PDA

View Full Version : Nico Johnson LB, Alabama

BlueSabbath
01-18-2013, 02:53 PM
I posted this in another thread about linebackers, but figured I'd give it it's on thread.

A guy to keep an eye on a little later in the draft is Nico Johnson. 5* out of high school and had a solid but quiet career at Alabama (freshman All SEC). His biggest problems were the amount of talent surrounding him. I'm not convinced a guy like Minter would be that much better (if at all) than Johnson and you could get him later. At Alabama he was more of a run stopping linebacker, while Mosley was more of a passing down LB but he still moves REALLY well for his size and rarely gets knocked back. Another guy I'd be REALLY happy to land. He's listed at 6'3 245 but it seems Alabama's guys always measure a little shorter at the combine/pro day. What I like is that he seems to be under the radar right now, perhaps because he wasn't a consistent starter (depended on what type of offense Alabama faced, run heavy vs pass heavy).
junior highlights:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJBTRPyY5lw

Gets to the outside really well, plays gaps well, shows an ability to shed blocks, reads plays really well and although there's not much footage here of him in coverage, he shows that he can handle it. Most importantly I see him taking on big SEC RBs and standing his ground.

slipknottin
01-18-2013, 03:32 PM
Eh. He's a mid round guy. Perhaps a strong side linebacker for a team. Might be better suited as a thumper in a 3-4, but those guys aren't as common in the league anymore

Carter.525
01-18-2013, 03:44 PM
Nico >>> Sintim

slipknottin
01-18-2013, 03:51 PM
Nico >>> Sintim
Well yes. Sintim is not even playing football anymore

BlueSabbath
01-18-2013, 04:03 PM
Eh. He's a mid round guy.

That's my point. Have you noticed where we always draft our linebackers?

I keep seeing Minter as a rd 1 or rd 2 type of guy and I really don't think he's all that better than Johnson. If we haven't addressed middle linebacker early, he is a guy that I think would be a good pick in the 4th or so round. I also don't really think of him as a thumper, he plays disciplined gap football and moves really well for his size. He doesn't over pursue or go for bit hits. Wouldn't be a blatant waste of a pick like we saw in Greg Jones and Phillip Dillard (which I said afterwards were wasted picks).

slipknottin
01-18-2013, 04:08 PM
That's my point. Have you noticed where we always draft our linebackers?

Well I am not sure he fits for the giants either, if they want to play more tampa 2. They need guys who play nearly as well moving backwards as forwards.

If they want a big Sam like what Kiwi is. He may fit better.

BlueSabbath
01-18-2013, 04:40 PM
I don't disagree... but I wouldn't suggest him if I didn't think he could fit in our system (at least as good as someone we would target later in the draft). I couldn't have possibly disagreed more with the way we have drafted linebackers over the years. The guy we need is CJ Mosley (also at Alabama) but if we're not going to use a first or second round pick on a linebacker (as usual), we need to at least get some guys with potential. We've been taking guys I could have guaranteed would be flops. My point in this is that if we don't go linebacker in the first 2 rounds, I think Nico is someone to consider later. I've been saying we need to go after Ogletree, who I think could be a REALLY good get for us. Just considering backup plans down the line.

p.s. If you have by chance liked the LBs we have drafted over the last few years, I would be glad we disagree. :)

slipknottin
01-18-2013, 05:52 PM
I don't disagree... but I wouldn't suggest him if I didn't think he could fit in our system (at least as good as someone we would target later in the draft). I couldn't have possibly disagreed more with the way we have drafted linebackers over the years. The guy we need is CJ Mosley (also at Alabama) but if we're not going to use a first or second round pick on a linebacker (as usual), we need to at least get some guys with potential. We've been taking guys I could have guaranteed would be flops. My point in this is that if we don't go linebacker in the first 2 rounds, I think Nico is someone to consider later. I've been saying we need to go after Ogletree, who I think could be a REALLY good get for us. Just considering backup plans down the line.

p.s. If you have by chance liked the LBs we have drafted over the last few years, I would be glad we disagree. :)

I hated Sintim, argued with everyone on these forums about him before that draft.

Greg Jones I didnt think would be a starter, but i thought he wasent a bad pick for a 5th rounder.

I honestly knew nothing about Dillard pre-draft, but had hoped he had some ability.

Only recent LB I have truly liked was J Will after a couple videos of him were uploaded to youtube and I got to watch those.

BlueSabbath
01-18-2013, 06:31 PM
I hated Sintim, argued with everyone on these forums about him before that draft.

Greg Jones I didnt think would be a starter, but i thought he wasent a bad pick for a 5th rounder.

I honestly knew nothing about Dillard pre-draft, but had hoped he had some ability.

Only recent LB I have truly liked was J Will after a couple videos of him were uploaded to youtube and I got to watch those.

Well, we're pretty much in the same boat then. The last LB I can remember us getting that I was actually excited about was Goff. That seems like forever ago.

Carter.525
01-19-2013, 03:17 PM
Well, we're pretty much in the same boat then. The last LB I can remember us getting that I was actually excited about was Goff. That seems like forever ago.

wow.. I actually forgot about Goff.. hasnt even been that long..

G-Men Surg.
01-22-2013, 02:50 AM

Actually Greg Jones wasn't a bad pick for a 6 th round.

Shockeystays08
01-22-2013, 02:17 PM
I posted this in another thread about linebackers, but figured I'd give it it's on thread.

A guy to keep an eye on a little later in the draft is Nico Johnson. 5* out of high school and had a solid but quiet career at Alabama (freshman All SEC). His biggest problems were the amount of talent surrounding him. I'm not convinced a guy like Minter would be that much better (if at all) than Johnson and you could get him later. At Alabama he was more of a run stopping linebacker, while
Mosley was more of a passing down LB but he still moves REALLY well for his size and rarely gets knocked back. Another guy I'd be REALLY happy to land. He's listed at 6'3 245 but it seems Alabama's guys always measure a little shorter at the combine/pro day. What I like is that he seems to be under the radar right now, perhaps because he wasn't a consistent starter (depended on what type of offense Alabama faced, run heavy vs pass heavy).
junior highlights:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJBTRPyY5lw

Gets to the outside really well, plays gaps well, shows an ability to shed blocks, reads plays really well and although there's not much
footage here of him in coverage, he shows that he can handle it. Most importantly I see him taking on big SEC RBs and standing his ground.

It's obvious that most who have responded to your thread have little to no clue of what Nico brings to the table. Good job on your part tho! Nico's a ball player!!

Redeyejedi
01-22-2013, 02:51 PM
His best spot is as a 2 Down TED LB in a 3-4. Probably could be a run down LB in a 4-3 on the Strongside or as a Mike

Carter.525
01-22-2013, 02:54 PM
Nico in the 4th..??

BlueSabbath
01-22-2013, 02:54 PM
His best spot is as a 2 Down TED LB in a 3-4. Probably could be a run down LB in a 4-3 on the Strongside or as a Mike

That's just like... yer opinion man.

Redeyejedi
01-22-2013, 05:49 PM
That's just like... yer opinion man.Nick Sabans to he gets pulled in passing situations

Smith&Nicks
01-22-2013, 06:15 PM

what's the TED abbriv for?

BlueSabbath
01-22-2013, 06:53 PM
Nick Sabans to he gets pulled in passing situations

Because there's somebody that is better in passing situations than him.. CJ Mosley, who is one of the best linebackers in college football. Like I said before, his biggest problem has been the talent surrounding him. CJ Mosley (easily a 1st round draft pick) and Dont'a Hightower ( a first round draft pick). Doesn't mean he couldn't also be effective.

Redeyejedi
01-22-2013, 07:01 PM
what's the TED abbriv for? TED Strongside Inside LB not really universal term. For instance Alabama calls the Strongside Inside LB the Mike and the Weakside inside linebacker the Will. In 2011 Nico played the Will and Hightower was the Mike on running Downs. CJ Mosley came in for Johnson on passing downs. This season Nico played both the Mike and the Will but Saban substituted like Crazy . Sometimes it was Depriest and Mosley in a 3-4 , others it was Nico and Depriest, or Mosley and Hubbard with 3 safeties, or 4-3 Defense with Depriest as the Mike , Hubbard as the SOLB and Mosley as the Will. They show a lot of looks

Redeyejedi
01-22-2013, 07:06 PM
Because there's somebody that is better in passing situations than him.. CJ Mosley, who is one of the best linebackers in college football. Like I said before, his biggest problem has been the talent surrounding him. CJ Mosley (easily a 1st round draft pick) and Dont'a Hightower ( a first round draft pick). Doesn't mean he couldn't also be effective. i didnt say he was a bad player or anything just not very good moving backwards . Dont think he is a 3 down LB in the NFL

slipknottin
01-22-2013, 07:14 PM
Because there's somebody that is better in passing situations than him.. CJ Mosley, who is one of the best linebackers in college football. Like I said before, his biggest problem has been the talent surrounding him. CJ Mosley (easily a 1st round draft pick) and Dont'a Hightower ( a first round draft pick). Doesn't mean he couldn't also be effective.

Being benched because there are better players on your team in college does not bode that well for him in a league with even better players...

Redeyejedi
01-23-2013, 08:59 AM
Being benched because there are better players on your team in college does not bode that well for him in a league with even better players... Looked like he played less snaps this season compared to 2011. Last year it seemed like Nico was playing the bulk of the snaps and being subbed situationall,y this season its Mosley playing the bulk. Also Im not sure if its because they needed better blitzers or pass rushers on the field because they lost Upshaw but the SOLB Hubbard was cutting into his snaps 2. Along with the other Mike LB Depriest.
I dont think he is a bad player or anything just limited in the Giants 4-3 defense. Better fit in a 3-4 has experience at both inside spots

Shockeystays08
01-23-2013, 10:07 AM

Exactly. Nico was a RB In high school, he is agile,has good speed and smarts. He also played LB in High School didn't come out of the game. Saben had the luxury of Mosley in passing situations. To say Nico would be a run LB only is off the mark.

Redeyejedi
01-23-2013, 10:14 AM
Exactly. Nico was a RB In high school, he is agile,has good speed and smarts. He also played LB in High School didn't come out of the game. Saben had the luxury of Mosley in passing situations. To say Nico would be a run LB only is off the mark. He wasnt just pulled for Mosley. He was also behind Depriest . What he did in HS means nothing. Almost every good college player played both Offense and defense really well in HS. Nico was the back up strongside inside LB and the Run Package Weakside inside LB

BlueSabbath
01-23-2013, 10:34 AM
Being benched because there are better players on your team in college does not bode that well for him in a league with even better players...

You'd have a point if it wasn't Alabama.

slipknottin
01-23-2013, 10:37 AM
You'd have a point if it wasn't Alabama.

You'd have a point if he was going to have worse competition in the nfl.

Redeyejedi
01-23-2013, 10:45 AM
You'd have a point if it wasn't Alabama. I would agree with this in certain situations like Brockers last year for LSU as a RS Soph. However Nico is a Senior and has consistently been pulled every year he has played and this season it want just for 1 player. Last year he was pulled just for Mosley and with Hightower there as the MIKE I wouldnt hold it against him. This season however he was passed over as the Starting Mike for the Soph Depriest and lost even more snaps to Mosley. He also lost snaps to Hubbard although it may have been to generate more of a pass rush since Alabama lacked a player as good as Upshaw.

BlueSabbath
01-23-2013, 10:55 AM
i didnt say he was a bad player or anything just not very good moving backwards . Dont think he is a 3 down LB in the NFL

We're not talking about a first round pick here. Taking a guy like Nico Johnson in the 4th round is a great get. Saban teaches just about every player on his defense how to play coverage... Even players on the DL drop into coverage. He would be better coached and have a higher football IQ than many players that late in the draft as well (and probably most of the draft). Besides, look at the linebackers we have... We need some guys that move well and can help against the run. What were we, 25th against the run? If we can only get 2 downs out of the guy and it helps our whack rushing defense, I'll take it. I don't think the guy is going to be a star in the NFL, but we haven't exactly been taking linebackers early in the draft. If we wait til the 4th round (par for the course) and Nico is still there.. he's probably the best guy available... and that's what we're talking about here.

I don't recall Alabama's defense ever having any problems when he was playing. I'll be honest, I'm kind of sick of people always talking about linebackers moving backwards too. We're talking a mid round guy here, if you want a guy that sheds tackles, shuts down RBs and covers like a safety, take one in the first round. 4th round, I'll take an SEC guy that can move forward and side to side (what he'll be doing most) and has experience winning championships.

BlueSabbath
01-23-2013, 11:05 AM
I would agree with this in certain situations like Brockers last year for LSU as a RS Soph. However Nico is a Senior and has consistently been pulled every year he has played and this season it want just for 1 player. Last year he was pulled just for Mosley and with Hightower there as the MIKE I wouldnt hold it against him. This season however he was passed over as the Starting Mike for the Soph Depriest and lost even more snaps to Mosley. He also lost snaps to Hubbard although it may have been to generate more of a pass rush since Alabama lacked a player as good as Upshaw.

He didn't lose any snaps to Hubbard.. Hubbard played a different position. Saban runs different schemes for different teams. Nico could start one week and then not start for quite a while, depending on how the schedule panned out. I'm pretty sure he was always the starting LB in their base 3-4. When they faced more pass heavy defenses, yes, his playing time decreased because that's not what he's best fitted for. That's exactly what teams tried to do against Alabama, so yes, his snaps decreased as teams were forced to abandon the run. BUT, I think he could be adequate and brings enough against the run and in terms of IQ and leadership for me to like him as a pick if we haven't taken a guy by the 4th or so and he's still there. We'll just have to agree to disagree.

And trust me, I'd rather have CJ Mosley and when that guy DePriest is ready, probably him as well. They're not and I don't think this is a very good year for drafting LBs.

slipknottin
01-23-2013, 11:18 AM
I still wonder what exactly the point of adding a two down linebacker who offers nothing as a pass rusher is.

Do they need a new SAM that can't cover and has to come of the field that badly?

Imgrate
01-23-2013, 11:27 AM
If you're a linebacker that can't play three downs, we don't need you regardless of what round. Said the same thing about Greg Jones even though he was a 6th rder.

BlueSabbath
01-23-2013, 11:28 AM
I still wonder what exactly the point of adding a two down linebacker who offers nothing as a pass rusher is.

Do they need a new SAM that can't cover and has to come of the field that badly?

I still wonder why our linebackers suck and have sucked for years yet we fail to address the situation with an early pick.

BlueSabbath
01-23-2013, 11:34 AM
If you're a linebacker that can't play three downs, we don't need you regardless of what round. Said the same thing about Greg Jones even though he was a 6th rder.

I don't think he'd just be a two down guy if we drafted him. While he's not the best linebacker against the pass and does have some weaknesses, my point is that I think he'd be serviceable in pass defense and upgrade our rush defense. If he sucked, well, par for the course with the way we've been drafting LBs. I thought Dillard and Jones would suck... I don't think NJ would. Not really much more we can say on the guy... if you guys have some other targets for 4th or later, let's talk about them.

slipknottin
01-23-2013, 11:44 AM
I still wonder why our linebackers suck and have sucked for years yet we fail to address the situation with an early pick.

You mean like an early 2nd rounder? Oh wait...

What position on this team have they drafted early that they haven't needed?

slipknottin
01-23-2013, 11:45 AM
I don't think he'd just be a two down guy if we drafted him. While he's not the best linebacker against the pass and does have some weaknesses, my point is that I think he'd be serviceable in pass defense and upgrade our rush defense. If he sucked, well, par for the course with the way we've been drafting LBs. I thought Dillard and Jones would suck... I don't think NJ would. Not really much more we can say on the guy... if you guys have some other targets for 4th or later, let's talk about them.

He's a two down linebacker in college. Why would he all of a sudden be a three down player in the nfl?

BlueSabbath
01-23-2013, 12:46 PM
He's a two down linebacker in college. Why would he all of a sudden be a three down player in the nfl?

Because of the talent around him. I'm not guaranteeing he will. Just that in this draft, if we pick late, I'd gamble on him. Yall are making good points, just call it a gut feeling.

The only DE you have on your mock is in the third round and you seem to admit he'd only play on passing downs.

TheEnigma
01-23-2013, 12:46 PM
Would rather have a SAM LB who can offer pass rushing abilities on 3rd down and can also offer sound coverage skills with natural hips. Johnson is a good teammate but I think he's a ST player in the NFL.

Redeyejedi
01-23-2013, 03:45 PM
Because of the talent around him. I'm not guaranteeing he will. Just that in this draft, if we pick late, I'd gamble on him. Yall are making good points, just call it a gut feeling.

The only DE you have on your mock is in the third round and you seem to admit he'd only play on passing downs. A Situational Pass Rusher is a hell of a lot more valuable than a 2 Down LB

Redeyejedi
01-23-2013, 03:49 PM
Would rather have a SAM LB who can offer pass rushing abilities on 3rd down and can also offer sound coverage skills with natural hips. Johnson is a good teammate but I think he's a ST player in the NFL. I wouldnt pigeon hole him that much he could play on early downs possibly I just dont think he would be a Nickel player. I

BlueSabbath
01-23-2013, 04:35 PM
A Situational Pass Rusher is a hell of a lot more valuable than a 2 Down LB

I agree (sure as hell wouldn't want our only DE taken that early to be someone I think is only a situational pass rusher though) but again, I don't necessarily think Nico would only be a 2 down LB on our roster. Like I said, more of a gut feeling and thinking if we address LB late, I want someone with championship and SEC experience... and again, this has a lot to do with what I think of this class of LBs. I don't like that many outside of some early guys. A different year, I probably wouldn't be arguing much for a LB of his caliber. Still looking at some other guys that will be around late but for now, I'm all for Nico if we wait (which just to be clear, I don't want us to do).

Shockeystays08
01-23-2013, 05:17 PM
He wasnt just pulled for Mosley. He was also behind Depriest . What he did in HS means nothing. Almost every good college player played both Offense and defense really well in HS. Nico was the back up strongside inside LB and the Run Package Weakside inside LB
Your correct, essentially what he did in High School has no bearing on what he can do at the Pro level. I guess my point was he was an every snap player in high school and was dominant running the ball and working sideline to sideline on defense as well as pass coverage. He played HS ball an hour from where I live so I saw him several times when our local school played them. IMHO from what I have seen in person both at Andulusia High School and the University of Alabama be a run only LB is not an accurate assessment. Alabama is loaded with interchangeable talent. Concerns about his coverage ability exist only because he was not asked to do it. He has good speed, agility, smarts and toughness. To say he is going to be a 2 down LB is just tunnel vision. He was quoted this week at the Senior Bowl " I want to showcase everything I know I'm good at and showcase the things people have said I am not good at. People don't think I'm good at pass coverage. I have never really had a true chance to showcase that I can play on passing downs." I guess we will have a better gauge to decide what he can bring to the table after the Senior Bowl but right now it's a bit premature to label him a run only 2 down backer.

BlueSabbath
01-23-2013, 05:44 PM
Your correct, essentially what he did in High School has no bearing on what he can do at the Pro level. I guess my point was he was an every snap player in high school and was dominant running the ball and working sideline to sideline on defense as well as pass coverage. He played HS ball an hour from where I live so I saw him several times when our local school played them. IMHO from what I have seen in person both at Andulusia High School and the University of Alabama be a run only LB is not an accurate assessment. Alabama is loaded with interchangeable talent. Concerns about his coverage ability exist only because he was not asked to do it. He has good speed, agility, smarts and toughness. To say he is going to be a 2 down LB is just tunnel vision. He was quoted this week at the Senior Bowl " I want to showcase everything I know I'm good at and showcase the things people have said I am not good at. People don't think I'm good at pass coverage. I have never really had a true chance to showcase that I can play on passing downs." I guess we will have a better gauge to decide what he can bring to the table after the Senior Bowl but right now it's a bit premature to label him a run only 2 down backer.

I obviously agree with this and that's sort of my point. Just because Nico hasn't been used much in pass coverage, doesn't mean he can't do it. Maybe it does though, I see potential. Saying that Saban didn't trust him on passing situations is fair criticism but he also had the luxury to change out with incredible talent. Arthur Brown couldn't make it on the field at Miami, so he transferred. If Nico had transferred my guess is that he would have been a full time starter and we'd see more of what I think he can do. Not to mention, just because Nico played mostly on running situations, doesn't mean he never dropped into coverage. He did. I've gone back and watched a couple games and he does disappear in games when Alabama takes the lead or as mentioned, on obvious passing situations. But what I see when I watch him is a guy that moves really well, plays gaps really well and knows how to tackle. Long story short I totally understand some people being skeptical, but I see a lot of things that I like.

nycsportzfan
01-23-2013, 05:49 PM
I wouldnt pigeon hole him that much he could play on early downs possibly I just dont think he would be a Nickel player. I Nico Johnson is Erik Walden.. Another words, he can be decent, but nothing 2 special probably and most likely a 3/4 backer... I can understand why some might be intrigued, but i don't think he'd be that much a help to us, as he dosen't get to the QB to often, and litteraly only is a 2down run stuffer.. I'd rather draft Kevin Red**** and put em at SLB, then have Nico, to be honest...

BlueSabbath
01-23-2013, 05:55 PM
Nico Johnson is Erik Walden.. Another words, he can be decent, but nothing 2 special probably and most likely a 3/4 backer... I can understand why some might be intrigued, but i don't think he'd be that much a help to us, as he dosen't get to the QB to often, and litteraly only is a 2down run stuffer.. I'd rather draft Kevin Red**** and put em at SLB, then have Nico, to be honest...

I'd have no problem with Red****.

Redeyejedi
01-23-2013, 06:01 PM
Nico Johnson is Erik Walden.. Another words, he can be decent, but nothing 2 special probably and most likely a 3/4 backer... I can understand why some might be intrigued, but i don't think he'd be that much a help to us, as he dosen't get to the QB to often, and litteraly only is a 2down run stuffer.. I'd rather draft Kevin Red**** and put em at SLB, then have Nico, to be honest...Yes a better fit

nycsportzfan
01-23-2013, 06:09 PM
I'd have no problem with Red****. Hey Bluesabbath, who did u used to be on here? I thought i read u had trouble getting ur account switched over and had 2 start new one.. U seem like one of the old regs?

BlueSabbath
01-23-2013, 06:41 PM
Hey Bluesabbath, who did u used to be on here? I thought i read u had trouble getting ur account switched over and had 2 start new one.. U seem like one of the old regs?

I've had a couple.. I can't even remember my original. I remember trying a ton of different names that were already taken, can't remember what I ended up with. Didn't post on the boards for a really long time (had websense at work and I don't do internet at home)... so I lost that one... then I was using (pretty sure it was) CRITTERS last year and maybe the year before. I believe the boards went down for some time and when I came back I couldn't get that username to work anymore. So I just started this one. I've actually been meaning to ask if the boards were down for everyone for a long while. I still recognize most of the posters on here though even though the site is different.

myles2424
01-23-2013, 06:47 PM
You mean like an early 2nd rounder? Oh wait...

What position on this team have they drafted early that they haven't needed?
I think hes reffering to a LB that actually fits our system

BlueSabbath
01-23-2013, 07:14 PM
Hey Bluesabbath, who did u used to be on here? I thought i read u had trouble getting ur account switched over and had 2 start new one.. U seem like one of the old regs?

Wow, I was able to find one of my mocks from last year.

1. Kevin Zeitler (OG)-Wisconsin
2. Lamar Miller (RB)-Miami or Doug Martin (RB)-Boise St
3. Brandon Boykin (CB/KR)-UGA
4. Michael Egnew (TE)-Missouri
5. Joe Adams (WR) Arkansas
6. Demario Davis (LB) Arkansas State (my sleeper. I think his draft is going to jump up though when he hits the combine)

I know I did others cause oddly enough I was pushing for Dont'a Hightower in the first. Also remember I was high on Vick Ballard as midround guy and Bryce Brown with our last pick, Dequan Menzie, Senio Kelemete, Bernard Pierce, Olivier Vernon. Probably some others that haven't panned out. :cool:

myles2424
01-23-2013, 07:24 PM
Wow, I was able to find one of my mocks from last year.

1. Kevin Zeitler (OG)-Wisconsin
2. Lamar Miller (RB)-Miami or Doug Martin (RB)-Boise St
3. Brandon Boykin (CB/KR)-UGA
4. Michael Egnew (TE)-Missouri
5. Joe Adams (WR) Arkansas
6. Demario Davis (LB) Arkansas State (my sleeper. I think his draft is going to jump up though when he hits the combine)

I know I did others cause oddly enough I was pushing for Dont'a Hightower in the first. Also remember I was high on Vick Ballard as midround guy and Bryce Brown with our last pick, Dequan Menzie, Senio Kelemete, Bernard Pierce, Olivier Vernon. Probably some others that haven't panned out. :cool:
I was definetly with Miller/martin & egnew/Adams....I was huge on Lavonte David, when he came close to our 2nd rounder i thought forsure we'd get agressive & move up, but oh well...

Redeyejedi
01-23-2013, 09:33 PM
Your correct, essentially what he did in High School has no bearing on what he can do at the Pro level. I guess my point was he was an every snap player in high school and was dominant running the ball and working sideline to sideline on defense as well as pass coverage. He played HS ball an hour from where I live so I saw him several times when our local school played them. IMHO from what I have seen in person both at Andulusia High School and the University of Alabama be a run only LB is not an accurate assessment. Alabama is loaded with interchangeable talent. Concerns about his coverage ability exist only because he was not asked to do it. He has good speed, agility, smarts and toughness. To say he is going to be a 2 down LB is just tunnel vision. He was quoted this week at the Senior Bowl " I want to showcase everything I know I'm good at and showcase the things people have said I am not good at. People don't think I'm good at pass coverage. I have never really had a true chance to showcase that I can play on passing downs." I guess we will have a better gauge to decide what he can bring to the table after the Senior Bowl but right now it's a bit premature to label him a run only 2 down backer.I think your overrating his agility straight line speed is good but he is kind of tight hipped . I think he would be better off in a 3-4 where he wouldnt cover as much ground. Funny thing is he probably would be the best MLB on the Giants LOL

Shockeystays08
01-23-2013, 10:53 PM
I think your overrating his agility straight line speed is good but he is kind of tight hipped . I think he would be better off in a 3-4 where he wouldnt cover as much ground. Funny thing is he probably would be the best MLB on the Giants LOL

It will be interesting to see how he pans out. I respect your opinion and knowledge.