PDA

View Full Version : NY Giants Keep Or Dump: Justin Tuck

RoanokeFan
01-17-2013, 09:24 PM
http://www.giants101.com/2013/01/17/new-york-giants-keep-or-dump-justin-tuck/

Excerpt: "New York Giants (http://www.giants101.com/tag/new-york-giants/) defensive end Justin Tuck (http://www.giants101.com/tag/justin-tuck/) was practically invisible in 2012. In fact, he was invisible for the vast majority of 2011 as well. In the final six games of 2011, Tuck had 5.5 sacks and 18 tackles. He was an instrumental aspect of the Giants 2011 Super Bowl (http://www.giants101.com/tag/super-bowl/) victory, which is perhaps the only reason he's still going to be on the roster again next season.

In the the other 30 games the team has played during that time period, the eight year veteran out of Notre Dame has just seven sacks. Without a productive Justin Tuck (http://www.giants101.com/tag/justin-tuck/), the Giants vaunted pass rush was non-existent and the team ranked in the bottom third of the league in nearly every major defensive statistical category in 2012.
Obviously, Justin Tuck (http://www.giants101.com/tag/justin-tuck/) brings a lot more to the Giants defense than just rushing the passer. Tuck is the captain of the defense and provides veteran leadership to a team that has won two Lombardi Trophies in the last six seasons. Clearly, his level of play has dropped significantly. However, in an offseason that could see the team part ways with Ahmad Bradshaw (http://www.giants101.com/tag/ahmad-bradshaw/), Kenny Phillips, Osi Umenyiora (http://www.giants101.com/tag/osi-umenyiora/), and/or David Diehl, it gets to a point where it would no longer be prudent to further diminish the leadership of this roster.

General manager Jerry Reese (http://www.giants101.com/tag/jerry-reese/) already said he expects Tuck back next season. There's a chance that changes between now and the start of free agency, but it's unlikely the team changes their stance on that issue. Tuck still has one year and $4.5 million dollars remaining on his contract, which is a salary that he did not play up to last season. If he wasn't the captain of the defense and the proud owner of two Super Bowl (http://www.giants101.com/tag/super-bowl/) rings, this probably wouldn't be a debate. The team would not pay a salary that large to a player who has shown serious signs of decline." Read more...

Rudyy
01-17-2013, 09:26 PM
Justin, I love you..but I think your time is up.

slipknottin
01-17-2013, 09:28 PM
Eh, $4.5 million isnt all that much money, and hes still an excellent run defender.

BigBlueAllDay
01-17-2013, 09:30 PM
Don't think the Giants can just simply replace Tuck AND Osi in that defense. Tuck stays... Plus it will be his "contract year"

Marvelousmik
01-17-2013, 09:30 PM
tuck is a little below average. the only thing he has over other players at that position might be experience.

GiantFanatic55
01-17-2013, 09:37 PM
and hes still an excellent run defender.

Very true

RoanokeFan
01-17-2013, 09:44 PM
Assuming Osi is leaving, we will have Tuck, JPP, and Kiwanuka (LB) available at DE/DT. Also assuming we'll have Canty (maybe), Joseph, and/or Bernard. If Tuck is still an effective run defender, do we put Tracy and/or Ojomo in rotation?

GentleGiant
01-17-2013, 09:44 PM
tuck is a little below average. the only thing he has over other players at that position might be experience. not true everybody else underperformed. There was no better player

Buddy333
01-17-2013, 09:46 PM
Eh, $4.5 million isnt all that much money, and hes still an excellent run defender.This.

nhpgiantsfan
01-17-2013, 09:52 PM
Eh, $4.5 million isnt all that much money, and hes still an excellent run defender.

He wasn't this year. He was invisible all year.

Buddy333
01-17-2013, 10:08 PM
He wasn't this year. He was invisible all year.He actually was good against the run.

brad
01-17-2013, 10:15 PM
I will always consider Tuck one of the former greats for the Giants, but unfortunately "former" is the key word. Leadership is important, but it may be time to see who can step into that role, because even when with the team, he wasn't living up to the leadership role. Rolle is probably the next veteran leader for the defense, he still has a desire to play. I think we need to go with JPP, Kiwi, Tracy and Ojomo and possibly look for a FA veteran that can come in as an insurance policy. It is time to reload the front seven and some of that may already be on the roster.

Cloud57
01-17-2013, 10:17 PM
He actually was good against the run.yeah but that's when the RB is running up the middle

GiantRoc
01-17-2013, 10:17 PM
Before 2011 Tuck seemed to play well and get pressure from the tackle spot. Any chance he could slide back inside? Maybe he could help shore up the interior run defense. Or is he too beat up to move inside?

slipknottin
01-17-2013, 10:33 PM
yeah but that's when the RB is running up the middle

No... thats when the RB runs to the side Tuck is at.

JJC7301
01-17-2013, 10:36 PM
I'd bring him back for one more year because his contract is affordable, and they need some depth on the line.

joemorrisforprez
01-17-2013, 10:41 PM
It really depends on his health and his attitude.....a healthy, high performing Tuck is an All-Pro.

I think there needs to be a lot of competition next year....other than Eli Manning, there are very few players that should be considered consensus starters given the 2012 production.

nhpgiantsfan
01-17-2013, 11:18 PM
27 solo tackles this year. I wouldn't call that excellent. In 2011 JPP had 65 solo tackles! Now that is excellent. Now I don't expect Tuck to put up those numbers, but he was hardly excellent against the run.

Ruttiger711
01-17-2013, 11:20 PM
27 solo tackles this year. I wouldn't call that excellent. In 2011 JPP had 65 solo tackles! Now that is excellent. Now I don't expect Tuck to put up those numbers, but he was hardly excellent against the run.What did JPP have this year?

* 66 for this year. Just the sack numbers down.

Ruttiger711
01-17-2013, 11:21 PM
Keep - no question, try him back at DT?

Carter.525
01-17-2013, 11:22 PM
Keep - no question, try him back at DT?

agreed..

NYGisBallin
01-18-2013, 07:53 AM
Keep.. His leadership and presence in the locker room alone is why you keep him another year..

RoanokeFan
01-18-2013, 08:20 AM
Keep.. His leadership and presence in the locker room alone is why you keep him another year..

Have we really seen that leadership?

NYGisBallin
01-18-2013, 08:37 AM
Have we really seen that leadership?

We dont have too. His peers clearly see it. Thats all that matters.

nhpgiantsfan
01-18-2013, 10:15 AM
He's a great leader while he is sulking on the field. The only reason he keeps getting voted captain and will keep getting voted captain is out of respect for his team seniority. He has the worst on field body language that I have seen on this team in a while.

timmytimm3
01-18-2013, 10:16 AM
I think Tuck playing DT is wearing on his shoulder more than playing DE, no?

We lost depth at DT and Tuck was forced to play inside more. If we had another beast DT to compliment Joseph the DEs could play more end.

Rudyy
01-18-2013, 10:18 AM
We dont have too. His peers clearly see it. Thats all that matters.Are you sure? One of his peers came out early and said he wasn't having any fun out there (JPP).

RoanokeFan
01-18-2013, 10:29 AM
We dont have too. His peers clearly see it. Thats all that matters.

Where's the evidence of that?

shane4177
01-18-2013, 11:14 AM
I love Tuck.....but it was soooo hard week in and week out the last few years watching him move around like a slug, little motivation/enthusiasm/presence. Keep him as depth and rotation guy, but I thnk he goes bye-bye after his contract is up.

RoanokeFan
01-18-2013, 11:21 AM
I love Tuck.....but it was soooo hard week in and week out the last few years watching him move around like a slug, little motivation/enthusiasm/presence. Keep him as depth and rotation guy, but I thnk he goes bye-bye after his contract is up.

It's not a question of liking or not liking players. We, the fans, want results and we're entitled to voice displeasure when we're disappointed. That's not just about Tuck, either. There was plenty of disappointment all around.

NYGisBallin
01-18-2013, 11:36 AM
Are you sure? One of his peers came out early and said he wasn't having any fun out there (JPP).

Ive played sports. I didnt have too much fun losing.

NYGisBallin
01-18-2013, 11:37 AM
Where's the evidence of that?

The "C" on his jersey...

RoanokeFan
01-18-2013, 11:43 AM
The "C" on his jersey...

It takes a lot more than an emblem to be a leader. Tuck has never impressed me as a leader, even when he was playing lights out.

NYGisBallin
01-18-2013, 11:45 AM
It takes a lot more than an emblem to be a leader. Tuck has never impressed me as a leader, even when he was playing lights out.

Again, he doesnt have to impress you. He clearly impresses the team, which is why he was voted captain the past 3 years.

RoanokeFan
01-18-2013, 11:46 AM
Again, he doesnt have to impress you. He clearly impresses the team, which is why he was voted captain the past 3 years.

OK

NYGisBallin
01-18-2013, 11:49 AM
OK

Love ya buddy.. =)

TuckandRolle
01-18-2013, 11:50 AM

Tuck WAS a good run defender. He had an absolutely terrible season....which included a terrible season defending the run.

RoanokeFan
01-18-2013, 11:51 AM
Tuck WAS a good run defender. He had an absolutely terrible season....which included a terrible season defending the run.

I'm hoping his shoulder injury had something to do with his lack or production. If not, they really should consider releasing him.

RoanokeFan
01-18-2013, 11:51 AM
Love ya buddy.. =)

:cool:

bigblue58
01-18-2013, 01:22 PM
No more fire, no more in the tank, pre game speeches seemed forced, never was the natural Defensive leader Strahan was..................pains me to say this

DUMP HIM!

The closest thing to Strahan the Giants had was Tollefson....and they let him walk.
Like Strahan, Tollefson was fiery, emotional and ALWAYS made an impact when he was on the field!

The Giants let him leave because they thought they had enough depth on the DL, when Tollefson WAS the depth.

BadSin
01-18-2013, 01:24 PM
I don't think he loves football anymore. I think if he had the heart for it he would be a beast though. Maybe being in a different uniform will get him fired up again. But sadly, I think it's time for him to go.

::1st Post. Thanks for having me::

wuzpapn
01-18-2013, 01:54 PM
It might time to bull a BB move. Get rid of Tuck for draft picks, and see what Kiwi and possibly Ojomo or Adrian Tracy can do at the DE spot. Those kids are hungry, and I wasn't impressed with Tuck's gameplay all season.

gumby74
01-18-2013, 02:14 PM
Keep. He's not actually getting paid a whole lot. If anything he'll be a solid backup.

RoanokeFan
01-18-2013, 02:17 PM
Keep. He's not actually getting paid a whole lot. If anything he'll be a solid backup.

$4.5M may not be a "whole lot", but when that contract was entered into I am preetty sure the FO expected a lot more bang for those bucks.

Cloud57
01-18-2013, 02:18 PM
It might time to bull a BB move. Get rid of Tuck for draft picks, and see what Kiwi and possibly Ojomo or Adrian Tracy can do at the DE spot. Those kids are hungry, and I wasn't impressed with Tuck's gameplay all season.Tuck is probably worth a 7th round draft pick

wuzpapn
01-18-2013, 02:41 PM
Tuck is probably worth a 7th round draft pick
WE GOT OURSELVES A TOM BRADY COMING.

CDN_G-FAN
01-18-2013, 02:52 PM

at the end of the day, i think that's why he's going to be back.

he's not expensive.

Giantz4Life
01-18-2013, 03:16 PM
I would love to keep Tuck and have him play at a high level again, but ever since he made that comment regarding an early retirement before this past Super Bowl run I have seen a man who looks like he does not enjoy playing at all...it looks like he is not having fun. +1 to the poster who said he has some of the worst body language for a captain ever. A captain does not sit and sulk on the bench, he is walking around trying to rally the troops. Tuck had a down year performance wise, but the thing that bothered me most about him this year was his sulking on the sidelines.