PDA

View Full Version : Shaun Rogers

Captain Chaos
01-26-2013, 11:14 AM
Given some of our issues on the D line do you think the Giants would want to consider brining back Shaun Rogers this year? Would he be a good replacement for someone like Rocky Bernard?

From BBI:

Shaun Rogers
was placed on Injured Reserve in August 2012 with a blood clot. The Giants signed Rogers as an unrestricted free agent in April 2012. Rogers was originally drafted in the 2nd round of the 2001 NFL Draft by the Detroit Lions. In 11 NFL seasons, Rogers has played for the Lions (2001-07), Browns, (2008-10), and Saints (2011). He was voted to the Pro Bowl in 2004, 2005, and 2008. Rogers is a huge, powerful player. In his prime, he was a very strong run defender who could also push the pocket on the pass rush. However, he is nearing the end of his career. He started four games for the Saints in 2011 and finished with just 22 tackles and no sacks. Amazingly, Rogers has blocked 14 field goal attempts in his career.

brad
01-26-2013, 11:22 AM
He is an option... but I doubt he does much more than provide depth... he certainly isn't going to crack the starting lineup

FBomb
01-26-2013, 11:24 AM
He's a little long in the tooth, imo. That is the current problem with our d-line as it is. I would rather bring in some youth.

Cloud57
01-26-2013, 11:40 AM
He's a little long in the tooth, imo. That is the current problem with our d-line as it is. I would rather bring in some youth.+1 we have enough old guys already, we need some younger players.

Diamondring
01-26-2013, 11:42 AM
He's a little long in the tooth, imo. That is the current problem with our d-line as it is. I would rather bring in some youth.This.

laylow28
01-26-2013, 12:37 PM
Rather move on with a younger DT.

GameTime
01-26-2013, 01:43 PM
lets get Austin either going on the DL or going out the doot. Kuhn will be back too.
Rodgers may get a shot and why not....for depth that woul dbe OK.

BigBlueAllDay
01-26-2013, 01:47 PM
I think Rogers would have been in the starting lineup in 2012 because he was playing with the first-teamers in preseason, but injury came knocking on the door...

JesseJames
01-26-2013, 04:48 PM
whether it be Shaun Rogers or somebody else like him we definitely need a good run stuffing DT...

TCHOF
01-26-2013, 04:50 PM
lets get Austin either going on the DL or going out the doot. Kuhn will be back too.
Rodgers may get a shot and why not....for depth that woul dbe OK.

Not crazy about the fact that our options are a draft bust and a 7th round project coming off an ACL tear. This position is a need position in the draft.

DownWitJPP
01-26-2013, 04:54 PM
maybe its just me but i would be for bringing him back with a low risk contract. Dude was such a monster when he was younger and commands double teams every play. I would at least bring him into training camp

Captain Chaos
01-27-2013, 06:05 AM
I think brining him back for a look is not a bad idea and personally think he may be better than Bernard and likely Austin and Kuhn in the backup role.

Drez
01-27-2013, 10:00 AM
I think Rogers would have been in the starting lineup in 2012 because he was playing with the first-teamers in preseason, but injury came knocking on the door... Canty was on the PUP in camp. He would have be a rotational guy... probably no more than 25-30 snaps a game.

NorwoodBlue
01-27-2013, 10:34 AM
Rogers is getting long on the tooth, and Austin and Kuhn don't look like they're going to pan out as top notch talent. We can't rely on Canty, he just seems to have too many injury problems playing on the inside. Canty, to me, has always looked more like the prototypical LDE. With his height and wingspan he could be knocking down a ton of passes if he was at the end spot. I wonder if they've ever thought of switching he and Tuck. Canty played DE in a 3-4 system before he came to the Giants. I think DT is up there on the areas of need; but if you wait until the fourth or fifth round to address it, you'll probably not improve the position that much. It will be interesting to a) see if Rogers returns and doesn't just retire, and b) what kind of form he comes back in if he does come back.