PDA

View Full Version : Antrel Rolle is Leadership not Justin Tuck

Martin
01-18-2013, 07:13 PM
Leadership is about playing at a high level
and being a heard voice when necessary.

Antrel Rolle consistantly makes plays and
wears his heart on his sleeve as a Giant.

I love his passion off the field as well.

I have to say the Tuck has disappointed in
both area's. He seems to have given up.

I am hoping for objective opinion on the board!

Maybe some one can sell me as to why
Tuck is a needed piece to the 2013/2014 season.

slipknottin
01-18-2013, 07:27 PM
Antrel Rolle consistently blows coverage on the back end.

Maybe someone can sell me as to why Rolle is a needed piece to the 2013/2014 season with a $9 mil cap hit.

fizzlesticks
01-18-2013, 07:33 PM
Maybe someone can sell me as to why Rolle is a needed piece to the 2013/2014 season with a $9 mil cap hit.

He's not.

RoanokeFan
01-18-2013, 07:46 PM

Would it have been $9M if he hadn't restructured?

slipknottin
01-18-2013, 07:49 PM
Would it have been $9M if he hadn't restructured?

No, it would have been $7

BlueSanta
01-18-2013, 07:50 PM
Do people think Rolle is a leader because of all the talking he does during the week? Do people somehow associate that with leadership? If so, wow.

JayMas9
01-18-2013, 07:54 PM

Maybe someone can sell me as to why Rolle is a needed piece to the 2013/2014 season with a $9 mil cap hit.This covers my thoughts.

RoanokeFan
01-18-2013, 07:59 PM
No, it would have been $7

That makes more sense, thanks.

KidA
01-18-2013, 08:12 PM
I agree with you Martin(OP).

Tuck was shoehorned into the captain spot and it's clear that he's not the right man for the job.

Rolle might talk too much but at least he has the passion and desire to win. He reminds me of Antonio Pierce in that way. He's not afraid to say what he's thinking and that rubs people the wrong way sometimes (myself included), but when things aren't going well you need someone to speak directly to the team, call people out, and make the necessary changes. Rolle is the best we have in that regard.

Cloud57
01-18-2013, 08:31 PM
Tuck is a lazy bum, I don't like Rolle but he would make a better captain

BigBlue1971
01-18-2013, 09:07 PM
Rolle does play with passion and seems to keep his head. he certainly shows more leadership qualties than Tuck!

Tuck was thrust into the position after Strahan retired.

noone else took the job so Tuck did! he thought it was an easy job especially after winning the superbowl!

it wasnt easy and he didnt follow his rule of "leading by example".

it is time for him to step aside and let a starter lead!

slipknottin
01-18-2013, 09:08 PM

I have never seen Tuck play lazy.

Rat_bastich
01-18-2013, 09:22 PM
Being loud and talking alot does not a leader make. Coaching and mentoring and setting the example does. Right now I don't think anyone on that defense qualifies, but then again I only see what the media shows and don't know what goes on in the locker room and who has respect.

Cloud57
01-18-2013, 10:12 PM
I have never seen Tuck play lazy.ok maybe lazy is a bit too harsh but he just doesn't play with any passion for a guy who's captain.

Buddy333
01-18-2013, 11:05 PM
Antrel Rolle consistently blows coverage on the back end. Maybe someone can sell me as to why Rolle is a needed piece to the 2013/2014 season with a $9 mil cap hit.Wasn't he the worst rated Safety in the league or close to it this past season?

SweetZombieJesus
01-19-2013, 06:54 AM
I'm as big a fan of Tuck as there is. Always felt he struggled with the leadership role and he would need to grow into it.

But these public displays of self-doubt have me shaking my head. Even if you have these thoughts keep them to yourself, airing thoughts of retirement in front of the world puts blood in the water and undermines any leadership you may have. Then he says he's going to play another 5 years?

All in? Hardly.

Martin
01-19-2013, 11:50 AM
I'm as big a fan of Tuck as there is. Always felt he struggled with the leadership role and he would need to grow into it.

But these public displays of self-doubt have me shaking my head. Even if you have these thoughts keep them to yourself, airing thoughts of retirement in front of the world puts blood in the water and undermines any leadership you may have. Then he says he's going to play another 5 years?

All in? Hardly.

Yes Jesus !! thats my point U dont tell the media that U have self doubt.

You dont let the enemy know whats goin on even if its true.
All things personal stay at home and for god sake he's
a captain!

He does not have the mental make up for me as a captain
of the New York Giants.

Antrel Rolle might not be the best safety the giants ever had
but he makes plays with passion and has fire.

Justin Tuck is a cry baby when things dont go well
and he tells everyone about it.

No ball-s I'm sorry get rid of him and Osi!!!

Put in the kids with the funny name Ojomo
and Kiwi with JPP and find another pass rusher.!

5 years??? Holy Mother of God!!!

SweetZombieJesus
01-19-2013, 12:19 PM
Yes Jesus !! thats my point U dont tell the media that U have self doubt.

You dont let the enemy know whats goin on even if its true.
All things personal stay at home and for god sake he's
a captain!

Justin needs to read "The Art of War". All those internal doubts stay in your HEAD, and maybe, MAYBE, to a confidant whom you have utmost trust in. But you have to project a super-human image to your "troops".

nhpgiantsfan
01-19-2013, 12:57 PM
I agree make Rolle the captain. Give Tuck one more year to try and turn it around. Let him just focus on himself and his own play and not worry about being the captain. How do you think the rest of the defense feels when they see their leader on the sideline sulking looking like he is ready to cry?

RoanokeFan
01-19-2013, 01:00 PM

That's just silly

slipknottin
01-19-2013, 01:20 PM
I agree make Rolle the captain. Give Tuck one more year to try and turn it around. Let him just focus on himself and his own play and not worry about being the captain. How do you think the rest of the defense feels when they see their leader on the sideline sulking looking like he is ready to cry?

How would the defense feel when they give it to Rolle who cant even do his own job.

Roosevelt
01-19-2013, 02:01 PM

If they cut him it will cost us $4 mil against the cap.

I like Antrel. He did lead our team in tackles last year.

MattyD21
01-19-2013, 02:07 PM
Antrel deserves the Captain spot so much more than tuck. Tucks more of a guy who doesn't care about what happens, you can see it in his interviews . He's more likely to hang his head when losing than get in somebodies face about a lack of play.

slipknottin
01-19-2013, 02:19 PM
If they cut him it will cost us $4 mil against the cap.

I like Antrel. He did lead our team in tackles last year.

If they dont cut him he counts for $8 mil against the cap.

Redeyejedi
01-19-2013, 02:21 PM
How would the defense feel when they give it to Rolle who cant even do his own job.if I was the GM and it saves us 5 million to cut him I would.I think Phillips,Brown and Hill is the best 3 they could put on the field. I would consider adding another safety in the draft as well.

nhpgiantsfan
01-19-2013, 02:22 PM
How would the defense feel when they give it to Rolle who cant even do his own job.

He's not nearly as bad as you are making him out to be. He steps up and plays wherever the team needs him. And with the caliber of players on this defense, sadly he is one of the better players.

slipknottin
01-19-2013, 02:25 PM
He's not nearly as bad as you are making him out to be. He steps up and plays wherever the team needs him. And with the caliber of players on this defense, sadly he is one of the better players.

He plays poorly at every position they put him. People keep using the "hes out of position excuse" well whats the excuse for his inability to play any type of coverage? He cant cover anyone from the slot, cant cover TEs, hes AWFUL deep whether its half or thirds, and he isnt good in any underneath zone.

About all he does well is tackle. Which oddly enough was one of the complaints about him before he came to the giants

embeshAtYa
01-19-2013, 09:42 PM
Rolle is good in run support. Id like to see Will Hill develop. Tuck is by far not a bum comon man the guy hasn been able to play healthy. Thats the problem here

GTGiantsFan
01-19-2013, 09:47 PM
When we have 3 reliable safetys on the field our defense is dynamic and dominant.

GTGiantsFan
01-19-2013, 09:47 PM
I can see Hill being a Rolle type of player in the future.

Rudyy
01-19-2013, 11:11 PM
I think Lawrence Tynes is a bigger leader than both of them!!!

bearbryant
01-19-2013, 11:27 PM
I like his talk but you need more than yap to play! Rolle is decent in run support but is a huge liability incoverage. We now have Stevie Brown and Will Hill and KP. The way the $$$ look it makes sense to save the $$ let Rolle go and maybe you need to let KP leave as well and pick up a 1 year safety for the 3 safety set. Lets not forget the $$ situation. We can no longer just keep throwing $$$ away on poor performers. I don't envy JR's job this year

ELI_HOF_NYG
01-20-2013, 12:02 AM
I like his talk but you need more than yap to play! Rolle is decent in run support but is a huge liability incoverage. We now have Stevie Brown and Will Hill and KP. The way the $$$ look it makes sense to save the $$ let Rolle go and maybe you need to let KP leave as well and pick up a 1 year safety for the 3 safety set. Lets not forget the $$ situation. We can no longer just keep throwing $$$ away on poor performers. I don't envy JR's job this year

he needs more than yap to play? poor performer? 96 tackles, 73 SOLO, 2 picks, 1 forced fumble, 5 passes defended. ranked in the top 15 in tackles amongst all secondary players . he wasn't brought here to be a cover guy, it's not what he does. the giants knew that when they signed him. If this guy was 6'1 240 LBS we would have our starting MLB, because that's how he plays...many of his tackles are clean up, and solo due to the fact that our front 7 cant get pressure, tackle, or cover, which figures in to the blown coverages. he's an aggressive, well rounded run stopping safety, it is what it is. ask the cardinals D if they missed him when he left in free agency. his value to this D cant be measured, and this D is just simply not better with out him.. just curious, so who do we replace him, his production, and his vocal leadership with? will hill? a raw, unproven 1st year player who saw limited action? or perhaps tyler sash? and I forgot about KP, that is if his chronic knee problems magically disappear. does stevie hill, who did nothing until last year, repeat 2012? but yep,,it makes sense to just let rolle go.

ELI_HOF_NYG
01-20-2013, 12:07 AM

como say what?,,,,,doesn't a guy who doesn't do his job captain the giants D right now? rolle is far and away our most vocal player on D,,he cares about winning and isnt afraid to get in someones face. rolle does his job just fine, and leaves it all on the field,,good or bad,,that's what a leader does. he wasn't brought here to be a cover guy, the giants knew it when they signed him.

slipknottin
01-20-2013, 12:15 AM
rolle does his job just fine

I did not realize his job was to blow coverage and leave receivers open.

Rudyy
01-20-2013, 12:18 AM
I did not realize his job was to blow coverage and leave receivers open.Nah that's Cwebb's job.

ELI_HOF_NYG
01-20-2013, 12:26 AM
I did not realize his job was to blow coverage and leave receivers open.

and I am sure the fact that we have zero pass rush and LB's who cant tackle or cover have nothing to do with it? when the oppossing QB has all day to throw the problems run much deeper than rolle's coverage. how many big plays did he save this year by coming up in run support and making big play saving tackles? you know,,the ones our D line and LB's should be making.

slipknottin
01-20-2013, 12:27 AM
and I am sure the fact that we have zero pass rush and LB's who cant tackle or cover have nothing to do with it?

KP does not have the same problem. Stevie Brown only had that problem a couple games all year.

Rolle has that problem almost every game.

ELI_HOF_NYG
01-20-2013, 12:30 AM
KP does not have the same problem. Stevie Brown only had that problem a couple games all year.

Rolle has that problem almost every game.

antrel was brought here to do exactly what he does,,and he does it well. have you ever heard the coaching staff complain about his coverage? this D is not better with out him.

slipknottin
01-20-2013, 12:34 AM
antrel was brought here to do exactly what he does,,and he does it well. have you ever heard the coaching staff complain about his coverage? this D is not better with out him.

Have you heard the coaching staff complain about anyone? lol

He was brought here because the giants were desperate after the CC Brown and Michael Johnson mess.

But he will be released soon enough.

ELI_HOF_NYG
01-20-2013, 12:46 AM
Have you heard the coaching staff complain about anyone? lol

He was brought here because the giants were desperate after the CC Brown and Michael Johnson mess.

But he will be released soon enough.

he was brought because he is a good player,,,the giants didnt make him the highest paid safety just because of brown and johnson, the giants dont roll that way. he isn't going anywhere,,,and if he does the giants D will suffer tremendously. you think our Dline and backers are bad now? wait until they don't have rolle coming up in run support next year,,,brown and KP might be better in coverage,,but both are far inferior in the run game. stevie did nothing until this year, no guarantee he repeats it next year. KP has bad knees and is no longer the same player, and there is no guarantee he even plays a full season. so we go into next year with a one year wonder, a guy with chronic knee problems, and a raw, inexperienced rookie. sounds good to me.

slipknottin
01-20-2013, 12:50 AM
Far inferior in the run game? Lol. The only reason Rolle makes so many tackles is because the giants play him in the box most of the game because he's so awful deep.

I would take KP over Rolle in run support any day. Stevie when he actually got a run to him he played it very well for a deep safety. He did not spend much time up in the box.

I'd take my chances on risky players who are better and have more upside over a $9 mil a season safety who can't actually play safety.

All I needed was that one play week 1 against Dallas to be done with Rolle. I've argued for him plenty in the past that it was rare for a safety to be able to cover slot receivers. But he doesn't even do that well

Buddy333
01-20-2013, 12:51 AM
Wold cutting I'm help them or hurt them as far as cap numbers go?

slipknottin
01-20-2013, 12:53 AM
Wold cutting I'm help them or hurt them as far as cap numbers go?

I believe they would be on the hook for $4 mil in dead money. But would save $5 mil.
Keeping him costs $9

Buddy333
01-20-2013, 12:55 AM
He's gone then. They need the money and they have a couple of nice young Safeties. Hopefully they can sign KP. They can't over pay him though. To many health issues. Maybe draft another.

ELI_HOF_NYG
01-20-2013, 12:57 AM
Far inferior in the run game? Lol. The only reason Rolle makes so many tackles is because the giants play him in the box most of the game because he's so awful deep.

I would take KP over Rolle in run support any day. Stevie when he actually got a run to him he played it very well for a deep safety. He did not spend much time up in the box.

I'd take my chances on risky players who are better and have more upside over a $9 mil a season safety who can't actually play safety.

All I needed was that one play week 1 against Dallas to be done with Rolle. I've argued for him plenty in the past that it was rare for a safety to be able to cover slot receivers. But he doesn't even do that well

rolle plays in the box because he plays like a linebacker, not a safety. he wasnt brought here to be a cover guy,,his worth is in run support. rolle makes a lot of tackles because lets admit it, our front 7 cant tackle and many of his tackles are clean up.

slipknottin
01-20-2013, 12:59 AM
rolle plays in the box because he plays like a linebacker, not a safety. he wasnt brought here to be a cover guy,,his worth is in run support. rolle makes a lot of tackles because lets admit it, our front 7 cant tackle and many of his tackles are clean up.

You don't pay a safety $9 mil a year to stop the run. Will Hill could do that for $500k.

Rolle is here to be a playmaker and difference maker. Not to make tackles.

ELI_HOF_NYG
01-20-2013, 01:03 AM
You don't pay a safety $9 mil a year to stop the run. Will Hill could do that for $500k.

Rolle is here to be a playmaker and difference maker. Not to make tackles.

he restructured for that amount to help the team, and he is a play maker on D. he has made many big play saving tackles during his tenure with the giants. he makes them every week.

slipknottin
01-20-2013, 01:06 AM
he restructured for that amount to help the team, and he is a play maker on D. he has made many big play saving tackles during his tenure with the giants. he makes them every week.

He didn't restructure to help the team lol. No player ever restructures to help their team. They restructure because it guarantees them more money.

And even if he haven't restructured he would have had a $7 mil cap hit this year. That's absolutely ridiculous money for a safety who can't play safety. That's more money than Patrick Willis makes. If the giants want someone to make tackles then they could take that $9 mil Rolle is due and buy two top Lbs for the same price.

ELI_HOF_NYG
01-20-2013, 01:11 AM
well let's agree to disagree, but don't be surprised when he is here next year.

slipknottin
01-20-2013, 01:12 AM
well let's agree to disagree, but don't be surprised when he is here next year.

It's either this year or next that will be his last season here.

TheEnigma
01-20-2013, 03:58 AM
Rolle is great when he plays near the LoS and jams receivers off their routes. He is also one of the better run defenders on the team but you must ask yourself if this limited pros to his game are really worth the $9 mil cap hit. Personally, I think Hill can offer all of that and more if you give him time. I can see why people like Rolle though because of how Tuck has acted as a leader this year.