PDA

View Full Version : Better Giant team 1985 or 1989?

alentown pa
01-18-2013, 06:59 PM
Both were a year away from winning a super bowl, both lost in divisional round. Who was better and why?

alentown pa
01-18-2013, 09:48 PM
even though the 85 team was 10-6 and the 89 team was 12-4, I feel the 85 team was better...they were prbly the 2nd best team in the NFL that year behind the bears.

moosedrool
01-18-2013, 10:03 PM
1985 was better. They lost in the playoffs to the 1985 Bears on the road in subzero wind chill and very high winds. 1985 was a great team, but the Bears in those elements were the better team.

1989 they lost at home in the playoffs to Chrissy Everett.

Astorian
01-18-2013, 10:06 PM
The '85 team was better. They were raw and inexperienced at the beginning of the season, but improved steadily. I didn't expect them to beat Chicago in the playoffs, but even though they lost, it was clear that they were going to be a powerhouse the next year. All the key players (and coaches) were maturing and becoming dominant -- Simms, Morris, LT, Marshall, Burt, Banks, Bavaro. Carson was still in top form. The WR corps, led by McConkey, was good enough, given the monster defense and unstoppable running game. I was confident that 1986 was going to belong to us. Most 'experts' agreed, although at least one member of the NYT staff predicted us for last in the NFC East.! (Typical Liberal irrationality.)

I don't remember the '89 season that well, but I don't think I had the same optimism about that team that I had in '85. The win in '90 was similar to '11, in that we were over-achievers, not dominant beasts.

alentown pa
01-18-2013, 10:15 PM
The '85 team was better. They were raw and inexperienced at the beginning of the season, but improved steadily. I didn't expect them to beat Chicago in the playoffs, but even though they lost, it was clear that they were going to be a powerhouse the next year. All the key players (and coaches) were maturing and becoming dominant -- Simms, Morris, LT, Marshall, Burt, Banks, Bavaro. Carson was still in top form. The WR corps, led by McConkey, was good enough, given the monster defense and unstoppable running game. I was confident that 1986 was going to belong to us. Most 'experts' agreed, although at least one member of the NYT staff predicted us for last in the NFC East.! (Typical Liberal irrationality.)

I don't remember the '89 season that well, but I don't think I had the same optimism about that team that I had in '85. The win in '90 was similar to '11, in that we were over-achievers, not dominant beasts.

great post..however I disagree with the 90 team being over achievers they were 10-0 and worked through an injury to their QB...I do agree the 85 team was better but both the 85 team and the 89 team were the 2nd best teams in the NFL that year...bears and niners were all time great teams...

TCHOF
01-18-2013, 10:24 PM
I thought that the 89 team was going to the SB. I'll never forget that Flipper Anderson loss to the Rams . . .

The 85 team was good but was never going to beat the Bears.

Astorian
01-18-2013, 11:15 PM
great post..however I disagree with the 90 team being over achievers they were 10-0 and worked through an injury to their QB...I do agree the 85 team was better but both the 85 team and the 89 team were the 2nd best teams in the NFL that year...bears and niners were all time great teams...

Fair enough, but to me, winning a SB coming from behind with Hoss at QB, a TD pass to Stephen Baker, Ingram's once-in-a-lifetime RAC for a first down, Reasons's audible fake punt, and Otis Anderson, the slowest RB ever to play the game, being named MVP, against a Bills team that had been anointed 'unbeatable' by virtually all the 'experts', qualifies for 'over-achievement'.

Astorian
01-18-2013, 11:21 PM
I thought that the 89 team was going to the SB. I'll never forget that Flipper Anderson loss to the Rams . . .

Ah, yes, Flipper. Over the years I've been reasonably successful in blanking that one out of the memory bank. Thanks for reminding me.

Diamondring
01-18-2013, 11:45 PM
I will say the one that had the hardest schedule. I will pick the 85 Giants.

gumby74
01-18-2013, 11:53 PM

alentown pa
01-19-2013, 08:31 PM

the flipper play and that horrible PI call in Overtime