PDA

View Full Version : Giants Have The Tools In Place To Fix Third Down Woes, But Must Utilize Them

RoanokeFan
01-22-2013, 01:35 PM
http://www.giants101.com/2013/01/22/new-york-giants-have-tools-in-place-to-fix-3rd-down-woes-in-2013-but-must-utilize-them/

Excerpt: "One of the biggest issues facing the 2013 New York (http://www.giants101.com/tag/new-york/) Giants is 3rd down conversions. The 2012 season was abysmal from a 3rd down standpoint. Short drives contributed to a gassed defense which perpetuated a losing battle on the time of possession front.

Some of the issues can be assessed to issues on 1st and 2nd down. That said, quarterback Eli Manning (http://www.giants101.com/tag/eli-manning/)struggled mightily on 3rd down in 2012. He completed only (https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2013/01/15/third-down-conversions-quarterbacks/) 36.71% of his passes, good for 17th in the NFL (http://www.giants101.com/tag/nfl/). This was far cry from his 2011 campaign where he threw for nearly 5,000 yards and broke every 4th quarter passing record known to man.

Eli shoulders some of the blame, but it has been bothersome to me why such a seasoned veteran coming off such a great season would regress in such a fashion.

Part of the issue was a revolving door at the #3 receiver position. The Giants never settled on utilizing Domenik Hixon (http://www.giants101.com/tag/domenik-hixon/), Ramses Barden (http://www.giants101.com/tag/ramses-barden/) or Rueben Randle (http://www.giants101.com/tag/rueben-randle/).

Randle is likely to shoulder that load come next season, but this year he did not have enough a grasp on the offense to be relied on consistently.

Case in point: Against the Redskins, Randle had what proved to be a defining play in the Giants season when he misread coverage against the Redskins. The Giants had 1st and 10 at the Washington 30 yard line and Eli Manning (http://www.giants101.com/tag/eli-manning/)was looking for Randle on a back-shoulder fade when Randle continued his route down field. Manning was flagged for an intentional grounding and from 2nd and 20 the Giants were only able to move closer for a field goal that they ultimately missed in what was a one-point game.

Manning is very good at working with young receivers and getting them on the same page, so Randle is not a concern of mine moving forwards." Read more...

Rudyy
01-22-2013, 01:40 PM
I'll try to believe in Gilbride.

Down-lifer
01-22-2013, 01:47 PM
Great read, thanks! It proves how much really goes into having success in the NFL. It's not all on the offensive coordinator or the QB. The Giants were not good this season on situational downs.

RoanokeFan
01-22-2013, 01:58 PM
Great read, thanks! It proves how much really goes into having success in the NFL. It's not all on the offensive coordinator or the QB. The Giants were not good this season on situational downs.

If there were easy answers, every team would go to the Super Bowl

giantsfan420
01-22-2013, 02:12 PM
this was a post in the article I found excellent, i wouldnt be surprised if it turned out to be one of our respected posters here. anyways, i think this sums it up perfectly, well done whoever the person who wrote it is...

fanfor55years says:
January 22, 2013 at 12:51 PM
Good piece.

Opening up the field is critical. It amazes me that people still refuse to accept that the injury to Nicks combined with that to Hixon and the belated maturity of Wilson and Randle had an awful lot to do with Eli’s lousy season. Eli wasn’t great this year, but if you look at how he did early, before every defense knew they didn’t have to worry about Nicks and could focus on Cruz and Bennett, and that the Giants’ running game was not going to scare anyone this season, he was far better in clutch situations and his play had plenty to do with getting out of the gate 6-2. It was all downhill from there, albeit against better teams and better defenses.

In 2014 they start with a healthy Nicks, Cruz and Randle and no doubt that creates some huge problems for any defense. Add the judicious use of Bennett and Wilson (and Brown and Bradshaw, for that matter), and they can create enormous problems for any defense if their run game is even slightly better than mediocre. Assuming they have progress on the offensive line I can see next season being a pretty terrific offensive display. My one concern is depth. Can we get adequate depth at the receiver spots? I hope Hixon is here. Jernigan should be ready to do some damage. But you cannot have Ramses Barden-types on the roster, guys who just take up space. It’s nice to have receivers with size, but more important to have receivers that can demand real coverage and worry a defense. The idea is to force single-coverage much of the time on Nicks and Cruz (Randle will probably almost always have single coverage and should kill defenses next season as a result). Spread defenses around and have them not sure where the rotation of coverage should go. Do that and we’ll see a very good year of offense.

Rudyy
01-22-2013, 02:16 PM
this was a post in the article I found excellent, i wouldnt be surprised if it turned out to be one of our respected posters here. anyways, i think this sums it up perfectly, well done whoever the person who wrote it is...

fanfor55years says:
Good piece.

Opening up the field is critical. It amazes me that people still refuse to accept that the injury to Nicks combined with that to Hixon and the belated maturity of Wilson and Randle had an awful lot to do with Eli’s lousy season. Eli wasn’t great this year, but if you look at how he did early, before every defense knew they didn’t have to worry about Nicks and could focus on Cruz and Bennett, and that the Giants’ running game was not going to scare anyone this season, he was far better in clutch situations and his play had plenty to do with getting out of the gate 6-2. It was all downhill from there, albeit against better teams and better defenses.

In 2014 they start with a healthy Nicks, Cruz and Randle and no doubt that creates some huge problems for any defense. Add the judicious use of Bennett and Wilson (and Brown and Bradshaw, for that matter), and they can create enormous problems for any defense if their run game is even slightly better than mediocre. Assuming they have progress on the offensive line I can see next season being a pretty terrific offensive display. My one concern is depth. Can we get adequate depth at the receiver spots? I hope Hixon is here. Jernigan should be ready to do some damage. But you cannot have Ramses Barden-types on the roster, guys who just take up space. It’s nice to have receivers with size, but more important to have receivers that can demand real coverage and worry a defense. The idea is to force single-coverage much of the time on Nicks and Cruz (Randle will probably almost always have single coverage and should kill defenses next season as a result). Spread defenses around and have them not sure where the rotation of coverage should go. Do that and we’ll see a very good year of offense.I think people think that's an excuse (for whatever reason) and while Eli shares some of the blame, those things did factor into offensive woes for Eli and everyone else.

I expect a much better 2013 season.

giantsfan420
01-22-2013, 02:27 PM
I think people think that's an excuse (for whatever reason) and while Eli shares some of the blame, those things did factor into offensive woes for Eli and everyone else.

I expect a much better 2013 season.i NEVER understood why stating what u bolded equated into certain types of posters minds that we were trying to excuse eli and not blame him at all...no, those bolded words are just the reality of it and were integral in what happened this season...its like certain posters wig out when u say things like what u bolded or that the OL played a big part in it..."well in 2011 he...so why not this year, poor OL is no excuse" like WHAT? lmfao

giantsfan420
01-22-2013, 02:29 PM
"the D was bad in 2011 too, its no excuse this year that our D was pretty terrible"...or "So? In 2011, the OL was bad too. so it makes no sense to relate that to elis play this year bc the OL still improved some even tho they were pretty terrible"...like its just funny to me i dunno

thomasjmarino
01-22-2013, 03:09 PM

fanfor55years says:
Good piece.

In 2014 they start with a healthy Nicks, Cruz and Randle and no doubt that creates some huge problems for any defense. Add the judicious use of Bennett and Wilson (and Brown and Bradshaw, for that matter), and they can create enormous problems for any defense if their run game is even slightly better than mediocre. Assuming they have progress on the offensive line I can see next season being a pretty terrific offensive display. My one concern is depth. Can we get adequate depth at the receiver spots? I hope Hixon is here. Jernigan should be ready to do some damage. But you cannot have Ramses Barden-types on the roster, guys who just take up space. It’s nice to have receivers with size, but more important to have receivers that can demand real coverage and worry a defense. The idea is to force single-coverage much of the time on Nicks and Cruz (Randle will probably almost always have single coverage and should kill defenses next season as a result). Spread defenses around and have them not sure where the rotation of coverage should go. Do that and we’ll see a very good year of offense.

Sounds great.
Now all we need is a new OC.
Yep.