PDA

View Full Version : GM Jerry Reese: Giants Will Interview Manti Teo At NFL Scouting Combine

Pages : 1 [2]

slipknottin
01-16-2013, 08:48 PM
I was never high on this guy,,but do you think it had something to do with his awful performance, assuming he is telling the truth,,or was he just exposed,,or both? lol.

Maybe?

Would you be distracted if you knew in a couple days the world was going to find out your girlfriend was make believe? I would think it would have to have some impact.

But I really dont know.

He did play worse than I expected, but was it that much worse, and was it because he was distracted?

Carter.525
01-16-2013, 09:03 PM
Te'o sounds like a future Jet.. fits right in with all the nonsense

penguinfarmer
01-16-2013, 09:39 PM
I would give my left kidney to sit in on his combine interviews.

nycsportzfan
01-16-2013, 09:52 PM
wow, is all i can say! Te'o comes from my fave team and brought em back to prominance and now this? I'm sorry, Te'o is a toolbag and this is beyond fishy!

nycsportzfan
01-16-2013, 09:54 PM
I'm telling you, these spoiled brat athletes these days are so undisciplined and looney, and it really has alot to do with how little discipline and politically correct u gotta be as parents and what not.. I mean, there becoming less fundamentally strong, coaches are crusified for being hard tough coaches nowadays and almost every good team has a scandal.. Its a freaking joke, and why i've lost some interest in sports, compared to when i was alittle younger...

BlueSanta
01-16-2013, 10:12 PM
The Media always put ND kids on a pedestal, and this time they got burned. They ran stories they didnt research. Now, they are actually running with the story that this was a "hoax." rather than eat crow.

Good teams know, they do their research:

Quinn lacked accuracy, the media had him as a possible top 10 pick then acted like GMs were morons for passing on him on draft day. They all hailed the Browns as Brilliant for picking him where they did.

The media over hyped Clausen too. They completely ignored multiple reports that he was extremely unpopular in the locker room and on generally disliked by a ton of people who once played with him going back to high school.

Now, they heaped more college defensive awards on Te'o than anyone ever. Thats right Te'o is the most decorated college defensive player of ALL TIME.
It isnt deserved. He isnt even the best defensive player in college football this year, let alone all time.

nycsportzfan
01-16-2013, 10:24 PM
The Media always put ND kids on a pedestal, and this time they got burned. They ran stories they didnt research. Now, they are actually running with the story that this was a "hoax." rather than eat crow.

Good teams know, they do their research:

Quinn lacked accuracy, the media had him as a possible top 10 pick then acted like GMs were morons for passing on him on draft day. They all hailed the Browns as Brilliant for picking him where they did.

The media over hyped Clausen too. They completely ignored multiple reports that he was extremely unpopular in the locker room and on generally disliked by a ton of people who once played with him going back to high school.

Now, they heaped more college defensive awards on Te'o than anyone ever. Thats right Te'o is the most decorated college defensive player of ALL TIME.
It isnt deserved. He isnt even the best defensive player in college football this year, let alone all time. Well, i don't think ND somehow changes perspective on players, as its how they perform on the field that gets there draft stock and what not.. Even if notre dame hyped kids, which they don't, as just about every kid they get that is hyped, is wanted by about 30other schools, it woulden't matter, becuase colleges try and hype there kids at prodays and what not, and it dosen't matter... Clausen was extremely high ranked QB coming out, and i don't think ND hyped em? He was a heck of a college player, and there was no doubt about it..

Look at all the hyped kids over the past few yrs that do nothing in the pros? Its not just claussen and Quinn.. Te'o had a ridiculous season and brought his team to the championship game behind a huge statistical season, and hes put up big statistical seasons basically since arriving, and yes ND is the Yankees or celtics of college football, so when they get back to prominance, of course a player u can give attention to on that team is gonna get it, and i believe Te'o deserved all the credit he was given for on the field play, and will be a stud pro, even if this story is dispicable and grotesque! Te'o is a heck of a player, another words.. hence, why he was at the Heisman finals...

BlueSanta
01-16-2013, 10:46 PM
Well, i don't think ND somehow changes perspective on players, as its how they perform on the field that gets there draft stock and what not.. Even if notre dame hyped kids, which they don't, as just about every kid they get that is hyped, is wanted by about 30other schools, it woulden't matter, becuase colleges try and hype there kids at prodays and what not, and it dosen't matter... Clausen was extremely high ranked QB coming out, and i don't think ND hyped em? He was a heck of a college player, and there was no doubt about it..

Look at all the hyped kids over the past few yrs that do nothing in the pros? Its not just claussen and Quinn.. Te'o had a ridiculous season and brought his team to the championship game behind a huge statistical season, and hes put up big statistical seasons basically since arriving, and yes ND is the Yankees or celtics of college football, so when they get back to prominance, of course a player u can give attention to on that team is gonna get it, and i believe Te'o deserved all the credit he was given for on the field play, and will be a stud pro, even if this story is dispicable and grotesque! Te'o is a heck of a player, another words.. hence, why he was at the Heisman finals...

Lets get 2 things clear: I am not bashing ND nor am I saying Te'o is a bad player. He does deserve to eat it on this story tho.

This is pretty bad and in no way a hoax. You telling me he didnt know it was a hoax when they ran that ESPN special on that story just a few weeks ago? He only came up with "hoax" when the story was uncovered recently. NY media would have a field day with this kid on that story, they would eat his lunch.

I do not blame ND. I blame the media. Keep in mind ND has 1 of the best media schools in the country. You simply cannot deny the level of overhype that the players there sometimes get. The media tends to latch onto 1 kid and run every possible.

You mentioned the Heisman voting which only PROVES my point. You realize he got more votes than any defense only player ever? Who votes for the heisman I ask you? That's right, the media does. Can you seriously say Te'o this year deserved more votes than Suh did a couple years ago? He had a good season, no doubt. But denying his hype level is/was too high only makes people look biased.

TCHOF
01-16-2013, 11:11 PM
Why would the MLB at Notre Dame a presumed 1st rd pick need to have a GF over the internet

The whole idea that he was duped unknowingly doesn't make any sense at all.

TCHOF
01-16-2013, 11:14 PM
The world isnt all black and white... We dont even have the complete story yet.

And Im pretty sure making up a story about how a gf died, isnt "really evil".

If you make up a story about a fake girlfriend dying to get publicity you are very, very strange and demented but not necessarily evil.

TCHOF
01-16-2013, 11:16 PM
It might hurt him a little, but lying about a gf is petty stuff really. Look at the guys with 20 kids out of college, or the ones who rob banks.

That bowl game performance was far worse for his draft stock than this story.

Of course the bigger question is... when teams interview him, and they have the psychologists there, do they find out hes an insane person, or if hes normal and just caught up in some nonsense and lies.

Sorry, but no "normal" person does that. The question is, is his abnormality enough to affect his play?

juice33s
01-16-2013, 11:17 PM
Next You'll probably hear his grandmother didn't even die of natural causes. Think about it, she was 72, died from an "extended illnes." I'm calling slow doses of cyanide poisoning. It was a very popular method from HBO's "Autopsy" with Dr. Michael Baden....Infact somebody should get him on the case

ImElectric2
01-16-2013, 11:32 PM
I dunno, I feel like Teo would be happy for us to think he was in on it. It seems to me he's bad with women, met a girl online (so he thought), made up stories about their relationship so it didn't seem like B.S., and then it all blew up in his face. Their initial "meeting" or interaction on Twitter (his response of 'nice to meet you ma'am) vs the tale he told about meeting her in person at a game kinda plays towards that. It's the classic kid making up that he has a g/f in another state but on a grander scale and involves a fake internet profile. Someone goofed on him, couldn't believe he baught it, took it to the limits and then faked the girls death to end it. That (absurd as it may be) is equally, if not more, plausible than Teo being in on it. That's why he's embarrassed. He was telling a lie about a relationship with someone he never really met. Unfortunately for.him she never really existed. And was a dude LOL. Poor guy, really. Especially now with people categorizing him as "evil" when he's more an ignorant innocent. Maybe we can grab him.in the third now....lol

juice33s
01-16-2013, 11:37 PM
I dunno, I feel like Teo would be happy for us to think he was in on it. It seems to me he's bad with women, met a girl online (so he thought), made up stories about their relationship so it didn't seem like B.S., and then it all blew up in his face. Their initial "meeting" or interaction on Twitter (his response of 'nice to meet you ma'am) vs the tale he told about meeting her in person at a game kinda plays towards that. It's the classic kid making up that he has a g/f in another state but on a grander scale and involves a fake internet profile. Someone goofed on him, couldn't believe he baught it, took it to the limits and then faked the girls death to end it. That (absurd as it may be) is equally, if not more, plausible than Teo being in on it. That's why he's embarrassed. He was telling a lie about a relationship with someone he never really met. Unfortunately for.him she never really existed. And was a dude LOL. Poor guy, really. Especially now with people categorizing him as "evil" when he's more an ignorant innocent. Maybe we can grab him.in the third now....lol
That's a great point. If he was actually in on it, you'd think he could atleast get the story straight of initial inter action...You're probably right on the money

TheEnigma
01-16-2013, 11:51 PM

It's really not out of the realm of possibility but since webcams are so easy and cheap to acquire these days to "prove" the validity of your a/s/l, now we have to ask ourselves if Te'o is THAT ignorant to not at least ask for more substantial proof than the word of some random stranger on the interwebz.

Rat_bastich
01-16-2013, 11:51 PM

This is one of the bigger problems and holes in this whole story. That doesn't even constitute a girlfriend. And, as Enigma said is he really that ignorant? This whole story stinks to high heaven and really disappoints me to think that someone that seemed so classy could be this naive or involved in something so...weird.

rainierjef
01-17-2013, 12:30 AM
It's really not out of the realm of possibility but since webcams are so easy and cheap to acquire these days to "prove" the validity of your a/s/l, now we have to ask ourselves if Te'o is THAT ignorant to not at least ask for more substantial proof than the word of some random stranger on the interwebz.

hes samoan! i rest my case

WiIdcat
01-17-2013, 01:30 AM
Am I the only one who thinks he was legitimately hoaxed? The show Catfish on MTV follows cases like this all the time. There's always an excuse of why the other person can't meet or doesn't have a webcam. Idk all the details but he seems like he's truthful.

MattyD21
01-17-2013, 02:15 AM
Am I the only one who thinks he was legitimately hoaxed? The show Catfish on MTV follows cases like this all the time. There's always an excuse of why the other person can't meet or doesn't have a webcam. Idk all the details but he seems like he's truthful.
i was going to mention the show Catfish from MTV but me and you our probably the only guys who are young enough to watch MTV

myles2424
01-17-2013, 03:09 AM
I have a hard time believing that a guy that most likely can have any girl at Notre dame, got soo emotionally attached to a girl over the internet....you can't be all there in the head to truthfully get into a situation like that

penguinfarmer
01-17-2013, 06:32 AM
Now that I think of it, there were some instances in the past where I felt this slipknottin guy was a computer robot.

Jahh
01-17-2013, 07:44 AM

With the way ND backed him and had their own investigation (supposively), I'm inclined to believe in some crazy way he got played. ND did not have to back him and will look awfully foolish if they turn out to be wrong. I could easily see someone lying about an online relationship and making it sound more real than it is and the lies continuing to snowball but idk. We will see in the coming days or maybe today. Te'o certainly isn't running from it and they came out and made a statement pretty quick. Although, they did have time since they were tipped off to get their **** together.

BlueSanta
01-17-2013, 07:53 AM

Even if we give him the benefit of the doubt and assume this is the case, that he is just a victim of a hoax. It still makes him look like a jerk because he still didnt come clean when he found out. No, he allowed ESPN to run a special throughout the season. He allowed this story to garner him attention and continued to answer questions about it. He used this "hoax" to make himself a media darling. No, he never even mentioned the "hoax" until someone busted him on it.

slipknottin
01-17-2013, 07:59 AM
Even if we give him the benefit of the doubt and assume this is the case, that he is just a victim of a hoax. It still makes him look like a jerk because he still didnt come clean when he found out. No, he allowed ESPN to run a special throughout the season. He allowed this story to garner him attention and continued to answer questions about it. He used this "hoax" to make himself a media darling. No, he never even mentioned the "hoax" until someone busted him on it.

Eh. Going to be difficult for someone who is so popular to come out and say "I got lied to and my girlfriend who I loved wasent real"

Redeyejedi
01-17-2013, 08:09 AM
Please humiliated? This isnt high school, sure people are gna crack jokes on twiiter what else is it good for but a story coming from deadspin of all things wont lead to this guy getting wedgies and swirlys in the locker room. He's a respected young player not somebody whos is known for antics.Really Prince Amukumara was a 1st rd pick he got thrown in an ice bath. These guys are big kids.

Cool Papa B.
01-17-2013, 08:13 AM

I understand your points, but I still can't agree with it. According to the deadspin article Te'o and Kekua first met on October 10,2011 on twitter. Not at the Stanford game in 2009. Between 2011 and to the time of here death in 2012, he never went to visit her? I just find that hard to believe. Whether he was awkward and shy around women, this is a friend that he supposedly had a lot of conversation with.

I think Te'o was in on this scam. He did it to get more publicity IMO. The story got out of hand for him and had a life of its own. He knew he was going to get outed pretty soon (probably why he skipped the Senior Bowl). And now he's moved to damage control. He wants everyone to believe he's this innocent "kid" that was hoaxed.

BlueSanta
01-17-2013, 08:19 AM
Eh. Going to be difficult for someone who is so popular to come out and say "I got lied to and my girlfriend who I loved wasent real"

He lied about it too. Remember, he told the media he spent time with this girl in Hawaii.

The hoax story doesnt fly.

slipknottin
01-17-2013, 08:25 AM
He lied about it too. Remember, he told the media he spent time with this girl in Hawaii.

The hoax story doesnt fly.

I get the feeling he kept adding to his end of it to make it seem legitimate. Instead of telling everyone "this is only an online and on the phone relationship, I never met her"

Which is somewhat understandable. Look at the bashing he is getting now by people who don't understand how someone could fall for someone they have never actually met.

Of course he isn't blameless, he has to be smarter about both what he was doing online and how he handled it publicly, but I don't think he was deliberately trying to scam everyone either

Redeyejedi
01-17-2013, 08:32 AM
Eh. Going to be difficult for someone who is so popular to come out and say "I got lied to and my girlfriend who I loved wasent real"Come on dude he may have been duped some but he went and ran with the whole thing,

Redeyejedi
01-17-2013, 08:34 AM
I get the feeling he kept adding to his end of it to make it seem legitimate. Instead of telling everyone "this is only an online and on the phone relationship, I never met her"

Which is somewhat understandable. Look at the bashing he is getting now by people who don't understand how someone could fall for someone they have never actually met.

Of course he isn't blameless, he has to be smarter about both what he was doing online and how he handled it publicly, but I don't think he was deliberately trying to scam everyone either
His dad was the 1 who said they went on vacation, went and looked it up

slipknottin
01-17-2013, 08:34 AM
Come on dude he may have been duped some but he went and ran with the whole thing,

I still think he actually did fall for her online. And to make it not seem so strange he made up stories about meeting her or whatever else to not make it look so strange.

Him saying he was in love with some girl he only knew online would not exactly get him a ton of positive feedback lol

Redeyejedi
01-17-2013, 08:39 AM
I still think he actually did fall for her online. And to make it not seem so strange he made up stories about meeting her or whatever else to not make it look so strange.

Him saying he was in love with some girl he only knew online would not exactly get him a ton of positive feedback lolWhy come out and talk to the media about it in the 1st place if u werent absolutely sure with proof that she was real

slipknottin
01-17-2013, 08:42 AM
Why come out and talk to the media about it in the 1st place if u werent absolutely sure with proof that she was real

He had been talking to her for years, and seemingly was completely convinced she was real. He found out she wasent around the heisman show. Could he go to the media then after them talking about him playing for her all year? He was pretty much screwed at that point.

Redeyejedi
01-17-2013, 08:45 AM
Manti better be careful with his NFL money sheesh.

alentown pa
01-17-2013, 08:50 AM
hard to think that knowing this was coming out didnt effect his play in the championship game. Thing is he isn't a sideline to sideline player an average at best in pass coverage. Would love him to fall to the third round or something. As for the fake gf thing, no different than ray Lewis talking about his imaginary friend on tv after every game.

Buddy333
01-17-2013, 09:00 AM
His stock was going way down after that Bowl game.

alentown pa
01-17-2013, 09:05 AM
Manti better be careful with his NFL money sheesh.He is in his early twenties. I'm sure football has been his whole life for some time now. Maybe this online girl was an escape. In any event this is strange.

slipknottin
01-17-2013, 09:18 AM
His stock was going way down after that Bowl game.

I think that's more in the media, which had him ridiculously over hyped.

He was always a mid to late 1st round pick.

TheEnigma
01-17-2013, 09:24 AM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/01/16/reagan-mauia-says-lennay-kekua-is-real/

In case anyone here didn't see or hear of this yet.

juice33s
01-17-2013, 09:33 AM
He had been talking to her for years, and seemingly was completely convinced she was real. He found out she wasent around the heisman show. Could he go to the media then after them talking about him playing for her all year? He was pretty much screwed at that point. he hasn't though, their first interaction was on twitter less then a year before she died whit the line "nice to meet you ma'am" This obviously doesn't sink up with the Stanford meeting he told the media

slipknottin
01-17-2013, 09:35 AM
he hasn't though, there first interaction was on twitter less then a year before she died whit the line "nice to meet you ma'am" This obviously doesn't sink up with the Stanford meeting he told the media

No. There had been stories of them talking since like 2009.

juice33s
01-17-2013, 09:39 AM
No. There had been stories of them talking since like 2009. No, those are his stories of what he told the media. Obviously he never met her at a Stanford game in 2009. Deadspin traced their first twitter convo to October 2011 where he said "nice to meet you"

Kruunch
01-17-2013, 09:40 AM
Ive seen Numerous College Football players Tweet about Manti he is going to get torn up in an NFL Locker room

That was my first thought when this story broke.

slipknottin
01-17-2013, 09:41 AM
No, those are his stories of what he told the media. Obviously he never met her at a Stanford game in 2009. Deadspin traced their first twitter convo to October 2011 where he said "nice to meet you"

That's still 2 years ago.

Still sort of all fits. He made up stories likely because he was embarrassed about the whole thing.

Kruunch
01-17-2013, 09:53 AM

Can you be knowingly duped? ;)

BlueSanta
01-17-2013, 09:55 AM
That's still 2 years ago.

Still sort of all fits. He made up stories likely because he was embarrassed about the whole thing.

no.... its barely over a year from now, and less than a year from the day she died(11 months).

Again tho, he lied multiple times and had SEVERAL opportunities to correct the situation. He said he met with her in Hawaii. He said he met with her at a football game. He said he had phone conversations with her and her mother. He didnt say anything all football season when ESPN and every other network ran their story over and over. He only came up with the "hoax" thing when the story broke. Maybe it was a hoax, who knows, but either way his behavior and lies were scummy and certainly not the behavior of a leader.

juice33s
01-17-2013, 09:59 AM
That's still 2 years ago.Still sort of all fits. He made up stories likely because he was embarrassed about the whole thing. Lol, no, wrong again. She died in sept 2012, which is less then a year from their first interaction in oct of 2011

slipknottin
01-17-2013, 09:59 AM
Well the cards FB says this is actually a real person which is even stranger. Did he meet someone at the game in 2011? No? I don't really understand that part. We clearly don't have all the details.

But assume he talked to the girl for almost a year online and on the phone. Actually did fall for her. He made up stories to make it seem more legitimate and spare him some embarrassment. That part of it makes sense.

alentown pa
01-17-2013, 10:00 AM
no.... its barely over a year from now, and less than a year from the day she died(11 months). Again tho, he lied multiple times and had SEVERAL opportunities to correct the situation. He said he met with her in Hawaii. He said he met with her at a football game. He said he had phone conversations with her and her mother. He didnt say anything all football season when ESPN and every other network ran their story over and over. He only came up with the "hoax" thing when the story broke. Maybe it was a hoax, who knows, but either way his behavior and lies were scummy and certainly not the behavior of a leader.Idk about scummy, you don't know how it all went down. So he had a fake girlfriend, ray Lewis goes on tv after every game thanking his imaginary friend he has never met. Teo is a kid who messed up, not that big of a deal imo

Kruunch
01-17-2013, 10:02 AM
I'm of the opinion that he got caught up in a little white lie that snowballed into this mess. We've all been there as kids (if not so grandiose a stage or circumstance).

It might hurt his draft stock by a few picks but as pointed out, his game against 'Bama hurt his draft stock much worse (assuming no other really weird stuff comes out). At worst, a coach and/or GM might decide to pass on him just to avoid the locker room drama (for instance, I could see the Steelers passing on this guy).

To that end, locker rooms don't change much in maturity level from Pop Warner to the Pros. He will definitely get crucified in any locker room he joins. How he responds to that (good naturedly or with a chip on his shoulder) will determine the levels it rises to. His play on the field will also determine how much grief he gets.

All in all, I think he's just a kid who got caught out in the mother of all humiliating circumstances.

TheEnigma
01-17-2013, 10:04 AM
So he spent several hours talking to her on the phone almost every night yet he never considered to Skype/Webcam? I just can't see someone being THAT ignorant. I'm more willing to buy the homosexual rumors of him being in a relationship with the guy behind "Kekua's" twitter. I mean, that dude did have a car accident a month prior to when the fake girl had one and Te'o did know him personally.

alentown pa
01-17-2013, 10:05 AM
Well the cards FB says this is actually a real person which is even stranger. Did he meet someone at the game in 2011? No? I don't really understand that part. We clearly don't have all the details. But assume he talked to the girl for almost a year online and on the phone. Actually did fall for her. He made up stories to make it seem more legitimate and spare him some embarrassment. That part of it makes sense. Some espn reports last night said that there was multiple people involved in the hoax. And that the person he met was not who he was talking to.

Rudyy
01-17-2013, 10:20 AM
Who was the girl he met at Stanford then?

BlueSanta
01-17-2013, 10:27 AM
Idk about scummy, you don't know how it all went down. So he had a fake girlfriend, ray Lewis goes on tv after every game thanking his imaginary friend he has never met. Teo is a kid who messed up, not that big of a deal imo

getting hoaxed, or possibly getting hoaxed or having a fake girlfriend isnt what makes it scummy.

What makes it scummy is riding the wave of national sympathy for this story of great inspiration all season long and continuing to lie about it throughout the season(again he is on record with some pretty big lies about this relationship with this girl). He has been willing to talk about this ALL season long to any news outlet that would listen when it would add to his inspirational story. It was only when the girl was shown to not exist that he then claimed it was an elaborate hoax and is refusing to comment.

alentown pa
01-17-2013, 10:28 AM
Who was the girl he met at Stanford then?Who knows. Who knows what is what with this. Anyway **** we should have beat the steelers blowing a ten point lead in the 4th sigh

slipknottin
01-17-2013, 10:43 AM
getting hoaxed, or possibly getting hoaxed or having a fake girlfriend isnt what makes it scummy.

What makes it scummy is riding the wave of national sympathy for this story of great inspiration all season long and continuing to lie about it throughout the season(again he is on record with some pretty big lies about this relationship with this girl). He has been willing to talk about this ALL season long to any news outlet that would listen when it would add to his inspirational story. It was only when the girl was shown to not exist that he then claimed it was an elaborate hoax and is refusing to comment.

But he thought she was real! It wasent until the Heisman award show that he learned she was fake.

And it doesn't matter really if she was. He had real pain from her dying and used that as motivation.

I see nothing wrong with it from that aspect

Him telling stories about her meeting him and all that are not an attempt to make a show of it. Just to make it seem legitimate.

nycsportzfan
01-17-2013, 10:49 AM
Eh. Going to be difficult for someone who is so popular to come out and say "I got lied to and my girlfriend who I loved wasent real" u really believe he loved some girl he knew not enough about to even realize she existed or not? I mean, come on now! Even if it was true, it should of been a realathionship concealed and not used to bring sympahty to Manti's behalf, as how hung up on a girl u never met, and obviously don't know cr-ap about, be?

TCHOF
01-17-2013, 10:50 AM
But he thought she was real! It wasent until the Heisman award show that he learned she was fake.

And it doesn't matter really if she was. He had real pain from her dying and used that as motivation.

Him telling stories about her meeting him and all that are not an attempt to make a show of it. Just to make it seem legitimate.

The problem is, wou have no idea if any of what you are saying is true.

nycsportzfan
01-17-2013, 10:53 AM

Him telling stories about her meeting him and all that are not an attempt to make a show of it. Just to make it seem legitimate. I'm sorry, i'm with santaman on this one, and it seems ur just trying to have a debate, for sake of debate.. How can u possibly be so naive to believe or listen to any of this cr-ap?

I'm telling you right now, there is zero chance this guy didn't know she was real.. How do u not have a web cam or something? It would of been better if he said a freind had passed, but using the Girlfriend thing and getting all the media attention from it, and never once mentioning he has no clue about what she looks like or anything, makes him a loser! There is no way to spin this, other then hes a toolbag liar! Anyone who believes this, is just as naive as the rest of em.. Get a clue guys, Te'o straight up lied and thought he could get away with it... No ones that stupid.. No one! Especially not a guy whos about to be a multi millionaire and can get basically any "IN THE FLESH" woman he wants..

nycsportzfan
01-17-2013, 10:57 AM
Some espn reports last night said that there was multiple people involved in the hoax. And that the person he met was not who he was talking to. He didn't have a webcam and nor did the girl? Come on? What is he such a loser, that he just had a blind chat with a girl , who obviously could of been anyone, and just fell for er??lol And didn't he go to the funeral? How can anyone be so stupid? Thers just way to many layers for this to not be all, and i mean ALL on manti... I woulden't want someone that stupid on my team, i tell u that much.. It'd be annoying knowing someone that stupid is on are team, regardless of how good he is.. Hes a idiot!

TheEnigma
01-17-2013, 11:03 AM
Wouldn't an online/distance girlfriend be awfully convenient in the possibility that Te'o is a homosexual too? This guy must of had all kinds of potential panty dropping situations thrown at him being the "Alpha Male" on campus so instead of fumbling to refuse their offers, he can just fall back on his online relationship.

Anyway, here is what we know about Ronaiah Tuiasosopo

Late Wednesday night, Twitter user Justin Megahan dug up some tweets from a few Twitter users who connected a man named Ronaiah Tuiasosopo to the Lennay Kekua fake identity.

Tuiasosopo (pictured), as his last name suggests, is part of the Tuiasosopo football family that includes former Washington quarterback Marques Tuiasosopo and former NFL player Manu Tuiasosopo. Deadspin reported in its piece that Ronaiah has been using the Lennay Kekua fake identity to dupe people since at least 2008. Deadspin says he is 22, played high school football in Lancaster, Calif., and is currently involved in his family’s church. He has interacted with Te’o over Twitter, attended the USC-Notre Dame game with his family reportedly as guests of Te’o, and he and Te’o know each other, according to Deadspin.

These two were VERY close so there is a strong possibility that both of them created this hoax to boost Teo's media presence. I suppose there is a chance he is just super gullible and innocent but it's just too much of a coincidence of how much he benefited from this during the football season.

slipknottin
01-17-2013, 11:13 AM
The problem is, wou have no idea if any of what you are saying is true.

Neither does the opposite argument. We don't have all the facts yet

alentown pa
01-17-2013, 11:16 AM
He didn't have a webcam and nor did the girl? Come on? What is he such a loser, that he just had a blind chat with a girl , who obviously could of been anyone, and just fell for er??lol And didn't he go to the funeral? How can anyone be so stupid? Thers just way to many layers for this to not be all, and i mean ALL on manti... I woulden't want someone that stupid on my team, i tell u that much.. It'd be annoying knowing someone that stupid is on are team, regardless of how good he is.. Hes a idiot!Agreed about the webcam stuff. He should have known better. That is if he was hoaxed and not just lying the whole time. Honestly I don't know what's worse being dumb enough to be hoaxed or being in on it. I think he is suited best in a 3-4 but I'd take him in third round. He is prbly a late 1st early 2nd round pick though

BlueSanta
01-17-2013, 11:20 AM
These two were VERY close so there is a strong possibility that both of them created this hoax to boost Teo's media presence. I suppose there is a chance he is just super gullible and innocent but it's just too much of a coincidence of how much he benefited from this during the football season.

I dont really know or care about the whole sexuality arguement.

As you suggest, and has been suggested by ESPN too , I think it is likely this was just a story to gain fame. Remember, he didnt reveal to anyone that this was a online only relationship until after the story came out. In fact, he was telling everyone that he was meeting with this girl during periods where they had not even met officially online.

TCHOF
01-17-2013, 11:31 AM
Neither does the opposite argument. We don't have all the facts yet

True.

If he truly got hoaxed and he a complete victim, I don't think that it will have any impact at all on his draft stock.

If he was involved and has been lying, some teams will take him off their boards, but some won't. He might drop a little, but some team will snatch him up thinking that they got aa great value because he dropped.

slipknottin
01-17-2013, 11:41 AM
He didn't have a webcam and nor did the girl? Come on? What is he such a loser, that he just had a blind chat with a girl , who obviously could of been anyone, and just fell for er??lol And didn't he go to the funeral? How can anyone be so stupid? Thers just way to many layers for this to not be all, and i mean ALL on manti... I woulden't want someone that stupid on my team, i tell u that much.. It'd be annoying knowing someone that stupid is on are team, regardless of how good he is.. Hes a idiot!

He said he talked on the phone to this girl for hours. So is that true? Who in fact was he on the phone with? Perhaps he did web cam this girl?

alentown pa
01-17-2013, 11:44 AM
The power of the *****. Gets ya everytime Poor teo

juice33s
01-17-2013, 11:54 AM
He said he talked on the phone to this girl for hours. So is that true? Who in fact was he on the phone with? Perhaps he did web cam this girl? The problem with that is the girls picture on the twitter account is a completely different girl who was coned in to giving tuiasasopo a picture. No way could teo webcam with the same girl, u think he'd notice

BlueSanta
01-17-2013, 12:17 PM
He said he talked on the phone to this girl for hours. So is that true? Who in fact was he on the phone with? Perhaps he did web cam this girl?

here is what we now know as fact :

1) he said on national TV he loved this girl.

2) He never met with her in person as he said he had done perviously. In fact, only after dec 26th when he was 1st informed she didnt exist did he acknowledge it was only an "online relationship" despite previous comments to the contrary.

3) He and the girl who's picture was tied to the account have a mutual friend or aquaintence who the girl is now saying is the 1 who took the picture. 1 degree of separation.

4) After she got in a severe car accident, he didnt go visit this girl despite "being in love" with her.

5) After she was diagnosed with Cancer, he didnt go visit her.

6) After she died, he didnt go to the Funeral or send flowers or anything.

7) He claimed on twitter to have sent her flowers at 1 point, according to everyone looking into it, there is no evidence that this transaction ever happened.

8) he claimed to have talked to her multiple times on the phone, almost every night until they fell asleep. Yet, he hasnt .bothered to have his phone records pulled so he can find out who in fact he was talking to?

9) He claims to have talked to her mother, again no phone records to support.

10) he claimed to have spent time with her in Hawaii...never happened.

11) He claimed to have met her in 2009. Never happened

12) Some of the stories his parent told now seem to conflict with reality as well. They are now refusing comment as is Te'o.

13) whoever was pulling this alleged and intricate "hoax" had multiple people involved and spent months perpetuating this hoax. Hours per day with multiple people talking to him on the phone. Yet, they had no motivation for doing it. They did not con him out of money or ask him to send gifts...etc.

With every passing hour the media is uncovering more and more.....

The blood is in the water and the media sharks are circling. This story is going to get ugly for Te'o.

shane4177
01-17-2013, 01:09 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/brandt-manti-teos-draft-stock-160146934--nfl.html

I like where he gives his analysis on the MLB position as a whole to the pros......

ImElectric2
01-17-2013, 02:02 PM
You guys are brutal. Crucifying this kid based on circumstantial evidence. I really don't wanna be 'that guy' on a message board, but my buddy had a similar thing happen through an online video game. She sent him pics, they talked on the phone, and then every time they were supposed to meet something happened. Now, imagine my buddy is Teo, or any other college player. Friends ask if he has a girl or he's talking to anyone. What's the star LB supposed to say? "I met a girl through Twitter and we talk on the phone and I'm really falling for her"? That would go over REAL well with 20 year old jocks. So he embellished. Made up a story or 2. Then it started to gain legs. And now there's 2 people caught up in this mess: Teo with his 'girlfriend' he never met and then whoever is pretending to be this girl. Both parties now need to scramble for different reasons before it gets out of control (too late, I guess). So Teo runs with the story of the meetings and such because in his mind she's real, they're making an emotional connection, they're bound to REALLY meet so it'll be ok. The 'girl' is in disbelief that its gotten so far, that Teos buying it, and now he's talking about her in the media. Well she doesn't exist, might as well kill her off. That way Teo won't contact her, won't feel like he 'blew it'...its clean now with just a little collateral damage of his emotions. Not only is that believeable its very plausible. Much more so than 2 kids plotting this and keeping it up for so long with literally no one else knowing about it. I can't see this being deliberate on Teos end at all. I mean, I COULD, but that honestly seems a lot more fantastical than the story I painted above. Name me a group of college kids you've met who could pull that off. Granted the story got blown up so they technically didn't, but still, they would of had to know the cancer angle from the start AND Teo would have to have played great because of it for the case to be made that he was in on it. That's absurd to think all those pieces could fall into place because Teo and his buddies had a plan to get media attention.

BlueSanta
01-17-2013, 02:05 PM
That's absurd to think all those pieces could fall into place because Teo and his buddies had a plan to get media attention.

Well, so far all the actual facts are pointing in that direction. Time will tell though. But Te'o has already lied on this topic multiple times starting with his explanation of how they met and continuing on from there. So if it comes down to what we know as fact vs what Te'o says....well I dont believe liars.

TCHOF
01-17-2013, 02:06 PM
You guys are brutal. Crucifying this kid based on circumstantial evidence. I really don't wanna be 'that guy' on a message board, but my buddy had a similar thing happen through an online video game. She sent him pics, they talked on the phone, and then every time they were supposed to meet something happened. Now, imagine my buddy is Teo, or any other college player. Friends ask if he has a girl or he's talking to anyone. What's the star LB supposed to say? "I met a girl through Twitter and we talk on the phone and I'm really falling for her"? That would go over REAL well with 20 year old jocks. So he embellished. Made up a story or 2. Then it started to gain legs. And now there's 2 people caught up in this mess: Teo with his 'girlfriend' he never met and then whoever is pretending to be this girl. Both parties now need to scramble for different reasons before it gets out of control (too late, I guess). So Teo runs with the story of the meetings and such because in his mind she's real, they're making an emotional connection, they're bound to REALLY meet so it'll be ok. The 'girl' is in disbelief that its gotten so far, that Teos buying it, and now he's talking about her in the media. Well she doesn't exist, might as well kill her off. That way Teo won't contact her, won't feel like he 'blew it'...its clean now with just a little collateral damage of his emotions. Not only is that believeable its very plausible. Much more so than 2 kids plotting this and keeping it up for so long with literally no one else knowing about it. I can't see this being deliberate on Teos end at all. I mean, I COULD, but that honestly seems a lot more fantastical than the story I painted above. Name me a group of college kids you've met who could pull that off. Granted the story got blown up so they technically didn't, but still, they would of had to know the cancer angle from the start AND Teo would have to have played great because of it for the case to be made that he was in on it. That's absurd to think all those pieces could fall into place because Teo and his buddies had a plan to get media attention.

However you want to characterize it, there is no doubt that it is very strange behavior.

My theory is that he is gay and wanted to have a "girlfriend" to cover it up

ImElectric2
01-17-2013, 02:23 PM
Oh yeah, very strange indeed overall. I actually feel that the gay angle could play a part IF it turns out he was involved. And I mean, he clearly lied about things....there's no question about that. He wouldn't be in this mess if he didn't lie. However, my thinking is his lies were rooted in a 'truth' that was manufactured by someone else. As I stated previously, I think its the classic 'kid lies about having a girlfriend in another state that no ones ever met before' just on a much grander scale and with social media involved. The whole story is ridiculous no matter how it breaks. It's def got me interested lol. What'd Peyton say to Jeff Saturday on the sidelines? "Better than Desperate Housewives"? Indeed...

shocknaweny
01-17-2013, 03:21 PM
I wouldn't. Alabama is basically an low end NFL caliber offense. And did you see how they abused him?

Give me Ogletree

ditto

wuzpapn
01-17-2013, 04:35 PM
Te'o seems very mentally unstable. I think that's why he was so absent (LOL FAKE GF JOKE HERE) from the BCS game. You could tell he was distraught by something and I think this whole Catfish episode is probably a key factor for it. Can't take the head games in the NFL, you won't be successful.

Especially if Kevin Garnett came from nowhere and told him his dead girlfriend tasted like honey nut cheerios.

TheAnalyst
01-17-2013, 04:35 PM
I would love if Ogletree slipped because of a drug suspension. Pot is slowly getting legalized. It really isnt a big deal anymore. I understand it is breaking the law, but still.... If Ogletree is there at 19, it is almost a must by us fans, not sure if Jerry "I hate Linebackers" Reese would think so though. I would think Te'o falls out of the 1st round now after this story broke. Making up dead girlfriends to get coverage and attention?

Te'o could be this years Vontez Burfect.

ImElectric2
01-17-2013, 04:47 PM
I would love if Ogletree slipped because of a drug suspension. Pot is slowly getting legalized. It really isnt a big deal anymore. I understand it is breaking the law, but still.... If Ogletree is there at 19, it is almost a must by us fans, not sure if Jerry "I hate Linebackers" Reese would think so though. I would think Te'o falls out of the 1st round now after this story broke. Making up dead girlfriends to get coverage and attention?Te'o could be this years Vontez Burfect.Dude, imagine if we got Ogletree in the first and then Teo in like the 5th or 6th? I'd call that a huge win for Reese.

WiIdcat
01-17-2013, 04:50 PM
Te'o could be this years Vontez Burfect.

That's the most ridiculous statement I have ever heard. Te'o is the best Linebacker in this draft and will be drafted in the low 20s at the latest.

WiIdcat
01-17-2013, 04:52 PM
Dude, imagine if we got Ogletree in the first and then Teo in like the 5th or 6th? I'd call that a huge win for Reese.

You forgot to use red font. Anyone who has ever seen the show Catfish realizes that what happened to Te'o goes on daily. At worse, I believe Te'o slowly started to realize it was fake but went along with it because of the obvious attention it would bring. But in reality I think he was just duped. Still a phenomenal linebacker.

ImElectric2
01-17-2013, 04:58 PM
I agree he was duped. I don't think he had malicious intentions even towards the end of it all.

slipknottin
01-17-2013, 05:01 PM
Oh yeah, very strange indeed overall. I actually feel that the gay angle could play a part IF it turns out he was involved. And I mean, he clearly lied about things....there's no question about that. He wouldn't be in this mess if he didn't lie. However, my thinking is his lies were rooted in a 'truth' that was manufactured by someone else. As I stated previously, I think its the classic 'kid lies about having a girlfriend in another state that no ones ever met before' just on a much grander scale and with social media involved. The whole story is ridiculous no matter how it breaks. It's def got me interested lol. What'd Peyton say to Jeff Saturday on the sidelines? "Better than Desperate Housewives"? Indeed...

Thats what I think too, but there are still some questions. Like who did he talk to on the phone, who did he tweet to that he met after the stanford game, etc etc.

Carter.525
01-17-2013, 05:04 PM
Dude, imagine if we got Ogletree in the first and then Teo in like the 5th or 6th? I'd call that a huge win for Reese.

Te'o - Ogletree - J Williams.. I like that, dont know about 5th or 6th round though

WiIdcat
01-17-2013, 05:04 PM
I agree he was duped. I don't think he had malicious intentions even towards the end of it all.

Well if you agree he was completely duped then why do you talk about getting him in the 5th or 6th?? lol

53canton
01-17-2013, 05:09 PM
Anyone think he will fall that far? Its not really that far when you think about it. I say take a chance on him. He will add energy and hunger to our D!

ImElectric2
01-17-2013, 05:11 PM
Haha, joking about the rounds but still fantasizing about both lbs. I wonder if he did fall to the 2nd if Reese would break trends and trade up

Rudyy
01-17-2013, 05:13 PM
Sucks his girlfriend won't be there when he's drafted.

Riverboat76
01-17-2013, 05:20 PM
Sucks his girlfriend won't be there when he's drafted.

LOL.

If he is involved in any way, the Giants won't touch him.

giantsfan420
01-17-2013, 05:21 PM
if he does fall i dunno how jr could pass on him if hes going by bpa...depends on the board but he was a potential top 5 pick...

Drez
01-17-2013, 05:22 PM
Sucks his girlfriend won't be there when he's drafted.She'll be there in spirit.

slipknottin
01-17-2013, 05:23 PM
You know what this story does do? Gets the giants/ND fans off Reese's back when he passes on Te'o in the first.

He very well might have anyway, but fans would have ripped him for it.

Drez
01-17-2013, 05:24 PM
if he does fall i dunno how jr could pass on him if hes going by bpa...depends on the board but he was a potential top 5 pick...
Because we don't place that high a value on LBs.

I think we're going DL or OL this year.

ImElectric2
01-17-2013, 05:26 PM
Thats what I think too, but there are still some questions. Like who did he talk to on the phone, who did he tweet to that he met after the stanford game, etc etc.Trying to piece things together as we all are.....my dad mentioned hearing something about how he did actually meet a girl or saw her at a charity event or something along those lines and was told later that it was Kekua. From there the online relationship spawned. Theres an article on ESPN now that I literally just skimmed where a teammate talks about how she was never really his girlfriend, but that Teo played up that angle which is sort of along the lines of our mutual belief. Assuming Im reading the article correctly anyway.

slipknottin
01-17-2013, 05:27 PM
He probably would have been there for them anyway. His hype is ridiculous. He is not a top 5 top 10 pick, just not. Hes a mid to late 1st, possibly an early 2nd.

slipknottin
01-17-2013, 05:27 PM
Because we don't place that high a value on LBs.

I think we're going DL or OL this year.

Disagree, they do place a high value on LBs, but in what recent draft was there a LB who was better than who they picked early?

Cloud57
01-17-2013, 05:28 PM
The Giants like to keep things quiet, they don't like controversy, so they won't draft him even if he's there.

ImElectric2
01-17-2013, 05:29 PM
^as far as who he talked to I can't say based on what we know, but my gut is saying Tuiosasopo (?) told Teo "hey, remember that cute girl you saw/met briefly? Yeah, she's into you. Hit her up online" etc etc and then it just blew UP.

Drez
01-17-2013, 05:30 PM
Disagree, they do place a high value on LBs, but in what recent draft was there a LB who was better than who they picked early?True. I guess I'm just basing that on how they've treated the position lately in FA/late round draft picks. But, either way, I think JR places value more on DE/CB (Secondary) for defense in 1st round.

Riverboat76
01-17-2013, 05:32 PM
He was a fringe top 12 pick before this happened. People were talking top 10 for him at one point, but he was exposed a bit in the national championship game. If this story is true he will drop like a rock.

slipknottin
01-17-2013, 05:35 PM
True. I guess I'm just basing that on how they've treated the position lately in FA/late round draft picks. But, either way, I think JR places value more on DE/CB (Secondary) for defense in 1st round.

Well you pretty much have to in the new NFL, though with the option making such a presence, LBs will become more valuable.

I mean if you look through the recent drafts, really the only time the giants 'passed' on a LB in the first two rounds was in 2010, when they took JPP over Weatherspoon, and Linval over Daryl Washington.

But the giants got an all-pro DE, and a very good DT. So its hard to fault them for that.

Last draft you could sort of make the argument that they could have taken a LB instead of Wilson, but there wasent a LB taken until 14 picks later, so half a round. And then 4 of them went right before the giants got to pick in the 2nd.

slipknottin
01-17-2013, 05:36 PM
He was a fringe top 12 pick before this happened. People were talking top 10 for him at one point, but he was exposed a bit in the national championship game. If this story is true he will drop like a rock.

Not really. 8 was probably his max ceiling. Now his ceiling is probably 19/20.

If he doesnt go to the bills at 8, he probably doesnt get another look until 19 with the giants, then the bears at 20.

Redeyejedi
01-17-2013, 05:36 PM
Disagree, they do place a high value on LBs, but in what recent draft was there a LB who was better than who they picked early?U have a point ,Jacquain Williams looked pretty promising his rookie year.Couple guys I like in this draft although U might have to reach some to get them

Drez
01-17-2013, 05:38 PM
Well you pretty much have to in the new NFL, though with the option making such a presence, LBs will become more valuable.

Yeah, we'll probably see LBs like JWill or tweener LB/S becoming hotter.

Redeyejedi
01-17-2013, 05:38 PM

I mean if you look through the recent drafts, really the only time the giants 'passed' on a LB in the first two rounds was in 2010, when they took JPP over Weatherspoon, and Linval over Daryl Washington.

But the giants got an all-pro DE, and a very good DT. So its hard to fault them for that.

Last draft you could sort of make the argument that they could have taken a LB instead of Wilson, but there wasent a LB taken until 14 picks later, so half a round. And then 4 of them went right before the giants got to pick in the 2nd. Think they reached that many picks with Wilson anyway

Redeyejedi
01-17-2013, 05:40 PM
Ogletree is probably the best non pass rushing LB in the class although he doesnt shed very well. He has everything U could want in terms of athletic ability

slipknottin
01-17-2013, 05:40 PM
U have a point ,Jacquain Williams looked pretty promising his rookie year.Couple guys I like in this draft although U might have to reach some to get them

I would bet there is a run on LBs early-mid 2nd round. Te'o, Minter, Ogletree, Brown, Greene, maybe Sean Porter. Some of those guys may go late 1st, but thats the range where all of them belong.

Had the giants been drafting 32 this year, I would have been fine with taking any of those guys, but at 19, I think it may be too early. And they may all be gone by their 2nd rounder

Riverboat76
01-17-2013, 05:47 PM
Not really. 8 was probably his max ceiling. Now his ceiling is probably 19/20.

If he doesnt go to the bills at 8, he probably doesnt get another look until 19 with the giants, then the bears at 20.

I think he drops lower. It's possible he gets snapped up mid to late first, but I think this story is going to get much worse for him.

jomo
01-17-2013, 05:48 PM
Disagree, they do place a high value on LBs, but in what recent draft was there a LB who was better than who they picked early?In order to answer that question, I'd have to go through 20 or more drafts slip! :confused:

slipknottin
01-17-2013, 05:49 PM
I think he drops lower. It's possible he gets snapped up mid to late first, but I think this story is going to get much worse for him.

Right, thats why I said ceiling. I always thought he was a mid-late 1st rounder, now its possible he goes early 2nd. Not like he will go undrafted or something nutty.

Riverboat76
01-17-2013, 05:52 PM
He is either extremely guilty or the stupidest person alive. Either way it's not looking good for him.

slipknottin
01-17-2013, 05:53 PM
He is either extremely guilty or the stupidest person alive. Either way it's not looking good for him.

The league is full of stupid guilty people.

At least Te'o gets to be one or the other.

Riverboat76
01-17-2013, 05:56 PM
Oh I think there was very real possibility he would go top 10 prior to all this. Of course we haven't had the combine yet and if he runs a 4.8/40 then he was never going to be drafted that high. But the guy had all the momentum in the world before the title game. It's been a bad few weeks for him and its only gonna get worse.

slipknottin
01-17-2013, 05:59 PM
Oh I think there was very real possibility he would go top 10 prior to all this. Of course we haven't had the combine yet and if he runs a 4.8/40 then he was never going to be drafted that high. But the guy had all the momentum in the world before the title game. It's been a bad few weeks for him and its only gonna get worse.

He only had momentum in the media. NFL scouts/teams never thought he was a top 10 talent.

""That crazy stuff you heard earlier about him being a top-five pick, that was all hype," said the NFC scout. "That's the TV, media, Notre Dame-driven hype. Inside linebackers, even great ones, don't go that high. Unless you're the next **** Butkus or Ray Lewis and he's not that. He's not even as good as Jerod Mayo." Most NFL people consider Te'o a late first- to second-round talent"

Riverboat76
01-17-2013, 06:03 PM
The league is full of stupid guilty people.

At least Te'o gets to be one or the other.

Normally stupid behavior from a college student comes in the form of smoking pot, or getting drunk in public or getting in a fight. This is beyond that stuff IMO. A MLB is typically the QB for the defense or at least one of the defensive leaders. If he was complicit in this scheme then he's not a guy you can trust or would want to follow, and if he was really duped then he's an idiot. Either way do you want this guy as the QB of your defense? I say no. But others will certainly disagree.

TheEnigma
01-17-2013, 06:04 PM
Assuming how gullible he can potentially be, one would imagine that a few teams would feel responsible for babysitting him so he doesn't fall into any more trouble like this. Just for his own good, I'd prefer he ends up in a smaller market area and away from a place like New York.

slipknottin
01-17-2013, 06:04 PM
Normally stupid behavior from a college student comes in the form of smoking pot, or getting drunk in public or getting in a fight. This is beyond that stuff IMO. A MLB is typically the QB for the defense or at least one of the defensive leaders. If he was complicit in this scheme then he's not a guy you can trust or would want to follow, and if he was really duped then he's an idiot. Either way do you want this guy as the QB of your defense? I say no. But others will certainly disagree.

Or having 10 kids, or robbing banks.

Yea, making up a story about a gf is a far worse crime....

Oh wait, its not a crime at all.

Riverboat76
01-17-2013, 06:07 PM
He only had momentum in the media. NFL scouts/teams never thought he was a top 10 talent.

""That crazy stuff you heard earlier about him being a top-five pick, that was all hype," said the NFC scout. "That's the TV, media, Notre Dame-driven hype. Inside linebackers, even great ones, don't go that high. Unless you're the next **** Butkus or Ray Lewis and he's not that. He's not even as good as Jerod Mayo." Most NFL people consider Te'o a late first- to second-round talent"

Kiper still had him at 8 yesterday IIRC. Not to say Kiper would be right, but I've seen other mocks with him in the top 10 as well. Obviously this is not an exact science. Ray Lewis wasn't Ray Lewis when he was drafted...25 teams passed on him.

slipknottin
01-17-2013, 06:09 PM
Kiper still had him at 8 yesterday IIRC. Not to say Kiper would be right, but I've seen other mocks with him in the top 10 as well. Obviously this is not an exact science. Ray Lewis wasn't Ray Lewis when he was drafted...25 teams passed on him.

Exactly. The media.

Actual scouts/nfl people have never thought he was a top 10 pick.

Riverboat76
01-17-2013, 06:17 PM
Or having 10 kids, or robbing banks.

Yea, making up a story about a gf is a far worse crime....

Oh wait, its not a crime at all.

So your saying because it's not a crime that it's okay? That this behavior shouldn't be considered when a team drafts him? The guy made up a girl, then killed her. Then played it up in the media to further his cause (allegedly). That's ----ed up. This is a guy you want as a main cog on your team?

College kids have sex and sometimes have children out of wedlock...but really that could happen to anybody. This is on a different level. This is something that most people wouldn't do. He has some deep-seeded issues going on.

Riverboat76
01-17-2013, 06:25 PM
Exactly. The media.

And you know this...how? Because one scout said something? Im not saying he definately was a top 10 pick, but saying something is definative based on something one scout on one team said is foolish. Maybe other scouts feel differently. Frankly I think discussing this stuff before the combine is silly anyway, but here we are. I think we can agree that this scandal is going to hurt him.

myles2424
01-17-2013, 06:30 PM
Well the cards FB says this is actually a real person which is even stranger. Did he meet someone at the game in 2011? No? I don't really understand that part. We clearly don't have all the details.

But assume he talked to the girl for almost a year online and on the phone. Actually did fall for her. He made up stories to make it seem more legitimate and spare him some embarrassment. That part of it makes sense.
I think people would POSSIBLY consider this...But the supposed picture of the girl is a totally different person, theres no way he met one person & had a picture of a different person...

It could be some insane twist that this girl couldve met different football players & gave a fake name/story to them....But the picture belonging to a totally unrelated person is what deads that theory...

myles2424
01-17-2013, 07:09 PM
Disagree, they do place a high value on LBs, but in what recent draft was there a LB who was better than who they picked early?
Mason Foster/Kj Wright wouldve definetly been BPA/need over jernigan.......Many would argue that Daryl Washington,Sean Lee are better than Linval Joseph.....Navarro Bowman instead of Chad Jones...Lavonte David, although a 2nd round pick, when he came within a few picks of our 2nd round pick,many would argue you dont pass the opportunity to trade up & get a steal...

slipknottin
01-17-2013, 07:30 PM
And you know this...how? Because one scout said something? Im not saying he definately was a top 10 pick, but saying something is definative based on something one scout on one team said is foolish. Maybe other scouts feel differently. Frankly I think discussing this stuff before the combine is silly anyway, but here we are. I think we can agree that this scandal is going to hurt him.

Because that is all any scout has said since they have been asked. You find me a single NFL scout that says Teo is a top 10 pick. Go ahead.

Kiper and ESPN are not scouts.

slipknottin
01-17-2013, 07:32 PM
So your saying because it's not a crime that it's okay?

No, Im saying its not "the worst thing ever" like many of you seem to think. As long as he sets the story straight and doesnt lie to teams at the combine interviews, it wont affect his draft stock much at all.

alentown pa
01-17-2013, 07:51 PM
So your saying because it's not a crime that it's okay? That this behavior shouldn't be considered when a team drafts him? The guy made up a girl, then killed her. Then played it up in the media to further his cause (allegedly). That's ----ed up. This is a guy you want as a main cog on your team?College kids have sex and sometimes have children out of wedlock...but really that could happen to anybody. This is on a different level. This is something that most people wouldn't do. He has some deep-seeded issues going on.Lol deep seeded issues? Christian Peter a former player that's a dude who had some deep seeded issues coming out of college. Here us the thing if he made this up to get attention, it's strange but there has been things done by people far worse. If he was fooled by this and didn't know, I can see where a college kid who is doing nothing but playing football and going to class found some relief by forming a relationship with someone online. You have to understand how little free time these kids have. He may have just been looking for an outlet and allowed himself to be fooled.

WiIdcat
01-17-2013, 07:52 PM
Exactly. The media.

Ever heard of a smokescreen? With as knowledgeable about the draft as you think you are I'm sure you have. If I was a team in the late 20's I'd be saying the same thing hoping he falls to us.

I understand what you're saying. He is definitely not going to be a top 5 pick and probably not a top 10 anymore, but he is definitely a top 15 talent. Due to the devaluation of the ILB, he won't be drafted that high, but that doesn't mean he isn't that talented. I'd say he's the best linebacker in the draft.

slipknottin
01-17-2013, 07:58 PM
Ever heard of a smokescreen? With as knowledgeable about the draft as you think you are I'm sure you have. If I was a team in the late 20's I'd be saying the same thing hoping he falls to us.

Alright. Believe what you want.

Ive seen enough of him on film to know he is nowhere near the prospect of Kuehcly. He is a mid-late 1st round pick. Never was close to being a top 10 talent. And he sure as hell is not "definitely a top 15 talent"

Being the best middle linebacker in an incredibly weak middle linebacker draft (and really no blue chip guys at any position) isnt all that impressive.

Really his only competition is a 5'11 Minter, or a converted safety in Ogletree.

Just like Te'o being nominated for the Heisman, it wasent because Te'o was such a great player, its because he played on a good team and there was almost no competition in the race. They ended up essentially being forced to give it to a redshirt freshman.

Carter.525
01-17-2013, 08:08 PM
Bleacher report has his as a mid 2nd now.. For what it's worth

ImElectric2
01-17-2013, 08:28 PM
Lol deep seeded issues? Christian Peter a former player that's a dude who had some deep seeded issues coming out of college. Here us the thing if he made this up to get attention, it's strange but there has been things done by people far worse. If he was fooled by this and didn't know, I can see where a college kid who is doing nothing but playing football and going to class found some relief by forming a relationship with someone online. You have to understand how little free time these kids have. He may have just been looking for an outlet and allowed himself to be fooled.This. 100%.

joemorrisforprez
01-17-2013, 09:45 PM
Alot depends on what shakes out in this virtual girlfriend hoax.

But given the shellacking that Alabama laid on the ND defense, coupled with this hoax scandal, I don't see a top 10 team selecting this dude.

His character elevated what was really a mid-1st pick, and that's gone now.

TherealLTwears56
01-17-2013, 09:48 PM
I'm all for it!

GTGiantsFan
01-17-2013, 09:49 PM
Don't see how he passes the Steelers.

Carter.525
01-17-2013, 09:49 PM
I wouldnt hate it.. or love it..

joemorrisforprez
01-17-2013, 09:52 PM
I wouldnt hate it.. or love it..

After the watching the BCS title, and now this fake girlfriend BS, I don't know if this guy is NFL material. Could be a huge bust......I honestly don't know anymore.

Stick this rube in the NYC market... it could get really stupid.

I Bleed Blue 56
01-17-2013, 09:56 PM
We need a Linebacker an if ogletree is not there which he wont be cuz the Steelers will draft a linebacker. Te'o would be an upgrade over Blackburn.

Buddy333
01-17-2013, 09:59 PM
Pass.

joemorrisforprez
01-17-2013, 10:07 PM
Pass.

Could be another Brian Bozworth.

Buddy333
01-17-2013, 10:09 PM
Think hey should go DE in the first. Also, just don't know if he is better than some other LB's that might be one board.

TheAnalyst
01-17-2013, 10:09 PM
Are you guys kidding me? Did you watch the Championship game vs an low end NFL caliber offense? He will be facing Lacy and all those Olinemen, and others much better in the NFL.

OVERRATED

Ogletree or DE or OL

No ManLie Te'o PLEASE

bashful
01-17-2013, 10:52 PM
Alot depends on what shakes out in this virtual girlfriend hoax.

But given the shellacking that Alabama laid on the ND defense, coupled with this hoax scandal, I don't see a top 10 team selecting this dude.

His character elevated what was really a mid-1st pick, and that's gone now.

They would draft him and TC wouldn't play him - he is a rookie

myles2424
01-17-2013, 10:55 PM
Lol deep seeded issues? Christian Peter a former player that's a dude who had some deep seeded issues coming out of college. Here us the thing if he made this up to get attention, it's strange but there has been things done by people far worse. If he was fooled by this and didn't know, I can see where a college kid who is doing nothing but playing football and going to class found some relief by forming a relationship with someone online. You have to understand how little free time these kids have. He may have just been looking for an outlet and allowed himself to be fooled. sounds like Youve been the victim of a online dating disaster.....there's nothing normal about this story, lets not act like no big deal......Teo is either pathetic/extremely stupid or he's one of the biggest frauds in the history of football......I'll take a crack smokin,hooker bangin LT before some nutcase that created a B.S girlfriend & made up this tragedy and had the whole country on his back while it was all lies....dude needs help

moosedrool
01-17-2013, 11:15 PM
Depending on what the truth actually is, he is either a liar or incredibly stupid. No thanks.

Rat_bastich
01-17-2013, 11:17 PM
Are you guys kidding me? Did you watch the Championship game vs an low end NFL caliber offense? He will be facing Lacy and all those Olinemen, and others much better in the NFL.

OVERRATED

Ogletree or DE or OL

No ManLie Te'o PLEASE

I'm willing to see what this guy is made of. The thought going around is that Te'o was aware that the girlfriend thing was going to come out soon after the BCS and that his play was affected because of it. This was something in the works in December, but the lollygagging of ND and Te'o didn't let them get in front of the story. It is hard to believe that a guy who had been as dominant as he was throughout the season would fall off so fast and hard, even against a team like Alabama. He didn't even show up and looked like he didn't want to be there.

This could be a serious wake up call that could motivate him.

Giant stuck in Texas
01-17-2013, 11:27 PM
Reese? LB? First round?

You guys are speaking crazy.....

TheEnigma
01-17-2013, 11:31 PM
If he fell to the 3rd or further, I wouldn't mind the pick (assuming he isn't busted for scheming this hoax)

TheShouldersOf
01-17-2013, 11:52 PM
never been a fan, i believe he is highly overrated, despite what his stats may say this season, i would not like that pick here

rainierjef
01-18-2013, 12:12 AM
After the watching the BCS title, and now this fake girlfriend BS, I don't know if this guy is NFL material. Could be a huge bust......I honestly don't know anymore.

Stick this rube in the NYC market... it could get really stupid.

you watched one game and made a decision without looking at the other 4 years of tape. seriously? you should take mel kipers job, you are more than qualified.

sorry for the sarcasm but this is ridiculous now.

Rat_bastich
01-18-2013, 12:28 AM
you watched one game and made a decision without looking at the other 4 years of tape. seriously? you should take mel kipers job, you are more than qualified.

Here here! While I don't agree with him going in the top 10, I do think this guy is NFL material based on his career. The guy has always been over the 100 mark in tackles with the exception of his freshman season(63), has had a sack per year(2011 had 5...ILB are not sack artists) and has had multiple pass deflections and a couple of forced fumbles. One BCS title game does not make the player.

I do think though that after these events, this guy will probably be the last guy to ever screw up again.

luni
01-18-2013, 12:40 AM
Pass.

This kid looks soft. and he would not be made to suit up in a giants uniform.

the story is kinda ridiculous. yea it hurts his draft status, but just looking at the kid, he just looks soft. like that middle line backer that use to play in seattle. some hawain lookin dude. forgot his name. i want a mean, killer type line backer, not some wimp 22 year old fake gf.

Cloud57
01-18-2013, 01:08 AM
Depending on what the truth actually is, he is either a liar or incredibly stupid. No thanks.he looks dumb to me lol

rainierjef
01-18-2013, 01:17 AM
This kid looks soft. and he would not be made to suit up in a giants uniform.

the story is kinda ridiculous. yea it hurts his draft status, but just looking at the kid, he just looks soft. like that middle line backer that use to play in seattle. some hawain lookin dude. forgot his name. i want a mean, killer type line backer, not some wimp 22 year old fake gf.

Really? what about his 212 solo tkl's in four years looks soft to you? or the 30+ Tkls for loss, combined 400+ tkl's, 17 passes deflected? whats soft about this kid? what makes you the resident expert on who should suit up in giants blue? you want a killer type line backer; great description should he have fangs too? this is stupid people who have not watched the kid play in all but one game of his 4 year career have the nerve to talk. just last year he was the talk of the draft on these same boards best ILB coming out now one BCS game and a fake girlfriend hoax and hes the next gholston type bust coming out? wow!

ImElectric2
01-18-2013, 02:20 AM
Everyone has their own struggles. Just because his are less relatable doesn't mean he deserves any less of a 'pass' or compassion. I hope that your struggles arent misunderstood, marginalized, and used to discredit you in your pursuits. The kids 22 years old. He deserves a break and the benefit of the doubt.

PennState1
01-18-2013, 04:04 AM
ND played a soft schedule and got exposed in the title game. He is overrated and over hyped. It will come out that this story was fabricated to get him and ND the trophy. He is not only overrated but a phony and a lier as well. No thanks!

NYGisBallin
01-18-2013, 06:50 AM
ND played a soft schedule and got exposed in the title game. He is overrated and over hyped. It will come out that this story was fabricated to get him and ND the trophy. He is not only overrated but a phony and a lier as well. No thanks!

+1

Redeyejedi
01-18-2013, 07:49 AM
Because that is all any scout has said since they have been asked. You find me a single NFL scout that says Teo is a top 10 pick. Go ahead.

Kiper and ESPN are not scouts. Agents are definitely into Kiper. Smaller Agents ask me to do favors and im not on TV radio or anything.

BlueSanta
01-18-2013, 09:35 AM
What McShay said yesterday, and I am paraphrasing....

He said Manti Te'o was a mid/late 1st round prospect on skill and tape alone. However, according to his sources and the scouts he talked with the intagibles and leadership elevated Te'o's stock above that. Now, because of this scandal and the fact that some teammates have come out and spoken against Te'o the intangibles/leadership may actually work against him and lower his stock instead of raising it. He said obviouisly more needs to be known about the scandal.

My own personal belief is that he belongs in a 3-4 scheme anyways. So he isnt a great fit for us.

TCHOF
01-18-2013, 09:48 AM
He will be there at 19 and we will not take him.

I would be surprised, but not shocked, if he is there for us in the second.

shane4177
01-18-2013, 10:59 AM
They would draft him and TC wouldn't play him - he is a rookie

LOL....this is soo true. I personally don't won't us to draft him. Unless he completely blows up at the combine.......I don't see his draft stock showing him to be anymore than what it is now.

myles2424
01-18-2013, 12:19 PM
I don't want a nutcase like that on our team.....BUT, it's amazing how all a sudden guys are saying all this BS that they never liked him,he's goin to bust,etc....before the Alabama game,not one person had the balls to say any of this....when his name got mentioned, people were either all over his jock or you were getting made fun of because everyone thought there'd be absolutely no way we'd have a chance at him...Now outta nowhere there's all these experts that never liked him to begin with, yea F'n right!!! There's a lot of clowns out there!

Kruunch
01-18-2013, 01:52 PM
If he fell to the 3rd or further, I wouldn't mind the pick (assuming he isn't busted for scheming this hoax)

+1

I wouldn't touch him with my first two picks.

slipknottin
01-18-2013, 02:28 PM
I don't want a nutcase like that on our team.....BUT, it's amazing how all a sudden guys are saying all this BS that they never liked him,he's goin to bust,etc....before the Alabama game,not one person had the balls to say any of this....when his name got mentioned, people were either all over his jock or you were getting made fun of because everyone thought there'd be absolutely no way we'd have a chance at him...Now outta nowhere there's all these experts that never liked him to begin with, yea F'n right!!! There's a lot of clowns out there!

I've been saying he was a mid-late first rounder for months. Every post I made about him was how he was in no way this 1st overall type talent Espn was talking about.

myles2424
01-18-2013, 03:14 PM
I've been saying he was a mid-late first rounder for months. Every post I made about him was how he was in no way this 1st overall type talent Espn was talking about.
I know that...But mid-late,wich he is....But everyones opinon suddenly went from him being next Ray Lewis & all a sudden hes a bum that nobody wants (aside from the GF thing).....Lets be honest, %99 of the boards before the alabama game wouldve sacraficed their childern to have a shot at Teo....

RoanokeFan
01-18-2013, 04:04 PM
http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/giants/post/_/id/22033/giant-question-to-teo-or-not

Excerpt: "As Manti Te'o (http://espn.go.com/college-football/player/_/id/517633/manti-teo) emerged as one of the best players in college football last season, I started hearing from fans who wanted to see Te'o in a Giants uniform next season.

The majority of fans I hear from constantly want the Giants to draft a stud linebacker in the first round, and Te'o is one of the best after finishing second in the Heisman race.

But what I want to know now is how fans feel about Te'o after the crazy story of the girlfriend hoax exploded this week. It's something our friend Dan Graziano explores (http://espn.go.com/blog/nfceast/post/_/id/48360/could-should-the-giants-look-at-teo) over at the NFC East blog."

"Te'o would be a young prospect who certainly appeared to be a presence as a leader on the field for Notre Dame during the season. How his talent and athleticism project at the pro level remains to be seen. Teams will do extensive research on Te'o's character and personality. And will he even be available when the Giants draft with the 19th pick?

We know the Giants rarely spend first-round picks on linebackers. The franchise typically steers clear of controversy, and Te'o would come with a major distraction right from the start." Read more...

hungrrrry
01-20-2013, 12:44 PM
I think this could be our opportunity for a top quality LB and T'eo and Ogletree appear to be in our reach at #19. Maybe even trade a few spots down to get Ogletree...I would select T'eo at 19.

I doubt T'eo has issues (other than being a bit of a Herb) and could be the anchor this team has needed since the '90's at MLB. DE can wait further into the 2nd round.

I think we need some key pieces in FA and the draft which are attainable, we just need to go for it instead of bringing in cheap help. We need quality Vets with experience. Our MLBs currently don't have the type of accumine you want to transition a 3rd round pick. We need an NFL ready MLB draft pick or proven quality/durable vet who can step right in. The other issue is our OLB's...who is impressed with them? Not me. If we can make 2013 a focus on high quality LB play we may not need so much on the D-line and secondary.

I like J. Williams but durability is becoming a potential problem with him...but he becomes great depth otherwise, or possibly OLB in an effort to get the most productive players on the field.

If we draft DE and or CB in the first we are going to struggle once again. Fewell asks our CBs way too much cushion in the read and react defense which allows an assault on our LBs with short and midrange success for our opponents. The Giants are only getting more pressure to deal with the read option and we have no talent to defend against it and a worse scheme.

I know we need OL help and a great safety against the run that has durability...but, maybe we can solidify our LB corp this season and then reevaluate...maybe the other needs won't be as significant if we stop piece-mealing a defense and focus on a group to repair each season to help the other groups. If we could get an NFL ready MLB in the 1st and a nearly or potentially NFL ready OLB in the 2nd, I'd do it in a second...so trading up with Tuck as potential trade bait...I am for it.

Carter.525
01-20-2013, 12:46 PM
I'm all in now for a LB in the 1st..

RoanokeFan
01-20-2013, 12:48 PM
The Giants do not like player controversy, and at the point in time, Manti has some 'spalinin to do.

RoanokeFan
01-20-2013, 12:48 PM
I'm all in now for a LB in the 1st..

Is LT the last time we did that?

ibbill
01-20-2013, 12:52 PM
Is LT the last time we did that?

Carl Banks LB taken 1984 in the first round. LT in 1981 wow long time not to ever draft a LB first round

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/nyg/draft.htm

TheEnigma
01-20-2013, 12:54 PM
Te'o struggled too much against Alabama (the closest thing you will get to an NFL line) for my liking as our 1st round pick. Honestly, I'd rather have Ogletree, Greene, or Brown over him in terms of traditional, non-pass rushing LBs. He would be an excellent fit in a 3-4 scheme like the Steelers though.

RoanokeFan
01-20-2013, 12:57 PM
Carl Banks LB taken 1984 in the first round. LT in 1981 wow long time not to ever draft a LB first round

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/nyg/draft.htm

I think they prefer the front four approach now because of the more mobile QB's. But you have to have impact players which we were missing last season.

Jacquian Williams, if healthy, will help this season. As could Rivers if he can get healthy

hungrrrry
01-20-2013, 01:06 PM
Te'o struggled too much against Alabama (the closest thing you will get to an NFL line) for my liking as our 1st round pick. Honestly, I'd rather have Ogletree, Greene, or Brown over him in terms of traditional, non-pass rushing LBs. He would be an excellent fit in a 3-4 scheme like the Steelers though.Thats one game and ND struggled as a team...Every great player, including HOF'ers had their bad games. That doesn't suggest they are not NFL ready and some of them weren't. What kind of leader are you? do you love the game/competing? there are several insights that make up the player other than stats and he seems to have a passion for the game and that will not only make you better but make others around feed off that passion and they too become better because they start to want it more by "osmosis"...Ray Lewis is a great example...not that I am saying T'eo is the next RL.

I would like Ogletree and maybe at 19 I could deal with that pick but I think we can get him 5 spots back or so in the first...maybe he falls into the second.

Cloud57
01-20-2013, 01:08 PM
http://coedbc.files.wordpress.com/2013/01/manti-teo-wonderlic-test.jpg?w=600&h=350

RoanokeFan
01-20-2013, 01:10 PM
Thats one game and ND struggled as a team...Every great player, including HOF'ers had their bad games. That doesn't suggest they are not NFL ready and some of them weren't. What kind of leader are you? do you love the game/competing? there are several insights that make up the player other than stats and he seems to have a passion for the game and that will not only make you better but make others around feed off that passion and they too become better because they start to want it more by "osmosis"...Ray Lewis is a great example...not that I am saying T'eo is the next RL.

I would like Ogletree and maybe at 19 I could deal with that pick but I think we can get him 5 spots back or so in the first...maybe he falls into the second.

If it should turn out that Te'o orchestrated the girlfriend fiasco, don't be shocked if the Giants pass if he's still there at 19 First, we have biger issues on either line. Second, he's going to be carrying a lot of baggage in this media market. Every thing he does will be painfully scrutinized to death.

Can he handle that and does the team want to?

Cloud57
01-20-2013, 01:12 PM
http://i2.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/000/482/422/d39.jpg

hungrrrry
01-20-2013, 01:14 PM
I think they prefer the front four approach now because of the more mobile QB's. But you have to have impact players which we were missing last season.

Jacquian Williams, if healthy, will help this season. As could Rivers if he can get healthy
The mere sight and sounds of those words "...if healthy.." makes my ****ing skin crawl.

...I am so sick of hoping these guys stay healthy to the potential detriment of the entire group. We don't have the best trainers which is, perenially, why we usually have the longest list of injuries of any team in the NFL. Our LBs are in an annual state of languish by mid-October, leading up to our annual mid-season collapse. Combine that with a typical loss of S Kenny Phillips and Perry Fewell's catatonic panic reaction.

We need an slight overhaul with well-selected pieces just in this area to give the proper jolt this team needs.

TheEnigma
01-20-2013, 01:16 PM
Thats one game and ND struggled as a team...Every great player, including HOF'ers had their bad games. That doesn't suggest they are not NFL ready and some of them weren't. What kind of leader are you? do you love the game/competing? there are several insights that make up the player other than stats and he seems to have a passion for the game and that will not only make you better but make others around feed off that passion and they too become better because they start to want it more by "osmosis"...Ray Lewis is a great example...not that I am saying T'eo is the next RL.

But the fact it was against the best OL he had seen in his entire college career is what worries me about taking him with the 1st pick. There are legitimate questions about his athleticism at the next level. Will he be able to produce the sort of plays in the backfield against NFL level TEs when he has to consistently deal with athletes on his level or better? He could be Ray Lewis 2.0 or he could be Aaron Curry 2.0. If you are going to take someone with your 1st round pick, he shouldn't have questions about his athletic upside.

I suggest you watch the film of Ogletree vs. Alabama and see how much better he did vs Te'o. Huge plus in my book that he arguably had one of his best games in the most important game of his college career. If he has a huge combine like expected, don't be surprised if he is picked ahead of Te'o.

RoanokeFan
01-20-2013, 01:17 PM
The mere sight and sounds of those words "...if healthy.." makes my ****ing skin crawl.

...I am so sick of hoping these guys stay healthy to the potential detriment of the entire group. We don't have the best trainers which is, perenially, why we usually have the longest list of injuries of any team in the NFL. Our LBs are in an annual state of languish by mid-October, leading up to our annual mid-season collapse. Combine that with a typical loss of S Kenny Phillips and Perry Fewell's catatonic panic reaction.

We need an slight overhaul with well-selected pieces just in this area to give the proper jolt this team needs.

We actually had an entire thread about who has the most injured players in 2012 and the Giants were closer to the bottom of the list than the top. It really has nothing to do with the trainers. Injuries happen to every team,

hungrrrry
01-20-2013, 01:21 PM
If it should turn out that Te'o orchestrated the girlfriend fiasco, don't be shocked if the Giants pass if he's still there at 19 First, we have biger issues on either line. Second, he's going to be carrying a lot of baggage in this media market. Every thing he does will be painfully scrutinized to death.

Can he handle that and does the team want to?I agree with this but all signs NOW suggest he had nothing to do with it other than being gullible. That is my only worry with him but maybe all of this lights a fire under him. If he did create some of this BS then I don't want him hear...Shockey was a headcase and I can't stand that personality type. I understand the baggage issue but if he can compartmentalize that and show what kind of player he can be (starting with the Combine) this can easily be put behind him. I see this also exploding like Tebow but the difference is, Tebow didn't have the ability at his position that T'eo has at LB.

RoanokeFan
01-20-2013, 01:27 PM
I agree with this but all signs NOW suggest he had nothing to do with it other than being gullible. That is my only worry with him but maybe all of this lights a fire under him. If he did create some of this BS then I don't want him hear...Shockey was a headcase and I can't stand that personality type. I understand the baggage issue but if he can compartmentalize that and show what kind of player he can be (starting with the Combine) this can easily be put behind him. I see this also exploding like Tebow but the difference is, Tebow didn't have the ability at his position that T'eo has at LB.

It will all come out at some point and I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt until then. But as is always the case, lying about some act or omission is always treated worse than the original act or omission.

hungrrrry
01-20-2013, 01:28 PM
But the fact it was against the best OL he had seen in his entire college career is what worries me about taking him with the 1st pick. There are legitimate questions about his athleticism at the next level. Will he be able to produce the sort of plays in the backfield against NFL level TEs when he has to consistently deal with athletes on his level or better? He could be Ray Lewis 2.0 or he could be Aaron Curry 2.0. If you are going to take someone with your 1st round pick, he shouldn't have questions about his athletic upside.

I suggest you watch the film of Ogletree vs. Alabama and see how much better he did vs Te'o. Huge plus in my book that he arguably had one of his best games in the most important game of his college career. If he has a huge combine like expected, don't be surprised if he is picked ahead of Te'o.
Noted...I'm not against taking Ogletree at all...I believe they both will have good careers in the NFL. My point is more the focus of our upgrades leaning more to our LB corp than any other unit.

gmen0820
01-20-2013, 01:28 PM
I think we should address LBer at some point, but definitely not first round.

Maybe take a flier on McClain at the bare minimum.

hungrrrry
01-20-2013, 01:31 PM
It will all come out at some point and I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt until then. But as is always the case, lying about some act or omission is always treated worse than the original act or omission.I'm on board with that! As I mentioned with my reply to TheEnigma, we need a more focused improvement rapidly as opposed to ove several years...in respect to LB's

TheEnigma
01-20-2013, 01:35 PM
Noted...I'm not against taking Ogletree at all...I believe they both will have good careers in the NFL. My point is more the focus of our upgrades leaning more to our LB corp than any other unit.

Only to a certain point. If you got a player on your board that you grade equal with Ogletree who happens to be a pass rusher or cornerback...you take the more important position. Linebackers aren't useless but I'd say that it all starts with solidifying the front 4 and then your defensive backs outside the numbers.

bansaw
01-20-2013, 01:49 PM
if he bites that hard on an internet troll just imagine what a NFL playaction will do to him

BigBlue1971
01-20-2013, 01:52 PM
I think this could be our opportunity for a top quality LB and T'eo and Ogletree appear to be in our reach at #19. Maybe even trade a few spots down to get Ogletree...I would select T'eo at 19.

I doubt T'eo has issues (other than being a bit of a Herb) and could be the anchor this team has needed since the '90's at MLB. DE can wait further into the 2nd round.

I think we need some key pieces in FA and the draft which are attainable, we just need to go for it instead of bringing in cheap help. We need quality Vets with experience. Our MLBs currently don't have the type of accumine you want to transition a 3rd round pick. We need an NFL ready MLB draft pick or proven quality/durable vet who can step right in. The other issue is our OLB's...who is impressed with them? Not me. If we can make 2013 a focus on high quality LB play we may not need so much on the D-line and secondary.

I like J. Williams but durability is becoming a potential problem with him...but he becomes great depth otherwise, or possibly OLB in an effort to get the most productive players on the field.

If we draft DE and or CB in the first we are going to struggle once again. Fewell asks our CBs way too much cushion in the read and react defense which allows an assault on our LBs with short and midrange success for our opponents. The Giants are only getting more pressure to deal with the read option and we have no talent to defend against it and a worse scheme.

I know we need OL help and a great safety against the run that has durability...but, maybe we can solidify our LB corp this season and then reevaluate...maybe the other needs won't be as significant if we stop piece-mealing a defense and focus on a group to repair each season to help the other groups. If we could get an NFL ready MLB in the 1st and a nearly or potentially NFL ready OLB in the 2nd, I'd do it in a second...so trading up with Tuck as potential trade bait...I am for it.

i dont know if mlb is a higher priority than o-line, d-line or maybe even corner!

i do know they need help at those positions and i think JR will address that concern!

my personal preference is draft o-line then d-end and maybe linebacker later!

free agency may even produce a high impact backer who will meet our needs!

the bottom line is we need to shore up several positions and i hope we can meet those needs!

giantsfan420
01-20-2013, 01:53 PM

I suggest you watch the film of Ogletree vs. Alabama and see how much better he did vs Te'o. Huge plus in my book that he arguably had one of his best games in the most important game of his college career. If he has a huge combine like expected, don't be surprised if he is picked ahead of Te'o.u got a link of ogeltree vs bama? from the admittedly little ive seen from ogeltree, theres no way id want him at 19. i have serious doubts he can come in and be mlb for us day 1...he needs to get much bigger/wider imo otherwise he'll get handled by the OLs in the NFL. the stuff i have seen on ogeltree, when an OL gets their hands on him, hes done for the play so...

TheEnigma
01-20-2013, 01:57 PM
u got a link of ogeltree vs bama? from the admittedly little ive seen from ogeltree, theres no way id want him at 19. i have serious doubts he can come in and be mlb for us day 1...he needs to get much bigger/wider imo otherwise he'll get handled by the OLs in the NFL. the stuff i have seen on ogeltree, when an OL gets their hands on him, hes done for the play so...

He's not supposed to be a day 1 starter because of exactly what you said but there's no reason a 6'3/6'4 linebacker can't add more weight with only 235 on him at the moment. Don't forget that the great Ray Lewis entered the league on the light side too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZy_y0on4u8

hungrrrry
01-20-2013, 01:57 PM
Only to a certain point. If you got a player on your board that you grade equal with Ogletree who happens to be a pass rusher or cornerback...you take the more important position. Linebackers aren't useless but I'd say that it all starts with solidifying the front 4 and then your defensive backs outside the numbers.our struggles in those areas are largely due to the weakness we have at LB. We are losing Osi, who in my opinion is the better player of him and Tuck (Tuck lost his passion and has health concerns)...I would prefer to see Kiwi on the line and I wouldn't hate the way-outside chance we retain Osi and trade Tuck. Osi worries me less than Tuck these days and I think Tuck has become a cancer in the locker room, just a feeling I get.

dakotajoe
01-20-2013, 02:03 PM
A healthy Williams or Rivers will make a big difference at the LB position next year.

I'm not sold on Te'o at all. He had a solid career at ND but a lot of his stardom was due to the hype machine at ESPN and other outlets. They even compared him to Ray Lewis which I find odd. When I listen to Te'o I'm lulled to sleep. On the other hand, Ray Lewis can even inspire me and I'm rarely moved by words. On top of that, will Te'o's Mormonism, Samoan background, and reputation after the girlfriend scandal make it harder for other players to accept him as a leader? He may be more of an outcast than one of the boys at first.

None of the MLB prospects in this draft have really jumped out at me forcing me to think "we must draft this guy". We have holes all over the defense so it may just come down to whoever is the highest rated player on the board.

Ogletree was suspended in 2010 for misdemeaner theft. He supposedly also has durability issues.

dakotajoe
01-20-2013, 02:07 PM
Osi worries me less than Tuck these days and I think Tuck has become a cancer in the locker room, just a feeling I get.

I haven't seen Tuck give up on plays at least. He just doesn't have the ability that he used to for whatever reason, probably a lot due to injury. I'm pretty sure he wouldn't be a captain if he was a cancer. We're not the NY Jets :).

miked1958
01-20-2013, 02:08 PM
I think we need to draft OLine first and LB second

TheEnigma
our struggles in those areas are largely due to the weakness we have at LB. We are losing Osi, who in my opinion is the better player of him and Tuck (Tuck lost his passion and has health concerns)...I would prefer to see Kiwi on the line and I wouldn't hate the way-outside chance we retain Osi and trade Tuck. Osi worries me less than Tuck these days and I think Tuck has become a cancer in the locker room, just a feeling I get.

I don't see how Blackburn or Herzlich's lack of sideline to sideline speed affects our pass rush or the breakdown in coverages that Webster/Rolle had on a consistent basis. I can understand and sympathize with everyone wanting a better LBer corp because of how awesome the 80s defense was but our biggest struggles this year were actually against more pass oriented teams like the Bengals, Falcons, and Ravens. We did pretty good against the read option this year with the exception of the 1st Redskins game.

slipknottin
u got a link of ogeltree vs bama? from the admittedly little ive seen from ogeltree, theres no way id want him at 19. i have serious doubts he can come in and be mlb for us day 1...he needs to get much bigger/wider imo otherwise he'll get handled by the OLs in the NFL. the stuff i have seen on ogeltree, when an OL gets their hands on him, hes done for the play so...

Weight is less of an issue. Ogletree's complete inability to stack and shed is a far more serious issue.

Ogletree is a weakside linebacker at the nfl right now. Run and chase where he doesnt have to take on and shed blockers.

miked1958
01-20-2013, 02:09 PM
Knowing the giants they will draft on DLine first

Redeyejedi
01-20-2013, 02:10 PM
http://blacksportsonline.com/home/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/manti-teo-dallas-stars.jpg

RoanokeFan
01-20-2013, 02:17 PM
if he bites that hard on an internet troll just imagine what a NFL playaction will do to him

You do have to Wonderlic lol

hungrrrry
01-20-2013, 02:24 PM
I don't see how Blackburn or Herzlich's lack of sideline to sideline speed affects our pass rush or the breakdown in coverages that Webster/Rolle had on a consistent basis. I can understand and sympathize with everyone wanting a better LBer corp because of how awesome the 80s defense was but our biggest struggles this year were actually against more pass oriented teams like the Bengals, Falcons, and Ravens. We did pretty good against the read option this year with the exception of the 1st Redskins game.and we struggled against those passing teams because instead of sending the rush we are dropping DEs into coverage giving even more time to QBs to make a play or even run a draw which ate us up also. Sure, we took Newtons game away from him but Griffin had better skills and more success...I wouldn't say we did well against read "option" in that regard. Our defense was too easily "read-able". if we had LB's that could handle the TE consistently we could send our line..I could almost hear even the least capable QBs laughing as our DEs would drop into coverage.

slipknottin
01-20-2013, 02:29 PM
and we struggled against those passing teams because instead of sending the rush we are dropping DEs into coverage giving even more time to QBs to make a play or even run a draw which ate us up also. Sure, we took Newtons game away from him but Griffin had better skills and more success...I wouldn't say we did well against read "option" in that regard. Our defense was too easily "read-able". if we had LB's that could handle the TE consistently we could send our line..I could almost hear even the least capable QBs laughing as our DEs would drop into coverage.

They didnt drop DEs that much. They did use the DEs to jam the TE however.

But Im not sure that would change with better LB play. Thats a big part of Fewell's scheme.

And there really are very few LBs in the league anymore who are capable of covering TEs. Really you have to use a safety on them

egyptian420
01-20-2013, 02:36 PM
If the BPA is a LB, I'm all for it. Personally though, I think OL, D-line, and CB are more dire needs.

gmen46
01-20-2013, 03:06 PM
If the BPA is a LB, I'm all for it. Personally though, I think OL, D-line, and CB are more dire needs.

Agree. They are not only more dire for us at this moment, they are more critical in general for overall success than a LB.

Without a dominant or near-dominant OL and DL, other "star" players in skill positions are more often than not neutralized or are not enough to win games. Conversely, dominant lines, on both sides of the ball, can ensure wins with mediocre-good skill players on the field.

Always was, always will be. Amen

giantsfan420
01-20-2013, 06:10 PM
Weight is less of an issue. Ogletree's complete inability to stack and shed is a far more serious issue.

Ogletree is a weakside linebacker at the nfl right now. Run and chase where he doesnt have to take on and shed blockers.wow so i wasnt wrong. thats what i thought, and its why id be upset if we picked him at 19...he could become an awesome lb i just dunno how quickly and we kinda need more ready prospects imo

giantsfan420
01-20-2013, 06:18 PM
He's not supposed to be a day 1 starter because of exactly what you said but there's no reason a 6'3/6'4 linebacker can't add more weight with only 235 on him at the moment. Don't forget that the great Ray Lewis entered the league on the light side too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZy_y0on4u8im seeing why people r intrigued with him. hes actually kinda what wed need imo. hes a converted safety with tremendous athleticism who can rush the edge too...he could end up being our counter to the spread options

G-Men Surg.
01-20-2013, 06:29 PM

For Rivers that is a big IF RF !

slipknottin
01-20-2013, 06:32 PM
im seeing why people r intrigued with him. hes actually kinda what wed need imo. hes a converted safety with tremendous athleticism who can rush the edge too...he could end up being our counter to the spread options

He just cant shed blocks. Look at how he runs around with his hands always at his sides. Even when near OL. The total opposite of active hands.

giantsfan420
01-20-2013, 07:03 PM
He just cant shed blocks. Look at how he runs around with his hands always at his sides. Even when near OL. The total opposite of active hands.dont get me wrong. i agree with ur thinking and feel the same and have stated it. i was accosted by some random poster bc i stated what u did in a more subtle way. but i do see some of the intrigue. the athleticism is off the charts, he looks like he could be awesome in coverage...urlacher was a converted safety to mlb...just saying its not like its a set thing hes gonna go one way or the other in terms of success

giantsfan420
01-20-2013, 07:04 PM
i wouldnt be too happy drafting him at 19. if we could move back and get an extra 2nd or 3rd and grab him later then itd change things obviously

TheAnalyst
01-21-2013, 01:05 PM
I know that...But mid-late,wich he is....But everyones opinon suddenly went from him being next Ray Lewis & all a sudden hes a bum that nobody wants (aside from the GF thing).....Lets be honest, %99 of the boards before the alabama game wouldve sacraficed their childern to have a shot at Teo....

Guess I'm the 1%.

Ogletree is way better and played a lot tougher competition.

joemorrisforprez
01-21-2013, 02:11 PM

Did I say that?

I live in the Chicago market.....we get nonstop ND coverage out here. They covered everything about him - except the make believe girlfriend he rode all the way though the Heisman competition.

Fact is, the kid was blown out against the same sort of blocking he'll be seeing in the NFL.....it was the biggest game of his collegiate career, and he was invisible. Great players come up in big games. I frankly couldn't care how many tackles he had against Wake Forest.

If he played in the SEC, he'd likely be considered a mid-range linebacker. So, no, I'd much rather take a dude like Ogletree that saw SEC running games on a weekly basis.....at least we can get a read on what we can expect against top-level competition.

Maybe the Combine will salvage his stock, but like I said, it hasn't been a good month.

flashnando
01-24-2013, 11:59 AM
http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2013/01/23/gm-jerry-reese-giants-will-interview-manti-teo-at-nfl-scouting-combine/

You think this is a move to make other teams think the Giants will draft him? maybe Reese hopes to make other teams think about this move and maybe take T'eo early so Reese can get the guy he is really after in the draft.

I think it's a front so other teams can take him early but just my thought on that topic.

Thoughts?

Cloud57
01-24-2013, 12:01 PM
it doesn't mean anything, he will interview many other players as well.

Toadofsteel
01-24-2013, 12:03 PM
Everyone essentially is interviewing Te'o. It's to get a sense of his actual character in light of the recent scandals surrounding him.

TheAnalyst
01-24-2013, 12:05 PM
I would hope he does... But I also hope we dont draft him.

Red Dog
01-24-2013, 12:08 PM
JR's job is to interview all prostective draft need possibilities, I don't think he is playing any games to fool another team away from who he wants, and, who would that be at this point. JR like every GM has alist of draft candidates and will talk to all of them and a fewothers as well. At #19 he already has a list of possibilities, I'm sure, so as to draft next in line if his first choice(s) are taken. T'eo's ranking for his position against all teams needing him at his position.are who JR is up against. I like reading the different draft prohecies and am waiting to see what they list for the Giants - LB or OL

Shockeystays08
01-24-2013, 01:19 PM
not all that great? based on what? his total domination this year?

He looked absolutely pathetic in all phases of the game vs. Bama. If you can't bring your A game to the National Championship game - no thanks. Jones and a few others are much more interesting.

Redeyejedi
01-25-2013, 07:18 AM
Everyone essentially is interviewing Te'o. It's to get a sense of his actual character in light of the recent scandals surrounding him. Its good to get a sense of as many guys as possible even if u arent drafting them u never know what will happen down the road

evojutsu
01-25-2013, 09:26 AM
The Giants need to draft lineman on both sides of the ball. Improve the lines everything else will fall into place. I could even see a DT since Marvin Austin is a bust

+1, a STUD DT that can stop the middle and somehow cause pressure on the QB. Im thinking like Smith on the 49ers, very hard to find. Depends what JR does in free agency to address both lines

TCHOF
01-25-2013, 09:42 AM
+1, a STUD DT that can stop the middle and somehow cause pressure on the QB. Im thinking like Smith on the 49ers, very hard to find. Depends what JR does in free agency to address both lines

I agree with Redeye . . . .improve the lines on both sides of the ball and let everything else fall into place.