PDA

View Full Version : Per Waltfootball, Giants scout overherad saying "thats my LT" about L.Johnson..

nycsportzfan
01-30-2013, 06:59 AM
Walt football mocked Lane Johnson to us at pick 20 in todays Mock and at the end of his reasonings why, he said it helps matters that a GIANTS scout was recently overheard saying "Thats my LT" referring to the athletic pass blocker from Oklahoma..

Obviously i don't know how much truth there is to this, and could mean nothing, but in draft threads, anything GIANTS goes....

Heres the Pick and stuff walt wrote...

New York Giants: Lane Johnson, OT, Oklahoma
The offensive tackle position is a mess for the Giants. Will Beatty and Sean Locklear are both free agents, while David Diehl has transformed into a human turnstile recently. This is an area that desperately needs to be addressed to keep Eli Manning from getting too banged up as he advances into his 30s.

Lane Johnson had a terrific Senior Bowl and is now in top-20 consideration. Sealing the deal here is that a Giants scout was recently overheard saying, "that's my left tackle."

penguinfarmer
01-30-2013, 07:15 AM
I've heard this story too from some other source. Lane Johnson looked very good.

TheEnigma
01-30-2013, 07:19 AM
Really like the player but I don't buy the scout saying that as any serious indicator of where we are going. For all we know, he just has Lane Johnson ranked #1 for tackles. We might as well just focus on resigning Beatty and take advantage of the fact the Ts this FA class are deep.

Kruunch
01-30-2013, 08:57 AM
Walt football mocked Lane Johnson to us at pick 20 in todays Mock and at the end of his reasonings why, he said it helps matters that a GIANTS scout was recently overheard saying "Thats my LT" referring to the athletic pass blocker from Oklahoma..

Obviously i don't know how much truth there is to this, and could mean nothing, but in draft threads, anything GIANTS goes....

The offensive tackle position is a mess for the Giants. Will Beatty and Sean Locklear are both free agents, while David Diehl has transformed into a human turnstile recently. This is an area that desperately needs to be addressed to keep Eli Manning from getting too banged up as he advances into his 30s.

Lane Johnson had a terrific Senior Bowl and is now in top-20 consideration. Sealing the deal here is that a Giants scout was recently overheard saying, "that's my left tackle."

Anyone who compares someone to LT should be kicked in the ding-ding on general principle.

And then be forced to watch LT film for a month so they know WTF they're talking about next time.

slipknottin
01-30-2013, 09:05 AM
Anyone who compares someone to LT should be kicked in the ding-ding on general principle.

And then be forced to watch LT film for a month so they know WTF they're talking about next time.

That's my left tackle, not that's my Lawrence Taylor

Carter.525
01-30-2013, 09:17 AM
I would welocme the Lane Johnson pick at #19..

PBTimmons
01-30-2013, 09:21 AM
Really like the player but I don't buy the scout saying that as any serious indicator of where we are going. For all we know, he just has Lane Johnson ranked #1 for tackles. We might as well just focus on resigning Beatty and take advantage of the fact the Ts this FA class are deep.

Spot on. Scout is probably really high on this guy but it is no indication of the direction the Giants will go in the draft. It only tells us that they like this guy and he's a possibility.

I think drafting for the O-line is an investment in the future, but a FA will almost always produce as good or better than most rookies.

Toadofsteel
01-30-2013, 09:27 AM

Some people take offense if you use the letters "LT" to refer to anything other than Taylor, whether it's Left Tackle, Ladanian Tomlinson, Lord & Taylor, Light Truck, or Looney Tunes...

Redeyejedi
01-30-2013, 09:27 AM

Lane Johnson had a terrific Senior Bowl and is now in top-20 consideration. Sealing the deal here is that a Giants scout was recently overheard saying, "that's my left tackle." That was from the Matt Miller Walt should be giving him credit for that

Mlerman17
01-30-2013, 02:57 PM
Well if it is the pick (most likely not) and we resign Beatty than we will suddenly have a a much improved oline that will be strong for years (at least at the tackle spot).

Kruunch
01-30-2013, 03:41 PM

And now that makes much more sense.

My original comment stands though. ;)

nycsportzfan
01-30-2013, 06:54 PM
Spot on. Scout is probably really high on this guy but it is no indication of the direction the Giants will go in the draft. It only tells us that they like this guy and he's a possibility.

I think drafting for the O-line is an investment in the future, but a FA will almost always produce as good or better than most rookies. Coulden't agree more.. If anything, it may or may not give us a indicator that were intrested in the player, and hes on our Short list.. Not to mention, just becuase the scout said Left Tackle, dosen't mean he coulden't play RT for a few yrs and then move to LT...

nycsportzfan
01-30-2013, 06:54 PM
That's my left tackle, not that's my Lawrence Taylorlol

myles2424
01-31-2013, 12:19 AM
So would we pay Beatty to be a LT & degrade him to RT? Or pick a Tackle in the top 20 to play RT....sounds kinda like a conflict

nycsportzfan
01-31-2013, 12:56 AM
So would we pay Beatty to be a LT & degrade him to RT? Or pick a Tackle in the top 20 to play RT....sounds kinda like a conflict Well, u could always draft Lane Johnson, play em at RT, and resign beatty, and if Beatty leaves after this contract or his play stinks where we let em go before his contracts up, u got Lane Johnson right there waiting in the wings...

giantsfan420
01-31-2013, 03:01 AM
this could also be a ploy to get teams interested in Johnson as well. who knows, maybe he's trying to create a competitive market for Johnson in hopes another OT like Fisher falls...I'd be stoked with either to be honest, either one could prob come in and be a solid starter at RT day 1

nycsportzfan
01-31-2013, 08:27 AM
this could also be a ploy to get teams interested in Johnson as well. who knows, maybe he's trying to create a competitive market for Johnson in hopes another OT like Fisher falls...I'd be stoked with either to be honest, either one could prob come in and be a solid starter at RT day 1 Ya, i doubt it.. Lane Johnson makes sense and is really good and i'm sure alot of teams would like em, and teh giants aren't gonna do anything to get Fisher up to 19.. The wholle reason there probably a bit stoked about Johnson is the fact he might be there when we pick..

I will 10000pct gurantee Eric Fisher is gone.. Unless he gets hurt from now untill the draft..

This news really dosen't mean much, but it could at lest show us that they like the player and who knows?

TheAnalyst
01-31-2013, 09:38 AM
Must resign Beatty and get a OT in the draft. Also hope Brewer / Mosely develops.

Kruunch
01-31-2013, 10:02 AM
Must resign Beatty and get a OT in the draft. Also hope Brewer / Mosely develops.

If Brewer / Mosely develops we don't need an OT in the draft except as depth down the road.

Having seen some good looks at Brewer, I wouldn't hold my breath on him. And with Mosely coming off IR, I'm not sure you can realistically expect him to get to speed that quickly (considering it took Beatty 3 years to crack the lineup).

penguinfarmer
01-31-2013, 10:04 AM
I thought McCants looked better than Mosley, but that's not saying much.

TheAnalyst
01-31-2013, 10:12 AM

McCants got cut, Mosely got put on IR. I thought they both looked like wasted picks. Brewer is my real hope. If we resign Beatty, and Brewer comes along, we may need an inside guy like Barrett Jones. To be honest, Jones sounds like a perfect fit for us, like a Young David Diehl type lineman. Very versatile. I wouldnt want to pick him at 19 though.

G-Men Surg.
01-31-2013, 12:02 PM
McCants got cut, Mosely got put on IR. I thought they both looked like wasted picks. Brewer is my real hope. If we resign Beatty, and Brewer comes along, we may need an inside guy like Barrett Jones. To be honest, Jones sounds like a perfect fit for us, like a Young David Diehl type lineman. Very versatile. I wouldnt want to pick him at 19 though.

Agree about all your points, if the Giants signed down Beatty and Brewer comes along interior linemen is the way to go. I would be thrilled if they draft Travis Frederick, keep him at LG and if or when Bass goes move Travis to the C spot. Frederick has played all thru out the interior of the Wis. line and done that very well.

slipknottin
01-31-2013, 12:26 PM

Well both mccants and Mosley are still on the roster.

As for jones being like Diehl, Diehl was a 5th round pick.

TCHOF
01-31-2013, 12:42 PM

Go back and look at the Patriots preseason game . . . . McMCants is the worst OL I have ever seen and appeared to just basically give up during the game.

TheAnalyst
01-31-2013, 01:10 PM
Well both mccants and Mosley are still on the roster.

As for jones being like Diehl, Diehl was a 5th round pick.

McCants is still on our roster? He was cut. No one else wanted him, so he is back I guess. He will get cut again. I saw absolutely nothing with him in the preseason. He looked like he never played a game of football in his life. Can he rebound, maybe, but unlikely.

Im wasn't comparing Diehl to Jones based on where they got or will get drafted. Jones played on Alabama's line which will help his draft stock big time. What I was comparing was the fact both can play every position on the line. If he is there with our #2 pick and we didnt get an OL in the first, Id draft him.

slipknottin
01-31-2013, 01:28 PM
McCants is still on our roster? He was cut. No one else wanted him, so he is back I guess. He will get cut again. I saw absolutely nothing with him in the preseason. He looked like he never played a game of football in his life. Can he rebound, maybe, but unlikely.

Im wasn't comparing Diehl to Jones based on where they got or will get drafted. Jones played on Alabama's line which will help his draft stock big time. What I was comparing was the fact both can play every position on the line. If he is there with our #2 pick and we didnt get an OL in the first, Id draft him.

Well lots of players look bad their first preseason. I'm not saying he will be better, but being cut that early into a career doesn't mean that much.

It bothers me that people over state the value of these guys. Jones is an intelligent guy, but not a great power center. Not a mauler. There isn't a ton of value in that, especially when the giants already have a fairly capable center. Put jones at guard and his lack of power is more of an issue. And his intelligence less helpful.

G-Men Surg.
01-31-2013, 03:39 PM
Well lots of players look bad their first preseason. I'm not saying he will be better, but being cut that early into a career doesn't mean that much.

It bothers me that people over state the value of these guys. Jones is an intelligent guy, but not a great power center. Not a mauler. There isn't a ton of value in that, especially when the giants already have a fairly capable center. Put jones at guard and his lack of power is more of an issue. And his intelligence less helpful.

Give me Travis Frederick in the 2nd, great value in him because he has experience playing all around the interior. Would love to have him in the 3rd but don't think he's going last. He's NFL ready to plug and play and could be the future C when Bass hits the road.

Redeyejedi
01-31-2013, 04:31 PM

It bothers me that people over state the value of these guys. Jones is an intelligent guy, but not a great power center. Not a mauler. There isn't a ton of value in that, especially when the giants already have a fairly capable center. Put jones at guard and his lack of power is more of an issue. And his intelligence less helpful.Jones is overrated on this board

penguinfarmer
01-31-2013, 11:17 PM
Go back and look at the Patriots preseason game . . . . McMCants is the worst OL I have ever seen and appeared to just basically give up during the game.

Mosley wasn't much better, if he was even better at all. He looked pitiful when they tried him out as a guard. McCants made it to the PS, but cut for CB help.

myles2424
01-31-2013, 11:34 PM
Mosley,a rookie that ended up on IR looked like a wasted pick & brewer is your real hope!?? Maybe I'm missing something but that sounds insane to me....brewer is a bum & has shown nothing to make anyone believe otherwise

Kruunch
02-01-2013, 08:46 AM
Mosley,a rookie that ended up on IR looked like a wasted pick & brewer is your real hope!?? Maybe I'm missing something but that sounds insane to me....brewer is a bum & has shown nothing to make anyone believe otherwise

I agree. At best, we haven't seen enough of Mosely to know one way or the other. Same could be said of Brewer but after two years, that's a bit telling.

Redeyejedi
02-01-2013, 09:07 AM
I agree. At best, we haven't seen enough of Mosely to know one way or the other. Same could be said of Brewer but after two years, that's a bit telling. Brewer looked like a 2 year project to me when they drafted him. If he doesnt get on the field this year than most likely he is just a back up. He was a 4th rounder though so thats not really the end of the world.

Redeyejedi
02-01-2013, 09:11 AM

Im wasn't comparing Diehl to Jones based on where they got or will get drafted. Jones played on Alabama's line which will help his draft stock big time. What I was comparing was the fact both can play every position on the line. If he is there with our #2 pick and we didnt get an OL in the first, Id draft him. Mccants had awful technique in college.It was known coming in he was a total project and was most likely a PS guy. he did worse than I thought but I still liked the pick. He had real good measurements it was worth take a shot on trying to coach him up

PBTimmons
02-01-2013, 09:16 AM
Mccants had awful technique in college.It was known coming in he was a total project and was most likely a PS guy. he did worse than I thought but I still liked the pick. He had real good measurements it was worth take a shot on trying to coach him up

Although he ended up being a free agent, James Brown of Troy was a guy who I would've had over McCants. Brown's fall is puzzling considering he started 3 games at Guard this season for CHI.

Agreed though, its too early to tell for many of these guys but the draft could be very telling in regard to Reese's feeling of where these guys are at.

Redeyejedi
02-01-2013, 09:22 AM
Although he ended up being a free agent, James Brown of Troy was a guy who I would've had over McCants. Brown's fall is puzzling considering he started 3 games at Guard this season for CHI.

Agreed though, its too early to tell for many of these guys but the draft could be very telling in regard to Reese's feeling of where these guys are at.I guess they wanted a tackle, not sure

juice33s
02-01-2013, 02:00 PM

Agreed though, its too early to tell for many of these guys but the draft could be very telling in regard to Reese's feeling of where these guys are at.
Scouts from three organizations told the Chicago Tribune that rookie G/T James Brown was removed from their draft boards due to off-field issues.
http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2012-05-12/sports/ct-spt-0513-bits-bears-chicago--20120513_1_james-brown-draft-boards-mel-kiper

Kruunch
02-01-2013, 02:06 PM
Brewer looked like a 2 year project to me when they drafted him. If he doesnt get on the field this year than most likely he is just a back up. He was a 4th rounder though so thats not really the end of the world.

Agreed, although after this past preseason he looked closer to a 10 year project.

nycsportzfan
02-02-2013, 06:46 AM
Mccants had awful technique in college.It was known coming in he was a total project and was most likely a PS guy. he did worse than I thought but I still liked the pick. He had real good measurements it was worth take a shot on trying to coach him up Also very athletic.. Athletic OT's with LT potential tend to get picked even with shoddy Technique because u can coach Technique, but not measurables and size(sound familiar??lol)

People dissing James Brewer are clueless at the kinda potential he has.. He came in as a guy we all knew needed at least 2 seasons of being coached up in the technique area of his game, and gathering expiernece, and now we come into YR3.. Now if he does nothing this yr, its safe to say hes a bust, but i for one, am far from thinking that yet.. I loved the pick, and a kid whos 6ft 6in 330lbs and can move his feet like he does with them long arms and athletic ability , is worth the wait in my book.. Again, this is the yr though.. if he does nothing this yr, i could deal with people saying hes a bust...

Redeyejedi
02-02-2013, 11:15 AM
Agreed, although after this past preseason he looked closer to a 10 year project.LOL yeah

wideright91
02-05-2013, 11:03 PM
So would we pay Beatty to be a LT & degrade him to RT? Or pick a Tackle in the top 20 to play RT....sounds kinda like a conflict

Wait, WHAT!? We're switching to a 3-4 and BEATTY is going to play LT's old spot at rush linebacker!? WTF is wrong with our front office!?! OH NO!

penguinfarmer
02-06-2013, 07:52 AM
You tried too hard.

Kruunch
02-06-2013, 09:03 AM
Also very athletic.. Athletic OT's with LT potential tend to get picked even with shoddy Technique because u can coach Technique, but not measurables and size(sound familiar??lol)

People dissing James Brewer are clueless at the kinda potential he has.. He came in as a guy we all knew needed at least 2 seasons of being coached up in the technique area of his game, and gathering expiernece, and now we come into YR3.. Now if he does nothing this yr, its safe to say hes a bust, but i for one, am far from thinking that yet.. I loved the pick, and a kid whos 6ft 6in 330lbs and can move his feet like he does with them long arms and athletic ability , is worth the wait in my book.. Again, this is the yr though.. if he does nothing this yr, i could deal with people saying hes a bust...

So in other words, people are clueless .... unless they were right.

Good call. :rolleyes:

Redeyejedi
02-06-2013, 10:20 AM
Agreed, although after this past preseason he looked closer to a 10 year project. I didnt see him much playing at UAB I only could find the 1 game of him to cut. I might of saw him play 3 times in 2011. I had 1 2010 game cut

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zn3y2-LW5h4 U can see he is athletic but a complete mess this is as a Junior 2

nycsportzfan
02-06-2013, 10:54 AM
So in other words, people are clueless .... unless they were right.

Good call. :rolleyes: No, another words people are clueless for talking cr-ap about guys who always were gonna be a work in progress and take a couple yrs to develop and wait for a legit opening to exist before getting a real chance... I take it with a grain of salt, because i know the people who diss Brewer obviously have no clue what kinda prospect he was, and the fact he was always a developmental prospect.. Anyone who followed the draft that yr, knows this.. Its not a secret...

Kruunch
02-06-2013, 10:58 AM
No, another words people are clueless for talking cr-ap about guys who always were gonna be a work in progress and take a couple yrs to develop and wait for a legit opening to exist before getting a real chance... I take it with a grain of salt, because i know the people who diss Brewer obviously have no clue what kinda prospect he was, and the fact he was always a developmental prospect.. Anyone who followed the draft that yr, knows this.. Its not a secret...

First of all, I object to your use of the word "clueless" to describe people who don't agree with you. I've seen you post enough to know you're as full of **** as anyone else on these boards.

Second, I'm basing my opinion solely on his NFL training camps and preseason play over the past two years. Not what he did as a junior three years ago.

Third, what I saw in this preseason wasn't a project ... it was a big guy who couldn't get out of his own way. No athleticism. No skill. Just a big body that was fairly easy to get around. To say he's a "project" at this point would be overly kind.

P.S. - I follow the draft every year and follow up with the players we choose and my only thought of when we drafted Brewer was it was a positional pick we needed of a player who could be best described as "meh".