to have him if the 49ers want to add some more talent in making the deal...

BigBlue wins
01-20-2013, 09:39 AM
The simple answer to the original post is no. Tom Coughlin does not like surprises. Thus, you can expect no such moves like what the Ravens pulled

Drez
01-20-2013, 12:32 PM
The simple answer to the original post is no. Tom Coughlin does not like surprises. Thus, you can expect no such moves like what the Ravens pulledWe also aren't in need of making a "bold" move. We need to tweak some things, yes, but I don't think we need to do anything that's actually drastic to get right back in the mix of things.

mike kennedy
01-20-2013, 09:32 PM
Tom is already booking his feel good locker room guest for next year to cheer up the chaps and give them a purpose to win instead of do what they get paid to do!

gmen0820
01-20-2013, 09:33 PM
You know what a bold move is in NY? It's telling a guy like Diehl that he can't start anymore.

So no, I don't think TC will make any bold moves, I just hope we can win in spite of them.

YATittle1962
01-20-2013, 09:38 PM
It is actually the definition of "insane"

it's actually not the definition of insane .....that is just an Albert Einstein quote that some often confuse with the actual definition

the definition of insane is

:
In a state of mind that prevents normal perception, behavior, or social interaction; seriously mentally ill.
(of an action or quality) Characterized or caused by madness.

Cloud57
01-20-2013, 09:59 PM
it's actually not the definition of insane .....that is just an Albert Einstein quote that some often confuse with the actual definition

the definition of insane is

:
In a state of mind that prevents normal perception, behavior, or social interaction; seriously mentally ill.
(of an action or quality) Characterized or caused by madness.you're right, It's not the definition of insane but people who are mentally ill sometimes do that.