PDA

View Full Version : NY Giants Keep Or Dump: David Diehl

RoanokeFan
01-24-2013, 05:10 PM
http://www.giants101.com/2013/01/24/new-york-giants-keep-or-dump-david-diehl/

Excerpt: "The New York Giants (http://www.giants101.com/tag/new-york-giants/) fell incredibly short of their lofty expectations for their 2012 campaign. Although many pundits believed Big Blue had enough to repeat as Super Bowl champions, this team has been sitting at home for nearly a month watching the playoffs unfold. For many fans, the offensive line was a major reason behind the Giants failures. Namely, David Diehl took a lot of the blame upon his shoulders. However, the statistics say the Giants had one of the best offensive lines in the NFL (http://www.giants101.com/tag/nfl/) in 2012.

The Giants gave up an average of 1.2 sacks per game last season, which was the best mark in the league. Eli Manning was sacked on just 3.58 percent of his drop backs, also good for best in the NFL (http://www.giants101.com/tag/nfl/). The rushing attack improved from last in the NFL (http://www.giants101.com/tag/nfl/) in 2011 to 14th in 2012. Although this unit fails the proverbial eye test, the statistics say that Big Blue's offensive line improved drastically this season. However, that doesn't mean we won't see changes in 2013.

David Diehl is going to turn 33 years old next season. He's a former All-Pro and a two-time Super Bowl champion that has been a cornerstone on the Giants offensive line for the better part of the last decade. However, it became clear over the last several games of last season that Diehl is no longer a starting offensive tackle in the NFL (http://www.giants101.com/tag/nfl/). Given his drastic decline, it stands to reason that the Giants should cut him loose this offseason and fine a cheaper replacement. However, it does not appear that Diehl is going anywhere this offseason.

Diehl is on the books for $7.45 million in 2013. At this point in his career, he would be able to sign for the veteran minimum on the open market, at best. If the Giants were to move on from him, most other teams would see that as a red flag. For the sake of the younger offensive linemen on the roster, it makes perfect sense to move on from Diehl. However, even if the Giants cut him, he would still count $3 million against the salary cap for next season. That's a lot of money to allocate to a person not on the roster." Read more...

giantsfan420
01-24-2013, 05:11 PM
i dnt expect this to be kind lol...

giantsfan420
01-24-2013, 05:13 PM
altho, in all honesty, he's probably as good as depth as you're gonna get. thing is, he's overpaid way too much. I'd actually say keep, if he takes a pay cut. not a restructure, but pay cut

Rudyy
01-24-2013, 05:16 PM
Paycut and backup.

Toadofsteel
01-24-2013, 05:24 PM
Cut him and then offer a vet min contract. It's still gonna be upwards of 900k/year given how long he's been in the league, plus the 3 mill he's guaranteed, but that would still save us at least 3.5 mill overall. If he doesn't take it, then we have 4 mill we can use to draft a solid young tackle.

Buddy333
01-24-2013, 05:32 PM
Time to move on. Yes $3 million is a lot to pay but they would save a lot too.

myles2424
01-24-2013, 05:41 PM
Cut him and then offer a vet min contract. It's still gonna be upwards of 900k/year given how long he's been in the league, plus the 3 mill he's guaranteed, but that would still save us at least 3.5 mill overall. If he doesn't take it, then we have 4 mill we can use to draft a solid young tackle.
4mill helps....Itd be a shame to still pay Diehl big $$ for what he offers...

JesseJames
01-24-2013, 05:53 PM
altho, in all honesty, he's probably as good as depth as you're gonna get. thing is, he's overpaid way too much. I'd actually say keep, if he takes a pay cut. not a restructure, but pay cut agreed, if Diehl takes a considerable pay cut then he would be fine to keep as an experienced backup...but we absolutely have to get younger and more talented on the O line...

Cloud57
01-24-2013, 05:55 PM
Dump him now, he can be replaced through the draft

Ruttiger711
01-24-2013, 05:58 PM
ugh - if hes a backup we could very well see him in the lineup again. Maybe worth to eat the 3 mil to get the young blood in there as the backup and number 3.

JesseJames
01-24-2013, 06:01 PM
ugh - if hes a backup we could very well see him in the lineup again. Maybe worth to eat the 3 mil to get the young blood in there as the backup and number 3. that may happen but its really hard to eat the 3 million dollar hit and get nothing for it

Ruttiger711
01-24-2013, 06:08 PM
that may happen but its really hard to eat the 3 million dollar hit and get nothing for it

Yeah... and I'm all for depth, but I dont want my focus next season on every offensive play to be on the RT praying to god he doesnt go down :).

RoanokeFan
01-24-2013, 06:31 PM
Dump him now, he can be replaced through the draft

You are still going to have a 3M CAP hit. Better to try a pay cut approach first.

jomo
01-24-2013, 06:33 PM
altho, in all honesty, he's probably as good as depth as you're gonna get. thing is, he's overpaid way too much. I'd actually say keep, if he takes a pay cut. not a restructure, but pay cutAgreed but it needs to be a BIG paycut and he can't be viewed as a starter in any way. We need a major reload along the OL starting with LT.

giantsfan420
01-24-2013, 07:18 PM
ugh - if hes a backup we could very well see him in the lineup again. Maybe worth to eat the 3 mil to get the young blood in there as the backup and number 3.i mean that sounds all well and good (getting young players as depth as well), but lets say we're in a must win game, and the RT goes down. Would you have been cool with Brewer over DD last yr? Sometimes experience is worth its weight in gold...

Drez
01-24-2013, 07:27 PM
Agreed but it needs to be a BIG paycut and he can't be viewed as a starter in any way. We need a major reload along the OL starting with LT.Do you mean RT, or do you think Beatty is that weak of a link?

Drez
01-24-2013, 07:28 PM
i mean that sounds all well and good (getting young players as depth as well), but lets say we're in a must win game, and the RT goes down. Would you have been cool with Brewer over DD last yr? Sometimes experience is worth its weight in gold...
Brewer very well may be our starting RT next season.

B-Red22
This is the easiest dumb or keep question ever, used to love DD but his time is up and he needs to.go

jomo
Do you mean RT, or do you think Beatty is that weak of a link?Whoops, I did mean RT.

Imgrate
01-24-2013, 08:06 PM
Shouldve cut him last year.

Drez
01-24-2013, 08:09 PM
Whoops, I did mean RT.
Phew! I was like, "Jomo is usually pretty reasonable and Beatty isn't a bad player..." lol

Antwuan
01-24-2013, 08:33 PM
Dump!

Ruttiger711
01-24-2013, 08:48 PM
i mean that sounds all well and good (getting young players as depth as well), but lets say we're in a must win game, and the RT goes down. Would you have been cool with Brewer over DD last yr? Sometimes experience is worth its weight in gold...Maybe - I can't recall anything about Brewer, but experience alone is no reason to keep DD. If he can't do it, he can't do it.

BigBlue wins
01-24-2013, 11:14 PM
I understand we are going through all the players, but this shouldn't really be in question should it? I mean, Diehl is done. He really is nearing the end of his career if not already retiring.

jintsfan666
01-25-2013, 11:28 AM
I'd dump him at any cost just to make sure he never sees the field while Eli is on it. I cringe every time I see him pushing a pass rusher into Eli's face.

JesseJames
01-25-2013, 11:47 AM
Brewer very well may be our starting RT next season. I don't understand how Brewer can be considered a starting RT for next year, based on what? I'd like to see him out there but I haven't seen anything from him to indicate that he's ready....

Diamondring
01-25-2013, 12:03 PM
If the Giants had one of the best O-lines in 012, then my prediction was on point when it came to the O-line. Yet there can still be improvements.

drewz
01-25-2013, 01:20 PM
David Diehl shouldn't be on the roster next year because Tom Coughlin will find some excuse to put him in the starting lineup. So what if James Brewer comes in and doesn't go a good job? Let him ****ing learn! Look at Bobbie Massie in Arizona, at the start of the season he was one of the worst RTs in football, by mid season he started improving.

Cloud57
01-25-2013, 02:10 PM
I don't understand how Brewer can be considered a starting RT for next year, based on what? I'd like to see him out there but I haven't seen anything from him to indicate that he's ready....you're not the coach

Cloud57
01-25-2013, 02:11 PM
David Diehl shouldn't be on the roster next year because Tom Coughlin will find some excuse to put him in the starting lineup. So what if James Brewer comes in and doesn't go a good job? Let him ****ing learn! Look at Bobbie Massie in Arizona, at the start of the season he was one of the worst RTs in football, by mid season he started improving.you're right, I wouldn't be surprise if Couglin has a tattoo of diehl lol

Flip Empty
01-25-2013, 02:20 PM
If the Giants had one of the best O-lines in 012, then my prediction was on point when it came to the O-line. Yet there can still be improvements.
They didn't have one of the best o-lines, though. If you're going by sacks conceded, that's mostly on Eli's ability to unload the ball quickly.