PDA

View Full Version : How to blow up a running play.

joemorrisforprez
01-22-2013, 03:09 AM
Everyone talks (rightly so) about how LT was a feared pass rusher....but check out how Taylor used the other team's blockers to destroy a running play.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sKo4JepOToo

RoanokeFan
01-22-2013, 05:28 AM
There's a reason he's credited with changing how the game is played

Captain Chaos
01-22-2013, 05:49 AM
Awesome Video, gets the juices flowing doesn't it!

Redeyejedi
01-22-2013, 07:06 AM
There's a reason he's credited with changing how the game is playedI really dont expect Michael Boley to be the greatest OLB of all time

Redeyejedi
01-22-2013, 07:07 AM
There's a reason he's credited with changing how the game is playedI really dont expect Michael Boley to be the greatest OLB of all time.My might to pull back those expectations some they may never have a player that great again

domfin
01-22-2013, 08:18 AM
I really dont expect Michael Boley to be the greatest OLB of all time.My might to pull back those expectations some they may never have a player that great again

LT was amazing and they say he was only a pass rusher. I still believe he was the greatest defensive player ever.

Carter.525
01-22-2013, 08:22 AM
g.o.a.t.

TuckandRolle
01-22-2013, 09:34 AM
There's a reason he's credited with changing how the game is played
Couldn't have said it better myself.

slipknottin
01-22-2013, 10:00 AM
The "changed the game" thing is sort of not true. He did, but not really because he was a great player. It was because he didn't do what he should have done.

A lot of the plays he made early in his career he just rushed up field instead of dropping back into coverage

Sort of similar, I suppose, to Ed reed and Polamalu deserting their zone to try to make a play.

Now I'm not trying to take away how great he was, because he was. But teams had just never had an outside linebacker blitzing all the time like that. Now a days teams just handle those guys with the OT. But then the OT was dedicated to he DE. And LT got matchups against backs and TEs. Or often nobody at all.

joemorrisforprez
01-22-2013, 10:28 AM
Taylor had amazing physical gifts.....but he also had something that is just lacking from the LBs we have.....an intense desire to be the guy to make the play. In the highlights, there are so many plays where the action is nowhere near him.....early on the tape, he misses a tackle, and then springs back up to make the play.

That seemed to be totally missing from this defense, with the possible exception of JPP, and with honorable mention to Blackburn, Rolle, and Stevie Brown. Prince seems to show some of it too.

I fault Fewell somewhat for this, and it goes back to my intense dislike for "react" defenses. I thank God that Taylor had Belichick, and not Fewell, as his DC....the guy might not be in the Hall otherwise.

In short, a mindset was missing.....the sort of mindset that made Lawrence Taylor so much more than all the wannabe "next Lawrence Taylors"......it's the mindset that made separated Pete Rose from his peers. It's what allowed an otherwise average athlete like Billy Martin to become a Yankee legend.

So yeah, I get the "there will never be another LT" explanation. But for ****'s sakes, this is the NY Giants, and I expect our defense to play with some passion.....that could have helped make the difference this season.

I'd love to see what Taylor would do against the read-option fad that is sweeping the NFL right now.....he turn the play into a cartoon.

primetime
01-22-2013, 10:31 AM
The "changed the game" thing is sort of not true. He did, but not really because he was a great player. It was because he didn't do what he should have done.

A lot of the plays he made early in his career he just rushed up field instead of dropping back into coverage

Sort of similar, I suppose, to Ed reed and Polamalu deserting their zone to try to make a play.

Now I'm not trying to take away how great he was, because he was. But teams had just never had an outside linebacker blitzing all the time like that. Now a days teams just handle those guys with the OT. But then the OT was dedicated to he DE. And LT got matchups against backs and TEs. Or often nobody at all.
You make some good points and let me add a few (I watched LT play his entire career) His rookie season the NFL was taken by surprise, as was the Giants. Never before was there a linebacker who had that speed and strength. I can name a linebacker who was utilized in blitzing way before LT played in the NFL. His name was Ted Hendricks, the Raiders utilized Hendricks ability to pass rush and make plays at the qb. LT just rushed the qb from the linebacker position to a whole new level. Opposing teams put the running back on him and saw how that never worked, then Joe Gibbs invented the two tight end set for the reason to block LT. Majority of LT career he was being blocked by tackles, guards and always doubled or triple teamed. Another facet of the game that changed because of LT was the angle stance from the tackle, this was done because of the speed LT had off the snap of the ball.
So I believe the term "changed the game" is a fair statement in regards to LT.

joemorrisforprez
01-22-2013, 10:42 AM
You make some good points and let me add a few (I watched LT play his entire career) His rookie season the NFL was taken by surprise, as was the Giants. Never before was there a linebacker who had that speed and strength. I can name a linebacker who was utilized in blitzing way before LT played in the NFL. His name was Ted Hendricks, the Raiders utilized Hendricks ability to pass rush and make plays at the qb. LT just rushed the qb from the linebacker position to a whole new level. Opposing teams put the running back on him and saw how that never worked, then Joe Gibbs invented the two tight end set for the reason to block LT. Majority of LT career he was being blocked by tackles, guards and always doubled or triple teamed. Another facet of the game that changed because of LT was the angle stance from the tackle, this was done because of the speed LT had off the snap of the ball.
So I believe the term "changed the game" is a fair statement in regards to LT.

Yeah, Taylor certainly changed the game. The playbook changed, and the offensive tackle position was changed.

Bill Walsh, Joe Gibbs, and John Madden have all stated that LT impacted how offenses approached the game.

Among other things, LT was pretty much the inventor of the strip-sack.

dezzzR
01-22-2013, 11:08 AM
Damn he was relentless.

thomasjmarino
01-22-2013, 03:59 PM
G.O.A.T.!!!!!!!
THERE WILL NEVER BE ANOTHER!!!!!

ShakeandBake
01-22-2013, 04:28 PM
I think it was Brown, maybe Will Hill who made an LTesque tackle taking out the lead blocker(FB) and the RB in one shot. It would be nice to see that more often.

Giantslb66
01-22-2013, 06:02 PM
LT was amazing and they say he was only a pass rusher. I still believe he was the greatest defensive player ever. I think you can say he was the greatest player ever! I really believe he would have blown Jim Brown up the same way he did in the highlights.!

Rusty192
01-22-2013, 06:18 PM
We had such a studly defense then.

Imagine that defense with our offense now? 16-0 every year.

joemorrisforprez
01-22-2013, 06:53 PM
I think it was Brown, maybe Will Hill who made an LTesque tackle taking out the lead blocker(FB) and the RB in one shot. It would be nice to see that more often.

Honestly, I think that's the best way to defend the read-option....LT would feast on that patty-cake crap. That guy didn't stop to think it over.....he went out there to wreak havoc, and if he didn't make the play, chances are another guy would clean up whatever mess Taylor made in the backfield.

TheBookOfEli
01-22-2013, 08:40 PM
The nerve people have when they say Ray Lewis is the best LB of all time. HA! LT was the best DEFENDER of all time!

GTGiantsFan
01-22-2013, 08:58 PM
The best.

Cloud57
01-22-2013, 09:02 PM
wow he makes this defense look slow

brad
01-22-2013, 09:05 PM
And this is why some of us look at our defense today and get so frustrated... maybe we were spoiled by those great attacking defenses that blew offenses up rather than reading and trying to react. This is how defense is supposed to be played!

joemorrisforprez
01-22-2013, 09:19 PM
And this is why some of us look at our defense today and get so frustrated... maybe we were spoiled by those great attacking defenses that blew offenses up rather than reading and trying to react. This is how defense is supposed to be played!

+1.....the Giants defense respected the opponent, but they didn't fear anyone....today, it's like they are afraid of making mistakes, instead forcing the action.

Lawrence Taylor played like he was driving a speed boat and everyone else was in a canoe.

slipknottin
01-22-2013, 09:36 PM
wow he makes this defense look slow

He makes every defense look slow.

The only guy in the league right now who can do remotely close to what he did is Von Miller.