PDA

View Full Version : We need to focus on the Oline in free agency and draft

experto
01-28-2013, 11:13 PM
The only olineman I really want back is Booth.I think there is room to upgrade the majority of the oline and also build on the depth of the oline.When looking back on why we lost some games this year,the oline is to blame on a handful of key loses.2 that stand out especially is the first eagles loss and the bengals loss where our oline just got man-handled and we really suffered from that.We need to get youth on the oline and help Eli be able to sling the ball the way he wants it.There were performances where our oline was splendid and did the job;while sometimes they didn't even show up.That is the single area where we need to improve,otherwise I will go status quo aboard and not be angry if we don't fix the lbs this year.

experto
01-28-2013, 11:13 PM
The good news is there are plenty of olineman to target in free agency this year and where we are in the draft there should be some good olineman left.

giantsfan420
01-28-2013, 11:36 PM
i agree with wanting the focus to be on the OL. but i also would like to see beatty retained as well. he was one of the best ranked lt's in all of football and did so quietly.

when eli is given the time to stand upright and make a clean throw that qbs like brady and elis brother are afforded all the time, eli is even more dangerous than those guys. he's almost as good right now and 2008 was the last time i can remember eli being given the time in the pocket of guys like brady, but my point, thiis offense is one of the best and thats with the qb making throw after throw under pressure...imagine if he wasnt under pressure...

i'd want to draft my RT in rd 1 with OT Fisher from C.Michigan, and if hes gone than Johnson from Oklahoma. if both r gone, I hope that alabama G is available and if hes gone, I trade back and get more picks or I draft the DE Asnah or Mingo

Buddy333
01-28-2013, 11:40 PM
You only want Boothe back? Beatty was great this year and is young.

experto
01-28-2013, 11:44 PM
I want to target Barrett Jones in rd2.People bring up Fluker and Warmack,and Koundajo....but Barrett Jones was the leader of that insanely good oline.He brought everybody together and played hurt in the title game.He's a leader by action on the field and is the kind of nasty lineman we need.In the first I wana get a big offensive tackle,I don't have any in mind right now,but I am sure someone will emerge after Luke Joechle.In the free agency maybe Jake Long,Volmer? Obviously one of the 2 in free agency.We can realistically solve a lot of the oline issues here.But we need to somehow land Jones,I think he can lead our oline group for a long time.I previously liked Teo in the first,but since cooled on him due to his actions. In the later rounds we can go BPA,but I think we need to go area of need in Rd 1 and 2.

Cloud57
01-28-2013, 11:47 PM
We? the Oline is not my problem

I agree though, we should draft a few Olineman :)

experto
01-28-2013, 11:49 PM
Let's be honest we have plenty of weapons on the offense in Nicks,Cruz,Randle,Wilson,Bradshaw,Bennett.What we need to do is just solidify the oline group.I was panicking over the dline performance and the lb performance earlier,but I have really zeroed in on the oline and I really pray we just target that first and fore most.Our skill positions are plenty good and on defense we have a super impact guy in JPP who will return to being dominant this year.We are not far away from another title run.

Carter.525
01-28-2013, 11:49 PM
I want to target Barrett Jones in rd2.People bring up Fluker and Warmack,and Koundajo....but Barrett Jones was the leader of that insanely good oline.He brought everybody together and played hurt in the title game.He's a leader by action on the field and is the kind of nasty lineman we need.In the first I wana get a big offensive tackle,I don't have any in mind right now,but I am sure someone will emerge after Luke Joechle.In the free agency maybe Jake Long,Volmer? Obviously one of the 2 in free agency.We can realistically solve a lot of the oline issues here.But we need to somehow land Jones,I think he can lead our oline group for a long time.I previously liked Teo in the first,but since cooled on him due to his actions. In the later rounds we can go BPA,but I think we need to go area of need in Rd 1 and 2.

Jones in the 2nd would be outstanding value..

bearbryant
01-28-2013, 11:59 PM
The O line needs a lot of help but starting with Beatty would be a better spot than Boothe. I'd only keep Boothe as a priced right value player. Beatty was pretty solid this season. I think the Giants need much better Dancing Elephants than Boothe, Diehl and Baas. Now, how much coin can the FO afford to drop on the O line is another story altogether. No question that Big Blue will be cap conscious this season!

B&RWarrior
01-29-2013, 12:03 AM
Huhhh??? Did you not see our run defense last year? Our lethargic pass rush? Resign Booth and Beatty. Chris Snee we definitely want back. Bass is a bad investment we'll have to live with b/c we gave away the farm for the bum. That only leaves RT. With Brewer up and coming, most of the pieces are there. To be honest, I want a mauler at RG to replace Booth. He's okay, but far from a dominant run blocker. This is much more to work with than on the other side of the ball. The Dline is a train wreck. JPP is the only person whose spot is safe.

Rudyy
01-29-2013, 12:04 AM
Our o line needs work..but our defense was 31st...

Captain Chaos
01-29-2013, 07:00 AM
Resigning Beatty and replacing Diehl at RT is our primary concern. If we can upgrade at Guard or Center I'm all for it, be honest moving Boothe to center would not be a bad idea and getting a Mauler Guard in the Draft would be huge!

TCHOF
01-29-2013, 07:40 AM
Huhhh??? Did you not see our run defense last year? Our lethargic pass rush? Resign Booth and Beatty. Chris Snee we definitely want back. Bass is a bad investment we'll have to live with b/c we gave away the farm for the bum. That only leaves RT. With Brewer up and coming, most of the pieces are there. To be honest, I want a mauler at RG to replace Booth. He's okay, but far from a dominant run blocker. This is much more to work with than on the other side of the ball. The Dline is a train wreck. JPP is the only person whose spot is safe.

Baas played fine last year.

Brewer is not the answer at RT.

Jonathan Lane in the first.

RoanokeFan
01-29-2013, 07:59 AM
The only olineman I really want back is Booth.I think there is room to upgrade the majority of the oline and also build on the depth of the oline.When looking back on why we lost some games this year,the oline is to blame on a handful of key loses.2 that stand out especially is the first eagles loss and the bengals loss where our oline just got man-handled and we really suffered from that.We need to get youth on the oline and help Eli be able to sling the ball the way he wants it.There were performances where our oline was splendid and did the job;while sometimes they didn't even show up.That is the single area where we need to improve,otherwise I will go status quo aboard and not be angry if we don't fix the lbs this year.

Beatty was the highest ranked Olineman on the team and ranked 4th in the NFL.

Jahh
01-29-2013, 08:31 AM
Baas played fine last year.

Brewer is not the answer at RT.

Jonathan Lane in the first.

How do you know Brewer is not the answer?

Buddy333
01-29-2013, 08:35 AM
He was pretty bad last pre season.

DarkSaint
01-29-2013, 08:50 AM
Beatty wasn't that good the year before either.but with a dominant OL, we will sustain long drives, allow the defense to rest and the come out energetic and really get after the QB.

Buddy333
01-29-2013, 08:53 AM
Beatty has been good the last two seasons.

jomo
01-29-2013, 08:56 AM
Beatty was the highest ranked Olineman on the team and ranked 4th in the NFL.Well, if other GM's go by the numbers alone, there will be a feeding frenzy for Beatty , right? Fourth best OL in the NFL (lol), why not? But if those same GM's scour tape like many of us here, we will re-sign an ordinary LT for modest money.

Let's see how this plays out, it will be intersting.

PS Re-signing an ordinary LT for modest money would not be my formula for success.

PPS Actually Beatty and Osi would make a perfect ballroom dance couple. There is not a nasty gene in either of them at this point in their careers.

RoanokeFan
01-29-2013, 09:03 AM
Well, if other GM's go by the numbers alone, there will be a feeding frenzy for Beatty , right? Fourth best OL in the NFL (lol), why not? But if those same GM's scour tape like many of us here, we will re-sign an ordinary LT for modest money.

Let's see how this plays out, it will be intersting.

PS Re-signing an ordinary LT for modest money would not be my formula for success.

PPS Actually Beatty and Osi would make a perfect ballroom dance couple. There is not a nasty gene in either of them at this point in their careers.

I no I have no clue what factors in to GMs personnel decisions but I'd like to think it's more than a roll of the dice. I'm only going by what I read. Here's what PFF had to say about offensive lines with ours excerpted.\:

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blo...fensive-lines/ (https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2013/01/28/ranking-the-2012-offensive-lines/)

Excerpt: "11. New York Giants (31)
PB – 20th, RB – 4th, PEN – 12th

Stud: Though he gets next to no praise, Will Beatty (+22.4) had a year that warranted Pro Bowl consideration. The penalties aren’t ideal, but there are not many left tackles who can keep their quarterback upright and generate movement in the run game.

Dud: It was David Diehl (-6.2) again, but the truth is he actually performed a lot better in the second half of the season compared to the liability we’ve known him to be.

Summary: A big improvement from this line, which was terrible in 2011. They made a big contribution in the running game while ensuring Eli Manning faced significantly less pressure. Still, this line is in transition to a degree with a few of players getting to that age where the cliff is approaching." Read more...

Ruttiger711
01-29-2013, 09:15 AM
Beatty was the highest ranked Olineman on the team and ranked 4th in the NFL.4th in what exactly? What is measurable in run blocking other than total yards? If that's the case that stat is as misleading as "sacks allowed" for the oline.

TCHOF
01-29-2013, 09:15 AM
How do you know Brewer is not the answer?

I don't. It's my best guess based upon what I saw last preseason. He looked like it was his first time on a football field. Hard to believe he good go from that to starting left OT in one year. I guess it's possible, but if I were Reese, I certainly wouldn't bank on it.

RoanokeFan
01-29-2013, 09:18 AM
4th in what exactly? What is measurable in run blocking other than total yards? If that's the case that stat is as misleading as "sacks allowed" for the oline.

PFF is a recognized purveyor of player stats. They rank every player in the NFL presumably using the same criteria for each player in a given position.

Flip Empty
01-29-2013, 09:24 AM
4th in what exactly? What is measurable in run blocking other than total yards? If that's the case that stat is as misleading as "sacks allowed" for the oline.
See for yourself: https://www.profootballfocus.com/about/grading/; they're very thorough.

Ruttiger711
01-29-2013, 09:42 AM
See for yourself: https://www.profootballfocus.com/about/grading/; they're very thorough.Thanks for the link - well it's seems the approach is sound, but if asked I doubt any fan on here, myself included, would put our run blocking in the top 10.

gumby74
01-29-2013, 09:54 AM
I'm more than happy that we have crap problem due to the 2 SBs, but man we could be in trouble if we don't draft well this year. But personally, I think we go Dline this year. Our oline was no where near as bad as the dline.

TCHOF
01-29-2013, 10:13 AM
I no I have no clue what factors in to GMs personnel decisions but I'd like to think it's more than a roll of the dice. I'm only going by what I read. Here's what PFF had to say about offensive lines with ours excerpted.\:

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blo...fensive-lines/ (https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2013/01/28/ranking-the-2012-offensive-lines/)

Excerpt: "11. New York Giants (31)
PB – 20th, RB – 4th, PEN – 12th

Stud: Though he gets next to no praise, Will Beatty (+22.4) had a year that warranted Pro Bowl consideration. The penalties aren’t ideal, but there are not many left tackles who can keep their quarterback upright and generate movement in the run game.

Dud: It was David Diehl (-6.2) again, but the truth is he actually performed a lot better in the second half of the season compared to the liability we’ve known him to be.

Summary: A big improvement from this line, which was terrible in 2011. They made a big contribution in the running game while ensuring Eli Manning faced significantly less pressure. Still, this line is in transition to a degree with a few of players getting to that age where the cliff is approaching." Read more...

I just hope that Beatty's agent doesn't read this!!!!!

RoanokeFan
01-29-2013, 01:14 PM
I just hope that Beatty's agent doesn't read this!!!!!

Wouldn't you think they will be armed with these numbers at negotiation time? If not, I'd change agents.

RoanokeFan
01-29-2013, 01:15 PM
I'm more than happy that we have crap problem due to the 2 SBs, but man we could be in trouble if we don't draft well this year. But personally, I think we go Dline this year. Our oline was no where near as bad as the dline.

I think the difference is we have young players who have shown promise on defense but not on offense.

BlueBlooded1979
01-29-2013, 02:33 PM
20th is pass blocking is not anywhere near acceptable for a team that lives and dies by QB play. Eli also gets rid of the ball and slides better than he used so 20th may be touch generous.

4th in the run game. Who gives a crap ? Look at the SB teams, both were great running teams but fell short until QB play and protection were improved.

I would love to see what Baas and Snee were evaluated at. Two highly paid lineman that didn't play well at all this year.

Kase-1
01-29-2013, 02:42 PM
According to profootballfocus.com Beatty was far and beyond our best OL. I know i lead the Beatty Bandwagon but the dude can flat out play when hes not catching freak injuries

myles2424
01-29-2013, 02:42 PM

Huuhh?? Brewer up & coming? Wich one of many preseason kicks in the face have you soo intrigued?

GiantRoc
01-29-2013, 03:25 PM
You only want Boothe back? Beatty was great this year and is young.

I have to believe he got the 2 confused. I'm sure he meant Beatty. However, I'd like to get Booth back too. I don't think he would ask too much, and he can play both guard spots and center in an emergency. I also wish I knew what we had in our other young O-linemen. Brewer seemed to do well on Jumbo packages. I just don't know if it can transfer to full time duty. Then we have last years picks on the practice squad. Maybe they have learned and improved. Lets not waste all our money and picks on the O-line. We have D to fix as well. A good free agent OL signing and/or a top flight draft pick is needed. NO MORE PROJECTS please.