PDA

View Full Version : Can the Giants pull this off?

WiIdcat
01-22-2013, 05:36 PM
Can the Giants re-sign Cruz, Beatty, Bennett, and Phillips and still have room to sign a guy like Andre Smith of the Bengals? I ask this because I feel that oline is the only real weakness on offense and with Beatty and Smith anchoring the tackle positions the weakness would be eliminated. With the oline taken care of, we could focus the entire draft to the defensive side of the ball which was really bad at points last year.

slipknottin
01-22-2013, 05:42 PM
Not unless they cut multiple players.

Id love to see that happen, but dont know how feasable it is.

One thing that may work in the giants favor is how good the OT free agent class is, and how good the OT draft class is.

Should really drive down the price for them. Might be able to keep Beatty for a lot less than they would otherwise, and possibly have a shot at picking up a FA OT (a good but not great one) for reasonable price.

gmen0820
01-22-2013, 05:43 PM
Didn't Smith just get arrested? No thanks.

slipknottin
01-22-2013, 05:45 PM

Eh. Gun at an airport. Usually those are just honest mistakes. Had one in a bag, forgot to declare it.

RoanokeFan
01-22-2013, 05:46 PM

He was indeed: Could lower his asking price a bit

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000128097/article/andre-smith-of-cincinnati-bengals-arrested-at-airport

gmen0820
01-22-2013, 05:47 PM
Eh. Gun at an airport. Usually those are just honest mistakes. Had one in a bag, forgot to declare it.Gotcha.......

http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images_root/slides/photos/002/910/669/andre-smith-combine_display_image.jpeg?1358445071

Gigglemania
01-22-2013, 05:52 PM
Gotcha.......

http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images_root/slides/photos/002/910/669/andre-smith-combine_display_image.jpeg?1358445071

Do want

http://img.izismile.com/img/img2/20091027/gifko_03.gif

slipknottin
01-22-2013, 05:53 PM

Oh I know. I'm not a big fan of his. He did finally put together a decent season this year though. And I wouldn't be opposed if he came cheaply enough.

gmen0820
01-22-2013, 05:53 PM
I'm seriously dying

gmen0820
01-22-2013, 05:54 PM
Oh I know. I'm not a big fan of his. He did finally put together a decent season this year though. And I wouldn't be opposed if he came cheaply enough.I'm much higher on Vollmer...I'd take either one as long as they came relatively cheap.

ShakeandBake
01-22-2013, 05:54 PM
I'm seriously dying

That's not a real picture of him right?

gmen0820
01-22-2013, 05:57 PM
That's not a real picture of him right?Nope that was his pro day if I remember correctly. Still surprised he went top 10 after that. Took a lottttt of criticism by the experts.

ShakeandBake
01-22-2013, 06:02 PM
Nope that was his pro day if I remember correctly. Still surprised he went top 10 after that. Took a lottttt of criticism by the experts.

Someone get that man a bro
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfONNfAjyrc

TCHOF
01-22-2013, 06:02 PM
Who could forget his combine titty run???? What a mess.

I also remember him from Hard Knocks . . . he seemed to have several eating and learning disorders.

Didn't follow him this year, but I'm not a big fan.

gmen0820
01-22-2013, 06:04 PM
Who could forget his combine titty run???? What a mess.

I also remember him from Hard Knocks . . . he seemed to have several eating and learning disorders.

Didn't follow him this year, but I'm not a big fan.He had a decent year. Brandon Graham ate him alive though, in one of the matchups where I had an extensive look on him.

Anyway, between his injury proned early years, and all the other prior issues, I would not risk too much to invest in this kid.

WiIdcat
01-22-2013, 06:06 PM
He was the number 1 RT in the league this year, PFF, and is exactly what we need. A powerful run blocker who won't get abused in the pass game. Basically an Anti-Diehl.

Giantslb66
01-22-2013, 06:41 PM
He was the number 1 RT in the league this year, PFF, and is exactly what we need. A powerful run blocker who won't get abused in the pass game. Basically an Anti-Diehl. Man, that dudes body makes DD look like Mr. Olympia!!!

slipknottin
01-22-2013, 07:12 PM
I'm much higher on Vollmer...I'd take either one as long as they came relatively cheap.

Vollmer was one of the best RTs in the league. If not thee best. He won't be cheap.

gmen0820
01-22-2013, 07:15 PM
Vollmer was one of the best RTs in the league. If not thee best. He won't be cheap.Yeah, that's why I like him more lol. But like I said, I'd take either of them if they'd come relatively cheap.

giantsfan420
01-22-2013, 08:17 PM
honestly, im thinking the draft would be how I'd wanna go. Fisher out of C.Michigan looks like a beast, and he is certainly capable of playing RT. Theres quite a few solid OT in this draft, I'd honestly prefer any of the 1rst round guys to start over DD at RT. Fisher looks ready right now, which unfortunatley could push him top 10. but then theres that other LT for Texas A n M is it? Forget his name...anyway point being, I was for Andre and Vollmer, but with the cap, going thru the draft and getting a cheap RT or LT for the next 4-5 yrs may be better fiscally and on the field...

ImElectric2
01-22-2013, 08:24 PM
I'd almost be ok with doing what the Jets did that year they took Ferguson and mangold back to back. Imagine if we had 2, young quality OL to pair with Beatty and Snee? Obviously Snee wasn't great, but Im willing to give him the benefit of the doubt that he is at least above average next year. Focus then on defensive FA and sign Cruz long term. I'm cool with that. I know LB and CB and DE are then left pretty thin but maybe we pick up Bennett from Tampa for DE? I dunno LB or CB free agents, but I'm just spitballin really.

Carter.525
01-22-2013, 08:38 PM
Id prefer Phil Loadholt.. got to be cheaper

TCHOF
01-22-2013, 09:36 PM
Id prefer Phil Loadholt.. got to be cheaper

Interesting . . . .

giantsfan420
01-23-2013, 01:24 AM
I'd almost be ok with doing what the Jets did that year they took Ferguson and mangold back to back. Imagine if we had 2, young quality OL to pair with Beatty and Snee? Obviously Snee wasn't great, but Im willing to give him the benefit of the doubt that he is at least above average next year. Focus then on defensive FA and sign Cruz long term. I'm cool with that. I know LB and CB and DE are then left pretty thin but maybe we pick up Bennett from Tampa for DE? I dunno LB or CB free agents, but I'm just spitballin really.theres a lot of quality OL too. Unless a guy like the OT from C.Michigan, Fisher, were to drop to 19 which i doubt, or that other OT from Texas A n M iirc, which is possible, then I'd like to trade the 19th pick for an early 2nd round and 3rd round picks giving us two 2nd rd and two 3rd rd picks. from there, id make sure I ended up drafting 2 OL and 2 Defensive players (pass rushing DE and LB/DB lets say) and then from there whatever else we add is icing on the cake...id be ecstatic with that...with this draft class, if JR got it right, u could easily add 2 starters to this OL from rds 2

BuffyBlueII
01-23-2013, 01:35 AM
Eh. Gun at an airport. Usually those are just honest mistakes. Had one in a bag, forgot to declare it.We can probably get him for cheap if that is the case.