PDA

View Full Version : The NY Giants 2000 season

Roosevelt
01-21-2013, 09:04 PM
When you think back on that season, what are your thoughts?

Do you see the season as a success since we made it to the Super Bowl? Or, since we got our butts kicked you see it as a failure.

Me, I take no pleasure in that season, despite the playoff ride and truly fantastic championship game.

AllHailEli
01-21-2013, 09:08 PM
They looked so good when they routed the Vikings. And it did not feel so good when the Ravens stifled them. Honestly, last year I wanted the Patriots and it was because of the 2000 experience against the Ravens.

Roosevelt
01-21-2013, 09:26 PM
They looked so good when they routed the Vikings. And it did not feel so good when the Ravens stifled them. Honestly, last year I wanted the Patriots and it was because of the 2000 experience against the Ravens.

Yes. I've always hated that team because of that game, their coach and RL. But now I do like RL, and I'm pulling for them over the Niners who are total scum.

;]

JJC7301
01-21-2013, 09:35 PM
It was a successful year when nobody went into '00 expecting the Giants to be in the SB. That team deserves more recognition than they get. They were the best team in a crappy NFC (back when the AFC was clearly better than the NFC).

I was surprised that it was as big a blowout as it was because I thought that our D was very good, but the Ravens were obviously the better team. Amazingly historic D for them.

I'm rooting for the Ravens this year.

nhpgiantsfan
01-21-2013, 09:36 PM
I hate the niners but I can't stand the thought of that jerk who should've been locked up walking into the sunset with a 2nd SB ring.

nycsportzfan
01-22-2013, 06:31 AM
Ya, it was a success.. We went to the SB with a QB we got for next to nothing! No one expected the Giants to go to the SB that yr.. Some teams gotta finish the job off to be consdiered a success, and some teams making it to the SB is still a big success, and the giants fall into that category for the 2000season..

wuzpapn
01-22-2013, 09:57 AM
Besides the fact that Kerry Collins probably pre-gamed with Wade Boggs on Miller 64's, it was an enjoyable season. Never had that much pride in the Giants when they routed the Vikings a whopping 41-0. I can remember even wearing Giants gear in middle school. I would always be made fun of because previous to that, the Giants were a laughing stock in the mid/late 90's. That following Monday, nobody could say a thing about the G-Men. (until two weeks later lol).

RonJon
01-22-2013, 10:28 AM
Does anyone else feel that that game may have turned out differently if not for that bogus defensive holding call on Keith Hamilton that wiped out the INT return for a TD by Armstead? That call I feel just completely took the wind out of their sails.

Ruttiger711
01-22-2013, 10:49 AM
Does anyone else feel that that game may have turned out differently if not for that bogus defensive holding call on Keith Hamilton that wiped out the INT return for a TD by Armstead? That call I feel just completely took the wind out of their sails.

oh absolutely - may not still have been a win for us, but most certainly different. Hell, even competitive.

Down-lifer
01-22-2013, 10:56 AM
Yes. I've always hated that team because of that game, their coach and RL. But now I do like RL, and I'm pulling for them over the Niners who are total scum.

;]RL killed someone. He is not scum?

EliDaMANning
01-22-2013, 12:14 PM
Kerry Collins...SMH

Roosevelt
01-22-2013, 12:58 PM
RL killed someone. He is not scum?

Did he? I did not know that was a proven fact.

I've always despised the Niners and their fans since the early 80's. I see no reason to stop now.

Roosevelt
01-22-2013, 01:00 PM
Kerry Collins...SMH

Kerry Collins was the first decent QB we had after Phil Simms.

I don't recall Eli ever having a Championing game like Kerry had either.

JJC7301
01-22-2013, 01:11 PM
oh absolutely - may not still have been a win for us, but most certainly different. Hell, even competitive.
+1. Would have been closer, but the better team won. We couldn't score against that D, and even when we had a kick returned for a TD, the Ravens did the same on the very next play.

EliDaMANning
01-22-2013, 01:13 PM
Kerry Collins was the first decent QB we had after Phil Simms.

I don't recall Eli ever having a Championing game like Kerry had either.I liked him as a QB too. Much better than what we had in between him and Simms. But he failed big time that night.

Down-lifer
01-22-2013, 04:04 PM

I've always despised the Niners and their fans since the early 80's. I see no reason to stop now.You know it to be true.

Roosevelt
01-22-2013, 04:51 PM
I liked him as a QB too. Much better than what we had in between him and Simms. But he failed big time that night.

True, but we didn't have much to smile about.

Roosevelt
01-22-2013, 04:56 PM
You know it to be true.

Of course I heard the rumors and always thought of him as a low-life until last year. Maybe it's watching all those commercials of him and the cute little girl "interviewing" him...

Delicreep
01-22-2013, 06:57 PM

Do you see the season as a success since we made it to the Super Bowl? Or, since we got our butts kicked you see it as a failure.

Me, I take no pleasure in that season, despite the playoff ride and truly fantastic championship game.

I try my best to remember the positives from every season and not dwell so much on the negative, but...it's damn hard to remember the positives when there is a monstrous thing like a SB thrashing to jump out at you.

So put me in the "no" column.

NYG 5
01-22-2013, 07:57 PM
+1. Would have been closer, but the better team won. We couldn't score against that D, and even when we had a kick returned for a TD, the Ravens did the same on the very next play.

i think, had shaun williams not blown the coverage to give the ravens an easy, early lead, or had the refs not boned armstead and brought the game back to 7-7, and collins at least played like he did the second quarter the whole game, that could have been a very different game.

you think back to the titans earlier that postseason, and they would have won had they not had a stupid blocked chip shot FG for a td. Giants were similar to that team. remember that the ravens were a great defense, but not a great team. very poor offense to complement them.

that was a good team that was weak at CB, TE and OL, but very strong on DL, WR, RB and to an extent LB

Morehead State
01-22-2013, 08:00 PM
I try my best to remember the positives from every season and not dwell so much on the negative, but...it's damn hard to remember the positives when there is a monstrous thing like a SB thrashing to jump out at you.

So put me in the "no" column.
2000 was a great season.
In order to be routed in the SB you have to win an NFC championship. Which we did in historic fashion. The reality is that we weren't physical enough for the Ravens defense. But I'm not taking anything away from our team. A team that was fun to watch.

It was a great season.

Pksoze
01-22-2013, 09:21 PM
I enjoyed the season for the most part. That NFC championship game vs the Vikings might have been all around the best game this franchise has ever played. Unfortunately the SB was pretty bad. I have seen bits and pieces of the game again...I don't think we would have won. ...even with the bad calls. Our offense was Dave Brownesque that game.

BigBlueAllDay
01-22-2013, 09:24 PM
Thunder (Ron Dayne) and Lightning (Tiki Barber) RB combo, Jim Fassel's Guarantee... etc...

chasjay
01-22-2013, 11:02 PM

I've always despised the Niners and their fans since the early 80's. I see no reason to stop now.
I have mixed feelings about Lewis. I wasn't in the car or at the scene. I do believe Lewis knows what happened and has never told it. So - I respect what he does on the field and try to confine my thoughts about him to what I see on the screen during the game.

As for 2000 - I was glad to see Kerry C recharge his career. I always admire folks who have been down and get back up (well, most folks, anyway). 12 wins and closing out the season with that winning streak made for a good season. A SB win is always the ultimate icing, but the cake underneath can be good too.

TrueBlue10
01-23-2013, 02:05 AM
The 2000 season was absolutely a successful one. The ULTIMATE success? No. A hell of a ride and a whole lot of fun? Yes! Behind the last couple SB victories, "41-0" is probably my next favorite Giants memory!

BuffyBlueII
01-23-2013, 03:15 AM

Of course we were all dissapointed in losing SuperBowl but doggone it, that was a successful season. We made it to SuperBowl and as Tom Brady says, “it really hurts to lose SuperBowl but it is better to go and lose than to not go at all."

I was really proud of our team for making it there that year although we fell short.

SweetZombieJesus
01-23-2013, 07:19 AM
Only championship seasons count. What are we, the Philadelphia Eagles? Moral victories are on a lower plane than championships.

2000 was a good season but it was utterly smashed into bits by the 35-7 Super Bowl loss. I'd like to say it would have been better if they put up a fight, but then again ask the 1990 Bills if their season was a success after a 1 point loss on a missed field goal. Is it really better to go and lose than to not go at all?

And this franchise has seen its share of championship losses. 14, to be specific.

It's a mark of being consistently good to get there so often, but simultaneously a mark of shame that they failed once there. Can anybody truly say they feel good about 14 championship losses?

Morehead State
01-23-2013, 09:36 AM
Only championship seasons count. What are we, the Philadelphia Eagles? Moral victories are on a lower plane than championships.

2000 was a good season but it was utterly smashed into bits by the 35-7 Super Bowl loss. I'd like to say it would have been better if they put up a fight, but then again ask the 1990 Bills if their season was a success after a 1 point loss on a missed field goal. Is it really better to go and lose than to not go at all?

And this franchise has seen its share of championship losses. 14, to be specific.

It's a mark of being consistently good to get there so often, but simultaneously a mark of shame that they failed once there. Can anybody truly say they feel good about 14 championship losses?

Oh come on. One of my greatest moments as a Giants fan was Joe Danelo's FG against the Cowboys in 1981. And then our beating the Eagles the next week in the playoffs. Guess what....we didn't win the SB that year.
To say that "only championship seasons count" is the view of a spoiled fan.
I've seen 4 SB wins. Are you saying that only 8% of the seasons I've seen as a fan counted?

SweetZombieJesus
01-23-2013, 10:42 AM
Oh come on. One of my greatest moments as a Giants fan was Joe Danelo's FG against the Cowboys in 1981. And then our beating the Eagles the next week in the playoffs. Guess what....we didn't win the SB that year.To say that "only championship seasons count" is the view of a spoiled fan.I've seen 4 SB wins. Are you saying that only 8% of the seasons I've seen as a fan counted?Maybe I came off too harsh. They're good and worth remembering but on a 2nd, lower tier than championships. The Moral Victory shelf.

Roosevelt
01-23-2013, 11:51 AM
Of course we were all dissapointed in losing SuperBowl but doggone it, that was a successful season. We made it to SuperBowl and as Tom Brady says, “it really hurts to lose SuperBowl but it is better to go and lose than to not go at all."

I was really proud of our team for making it there that year although we fell short.

It's the way we lost that game that makes it so forgettable. Too bad we weren't able to put up more of a fight.

Markroman
01-23-2013, 03:24 PM
Total failure since we looked totally unprepared in that game.

We beat up a very good Viking team and the Ravens should not have beaten the Titans. We were badly outplayed.

nhpgiantsfan
01-23-2013, 03:48 PM
Maybe I came off too harsh. They're good and worth remembering but on a 2nd, lower tier than championships. The Moral Victory shelf.

Obviously, it's on a second tier from actually winning it all. But the season to me is a success when my team is in it until the last possible game. How bad does this season feel that we couldnt even enjoy the post season. At least that year we had the extra month of Giants football. But, you are right not winning it was devestating, but I'd still rather be there every year than have to watch the post season from the outside.

Morehead State
01-23-2013, 04:47 PM
Total failure since we looked totally unprepared in that game.

We beat up a very good Viking team and the Ravens should not have beaten the Titans. We were badly outplayed.
We were not "ill-prepared" at all. We were simply outmanned.
The Raven defense created huge matchup problems for us. We were a very finesse oriented O line against one of the most physical defenses of all time.
It just came down to that.
We simply didn't match up well at all in that game.

TCHOF
01-23-2013, 04:51 PM
We were not "ill-prepared" at all. We were simply outmanned.
The Raven defense created huge matchup problems for us. We were a very finesse oriented O line against one of the most physical defenses of all time.
It just came down to that.
We simply didn't match up well at all in that game.

Numerous insiders who spoke about that game criticized our preparation, including Ernie Accorsi.

BigBlueAllDay
01-23-2013, 05:03 PM
Collins' 4 INTs in that game against the Ravens defense probably had something to do with it too. :confused:

Morehead State
01-23-2013, 05:08 PM
Collins' 4 INTs in that game against the Ravens defense probably had something to do with it too. :confused:
I know one of the O linemen on that team. he told me the first time Kerry Collins got hit his eyes were as big as saucers in the huddle, and they knew they were in trouble.
Now KC was a tough guy and I loved him as a Giant, but he did get rattled sometimes.

To me ..the notion that we were ill prepared is misguided. They were just better than us. No amount of preparation was going to change that. It wasn't that they were faster and more skilled. It was that they were bigger and stronger.

BurnerNYG
01-24-2013, 12:00 AM
My daughter was born that year. The Giants lost the Superbowl in embarrassing fashion but I still enjoyed my 2001. I had my jersey on in the delivery room. Anyway, I loved that season... we were 7-4 and Fassel made the guarantee. We played some great games, Sehorn had a miraculous int, we routed the Vikings and we were one of the last two teams standing. We lost in a game that didn't seem like a SB but what the heck... nobody was gonna beat the Ravens that year. I was just happy that NO knocked off St Louis and the Vikings knocked them out because the Rams would've been a problem. Come to think of it... Baltimore vs the Greatest Show on Turf would've been a great game.

Roosevelt
01-24-2013, 12:38 PM
I know one of the O linemen on that team. he told me the first time Kerry Collins got hit his eyes were as big as saucers in the huddle, and they knew they were in trouble.
Now KC was a tough guy and I loved him as a Giant, but he did get rattled sometimes.

To me ..the notion that we were ill prepared is misguided. They were just better than us. No amount of preparation was going to change that. It wasn't that they were faster and more skilled. It was that they were bigger and stronger.

I remember watching some of Tiki's early runs and thinking it wasn't going to be a good day.

BigBlue1971
01-24-2013, 01:51 PM

naw im with you i didnt consider 2000 a success at all!

maybe if we were a team on the rise one without a superbowl win that might be an accomplishment.

but getting there and losing! that sucks!

Morehead State
01-24-2013, 02:03 PM
naw im with you i didnt consider 2000 a success at all!

maybe if we were a team on the rise one without a superbowl win that might be an accomplishment.

but getting there and losing! that sucks!
Would you have rather seen us lose to Philly or Minn. in the playoffs?

I don't get it. Since the merger, we've won 5 NFC championships. That year was one of them.

TCHOF
01-24-2013, 02:21 PM

That game was definitely winnable. Dilfer was their QB for crying out loud.

Fassel **** the bed on his game plan and preparation.

Kruunch
01-24-2013, 02:23 PM

All games are winnable.

But with KC being off, we weren't going to win THAT one.

BuffyBlueII
01-24-2013, 02:33 PM

We were not ill prepared. We lost to a better team.We didn’t stand much of a chance in that game. They were a better team than we were, it happens.
I am proud of 2000 NY Giants team for getting to SuperBowl.

If I am not mistaken, I think Baltimore Ravens defense jumped off sides to start the game just to rattle KC.

Morehead State
01-24-2013, 02:33 PM

What specifically didn't he prepare for? What were the errors he made.
Since you are so emphatic about this....please be specific.

TCHOF
01-24-2013, 02:45 PM
What specifically didn't he prepare for? What were the errors he made.
Since you are so emphatic about this....please be specific.

Toomer is on record as saying that Fassel coached scared of the Ravens defense and that the game plan was the "worst he had ever been a part of".

Accorsi is on record as saying that he never felt good about the preparation for that game because it was too "light-hearted" for him. He felt that the Giants team didn't have the intensity to win the game because they were just happy to be there.

Morehead State
01-24-2013, 02:48 PM
Toomer is on record as saying that Fassel coached scared of the Ravens defense and that the game plan was the "worst he had ever been a part of".

Accorsi is on record as saying that he never felt good about the preparation for that game because it was too "light-hearted" for him. He felt that the Giants team didn't have the intensity to win the game because they were just happy to be there.
Again...what specific failings in the preparations are you talking about.

And BTW....coaching "scared" of that defense was a very smart thing.

TCHOF
01-24-2013, 03:02 PM

You should ask Accorsi or Toomer.

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9A06E3D7113CF937A15752C0A96E9C8B 63

http://www.newsday.com/sports/football/giants/super-bowl-loss-bitter-pill-for-2000-giants-1.2662593

Yes, coaching scared worked out very well for us.

Ruttiger711
01-24-2013, 03:09 PM

Toomer didnt offer any specifics in the radio interview I heard, he only mentioned that Fassel went in with a different gameplan, different from what got them there. For that reason alone he has regrets because they were never given the chance to play "their" football and match up to the Ravens with their strengths. The only specifics he went into was that the loss was on Fassel and the coaching staff.

Morehead State
01-24-2013, 03:09 PM
You should ask Accorsi or Toomer.

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9A06E3D7113CF937A15752C0A96E9C8B 63

http://www.newsday.com/sports/football/giants/super-bowl-loss-bitter-pill-for-2000-giants-1.2662593

Yes, coaching scared worked out very well for us.

Both these articles are definitely checks on your side of the ledger. And they definitely give me pause regarding my position. But I will say that no gameplan was going to be enough to win that game. That defense was way to physical for us and our finesse O line. We had three guys near the end of their careers who had no chance against those guys.

So, while you have made valid points, I would still maintain my view that we essentially had no chance to win that game (barring a crap load of huge breaks going our way)

TCHOF
01-24-2013, 03:16 PM
Both these articles are definitely checks on your side of the ledger. And they definitely give me pause regarding my position. But I will say that no gameplan was going to be enough to win that game. That defense was way to physical for us and our finesse O line. We had three guys near the end of their careers who had no chance against those guys.

So, while you have made valid points, I would still maintain my view that we essentially had no chance to win that game (barring a crap load of huge breaks going our way)

I don't know if we ever would have won the game if we had a good plan, but I heard Accorsi on the radio with Colin Cowherd and he sounded downright angry about the preparation and coaching leading up to that game. He said something like (I am paraphrasing here) even after speaking with Fassel about the game years later he still wasn't sure that Fassel had any plan at all to attack the Ravens defense.

Morehead State
01-24-2013, 04:20 PM
I don't know if we ever would have won the game if we had a good plan, but I heard Accorsi on the radio with Colin Cowherd and he sounded downright angry about the preparation and coaching leading up to that game. He said something like (I am paraphrasing here) even after speaking with Fassel about the game years later he still wasn't sure that Fassel had any plan at all to attack the Ravens defense.

Dusty Zeigler wasn't going to block Ray Lewis on his best day. And no brilliant gameplan would change that.

BigBlue1971
01-24-2013, 11:24 PM
Would you have rather seen us lose to Philly or Minn. in the playoffs?

I don't get it. Since the merger, we've won 5 NFC championships. That year was one of them.

i dont know if theres anything worse (in football) than losing a superbowl!

yea i know everyone wants to get there to have a chance but a lost........

i never hear or see Bills or Vikings fans celebrating their successes!

but you know thats my thing on "success".

Morehead State
01-25-2013, 09:56 AM
i dont know if theres anything worse (in football) than losing a superbowl!

yea i know everyone wants to get there to have a chance but a lost........

i never hear or see Bills or Vikings fans celebrating their successes!

but you know thats my thing on "success".

I just don't understand this.
Losing in the SB is the second best thing that can happen to a team. Its a better result than 30 other teams get. I'm not saying I'm happy losing a SB, but it means you won the conference championship. And for a team like the 2000 Giants who overachieved all season, its not bad at all.

I mean I can see a lot of disappointment if your team was dominant and it blew the SB to an inferior team, but that was hardly the case.

BuffyBlueII
01-25-2013, 11:51 AM
Losing in the SB is the second best thing that can happen to a team. Its a better result than 30 other teams get. I'm not saying I'm happy losing a SB, but it means you won the conference championship. And for a team like the 2000 Giants who overachieved all season, its not bad at all.

I mean I can see a lot of disappointment if your team was dominant and it blew the SB to an inferior team, but that was hardly the case.

Just getting to SuperBowl is a great accomplishment.

“Losing the Super Bowl is a horrible feeling but I would rather get here and lose than not get here at all.” - Tom Brady

SweetZombieJesus
01-25-2013, 08:17 PM
Losing in the SB is the second best thing that can happen to a team.

It's simultaneously the worst. It tears the team apart.

Ask someone like Patrick Ewing or Jim Kelley if it's the 2nd best thing that can happen to a team.

KillaRich
01-25-2013, 08:36 PM

Nice ! Glad im not the only one who remebers and cant let that bs call go....... I was only in 6th grade and I remember that