PDA

View Full Version : Andre Brown injury affected G-men season

LT_Hits
01-19-2013, 10:29 AM
While looking at the 4 teams left and wondering why the Giants did not complete the 49er rematch with the Raven/Patriot rematch sets for the superbowl. the Andre Brown injury loom huge. Andre was one of the most consistent factors on this offense and when he went down you can tell this offense started to struggle, esp in the red(green) zone.

slipknottin
01-19-2013, 10:32 AM
Andre injured + bradshaw hurt meant they had really no one capable of pass protection. They clearly did not trust Wilson to do it.

The ravens took full advantage of it sending DB pressure all game, which the backs have to take care of.

BigBlueAllDay
01-19-2013, 10:56 AM
It's makes it even easier for defenses when Nicks is playing injured and completely shut down with single man coverage.

radar-ray
01-19-2013, 11:48 AM
While looking at the 4 teams left and wondering why the Giants did not complete the 49er rematch with the Raven/Patriot rematch sets for the superbowl. the Andre Brown injury loom huge. Andre was one of the most consistent factors on this offense and when he went down you can tell this offense started to struggle, esp in the red(green) zone. Agree with this 100%. I had a very bad feeling when he got hurt, for him and for how it would effect our O.

joemorrisforprez
01-19-2013, 11:51 AM
While looking at the 4 teams left and wondering why the Giants did not complete the 49er rematch with the Raven/Patriot rematch sets for the superbowl. the Andre Brown injury loom huge. Andre was one of the most consistent factors on this offense and when he went down you can tell this offense started to struggle, esp in the red(green) zone.

Even if Brown stayed healthy, Gilbride wouldn't have used him enough to make a difference.

Gilbride's mancrush on an injured Bradshaw was a major factor for the offensive struggles down the stretch. It's no surprise to me that the best late-season Giants performances includes a heavy dose of Wilson.

RoanokeFan
01-19-2013, 12:06 PM
Even if Brown stayed healthy, Gilbride wouldn't have used him enough to make a difference.

Gilbride's mancrush on an injured Bradshaw was a major factor for the offensive struggles down the stretch. It's no surprise to me that the best late-season Giants performances includes a heavy dose of Wilson.

That's not true, Brown was actually starting both halves of games when he got injured.

slipknottin
01-19-2013, 12:12 PM
Brown played 22% of the total offensive snaps for the season. And he missed 6 games.

RoanokeFan
01-19-2013, 12:22 PM
Brown played 22% of the total offensive snaps for the season. And he missed 6 games.

He took 27 % of the snaps in the Steelers game, 60% in the Bengals game, and 37% in the Packers game when he had 13 carries for 63 yards and a TD before breaking his leg. I think he would have continued to share the load with Bradshaw if he hadn't broken his leg.

LT_Hits
01-19-2013, 12:24 PM

Yeah; I dont know what 6 and 2 giants team you were watching but he was using Andre during that run with Bradshaw and remember; even though Bradshaw had some injury issues, Andre was also sidelined twice this season, with the second being the season ending. Brown had 8 TD with most coming on goal to go situations, when both Bradshaw and Eli could not get the ball across. To add more clarification on my initial statement. The season would ended with the Giants winning at least 1 or 2 more games with a healthy Andre Brown helping in on short yardage situations no matter how many more plays Ahmad would and should get. And those 1 or 2 game wins would be the difference in this team having a chance to defend the championship. With the 4 teams left; I still believe the Giants would have made another run. This group just fell apart due to many issues including injuries.

Astorian
01-19-2013, 12:40 PM
Yeah; I dont know what 6 and 2 giants team you were watching but he was using Andre during that run with Bradshaw and remember; even though Bradshaw had some injury issues, Andre was also sidelined twice this season, with the second being the season ending. Brown had 8 TD with most coming on goal to go situations, when both Bradshaw and Eli could not get the ball across. To add more clarification on my initial statement. The season would ended with the Giants winning at least 1 or 2 more games with a healthy Andre Brown helping in on short yardage situations no matter how many more plays Ahmad would and should get. And those 1 or 2 game wins would be the difference in this team having a chance to defend the championship. With the 4 teams left; I still believe the Giants would have made another run. This group just fell apart due to many issues including injuries.

I agree. We were (barely) able to work around every other injury, but there was no satisfactory replacement for Brown. When he went down I lost all realistic hope for the season.

LT_Hits
01-19-2013, 12:48 PM
I agree. We were (barely) able to work around every other injury, but there was no satisfactory replacement for Brown. When he went down I lost all realistic hope for the season.I felt the same way. When he went down, I knew it was going to be tough sledding with Hakeem not 100%. Brown's effective running even on 3rd and 4 and 5 situations made up for problems in other areas of the offense. And I like how you put it, "We were (barely) able to work around every other injury".

slipknottin
01-19-2013, 12:50 PM
He took 27 % of the snaps in the Steelers game, 60% in the Bengals game, and 37% in the Packers game when he had 13 carries for 63 yards and a TD before breaking his leg. I think he would have continued to share the load with Bradshaw if he hadn't broken his leg.

Yea, Brown would have likely finished the season with around 35-40% of the snaps, then 10% for Wilson, and the remaining 50% for bradshaw.

Thats a fairly good mix. Though for next season I would like to see it more like 33% for each of the three. But injuries change that in a hurry.

barran21
01-19-2013, 01:14 PM
So that's why Webster sucked and was constantly picked on...

nhpgiantsfan
01-19-2013, 01:27 PM
The brown injury was the final dagger, but the Nicks injury is what stalled this offense all season.

joemorrisforprez
01-19-2013, 02:06 PM
That's not true, Brown was actually starting both halves of games when he got injured.

Lumpkin.

RoanokeFan
01-19-2013, 02:09 PM
Yea, Brown would have likely finished the season with around 35-40% of the snaps, then 10% for Wilson, and the remaining 50% for bradshaw.

Thats a fairly good mix. Though for next season I would like to see it more like 33% for each of the three. But injuries change that in a hurry.

I like Bradshaw but he needs to be the # 3 I'm afraid. No better than # 2 I hope to preserve what's left of his feet.

RoanokeFan
01-19-2013, 02:09 PM
Lumpkin.

??

BigBlue1971
01-19-2013, 02:15 PM

i agree! Brown was a beast when he played! i think his injury was a significant factor in us not making the playoffs!

i look forward to him in the lineup next season!

RoanokeFan
01-19-2013, 02:22 PM
i agree! Brown was a beast when he played! i think his injury was a significant factor in us not making the playoffs!

i look forward to him in the lineup next season!

I just learned that if the Giants want him, which I am pretty sure they do, they only have to offer him (and three other ERFAs) a three year vet minimum and he/they have to take it of leave the NFL.

Cloud57
01-19-2013, 02:25 PM
If Bradshaw was healthy to play in Carolina, Brown would have never seen the field.

RoanokeFan
01-19-2013, 02:27 PM
If Bradshaw was healthy to play in Carolina, Brown would have never seen the field.

You can't rewrite history

slipknottin
01-19-2013, 02:27 PM

You mean like how Brown didnt have 52 snaps in week 2 against the Bucs? Oh wait...

Fact is Bradshaw was not taking 100% of the snaps all season. Brown would have got 30% or so of the snaps if bradshaw had stayed healthy all year.

RoanokeFan
01-19-2013, 02:29 PM
You mean like how Brown didnt have 52 snaps in week 2 against the Bucs? Oh wait...

Fact is Bradshaw was not taking 100% of the snaps all season. Brown would have got 30% or so of the snaps if bradshaw had stayed healthy all year.

It's more fun to shoot from the hip :)

BigBlue1971
01-19-2013, 02:32 PM
I just learned that if the Giants want him, which I am pretty sure they do, they only have to offer him (and three other ERFAs) a three year vet minimum and he/they have to take it of leave the NFL.

yea id be surprised if the Giants dont sign him to a good contract!

if his future performances equals what we've seen so far i'll be happy!

RoanokeFan
01-19-2013, 02:35 PM
yea id be surprised if the Giants dont sign him to a good contract!

if his future performances equals what we've seen so far i'll be happy!

They could give him a 3 year vet minimum laced with incentives

joemorrisforprez
01-19-2013, 05:16 PM
??

That's exactly what I was thinking while I was watching Lumpkin getting carries in a critical game that the Giants ultimately lost.

joemorrisforprez
01-19-2013, 05:23 PM

He used Brown mainly when he had no choice. When Brown went down, Gilbride refused to change things up.....he kept leaning on Bradshaw when it was painfully clear that he was not healthy enough to be a difference maker.

Gilbride thinks of running backs as pass blockers first, and it's a big reason why the offense choked at critical points this season.

For example, following a breakthough performance by Wilson, Gilbride goes instead with a journeyman (Lumpkin) the following week.

So, based on what I saw, no, I don't think a healthy Andre Brown would have made a big difference, because as long as Bradhshaw had a pulse, Gilbride thought he was the best option.

If Adrian Peterson was on the Giants, he'd probably probably struggle to get 1000 yards this season.

penguinfarmer
01-19-2013, 06:20 PM
Anyone know where he is in his rehab? I don't know how complex the break was, and I've heard they've put him on the new temporary IR, though not sure if they simply did that to use it prior to expiration. Assuming he is re-sidgned, will he be healthy come TC?

RoanokeFan
01-19-2013, 07:51 PM
That's exactly what I was thinking while I was watching Lumpkin getting carries in a critical game that the Giants ultimately lost.

We've been over this. Lumpkin took a total of 31 snaps over 5 games

MikeyMike01
01-19-2013, 08:10 PM
Doesn't explain why we got shellacked by the Bengals.

Cloud57
01-19-2013, 08:12 PM

Fact is Bradshaw was not taking 100% of the snaps all season. Brown would have got 30% or so of the snaps if bradshaw had stayed healthy all year.Bradshaw got injured in that game

RoanokeFan
01-19-2013, 08:15 PM
Anyone know where he is in his rehab? I don't know how complex the break was, and I've heard they've put him on the new temporary IR, though not sure if they simply did that to use it prior to expiration. Assuming he is re-sidgned, will he be healthy come TC?

There haven't been any updates but the thought was to hopefully have him for the Super Bowl if they got that far.

slipknottin
01-19-2013, 08:21 PM
Bradshaw got injured in that game

And your point is what? Bradshaw would have played 100% of the snaps all season if he didn't get hurt?

That's clearly wrong, and it doesn't matter. Because Bradshaw didn't stay healthy

thomasjmarino
01-19-2013, 09:16 PM
Truth is, it's time to replace Gilbride.
With what looks like what's going to be a much more potent offense next season, we need a much more aggressive OC.
It is what it is.
Loyalty will not win us championships and will only get our HC fired.
BTW, I'm looking forward to watching the New York Browns next season!!!

LT_Hits
01-20-2013, 12:04 AM
He used Brown mainly when he had no choice. When Brown went down, Gilbride refused to change things up.....he kept leaning on Bradshaw when it was painfully clear that he was not healthy enough to be a difference maker.

Gilbride thinks of running backs as pass blockers first, and it's a big reason why the offense choked at critical points this season.

For example, following a breakthough performance by Wilson, Gilbride goes instead with a journeyman (Lumpkin) the following week.

So, based on what I saw, no, I don't think a healthy Andre Brown would have made a big difference, because as long as Bradhshaw had a pulse, Gilbride thought he was the best option.

If Adrian Peterson was on the Giants, he'd probably probably struggle to get 1000 yards this season.let me say it again, because based on this statement, you need some more help getting it. If brown would have stayed healthy this Giant team would have won at the least one more game which will be the difference in making the playoffs. Thats all I was saying. I wasn't saying anything about him getting more carries or plays, he would have just gotten more touches in the "green" zone where we struggled once he was sidelined. It blows my mind that some just cant see that this kid was on the field all the way until he got hurt. And getting hurt by playing football means you were on the field playing in the game. Gimme a break, these clowns just don't get it.

LT_Hits
01-20-2013, 12:26 AM
If Bradshaw was healthy to play in Carolina, Brown would have never seen the field.Your definitely in the cloud, many players in the league get their first chance when a starter goes down. Even Wilson got his chance to start for the first time this season because of injuries to both Bradshaw and Brown. And showed some good signs that he can "contribute". And thats what Brown did, he contributed when he got his opportunity. And he showed that he can be another RB in the G-men run attack period. Also, in actuality, it was the second game of the season vs the TB Bucks where Brown got a look and showed up when Ahmad went down and it was obvious that he needed to get some plays called for him. What a dumb reply from Cloud9 on 57 sauce.

slipknottin
01-20-2013, 12:29 AM
Truth is, it's time to replace Gilbride.
With what looks like what's going to be a much more potent offense next season, we need a much more aggressive OC.
It is what it is.
Loyalty will not win us championships and will only get our HC fired.
BTW, I'm looking forward to watching the New York Browns next season!!!

Giants run one of the most aggressive offenses in the league...

Rat_bastich
01-20-2013, 01:57 AM
Giants run one of the most aggressive offenses in the league...

Was getting ready to say the same thing. They take long shots down the field alot. They might not connect all the time but they definitely gamble.

ELI_HOF_NYG
01-20-2013, 02:06 AM
Was getting ready to say the same thing. They take long shots down the field alot. They might not connect all the time but they definitely gamble.

I think by aggressive he really meant to say unpredictable, which along with aggressive would be nice to see.

Toadofsteel
01-20-2013, 02:10 AM
I think by aggressive he really meant to say unpredictable, which along with aggressive would be nice to see.

Yes, unpredictable would be the word I'd want to see as well. When fans watching from a TV can tell what play is about to happen, you really think opposing DC's who get paid millions to pore over and analyze hours of game tape wouldn't be able to do the same thing?

Killdrive is NOT a creative person. The problem is that he likes to think he is, but any of the times he calls plays like that direct snap to Bradshaw or that fake reverse to Cruz, those are just gimmick plays that, like the long bombs, have a low % rate. By the same token, he seems to avoid some common sense things: play action (especially when Wilson is on the field and the defense pretty much MUST respect that run threat no matter what), using Shotgun formations for what they're actually designed for (passing), etc.

jomo
01-20-2013, 07:12 AM
I think by aggressive he really meant to say unpredictable, which along with aggressive would be nice to see.The Giants offense is anything but unpredictable. Second and long, we run the ball. We do take alot of shots but that is our style and so that isn't unpredictable either.

I would refer to our offense as selectively, predictably aggressive.

joemorrisforprez
01-20-2013, 08:21 PM
let me say it again, because based on this statement, you need some more help getting it. If brown would have stayed healthy this Giant team would have won at the least one more game which will be the difference in making the playoffs. Thats all I was saying. I wasn't saying anything about him getting more carries or plays, he would have just gotten more touches in the "green" zone where we struggled once he was sidelined. It blows my mind that some just cant see that this kid was on the field all the way until he got hurt. And getting hurt by playing football means you were on the field playing in the game. Gimme a break, these clowns just don't get it.

You're entitled to your opinion. The fact that I disagree with you doesn't mean I don't get it. It means I disagree with you.

Personally, I thought Andre Brown was a great addition to this team. I thought he should have gotten alot more involved in the offense.

My opinion, based on Gibride's continued reluctance to play Wilson, is that a healthy Brown would not have made the difference, given Gilbride's over-reliance on an injured Bradshaw.

Wilson was clearly the best option at RB, and yet, in pivotal games v. Atlanta and the Falcons, was barely used.

The same thing happened when Brown was healthy.....Gilbride was clearly of the opinion that a banged-up Bradshaw was the best option.

That's why, during the Ravens game, Gilbride had Bradshaw in the backfield, and Eli almost got killed because Bradshaw couldn't plant nor pivot in pass protection. This, despite the fact that Wilson had scored on a nifty TD run to make it 14-7. After that, Wilson disappeared, and the rout was on.

The same thing would have happened with Brown....again, just my opinion.

joemorrisforprez
01-20-2013, 08:45 PM

I agree.

It's up to Reese to fix the running game, since Gilbride clearly has no clue.

I'm sure Reese was not pleased watching his #1 pick being mothballed for most of the season....a season that ended with the Giants on the outside looking in.