PDA

View Full Version : NY Giants Keep Or Dump: Chris Canty

RoanokeFan
01-23-2013, 06:40 PM
http://www.giants101.com/2013/01/23/new-york-giants-keep-or-dump-chris-canty/

Excerpt: "After leading the team to their second Super Bowl in five seasons, the New York (http://www.giants101.com/tag/new-york/) Giants defensive line crashed back down to earth in 2012. Not only did Big Blue's trio of Pro Bowl caliber defensive ends fail to wreak havoc on opposing offenses, but the middle of the defense was about as soft as they come. Although defensive tackle Chris Canty showed considerable improvement in 2011, his injury plagued 2012 campaign has many wondering if he will be on the roster next season.

For the right price, Canty is worth keeping around. He is 6'7" and 317 pounds. His size alone makes teams account for his presence in the middle of the defense. However, Canty's salary cap hit for 2013 is $8.2 million. If the Giants decide to cut him, they can recoup $6.5 million of salary cap room. Given Canty's history of back injuries and lack of production in 2012, his salary is currently above his market value. At the very least, Jerry Reese should look into restructuring Canty's contract to portray his overall value to the team.

However, it's not like the Giants have any bona fide replacements waiting in the wings either." Read more...

jomo
01-23-2013, 06:56 PM
If a guy making $8M is hurt half the time, is he actually costing us $16M? Just wondering.................:cool:

RoanokeFan
01-23-2013, 06:59 PM
If a guy making $8M is hurt half the time, is he actually costing us $16M? Just wondering.................:cool:

LOL Even though he was injured in 2012, he still played pretty well when he played.

Carter.525
01-23-2013, 07:00 PM
too much money, sorry CC.. dump

RoanokeFan
01-23-2013, 07:13 PM
too much money, sorry CC.. dump

He's under contract, how much will cutting him cost us?

myles2424
01-23-2013, 07:20 PM
Thats the big question on all of these guys...

Cloud57
01-23-2013, 07:21 PM
Dump him

RoanokeFan
01-23-2013, 07:21 PM
Thats the big question on all of these guys...

If we cut a player and still have a $5M hit under the CAP, what's the point?

myles2424
01-23-2013, 07:26 PM
Who can we part ways with & actually save $$? Canty,webster,boley,rolle,tuck,diehl?> Anyone?

joemorrisforprez
01-23-2013, 07:27 PM

According to the article, the contract is 8.2mm, and cutting him would clear 6.5mm

I like Canty, but that's a pretty heavy cap hit....would much rather see them use that to attact a top-end linebacker.

Drystt
01-23-2013, 07:34 PM
Ask to restructure, if not then bye bye.

BurnerNYG
01-23-2013, 07:34 PM
Looks like the Giants might have to eat some of these contracts and bring back a few of these underachieving players or it's gonna be cap hit hell in Jersey. I'm glad I'm not in charge.

giantsfan420
01-23-2013, 07:39 PM
at first i was gonna write "keep him" and not even think twice...but then I read the article, and we can recoup 6.5 mil to the cap by releasing him??? id release him then try to re-sign him cheap...6.5 back to the cap goes a long way with how that money can be allotted...wow, the 1 high priced guy we can actually cut and save a lot of cap room happens to be the guy i vehemently defended and supported on here...

giantsfan420
01-23-2013, 07:42 PM
He's under contract, how much will cutting him cost us?seeing as 8.2 is owed to him, and by cutting him we would get back 6.5 towards our cap, i'd assume its simple math; 8.2-6.5 equals 1.7 million?

BigBlueAllDay
01-23-2013, 07:51 PM
seeing as 8.2 is owed to him, and by cutting him we would get back 6.5 towards our cap, i'd assume its simple math; 8.2-6.5 equals 1.7 million?

Yes, Confirmed. 6.5 mil extra in cap space for 2013 and 6.75 mil extra for 2014's cap if released.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/new-york-giants/chris-canty/

Cloud57
01-23-2013, 07:52 PM
Who can we part ways with & actually save $$? Canty,webster,boley,rolle,tuck,diehl?> Anyone?I would like to know the answer to that

RoanokeFan
01-23-2013, 08:38 PM
Who can we part ways with & actually save $$? Canty,webster,boley,rolle,tuck,diehl?> Anyone?

All of the free agents

RoanokeFan
01-23-2013, 08:40 PM
According to the article, the contract is 8.2mm, and cutting him would clear 6.5mm

I like Canty, but that's a pretty heavy cap hit....would much rather see them use that to attact a top-end linebacker.

And what's the CAP hit for 2014?

BurnerNYG
01-23-2013, 08:43 PM
I don't never got the time to ever understand how the cap works and what type of hits we'll take if we release certain players. Not dumb just don't got the time. Thank goodness for this board and the people that help clarifying all this. Some of you guys need to go get laid lol.

brad
01-23-2013, 10:25 PM

According to the article, if they cut him they would recoup 6.5 of the 8.2 cap hit. Not sure that I want to see him cut, but this looks like an obvious one to clear up space... assuming they can get a viable replacement for less.

Buddy333
01-23-2013, 10:36 PM
NO MORE RESTRUCTURING! If they cut him who do they have at DT? After Joseph who? And aging Bernard? An unproven 2nd round pick from a couple of years ago? A late round pick last year coming off an ACL tear?

joemorrisforprez
01-23-2013, 10:56 PM
NO MORE RESTRUCTURING! If they cut him who do they have at DT? After Joseph who? And aging Bernard? An unproven 2nd round pick from a couple of years ago? A late round pick last year coming off an ACL tear?

This is another reason why Marvin Austin has been such a disappointment.

GiantRoc
01-23-2013, 11:17 PM
The proverbial rock and a hard place. I think he has a lot to give the Giants (if he stays healthy). But that is a big question. I have always liked him and thought he has done well for us. We can't afford to pay that much for a maybe player though. This whole team is a giant (no pun intended) question mark lately. There are young guys who we have no real idea how they will play. Then there are all the guys coming off injuries. Can they get back to where they were. The only guys we won't have questions about are our draft picks this year. They will likely never see a snap.

jomo
01-23-2013, 11:27 PM
LOL Even though he was injured in 2012, he still played pretty well when he played.Yes he did.

KidA
01-24-2013, 12:08 AM
I'm with RF on this one.

Canty is a pretty good player and the only DT I noticed making any impact plays this past year. Couple that with the reality that we just don't have anyone to take his place and it's a pretty easy decision to keep him on the team.

He is expensive but I think we'll just have to bite the bullet for now.

giantsfan420
01-24-2013, 12:56 AM
Yes, Confirmed. 6.5 mil extra in cap space for 2013 and 6.75 mil extra for 2014's cap if released.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/new-york-giants/chris-canty/the more i think about it the more i just cant see him being kept under the current contract. dont get me wrong, i have been 1 of cantys biggest supporters here. i once got suspended for a misunderstanding bc i was trying to say rather crudely the way canty helps doesnt always show up on the stat sheet...and just overall i feel hes pivotal to the DL when its on track.

but we are paying him like top DT money virtually with the contract ew gave him. if we could get out of it, recoup a lot of cap space, id be all for it. we can replace hwat canty gave us w/o having to have the quality of player canty is...

Toadofsteel
01-24-2013, 02:04 AM
How much of Diehl's contract is guaranteed?

joemorrisforprez
01-24-2013, 02:20 AM
the more i think about it the more i just cant see him being kept under the current contract. dont get me wrong, i have been 1 of cantys biggest supporters here. i once got suspended for a misunderstanding bc i was trying to say rather crudely the way canty helps doesnt always show up on the stat sheet...and just overall i feel hes pivotal to the DL when its on track.

but we are paying him like top DT money virtually with the contract ew gave him. if we could get out of it, recoup a lot of cap space, id be all for it. we can replace hwat canty gave us w/o having to have the quality of player canty is...

I agree, it's a tough call.

Maybe there's a way to work something out....I don't expect Canty to just take a pay cut, but depending on how much of the remaining amount is guaranteed, maybe there's a way to work something out that gives him more guaranteed cash in exchange for a more cap-friendly number.

But like Buddy said, there's not a lot of depth there, especially with Austin being a no-show.

They definitely will need to restock this position.....one of the reasons why the linebackers got hammered was because the interior often let the opponent's lineman to 2nd blocks on the linebackers.

bearbryant
01-24-2013, 03:04 AM
Canty is a typical way that we've overpaid for players who never performed to the level of their contract. But I look at him and I quickly know the answer why he never played to the height his lofty contract demands: he's a 3-4 DE playing DT on a 4-3 defense. He is just not stout enough in the trenches where its demanded. He is not an immovable object like a Wolfork. He's good but is paid like he's great. If JR and Co come up with a healthy solution he's gotta go, otherwise we're stuck with him.

Captain Chaos
01-24-2013, 06:45 AM
That has to be a restructure....he's solid in the middle!

SweetZombieJesus
01-24-2013, 07:41 AM
LOL Even though he was injured in 2012, he still played pretty well when he played.

More accurately, the play by his replacements when he was out was particularly poor.

Bring him back at reduced price.

EJ Blue
01-24-2013, 11:49 AM
That has to be a restructure....he's solid in the middle!The entire line was like marshmallows all year. Maybe we were watching different defenses.

BKMon
01-24-2013, 10:50 PM
KEEP HIM! We are getting a player in 2013-2014 that basically had a year off. He is a heady player with great respect inside the locker room and on the field. His philanthropic efforts though the Chris Canty Foundation helps thousands of kids in the NY metropolitan area, around the country, and internationally.

i have been a Giants fan since Y.A., Del Shofner, Sam Huff, Andy Robustelli, and Spider. Canty is a man that represents the Giants the way Wellington would have wanted.

Canty is a WINNER!!! (and a native New Yawkah!)

BigJ
01-25-2013, 03:04 AM
KEEP HIM! We are getting a player in 2013-2014 that basically had a year off. He is a heady player with great respect inside the locker room and on the field. His philanthropic efforts though the Chris Canty Foundation helps thousands of kids in the NY metropolitan area, around the country, and internationally.

i have been a Giants fan since Y.A., Del Shofner, Sam Huff, Andy Robustelli, and Spider. Canty is a man that represents the Giants the way Wellington would have wanted.

Canty is a WINNER!!! (and a native New Yawkah!)

So we should keep a mediocre defensive tackle, whos always hurt. And over pay him just because he has foundation???

BKMon
01-25-2013, 01:07 PM
He can still play and should be given the opportunity to lose his position. Off-field activities speak solely to his character and work ethic.

Diamondring
01-25-2013, 02:36 PM
One ot the signings of Reese I didn't like. Yet started to like him down the line but Reese still gave him too much money.

gumby74
01-25-2013, 02:45 PM
Overpaid? Definitely. But I think he stays mainly because who else do we have to replace him? Keep in mind, we're in win now mode.

Diamondring
01-25-2013, 02:50 PM
Overpaid? Definitely. But I think he stays mainly because who else do we have to replace him? Keep in mind, we're in win now mode.Yeah you are right about that.

AntB
01-25-2013, 06:10 PM
We can't dump him unless we get a solid impact player to take his place.

Martin
01-25-2013, 07:21 PM

Linebackers? The Giants dont need LB's according to Jerry Reese. It seems to him LB's are overrated.

You would think they would get the hint when our safety's are
make plays 20 yds down the field on 5 yd crossing routes!!!

river555
01-26-2013, 11:35 AM
Cant cut him casue then we are left with Austin starting and no depth. If we had some salary cap space then maybe we could cut him and sign another veteran for a cheaper price but given the situation we cant sign anyone. Plus, I think he played really well this year once he came back.

FlyingTruck
01-26-2013, 11:41 AM
Too big of a cap hit. Keep him. He was injured last season. He played great in 2011. Just let him play out his contract.

primetime
01-26-2013, 01:17 PM
Too bad we can't play the Cowboys 16 times a year, Canty would be an all-pro. But saying that like a few have mentioned we have no depth at the position and his cap hit will be too much releasing him.

FBomb
01-26-2013, 01:22 PM
Our d-line was man-handled all season long from one end to the other, It's hard to argue a case for keeping anyone at this point. Even JPP looked pedestrian this season.

GameTime
01-26-2013, 02:44 PM
keep him and tell him to get his big *** in gear and start ****ing leveling people......

laylow28
01-26-2013, 03:17 PM
So we should keep a mediocre defensive tackle, whos always hurt. And over pay him just because he has foundation??? He has been healthy for most of his career. Aside from missing 7 games last yr, he missed 8 in 09. Not bad for 8 years in.