PDA

View Full Version : Weird coincidence....

Manning2Niks
12-24-2011, 11:24 PM
After the JPP block vs Dallas someone posted on here questioning why players don't line up a the goal post the try and knock it out.

Welp.

Just watched the Chiefs highlights and guess what happens? Short kick, player at the goal post, jump to try and block it.

Now, I'm pretty sure he was there to return the kick should it fall way short, but when it looked like it might be close (but still short mind you) he jumped to try and block it.

Just thought it was interesting and wanted to share in case the poster who mentioned it missed the kick and opens this thread..

Did you guys know the Giants are a game away from winning the division after today??

KidA
12-24-2011, 11:27 PM
What do you mean? Are you talking about jumping and knocking away a ball that would otherwise have barely made it over the crossbar? That doesn't seem very likely.

miked1958
12-24-2011, 11:31 PM
What do you mean?* Are you talking about jumping and knocking away a ball that would otherwise have barely made it over the crossbar?* That doesn't seem very likely.

Yes.. If he is back there to make a return on a short kick then it's fine to try and block it

touchdown44
12-25-2011, 12:55 AM
in that thread you mentioned, somebody looked up the rulebook and found out that if you block it in front of the goal posr and then it goes out of bounds its a safety. So you need to block it and then also catch it before it goes out of bounds or you give up two points.

fansince69
12-25-2011, 10:42 AM
in that thread you mentioned, somebody looked up the rulebook and found out that if you block it in front of the goal posr and then it goes out of bounds its a safety. So you need to block it and then also catch it before it goes out of bounds or you give up two points.

My math might be rusty but Isn't 2 points better than 3 points?

few seconds left on clock my team is winning 16-13,other team lines up for a 50+ yard field goal......Doesn't 2 points look better in this scenario?......I do realize the chances are next to zero,but stranger things have happened in the NFL.

appodictic
12-25-2011, 10:51 AM

few seconds left on clock my team is winning 16-13,other team lines up for a 50+ yard field goal......Doesn't 2 points look better in this scenario?......I do realize the chances are next to zero,but stranger things have happened in the NFL.

+1 remember when a long fg got returned for a TD.

Mercury
12-25-2011, 10:53 AM

2 points is less than three, but then you have to kickoff rather than receive. I think most everyone would rather get the ball back.

fansince69
12-25-2011, 12:05 PM

2 points is less than three, but then you have to kickoff rather than receive. I think most everyone would rather get the ball back.

with few seconds left on clock...no one is getting ball back

NYGRealityCheck
12-25-2011, 12:31 PM
If teams started doing that, the NFL would just implement a goal-tending rule. Also, the player cannot touch the goalpost as it's out of bounds and once a player is out of bounds, he cannot be the first player to touch the ball.
Chances are low (literally too lol) for that scenario to happen...plus, you're taking one player away from FG block formation.

What i'd like to see happen once is when it comes down to a game-ending FG, you know the other team has to send everyone to block it. Knowing this, send 1-2 people (who can catch and run) down field for a bootleg Fake FG pass for a touchdown. lol