PDA

View Full Version : Why the Patriots don't win anymore

greenca190
01-22-2013, 02:07 AM
Because they aren't using the same blueprint from 2001, 2003, and 2004.

Even in this pass happy era of the NFL, we hardly see teams who run up-tempo, pass happy offenses win playoff games.

I've had this discussion with Boston fans a lot lately. They claim that all they need is a decent coverage defense. However, I feel as if their defense could be solid if their offense gave them a chance to rest.

Tom Brady's stats were good during his super bowl seasons, but only impressive in 2004.

2001: 18 TDs/12 INTs, 2,843 Yards, 64% completion
2003: 23 TDs/12 INTs, 3,620 Yards, 60% completion
2004: 28 TDs/14 INTs, 3,692 Yards, 60% completion

During these years, he threw, on average, 471 passes per season. Since 2007, (and excluding the year he missed) he has averaged 577 passes per season.

I don't understand how this approach doesn't receive HEAVY criticism from the media. I don't understand how Bill Belicheck has yet to revert to their old form. I'm not trying to sound upset, because I ****ing hate the Patriots. But it just doesn't make sense to me how a team can have so much success for so long, then change, and not have that same success. Certainly, this team makes the playoffs every year. They have also played in the worst division in football over the last decade. But on an annual basis, we see these sort of offenses bounced from the playoffs. How can't they notice this?

bansaw
01-22-2013, 04:23 PM
no more video tapes

must be nice having Bills, Dolphins and Jets for the last decade 6 times a year

gmen0820
01-22-2013, 04:29 PM
Because they aren't using the same blueprint from 2001, 2003, and 2004.

Even in this pass happy era of the NFL, we hardly see teams who run up-tempo, pass happy offenses win playoff games.

I've had this discussion with Boston fans a lot lately. They claim that all they need is a decent coverage defense. However, I feel as if their defense could be solid if their offense gave them a chance to rest.

Tom Brady's stats were good during his super bowl seasons, but only impressive in 2004.

2001: 18 TDs/12 INTs, 2,843 Yards, 64% completion
2003: 23 TDs/12 INTs, 3,620 Yards, 60% completion
2004: 28 TDs/14 INTs, 3,692 Yards, 60% completion

During these years, he threw, on average, 471 passes per season. Since 2007, (and excluding the year he missed) he has averaged 577 passes per season.

I don't understand how this approach doesn't receive HEAVY criticism from the media. I don't understand how Bill Belicheck has yet to revert to their old form. I'm not trying to sound upset, because I ****ing hate the Patriots. But it just doesn't make sense to me how a team can have so much success for so long, then change, and not have that same success. Certainly, this team makes the playoffs every year. They have also played in the worst division in football over the last decade. But on an annual basis, we see these sort of offenses bounced from the playoffs. How can't they notice this?Notice what? They've had excellent success throwing the ball, including two SB berths.

This year, Ridley had an excellent season for them running the ball. They ran the ball with a great amount of success, and that's all that matters in this league. Running for volume is pointless, running with efficiency is what's key.

The only thing that has hindered the Patriots is poor execution at critical points in games. Welker's drops, Ridley's fumbles, Gronk's injuries, etc. certainly don't help either.

Rudyy
01-22-2013, 04:56 PM
no more video tapes

must be nice having Bills, Dolphins and Jets for the last decade 6 times a yearI was watching Espn (I suck, I know) and one guy brought up a very good point.

He said while the Patriots are the best in the league, they aren't really battle tested. Sure it's easy blowing out the Bills and the Jets and what not.
The Patriots don't have to worry about a running RGIII or scrambling Tony Romo or even Michael Vick for that matter.

I've said before on here that it doesn't matter if they play in a weak division..but I'm starting to rethink my stance.

Rudyy
01-22-2013, 04:56 PM
Notice what? They've had excellent success throwing the ball, including two SB berths.

This year, Ridley had an excellent season for them running the ball. They ran the ball with a great amount of success, and that's all that matters in this league. Running for volume is pointless, running with efficiency is what's key.

The only thing that has hindered the Patriots is poor execution at critical points in games. Welker's drops, Ridley's fumbles, Gronk's injuries, etc. certainly don't help either.Execution was definitely the main reason the Patriots suffered. Of course you have to give credit to the Ravens.

gmen0820
01-22-2013, 05:01 PM
Execution was definitely the main reason the Patriots suffered. Of course you have to give credit to the Ravens.Yeah they played stout, and capitalized on Patriot errors. They were also very opportunistic.