PDA

View Full Version : Looks like the days of drop back QB are over....

Hooligans
01-20-2013, 07:41 PM
After watching Kaepernick todays, along with RGIII and Wilson, and even Luck....the days of the drop back QB are over....I hope the Giants are looking for drafting a QB to take over for Eli in the next year or two.......the days of Eli are numbered.

Cloud57
01-20-2013, 07:44 PM
not if we have a good defense

KillaRich
01-20-2013, 07:46 PM
Lets take a look at the 5 most recent sb winning qb's shall we

Sundown
01-20-2013, 07:52 PM
I doubt it. D coordinators will catch up while clueless teams spend 1st round picks on running QBs; not to mention the shelf life of these running QBs it's all a fad and will pass

RoanokeFan
01-20-2013, 07:59 PM
After watching Kaepernick todays, along with RGIII and Wilson, and even Luck....the days of the drop back QB are over....I hope the Giants are looking for drafting a QB to take over for Eli in the next year or two.......the days of Eli are numbered.

That's what they said about the wildcat too

nycisgreat
01-20-2013, 08:01 PM

Until I see guys like Kaepernick have as much success as Joe Montana, Tom Brady, Peyton Manning, then I would agree. What Kaepernick is doing isn't anything new.

Dorothy
01-20-2013, 08:08 PM
I doubt it. D coordinators will catch up while clueless teams spend 1st round picks on running QBs; not to mention the shelf life of these running QBs it's all a fad and will pass

AMEN

gmen0820
01-20-2013, 08:10 PM
Lol if the Pats make the SB and BB has two weeks to come up with a gameplan for him, forget about it.

TheEnigma
01-20-2013, 08:12 PM

I agree. We should trade up to the #1 overall pick and give the Chiefs Eli Manning, 5 future 1st rounders, and Jerry Reese so we can draft Colin Klein.

BigBlueAllDay
01-20-2013, 08:32 PM
No way on Collin Klein. All these QBs mentioned can throw the ball like the rest in addition to their mobility. That's the main difference and that's why the read option offense is going to the Superbowl. Kaepernick beat the Falcons with his arm today plus a couple of RB rushing TDs off the read option.

GoDeep80
01-20-2013, 09:31 PM
Extremely Mobile- Luck, Vick, RG3, Wilson, Kap, Newton
Mobile- Rodgers, Romo, Tannehill, Locker, Cutler, Dalton, Fitzpatrick, Ponder
Statues- Eli, Peyton, Brady, Palmer, Big Ben(just strong as ****), Flacco, Ryan, Rivers, Cardinal QBs, Chiefs QBs.

The Future- Logan Thomas, Geno Smith, Johnny Football, Tahj Boyd
All Big Name QB Prospects

gfd_2
01-20-2013, 10:18 PM
+1, once they get hurt running around they're done.

NorwoodBlue
01-20-2013, 10:20 PM
Actually, I think the NFL has been transitioning to pass defense for so long now that most teams are very susceptible to a big power running team with a drop back passer using play action. I think the old fashioned, massive, pancake blocking OL could run right over most defenses right now. Teams would have to bring 8 in the box to stop the run, then the play action opens up a lot of home run balls. I think the demise of the running game, and the pocket paser are way over rated.

jomo
01-20-2013, 11:04 PM
After watching Kaepernick todays, along with RGIII and Wilson, and even Luck....the days of the drop back QB are over....I hope the Giants are looking for drafting a QB to take over for Eli in the next year or two.......the days of Eli are numbered.RGIII, your boy Luck and Wilson are no where to be seen. Flacco is about as slow a QB as you will ever see as is Brady at this point. Matt Ryan is a straight up drop back QB so 3 of the 4 guys in the semi finals are true drop back quarterbacks but you are saying that their day is over while the running QB's are home or in the hospital. Not very strong logic there.

Cloud57
01-20-2013, 11:05 PM
RGIII, your boy Luck and Wilson are no where to be seen. Flacco is about as slow a QB as you will ever see as is Brady at this point. Matt Ryan is a straight up drop back QB so 3 of the 4 guys in the semi finals are true drop back quarterbacks but you are saying that their day is over while the running QB's are home or in the hospital. Not very strong logic there.Flacco is the luckiest QB right now lol, people say that about Eli too

Toadofsteel
01-20-2013, 11:06 PM
All 4 of the title game candidates this year can function as pocket passers. Kappa is more mobile than the other three, but he was very successful this week as a passer (16/21, which is almost 75% completion, and only 2 rushes, incidentally for 21 yards), and the 49ers don't really run a read-option offense like Seattle or Washington.

TroyArcher
01-20-2013, 11:07 PM

Your analysis in underwhelming. I recommend you take up tennis.

TCHOF
01-20-2013, 11:11 PM
Flacco is the luckiest QB right now lol, people say that about Eli too

Why is Flacco lucky? He played very well tonight.

Buddy333
01-20-2013, 11:41 PM
Don't get all the hate for Flacco. He is a good QB.

bearbryant
01-20-2013, 11:42 PM
I see it and I'll believe it! Otherwise, I'll keep me some of those statue QB's like Eli!!!

ELI_HOF_NYG
01-20-2013, 11:49 PM

Billy Madison - Ultimate Insult (Academic Decathlon) - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=5hfYJsQAhl0)

NYG4lifeNYK
01-21-2013, 12:00 AM
Don't be ridiculous.

BurnerNYG
01-21-2013, 05:28 AM
RGIII, your boy Luck and Wilson are no where to be seen. Flacco is about as slow a QB as you will ever see as is Brady at this point. Matt Ryan is a straight up drop back QB so 3 of the 4 guys in the semi finals are true drop back quarterbacks but you are saying that their day is over while the running QB's are home or in the hospital. Not very strong logic there.RG3 and Russell Wilson had to play each other Wildcard week so you can't really go off that plus Griffin had a broken leg for a few weeks so he wouldn't have went far regardless. Luck, Griffin and Wilson are rookies and they all made the playoffs... that says a lot if you ask me. I don't think the days of drop back QB's are over but I do believe that the game is changing and more coaches are gonna wanna open up the playbook. That Chip Kelly signing shows the direction that a lot of teams are heading to. I don't think coaches knew how to use these athletes before... just my opinion.

penguinfarmer
01-21-2013, 06:20 AM
lol One of those QBs mentioned has already shredded his knee. Meanwhile, Eli is adding to his league-leading consecutive QB start streak.

Out of Exile
01-21-2013, 06:40 AM
Awful thread.

Kruunch
01-21-2013, 08:25 AM

People say that every year a running QB does well.

Running QBs don't last in this league. If you can't be a pocket passer, you won't make it as an NFL QB.

gmen0820
01-21-2013, 09:46 AM
I hope Kaep proves everyone wrong, but the Ravens are this years hottest team going into the playoffs.

Redeyejedi
01-21-2013, 09:53 AM
Why is Flacco lucky? He played very well tonight. i dont think most fans of other teams realize how good Flacco has been, especially in the Playoffs the last few years. Last 7 games he has been brilliant

Redeyejedi
01-21-2013, 10:09 AM
A lot of U believe these QB's arent accomplished passers , should of watched them in college. Kaepernick was a so so passer but he had all the tools to be very good. He had the knack for the huge play. So u give a little i completion percentage to get chunk plays. I still dont like his mechanics but his arm strength makes up for the hitch in his delivery.
Griffin and Wilson were both fantastic passers.The only guy I didnt really like of these 3 was the highest drafted 1 Robert Griffin. It wasnt because of his skill but I thought he couldnt take the pounding of an NFL regular season. He already tore up his knee at Baylor and his frame looked tailor made for serious leg injuries with his long skinny limbs.

Giantslb66
01-21-2013, 10:13 AM
I doubt it. D coordinators will catch up while clueless teams spend 1st round picks on running QBs; not to mention the shelf life of these running QBs it's all a fad and will pass Just take a look at RG Knee, he is already damaged goods.

GameTime
01-21-2013, 10:13 AM
ah.....shut up already......

Flip Empty
01-21-2013, 10:15 AM
i dont think most fans of other teams realize how good Flacco has been, especially in the Playoffs the last few years. Last 7 games he has been brilliant
He's been derided by the media in the past - it's those impressions that seem to stick.

Kruunch
01-21-2013, 10:17 AM
i dont think most fans of other teams realize how good Flacco has been, especially in the Playoffs the last few years. Last 7 games he has been brilliant

+1

Flacco has been very underrated for how well he's played.

shocknaweny
01-21-2013, 12:24 PM
Eli Manning is not going anywhere in the near future. And RGIII"s career is probably over after that gruesome knee injury !!!

OX1
01-21-2013, 12:38 PM
Until I see guys like Kaepernick have as much success as Joe Montana, Tom Brady, Peyton Manning, then I would agree. What Kaepernick is doing isn't anything new.

Maybe, but he seems to be the only one doing it in a manner that will prolong his shelf life.

njg85m
01-21-2013, 12:42 PM
The traditional QB is here to stay, case closed.

These wild scramblers, while exciting to watch, very rarely win championships because they are just too likely to miss games -- among other reasons..

Take a look at Michael Vick. Even in his prime his team pretty much conceded that he's not likely to play more than 12-13 games a year.

bashful
01-21-2013, 01:10 PM
get a life. the shelf life of those guys will be limited. The dropback QB was gone with the spread, shotgun, wildcat etc. Option play at the pro level is insane. Just a matter of time before DC catch up.

BigBlueAllDay
01-21-2013, 01:15 PM
There will be more teams with these kinds of QBs to gain a winning edge. High risk-high reward and the bottom tier teams have nothing to lose. Doesn't matter if these QBs don't last, they're just trying to give themselves and their offense a chance.

BurnerNYG
01-21-2013, 01:29 PM
lol One of those QBs mentioned has already shredded his knee. Meanwhile, Eli is adding to his league-leading consecutive QB start streak.Because of his refusal to slide, not his playing style. He got hit in the knee diving head first. Kaep on the other hand slides when he sees contact coming.

Sarcasman
01-21-2013, 10:34 PM

Sure.

Right after we all adapt to the 46 defense, the Wildcat and countless other wrinkles that ultimately add up to...........wrinkles.

moosedrool
01-21-2013, 11:45 PM
ah.....shut up already......

I see you are your usual miserable self.

moosedrool
01-21-2013, 11:49 PM
Kaepernick's knee will end up like RG III's. Those long and skinny legs are more vulnerable than RG III's. It's just a matter of time. And how many concussion's has Vick had? No thanks.

GameTime
01-22-2013, 09:02 AM
I see you are your usual miserable self.
me miserable....nah...
I am a happy go lucky kind of guy...
Hooligans is a button pusher and I like to respond with a "shut up".....
what's so bad about that....