PDA

View Full Version : John Mara: Giants Will Improve

RoanokeFan
01-24-2013, 04:57 PM
http://espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/story/_/id/8877410/john-mara-disappointed-new-york-giants-reach-playoffs

Excerpt: "New York Giants' owner John Mara, in his first public comments following the 2012 season, said he's "very disappointed" that his team did not reach the playoffs.

However, Mara doesn't think wholesale changes are needed and believes his team's title window is very much open as long as Eli Manning (http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/_/id/5526/eli-manning) is the quarterback.

"Obviously, we were very disappointed not being in the postseason," Mara said Thursday following a Super Bowl XLVIII news conference at City Hall. "I haven't quite gotten over that yet, particularly the back-to-back games in Atlanta and Baltimore.

"But sometimes you go through things like that and it just strengthens our resolve to put a better team on the field. We've got some areas we need to improve on, and we're gonna do that.

"The Giants won the Super Bowl last season and looked like they'd have a chance to repeat this year after getting off to a 6-2 start. But they lost five of their last eight games -- including two of their last three -- to leave themselves in a position in which they had to win and get help from several teams to make the playoff cut. In Weeks 15 and 16, the Falcons and Ravens outscored the Giants by a combined 67-14 margin.

"I've been around this team a long time, and I thought I'd seen everything," Mara said. "But I certainly didn't expect the two weeks we had there in Atlanta and Baltimore. At least we finished the season on a decent note (a 42-7 victory over Philadelphia, which went for naught when Chicago's win over Detroit ended the Giants' season)." Read more...

Toadofsteel
01-24-2013, 05:21 PM
Really? You've never seen a 2nd half collapse before. You own this team that is known for it's 2nd half collapses, and you have not seen that happen in 2010, 2009, 2006, or 2005?

SweetZombieJesus
01-24-2013, 05:57 PM
Really? You've never seen a 2nd half collapse before. You own this team that is known for it's 2nd half collapses, and you have not seen that happen in 2010, 2009, 2006, or 2005?

Was he in a coma during the 2010 Philly game? I know we all would like to forget it, but sheesh

Cloud57
01-24-2013, 05:59 PM
I'm waiting for the John Mara press conference

JesseJames
01-24-2013, 05:59 PM
God I hope Mara has a plan to fix this defense...

TCHOF
01-24-2013, 06:02 PM

Where does he say that he's never seen a second half collapse before?

Morehead State
01-24-2013, 06:14 PM
I suppose it really depends on what he means by "wholesale changes".
I think several of our core players have gotten a bit old and their productivity has dropped. The time may be now to address this problem.
If not wholesale changes, there should at least be significant changes.

Cloud57
01-24-2013, 06:40 PM
I think several of our core players have gotten a bit old and their productivity has dropped. The time may be now to address this problem.
If not wholesale changes, there should at least be significant changes.almost every team is making changes for the better, the Giants have been quiet thus far, I know it's still early but I hope they're not satisfied with being a 9-7 team.

RoanokeFan
01-24-2013, 06:41 PM
[QUOTE=Toadofsteel;669861]Really? You've never seen a 2nd half collapse before. You own this team that is known for it's 2nd half collapses, and you have not seen that happen in 2010, 2009, 2006, or 2005?[/QUOTE

He was referring to two specific games.

RoanokeFan
01-24-2013, 06:47 PM
If not wholesale changes, there should at least be significant changes.

When he says "wholesale changes" I take that to mean rebuilding.

RoanokeFan
01-24-2013, 06:48 PM

Nowhere

thomasjmarino
01-24-2013, 07:08 PM
almost every team is making changes for the better, the Giants have been quiet thus far, I know it's still early but I hope they're not satisfied with being a 9-7 team.

The HC obviously is since there will be no coaching changes

Morehead State
01-24-2013, 07:18 PM
maybe he's just unsatisfied with the players.
And also.....being dissatisfied with coaches doesn't necessarily mean he needs to fire them.

We won't know anything about what our plans are for next year for a while yet.

RoanokeFan
01-24-2013, 07:41 PM

Maybe we should wait to see what changes they actually make?

P_Simms_#11
01-24-2013, 08:47 PM

That's no fun. :)

joemorrisforprez
01-24-2013, 09:57 PM

I agree.....I have no faith in this defense, so watching them get rolled by the Falcons and Ravens was depressing, but certainly not a surprise.

joemorrisforprez
01-24-2013, 10:00 PM

Sadly, I don't expect many changes at all.

Gilbride will stick to the same offense that relies on Eli to throw perfect bombs.
Fewell will stick to the same defense that either recovers a turnover or allows a TD.
Reese will stick with a plan that ignores linebackers.

BigBlue wins
01-24-2013, 11:07 PM

Gilbride will stick to the same offense that relies on Eli to throw perfect bombs.
Fewell will stick to the same defense that either recovers a turnover or allows a TD.

rinse, wash and repeat 9-7

Redeyejedi
01-24-2013, 11:12 PM
Unless a couple players find the fountain of youth especially Tuck and Webster I think it will take 2 off seasons maybe 3 to fix the roster to Super bowl contender level. Thats assuming they keep the core young players.Schedule isnt awful next season so the playoffs is still a attainable goal

TheShouldersOf
01-25-2013, 02:56 AM
almost every team is making changes for the better, the Giants have been quiet thus far, I know it's still early but I hope they're not satisfied with being a 9-7 team.

Quite so, and not just in the NFC east, i don't believe 9-7 will be good enough anymore, which means the entire Giants staff have to stop being complacent and content

which means either Veterans get cut, or not as much playing time, which means you get people into the System a.s.a.p even if that means altering the systems, and getting the team younger instead of waiting until it takes a couple years to rebuild

TheShouldersOf
01-25-2013, 02:57 AM

Which means missing the playoffs again,

how long will the 'Superbowl in 5 years' last? when is it time to change the systems etc?

TCHOF
01-25-2013, 07:37 AM

Ha ha . . . . please name all of the teams that have made changes for the better since the season ended?

SweetZombieJesus
01-25-2013, 08:03 AM

"I've been around this team a long time, and I thought I'd seen everything," Mara said. "But I certainly didn't expect the two weeks we had there in Atlanta and Baltimore. At least we finished the season on a decent note (a 42-7 victory over Philadelphia, which went for naught when Chicago's win over Detroit ended the Giants' season)."

Didn't expect the two weeks we had in Atlanta and Baltimore?

We had pretty much those same two weeks in 2010 against Philly and Green Bay. The difference being we were winning the Philly game by 24 points with 7:30 left and didn't show up the following week whereas this year we just flat out didn't show up at all.

We pretty much had those same two weeks in 2009 against Carolina and Minnesota.

We pretty much had those same two weeks in 2008 against Philly and Dallas.

We pretty much had those same two weeks in 2006 against Philly and New Orleans.

BigBlue wins
01-25-2013, 08:26 AM
"I've been around this team a long time, and I thought I'd seen everything," Mara said. "But I certainly didn't expect the two weeks we had there in Atlanta and Baltimore. At least we finished the season on a decent note (a 42-7 victory over Philadelphia, which went for naught when Chicago's win over Detroit ended the Giants' season)."

We had pretty much those same two weeks in 2010 against Philly and Green Bay. The difference being we were winning the Philly game by 24 points with 7:30 left and didn't show up the following week whereas this year we just flat out didn't show up at all.

I think Mara is referring to just this season. We did wipe the floor with SF and Greenbay.

TCHOF
01-25-2013, 10:19 AM

Just as I thought. He didn't say that he had never seen a second half collapse before.

JesseJames
01-25-2013, 11:58 AM
I certainly hope the front office is not satisfied with a 9 and 7 season because as has been said here I'm not sure 9 and 7 gets you into the playoffs anymore and that kind of record is just middle of the pack and would hate to see us be satisfied with that instead of trying to improve..

Diamondring
01-25-2013, 12:11 PM
After Giants beat the Egals like they stole something, I wonder did the players even playe their full potential?

GTGiantsFan
01-25-2013, 12:16 PM
We've been a 8-8 - 10-6 team for years, obviously the FO is fine with that.

Rudyy
01-25-2013, 12:20 PM
Well I hope that both players and coaches realize 9-7 will NOT cut it.
Also, the whole "We know how to turn it on" needs to be ON always.

TheShouldersOf
01-25-2013, 05:09 PM
nothing has shown they are not content with an average season, even the Superbowl run they were 9-7

content with average play, average coaching etc

JesseJames
01-25-2013, 06:23 PM
I doubt that any team would be happy paying a team 100 million a year for a mediocre performance and being satisfied with that

SweetZombieJesus
01-25-2013, 09:07 PM
Just as I thought. He didn't say that he had never seen a second half collapse before.

What in blue blazes do you think he's talking about then, if not a 2nd half collapse? What else could THE TWO WEEKS WE HAD THERE IN ATLANTA AND BALTIMORE mean?

34-0 and 33-13, respectively.

I can list no-shows in previous seasons if you have amnesia.

TCHOF
01-26-2013, 09:02 AM
What in blue blazes do you think he's talking about then, if not a 2nd half collapse? What else could THE TWO WEEKS WE HAD THERE IN ATLANTA AND BALTIMORE mean?

34-0 and 33-13, respectively.

I can list no-shows in previous seasons if you have amnesia.

I don't have amnesia, I am just able to read simple English.

He said that he didn't expect the two weeks that we had in Atlanta and Baltimore. That's what he said. He did not say that "I have never seen a second half collapse before". That is just your interpretation of what he meant, which I disagree with.

IMO, he meant that he didn't expect us to get our doors blown off so badly by Atlanta and Baltimore. I think that every one on this MB could say the same thing, even though we have all seen second half collapses by this team before.

SweetZombieJesus
01-26-2013, 10:06 AM
I don't have amnesia, I am just able to read simple English.

He said that he didn't expect the two weeks that we had in Atlanta and Baltimore. That's what he said. He did not say that "I have never seen a second half collapse before". That is just your interpretation of what he meant, which I disagree with.

Yet we have seen those two weeks we had in Atlanta and Baltimore, many many times. During all the notable 2nd half collapses in the past.

Ad we HAVE gotten our doors blown off badly with a playoff spot on the line. The poster child would be the 2010 meltdown and terrible no show in green bay the next week. Another gem is the last ever game at Giants Stadium in 2009, 41-9.

I can go on, there are about 10-15 of these blowouts in critical spots I can cite.

Which is why John Mara's statement makes absolutely no sense. We've seen "those two weeks" over and over.

TCHOF
01-26-2013, 01:43 PM
Yet we have seen those two weeks we had in Atlanta and Baltimore, many many times. During all the notable 2nd half collapses in the past.

Ad we HAVE gotten our doors blown off badly with a playoff spot on the line. The poster child would be the 2010 meltdown and terrible no show in green bay the next week. Another gem is the last ever game at Giants Stadium in 2009, 41-9.

I can go on, there are about 10-15 of these blowouts in critical spots I can cite.

Which is why John Mara's statement makes absolutely no sense. We've seen "those two weeks" over and over.

Did you expect the outcomes in the Atlanta and Baltimore games, even given our history of late season swoons?

bearbryant
01-26-2013, 09:29 PM
What he MEANT to say was: We're happy with a 9-7 to a 8-8 team that gives us a Lombardi trophy once in a while!

uther99
01-27-2013, 12:29 AM

Sad to say I agree with

bigblue58
01-27-2013, 03:02 PM
http://espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/story/_/id/8877410/john-mara-disappointed-new-york-giants-reach-playoffs

Excerpt: "New York Giants' owner John Mara, in his first public comments following the 2012 season, said he's "very disappointed" that his team did not reach the playoffs.

However, Mara doesn't think wholesale changes are needed and believes his team's title window is very much open as long as Eli Manning (http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/_/id/5526/eli-manning) is the quarterback.

"Obviously, we were very disappointed not being in the postseason," Mara said Thursday following a Super Bowl XLVIII news conference at City Hall. "I haven't quite gotten over that yet, particularly the back-to-back games in Atlanta and Baltimore.

"But sometimes you go through things like that and it just strengthens our resolve to put a better team on the field. We've got some areas we need to improve on, and we're gonna do that.

"The Giants won the Super Bowl last season and looked like they'd have a chance to repeat this year after getting off to a 6-2 start. But they lost five of their last eight games -- including two of their last three -- to leave themselves in a position in which they had to win and get help from several teams to make the playoff cut. In Weeks 15 and 16, the Falcons and Ravens outscored the Giants by a combined 67-14 margin.

"I've been around this team a long time, and I thought I'd seen everything," Mara said. "But I certainly didn't expect the two weeks we had there in Atlanta and Baltimore. At least we finished the season on a decent note (a 42-7 victory over Philadelphia, which went for naught when Chicago's win over Detroit ended the Giants' season)." Read more...

They'll improve...really? How exactly when they try to fix problems through the draft while other teams leave them in the dust by signing FA's?
Think about it.......when the Giants won SB25, it was their 2nd SB in 5 years......then there was a 10 year gap til they reached the SB again.....got killed in that one.........another 7 year gap until SB 42.................another 4 year gap til they won SB 46.........which, again, was their 2nd SB in 5 years!
The fact is, for a team that tries to get better through the draft, the Giants haven't been as successful as other teams who always seem to have a better percentage of draft picks who flourish and contribute right away, than the Giants.
Say what you want about Jerry Jones....the guy always seems to make 2 or 3 picks every year who come in their first year and tear it up, and making the Cowgirls always dangerous every year!
Face it...we hate playing the Cowgirls because they are always consistently good in the regular season EVERY YEAR!
We could be in for another 7 or 8 year gap which sadly is how the Giants have trended in the last 2 decades.

thomasjmarino
01-27-2013, 05:48 PM
What he MEANT to say was: We're happy with a 9-7 to a 8-8 team that gives us a Lombardi trophy once in a while!

Pretty much the truth when you have a HC that comes out and says that there will be no changes with his coaching staff. Except, of course, when other teams take our people and we, as always, let them walk out the door.
BTW, is TC still walking around in circles trying to figure out what went wrong?
JW

thomasjmarino
01-27-2013, 05:52 PM
They'll improve...really? How exactly when they try to fix problems through the draft while other teams leave them in the dust by signing FA's?
Think about it.......when the Giants won SB25, it was their 2nd SB in 5 years......then there was a 10 year gap til they reached the SB again.....got killed in that one.........another 7 year gap until SB 42.................another 4 year gap til they won SB 46.........which, again, was their 2nd SB in 5 years!
The fact is, for a team that tries to get better through the draft, the Giants haven't been as successful as other teams who always seem to have a better percentage of draft picks who flourish and contribute right away, than the Giants.
Say what you want about Jerry Jones....the guy always seems to make 2 or 3 picks every year who come in their first year and tear it up, and making the Cowgirls always dangerous every year!
Face it...we hate playing the Cowgirls because they are always consistently good in the regular season EVERY YEAR!
We could be in for another 7 or 8 year gap which sadly is how the Giants have trended in the last 2 decades.

Hey, what are you complaining about?
The stadium is full every week, isn't it?
Talk is cheap!
I'm tired of hearing that BS.
I want this team to kick *** every year, not periodically!!!

thomasjmarino
01-27-2013, 05:55 PM

Show up at presser
Make statement
Disappear

thomasjmarino
01-27-2013, 05:57 PM
Well I hope that both players and coaches realize 9-7 will NOT cut it.
Also, the whole "We know how to turn it on" needs to be ON always.

I knew we were in trouble when our quarterback came out and said "We're the New York Giants".
Yep.

thomasjmarino
01-27-2013, 05:58 PM

Get back to me when you stop waiting............

thomasjmarino
01-27-2013, 06:01 PM

Couldn't have said it any better.
Send this to Mr. Mara.

joemorrisforprez
01-27-2013, 06:14 PM

Exactly.

The differences between 2011 and 2012....

DIVISION:

In 2011, the Eagles, Cowboys, and Redskins were all one step behind the Giants. In 2012, the Redskins took a step up. Next year, I expect the division to be even tougher.

DEFENSE:

In 2011, Justin Tuck, Osi, and a couple other guys snapped out of their funk and powered the defense to a great run. In 2012, the switch was never flipped, in part because I think they figured they had the magic recipe memorized, and to a larger degree, I think they were just not hungry. In 2013 there's no telling what to expect from Tuck....Osi is most likely gone, and JPP is going to once again attract a crowd. Marvin Austin needs to either earn his roster spot or get his *** cut next offseason. The free lunch is over for that dude.

In 2013, if Reese ignores the linebacker position again, I expect the same soft-shell crab defense. And Fewell needs to study some old Belichick game tapes and discover what an aggressive, attacking defense is all about.

OFFENSE:

In 2011, Eli had a career season. For a very long stretch of the season, he and JPP were the only guys keeping the team in games. In 2012, he had statistically a good year, but not good enough to cover for all the no-shows on defense. It also wasn't good enough to bail out an offensive coordinator whose system relies on Eli Manning being Drew Brees every game. It didn't help that Gilbride also thinks of running backs as offensive linemen. Unfortunately, I don't expect that to change. So, for next season, I hope Eli Manning once again has a season like 2011 - basically, a season that no knowledgeable football fan should expect a QB to be able to produce every year.

Mara might not think much needs to change, but if Gilbride, Fewell, and Reese don't wake up, the Giants will be lucky to go 8-8 next year.