PDA

View Full Version : Martellus Bennett "Plans On Retiring" With The Giants

RoanokeFan
01-21-2013, 08:54 AM
http://www.giants101.com/2013/01/21/martellus-bennett-plans-on-retiring-with-the-new-york-giants/

Excerpt: "Tight end Martellus Bennett (http://www.giants101.com/tag/martellus-bennett/) has only been with the New York (http://www.giants101.com/tag/new-york/) Giants for one season, and despite facing a free agency period where he can likely cash in, the five-year veteran is already thinking about retiring in blue.

During a Q&A hosted on his Twitter – something he does daily – Bennett was asked by a fan "How do you feel about your chances of returning to the Giants?" Always honest and upfront, Bennett gave a very blunt answer.

"I plan on retiring here,"Bennett tweeted (https://twitter.com/1987marty/status/292735484331966464)." Read more...

PBTimmons
01-21-2013, 09:26 AM
Gotta love this guy's attitude. I wish Cruz would say something like that...

Carter.525
01-21-2013, 09:59 AM
Bennett has heart..... a Unicorn heart..

RoanokeFan
01-21-2013, 10:51 AM
Gotta love this guy's attitude. I wish Cruz would say something like that... Cruz has said it

PBTimmons
01-21-2013, 11:05 AM
Cruz has said it

I'll admit I have heard Cruz say he wants to retire a Giant. But I think there is a difference between planning and wanting. Paired with the fact that Bennett has also said he would consider taking a discount to stay here.

I'm not saying that Cruz isn't as selfless as Bennett either, it could just be a case of Cruz's management having him stay a little more tight lipped than Bennett's.

Either way, Bennett has had an opportunity to see the grass on the other side, Cruz hasn't. I believe it's affecting Bennett's approach to this considerably.

dezzzR
01-21-2013, 11:41 AM
I hope he does. He had a good first season here. Hell only get better.

laylow28
01-21-2013, 11:45 AM
Would love to have the Unicorn get a long term contract.

mike kennedy
01-21-2013, 11:47 AM
I like this guy! He is all about playing football and we desperately need a personality like his on the team right now. I really believe in MB.

BuffyBlueII
01-21-2013, 11:57 AM
I like this guy! He is all about playing football and we desperately need a personality like his on the team right now. I really believe in MB.

I do too. He had a really good first season for us and he will be a huge part of this offense as his role grows. I would love for him to stay and also to get an OC that can implement a better offensive scheme and use the weapons we have properly.

njg85m
01-21-2013, 12:09 PM
He's definitely appreciative of the opportunity that he was given.

RoanokeFan
01-21-2013, 12:25 PM
I'll admit I have heard Cruz say he wants to retire a Giant. But I think there is a difference between planning and wanting. Paired with the fact that Bennett has also said he would consider taking a discount to stay here.

I'm not saying that Cruz isn't as selfless as Bennett either, it could just be a case of Cruz's management having him stay a little more tight lipped than Bennett's.

Either way, Bennett has had an opportunity to see the grass on the other side, Cruz hasn't. I believe it's affecting Bennett's approach to this considerably.

Cruz and his handlers are very wise not to discuss any details in public. Cruz has expressed his thanks to the Giants any number of times. It remains to be seen if he will be a Giant of the future.

Cloud57
01-21-2013, 12:38 PM
Cruz and his handlers are very wise not to discuss any details in public. Cruz has expressed his thanks to the Giants any number of times. It remains to be seen if he will be a Giant of the future.I'm a bit surprised he doesn't have a contract yet, is it because we don't have any cap space since we can't cut anyone?

Antwuan
01-21-2013, 12:41 PM
Nice!

RoanokeFan
01-21-2013, 12:43 PM
I'm a bit surprised he doesn't have a contract yet, is it because we don't have any cap space since we can't cut anyone?

It will happen before March 12th or Cruz may well be history here. So much of who they can re-sign depends on who they can release and at what cost. They can put a tender on Cruz, which hasn't happened yet, but that doesn't mean another team won't pay the price for him with a bigger contract. Personally, I think they will get a deal done.

BigBlueAllDay
01-21-2013, 01:03 PM
Cruz is going to get paid either way. It's about time and I couldn't be more happier for him. Bennett is a keeper and should be high in the priority of being re-signed.

hadenough
01-21-2013, 01:13 PM
I like Martellus...seems like a good guy, but I think it would be a mistake to put that kind of money into the TE position. The Giants' offense doesn't rely on the TE enough to warrant a million dollar contract. Jake Ballard and Kevin Boss were low cost players that were just as effective as Bennett. Hopefully he gets a nice contract but not with the Giants.

giantsfan420
01-21-2013, 03:23 PM

Either way, Bennett has had an opportunity to see the grass on the other side, Cruz hasn't. I believe it's affecting Bennett's approach to this considerably.GREAT point. bennetts seen how other franchises, supposed top quality ones, are run and for whatever reason, he prefers it here way more. i hope he retires a giant too, after a solid 7-12 yrs lol and he becomes the next tony g.

G-MANning4Life
01-21-2013, 03:25 PM
I'm glad to hear this. If he is utilized more in the coming season, he can be a great asset to the team.

giantsfan420
01-21-2013, 03:26 PM
I do too. He had a really good first season for us and he will be a huge part of this offense as his role grows. I would love for him to stay and also to get an OC that can implement a better offensive scheme and use the weapons we have properly.he had about as good a year as a giants TE's had, and the scary thing, i dont think he even came close to reaching the potential he has. in todays game, the middle of the field is often the best way to attack defenses, ESPECIALLY with nicks and cruz on the outside. KG better start using the TE as much as possible bc MB is more than talented enough to be a legit 1 option...ideally, imo, this offense running at its best all year would produce a 1,000 yd 60 reception, 6-8 TD season from MB in combo with Nicks n Cruz...

Toadofsteel
01-21-2013, 03:44 PM
Bennett realizes that we can give him something no other team really can in this day and age: a system that works best with his skills. Bennett is a beast in blocking, and we're one of the few teams that looks at TE first as a blocker and second as a receiver.

TopleyBird
01-21-2013, 03:53 PM
Come on, JR. Find the money to resign the guy. Every team needs guys like this who are team first and play with heart

RoanokeFan
01-21-2013, 04:02 PM
Bennett realizes that we can give him something no other team really can in this day and age: a system that works best with his skills. Bennett is a beast in blocking, and we're one of the few teams that looks at TE first as a blocker and second as a receiver.

He convinced me he belonged when, during an interview, he said his worth wasn't just about his receiving numbers but his ability to block effectively. Understanding that is not something every TE has been able to do.

NYG4lifeNYK
01-21-2013, 04:13 PM
LOVE this guy!!!

LOVED him ever since he signed with us.... man we REALLY do have the best organization in the world... it seems almost every player that signs with us says they feel at home and state over and over that they LOVE our organization. Stacy Andrews said the same when he was here.

Hats off to our organization.... the best in all of sports.

Drez
01-21-2013, 04:17 PM
He convinced me he belonged when, during an interview, he said his worth wasn't just about his receiving numbers but his ability to block effectively. Understanding that is not something every TE has been able to do.
Yeah. He seems like he can be a great all around player for us. And having the desire to get in the trenches and doing the dirty work is definitely a rare trait nowadays. Hopefully, we can lock him up for long term deal.

RoanokeFan
01-21-2013, 04:19 PM
Yeah. He seems like he can be a great all around player for us. And having the desire to get in the trenches and doing the dirty work is definitely a rare trait nowadays. Hopefully, we can lock him up for long term deal.

I am expecting him to produce Bavaro type numbers and effort.

Drez
01-21-2013, 04:20 PM
I am expecting him to produce Bavaro type numbers and effort.Would saying that would be pleasant be an understatement?

RoanokeFan
01-21-2013, 04:32 PM
Would saying that would be pleasant be an understatement?

For his first year, he was very close to Shockey numbers who was second only to Bavaro.

Drez
01-21-2013, 04:38 PM
For his first year, he was very close to Shockey numbers who was second only to Bavaro.True. And we still have people that think we should try and get Ballard back to replace Bennett. I wouldn't be opposed to getting Ballard back as our second TE, though. That would allow us to disguise our offense a little more when we break out the 2 TE sets, because Ballard is/was decent as a receiving TE, too.

gumby74
01-21-2013, 04:39 PM
that home town discount has to be a real discount.

bearbryant
01-21-2013, 04:40 PM
I am expecting him to produce Bavaro type numbers and effort.
We gave him a shot and he performed, great first year. I'd cherish Bavaro type numbers and effort but please leave the injuries aside!

BigBlue1971
01-21-2013, 05:18 PM
im glad Marty B feels that way about the Giants! im confident he will be resigned with a long term contract!

besides hes our best option at tight end and can only grow in this offense!

RoanokeFan
01-27-2013, 05:14 PM
I was looking through PFF's 2013 free agent list and was surprised to see Bennett's at the top with a rating of 12.5. It stands out because of who is in second place with a rating of 6.1 - Tony Gonzalez

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2013/01/01/free-agent-tight-ends/

TomCat_FIN
01-28-2013, 02:56 AM
I think Bennett can still be better than he was this season. At times he looked like he could be unstoppable but then at times he disappeared and looked uniterested. If he plays with some edge to his game the whole time, I don't see why he couldn't be a Pro Bowler in the future.

Toadofsteel
01-28-2013, 03:20 AM
I was looking through PFF's 2013 free agent list and was surprised to see Bennett's at the top with a rating of 12.5. It stands out because of who is in second place with a rating of 6.1 - Tony Gonzalez

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2013/01/01/free-agent-tight-ends/

Bennett has years left. If Gonzalez is not on a diehl-like decline now, he will be soon...

GiantRoc
01-28-2013, 03:35 AM
I hope Eli looks for him more. There were a lot of games were he was open across the middle or up the seam. Eli just didn't look his way at times. He gave up on routes now and then. Wonder if he just figured Eli wouldn't go his way. Hope Gilbride has the ability to use him as a primary target on occassion. I think I was most impressed by his playing through a very painful knee condition. Oh and by the way, he can't block. I heard Collinseorth say so. (Red ink that last sentence ).

Toadofsteel
01-28-2013, 03:54 AM
I hope Eli looks for him more. There were a lot of games were he was open across the middle or up the seam. Eli just didn't look his way at times. He gave up on routes now and then. Wonder if he just figured Eli wouldn't go his way. Hope Gilbride has the ability to use him as a primary target on occassion. I think I was most impressed by his playing through a very painful knee condition. Oh and by the way, he can't block. I heard Collinseorth say so. (Red ink that last sentence ).

Then what you want for draft christmas is a new OT... Eli + time = production. Eli - time = interception

RoanokeFan
01-28-2013, 07:54 AM

Bennett was second in receptions to Cruz in 2012. He's a solid blocker and understands his main task is blocking.

RoanokeFan
01-28-2013, 07:55 AM
Then what you want for draft christmas is a new OT... Eli + time = production. Eli - time = interception

I know we do BPA but I truly hope that translates into an offensive lineman in the 1st or 2nd rounds

Redeyejedi
01-28-2013, 09:25 AM
I wonder if the Pats would go hard at Cruz. Welker is a FA so they have some money available at that spot anyway. They would get a younger more explosive play maker that went to UMASS

TheEnigma
01-28-2013, 10:59 AM
I wonder if the Pats would go hard at Cruz. Welker is a FA so they have some money available at that spot anyway. They would get a younger more explosive play maker that went to UMASS

Wouldn't surprise me but I could see another team overspending even more just to secure a solid #1 type of receiver. I'm not sure how much Giants fans realize how fortunate we've been at the WR spot the last few years compared to the rest of the NFL.