PDA

View Full Version : With The 19th Pick in the 2013 NFL Draft

GoDeep80
01-21-2013, 01:37 PM
The New York Giants select

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24FvP-tyyTs
This guy is everything Reese looks for in DEs but in a LB! after watching this video there was no doubt in my mind who I wanted anymore.

Redeyejedi
01-21-2013, 01:41 PM
Id rather have a DE or CB but I wouldnt hate it. Like it better than a split time RB thats for sure

GoDeep80
01-21-2013, 01:43 PM
Id rather have a DE or CB but I wouldnt hate it. Like it better than a split time RB thats for sureMy thinking for DE is Devin Taylor in the 3rd. He's Big, a good Run defender, and he can still add more weight to his 6'8 frame and play at 275-280 and still be athletic.

Carter.525
01-21-2013, 02:04 PM
Yes.. I want Ogletree.. please

WiIdcat
01-21-2013, 02:14 PM
I'd rather trade back in the first for an extra third and fourth, then draft Minter. Could use those two extra picks as ammunition to trade up into the second. 3 players in the top 25-50 could be immediate starters on this team. It's hard to say who will be there now but these are three possible players we could all have with this trade.

Minter
Xavier Rhodes
DJ Fluker

Redeyejedi
01-21-2013, 02:48 PM
My thinking for DE is Devin Taylor in the 3rd. He's Big, a good Run defender, and he can still add more weight to his 6'8 frame and play at 275-280 and still be athletic. Im not really sure about Taylor I like a couple other 2nd tier guys better. He is rather upright and stiff and unlike Ansah who doesnt have a lot of bend he doesnt play with the same strength in his base or have active enough hands

joemorrisforprez
01-21-2013, 02:54 PM
Yes.. I want Ogletree.. please

I'm all for Ogletree, but there are some guys on the offensive line that might be too talented to pass up.

Either way, I think the Giants are sitting at a very nice spot in terms of talent.

Carter.525
01-21-2013, 03:00 PM
I'm all for Ogletree, but there are some guys on the offensive line that might be too talented to pass up.

Either way, I think the Giants are sitting at a very nice spot in terms of talent.

If Warmack is there.. yes I take him

jaxnygmen
01-21-2013, 10:37 PM
Hell trade out of the first round and maybe get another first round for the following year! this way we can move up and get Clowney from SC!!!!!

ELI_HOF_NYG
01-21-2013, 10:43 PM
Hell trade out of the first round and maybe get another first round for the following year! this way we can move up and get Clowney from SC!!!!!

not a snow balls chance in hell that happens,,,the giants dont roll that way and clowney will be the #1 pick in next years draft.

WiIdcat
01-21-2013, 11:41 PM

We're gonna have to pull off an RG3 trade for that to happen haha.... im not so sure I wouldn't do it though. He has the potential to be one of the most dominant players in the nfl right off the bat.

TCHOF
01-22-2013, 12:32 AM
The guy is a playmaker and we don't have a single one of those at the LB position.

nycsportzfan
01-22-2013, 07:47 AM
Id rather have a DE or CB but I wouldnt hate it. Like it better than a split time RB thats for surelol

nycsportzfan
01-22-2013, 07:52 AM
Im not really sure about Taylor I like a couple other 2nd tier guys better. He is rather upright and stiff and unlike Ansah who doesnt have a lot of bend he doesnt play with the same strength in his base or have active enough hands Hes got oodles of potential though.. Lets not forget, this guy is like 2nd all time in TFL at S.Carolina, and has length to bat balls down, and is fairly athletic, as u seen when he was chasing a RB down from like 15yrds away from him, or when i think Alex Carder bootlegged and he bit, but still managed to change direction and fly back the other way and get the QB for a loss or next to no gain.. Very intriguing player indeed, if u ask me.. Being at S.Carolina, its gonna be hard to not be overshadowed by Clowney and other stout defenders on that team, but he did pretty well, and put up solid seasons while there.. I think he'd be a solid fit opposite JPP.. I love having length in my DE's, ala Mike Strahan and JPP..

To be honest, Devin Taylor reminds me a very little of Michael Strahan.. I said a very little!!!lol

Hes made plays from his first snap at S.Carolina, when he forced a fumble(seems to have a knack for), he also has returned multiple INTs for TDs, and Blocked a Punt while there, he lead the team in Passes defensed in 2010, and QB hurries, and has always made a ton of plays against the run, as u can see with his solid tackle totals.. Hes been a really diverse playmaker for S.Carolina, and has showed he can impact a game in many diffrent ways..

Redeyejedi
01-22-2013, 10:57 AM
Hes got oodles of potential though.. Lets not forget, this guy is like 2nd all time in TFL at S.Carolina, and has length to bat balls down, and is fairly athletic, as u seen when he was chasing a RB down from like 15yrds away from him, or when i think Alex Carder bootlegged and he bit, but still managed to change direction and fly back the other way and get the QB for a loss or next to no gain.. Very intriguing player indeed, if u ask me.. Being at S.Carolina, its gonna be hard to not be overshadowed by Clowney and other stout defenders on that team, but he did pretty well, and put up solid seasons while there.. I think he'd be a solid fit opposite JPP.. I love having length in my DE's, ala Mike Strahan and JPP..

To be honest, Devin Taylor reminds me a very little of Michael Strahan.. I said a very little!!!lol

Hes made plays from his first snap at S.Carolina, when he forced a fumble(seems to have a knack for), he also has returned multiple INTs for TDs, and Blocked a Punt while there, he lead the team in Passes defensed in 2010, and QB hurries, and has always made a ton of plays against the run, as u can see with his solid tackle totals.. Hes been a really diverse playmaker for S.Carolina, and has showed he can impact a game in many diffrent ways..Its not really being over shadowed its how he plays.
He looks like a tweener to me. Someone who isnt Flexible or quick enough to play 4-3 DE and doesnt play with the base of a 3-4 end. It depends on the round for me.

nycsportzfan
01-22-2013, 11:04 AM
Its not really being over shadowed its how he plays.
He looks like a tweener to me. Someone who isnt Flexible or quick enough to play 4-3 DE and doesnt play with the base of a 3-4 end. It depends on the round for me. I agree hes kinda a tweener, but more on the side of 4/3, and is athletic and long enough to do many things on defense.. Also a player u might be able to slide inside on occasion ala tuck..

He looked to have much better speed then i thought in that shrine game the other day. Like i said, he chased down a RB(believe Michael?) from about 15yrds away .. He really closes the gap quickly with long strides and ability to lay out his long frame and make tackles sooner then a shorter person who would need another step or 2 to do so... Athletic enough to block punts and return picks in back to back seasons as well..

I'm telling ya Redeye, ur sleeping on Devin Taylor!!lol

Kruunch
01-22-2013, 01:57 PM
Ogletree is still a second round prospect on most every draft board I've seen.

Okafor or Ansah for me (Ansah is tearing it up in the Senior Bowl so might not be available at #19).

Redeyejedi
01-22-2013, 02:03 PM
I agree hes kinda a tweener, but more on the side of 4/3, and is athletic and long enough to do many things on defense.. Also a player u might be able to slide inside on occasion ala tuck..

He looked to have much better speed then i thought in that shrine game the other day. Like i said, he chased down a RB(believe Michael?) from about 15yrds away .. He really closes the gap quickly with long strides and ability to lay out his long frame and make tackles sooner then a shorter person who would need another step or 2 to do so... Athletic enough to block punts and return picks in back to back seasons as well..

I'm telling ya Redeye, ur sleeping on Devin Taylor!!lolIm pretty familiar with him Ive been cutting games of him for 3 years. His straight line speed isnt an issue. Im more concerned with lack of burst,flexibility and quickness. If were talking 4th or 5th round I dont have a problem with it

dannyboomboom1
01-22-2013, 02:06 PM
My thinking for DE is Devin Taylor in the 3rd. He's Big, a good Run defender, and he can still add more weight to his 6'8 frame and play at 275-280 and still be athletic.

That's not a bad choice. I think he's a potential sleeper that could fall to the 4th round. He is very big and very athletic but unless he wows scouts at the combine he will not be considered a top 15 DE and could be had later with great potential. He has played with some great defensive talent at SC too. You may be seeing him in my next mock... :)

evojutsu
01-22-2013, 02:10 PM
(1A)OT Eric Fisher if O-line is not addressed free agency
(1B DT Sheldon Richardson- Big need at DT or a similiar high ranking DT
(1C) DE Ezkiel Ansah- dont think he ll be there at 19

BlueSabbath
01-22-2013, 02:39 PM

Okafor or Ansah for me (Ansah is tearing it up in the Senior Bowl so might not be available at #19).

I can barely find one that doesn't have in in the first round.

Kruunch
01-22-2013, 02:58 PM
I can barely find one that doesn't have in in the first round.

Huh you're right ... wow he moved up fast.

We'll see what the Combine does to his ranking.

TCHOF
01-22-2013, 03:17 PM

Where do you see that Ansah is tearing it up at the Senior Bowl? Would love to see some notes on the performances there if you would bekind enough to share a link.

ELI_HOF_NYG
01-22-2013, 04:53 PM

not sure what mocks you are looking at but ogeltree is going in the first somewhere between 15 an up in ALL of the major mocks. ogeltree is not a 1st round talent but ansah is? the same ensah who had only 10 tackles combined his sophomore and junior season? the one who has one ok year playing in a weaker conference against lesser opponents? the only thing putting this kid in the 1st is the notion that all athletically freaky college DE's "could" be the next JPP?

GoDeep80
01-22-2013, 05:03 PM
Huh you're right ... wow he moved up fast.

We'll what the Combine does to his ranking.Oh I fully expect him to have a beast of a combine. 40- 4.4, Vert- 40", Bench- 23. Then the coverage drills will be a piece of cake cause he's a former Safety. Honestly now that I think about it he might be a top 10 pick when all's said and done.

Carter.525
01-22-2013, 05:20 PM
Oh I fully expect him to have a beast of a combine. 40- 4.4, Vert- 40", Bench- 23. Then the coverage drills will be a piece of cake cause he's a former Safety. Honestly now that I think about it he might be a top 10 pick when all's said and done.

yup, his stock is going to rise.. big time

myles2424
01-22-2013, 05:22 PM

One thing ive realized is to rarely pay attention to draft boards....Every year theres guys that are supposedly 2nd round picks that usually end up in the 1st, if a guy has done nothing to hurt his stock & has a decent combine I almost always assume they go in the 1st......With that being said theres always supposed 1st rounders that go in the 2nd....Kinda like when some here hoping to take Ray mualuga in the 1st or Clay Mathews/cushing in the 2nd, because thats how %90 of boards had it playing out....lol

nycsportzfan
01-22-2013, 07:28 PM
Oh I fully expect him to have a beast of a combine. 40- 4.4, Vert- 40", Bench- 23. Then the coverage drills will be a piece of cake cause he's a former Safety. Honestly now that I think about it he might be a top 10 pick when all's said and done. I'm easily most intrigued to see Alec Ogletree at the combine, becuase i feel hes going to tear it up! Its gonna be fun to watch...

nycsportzfan
01-22-2013, 07:33 PM
Im pretty familiar with him Ive been cutting games of him for 3 years. His straight line speed isnt an issue. Im more concerned with lack of burst,flexibility and quickness. If were talking 4th or 5th round I dont have a problem with it Hes not my ideal 3rd rd pick, but i woulden't be mad if we drafted em there.. I think hes gonna be a steal when said and done, but we shall see.. I like way to many players this yr!!!lol I'm sure its no coincidence that there are more under classmen then ever in this yrs draft though..lol

Talent at DE drops off significantly after the top heavy guys, and after that Shrine performance, Taylor is a guy whos gonna benefit bigtime becuase of it.. I think the Shrine game answered a few questions for Devin Taylor, and next up will be the combine, to answer a few more.. But he certainly passed his first test, with flying colors...

GOBLUE24
01-22-2013, 09:12 PM
Watching senior bowl fisher is a man child and okafor has been killing it. I want Ogeltree bad myself lb need more speed without giving up run stuffing. Doesn't seem like a Giant pick. a guy I love was Queesberry something like that. He was a beast. If I had to choose giants pick it okafor.

ELI_HOF_NYG
01-22-2013, 09:23 PM
Watching senior bowl fisher is a man child and okafor has been killing it. I want Ogeltree bad myself lb need more speed without giving up run stuffing. Doesn't seem like a Giant pick. a guy I love was Queesberry something like that. He was a beast. If I had to choose giants pick it okafor.

ogeltree is exactly the type og LB this giants defense needs,,,can cover, can tackle, can go sideline to sideline,,he's already 6'3 232 with plenty of room to grow on his long, athletic frame. I hope we snag him.

Giantslb66
01-23-2013, 12:26 AM
ogeltree is exactly the type og LB this giants defense needs,,,can cover, can tackle, can go sideline to sideline,,he's already 6'3 232 with plenty of room to grow on his long, athletic frame. I hope we snag him. I"m just hoping he's there at 19....not counting on it though

Kruunch
01-23-2013, 09:14 AM
Where do you see that Ansah is tearing it up at the Senior Bowl? Would love to see some notes on the performances there if you would bekind enough to share a link.

Day 1 (good) Impressions: http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Players-who-had-a-good-first-day-of-practice-at-the-Senior-Bowl.html

Day 1 (bad) Impressions: http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Players-who-need-to-do-better-the-second-day-at-the-Senior-Bowl.html

Day 2 (mostly bad) Impressions: http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Senior-Bowl-Players-Who-Struggled-on-Day-Two.html

Highlight Guys (Offense): http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Eight-offensive-players-to-watch-in-the-Senior-Bowl.html

Highlight Guys (Defense): http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/NFP-Previews-Six-Defensive-Players-in-the-Senior-Bowl.html

Kruunch
01-23-2013, 09:15 AM
not sure what mocks you are looking at but ogeltree is going in the first somewhere between 15 an up in ALL of the major mocks. ogeltree is not a 1st round talent but ansah is? the same ensah who had only 10 tackles combined his sophomore and junior season? the one who has one ok year playing in a weaker conference against lesser opponents? the only thing putting this kid in the 1st is the notion that all athletically freaky college DE's "could" be the next JPP?

I can guarantee you 100000% that Ansah goes before Ogletree.

Jahh
01-23-2013, 09:16 AM
I'm definitely down for getting Ogletree

TCHOF
01-23-2013, 10:32 AM
Day 1 (good) Impressions: http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Players-who-had-a-good-first-day-of-practice-at-the-Senior-Bowl.html

Day 1 (bad) Impressions: http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Players-who-need-to-do-better-the-second-day-at-the-Senior-Bowl.html

Day 2 (mostly bad) Impressions: http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Senior-Bowl-Players-Who-Struggled-on-Day-Two.html

Highlight Guys (Offense): http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Eight-offensive-players-to-watch-in-the-Senior-Bowl.html

Highlight Guys (Defense): http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/NFP-Previews-Six-Defensive-Players-in-the-Senior-Bowl.html

Awesome. Thanks.

DownWitJPP
01-23-2013, 10:35 AM
this kid would be a steal in the 2nd round IMO...my only concern is he looks to be another Will linebacker. We currently have 3 in Jacquian Williams, Boley, and Paysinger and if we re-sign Keith Rivers that makes 4. We need a run stuffing yet athletic MLB and a SLB. While Ogletree is extremely athletic I just don't think he has the size to be a MLB. I do like him though..

in his highlight clip at 4:40 did he run down a WR from behind? damn that kid can run lol

Kruunch
01-23-2013, 11:33 AM
this kid would be a steal in the 2nd round IMO...my only concern is he looks to be another Will linebacker. We currently have 3 in Jacquian Williams, Boley, and Paysinger and if we re-sign Keith Rivers that makes 4. We need a run stuffing yet athletic MLB and a SLB. While Ogletree is extremely athletic I just don't think he has the size to be a MLB. I do like him though..

in his highlight clip at 4:40 did he run down a WR from behind? damn that kid can run lol

He's 6'3" and easily add another 10 lbs.

Now whether he can be taught to shed and slide blocks is a different story.

GOBLUE24
01-23-2013, 04:08 PM
ogeltree is exactly the type og LB this giants defense needs,,,can cover, can tackle, can go sideline to sideline,,he's already 6'3 232 with plenty of room to grow on his long, athletic frame. I hope we snag him.

I agree just doesn't seem like a priority at lb plus he off field issues. I have a hard time seeing giants brass choosing him. I love em. Want a lb w speed and reacts to what he sees

Redeyejedi
01-23-2013, 04:23 PM
not sure what mocks you are looking at but ogeltree is going in the first somewhere between 15 an up in ALL of the major mocks. ogeltree is not a 1st round talent but ansah is? the same ensah who had only 10 tackles combined his sophomore and junior season? the one who has one ok year playing in a weaker conference against lesser opponents? the only thing putting this kid in the 1st is the notion that all athletically freaky college DE's "could" be the next JPP?Really has nothing to do with JPP. It has a lot to do with how big and fast he is. People do take notice when a guy who never played Football before walks onto a Div 1 Defense and can play like he does. I can see your analyzing of players doesnt go much further than a stat sheet . Never mind that BYU runs 3 man fronts and he faces far more Double teams, rarely gets to rush upfield with abandon like Okafor. We can throw style of Defense completely out the window,we can throw how quickly he was coach able, all for a piece of paper with numbers on it im sure thats what the Giants scouts do.

rainierjef
01-23-2013, 05:10 PM
Really has nothing to do with JPP. It has a lot to do with how big and fast he is. People do take notice when a guy who never played Football before walks onto a Div 1 Defense and can play like he does. I can see your analyzing of players doesnt go much further than a stat sheet . Never mind that BYU runs 3 man fronts and he faces far more Double teams, rarely gets to rush upfield with abandon like Okafor. We can throw style of Defense completely out the window,we can throw how quickly he was coach able, all for a piece of paper with numbers on it im sure thats what the Giants scouts do.
+1
JPP is proof of this.

ELI_HOF_NYG
01-23-2013, 05:41 PM
http://boards.giants.com/images/misc/quote_icon.png Originally Posted by Redeyejedi http://boards.giants.com/images/buttons/viewpost-right.png (http://boards.giants.com/showthread.php?p=669204#post669204)
Really has nothing to do with JPP. It has a lot to do with how big and fast he is. People do take notice when a guy who never played Football before walks onto a Div 1 Defense and can play like he does. I can see your analyzing of players doesnt go much further than a stat sheet . Never mind that BYU runs 3 man fronts and he faces far more Double teams, rarely gets to rush upfield with abandon like Okafor. We can throw style of Defense completely out the window,we can throw how quickly he was coach able, all for a piece of paper with numbers on it im sure thats what the Giants scouts do.

I'm not sure I follow your rant,,,I said that how can you say ansah is a 1st rounder but ogeltree isnt, ogeltree by far has the stronger reume and plays in the best division in football against NFL caliber players. you are not a professional analyst so to suggest somebody only looks at stats is laughable.,,your just a fan with an opinion like everyone else. second of all, his production, or lack of it in college, is because he had trouble with double teams and stopping the run, he gets pushed around and lacks a strong base to combat that,,,plus he admits that he lacks stamina which causes him to gas out on plays and he also takes himself out of many plays with poor technique.. so i guess the giants scouts will overlook that because you said so. third, it has everything to do with JPP as it pertains to DE...everybody is looking for the next. so every DE who is big, fast, athletic, raw and relatively inexperienced will be compared to him. JPP set the bar for these types of DE's. pretty straight forward. every JPP clone is not gonna be JPP, we were fortunate with him. next time read what is being said and try to comprehend it instead of trying to challenge somebody with your "knowledge".

Redeyejedi
01-23-2013, 06:08 PM
http://boards.giants.com/images/misc/quote_icon.png Originally Posted by Redeyejedi http://boards.giants.com/images/buttons/viewpost-right.png (http://boards.giants.com/showthread.php?p=669204#post669204)

first of all you are not an analyst so to suggest somebody only looks at stats is laughable.,,your just a fan with an opinion like everyone else. second of all, his production, or lack of it in college, is because he had trouble with double teams and stopping the run, he gets pushed around and lacks a strong base to combat that,,,plus he admits that he lacks stamina and he also takes himself out of many plays with poor technique.. so i guess the giants scouts will overlook that because you said so. third, it has everything to do with JPP as it pertains to DE...everybody is looking for the next. so every DE who is big, fast, athletic, raw and relatively inexperienced will be compared to him. JPP set the bar, pretty straight forward. every JPP clone is not gonna be JPP, we were fortunate with him. U act like JPP was the first Athletic raw pass rusher Scouts always look for players who are big , fast and strong. It has nothing to do with JPP it has everything to do with that. I completely disagree with pretty much your whole breakdown of Ansah as well even though u copied it stright from the NFL website "read it before"

ELI_HOF_NYG
01-23-2013, 06:11 PM
U act like JPP was the first Athletic raw pass rusher Scouts always look for players who are big , fast and strong. It has nothing to do with JPP it has everything to do with that. I completely disagree with pretty much your whole breakdown of Ansah as well

how many 1st rounders had the speed and measurements of JPP combined with how raw he was coming out of college? raw as in didnt play football most of there lives? I am sure you could name 4 or 5 off the top of your head...well then we agree to disagree,,doesnt mean you are right or I am wrong or vice versa. the pro scouts say these are his issues which can clearly be seen so I will go with that.all I was saying is you cant say iansah is a 1st rounder and ogeltree isnt.

nycsportzfan
01-23-2013, 09:46 PM
how many 1st rounders had the speed and measurements of JPP combined with how raw he was coming out of college? raw as in didnt play football most of there lives? I am sure you could name 4 or 5 off the top of your head...well then we agree to disagree,,doesnt mean you are right or I am wrong or vice versa. the pro scouts say these are his issues which can clearly be seen so I will go with that.all I was saying is you cant say iansah is a 1st rounder and ogeltree isnt. Ogletrees a 1st rderds, theres no doubt about that.. I have no clue what ur debating, but that is just the way it is.. No chance a team dosen't take the upside of a kid whos got a nice long frame to add weight to a allready stupendous athletic nut who makes plays all over the field and clearly made his team alot better on defense as soon as he started playing, and add in the fact hes had verstailty with his past time at Safety , and is capable of stopping a truck one on one with a head of steam on the half yrd line(Eddie Lacy), and u got urself a 1st rder..

DownWitJPP
01-24-2013, 02:00 PM
he very well could be a 1st rounder...but he is not a MLB'er at the next level IMO....he would make a beast WLB though

nycsportzfan
01-24-2013, 02:10 PM
he very well could be a 1st rounder...but he is not a MLB'er at the next level IMO....he would make a beast WLB though Why not? He is 6ft 3in 232lbs.. He'd have no problem putting on another 10lbs and maintaining his athletic abilty, and he all ready can cover, run, and jump, and makes about one big hit a game and racks up the tackles.. Theres no reason he can't stick at MLB in a tampa 2 type defense...