PDA

View Full Version : Will a lack of speed hold the Giants back?

Cloud57
01-29-2013, 08:33 PM
Considering that Robert Griffin III and Chip Kelly now reside in the NFC East, the division is only getting faster.

The Giants defense struggled this past season, especially when trying to stop the run. They finished 25th against the rush. While they beat the Redskins once and held them to 17 points in their loss at Washington, Griffin rushed for 89 and 72 yards and Alfred Morris racked up 120 and 124 yards against them in both meetings against the Giants.

And during an early 19-17 loss to the Eagles, the Giants couldn’t set the edge and allowed LeSean McCoy to rush for 123 yards and Michael Vick to scramble for 49 yards during that game -- the majority of those yards coming in the second half.

It remains to be seen what Kelly’s offense will be like in the pros, but he will have McCoy and DeSean Jackson’s speed to work with.

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/giants/post/_/id/22268/five-giants-steps-back-add-speed

NYG4lifeNYK
01-29-2013, 09:15 PM
We have speed, we just need players to step up and take the next step like Jacquian Williams.

BigBlue1971
01-29-2013, 09:34 PM
this new wave of offense caught everyone off guard!

i think some d-coordinator(s) will come up with a defense to repel this!

of course speed will help in everything they do!

slipknottin
01-29-2013, 09:42 PM
Speed wasent their problem against the eagles or redskins.

Buddy333
01-29-2013, 09:54 PM
Speed wasent their problem against the eagles or redskins.This.

jomo
01-29-2013, 10:11 PM
Speed wasent their problem against the eagles or redskins.We need gnarly dudes in the trenches. Beatty, Osi etc are not gnarly.

Buddy333
01-29-2013, 10:36 PM
We need gnarly dudes in the trenches. Beatty, Osi etc are not gnarly.The OL just a couple of years ago had a nastiness to them.

slipknottin
01-29-2013, 10:39 PM
We need gnarly dudes in the trenches. Beatty, Osi etc are not gnarly.

Beatty was a tremendous run blocker. I don't know where people get this finesse thing with him. He haven't been since his rookie year.

rar57
01-30-2013, 01:04 AM
I was listening to Espn tonight and one of the nfl commentators mentioned that Baltimore was going to attack the handoff area upfield to force the qb to make a hasty decison, and not sit and read whether he hands the ball off or keeps it.

giantsfan420
01-30-2013, 01:26 AM
1- its not certain rg3 even returns. i know its more than likely he will, but there is a legit chance he wont be able to. this is his 3rd restructure of that knee, theres simply not alot of viable options to replace the cartilidge/tendons in his knee bc he's already used a graft of the same on his other knee and hip...

and with the speed element, i believe we added a ton of speed in just last yrs draft. wilson, randle, hosely...all can move. plus JJ, MB is fast for a TE, we have speed at DE (but need to replenish that) and at corner with prince...speed is the least of my concerns really. i'd rather we had every player being disciplined and maintaining responsibility for their roles

giantsfan420
01-30-2013, 01:29 AM
Beatty was a tremendous run blocker. I don't know where people get this finesse thing with him. He haven't been since his rookie year.

people dont like changing their mindsets. i have wondered why there was a dislike of beatty from actually a large % of giants fans...the guy has very good footwork, and is very athletic for a LT really. not the most athletic but certainly athletic enough. and he also plays with anger now and then altho i wish he'd display that mean streak more consistently...Beatty at LT is the least of our worries imo

GiantRoc
01-30-2013, 01:41 AM
I think we have speed in Williams and Rivers. The big key is ends setting edges and tackles clogging the middle. We haven't been doing a good job limiting running lanes. If we go too light, we will get beat up in the middle worse than last year. I still think our weakest link at this time is MLB. We don't have that fix on the team. No money for a FA. And slim to no chance a draft pick would be allowed to step in. This year will tell Fewell's story. If he has the ability to fix this defense or not.

PS. I think Beatty did a good job this season. I didn't think he was overpowered.

BlueBlooded1979
01-30-2013, 01:45 AM
I was listening to Espn tonight and one of the nfl commentators mentioned that Baltimore was going to attack the handoff area upfield to force the qb to make a hasty decison, and not sit and read whether he hands the ball off or keeps it.

If any team is going to blueprint how to stop this option it will be Baltimore. The "Wildcat" was unstoppable until Miami met Baltimore and it has been fading since.

I am not sure that it will happen in this game though. Baltimores defense isn't dominant anymore. Lewis is a shell of himself, Sizzle isn't fully recovered and Pollard can't cover.

giantsfan420
01-30-2013, 01:48 AM
I think we have speed in Williams and Rivers. The big key is ends setting edges and tackles clogging the middle. We haven't been doing a good job limiting running lanes. If we go too light, we will get beat up in the middle worse than last year. I still think our weakest link at this time is MLB. We don't have that fix on the team. No money for a FA. And slim to no chance a draft pick would be allowed to step in. This year will tell Fewell's story. If he has the ability to fix this defense or not.

PS. I think Beatty did a good job this season. I didn't think he was overpowered.this is a good post. but let me ask u, do u think if we had stellar DT play, that an avg MLB can look good? Bc to some extent, I think thats true...Im all for upgrading the MLB spot, just not with anything too valuable that could be used elsewhere. ex. like if there were a FA MLB who was a little pricey, I'd rather stay with CB and try to re-sign both nicks n cruz...or if theres a choice between a mlb and any other position of the same value on JRs big board in the first 3 rounds, I'd rather not take the MLB route

We missed Canty for most of the season and i dont think he ever really got going. his play this season reminded me of his first playing season with us after the injury when we signed him. didnt have too good a year bc he didnt catch up to the level others were at which is my theory on what happened this year with the DT's. I thought joseph did well in spurts but also kinda disappeared.

Ultimately, id rather a stout DT before a MLB bc a great DT will free up whoevers the MLB behind him...and added a great DT helps the DE's get sacsk

GiantRoc
01-30-2013, 02:23 AM
We had a lot of injuries at DT. We still don't know what we have in our new guys. Agreed that we can definitely use another solid tackle. We may have talent coming up at DE. We just don't know what what those young guys are capable of. I don't think we have the money go make a FA buy at MLB. I'd love to draft a top MLB. But would TC give him a green light to play? It would be a wasted pick to take one and not play him in a position that needs immediate fixing. I wish he would give younger guys a chance to step up more often. Chase and Herz aren't the answer. They hurt us on runs and passes.

giantsfan420
01-30-2013, 02:41 AM
We had a lot of injuries at DT. We still don't know what we have in our new guys. Agreed that we can definitely use another solid tackle. We may have talent coming up at DE. We just don't know what what those young guys are capable of. I don't think we have the money go make a FA buy at MLB. I'd love to draft a top MLB. But would TC give him a green light to play? It would be a wasted pick to take one and not play him in a position that needs immediate fixing. I wish he would give younger guys a chance to step up more often. Chase and Herz aren't the answer. They hurt us on runs and passes.another good post. agreed

Captain Chaos
01-30-2013, 06:46 AM
We had a lot of injuries at DT. We still don't know what we have in our new guys. Agreed that we can definitely use another solid tackle. We may have talent coming up at DE. We just don't know what what those young guys are capable of. I don't think we have the money go make a FA buy at MLB. I'd love to draft a top MLB. But would TC give him a green light to play? It would be a wasted pick to take one and not play him in a position that needs immediate fixing. I wish he would give younger guys a chance to step up more often. Chase and Herz aren't the answer. They hurt us on runs and passes.

I have to agree with you, but the rumor is Rivers at MLB next year... DE or CB in the first round.

Jahh
01-30-2013, 07:47 AM
I have to agree with you, but the rumor is Rivers at MLB next year... DE or CB in the first round.

Rivers isn't even under contract for next year, is he?

slipknottin
01-30-2013, 08:04 AM
If any team is going to blueprint how to stop this option it will be Baltimore. The "Wildcat" was unstoppable until Miami met Baltimore and it has been fading since.

I am not sure that it will happen in this game though. Baltimores defense isn't dominant anymore. Lewis is a shell of himself, Sizzle isn't fully recovered and Pollard can't cover.

Pollard doesn't need to cover to be successful against the option. He just needs to tackle well

Toadofsteel
01-30-2013, 08:43 AM
Speed wasent their problem against the eagles or redskins.

Offense was... specifically, we couldn't run the ball at all, and our attempts to pass were often easily disrupted, resulting in way too many three-and-outs. That says to me: DRAFT A BLOODY OFFENSIVE TACKLE IN ROUND ONE...

In all seriousness, we held Philly to 19 and the skins to 17 (they would have 20 instead if we had converted late in the game, as they had the ball). Defense is NOT the main problem with this team, no matter how much people complain about the 500 yards/game thing. Could it use some work? Yes. But it doesn't need to be blown up...

slipknottin
01-30-2013, 09:00 AM
Offense was... specifically, we couldn't run the ball at all, and our attempts to pass were often easily disrupted, resulting in way too many three-and-outs. That says to me: DRAFT A BLOODY OFFENSIVE TACKLE IN ROUND ONE...

In all seriousness, we held Philly to 19 and the skins to 17 (they would have 20 instead if we had converted late in the game, as they had the ball). Defense is NOT the main problem with this team, no matter how much people complain about the 500 yards/game thing. Could it use some work? Yes. But it doesn't need to be blown up...

I don't see how offensive tackle was the problem in any of those games.

This board has some strange offensive linemen issues. First it was Diehl is a great OT because they won two superbowls with him at LT. Then this year Beatty is a top 10 LT and somehow he is the problem.

JSpin
01-30-2013, 09:58 AM

I 100% agree with your your second sentence. Same thing happened when D coordinators figured out Vick, Cam Newton, and the wildcat after a year worth of film on them. The giants have one of the most athletic front 7s in football when we play the nickel D. JPP, Williams, Boley, Rivers etc. Back half could use a little more speed with the exception of Prince.

GiantRoc
01-30-2013, 10:05 PM

I heard that too. I wasn't sure he had the size for it. I think he has a ton of talent. Just hope he can stay on the field . If he does go to the middle, we will need s speed guy for outside again. Does Rivers have any experience in the middle?

thomasjmarino
01-30-2013, 10:13 PM

Agreed

BeatYale
01-31-2013, 01:09 AM
I'd be more concerned with lack of effort.

TomCat_FIN
01-31-2013, 01:24 AM
Michael Boley started to worry me down the road. He was probably the slowest non-lineman on the team and couldn't play in coverage at all.