Rudyy
01-19-2013, 10:06 PM
The hell

Carter.525
01-19-2013, 11:22 PM
ehh..

Cloud57
01-19-2013, 11:22 PM
It's possible we may never win another SB with this current team (QB, Coaches etc.)

BigBlueAllDay
01-20-2013, 12:44 AM
hey hey, at least there are many Giants fans including myself that want the Giants to win the Superbowl EVERY year, take no prisoners!

Every year, the team can improve. Every year is an oppurtunity to win it with the talented and special players that we have on the team before Time takes a toll on their bodies.

History dictates that the odds of a Repeat are slim, winning the Superbowl at the home stadium is impossible, etc... I say screw all that!

The Giants write their own history that includes being the only NFL in team history to knock off an 18-0 team at the Superbowl.

17 years is unacceptable!

Toadofsteel
01-20-2013, 03:25 AM
Parcells leaving the team along with George Young running it into the ground are why we had to wait 17 years. TC is only leaving the team at this point to retire. Reese doesn't have George Young's ego.

Rat_bastich
01-20-2013, 03:51 AM
It's possible we may never win another SB with this current team (QB, Coaches etc.)

Sunshine on my shoulder makes me happy....ahhh the good old days of John Denver.

Rat_bastich
01-20-2013, 03:54 AM
Parcells leaving the team along with George Young running it into the ground are why we had to wait 17 years. TC is only leaving the team at this point to retire. Reese doesn't have George Young's ego.

Yeah, it was a contention of ego's dealing with the front office and coaching and neither would back down. Pretty much the same with Parcells and Jones in Dallas. It definitely set the Giants back until Fassel came in and managed to stabilize it long enough for Coughlin...who the Giants wanted before Fassel.

RoanokeFan
01-20-2013, 08:02 AM

Young brought this franchise out of the dark ages.

http://www.nytimes.com/2001/12/10/sports/george-young-71-former-giants-general-manager-dies.html?ref=georgeyoung

"Before Young was hired by the Giants in 1979, they had not reached the playoffs since 1963.

During his tenure, they reached the playoffs in eight seasons, won their division title four times and produced three N.F.L. coaches of the year: Bill Parcells in 1986, Dan Reeves in 1993 and Jim Fassel in 1997. Young's crowning glory was victories in Super Bowl XXI after the 1986 season and in Super Bowl XXV after the 1990 season, both times with Parcells as coach.

His first draft choice, in 1979, was Simms, who became a Super Bowl most valuable player.

His first draft choice in 1981 was Taylor, who turned into one of the best defensive players in history.

''It still amazes me that he chose me in the first round,'' Simms said yesterday. ''To take a guy from Morehead State with his first pick ever, it's pretty amazing.''Young was a private person, dignified, often stubborn and cranky, honorable and analytical, an old-school conservative who had good relationships with many player agents and little tolerance for those he felt were unreasonable.

As the agent Leigh Steinberg said: ''Even though he had that gruff exterior, he was tremendous in his ability to give advice and counsel. He enjoyed playing the surface curmudgeon, but inside he had a heart of gold.''In 1981, Young hired Parcells, the New England Patriots' linebacker coach, as defensive coordinator. Two years later, when Ray Perkins left to become head coach at the University of Alabama, Young made Parcells the Giants' head coach. At times, their relationship became contentious because Parcells wanted a greater voice about personnel."

SweetZombieJesus
01-20-2013, 08:03 AM
First two - 1986-1990
Last two 2007-2011

Parcells won in year 4 and 8; Coughlin won in year 4 and 8.

Tom didn't quit after rookie mini camp and name Kevin Gilbride head coach. He stayed for a 9th year, so we've already broken new ground.

Die-Hard
01-20-2013, 08:39 AM
By the time Eli is done, he'll have 3 rings. Just a prediction

stormblue
01-20-2013, 08:39 AM
Parcells won in year 4 and 8; Coughlin won in year 4 and 8.

Tom didn't quit after rookie mini camp and name Kevin Gilbride head coach. He stayed for a 9th year, so we've already broken new ground.

yup.... home for the playoffs....nice new ground.

penguinfarmer
01-20-2013, 08:42 AM
Trends that span different decades are silly, as if one has an effect on the other.

Toadofsteel
01-20-2013, 09:14 AM
Young brought this franchise out of the dark ages.

...and dumped us right back in the dark ages with the whole Ray Handley debacle. Thank God Accorsi wasn't nearly as egotistical...

RoanokeFan
01-20-2013, 09:25 AM
...and dumped us right back in the dark ages with the whole Ray Handley debacle. Thank God Accorsi wasn't nearly as egotistical...

You are rewriting history . Parcells screwed the Giants by packing his bags in the middle of the night like a spoiled child who didn't get his way and blindsided the team. It was Parcells who suggested they promote Handley in May, long after every possible available HC was already in place. There is no doubt that Handley was a poor choice, but there were not many alternatives. Both Coughlin and Belichick had moved on by that time..

Toadofsteel
01-20-2013, 09:32 AM
By the time Eli is done, he'll have 3 rings. Just a prediction

I'd like to think 4 rings.

Toadofsteel
01-20-2013, 09:34 AM
You are rewriting history . Parcells screwed the Giants by packing his bags in the middle of the night like a spoiled child who didn't get his way and blindsided the team. It was Parcells who suggested they promote Handley in May, long after every possible available HC was already in place. There is no doubt that Handley was a poor choice, but there were not many alternatives. Both Coughlin and Belichick had moved on by that time..

Fair enough. But did he wait until may on purpose, or did he just feel as though he didn't have enough control over the team and make a snap decision like that?

BigBlue wins
01-20-2013, 10:46 AM
It's not going to be another 17 years lol....Coughlin needs to trim fat better on the roster. We are only a few draft picks away from being in the playoff mix again.

RoanokeFan
01-20-2013, 11:05 AM
Fair enough. But did he wait until may on purpose, or did he just feel as though he didn't have enough control over the team and make a snap decision like that?

He did it out of spite

RoanokeFan
01-20-2013, 11:07 AM
It's not going to be another 17 years lol....Coughlin needs to trim fat better on the roster. We are only a few draft picks away from being in the playoff mix again. That's Reese's job

Redeyejedi
01-20-2013, 11:08 AM
Even if Coughlin and Eli dont win another Super Bowl Id say they had a very successful era

GTGiantsFan
01-20-2013, 11:30 AM
I like this topic, different kind of conversations stimulating from it.

Carter.525
01-20-2013, 11:53 AM
Giants will be playing at home in the SB next year..:cool:

Die-Hard
01-20-2013, 12:10 PM

He made it a pattern to bail on teams, Miami and Dallas being good examples, but I think he pretty much walked away unexpectedly from every team he has been a part of, be it as a HC or a front office guy. Hell, he even took the Bucs job, and then changed his mind at the last second, leaving them high and dry. He practically had the pen in his hand to sign the deal

Antwuan
01-20-2013, 12:19 PM
Giants will be playing at home in the SB next year..:cool:

I hope you're right.

BleedinBlue72
01-20-2013, 12:23 PM
Not with Eli on the team, we will see next year!!

Cloud57
01-20-2013, 12:38 PM
By the time Eli is done, he'll have 3 rings. Just a predictionI think there's a very good chance Eli will get another ring, but the fact he been having a weak/tired arm at this point in his career is concerning.

Rudyy
01-20-2013, 12:42 PM
I think there's a very good chance Eli will get another ring, but the fact he been having a weak/tired arm at this point in his career is concerning.He does not have a weak/tired arm.

RoanokeFan
01-20-2013, 01:00 PM
He made it a pattern to bail on teams, Miami and Dallas being good examples, but I think he pretty much walked away unexpectedly from every team he has been a part of, be it as a HC or a front office guy. Hell, he even took the Bucs job, and then changed his mind at the last second, leaving them high and dry. He practically had the pen in his hand to sign the deal

I think at least

RoanokeFan
01-20-2013, 01:01 PM
He does not have a weak/tired arm.

How tired could his arm get from carrying that tiny pail around the beach? :rolleyes:

nhpgiantsfan
01-20-2013, 01:39 PM
You can blame GMs and coaches all you want. I think it has more to do with not being able to find a QB until Kerry Collins came along. The bridge between Simms and Collins was pretty horrible. Collins wasn't great but he was far more respectable than his predecessors. He actually had a couple real good years here.

Cloud57
01-20-2013, 01:45 PM
He does not have a weak/tired arm.not saying he does but he was showing signs of having a tired arm during mid season but that could be from throwing the ball more than he's used to.

RoanokeFan
01-20-2013, 01:49 PM
not saying he does but he was showing signs of having a tired arm during mid season but that could be from throwing the ball more than he's used to.

We're going to have a real running game this season to help take whatever overload there might be off

miked1958
01-20-2013, 01:57 PM
BB will resign as coach of Patriots after next season and take over as giants coach to finish out last few yrs of his career. He will get us another few Rings. He has expressed/ hinted interest in finishing out with giants

RoanokeFan
01-20-2013, 02:02 PM
BB will resign as coach of Patriots after next season and take over as giants coach to finish out last few yrs of his career. He will get us another few Rings. He has expressed/ hinted interest in finishing out with giants

Have a link for those hints?

nhpgiantsfan
01-20-2013, 02:07 PM

That's not going to happen. He's not leaving Tom Brady.

RoanokeFan
01-20-2013, 02:12 PM
That's not going to happen. He's not leaving Tom Brady.

It would also be quite a slap in the face to Bob Kraft who stood behind BB in the wake of Spygate.

BigBlue1971
01-20-2013, 03:15 PM
Do we need to wait another 17 years?

naw we wont wait that long for another trophy!

i give this team a good shot to win maybe in the next 3-4 years again!

Eli wont have another year like he did last year! he'll only get better and hes our best chance to do it!

slipknottin
01-20-2013, 03:34 PM
The giants win one SB a decade.

So we have at least 7 more years.

Die-Hard
01-20-2013, 03:37 PM

So he's gonna leave a perfect situation, where his team is a constant contender deep into the playoffs, and has arguably the best QB in the game, not to mention major input into personnel decisions...to come back to a team with a lot of question marks, an older, injury-prone roster(at key positions), and with no cap room to work with?

Believe me, I am NOT hating on our guys in the slightest, but he'd be a damn fool to walk away from what he has now and into our current situation. The Pats are without a doubt the best run organization in the NFL.

miked1958
01-20-2013, 05:51 PM
Have a link for those hints?during the tour of giants stadium he eluded to something of the sort. Didnt come right out and say it but that's the feeling you get

Dorothy
01-20-2013, 08:46 PM

We oldtimers waited 30years, and we survived. How sweet that 1986 year was. So stop bellyaching, enjoy what we have. You could be a Philly fan. That team can't win the big one even with a dream team.