PDA

View Full Version : Webster

NYGabriel
01-27-2013, 08:36 AM
If not, what's taking so long?

I'm still having nightmares and flashbacks of Webster being victimized and posterized habitually. His season was almost comical. It's unacceptable. When is he getting cut?

Die-Hard
01-27-2013, 09:08 AM
Hes not

nhpgiantsfan
01-27-2013, 09:20 AM
He is owed too much money.

jints10
01-27-2013, 10:04 AM
You do know he played most of the year with a broken arm right

FBomb
01-27-2013, 10:07 AM
Webby is on the downside of his career. A broken arm doesn't put you out of position or cause you to get burned on several occasions.

NorwoodBlue
01-27-2013, 10:10 AM
He had a bad season, probably the injury played some role in that. You don't go from lights out to his struggles this year without an underlying reason. The real question is, who are you going to replace him with? There's nobody we've got who's ready to step into that role. Don't even suggest Terrell Thomas, he's got a long way to go to get back to being healthy enough to play and stay on the field. I think Webster needs to be allowed to get back to full health, and see what happens. I wouldn't be surprised to see him regain his form next year.

FBomb
01-27-2013, 10:15 AM
He had a bad season, probably the injury played some role in that. You don't go from lights out to his struggles this year without an underlying reason. The real question is, who are you going to replace him with? There's nobody we've got who's ready to step into that role. Don't even suggest Terrell Thomas, he's got a long way to go to get back to being healthy enough to play and stay on the field. I think Webster needs to be allowed to get back to full health, and see what happens. I wouldn't be surprised to see him regain his form next year.

He's not going anywhere so he will get his shot to redeem himself. But he will be 31 in a few weeks....it is time to start looking for his eventual replacement.

NorwoodBlue
01-27-2013, 10:24 AM
He's not going anywhere so he will get his shot to redeem himself. But he will be 31 in a few weeks....it is time to start looking for his eventual replacement.

I very much agree

GameTime
01-27-2013, 10:42 AM
broke a bone in his right hand in the panther game. No broken arm....
But he will be with the team next season and prob will take a pay cut...

GameTime
01-27-2013, 10:43 AM
If not, what's taking so long?

I'm still having nightmares and flashbacks of Webster being victimized and posterized habitually. His season was almost comical. It's unacceptable. When is he getting cut?
ok....cut him.....whats your answer to that?
And dont say anything would be better because that is BS......

NYGabriel
01-27-2013, 10:48 AM
ok....cut him.....whats your answer to that?
And dont say anything would be better because that is BS......

If he takes a pay cut then fair enough. He's awful though. Get Aqib Talib.

river555
01-27-2013, 10:55 AM
Its true that Wester didnt have a good season especially in the second half but he was not alone, the WHOLE defense was terrible. No pass rush, not good at stopping the run. We were 31st in the NFL 383 yds a game. So not fair to put so much blame on Webster. Many players on D had bad seassons and keep in mind when a CB makes a mistake or has a bad game it stands out much more than any other position. You never know, but i dont think he gets cut. That would leave us with only Prince and Hosley, no depth and no cap space to sign a free agent. He's been a solid CB for us for many years. If the D can improve as a whole he will be fine and he gives us experience and leadership considering we have such young CBs.

jomo
01-27-2013, 11:23 AM
Its true that Wester didnt have a good season especially in the second half but he was not alone, the WHOLE defense was terrible. No pass rush, not good at stopping the run. We were 31st in the NFL 383 yds a game. So not fair to put so much blame on Webster. Many players on D had bad seassons and keep in mind when a CB makes a mistake or has a bad game it stands out much more than any other position. You never know, but i dont think he gets cut. That would leave us with only Prince and Hosley, no depth and no cap space to sign a free agent. He's been a solid CB for us for many years. If the D can improve as a whole he will be fine and he gives us experience and leadership considering we have such young CBs.If our D line can improve (plenty of room to do that) and get more pressure on the QB, our CB's without doing anything else will be much better including Webster.

NorwoodBlue
01-27-2013, 11:26 AM
redundant thread

GameTime
01-27-2013, 11:32 AM
where will you get the money from.....
Web had a bad year.......no doubt. But in this day and age of caps and cap hits you just cant cut him and sign Talib.....

Die-Hard
01-27-2013, 11:34 AM

Why would you want a walking time bomb in the locker room?

Not to mention that they(Giants) cant afford to keep the guys they already have, so where does the money come from to pay him? Think it through

RoanokeFan
01-27-2013, 12:00 PM

And a hamstring issue, but broken hand, not arm

Cloud57
01-27-2013, 12:49 PM
I guess we still have to watch highlights of Webster getting burned again.. ugh

drewz
01-27-2013, 01:18 PM

STATUS QUO! amazing right!?!?!

Cloud57
01-27-2013, 01:23 PM
STATUS QUO! amazing right!?!?!he may be gone in 2014 though

GameTime
01-27-2013, 01:38 PM
maybe he's not done. Maybe he last years was just a bad year.

Rich4114
01-27-2013, 01:51 PM
Training camp will be pretty interesting. I hope we pick up some options at CB. I think Prince ends up being #1 and it'd be awesome to see Hosley take a step forward. If TT can come back and be a top slot CB that would go a long way and allow someone like Hosley to play outside where he's better. Would love to find a way to just get a shut down press coverage CB though.

BigBlue1971
01-27-2013, 02:03 PM
he may be gone in 2014 though

especially if he doesnt improve his play from 2012!

he essentially sucked!

TomCat_FIN
01-27-2013, 03:35 PM
He was bad, but I'm willing to give him some slack. I mean the NFL is a rough league and one bad season might mean you get cut, but the Giants don't have anyone to replace him at the moment anyway so I'd be content with keeping him for now. I mean the guy can play, he has proven that regardless of what happened this season.

RoanokeFan
01-27-2013, 03:41 PM
He was bad, but I'm willing to give him some slack. I mean the NFL is a rough league and one bad season might mean you get cut, but the Giants don't have anyone to replace him at the moment anyway so I'd be content with keeping him for now. I mean the guy can play, he has proven that regardless of what happened this season.

They should be able to tell in camp if his injuries were responsible for any of his obvious drop off in 2012.

TextureDj
01-27-2013, 03:45 PM
Training camp will be pretty interesting. I hope we pick up some options at CB. I think Prince ends up being #1 and it'd be awesome to see Hosley take a step forward. If TT can come back and be a top slot CB that would go a long way and allow someone like Hosley to play outside where he's better. Would love to find a way to just get a shut down press coverage CB though.whyt would you want a press corner when we run an extremely zone heavy defense? I think that is one of webbs biggest issues, you take away the jam and aggression inside 5yds and he is at a disadvantage.

BleedinBlue72
01-27-2013, 04:09 PM

WOW and all season i thought it was a foot or a leg!! that guy got no speed!! burned everytime!! he has gotta go!

RoanokeFan
01-27-2013, 04:17 PM
WOW and all season i thought it was a foot or a leg!! that guy got no speed!! burned everytime!! he has gotta go!

It was also a hamstring

egyptian420
01-27-2013, 05:20 PM
If he doesn't prove that he's a starter in camp, he doesn't start. If there is someone better than him for the position then they should take it. I don't understand this rationalization of not playing our best player because "he's owed too much to not play"....that is just insane.

You play the best player for the position, all that money and contract stuff is secondary.

mercurio
01-27-2013, 05:29 PM
Webster is our #1 cb and as such plays against the opposing teams #1 receiver. Even Revis get burned against top receivers. A decent pass rush is needed to stop receivers getting too much time to run routes.

egyptian420
01-27-2013, 05:32 PM
Webster is our #1 cb and as such plays against the opposing teams #1 receiver. Even Revis get burned against top receivers. A decent pass rush is needed to stop receivers getting too much time to run routes.I hope you're not comparing Webster's shortcomings to Revis'

mercurio
01-27-2013, 10:16 PM
I hope you're not comparing Webster's shortcomings to Revis'I'm comparing #1 CBs. The other CBs may look good because the receivers they are covering are not as good or are not the QBs go to receiver. Most teams are not as deep in receiver talent as the Giants.

rar57
01-28-2013, 12:32 AM
Webster is on the downside of his career, no doubt. However his problems this year and the rest of the defensive backfield, for that matter, were totally related to our lack of a pass rush. The Giants have to address the defensive line issues before doing anything else. If we have talent already on the roster, then why are they not playing. Whose fault is that? If it is Coghlan, then that needs to be addressed, first.

TomCat_FIN
01-28-2013, 01:39 AM
There were also some apparent communication breakdowns on defense that didn't help Webster, but as a veteran he should have stepped up. Quarterbacks were targeting him and he was getting burned -- that's where you have to step it up and make a play to stop them from going your way.

Like I said earlier, I'm not yet willing to give up on him, because he's not as bad as he was at times this season.

Morehead State
01-28-2013, 08:26 AM
From what I saw of Corey Webster, it wasn't his cover skills that were the problem. Yes, there were some miscommunications out there. But it seemed to me that in many of the big plays he gave up, he had very tight coverage. It was his ball skills that were horrible. So many times he allowed defenders to catch balls where he had good position.
I have no idea if that's injury related or just a loss of skills due to age.

TomCat_FIN
01-28-2013, 08:28 AM
From what I saw of Corey Webster, it wasn't his cover skills that were the problem. Yes, there were some miscommunications out there. But it seemed to me that in many of the big plays he gave up, he had very tight coverage. It was his ball skills that were horrible. So many times he allowed defenders to catch balls where he had good position.

It was a little bit of both, IMO. He was also way too often beaten way too cleanly (couldn't stay with his man).

Morehead State
01-28-2013, 08:44 AM
It was a little bit of both, IMO. He was also way too often beaten way too cleanly (couldn't stay with his man).
I didn't see as much of that as some here might be suggesting. Especially late in the season.

Toadofsteel
01-28-2013, 08:47 AM
I'm still wondering why Prince was relegated to the #2 receiver in man coverage to be completely honest... he was the better CB of the two. Hell even Hosley got better than Corey Toaster by the end of the season.

Captain Chaos
01-28-2013, 09:56 AM

Wouldn't mind seeing them pick up a stud in the Draft! Best situation that the Draftee is takes over for the Super Bowl run.

BigBlue1971
01-28-2013, 10:57 AM

you know i think having already won 2 championships a couple of players Webby included seemed satisfied and decided not play this season!

his injuries, skills and age certainly contribued but i think hes a lot better than his performance indicated

Morehead State
01-28-2013, 01:16 PM
you know i think having already won 2 championships a couple of players Webby included seemed satisfied and decided not play this season!

his injuries, skills and age certainly contribued but i think hes a lot better than his performance indicated
I really doubt that. I think he's just declining a bit.

TheEnigma
01-28-2013, 01:30 PM
https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2013/01/28/signature-stats-first-downs-allowed-cornerbacks/

It's like no matter what aspect of a CBs game you look at for 2012, Webster ranks around the bottom and Prince is lurking in the top. Time for a switch on who covers who on Sundays.

TomCat_FIN
01-28-2013, 01:34 PM
Prince did play very solid coverage, IMO. I mean he was really good at times. But one starting CB won't cut it and I'm not sure if Hosley is a future starter. That's why I would still hold on to Webster for one more year at least.

TheEnigma
01-28-2013, 01:39 PM
Prince did play very solid coverage, IMO. I mean he was really good at times. But one starting CB won't cut it and I'm not sure if Hosley is a future starter. That's why I would still hold on to Webster for one more year at least.

Yeah I think it would be too risky to just say goodbye to Webster at this point with the depth we have. Considering how chaotic the position is, it isn't unheard of when a CB drops down so far season to season. I say we draft a mid round CB who has better physical traits for the outside than Hosley and develop him for 2014.