PDA

View Full Version : Pat Traina with her thoughts after studying cap situation - she knows her stuff

NYG4lifeNYK
01-27-2013, 06:14 PM
http://corner.bigblueinteractive.com/index.php?mode=2&thread=463986

Patricia just like Garafolo did covers this team extremely well.

I guess I'll post everything.

I do not think Ahmad Bradshaw is going to be cut. Might they restructure him? Possibly, though I don’t see it being a huge restructuring even if David Wilson moves ahead of him on the depth chart. There's simply no way to where they can drop AB's base salary below that of DW's, even if DW starts.

I think Michael Boley could become a cap casualty. I could see Jacquian Williams taking over at WLB next year.

Quote:

I don’t think Corey Webster will be cut. While I would think his base salary would be in line for restructuring, this is the final year of his contract, and they might leave it as is just until they know for sure if Jayron Hosley is their future starter at that spot.

I don’t know if David Diehl will be cut at least right away because right now, they don’t have any experienced depth at tackle on that roster. If James Brewer moves into the starting lineup, Diehl could be a reserve, though obviously not at such a high base salary. If, however, Diehl is cut before the start of the new league year, that is a sure sign that a veteran OL is high on their FA list.

I have a strong suspicion that Will Beatty will be franchised, unless of course they reach a long-term deal with him. I could also see Victor Cruz getting the highest possible RFA tender if his contract isn’t resolved before the start of FA on March 12.

I think Stevie Brown will get at least a second-round tender, though if the team gives him an original round tender, that is likely an indication about how they feel about Will Hill and his chances of starting sooner than later. I do not think Kenny Phillips returns.

I have a strong hunch that Lawrence Tynes might not be back. Tynes is coming off a banner year, despite his little hiccups later in the season, and he’s certainly going to be an attractive free agent when he hits the market. Remember, this could be his final NFL contract, so I'm sure he'll want to make it really count.

I wouldn’t be shocked if they re-sign Keith Rivers and maybe look at him as their middle linebacker next year. Yes, Rivers has been injury-prone, but when he’s been on the field, he’s often looked very, very good and they might give him another shot.

If we're talking candidates for contract restructurings, I wonder if perhaps Chris Canty + Chris Snee might be asked to re-structure to lower their base salaries. I know Eli + Antrel Rolle are two guys most would like to see restructured, but Eli restructured last year while Rolle has played very well. While Canty and Snee both dealt with injury issues this year, and Snee is coming off a Pro Bowl season, I think those will be two contracts to keep an eye on.

If I have to guess right now on the highest area of needs, I’d say in no particular order: cornerback, offensive tackle, and defensive tackle are right up there. I know some of you think linebacker should be in there as well, and that area will probably get some new depth, but I think the three positions I listed earlier in this post are probably of a higher priority given the current depth situation.

NYG4lifeNYK
01-27-2013, 06:20 PM
I hope to God she's wrong about Diehl....... if he comes back for anything more than the vet min that's ridiculous. We have SO MANY other pressing needs & FA's that money needs to go towards.

Also Bradshaw..... If they pay him that much money that's also absurd.

I really hope Tynes is back.... guy is so reliable just not from 50+

Drystt
01-27-2013, 06:32 PM
Wow nice find there. Beatty does make sense for franchise tag, since they went the route with Weatherford last year. Cruz will be resigned.

Toadofsteel
01-27-2013, 06:40 PM
Beatty better be on the team next season. He's our only OL worth a damn... If I were forced to pick at gunpoint between taking Cruz and Beatty, i'd take Beatty. Of course I want them both back, but Beatty is the higher priority IMO than Cruz.

Roosevelt
01-27-2013, 06:41 PM
I can't imagine the Giants paying Corey $8 million after last season when his cap hit would be under a million. He has to structure or he's gone IMO.

Toadofsteel
01-27-2013, 06:44 PM
I'd almost say cut Webster outright, eat the 3.whatever mill guaranteed on our cap, and then offer him a 1 year vet min contract. Overall it would cost us 4 out of the 7 mill coming his way if he stays as he is, and it's not like another team is gonna pick up Corey Toaster...

NYGisBallin
01-27-2013, 06:44 PM
Great find.. Traina knows her stuff!!

Bones911
01-27-2013, 06:55 PM
I agree Beatty could be franchised but the tag this year for tackles is close to 15 million. I doubt the Giants would even consider paying that for him.

WR4Life
01-27-2013, 06:56 PM
I think letting Phillips walk would be a huge mistake. The defense plays completely differently with him on the field.

ShakeandBake
01-27-2013, 07:06 PM
I think letting Phillips walk would be a huge mistake. The defense plays completely differently with him on the field.

Right, but how often is that? We can't keep throwing money at guys like KP and TT who can not stay healthy. I don't think its a good idea to give KP a huge contract.

Flip Empty
01-27-2013, 07:07 PM
I hope to God she's wrong about Diehl....... if he comes back for anything more than the vet min that's ridiculous. We have SO MANY other pressing needs & FA's that money needs to go towards.

It's simply impossible for Diehl to count for vet min, he has too much guaranteed money on his contract.

nycsportzfan
01-27-2013, 07:10 PM
I'm very OK with letting Lawerence Tynes go.. I've always said, i just don't trust em, and he can always miss a makable FG and seems to just make alot of easy ones as well, and is terrible from deep, where i think is the only area u can really tell the diffrence from a Good kicker and a Kicker that makes only what just about every NFL kicker should make..

WR4Life
01-27-2013, 07:30 PM
Right, but how often is that? We can't keep throwing money at guys like KP and TT who can not stay healthy. I don't think its a good idea to give KP a huge contract.

Then offer him a contract that is heavily incentive laden. An incentive laden contract based on playing time would be perfect.

Ruttiger711
01-27-2013, 07:48 PM
It would be great if Rivers could put together an injury free season. He was the most explosive linebacker to wear blue in a while.

drewz
01-27-2013, 07:57 PM
I'd be content with 3 of those things happening.

1) Michael Boley being cut in favor of Jacquan Williams, and Keith Rivers taking over.. but who will be SAM? My guess if they draft a MLB during the draft, Rivers and Williams will be on the outside.. not bad IMO

2) Tynes being cut.. Dear god, wherever will be find another FG kicker that can't make a kick outside 50?

3) Beatty getting franchised, that means they want him to stay and become a lockdown LT.. Pay the man, all the money we're paying two average linemen (Diehl, Snee) comes off the books in the next two years anyway

However, as I've said many times.. If Diehl is on this roster next year, Tom Coughlin will find a way to put him in the lineup and stunt the growth of younger lineman. Cut him, bring back Locklear and hope for the best with Brewer, because he can't be any worse than Diehl.

Rolle, and Webster should be cut but I doubt that happens.

giantsfan420
01-27-2013, 07:58 PM
It would be great if Rivers could put together an injury free season. He was the most explosive linebacker to wear blue in a while.i agree. remember when he pushed the guys trying to block him back into the ball carrier and it caused a fumble? that was sweet

giantsacks
01-27-2013, 09:36 PM
Kp is gone unless he takes a contract like tt did last year with injury clause etc to re-establish his value I won't be shockd if Philly picks him up or Dallas they need safetys bad

jomo
01-27-2013, 09:37 PM

Also Bradshaw..... If they pay him that much money that's also absurd.

I really hope Tynes is back.... guy is so reliable just not from 50+Remember if they lose Diehl, they need to replace him with equal talent for less money or better quality for the same money. They can probably do that but not easily.

jomo
01-27-2013, 09:38 PM

1) Michael Boley being cut in favor of Jacquan Williams, and Keith Rivers taking over.. but who will be SAM? My guess if they draft a MLB during the draft, Rivers and Williams will be on the outside.. not bad IMO

2) Tynes being cut.. Dear god, wherever will be find another FG kicker that can't make a kick outside 50?

3) Beatty getting franchised, that means they want him to stay and become a lockdown LT.. Pay the man, all the money we're paying two average linemen (Diehl, Snee) comes off the books in the next two years anyway

However, as I've said many times.. If Diehl is on this roster next year, Tom Coughlin will find a way to put him in the lineup and stunt the growth of younger lineman. Cut him, bring back Locklear and hope for the best with Brewer, because he can't be any worse than Diehl.

Rolle, and Webster should be cut but I doubt that happens.So you'd like us to cut Rolle?

Buddy333
01-27-2013, 09:44 PM
For all those that want Bradshaw off this team don't count on it. Yeah he makes good money. That's because he is worth it. The injuries are something they can only hope don't happen, but when he plays he is very good. Also, and so many hate to hear his, he is an excellent blocker. That is something that Brown, Scott, and Wilson can not say. Do you think the team will not have at least one good blocking back on the team? Hill is the future at Safety for this team. I think he can fill the role of KP when he is one which may be this year.

Buddy333
01-27-2013, 09:46 PM
So you'd like us to cut Rolle?Why not?

Toadofsteel
01-27-2013, 10:08 PM

I think Jwill would be great at weak LB, and rivers at strong LB. In the middle we might take ogletree in the first if he falls to us, but otherwise, i'm still okay with Blackburn for ONE more year IF we draft a guy late to develop. Most of our running defense woes was that you could basically bounce off-tackle to Osi's side and gain an instant first down...

Don't really have strong feelings either way.

Not franchise, we need Beatty locked up with a 5+ year deal.

I hope Locklear can be ready to play week 1. That would be great. Doubt it, but it would be great.

Rolle, and Webster should be cut but I doubt that happens.
I think we should cut webster than then offer him a take it or leave it vet min contract. The total cap hit for cutting him + a new vet min deal is about 4 million, compared to the 7 million he is due in his existing contract.

drewz
01-27-2013, 10:11 PM
So you'd like us to cut Rolle?

Yes. Rolle is the most overpaid player on this team. He is TERRIBLE in pass coverage.. If theres blown coverage with a corner expecting safety help, chances are it's Rolle. I'd pay Kenny Phillips, and coach up two very good potential safeties in Will Hill and Stevie Brown.

Rolle is due to make 9 mill next years, that is insane...

Jahh
01-28-2013, 07:49 AM
Remember if they lose Diehl, they need to replace him with equal talent for less money or better quality for the same money. They can probably do that but not easily.

I think the FA OT class this year is deep. We should definitely find a good value thats better than Diehl considering he is the worst tackle in the league.

Flip Empty
01-28-2013, 07:57 AM
Rolle is due to make 9 mill next years, that is insane...
Why is it insane? His contract counts for that much because of the restructure it underwent in 2011. It has nothing to do with Rolle's "worth".

Buddy333
01-28-2013, 07:58 AM
There has to be a FA RT out there that is better than Diehl and won't make near what he is due this year.

TomCat_FIN
01-28-2013, 08:05 AM
Kenny Phillips becomes expendable if they retain Brown and why wouldn't they. The 3-safety package isn't a must-have, IMO and they can live to tell about it also without Phillips.

Flip Empty
01-28-2013, 08:34 AM
There has to be a FA RT out there that is better than Diehl and won't make near what he is due this year.
Kareem McKenzie?

Toadofsteel
01-28-2013, 08:35 AM
Kareem McKenzie?

I have to admit, I legit rofled at that...

Captain Chaos
01-28-2013, 10:02 AM
Interesting, will be interesting to watch how things play out!

GameTime
01-28-2013, 10:19 AM
ehh....
the chips will fall and we as fans will have 0 to do with it...

sit back and watch the show,,,,

JesseJames
01-28-2013, 10:48 AM
I'm very OK with letting Lawerence Tynes go.. I've always said, i just don't trust em, and he can always miss a makable FG and seems to just make alot of easy ones as well, and is terrible from deep, where i think is the only area u can really tell the diffrence from a Good kicker and a Kicker that makes only what just about every NFL kicker should make.. if we let Tynes go then who do we replace him with.

JayMas9
01-28-2013, 10:50 AM
It was informative until the blurb about Antrel Rolle playing very well was written.

Rusty192
01-28-2013, 12:56 PM
It was informative until the blurb about Antrel Rolle playing very well was written.yeah, that was unfortunate.

Buddy333
01-28-2013, 01:44 PM
Rolle should probably be their first cut.

Drez
01-28-2013, 01:51 PM
Why is it insane? His contract counts for that much because of the restructure it underwent in 2011. It has nothing to do with Rolle's "worth".Rolle was also arguably the best safety in FA that year... The year after CC Brown and crew. I agree that we overpaid him a bit, but that's just the way it goes in FA (and then the restructuring definitely doesn't help his cap hit).

Drez
01-28-2013, 01:52 PM
It was informative until the blurb about Antrel Rolle playing very well was written.I'll trust her analysis of his play over the posters here.

jomo
01-28-2013, 01:52 PM
There has to be a FA RT out there that is better than Diehl and won't make near what he is due this year.If this was meant to be funny, I get it and it is mildly amusing. ;)

If it wasn't meant as a joke, that makes it even funnier!

Buddy333
01-28-2013, 01:55 PM
If this was meant to be funny, I get it and it is mildly amusing. ;)If it wasn't meant as a joke, that makes it even funier!Then this is even funnier. Lol. This is the first time I looked at this thread since I posted this.

TheShouldersOf
01-28-2013, 02:06 PM
For all those that want Bradshaw off this team don't count on it. Yeah he makes good money. That's because he is worth it. The injuries are something they can only hope don't happen, but when he plays he is very good. Also, and so many hate to hear his, he is an excellent blocker. That is something that Brown, Scott, and Wilson can not say. Do you think the team will not have at least one good blocking back on the team? Hill is the future at Safety for this team. I think he can fill the role of KP when he is one which may be this year.

Yet we all saw the Ravens game and Bradshaw's horrid show of blocking, Likewise he had missed multiple blocks all year and didn't look as clean in protection as he had before, that is not saying he is not rated high in protection, that is saying he has been affected by injuries and lack of practice, and that wont change anytime soon, in fact it will deteriorate further

whilst Locklear was an upgrade to diehl, though i am certain they could find a better one in the draft, or maybe even Brewer or Mosley/McCants

if they don't start getting younger it will get to the point where it's too late and will have a year or two rebuilding, instead of rotating in younger guys until the whole in younger,

it's getting to the point where they draft someone to sit on the bench for multiple years and in the upcoming drafts players are getting better then past drafted players so the Giants play catch up instead of being ahead of the curve

Rusty192
01-28-2013, 02:14 PM
I'll trust her analysis of his play over the posters here.It's not exactly uncommon knowledge that Rolle was pretty bad outside of a few plays against the run.

PBTimmons
01-28-2013, 02:27 PM
Michael Boley - Seems that Coughlin and crew are done with him judging by the way he was handled at the end of this season. My magic 8 ball says he's a goner.

David Diehl - Cut. Take the cap hit and sign him for vet minimum. He's a mope but will suffice as depth. Nobody else would have this mope.

Will Beatty - Giants will try to get him on a reasonable deal. He's not exactly God's gift of Left Tackle like he is sometimes painted on these boards. above average, but often injured. Promising enough to get a better deal from another team.

Kenny Phillips - Agree that he might be offered a T2 kind of deal from the Giants as someone mentioned. He is above average, but often injured. Will he get a huge deal from other teams?

Marty Bennett - I love a guy who is vocal about his commitment to the Giants. I hope he is re-signed. 3 million per year is more than reasonable for Bennett.

Keith Rivers - Agree with PT, we have to take another chance on this guy. Should come cheap anyways.

Tynes - He will be missed but Traina is probably spot on.

ShakeandBake
01-28-2013, 02:29 PM
Yet we all saw the Ravens game and Bradshaw's horrid show of blocking,Likewise he had missed multiple blocks all year and didn't look as clean in protection as he had before, that is not saying he is not rated high in protection, that is saying he has been affected by injuries and lack of practice, and that wont change anytime soon, in fact it will deteriorate further

Absolutely false. Towards the end of the year when Bradshaw started to really wear down, yeah his pass blocking wasn't great. However he is one of the best RBs in the league in pass protection and is leaps and bounds better than any other RB on our roster when it comes to pass protection. I also don't see Bradshaw deteriorating further this year than last considering he will get less of the load.

Antwuan
01-28-2013, 02:33 PM
I follow Patricia Traina on Twitter, she definitely knows her stuff.

Good Read.

Antwuan
01-28-2013, 02:35 PM
Rolle should probably be their first cut.

Why would you want to cut the vocal leader of our Defense?

Restructure? Yes Cut? No

Rolle is too valuable to our Defense.

Drez
01-28-2013, 02:38 PM
It's not exactly uncommon knowledge that Rolle was pretty bad outside of a few plays against the run.And I'd have to say that most people don't know what the hell they're talking about most of the time, especially when analyzing the play of a guy that has had to play out of position for the better part of two seasons. I don't think he's played at an elite level, but he hasn't been nearly as bad as most you guys here make it seem.

jomo
01-28-2013, 03:13 PM
Then this is even funnier. Lol. This is the first time I looked at this thread since I posted this.LOL, it is one of those things that is visual and you either get it immediately or miss it. I can see how when you're typing, it totally escapes you. So, exactly how do you feel about Diehl? ;)

Rusty192
01-28-2013, 06:42 PM
And I'd have to say that most people don't know what the hell they're talking about most of the time, especially when analyzing the play of a guy that has had to play out of position for the better part of two seasons. I don't think he's played at an elite level, but he hasn't been nearly as bad as most you guys here make it seem.Look, I like Rolle. But to say he played well isn't very true. The whole playing out of position thing doesn't really fly because he was so poor in coverage no matter where he was placed. Not saying he completely sucks as a player, but he's the worst safety on this team.

Drez
01-28-2013, 06:52 PM
Look, I like Rolle. But to say he played well isn't very true. The whole playing out of position thing doesn't really fly because he was so poor in coverage no matter where he was placed. Not saying he completely sucks as a player, but he's the worst safety on this team.Stevie Brown, despite his interceptions, is not better than Rolle. Nor is Will Hill.

JayMas9
01-28-2013, 07:01 PM
I'll trust her analysis of his play over the posters here.There are very informed posters on this board who watch the coaches film...he is a liability in pass coverage, and take terrible angles. As a safety, those are two pretty bad things to have going against you. He blew a lot of coverage this year. He's vocal, and he's a good athlete, that's about it.

JayMas9
01-28-2013, 07:02 PM
And I'd have to say that most people don't know what the hell they're talking about most of the time, especially when analyzing the play of a guy that has had to play out of position for the better part of two seasons. I don't think he's played at an elite level, but he hasn't been nearly as bad as most you guys here make it seem.The coverage I'm talking about is when he is actually playing safety, not nickel corner.

Rusty192
01-28-2013, 07:06 PM
Stevie Brown, despite his interceptions, is not better than Rolle. Nor is Will Hill.Hill and even Brown are both significantly better in coverage than Rolle.

Rudyy
01-28-2013, 07:09 PM
Hill and even Brown are both significantly better in coverage than Rolle.Whoa...

Drez
01-28-2013, 07:12 PM
Whoa...Yeah.

ShakeandBake
01-28-2013, 07:12 PM
Hill and even Brown are both significantly better in coverage than Rolle.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-dRfQhJLXx3k/T08BQrMmObI/AAAAAAAAADc/HFdpapdX1jI/s1600/really-cmon-man.jpg

TCHOF
01-28-2013, 07:46 PM
Hill and even Brown are both significantly better in coverage than Rolle.

You have now lost all credibility on this subject.

Rusty192
01-28-2013, 08:44 PM
Rolle is a huge liability deep. He was always letting guys run free past him, taking horrible angles, etc.. KP, Hill, Stevie are all consistently better in that regard. rewatch the games. The Giants did not trust Rolle deep at all. Why do you think they had him down near the LOS so often?

Now if you wanna debate who the better tacklers are then okay.

Buddy333
01-28-2013, 08:50 PM
Why would you want to cut the vocal leader of our Defense?Restructure? Yes Cut? NoRolle is too valuable to our Defense.Lol. To valuable? Why? He was one of the worst Safeties in the league last year and don't use the excuse he played out of position. He doesn't play any position all that well.

Buddy333
01-28-2013, 08:51 PM
You have now lost all credibility on this subject.How?

drewz
01-28-2013, 09:04 PM
Take a look at the stats, Stevie Brown was better than Rolle in every category, except tackles.. which is expected because he didn't start until KP was injured. Rolle is terrible in pass coverage, which is a double negative because we have corners that can't cover for ****.

I wouldn't go far as to say Will Hill is better than Rolle, but from what I've seen.. I think he has the potential to be a great safety.

ShakeandBake
01-28-2013, 09:23 PM
Brown was toasted in coverage plenty of times last year, and Will Hill hasn't played enough to say one way or another.

Buddy333
01-28-2013, 09:24 PM
Brown was toasted in coverage plenty of times last year, and Will Hill hasn't played enough to say one way or another.Well they both make a lot less than Rolle and he gets toasted plenty.

Rusty192
01-28-2013, 11:20 PM
Brown was toasted in coverage plenty of times last year, and Will Hill hasn't played enough to say one way or another.Not even close to as many times as Rolle was. Almost every game AR was getting burned. Hill played very well in coverage at safety.

JesseJames
01-29-2013, 11:00 AM
I think the biggest problem we had at safety last year was blowing coverages and just plain being out of position, getting beat is one thing but being in the wrong place for the coverage is unacceptable...

Drez
01-29-2013, 11:02 AM
I think the biggest problem we had at safety last year was blowing coverages and just plain being out of position, getting beat is one thing but being in the wrong place for the coverage is unacceptable...With the amount that that has happened over the past few years, I tend to lay the blame for that on Fewell. If after 3 years veteran players are still having the same type of communication problems, then I tend to think that it has more to do with the coaching/play design than it being on the players.

JesseJames
01-29-2013, 05:19 PM
With the amount that that has happened over the past few years, I tend to lay the blame for that on Fewell. If after 3 years veteran players are still having the same type of communication problems, then I tend to think that it has more to do with the coaching/play design than it being on the players. I seem to remember the same thing being said by the players when Tim Lewis was DC here, they said the plays weren't being communicated properly and too many times the guys weren't sure of their coverages and I see this same thing here right now...

slipknottin
01-29-2013, 05:47 PM
Right off the bat I can tell you she doesnt know what she is talking about.

When she makes it sound like the players are being asked to restructure as if they are giving up money. Restructuring turns non-guaranteed base salary into up front guaranteed money. Why would a player not want to do that?

A restructure is completely and totally in a players favor.

If she means to ask them to take a pay cut, then say that. But a restructure is not a pay cut, at all, its the opposite.

pathas
01-29-2013, 07:20 PM
restructure is a restructure - it can go up or down in player's favor

Flip Empty
01-29-2013, 07:29 PM
restructure is a restructure - it can go up or down in player's favor
Nope, it only goes up in the player's favour. Non-guaranteed money becomes guaranteed.

pathas
01-29-2013, 07:55 PM
a player can defer a portion of his non guaranteed salary to a future year without changing what guaranteed money he has coming from the signing bonus - which is the only thing that's guaranteed, I believe. But maybe I am wrong about this. I think Brady did that last year.

slipknottin
01-29-2013, 09:46 PM
a player can defer a portion of his non guaranteed salary to a future year without changing what guaranteed money he has coming from the signing bonus - which is the only thing that's guaranteed, I believe. But maybe I am wrong about this. I think Brady did that last year.

Huh? A signing bonus is guaranteed money. You mean a player could push off getting the signing bonus for a year? How would that help the team or the player? A signing bonus is distributed through the entire contract regardless.

If you mean a player could defer his base salary, then it just makes them a far more likely release candidate in the future.

pathas
01-30-2013, 08:53 PM
Huh? A signing bonus is guaranteed money. You mean a player could push off getting the signing bonus for a year? How would that help the team or the player? A signing bonus is distributed through the entire contract regardless.

If you mean a player could defer his base salary, then it just makes them a far more likely release candidate in the future.

that's what I said - the base is not guaranteed and it can be deferred. So you're right - that would make them a far more likely release candidate in the future. Thus - that would be a restructure not in favor of the player. Flip Empty said restructures are ALWAYS in the favor of the player and I don't think I agree with that - but then I can't site any specific examples. So again - maybe I am wrong - but I think I'm right - and that's what matters.

RoanokeFan
01-30-2013, 08:58 PM
Brown was toasted in coverage plenty of times last year, and Will Hill hasn't played enough to say one way or another.

+1

Drez
01-30-2013, 08:58 PM
that's what I said - the base is not guaranteed and it can be deferred. So you're right - that would make them a far more likely release candidate in the future. Thus - that would be a restructure not in favor of the player. Flip Empty said restructures are ALWAYS in the favor of the player and I don't think I agree with that - but then I can't site any specific examples. So again - maybe I am wrong - but I think I'm right - and that's what matters. Restructure always do benefit the player. It turns non-guaranteed money into guaranateed money. Slip was just saying that if a player could defer base salary, then it would make them more likely to be released (as a cap casualty) before that money is due to them.

pathas
01-30-2013, 09:01 PM
Restructure always do benefit the player. It turns non-guaranteed money into guaranateed money. Slip was just saying that if a player could defer base salary, then it would make them more likely to be released (as a cap casualty) before that money is due to them.

so what you are saying is that a player has NEVER deferred a part of his base salary??? I don't believe it. But maybe that's true.

Drez
01-30-2013, 09:11 PM
so what you are saying is that a player has NEVER deferred a part of his base salary??? I don't believe it. But maybe that's true.Why would a player defer part of his base salary? Have you ever gone up to your boss and said, "Hey, business sucked this week, so you can give me 25% this week's pay this week two weeks from now."

slipknottin
01-30-2013, 09:14 PM
that's what I said - the base is not guaranteed and it can be deferred. So you're right - that would make them a far more likely release candidate in the future. Thus - that would be a restructure not in favor of the player. Flip Empty said restructures are ALWAYS in the favor of the player and I don't think I agree with that - but then I can't site any specific examples. So again - maybe I am wrong - but I think I'm right - and that's what matters.

Thats not a restructure then. Thats agreeing to a new contract. Restructure is only moving base salary to signing bonus.

I have never heard of any player pushing his base salary back a season. Why would a player ever agree to that unless they changed a portion of it to guaranteed money.

Drez
01-30-2013, 09:18 PM
Thats not a restructure then. Thats agreeing to a new contract. Restructure is only moving base salary to signing bonus.

I have never heard of any player pushing his base salary back a season. Why would a player ever agree to that unless they changed a portion of it to guaranteed money.Exactly. It just doesn't make sense for the player to do it.