PDA

View Full Version : NY Giants' Free Agent Profile: OT William Beatty, Will He Stay Or Go?

RoanokeFan
01-21-2013, 03:08 PM
http://www.giants101.com/2013/01/21/new-york-giants-free-agent-profile-ot-william-beatty-will-he-stay-or-will-he-go/

Excerpt: "As the New York Giants (http://www.giants101.com/tag/new-york-giants/) head towards what looks like a busy offseason, with 19 unrestricted free agents and a handful of high-priced veterans possibly on the re-negotiation or chopping blocks, this our favorite time of the year to play armchair GM.

Giants General Manager Jerry Reese (http://www.giants101.com/tag/jerry-reese/)and his staff will have to ponder all of these questions at some point this offseason (and make decisions that actually matter!), but we're off to the races this offseason and in this series we'll be going through each one of the Giants UFA's and ask the Armchair GM what he thinks.

First up, offensive tackle Will Beatty (http://www.giants101.com/tag/will-beatty/).

A second-round pick whose road to the starting lineup was slow and marred by a few injuries, Beatty had a healthy and productive season in 2012, just in the nick of time. Just in time for free agency, he's proved himself to be a quality NFL (http://www.giants101.com/tag/nfl/) starting left tackle.

The Giants don't exactly have talent waiting in the wings in case Beatty departs for greener contracts, with aging and expensive David Diehl (http://www.giants101.com/tag/david-diehl/) and young, untested James Brewer (http://www.giants101.com/tag/james-brewer/) as the next two guys on the roster. Yikes." Read more...

RoanokeFan
01-21-2013, 03:10 PM
We need to keep three FAs: Beatty, Cruz,and Bennett. After that Boothe if possible

NYG4lifeNYK
01-21-2013, 03:20 PM
If he goes we are ****ed beyond belief.... he is the TOP prority on the team by far.

NYG4lifeNYK
01-21-2013, 03:20 PM
We need to keep three FAs: Beatty, Cruz,and Bennett. After that Boothe if possible
I agree, in that order.

Cloud57
01-21-2013, 03:21 PM
If he goes we are ****ed beyond belief.... he is the TOP prority on the team by far.I wouldn't be surprised if they let him go and kept diehl

Drez
01-21-2013, 03:22 PM
If he goes we are ****ed beyond belief.... he is the TOP prority on the team by far.Luckily, FA is prior to the draft. So, if he does go we can react accordingly come draft time.

Drez
01-21-2013, 03:22 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if they let him go and kept diehl
I truly hope you do not believe that.

Carter.525
01-21-2013, 03:23 PM

yup.. I agree

Cloud57
01-21-2013, 03:24 PM
I truly hope you do not believe that.I don't think that will happen nor do I want it to but I wouldn't be surprised though.

RoanokeFan
01-21-2013, 03:25 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if they let him go and kept diehl

Now you're just trying to incite a riot

Drez
01-21-2013, 03:27 PM
I don't think that will happen nor do I want it to but I wouldn't be surprised though.
Well, it wouldn't be surprising insofar as one player is under contract for next season and the other is not. If it happened I wouldn't think it would speak to how the FO felt about either player.

Cloud57
01-21-2013, 03:27 PM
Now you're just trying to incite a riotno I'm not, but from the looks of it Diehl may be coming back and beatty is still a FA

Drez
01-21-2013, 03:29 PM
no I'm not, but from the looks of it Diehl may be coming back and beatty is still a FAIt's entirely way too early to say that any of us have a feel of what's going to happen come the official start of the offseason.

RoanokeFan
01-21-2013, 03:29 PM
no I'm not, but from the looks of it Diehl may be coming back and beatty is still a FA

Reese will make Beatty a fair offer having nothing to do with Diehl. I don't know what it would cost in terms of CAP space to release Diehl but everyone is under the microscope.

Drez
01-21-2013, 03:45 PM
Reese will make Beatty a fair offer having nothing to do with Diehl. I don't know what it would cost in terms of CAP space to release Diehl but everyone is under the microscope.We'll incur about $3m of dead money by releasing Diehl, but we'd be free of his $4.1m base salary.

bearbryant
01-21-2013, 03:47 PM
About now, Beatty is the best O lineman we have. Unless you're a homer for baas or boothe. My hope is that the FO doesn't follow suit with previous players of us spending time, effort and money on guys that helped other teams be more successful! Beatty is one of the Smart signings for this off season. Can't say that for the rest of the " Dancing Elephants"

TheBookOfEli
01-21-2013, 03:50 PM
He has to stay but i hope they don't throw the bank at him. He really has only had 1 productive season.

ryan12
01-21-2013, 04:27 PM

agreed in that order as well

keyofgmen
01-21-2013, 04:58 PM

That's it right there.

JesseJames
01-21-2013, 05:03 PM
since there is almost nothing left of team loyalty anymore and players simply follow the big bucks I wouldn't count on us being able to resign Beatty if he is offered more by another team

NYG4lifeNYK
01-21-2013, 06:54 PM
no I'm not, but from the looks of it Diehl may be coming back and beatty is still a FA

Where are you getting this nonsense from?
\
Diehl is history unless he comes back for the vet min as a backup.

nycsportzfan
01-22-2013, 06:33 AM
We need to keep three FAs: Beatty, Cruz,and Bennett. After that Boothe if possible I'd rather keep Boothe then Bennett personally.. I don't mind bennett, but we can get a cheaper alternative to be productive, just like we did with Jake Ballard and Kevin Boss.. Thers a ton of TE prospects who'd fit nicely from the draft, and for a team that needs to save wherever they can, i think its not a bad idea to bring back Boothe and Beatty, and use a cheap ballard type with a Rook to fill in for TE, and hope u hit gold, and at least get moderate production.

Redeyejedi
01-22-2013, 07:23 AM
We'll incur about $3m of dead money by releasing Diehl, but we'd be free of his $4.1m base salary.if all they save is 1.1 million ,its not worth cutting him. U would have to replace him and a swing back up tackle will cost close to that anyway

PBTimmons
01-22-2013, 10:00 AM
if all they save is 1.1 million ,its not worth cutting him. U would have to replace him and a swing back up tackle will cost close to that anyway

I'm not sure he has his numbers right. If I remember correctly the cap hit would be 3 mil, like he said, but the net gain for the giants would be 4 million in free'd up cap (Diehl's total salary is in the 7mil range for 2013). Also keep in mind that the cap penalty doesn't affect 2013 cap space. It takes effect the following year...2014.

Cut Diehl:
~7 million in free cap space for 2013
~3 million cap penalty for 2014
=~4 million in net cap gain

I'm not proclaiming to be an expert, but I'm pretty sure I have this right.