PDA

View Full Version : How many sacks did our linebackers have the past 5 yrs????

giantsacks
01-24-2013, 11:52 PM
Why in gods name does Reese not address that position he can't have a hard on for dline that bad we always get fill ins or try to convert someone giants defense was always known for linebacker play when I was growing up. Ap wasn't great but we have not replaced him yet let alone had anyone that even made a difference at that position . My question is why does he not see that??? Thoughts giants nation

Flip Empty
01-25-2013, 12:02 AM
Since when were sacks indicative of a linebacker's quality?

GTGiantsFan
01-25-2013, 12:03 AM
Or maybe tackles and tackles for less, still we haven't had a decent linebacker since Pierce started declining and eventually retired.

Roosevelt
01-25-2013, 12:10 AM
Chase was better than AP.

GTGiantsFan
01-25-2013, 12:29 AM
No he wasn't.

Rat_bastich
01-25-2013, 06:30 AM
While I will agree the Giants' linebackers have been mediocre at best, being that we run a 4-3 defense the linebackers are not in there for sacks. That is just a bonus. The true stats to look at for 4-3 backers would be to look at, as GT said, tackles and the opposing offenses' yards per carry and what the tight ends were able to do. Their job in a 4-3 is to contain and to fill in space between the line and the safeties or to take advantage of holes that the d-line opens up.

The defensive ends of a 4-3 are the equivalent of the 3-4 outside linebacker more or less.

And, while I think the linebacker situation will be somewhat addressed in the draft, I think we'll probably see a project drafted and be spending our top pick on a pass rushing defensive end. Our bread and butter was weak this last year and needs to be solidified.

Toadofsteel
01-25-2013, 08:57 AM
While I will agree the Giants' linebackers have been mediocre at best, being that we run a 4-3 defense the linebackers are not in there for sacks. That is just a bonus. The true stats to look at for 4-3 backers would be to look at, as GT said, tackles and the opposing offenses' yards per carry and what the tight ends were able to do. Their job in a 4-3 is to contain and to fill in space between the line and the safeties or to take advantage of holes that the d-line opens up.

The defensive ends of a 4-3 are the equivalent of the 3-4 outside linebacker more or less.

And, while I think the linebacker situation will be somewhat addressed in the draft, I think we'll probably see a project drafted and be spending our top pick on a pass rushing defensive end. Our bread and butter was weak this last year and needs to be solidified.

This. If LT were in our system today he'd be a defensive end...

nhpgiantsfan
01-25-2013, 10:37 AM

Take it easy with that. AP got slow towards the end, but he was a far better player than Chase will ever be. And he was a real good defensive QB.

Buddy333
01-25-2013, 10:42 AM
You mean the past 5 season where they won 2 Super Bowls?

TCHOF
01-25-2013, 10:45 AM
Why in gods name does Reese not address that position he can't have a hard on for dline that bad we always get fill ins or try to convert someone giants defense was always known for linebacker play when I was growing up. Ap wasn't great but we have not replaced him yet let alone had anyone that even made a difference at that position . My question is why does he not see that??? Thoughts giants nation

We play a 4-3 defense.

jomo
01-25-2013, 10:45 AM
Chase was better than AP.That we can even have that discussion proves the point of this thread. Our linebackers have been weak for too long, even though sacks is not the right measuring stick.

embeshAtYa
01-25-2013, 11:31 AM
we get these guys that come in here n show athletic ability. speed. smarts. upside. then the whistle blows and the guys hamstring falls out, his ankle snaps in half, and then his acl tears off. so reese has to call chase n tell him to put the hedge trimmers down cause he is starting sunday.

Drez
01-25-2013, 11:36 AM
Well, when you were growing up we ran a 34 which is a LB driven defense. Our defense now is DL driven. How many teams around the league would kill to have our DL personnel, even with them underperforming this season?

Sure, we need to improve our LB corps, but you're comparing apples to oranges when you look back to the Parcells era LBs.

Drez
01-25-2013, 11:36 AM
Chase was better than AP.Gumby, I think you're posting on the wrong SN, lol.

primetime
01-25-2013, 11:38 AM
The better question should be how many missed tackles has our linebackers had the last 5 years?

Mlerman17
01-25-2013, 11:52 PM

No way...
Ap>chase
boley>chase
jaquain>chase
goff>chase

Chase is not good. He was our biggest liability during the sb run and this past year.

TextureDj
01-25-2013, 11:59 PM
we get these guys that come in here n show athletic ability. speed. smarts. upside. then the whistle blows and the guys hamstring falls out, his ankle snaps in half, and then his acl tears off. so reese has to call chase n tell him to put the hedge trimmers down cause he is starting sunday.

Been sitting here for five minutes now trying to think of a reason that this is the worst post ever and you are the dumbest poster for making such a reactionary knee jerk assessment.

I got nothin. I still dont like the post, in fact I like it less but I am afraid it is pretty accurate.

Captain Chaos
01-26-2013, 08:34 AM
The "G'men's LB corps needs revamping" story is old...SO STOP BEATING A DEAD HORSE!

embeshAtYa
01-26-2013, 03:58 PM
Been sitting here for five minutes now trying to think of a reason that this is the worst post ever and you are the dumbest poster for making such a reactionary knee jerk assessment.

I got nothin. I still dont like the post, in fact I like it less but I am afraid it is pretty accurate.

For me at the time, it was just my way to explain a frustrating situation. Im sorry that it took time out of your life to reason with. It sure wasnt my intention to be appointed as making the worst or dumber post ever. Thanks