PDA

View Full Version : Mara Won't Rule Out Osi Umenyiora's Return To Giants

RoanokeFan
01-25-2013, 03:02 PM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000130930/article/mara-wont-rule-out-osi-umenyioras-return-to-giants

Excerpt: "Has Osi Umenyiora played his final game as a member of the New York Giants? Team co-owner John Mara isn't willing to say so. At least publicly.

"I don't know about that," Mara said, according to (http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/giants/post/_/id/22140/mara-on-osi-love-to-have-him-back) ESPNNewYork.com. "We'll see what happens. I would love to have him back. He's been a great player for us. He's a great guy. He's been a huge part of our two Super Bowl (http://www.nfl.com/superbowl/47) wins, but there are economic considerations and we'll just have to see what happens."

After the Giants (http://www.nfl.com/teams/newyorkgiants/profile?team=NYG)' season ended, Umenyiora told a New York radio station (http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000120842/article/osi-umenyiora-ready-for-postnew-york-giants-life) he believed it was "time to move on.""I've earned the right to be a free agent," Umenyiora said. "It's been 10 years. I signed a seven-year deal, and they made me play out all seven of those years. If they wanted me back, I think something would have been done before now." Read more...

GameTime
01-25-2013, 04:04 PM
Comer on John....no need to be that PC......
Thats now 6 and 2 season ago........time to move on.....thanks Osi....good luck

Rudyy
01-25-2013, 04:06 PM
no0o

hungrrrry
01-25-2013, 04:40 PM
i believe Osi would have a better season in 2013 on this squad, if he were to re-sign, than Tuck will. I don't have faith in Tuck!

Cloud57
01-25-2013, 04:43 PM
There are many good DEs in this year's draft, If Osi returns would we still draft a DE?

kingblue92
01-25-2013, 06:04 PM
Too many so called fans Hating on Osi.. He only came off the bench and had just as many sacks as JPP.. We need the depth if he comes at a good price.

NYG4lifeNYK
01-25-2013, 06:28 PM
I told you, Jerry Reese and this organiation LOVE Osi.

I hope he's back at the right price. He's a phenomenal player. Osi, JPP and a motivated Tuck with some improved DT play. We can do some things...

fletch842
01-25-2013, 06:30 PM
If he's willing to come back on a back-up level contract, he'll be a great signing. If he is still demanding top 10 DE $$, he should walk.

rainierjef
01-25-2013, 06:38 PM
There are many good DEs in this year's draft, If Osi returns would we still draft a DE?
Sigh* " I forsee 10 pages of anger/hate in this thread." Guess I will try for the last time ey?
To answer your Question Yes they would.
The question falls this way Do you sign a player (Osi) to his final contract whose injuries have limited him less than sign a player a year later who's injuries have dramatically affected his play and drive? (Tuck)

If anyone on here is Okay with tuck going forward as the leader of that unit to coach up the younger guys then I want to know what your smoking, so I can try it in 17 years.

If we are to retain one of them I would rather Osi than tuck cause Tuck started all season and did nothing Osi rotated in on certain down and distances and still did better. I understand whoever you are are going to rebuttal with "Osi can't play the run rah! rah!" which is fine cause if we had an instinctual Sam or a faster Mike the runs to Osi side would be picked up. {See. carolina Linebacking unit attack the outside runs, Keuchly especially.}

ELI_HOF_NYG
01-25-2013, 06:47 PM
Sigh* " I forsee 10 pages of anger/hate in this thread." Guess I will try for the last time ey?
To answer your Question Yes they would.
The question falls this way Do you sign a player (Osi) to his final contract whose injuries have limited him less than sign a player a year later who's injuries have dramatically affected his play and drive? (Tuck)

If anyone on here is Okay with tuck going forward as the leader of that unit to coach up the younger guys then I want to know what your smoking, so I can try it in 17 years.

If we are to retain one of them I would rather Osi than tuck cause Tuck started all season and did nothing Osi rotated in on certain down and distances and still did better. I understand whoever you are are going to rebuttal with "Osi can't play the run rah! rah!" which is fine cause if we had an instinctual Sam or a faster Mike the runs to Osi side would be picked up. {See. carolina Linebacking unit attack the outside runs, Keuchly especially.}

time to part ways with tuck and osi if we could, but we cant., this guy will not sign cheap.

KidA
01-25-2013, 07:12 PM
I think the writing is on the wall as far as Osi goes. Still, I'm glad that John Mara left the door open as you never know what could happen.

I'll tell you one thing, I sure am glad we picked up JPP two years ago. Without him the future of our defense would be noticeably bleaker.

rainierjef
01-25-2013, 07:39 PM
I think the writing is on the wall as far as Osi goes. Still, I'm glad that John Mara left the door open as you never know what could happen.

Osi could surprise everyone an take a very organization friendly discounted long term contract. He has said before he wants to retire here but its a business and it takes two to come to terms. If reese is low balling then of course he walks but If it reasonable I think he would be inclined to stay.
Im still trying to find the article where osi stated "He is looking for Top 5 DE money."

FBomb
01-25-2013, 08:23 PM
Yes....lets all ignore the fact that A: Osi DIDN'T "play out the 7 year contract" without getting a bump last season and B: Osi doesn't WANT to be a Giant anymore....ie.."I think I've earned the right to be a free agent....."

Osi's time as a Giant is over....time to move on. Players come and go,,,even the good ones. Tuck should go as well.

You people obsessed with the "hater" talk need to grow up.

rainierjef
01-25-2013, 08:58 PM
Lets ignore the fact that Osi said he wants to retire a giant.
Lets also Ignore the fact that Reese was also unfair in the way he handled that situation

Great players help this team win games, which gets them to the playoffs and hopefully the super bowl. common sense dictates you keep the players that can help you win and to the people that are hating on a player because of what he has said off the field or against the GM and ignore the body of work plus what that player can still bring to the table, need to grow up as well.

nhpgiantsfan
01-25-2013, 09:02 PM
Yes....lets all ignore the fact that A: Osi DIDN'T "play out the 7 year contract" without getting a bump last season and B: Osi doesn't WANT to be a Giant anymore....ie.."I think I've earned the right to be a free agent....."

Osi's time as a Giant is over....time to move on. Players come and go,,,even the good ones. Tuck should go as well.

You people obsessed with the "hater" talk need to grow up.

You can't dispute the fact that he has earned the right to be a free agent. And his statements about it being time to move on, probably have a lot to do with the fact that he knows the Giants probably won't spend the money that he is looking for. But there is not a doubt in my mind that if the Giants made a competetive offer, that this is where he would want to be.

But with that being said, I am a huge Osi fan, but just don't see how we can go into next year with the same DE's as this year and expect a better performance. I don't buy Tuck's "motivation" comments for one second. And if they were both free agents I would want Osi over Tuck all day. But since Tuck isn't going anywhere, I think sadly we need to part ways with Osi, and see who can step up, either currently on the roster or through the draft.

FBomb
01-25-2013, 09:18 PM
Lets ignore the fact that Osi said he wants to retire a giant.
Lets also Ignore the fact that Reese was also unfair in the way he handled that situation

Great players help this team win games, which gets them to the playoffs and hopefully the super bowl. common sense dictates you keep the players that can help you win and to the people that are hating on a player because of what he has said off the field or against the GM and ignore the body of work plus what that player can still bring to the table, need to grow up as well.

You have a little "osi" on your chin. It has nothing to do with osi acting like a diva...this is why you need to grow up.

Both Osi and Tuck have played past their prime, are on the downside of their careers and it's time to move on. Webster was good once too. Players get old. This defense scares no one. Time to fix it and stop trying to relive what once was.

FBomb
01-25-2013, 09:21 PM
You can't dispute the fact that he has earned the right to be a free agent. And his statements about it being time to move on, probably have a lot to do with the fact that he knows the Giants probably won't spend the money that he is looking for. But there is not a doubt in my mind that if the Giants made a competetive offer, that this is where he would want to be.

But with that being said, I am a huge Osi fan, but just don't see how we can go into next year with the same DE's as this year and expect a better performance. I don't buy Tuck's "motivation" comments for one second. And if they were both free agents I would want Osi over Tuck all day. But since Tuck isn't going anywhere, I think sadly we need to part ways with Osi, and see who can step up, either currently on the roster or through the draft.

He HAS earned it and I'm more than ready for him to go cash in....somewhere else. Reese will not over pay for him.

uther99
01-25-2013, 10:04 PM
It's a what have you done for me lately business, and lately Osi has been in decline. Osi thinks he is worth a fortune, he is mistaken

Buddy333
01-25-2013, 10:16 PM
Just PC talk. He's gone.

Marvelousmik
01-25-2013, 10:18 PM
I wont lie. i'd be pretty disappointed if Osi came back, and its not because i dont like him. I just think its time to move on.

rainierjef
01-25-2013, 10:31 PM
You have a little "osi" on your chin. It has nothing to do with osi acting like a diva...this is why you need to grow up.

Both Osi and Tuck have played past their prime, are on the downside of their careers and it's time to move on. Webster was good once too. Players get old. This defense scares no one. Time to fix it and stop trying to relive what once was.

I'll take that, you can go hide your stained reese photo's while you're at it and don't forget to put your the lotion back on the counter.
Tell others to grow up based on opinion of a player or any player shows your maturity level, kind of like the pot calling the kettle black don't you think?

Osi still has some left in the tank, think back to the year sheridan was here how horrid osi's number was which matched his non starting limited involvement in the grand scheme of that defense, then the next year he had a great season, same situation. The whole defense sucked creating a domino effect thart even hampered JPP's production, a retooled scheme and a long term contract can change a lot as we have seen going from a Sheridan defense to a Fewell.

If you can't provide a solid debate outside of the childish grow up antics, go back to what you were doing before we interrupted you

BigBlueAllDay
01-26-2013, 12:48 AM
It takes two to make a compromise. I'm not so sure Osi himself wants to continue to play for the Giants without being paid the premium at DE.

Diamondring
01-26-2013, 02:58 AM
I'll take that, you can go hide your stained reese photo's while you're at it and don't forget to put your the lotion back on the counter.
Tell others to grow up based on opinion of a player or any player shows your maturity level, kind of like the pot calling the kettle black don't you think?

Osi still has some left in the tank, think back to the year sheridan was here how horrid osi's number was which matched his non starting limited involvement in the grand scheme of that defense, then the next year he had a great season, same situation. The whole defense sucked creating a domino effect thart even hampered JPP's production, a retooled scheme and a long term contract can change a lot as we have seen going from a Sheridan defense to a Fewell.

If you can't provide a solid debate outside of the childish grow up antics, go back to what you were doing before we interrupted youOsi is done and is overrated. I don't care what people said about Spags cause of his performance with other teams, cause when he was with the Giants, Osi had a lot of one on ones. Now he hardly win those and is no longer worth a lot of money wich he wants. You have said that Osi still has some left in the tank. That is some left in the tank and not a lot or even enough for him to get a lot of money wich he wants.

I always liked Osi but at the same time, I know he is overrated. The DE who should have got a lot of money was the one who retired after the 07 Season Strahan. That man beat double and even some tripple teaming along with holding and still got a lot of sacks while players on the D-line were average. Osi suppose to be good enough to be a menance cause JPP was on the other side and I bet he got doubled so why Osi had a hard time? Well he needs a good scheme to help him to come free at the qb a lot of times like in the past. When he has too many hands on him, he is not effective and is on the decline. He had too many injuries in the past to,. He is done and it is time for him to go to another team.

Rat_bastich
01-26-2013, 04:00 AM
Osi is definitely in decline as far as ability goes. The question that would have to be answered most likely would be is he willing to take a more diminished role in the defense, which would most likely mean a contract number that Osi would probably not want. Of course, thats between Osi, his agent, Mara and Reese.

Alot of players say they want to retire as part of the team they are currently on. It's mostly a PR thing, so that bridges are not burned.

If he stays I am fine, if he goes I am fine. The guy is good in spurts, but I think it is time for some new blood. Find younger horses to replenish the stable and put the older ones to pasture. Cycle them out.

I enjoy speculating and prognosticating with everyone else, but in the end I don't really care as long as the team is competitive and gets a trophy as often as they can.

rainierjef
01-26-2013, 06:17 AM
Osi is done and is overrated. I don't care what people said about Spags cause of his performance with other teams, cause when he was with the Giants, Osi had a lot of one on ones. Now he hardly win those and is no longer worth a lot of money wich he wants. You have said that Osi still has some left in the tank. That is some left in the tank and not a lot or even enough for him to get a lot of money wich he wants.

I always liked Osi but at the same time, I know he is overrated. The DE who should have got a lot of money was the one who retired after the 07 Season Strahan. That man beat double and even some tripple teaming along with holding and still got a lot of sacks while players on the D-line were average. Osi suppose to be good enough to be a menance cause JPP was on the other side and I bet he got doubled so why Osi had a hard time? Well he needs a good scheme to help him to come free at the qb a lot of times like in the past. When he has too many hands on him, he is not effective and is on the decline. He had too many injuries in the past to,. He is done and it is time for him to go to another team.

1. Osi is not a LDE he is a RDE always has been its a different type of issue going from facing the LT to the RT. you are not always going to get the same production, JPP plays better on the RDE than the LDE so i don't know how this statement "Osi suppose to be good enough to be a menance cause JPP was on the other side and I bet he got doubled so why Osi had a hard time?" is even relevant.

2."Now he hardly win those and is no longer worth a lot of money wich he wants." "even enough for him to get a lot of money wich he wants," do you have a link to the statments Osi made where he states he wants a certain amount of money and before you go off and get me the affidavit stuff thats what reese told Osi not Osi asking for that. So please cause i have been looking, provide me the article where Osi himself said he wants this specific amount of money. thanks

3. "Well he needs a good scheme to help him to come free at the qb a lot of times like in the past." Sad thing Is same fans like you and others on here wanted Osi and Tuck gone in 2009 when we had sheridan then in 2010 when Osi had 10 FF's you all were lining up with puckered lips. Give him more time to get going instead of one play then come out he can produce, give him DT's that can push the line back essentially pushing the QB deeper into the pocket, Linebackers and DL stop the damn run so we make the offense one dimensional and watch Old Osi Tee off. Frankly its annoying listening to you people tear down players that give their bodies for our enjoyment, You people want to just blame one person, point fingers, Its no different from fire Coughlin, fire gilbride, fire fewell, fire mara.

Cool i'm done on the subject the only reason I want Osi to go now is so that I can stop reading/hearing all your whining about it, so that I don't feel compelled to defend a player, I am not getting paid for this screw it.

rainierjef
01-26-2013, 06:22 AM
Osi is definitely in decline as far as ability goes. The question that would have to be answered most likely would be is he willing to take a more diminished role in the defense, which would most likely mean a contract number that Osi would probably not want. Of course, thats between Osi, his agent, Mara and Reese.

Alot of players say they want to retire as part of the team they are currently on. It's mostly a PR thing, so that bridges are not burned.

If he stays I am fine, if he goes I am fine. The guy is good in spurts, but I think it is time for some new blood. Find younger horses to replenish the stable and put the older ones to pasture. Cycle them out.

I enjoy speculating and prognosticating with everyone else, but in the end I don't really care as long as the team is competitive and gets a trophy as often as they can.

I can definitely resonate with this type of thinking, I can see why people would feel osi has declined and I am by no means saying Osi today is 2007/2010 Osi, but I see past just the players latent ability and look at the personnel around him. Is the DT's getting pressure? is the Line backers plugging the gaps? are the Corners containing enough for coverage sacks? are the safeties keeping everything in front of them? Is the scheme right? Before I say definitely hey this guy is a major problem. Football is not won and lost by one person its a team effort and the whole defense regressed last season . I just don't see why people don't see the similarity from 2009 to now.

Marvelousmik
01-26-2013, 06:41 AM
I can definitely resonate with this type of thinking, I can see why people would feel osi has declined and I am by no means saying Osi today is 2007/2010 Osi, but I see past just the players latent ability and look at the personnel around him. Is the DT's getting pressure? is the Line backers plugging the gaps? are the Corners containing enough for coverage sacks? are the safeties keeping everything in front of them? Is the scheme right? Before I say definitely hey this guy is a major problem. Football is not won and lost by one person its a team effort and the whole defense regressed last season . I just don't see why people don't see the similarity from 2009 to now.

Osi and tuck played really bad this year. And that goes beyond sacks. Against the run Osi didnt do a good job containing the outside, especially against Mccoy and RG3. I watched guys run around him all season because of him talking undisciplined angles. It takes a lot for me to want to get rid of someone. Im not the "fire this guy", "new coach now!", "1 person cost us the game type of person". and if you pay attention to any of my posts or threads you would see that.

That being said this was probably osi's worst year as a Starter. also, i dont think the scheme should play a huge role in rushing the passer from the DE position. DE is probably the easiest position to play (reponsibility wise). It is pretty straight forward. Osi has Good excelleration but thats about it really. it is possible that Osi might bounce back next season but dont like the idea of him taking so many snaps way from JPP. I think its time to move on. I have nothing against the guy though. Jpp didnt play so good either.

rainierjef
01-26-2013, 07:06 AM
Against the run Osi didnt do a good job containing the outside, especially against Mccoy and RG3.
Osi has always been bad against the run, even in 2007, but it was masked with the DT play pushing the OB back racking up the totals for Osi, Plus they were doubling Strahan so he got one v ones. Now everyone wants to point it out? he was bad against the run in 2010 as well but that was masked with the FF's. can't please everyone man, he was relegated to situational pass rusher and the rest of the Line didn't help at all. He is a speed rusher, he is not going to be good against the run if his assignment is to get to the QB rather than contain the edge.

That being said this was probably osi's worst year as a Starter.
Osi did not start, this is apart of my argument, he was not starting all season, rotaitonal and still did better than tuck and as far as what Osi's job is he got to the QB almost as much as JPP.

i dont think the scheme should play a huge role in rushing the passer from the DE position. DE is probably the easiest position to play (reponsibility wise). It is pretty straight forward.

Again Go back to 2009-2010 what changed in the defense besides Fewell becoming the new DC? the scheme, almost 95% of the same personnel and they were a way better defense altogether than the 2009 unit. Scheme in football in every unit is a huge role for any unit, it is the only role. Do your job within this scheme, you hear coaches say this all the time. Don't know about that DE is easy comment either I watched my friends prepare for it at the high school and college level nothing easy about it, nothing straight forward about it, responsibility wise or ability wise. I can only imagine the stress at the pro level.

Captain Chaos
01-26-2013, 07:16 AM
I don't think the G'men will have the ability to give Osi what he feels he deserves, maybe Oakland will take him...

rainierjef
01-26-2013, 07:18 AM
I don't think the G'men will have the ability to give Osi what he feels he deserves
Can I ask you a question :)?
What does Osi feel he deserves? Do you have any links of him stating what he feels he deserves in a contract?

GameTime
01-26-2013, 07:56 AM
the Giants D needs to improve all the way around. If they have another year 2012 it wont matter if Osi is on the team or not.
Osi is not the make or break for this defense. The defense can be crappy with or without and if thy improve then can be very good with or without him

RoanokeFan
01-26-2013, 08:02 AM
Osi could surprise everyone an take a very organization friendly discounted long term contract. He has said before he wants to retire here but its a business and it takes two to come to terms. If reese is low balling then of course he walks but If it reasonable I think he would be inclined to stay.
Im still trying to find the article where osi stated "He is looking for Top 5 DE money."

I'm not sure Osi ever said that, much like Cruz has never said $8 - 10M. Here's an old article where the author suggests his agent was looking for top DE money

RoanokeFan
01-26-2013, 08:03 AM
the Giants D needs to improve all the way around. If they have another year 2012 it wont matter if Osi is on the team or not.
Osi is not the make or break for this defense. The defense can be crappy with or without and if thy improve then can be very good with or without him

His best contribution in 2013 might be financial if they release him and fill his shoes for less $

TCHOF
01-26-2013, 08:06 AM
Comer on John....no need to be that PC......
Thats now 6 and 2 season ago........time to move on.....thanks Osi....good luck

What purpose would it serve to say anything different than what he said?

These types of things are what make the Giants a class organization.

RoanokeFan
01-26-2013, 08:08 AM
What purpose would it serve to say anything different than what he said?

These types of things are what make the Giants a class organization.

The important part of Mara's comment was there are "financial considerations." Osi isn't going to get another $41 M contract

rainierjef
01-26-2013, 08:10 AM
I'm not sure Osi ever said that, much like Cruz has never said $8 - 10M. Here's an old article where the author suggests his agent was looking for top DE money

Thanks RF. I don't think the article linked, but like you said Osi has never made any monetary demands... yet. Most people are just still fuming off the words written in the affidavit and take the dialogue described in that document as Osi talking to himself.

rainierjef
01-26-2013, 08:12 AM

+1
If they let him go fine, I just hope they have his replacement in the wing or the draft prospect they have in mind is there and becomes that type of player. the grass is not always greener.

TCHOF
01-26-2013, 08:12 AM
The important part of Mara's comment was there are "financial considerations." Osi isn't going to get another $41 M contract

Agreed

Marvelousmik
01-26-2013, 08:15 AM
Osi has always been bad against the run, even in 2007, but it was masked with the DT play pushing the OB back racking up the totals for Osi, Plus they were doubling Strahan so he got one v ones. Now everyone wants to point it out? he was bad against the run in 2010 as well but that was masked with the FF's. can't please everyone man, he was relegated to situational pass rusher and the rest of the Line didn't help at all. He is a speed rusher, he is not going to be good against the run if his assignment is to get to the QB rather than contain the edge.

He is known for being soft against the run, and even mccoy pointed it out. However this year he was completely blowing his assignment to contain the outside. He would get fooled on the play action and give up huge plays to the outside. He didnt get pressure. And I pretty much look at him as a starter. Im not going to compare him to tuck because in my opinion tuck was the worst starting player on our defense last year. Thats basically your assignment go after the QB and contain your gap. As a DE the coach doesnt tell you go get after the QB. Dont worry about containing the edge.

Osi did not start, this is apart of my argument, he was not starting all season, rotaitonal and still did better than tuck and as far as what Osi's job is he got to the QB almost as much as JPP.

Jpp didnt have a good season either but he played the run way better.

Again Go back to 2009-2010 what changed in the defense besides Fewell becoming the new DC? the scheme, almost 95% of the same personnel and they were a way better defense altogether than the 2009 unit.

didnt we lead the league in sacks or turnovers during PF"s first year? (or close to it) and didnt we have a rep for knocking qb's out of games? Remember that night when we had 9 sacks on Cutler in the first half and knocked him out? Didnt we take romo out for the year? The defense was balling. We were a like a top 7 defense that year. We didnt make the playoffs because of the turnovers on offense. Eli had 31 by himself that year.. But Our defense was very good during PF's first year.

Don't know about that DE is easy comment either I watched my friends prepare for it at the high school and college level nothing easy about it, nothing straight forward about it, responsibility wise or ability wise. I can only imagine the stress at the pro level.

DE is the most straight forward position In football because it doesnt require much thinking. You put your hands in the ground and run at the QB. I played TE and DE in my first year of high school. we didnt have much players on our Junior Varsity team so a lot us had to play both sides of the ball often. We ran the ball a lot on offense so when i was in at TE i mostly blocked. My junior year i was moved to safety and played 1 season there before i quit the team. From my experience I would definitely say playing DE and (possibly DT) may take the most endurance. But responsibility wise its literally "Straight forward" Even JPP said something similar.

I dont remember his exact words but i remember him saying something like "He loves playing on the D line because he loves to get at the QB and you dont have to think much. He also said he would rather play DE than DT. I dont have a link to it but ill try to google and see if i can find it. Again i dont know the exact words but i do remember him saying something like that maybe last season or the season before.

Morehead State
01-26-2013, 08:30 AM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000130930/article/mara-wont-rule-out-osi-umenyioras-return-to-giants

Excerpt: "Has Osi Umenyiora played his final game as a member of the New York Giants? Team co-owner John Mara isn't willing to say so. At least publicly.

"I don't know about that," Mara said, according to (http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/giants/post/_/id/22140/mara-on-osi-love-to-have-him-back) ESPNNewYork.com. "We'll see what happens. I would love to have him back. He's been a great player for us. He's a great guy. He's been a huge part of our two Super Bowl (http://www.nfl.com/superbowl/47) wins, but there are economic considerations and we'll just have to see what happens."

After the Giants (http://www.nfl.com/teams/newyorkgiants/profile?team=NYG)' season ended, Umenyiora told a New York radio station (http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000120842/article/osi-umenyiora-ready-for-postnew-york-giants-life) he believed it was "time to move on.""I've earned the right to be a free agent," Umenyiora said. "It's been 10 years. I signed a seven-year deal, and they made me play out all seven of those years. If they wanted me back, I think something would have been done before now." Read more...

Yes.....but I do.

FBomb
01-26-2013, 09:33 AM
1. Osi is not a LDE he is a RDE always has been its a different type of issue going from facing the LT to the RT. you are not always going to get the same production, JPP plays better on the RDE than the LDE so i don't know how this statement "Osi suppose to be good enough to be a menance cause JPP was on the other side and I bet he got doubled so why Osi had a hard time?" is even relevant.

2."Now he hardly win those and is no longer worth a lot of money wich he wants." "even enough for him to get a lot of money wich he wants," do you have a link to the statments Osi made where he states he wants a certain amount of money and before you go off and get me the affidavit stuff thats what reese told Osi not Osi asking for that. So please cause i have been looking, provide me the article where Osi himself said he wants this specific amount of money. thanks

3. "Well he needs a good scheme to help him to come free at the qb a lot of times like in the past." Sad thing Is same fans like you and others on here wanted Osi and Tuck gone in 2009 when we had sheridan then in 2010 when Osi had 10 FF's you all were lining up with puckered lips. Give him more time to get going instead of one play then come out he can produce, give him DT's that can push the line back essentially pushing the QB deeper into the pocket, Linebackers and DL stop the damn run so we make the offense one dimensional and watch Old Osi Tee off. Frankly its annoying listening to you people tear down players that give their bodies for our enjoyment, You people want to just blame one person, point fingers, Its no different from fire Coughlin, fire gilbride, fire fewell, fire mara.

Cool i'm done on the subject the only reason I want Osi to go now is so that I can stop reading/hearing all your whining about it, so that I don't feel compelled to defend a player, I am not getting paid for this screw it.

lol......you're a child. As I read your little temper tantrums I can't help but picture you in your footie PJ's, blankey one hand and sippy cup in the other, stomping your feet and demanding someone listen to you.

You got told to grow up because you started calling people "haters" before the debate even got started.

FBomb
01-26-2013, 09:37 AM

If you can't provide a solid debate outside of the childish grow up antics, go back to what you were doing before we interrupted you

If you are going to act like a child and start calling people haters then "grow up" is what you get. My points are solid and I stand behind them.

The ONLY way Osi comes back is if he finds out no other team is going to over pay for him.

BigBlueAllDay
01-26-2013, 09:46 AM
The average salaries of the top 5 DE's in the league are above $12 million per year. I think Osi is expecting somewhere near $12 million, basically doubling his Giants salary for 2012.

NorwoodBlue
01-26-2013, 10:25 AM
I think Osi's going to be hugely disappointed in the free agent market. His inability to play the run, and the way he totally disappears for a whole games some times doesn't make him worth much to most teams. If he gets any more than his current Giants salary I'd be surprised. When the buzz all around the league, and on every pre-ame show you watch is how Osi has declined in 2012, I seriously doubt he's going to have a whole lot of teams calling. He could end up back with the Giants; but it would have to be at a salary that recognizes he's not a three down player, and his sack production is in rapid decline.

nhpgiantsfan
01-26-2013, 10:40 AM
lol......you're a child. As I read your little temper tantrums I can't help but picture you in your footie PJ's, blankey one hand and sippy cup in the other, stomping your feet and demanding someone listen to you.

You got told to grow up because you started calling people "haters" before the debate even got started.

Have you been around the boards this past year. It is quite clear that there are Osi haters here. Probably more than any other player. It's actually quite a fair assessment. Your immaturity and name calling really isn't necessary. You are the one that needs to grow up!

FBomb
01-26-2013, 10:47 AM
Have you been around the boards this past year. It is quite clear that there are Osi haters here. Probably more than any other player. It's actually quite a fair assessment. Your immaturity and name calling really isn't necessary. You are the one that needs to grow up!

lol...I didn't call anyone a name. As a matter of fact, I answered your previous post with a fair and adult response because you weren't acting like a child when you posted.

I said he needs to grow up because he gets so bent out of shape that people don't agree with his opinion of Osi. It IS possible to have an different opinion of Osi WITHOUT being a hater.

Oh....and go **** yourself.:p

nhpgiantsfan
01-26-2013, 10:55 AM
lol...I didn't call anyone a name. As a matter of fact, I answered your previous post with a fair and adult response because you weren't acting like a child when you posted.

I said he needs to grow up because he gets so bent out of shape that people don't agree with his opinion of Osi. It IS possible to have an different opinion of Osi WITHOUT being a hater.

Oh....and go **** yourself.:p

Typical Internet tough guy. Enjoy your day!

FBomb
01-26-2013, 10:59 AM
Typical Internet tough guy. Enjoy your day!

How am I acting like an "internet tough guy"? You interjected yourself into the conversation between he and I on your soap box of message board etiquette. Am I just suppose to ignore you?

radar-ray
01-26-2013, 11:01 AM
Typical Internet tough guy. Enjoy your day! +1

FBomb
01-26-2013, 11:02 AM
lol....this board is FULL of panty twisted children.

Diamondring
01-26-2013, 11:26 AM
I think Osi's going to be hugely disappointed in the free agent market. His inability to play the run, and the way he totally disappears for a whole games some times doesn't make him worth much to most teams. If he gets any more than his current Giants salary I'd be surprised. When the buzz all around the league, and on every pre-ame show you watch is how Osi has declined in 2012, I seriously doubt he's going to have a whole lot of teams calling. He could end up back with the Giants; but it would have to be at a salary that recognizes he's not a three down player, and his sack production is in rapid decline.You are on the money.

nhpgiantsfan
01-26-2013, 12:21 PM
His sack production relies a lot on the success of the DT's. Actually I think the lack of a push from the DT's this year really affected JPP also. If they can't get pressure up the middle then the QB can just step up in the pocket and beat the DE's every time. Missing Canty most of the year really hurt. Canty was a big force in 2011. Kuhn is not the answer. Osi really flourished with Coefield and Robbins.

FBomb
01-26-2013, 12:28 PM
His sack production relies a lot on the success of the DT's. Actually I think the lack of a push from the DT's this year really affected JPP also. If they can't get pressure up the middle then the QB can just step up in the pocket and beat the DE's every time. Missing Canty most of the year really hurt. Canty was a big force in 2011. Kuhn is not the answer. Osi really flourished with Coefield and Robbins.

Yeah.....lack of sack production is easy to just openly complain about..but the ends rely on the DT's to handle the middle in order to get pressure. That being said....it's Osi's poor play against the run that has frustrated me.

BigBlue1971
01-26-2013, 01:02 PM
maybe Mr. Mara will try for Osi at good price! he would be serviceable in a backup role; however i still wouldnt sign him!

its time for the Giants to sever their ties with Osi!

Marvelousmik
01-26-2013, 01:08 PM

I see too many excuses. As a QB you are dependent on your wide receivers to catch the ball when you throw it. As a receiver you are dependent on your QB. Your whole offense is dependent on the offensive line.

A defensive end is different. If you want to get to the QB then "YOU" have to beat the guy in front of you. Its no one elses fault if you cant do that. Good pash rushers win the 1 on 1 battles, and even the 1v2's at times. Osi had a bad year and its 100% his fault. Who knows though. He might be able to bounce back next year. But me personally, I think he's at the end of his career.

nhpgiantsfan
01-26-2013, 01:08 PM
maybe Mr. Mara will try for Osi at good price! he would be serviceable in a backup role; however i still wouldnt sign him!

its time for the Giants to sever their ties with Osi!

Unfortunately I agree, but only because we can't get rid of Tuck. I def won't be upset if they find a way to come to deal.

Diamondring
01-26-2013, 03:30 PM
I see too many excuses. As a QB you are dependent on your wide receivers to catch the ball when you throw it. As a receiver you are dependent on your QB. Your whole offense is dependent on the offensive line.

A defensive end is different. If you want to get to the QB then "YOU" have to beat the guy in front of you. Its no one elses fault if you cant do that. Good pash rushers win the 1 on 1 battles, and even the 1v2's at times. Osi had a bad year and its 100% his fault. Who knows though. He might be able to bounce back next year. But me personally, I think he's at the end of his career.+1

rainierjef
01-26-2013, 03:44 PM

Sigh* " I forsee 10 pages of anger/hate in this thread."
Is this the post you read where I calling people "haters"? You know what FB we have done this dance before so I am going to approach it a different way this time, than get into a name calling match with you.
In my opinion your reading comprehension must be lacking, if you took that quote above as me calling people Osi haters. If i can summarize that for you, it would look a lot more like this, the thread itself is going to have alot of angry posts towards what mara said cause people hate the idea of resigning Osi back to the team. If that makes them haters or just makes them concerned fans that care more about the caps hits than the players needed to win games or vise versa, that's up to anyone's interpretation.
Also I don't know where you get little temper tantrums from, there was not CAPPED! text in that whole post, all of it was factual and opinionated nothing vulgar came across and I didn't start calling people names like you love to do, to make yourself feel big on a message board, then laugh it off as " ah just busting your chops, people can't handle that anymore."

So no FB I will not go down that road with you again and if you have nothing better that idiotic posts about PJ's and a blankey, which is highly disturbing that you are picturing a grown man in PJ's, you can go back to tuning your guitar or something.

rainierjef
01-26-2013, 03:47 PM

Exactly cause Speed rushers rely on the QB progressing deep into the pocket, If that QB can step up in the pocket untouched then that kind of negates the speed rush cause the DE has to reverse back. If there is not dt pressure then I don't care who you have at DE quick passes, delayed runs and QB runs will kill the defense all day.

rainierjef
01-26-2013, 03:55 PM

A defensive end is different. If you want to get to the QB then "YOU" have to beat the guy in front of you. Its no one elses fault if you cant do that. Good pash rushers win the 1 on 1 battles, and even the 1v2's at times. Osi had a bad year and its 100% his fault. Who knows though. He might be able to bounce back next year. But me personally, I think he's at the end of his career.

I agree with a little of what you're saying here, so let me ask it this way.
Did JPP have a bad year this year as well? and was it his fault?
personally I don't believe in the single blame concept, I think everything has a cause and effect, but you are right 1v1 situations should be won, what masks Osi 1v1 battles that he wins is when he gets blown by the runner to the inside lane he leaves un protected cause he is speed rushing the outside of the tackle, it is extremely more difficult to speed rush from the inside.

But I hear where you're coming from, we will just agree to disagree on the matter, cause I think everyone stunk it up equally this year, and feel its very premature to just blame one person for a unit's failure especially when that person was not a starter. Not saying that's what you are doing but I have seen posts and hear fans do that.

I am ready for Osi to leave honestly so these type of threads can finally go away. I always feel a need to respond to them.

Mod_C
01-26-2013, 03:55 PM
Let's stay on message folks

Diamondring
01-26-2013, 04:34 PM
Exactly cause Speed rushers rely on the QB progressing deep into the pocket, If that QB can step up in the pocket untouched then that kind of negates the speed rush cause the DE has to reverse back. If there is not dt pressure then I don't care who you have at DE quick passes, delayed runs and QB runs will kill the defense all day.But Des also go to the inside to get their qb not just the outside. You have to look at some speed rushers with some strength. This give them the ability to do more than just go around blockers. The technique is also important. Osi has none of these and is not value enough to keep at a high price.

ShakeandBake
01-26-2013, 05:06 PM
Osi is done, his act is tired time to let him go. The guy couldn't even take Fullbacks on 1v1 this year, why would anyone even fathom that this guy can come back and be effective?

Rudyy
01-26-2013, 05:18 PM
I don't understand the fascination with keeping ineffective veterans.

Marvelousmik
01-26-2013, 08:16 PM
I agree with a little of what you're saying here, so let me ask it this way.
Did JPP have a bad year this year as well? and was it his fault?
personally I don't believe in the single blame concept, I think everything has a cause and effect, but you are right 1v1 situations should be won, what masks Osi 1v1 battles that he wins is when he gets blown by the runner to the inside lane he leaves un protected cause he is speed rushing the outside of the tackle, it is extremely more difficult to speed rush from the inside.

But I hear where you're coming from, we will just agree to disagree on the matter, cause I think everyone stunk it up equally this year, and feel its very premature to just blame one person for a unit's failure especially when that person was not a starter. Not saying that's what you are doing but I have seen posts and hear fans do that.

I am ready for Osi to leave honestly so these type of threads can finally go away. I always feel a need to respond to them.

I guess we will agree to disagree and i respect your opinion because I do understand where you're coming from also. People love to dish out blame to 1 person, and they love to blame the coaches when things dont go right. I just think you choose the wrong position in this instance (defensive end). I am not blaming osi for the defense playing bad. I am blaming osi for osi playing bad.

For example lets look at a few offensive positions. there are a lot of things that go into a pass being completed. First the line needs to make sure they block the guys in front of them. the receiver needs sufficient time to run their routes. the receiver needs to run the proper route and try to get open. The QB needs some kind of safe throwing window. The receiver needs the ball to be catchable. The receiver needs to catch the ball. now all of these things dont have to be perfect but the point is they are all dependent on each other.

A pash rusher beating the man in front of him is up to him and him only. There is no excuses or blaming the scheme for that. You dont have to get sacks to be effective. If you cant push the tackle up field or get around him, then that is your fault.

Diamondring
01-26-2013, 08:42 PM
I guess we will agree to disagree and i respect your opinion because I do understand where you're coming from also. People love to dish out blame to 1 person, and they love to blame the coaches when things dont go right. I just think you choose the wrong position in this instance (defensive end). I am not blaming osi for the defense playing bad. I am blaming osi for osi playing bad.

For example lets look at a few offensive positions. there are a lot of things that go into a pass being completed. First the line needs to make sure they block the guys in front of them. the receiver needs sufficient time to run their routes. the receiver needs to run the proper route and try to get open. The QB needs some kind of safe throwing window. The receiver needs the ball to be catchable. The receiver needs to catch the ball. now all of these things dont have to be perfect but the point is they are all dependent on each other.

A pash rusher beating the man in front of him is up to him and him only. There is no excuses or blaming the scheme for that. You dont have to get sacks to be effective. If you cant push the tackle up field or get around him, then that is your fault.You are so right. What makes it funny is that his production is not that good to be payed double digits or even 8 or even 6 mil a year. He is only a speed rusher and all speed rushers aren't good. Osi is overrated and wants a good amount of money. Who the heck he think he is?

nhpgiantsfan
01-26-2013, 08:52 PM

A pash rusher beating the man in front of him is up to him and him only. There is no excuses or blaming the scheme for that. You dont have to get sacks to be effective. If you cant push the tackle up field or get around him, then that is your fault.

Disagree completely, in our defense the DE's need to get a push from the DT's. That didn't happen this year, and it affected all of our DE's. do you feel that JPP's talent dropped off to the tune of 10 sacks less this year?

I am not saying that we should pay Osi big money, but don't be mistaken into thinking that the defense doesn't work as a unit.

nhpgiantsfan
01-26-2013, 08:53 PM
You are so right. What makes it funny is that his production is not that good to be payed double digits or even 8 or even 6 mil a year. He is only a speed rusher and all speed rushers aren't good. Osi is overrated and wants a good amount of money. Who the heck he think he is?

How much money does he want??

Diamondring
01-26-2013, 08:56 PM
How much money does he want??A lot. Trust me, he wants a lot of money and thinks he is still good.

nhpgiantsfan
01-26-2013, 09:01 PM
A lot. Trust me, he wants a lot of money and think he is still good.

The fact is, you have absolutely no idea how much money he is looking for. Nobody does, he hasn't said anything.

Rudyy
01-26-2013, 09:12 PM
The fact is, you have absolutely no idea how much money he is looking for. Nobody does, he hasn't said anything.It's obvious he wants more money than the Giants are willing to pay him. Otherwise, we wouldn't be having this debate.

Marvelousmik
01-26-2013, 09:16 PM
Disagree completely, in our defense the DE's need to get a push from the DT's. That didn't happen this year, and it affected all of our DE's. do you feel that JPP's talent dropped off to the tune of 10 sacks less this year?

I am not saying that we should pay Osi big money, but don't be mistaken into thinking that the defense doesn't work as a unit.

You don't need push from the DT's for you to beat "your man one on one". Im not talking about getting sacks. Im talking about winning the one on one battle with the guy in front of you. The excuses need to stop. We've always had average defensive tackles when it comes to rushing the passer. Down in the trenches you need to win those one on one battles. Especially the defensive ends. Osi played bad and its his fault that he played bad.

G-Men Surg.
01-26-2013, 09:39 PM
You don't need push from the DT's for you to beat "your man one on one". Im not talking about getting sacks. Im talking about winning the one on one battle with the guy in front of you. The excuses need to stop. We've always had average defensive tackles when it comes to rushing the passer. Down in the trenches you need to win those one on one battles. Especially the defensive ends. Osi played bad and its his fault that he played bad.

Like mentioned before he wants to be a stater again, he will never be starting again with the Giants, that been said he's asking for long term " starting " contract, thats why he sees him self out of town.

JJC7301
01-26-2013, 11:20 PM
Not a big deal -- Mara will leave that decision up to JR and the FO. I don't mind Osi coming back either, for the right price. But if he does, I'd still aspire to draft a DE this year anyway.

nhpgiantsfan
01-27-2013, 09:16 AM

So did JPP have a bad season also, because they had about the same number of sacks. I don't think he played bad but according to your "logic" he must have.

nhpgiantsfan
01-27-2013, 09:19 AM
Like mentioned before he wants to be a stater again, he will never be starting again with the Giants, that been said he's asking for long term " starting " contract, thats why he sees him self out of town.

Nobody knows what Osi is asking for, and nobody knows what the Giants would be willing to pay him.

He probably won't be back. But everyone on here talking about what Osi wants is purely speculating and starting rumors that they can't back up. Please provide some links people!

FBomb
01-27-2013, 10:04 AM
No one knows the exact number Osi is looking for, but from his past rumblings it's logical to think he wants far more than he's worth and what the Giants are willing to pay.

It was just 2 years ago that he was complaining about the ridiculous deal the Panthers gave Charles Johnson....

Osi as inflated self opinion...and he wants out of NY. He wants to be a FA so let him. Let's see what he can get. There are a few teams that will overpay for him.....as long as it's not the Giants I don't care.

People get too sentimental over players. Our D-line was a punch line last season.

Spytheweb
01-27-2013, 10:40 AM
Let him chase the money, beware that Giants players who have left get a big payday but do not fare well. In a couple of years they are either out of the NFL or hopping from team to team with even less playing time. Boss, Manningham and Jacobs.

Osi and Tuck didn't show up this year. The rest of the team just quit when it look like they were running away with the Div. Why? The Giants could beat any team in the playoffs. They had it made, just make the playoffs. I expect the same this season, start strong and then go into a coma.

Marvelousmik
01-27-2013, 11:52 AM
So did JPP have a bad season also, because they had about the same number of sacks. I don't think he played bad but according to your "logic" he must have.

Jpp had a down year in terms of rushing the passer but played good against he run. osi was bad at both.

TomCat_FIN
01-27-2013, 02:13 PM
I don't know. Osi was better than Tuck down the road, but there's no sense in keeping both of them anymore so I would let Osi walk and look elsewhere,

Diamondring
01-27-2013, 02:27 PM
Osi is crazy to think he should get a lot of paper. Yet if he can get back on top, I'll eat crow hard. I did it in the past.

TooStupid
01-28-2013, 06:17 AM
Too many so called fans Hating on Osi.. He only came off the bench and had just as many sacks as JPP.. We need the depth if he comes at a good price.
\
Hating? Ill trade 4 sacks by a DE that can play the run. Far too often people just ran around him. Osi is as caught up in getting sacks as you are. He believes he only gets paid to get a sack. Nothing else seems to matter to him. This league is changing into a run option offense and OSi is not the guy that can play that. I for one am tired of watching the ball carrier through the back of Osi's jersey.

TomCat_FIN
01-28-2013, 06:45 AM
Osi is a way below average run defender, that's true. Combined with his deteriorating pass rushing, it's time to look elsewhere. He will always have a place in the hearst of Giants fans, but the time has come to upgrade the D. The offenses are changing and the Giants can't just stand pat, because of loyalty to one player. Osi had a great run with us and I hope him all the best in the future.

BlueBlooded1979
01-28-2013, 06:02 PM
Osi has value to this team and they will present him with an offer. If he goes out and finds better then good for him. If he resigns here then I am confident that Reese and more importantly TC think he can contribute.

Tuck is signed at 4.5m for 1 more year. You will not replace his production as a solid run defender with pass rush ability for less than that. Contract years are often great motivators for guys and I would better he has a much better year.

TCHOF
01-28-2013, 07:42 PM
Osi has value to this team and they will present him with an offer. If he goes out and finds better then good for him. If he resigns here then I am confident that Reese and more importantly TC think he can contribute.

Tuck is signed at 4.5m for 1 more year. You will not replace his production as a solid run defender with pass rush ability for less than that. Contract years are often great motivators for guys and I would better he has a much better year.

Excellent post.