PDA

View Full Version : NY Giants' FA Profile: WR Domenik Hixon, Will He Stay Or Go?

RoanokeFan
01-22-2013, 02:30 PM
http://www.giants101.com/2013/01/22/new-york-giants-free-agent-profile-wr-domenik-hixon-will-he-stay-or-will-he-go/

Excerpt: "Domenik Hixon may not be the biggest name at wide receiver (http://www.giants101.com/tag/wide-receiver/) for the New York (http://www.giants101.com/tag/new-york/) Giants with Hakeem Nicks (http://www.giants101.com/tag/hakeem-nicks/) and Victor Cruz (http://www.giants101.com/tag/victor-cruz/) on the team, but the Giants are going to have to make a decision on Hixon's future with the team as the battle-tested veteran hits free agency.

Hixon's had his share of setbacks, from the Kevin Everett situation to two seasons lost to separate ACL repairs, but he's always battled back and last year proved he was still a capable player.

Hixon has been really flexible for the Giants: he's played the slot, he's lined up outside and he's always been a reliable and productive special teams player. He certainly has value to the Giants…but with Nicks and Cruz entrenched at the top of the depth chart (and getting closer to new contracts of their own), Reuben Randle (http://www.giants101.com/tag/reuben-randle/) heading coming on strong and Jerrel Jernigan (http://www.giants101.com/tag/jerrel-jernigan/)heading into his third year, we wonder if the Giants will want to pay what Hixon is worth on the open market." Read more...

Carter.525
01-22-2013, 02:51 PM
for cheap, yes.. as the #4

Cloud57
01-22-2013, 03:30 PM
stay

RoanokeFan
01-22-2013, 03:32 PM
He's not going to command a ton of money and he has versatility that would be nice to have when someone goes down.

giantsfan420
01-22-2013, 03:38 PM
well seeing as hes a fan fav, reliable in performing at the level he's shown, cheap, and humble, soft spoken but in a leadership type way...def. keep him around for a few more yrs even...

maybe he can become our Decker (the Broncos #2 WR), if it hadnt been for the injuries and tough breaks, he prob would be and then some...

JaxMan
01-22-2013, 03:59 PM
He's a gamer, he needs to be kept around, no question!

nhpgiantsfan
01-22-2013, 04:05 PM
The article uses a great work to describe Hixon, "capable". If the price is right he should be kept as the number 4 WR. However, he isn't worth getting into a bidding war with another team over.

C1010
01-22-2013, 04:08 PM
Would love to have Nicks, Cruz, Randle, and Hixon as our receiving corp next year.

RoanokeFan
01-22-2013, 04:12 PM
The article uses a great work to describe Hixon, "capable". If the price is right he should be kept as the number 4 WR. However, he isn't worth getting into a bidding war with another team over.

I think Hixon would be happy with a realistic offer from Reese. I don't see him as one who would create drama.

Drez
01-22-2013, 04:13 PM
I think Hixon would be happy with a realistic offer from Reese. I don't see him as one who would create drama.But, not only that, he hasn't done enough to really warrant a bidding war, especially when you consider his twice torn ACL. There aren't going to be a lot of teams that are going to throw a ton of money at someone with his injury history.

Drez
01-22-2013, 04:15 PM
That being said, I really do hope we're able to hang on to him. While he may not be special, he's solid and often times that's just what you need in your 3rd or 4th guy... Just someone who knows what they are doing and can go out and do it.

RoanokeFan
01-22-2013, 04:17 PM
But, not only that, he hasn't done enough to really warrant a bidding war, especially when you consider his twice torn ACL. There aren't going to be a lot of teams that are going to throw a ton of money at someone with his injury history.

Which is why I think Reese will sign him. He has value here. He has survived a season without any knee issues which is pretty remarkable IMO

Drez
01-22-2013, 04:19 PM
Which is why I think Reese will sign him. He has value here. He has survived a season without any knee issues which is pretty remarkable IMOYup. And I don't think Hixon has an unrealistic view of his value. So long as the offer is fair, I'm sure he'll be an easy re-sign.

RoanokeFan
01-22-2013, 04:20 PM
That being said, I really do hope we're able to hang on to him. While he may not be special, he's solid and often times that's just what you need in your 3rd or 4th guy... Just someone who knows what they are doing and can go out and do it.

He's the kind of guy you can plug in anywhere at WR or the return game and know he'll be where he's supposed to be and do what he's supposed to be doing.

RoanokeFan
01-22-2013, 04:22 PM
Yup. And I don't think Hixon has an unrealistic view of his value. So long as the offer is fair, I'm sure he'll be an easy re-sign.

He also knows Reese salvaged him from the scrap heap with he was having emotional issues after that ST hit that knocked return man out and they first thought he'd be paralyzed.

giantsfan420
01-22-2013, 05:06 PM
He's the kind of guy you can plug in anywhere at WR or the return game and know he'll be where he's supposed to be and do what he's supposed to be doing.and thats worth its weight in gold

myles2424
01-22-2013, 05:17 PM
Would love to have Nicks, Cruz, Randle, and Hixon as our receiving corp next year.
& let barden go....I want to draft another Wr in the later rounds,no 6'5 giant & no midget, but a guy that was productive with good hands....Would be great to pull a Garcon,Antonio Brown,denarius moore,mike williams,cecil shorts type of value out of the 4th-6th

gmen0820
01-22-2013, 05:18 PM
& let barden go....I want to draft another Wr in the later rounds,no 6'5 giant & no midget, but a guy that was productive with good hands....Would be great to pull a Garcon,Antonio Brown,denarius moore,mike williams,cecil shorts type of value out of the 4th-6thWell said, I agree.

Toadofsteel
01-22-2013, 05:22 PM
Hixon is the ultimate depth player. You can put him in on any WR position on our offense and he knows what he needs to do. Key words are "our offense". He wouldn't be able to do too much right off the bat on another team, and as such, other teams won't seek him out that much. You can't ask for anything more from a player when a starter gets hurt. I think we need to bring him back if the price is right.

gmen0820
01-22-2013, 05:24 PM
Hixon is the ultimate depth player. You can put him in on any WR position on our offense and he knows what he needs to do. Key words are "our offense". He wouldn't be able to do too much right off the bat on another team, and as such, other teams won't seek him out that much. You can't ask for anything more from a player when a starter gets hurt. I think we need to bring him back if the price is right.I think the Pats would take him in a heartbeat.

Toadofsteel
01-22-2013, 05:25 PM
I think the Pats would take him in a heartbeat.

Well, aside from that. I think Belicheck is going to be looking to snipe players from the Ravens now, anyway...

RoanokeFan
01-22-2013, 05:26 PM
Hixon is the ultimate depth player. You can put him in on any WR position on our offense and he knows what he needs to do. Key words are "our offense". He wouldn't be able to do too much right off the bat on another team, and as such, other teams won't seek him out that much. You can't ask for anything more from a player when a starter gets hurt. I think we need to bring him back if the price is right.

Let's hope it all works out.

Antwuan
01-22-2013, 08:31 PM
I have always liked Hixon, Hopefully he can stay.

ELI_HOF_NYG
01-22-2013, 08:34 PM
He's not going to command a ton of money and he has versatility that would be nice to have when someone goes down.

what if that person to go down is Hixon? but i agree, he is too valuable to just let walk.

RoanokeFan
01-22-2013, 08:37 PM
what if that person to go down is Hixon? but i agree, he is too valuable to just let walk.

Then the season is over :)

brad
01-22-2013, 09:57 PM
Hixon is one of those guys that just comes in and does whatever he is asked to do. He isn't flashy but he seems to get the job done. IMO he is a valuable commodity for the Giants that should come at a relatively low price. I hope they are able to bring him back.

Drystt
01-22-2013, 11:44 PM
He's always had those plays where I'd be saying to myself "wow". I really like the kid. He knows the system well enough to be productive and does not complain about his role on the offense. He's versatile and has the speed. I'd say cut Jernigan / Sash and maybe Barden to make room for his return, maybe a two year deal. Address the rest through draft.

bill2000
01-23-2013, 07:49 AM
Hixon is a keeper. Stayed healthy this season and made some clutch catches. Knows the system, puts himself in position to make plays, is valuable on special teams, just quietly does his job on a consistent basis. Need more like him on the field and could do with fewer overpaid prima donnas. Won't mention any names but think defense.