PDA

View Full Version : Watching Superbowl XXXV

SirRuckus
01-27-2013, 11:39 AM
So let me 1st say I only became a Giants fan the season we won Superbowl 42. While plenty of my family members were living in NY I only moved here in 2007. Btw i didn't hop on the bandwagon after the win I sat through that entire rollercoaster season including the Vikings game and was one of many who thought Eli didn't have what it took. Anyway, having only been a fan for a few years I didn't watch the big game against the Ravens live. Seeing the replay of this game is quite depressing as we were dominated from beginning to end by a great defense. I was wondering what your thoughts are on how our recent Superbowl winning offenses would've fared against that Ravens team from 2000.

TomCat_FIN
01-27-2013, 05:05 PM
That Giants team had no chance, but the recent SB teams would have come out to fight with a relentless pass rush and the games would have been closer than the 2000 one.

1986Bavaro
01-27-2013, 05:33 PM
I watched it live in 2001 and watched the replay today. I had forgotten how Kerry Collins lost that game for us. He was horrible. Four picks and a fumble. He is the reason we lost. He never had the character to win a big game. Eli would have torched those Ravens.

Watching this also made up my mind to root for the 9ers next week. Can't root for that phony father of 6 with 4 wives, "religious" man acquitted of murder.

egyptian420
01-27-2013, 05:40 PM
I watched it live in 2001 and watched the replay today. I had forgotten how Kerry Collins lost that game for us. He was horrible. Four picks and a fumble. He is the reason we lost. He never had the character to win a big game. Eli would have torched those Ravens.

Watching this also made up my mind to root for the 9ers next week. Can't root for that phony father of 6 with 4 wives, "religious" man acquitted of murder.You do understand people can change right? And he didn't actually murder anyone, he was very much involved but I think he genuinely changed, or at least I hope so, if he's just faking it this entire time then that's unfortunate and he will pay for it eventually I'm sure.

jomo
01-27-2013, 05:44 PM
Our current offense (this year) would have had trouble because our OL can't sustain their blocks often enough on the running and passing games. Our 2007 and 2011 offenses would have fared very well and either of them could have defeated that Ravens team. Kerry Collins was a scared kitten in that game. We had no chance whatsoever,

keyofgmen
01-27-2013, 06:35 PM
I was at the game and it seemed right from the start the Giants were always at their own 10 and there was no plan to get out. It was panic play calling and playing from the get-go.
Don't know if any QB could have done better considering the Ravens D and Giants lack of an answer.

Toadofsteel
01-27-2013, 07:35 PM
I'm still rooting for the Ravens, but now it's because I want to see Ray Rice and Joe Flacco get their chance to hoise a Lombardi. Flacco has quietly been improving his game much like Eli did in 2007. Ray Rice is pretty much a HoF lock now if he keeps producing like he has.

As for Ray Lewis, he was never convicted of the crimes, and even if he really is guilty, I do truly believe he has changed. I feel as though his work ethic, and the things he's done for Baltimore since then are his way of atoning. Some people are still butthurt over 2000 it seems. But as far as I'm concerned, Eli would have made that game very competitive. Not going to take away from what the 2000 ravens defense was, but Kerry Collins sucking definitely destroyed us that game.

egyptian420
01-27-2013, 07:38 PM
As for Ray Lewis, he was never convicted of the crimes, and even if he really is guilty, I do truly believe he has changed. I feel as though his work ethic, and the things he's done for Baltimore since then are his way of atoning. Some people are still butthurt over 2000 it seems. But as far as I'm concerned, Eli would have made that game very competitive. Not going to take away from what the 2000 ravens defense was, but Kerry Collins sucking definitely destroyed us that game.This

ebick
01-27-2013, 07:43 PM
The most prominent memories I have of that awful event were that every time the Giants tried to do something offensively there were what seemed to be 50 Ravens players around a Giant all by their lonesome. Conversely, whenever the Ravens did something on offense, there seemed to be 50 Ravens blocking for the ball carrier and no Giants around.

I know there was a bad call that over turned a TD for us, and some other bad breaks, but honestly, none of it added up to a win or even a competitive game for us from where I stood.

YATittle1962
01-27-2013, 07:45 PM
coaching lost that game

the Ravens coaching staff out coached Fassel and his staff so badly ....exposed their gameplan from the first snap and the Giants could not recover

Kerry Collins could never read a defense .....and in this game he was given no help from the coaches ...and there seemed to be no adjustment to any 3 step drop, quick passing game, or affective screens to try to neutralize the heavy pass rush

also Amani and Ike were sitting down on the routes all day not helping their QB out at all , Tiki had zero help from the O line, and the defense was put in poor position over and over

that game was over before the teams took the field

SweetZombieJesus
01-27-2013, 08:52 PM
The 2000 team got punched in the mouth and went down like a sack of bricks.

If you need to see how the 2011 and 2007 teams would have responded, watch the 2011 NFC Championship Game. Eli got pulverized and kept coming back for more. There's your answer.

http://destefano.files.wordpress.com/2011/07/eli-time.png

NYG 5
01-27-2013, 11:17 PM
That was a game where a lot of guys didn't make any impact at all. Strahan, Armstead, Tiki, Dixon and perhaps Ike were marginally effective. Collins, Ron Stone, Toomer, Sehorn, Shaun Williams, and Jurevicius did nothing. Blocking downfield and on screens was also atrocius, which is what was supposed to be a strength going into the game too.