PDA

View Full Version : Salary cap ramifications of cutting players

slipknottin
01-31-2013, 06:27 PM
Been doing some calculations. This is using the numbers available to the public, Im sure some are in reality quite a bit different, but here goes.

Im going to start with the higher value contracts, that means nobody who makes less than 5 mil a season.

Remember dead money is money that counts against the cap and is not available to be used. Also remember players in their last year can not be restructured. You can ask them to take a pay cut.

Players whose contracts expire at the end of 2013.

Tuck
Keeping next season = $5.8 mil cap hit
Releasing before next season = savings of 4 mil
Dead money = $1.8 mil

Diehl
Keeping next season = $7.825
Releasing before next season = savings of 4.825 mil
Dead money = $3 mil

Boley
Keeping next season = $5.9
Releasing before next season = savings of 4.5 mil
Dead money = $1.4 mil

Webster
Keeping next season = $11.475
Releasing before next season = savings of 9.975
Dead money = $2.375

Contracts expire end of 2014.

Bradshaw
keeping this season = $5 mil
keeping next season = $5.25 mil
releasing before this season = savings of 1.25 (no cap hit after 2013, so would save full 5.25 in 2014)
releasing after next season = savings of 4 mil
dead space releasing before this season = 2.5 mil
dead space releasing after next season = 1.25

Rolle
keeping this season = $10 mil
keeping next season = $10 mil
releasing before this season = savings of 1 mil (no cap hit after 2013, so would save full $10 mil in 2014)
releasing after next season = savings of 4 mil
dead space releasing before this season = 6 mil
dead space releasing after next season = 3 mil

Snee
keeping this season = $7.95 mil
keeping next season = $8.95 mil
releasing before this season = savings of 3.45 (no cap hit after 2013, so would save full 8.95 mil in 2014)
releasing after next season = savings of 6.7
dead space releasing before this season = 4.5
dead space releasing after next season = 2.25

If there are any other players you want me to go through let me know. Hopefully this gives some idea.

Toadofsteel
01-31-2013, 06:29 PM
Holy **** Webster...

slipknottin
01-31-2013, 06:32 PM
Holy **** Webster...

Webster and Rolle are the two I am not that sure about, they both supposedly restructured last season.

I have to double check the math on them

Toadofsteel
01-31-2013, 06:32 PM
What about Baas?

Toadofsteel
01-31-2013, 06:34 PM
Oh and Carr too

Captain Chaos
01-31-2013, 06:35 PM
Well the Cap Casualties are obvious....

slipknottin
01-31-2013, 06:37 PM
Alright, Baas is going to have 3 different ones, since his contract is not up until the end of 2015.

Keeping this season = $6.725
Keeping next season = $7.225
Keeping season after = $7.475

Releasing this season = Savings of 100k
Releasing next season = savings of 2.225 mil
Releasing season after = savings of 5.25 mil

Dead space cutting this season = 6.675
Dead space cutting next season = 4.45
Dead space cutting season after = 2.25

slipknottin
01-31-2013, 06:38 PM
Oh and Carr too

Carr is a free agent this season, not under contract in 2013.

Drez
01-31-2013, 06:48 PM
Oh and Carr tooCarr is a FA and was on a vet min contract. I think he might have gotten a very small signing bonus, though.

evojutsu
01-31-2013, 06:49 PM
Diehl, Boley, Webster all must restructure- or we cut them. Diehl should be making 1-2 million, seriously his play has really declined. Boley could be cut but we have no one else, i say his contract should be 1-2 million. Webster restructure to 1-2million. If we restructure well, that money we save should be used to sign Victor Cruz- we can free up to 10+ million in cap with proper restructuring or cutting these players.

evojutsu
01-31-2013, 06:49 PM
How about Canty?

Drez
01-31-2013, 06:52 PM
Diehl, Boley, Webster all must restructure- or we cut them. Diehl should be making 1-2 million, seriously his play has really declined. Boley could be cut but we have no one else, i say his contract should be 1-2 million. Webster restructure to 1-2million. If we restructure well, that money we save should be used to sign Victor Cruz- we can free up to 10+ million in cap with proper restructuring or cutting these players.Restructuring is different from re-doing/re-negotiating.

slipknottin
01-31-2013, 06:52 PM
Diehl, Boley, Webster all must restructure- or we cut them.

As I said, you can not restructure players with 1 year left on their deals.

Restructuring is converting base salary to a signing bonus to spread the cap hit through the entirety of the contract. Have no where to spread the cap hit with players who have only 1 year remaining.

Now they could ask them to take a pay cut.

slipknottin
01-31-2013, 06:56 PM
How about Canty?

Knew I forgot someone.

Lets see here.

Keeping this season = 8.2 mil
Keeping next season = 8.4 mil
Releasing this season = Savings of 4.2 mil
Releasing after next season = Savings of 6.4 mil
Dead money releasing this season = 4 mil
Dead money releasing after next season = 2 mil

Drez
01-31-2013, 07:01 PM
Now they could ask them to take a pay cut. Which is something players won't do 99% of the time. They have to be pretty certain that they'll be cut (and know that cutting them won't create a lot of dead money, either) before agreeing to a lower salary.

ELI_HOF_NYG
01-31-2013, 07:05 PM
http://www.rantsports.com/nfl/2013/01/23/potential-cap-casualties-for-new-york-giants/

Drez
01-31-2013, 07:09 PM
http://www.rantsports.com/nfl/2013/01/23/potential-cap-casualties-for-new-york-giants/The only thing in that article that makes any sense is Boley being a casualty. Webster won't be getting cut. Even though he makes more money than his production this past season, we do not have a replacement for him. Eli isn't going to be asked to take a pay cut, either.

ELI_HOF_NYG
01-31-2013, 07:11 PM
The only thing in that article that makes any sense is Boley being a casualty. Webster won't be getting cut. Even though he makes more money than his production this past season, we do not have a replacement for him. Eli isn't going to be asked to take a pay cut, either.

the only people with real answers are unfortunately the FO,,anything on here is purely speculation,,who knows who comes or goes.

slipknottin
01-31-2013, 07:15 PM
Eli isn't going to be asked to take a pay cut, either.

Eli's contract is going to be fairly crippling for the team. Well over 20 million in cap room the next 3 seasons.

And they cant keep restructuring him or that money keeps back loading the contract.

I dont know what they plan on doing with him, but if they expect he plays another 5+ years, they might want to resign/extend him. Could give him additional years while giving him more actual money, but lower the cap hit.

Drez
01-31-2013, 07:19 PM
Eli's contract is going to be fairly crippling for the team. Well over 20 million in cap room the next 3 seasons.

And they cant keep restructuring him or that money keeps back loading the contract.

I dont know what they plan on doing with him, but if they expect he plays another 5+ years, they might want to resign/extend him. Could give him additional years while giving him more actual money, but lower the cap hit.
The restructure he did last year really hurt his cap number for the next few years. However, I don't think that the FO is going to ask Eli to take a straight pay cut anytime soon. I'm sure they'll try and find some way to lower his cap number, though.

The FO is going to have to be very judicious with contracts over the next few years.

slipknottin
01-31-2013, 07:24 PM
The FO is going to have to be very judicious with contracts over the next few years.

Not really. Almost all the big contracts on the team are going to be ending after this season or next.

Any young players who get contracts can simply backload deals like they usually do and the giants should be in good shape.

This year is going to be difficult, but it should get substantially easier going forward. Apart from Eli's contract.

jomo
01-31-2013, 07:45 PM
Oh and Carr tooPennies to be saved, if that, on Carr.

jomo
01-31-2013, 07:48 PM
Thanks Slip for the useful information.
Everyone you listed needs to be either restructured or released with the possible exception of Baas this year (no savings).
So there really is alot of room for us inside the cap.
JR has the easiest job in the world, lol.
All kidding aside, those contracts do provide us a good opportunity to free up some space to make moves on the OL, DL and LB.

bigbluetribe
01-31-2013, 09:21 PM
If that doesnt send a shock wave I dont know what does. Those guys could save us a boat load of money and Im sure we could replace them for like a fifth of what we would save. You can not tell me that all those 2013 guys should go. Every 2014 guy should restructure for sure. Why does it always seem like we are the only decent/good team that gives the worst contracts. You dont see the steelers or patriots have these issues

bigbluetribe
01-31-2013, 09:34 PM
Thanks Slip for the useful information.
Everyone you listed needs to be either restructured or released with the possible exception of Baas this year (no savings).
So there really is alot of room for us inside the cap.
JR has the easiest job in the world, lol.
All kidding aside, those contracts do provide us a good opportunity to free up some space to make moves on the OL, DL and LB.
Could not agree more, he has all the ability in the world to cut fat and not screw the team over. We arent talking heart and sould. Rolle I say keep but everyone else mostly can go without losing production. If anything we need changes. I dont get this FO, Fewell has ranked 27 and 31 last two years, how are he and these same players still here...

slipknottin
01-31-2013, 09:46 PM
If that doesnt send a shock wave I dont know what does. Those guys could save us a boat load of money and Im sure we could replace them for like a fifth of what we would save. You can not tell me that all those 2013 guys should go. Every 2014 guy should restructure for sure. Why does it always seem like we are the only decent/good team that gives the worst contracts. You dont see the steelers or patriots have these issues

Every team that keeps its players around has these issues. Also every team that spends on FAs has these issues.

drewz
01-31-2013, 09:58 PM
How is Webster making 11? His cap hit for next year is listed at 9.4 mill?

slipknottin
01-31-2013, 10:30 PM
How is Webster making 11? His cap hit for next year is listed at 9.4 mill?

He restructured in 2011, supposedly. His base salary that year should have been 8, but it was 5 instead.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&ved=0CDUQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fespn.go.com%2Fblog%2Fnew-york%2Fgiants%2Fpost%2F_%2Fid%2F5954%2Fwebster-and-rolle-alter-contracts&ei=fSgLUZ_fKezh0wH3woFo&usg=AFQjCNGMhkCXFFVRkxv3zO-Y5xe_WqxSiA&sig2=KE6mESQUckLD3AOkIk8MxA&bvm=bv.41867550,d.dmQ

It might be that his cap hit is 9.9 million instead of 11.
In which case releasing him would save approx 8 mil.
And dead money of about 2 mil.

TextureDj
01-31-2013, 10:44 PM
As I said, you can not restructure players with 1 year left on their deals.

Restructuring is converting base salary to a signing bonus to spread the cap hit through the entirety of the contract. Have no where to spread the cap hit with players who have only 1 year remaining.

Now they could ask them to take a pay cut.The CBA allows for them to re sign to a longer contract in effect giving room to restructure though right? Sort of obvious but how exactly does that effect dead money?

Those signing bonuses are due no matter what right? Just a hypothetical if Carr had 1M in dead money and 1M in salary due this upcoming season being his last year. they can void his old contract and sign him to a new deal for 2 years @ 2M a year with no signing bonus, keeping the same overall salary for the coming year and the one to follow but what would happen to that 1mil signing bonus that was part of his previous contact?

The way I understand it there is no way out of that 1M right? Even if he takes a pay cut and keeps it at the first, shorter contract term all they can cut is the 1M salary? I think this is right but you are more an authority that I am.

Toadofsteel
01-31-2013, 11:22 PM
Honestly, unless Webster bounces back a lot next year, I'd almost trust Hosley starting across from Prince than Webster... get a few draftees for depth and we'd be set. Wouldn't be the prettiest secondary ever, but it would work, and that alone would free up the money to sign Cruz and maybe even another FA...

slipknottin
02-01-2013, 08:41 AM
The CBA allows for them to re sign to a longer contract in effect giving room to restructure though right? Sort of obvious but how exactly does that effect dead money?

Those signing bonuses are due no matter what right? Just a hypothetical if Carr had 1M in dead money and 1M in salary due this upcoming season being his last year. they can void his old contract and sign him to a new deal for 2 years @ 2M a year with no signing bonus, keeping the same overall salary for the coming year and the one to follow but what would happen to that 1mil signing bonus that was part of his previous contact?

The way I understand it there is no way out of that 1M right? Even if he takes a pay cut and keeps it at the first, shorter contract term all they can cut is the 1M salary? I think this is right but you are more an authority that I am.

If they void the first contract then there will be a $1 mil dead money hit.

Theoretically they could extend him another year and not give him a new signing bonus but split that 1 mil between both years. So $500k cap hit each year. But of course you would need to give him a base salary as well. So it won't help in a lot of cases.

But what they did with Osi was give him a signing bonus of like $6 mil and gave him an extra voidable year. So Osi has a 3 mil dead cap hit this season despite his contract being voided

Redeyejedi
02-01-2013, 08:54 AM
Honestly, unless Webster bounces back a lot next year, I'd almost trust Hosley starting across from Prince than Webster... get a few draftees for depth and we'd be set. Wouldn't be the prettiest secondary ever, but it would work, and that alone would free up the money to sign Cruz and maybe even another FA... I dont think Hosley can be a starter in the NFL outside.I think they need to draft another corner in the First 3 Rounds

Mercury
02-01-2013, 09:33 AM
I think it would be a good idea to pin this information in the forum to be referred to throughout the off season, as I expect we will continue to see threads about who we should cut, and what it will cost.

shane4177
02-01-2013, 11:51 AM
I honestly don't see guys like Diehl/Webby/Tuck staying unless they take the pay cut. Low production one year is understandable/justified if there is an injury involved, or maybe a scheme change due to new coaching staff. But multiple years.........its like how long do you hold onto the old PC before its time to get a newer more updated one....just an example.

Kruunch
02-01-2013, 11:56 AM
He restructured in 2011, supposedly. His base salary that year should have been 8, but it was 5 instead.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&ved=0CDUQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fespn.go.com%2Fblog%2Fnew-york%2Fgiants%2Fpost%2F_%2Fid%2F5954%2Fwebster-and-rolle-alter-contracts&ei=fSgLUZ_fKezh0wH3woFo&usg=AFQjCNGMhkCXFFVRkxv3zO-Y5xe_WqxSiA&sig2=KE6mESQUckLD3AOkIk8MxA&bvm=bv.41867550,d.dmQ

It might be that his cap hit is 9.9 million instead of 11.
In which case releasing him would save approx 8 mil.
And dead money of about 2 mil.

It's $9.975. Dead money is almost $3.

ryan12
02-01-2013, 12:03 PM
thanks slip great work

i say cut diehl canty tuck webster and boley that would free up about 28mil in cap space. bring in some free agents and sign key guys from our team

slipknottin
02-01-2013, 12:05 PM
It's $9.975. Dead money is almost $3.

How would his dead money be almost 3? Unless you have the specific contract details...

shane4177
02-01-2013, 12:30 PM
thanks slip great work

i say cut diehl canty tuck webster and boley that would free up about 28mil in cap space. bring in some free agents and sign key guys from our team

Me likey.....+1!

Toadofsteel
02-01-2013, 12:45 PM
thanks slip great work

Damn... that's actually a lot of loot. Pick up an OT, a CB, and a DT with our first three picks and you might not even notice they were gone...

ryan12
02-01-2013, 01:34 PM
Damn... that's actually a lot of loot. Pick up an OT, a CB, and a DT with our first three picks and you might not even notice they were gone...

right and lock up jpp cruz and beatty

Kruunch
02-01-2013, 02:03 PM
How would his dead money be almost 3? Unless you have the specific contract details...

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/new-york-giants/corey-webster/

Google is your friend.

And I should clarify ... it would be more like $2.75 in dead money. 250k of that "Misc Bonus" is a work out bonus (standard for Giants contracts (and also listed)).

slipknottin
02-01-2013, 02:08 PM
http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/new-york-giants/corey-webster/

Google is your friend.

And I should clarify ... it would be more like $2.75 in dead money. 250k of that "Misc Bonus" is a work out bonus (standard for Giants contracts (and also listed)).

No. We don't know what that misc bonus is. It could be a roster bonus, in which case if they release him it disappears as well

Kruunch
02-01-2013, 02:12 PM
No. We don't know what that misc bonus is. It could be a roster bonus, in which case if they release him it disappears as well

True ... I have no problem saying he's worth $2 - $3 million in dead money.

Either way, the cost for cutting him and signing a new FA to take his place is almost a wash against just keeping him for 2013, realistically speaking.

And either way, we'd need to target a CB in this draft.

slipknottin
02-01-2013, 02:16 PM
True ... I have no problem saying he's worth $2 - $3 million in dead money.

Either way, the cost for cutting him and signing a new FA to take his place is almost a wash against just keeping him for 2013, realistically speaking.

And either way, we'd need to target a CB in this draft.

Not at all. They could save 8+ million off the cap by releasing him.

A new contract they give out to a mid tier CB could cost them substantially less than 8+ million.

Cowboys signed the top FA corner last year in Carr, and he only cost them $3.2 mil against the cap.

drewz
02-01-2013, 02:28 PM
I don't think it's smart at all to release Tuck. He's in a contract year, and only costs about 5 million. So he should play better than last year. With Bernard not being re-signed and getting old as well, we're only down to LJ at DT, unless they plan of drafting Star Lotulelei, I say keep Canty as well.

Release Rolle, Webster and Diehl get rid of the worst players taking up the most space.

Kruunch
02-01-2013, 02:49 PM
Not at all. They could save 8+ million off the cap by releasing him.

A new contract they give out to a mid tier CB could cost them substantially less than 8+ million.

Cowboys signed the top FA corner last year in Carr, and he only cost them $3.2 mil against the cap.

Dude c'mon now ... Brandon Carr's cap hit THIS year is $16+ million. If you're going to throw up an example, try throwing up a realistic one ... not a Jerry Jones fantasy contract destined to ruin his team for another decade.

Yes the Giants could pursue FA for a CB and make it work if all sides agree and cut CWeb. It's in the realm of possibility. My only point is that it's not in the realm of *probability*. That's all.

slipknottin
02-01-2013, 02:52 PM
Dude c'mon now ... Brandon Carr's cap hit THIS year is $16+ million. If you're going to throw up an example, try throwing up a realistic one ... not a Jerry Jones fantasy contract destined to ruin his team for another decade.

Yes the Giants could pursue FA for a CB and make it work if all sides agree and cut CWeb. It's in the realm of possibility. My only point is that it's not in the realm of *probability*. That's all.

My point isn't that the giants can sign the top FA. My point is the giants could sign a mid tier CB and structure the deal so this year it only costs them a few million. Cut webster, sign mid tier CB, save possibly 5+ mil off the salary cap.

When the contract goes into its higher numbers is the same time most of the giants larger contracts expire. Making the increasing money not as big of a concern.

TextureDj
02-01-2013, 10:01 PM
If they void the first contract then there will be a $1 mil dead money hit.

Theoretically they could extend him another year and not give him a new signing bonus but split that 1 mil between both years. So $500k cap hit each year. But of course you would need to give him a base salary as well. So it won't help in a lot of cases.

But what they did with Osi was give him a signing bonus of like $6 mil and gave him an extra voidable year. So Osi has a 3 mil dead cap hit this season despite his contract being voidedOk, thats what I was getting at, they can extend the contract without creating a new contract. So in the case of a player they want to kepp long term, like Eli it canhelp to a degree lessen the impact of previous restructures. Providint the player isn't looking for a big raise.

giant-4-life
02-01-2013, 11:59 PM
Holy **** Webster...

+1. my exact thoughts.based on how he got burned..let's deal with the dead money.... more upside to that

ELI_HOF_NYG
02-02-2013, 12:07 AM
at this point we damned if we do and damned if we don't.

Redeyejedi
02-02-2013, 12:16 AM

Yes the Giants could pursue FA for a CB and make it work if all sides agree and cut CWeb. It's in the realm of possibility. My only point is that it's not in the realm of *probability*. That's all.Yeah but say they sign Starter at 5 years 30 millions and spread the hits out evenly. They still save 2 million in cap space and upgrade the spot with a younger corner

slipknottin
02-02-2013, 10:30 AM
Ok, thats what I was getting at, they can extend the contract without creating a new contract. So in the case of a player they want to kepp long term, like Eli it canhelp to a degree lessen the impact of previous restructures. Providint the player isn't looking for a big raise.

Right. That's why I keep saying they should extend Eli. They can give him a base of $12 mil. Maybe guarantee some of it, and it would drop his cap hit from 20+ to more like 15-17. Saving them a good amount of money. Maybe they could get away with a base of even less if they guarantee enough. Maybe 10. Save themselves like 5 mil in cap room a season, all the while Eli doesn't ever take an actual pay cut.

Harooni
02-02-2013, 04:34 PM
thank you for the work slip , i was too lazy to do it. You have to sometimes make tough cuts, the giants seem to just stick with what they know which imo is wrong. Make the cuts free up room for the future, do not leave us tight and without real starting linebackers and half an oline again.

gmen0820
02-02-2013, 05:07 PM
We should give Mike Jenkins a shot. 1-2 years at a modest salary.

slipknottin
02-02-2013, 11:36 PM
Thought I would add what releasing T2 this season will do, which is all but guaranteed.

Savings of 2.25 mil on the cap, dead space of 750k.

drewz
02-02-2013, 11:46 PM
n/m.. I underestimated T2's cap hit for next year.. For some reason I thought he was making over $4 million next year

Still.. I don't think the Giants cap situation is all that bad as people are making it out to be.

slipknottin
02-02-2013, 11:47 PM
Also Jacobs $2 mil dead money clears.

Drez
02-02-2013, 11:51 PM
n/m.. I underestimated T2's cap hit for next year.. For some reason I thought he was making over $4 million next year

Still.. I don't think the Giants cap situation is all that bad as people are making it out to be. Yeah he's due a $6m roster bonus, but capwise it gets spread out over the length of the contract, so next season the bonus would only account for $2m.

slipknottin
02-02-2013, 11:53 PM
Clint Sintims dead money hit of 400k also clears.

Then he will be off the books completely.

Giants have a rollover of roughly 1 mil as well.

And we dont know what the cap will be for next season yet, though its projected to be about the same.

drewz
02-03-2013, 12:05 AM
Yeah he's due a $6m roster bonus, but capwise it gets spread out over the length of the contract, so next season the bonus would only account for $2m.

IIRC, theres only the $1 million signing bonus that's fully guaranteed. That would be the $750K cap hit. If he isn't cut, everything gets fully guaranteed

blueribbon
02-03-2013, 01:41 PM
Webster should pay us to be on the team.

gmen0820
02-03-2013, 03:02 PM
We should get Sintim back and convert to a 3-4. Sintim could be our Von Miller.

#PostsThatWouldInfuriateSlip

slipknottin
02-06-2013, 12:12 PM
Turns out I screwed up ALL of this years savings for everyone with more than one year left.

I added both signing bonuses in for this year and next. When in reality they are paying this years signing bonus either way. So I should have just done base minus one years signing bonus.

Plus as Garafolo noted, teams could defer the payment on signing bonuses. They don't have to hit all the current year, the teams can spread them out

Kruunch
02-06-2013, 12:25 PM
Plus as Garafolo noted, teams could defer the payment on signing bonuses. They don't have to hit all the current year, the teams can spread them out

I'll be the bigger man and won't take you to "I Told You So" land. :D

slipknottin
02-06-2013, 12:30 PM
I'll be the bigger man and won't take you to "I Told You So" land. :D

If you are talking about the team actually paying the player then no. It's all up front. I'm just talking about the signing bonus for the salary cap.

Kruunch
02-06-2013, 12:39 PM
If you are talking about the team actually paying the player then no. It's all up front. I'm just talking about the signing bonus for the salary cap.

Yeah I was talking about cap hit. I could care less when the player actually gets the money ;)

slipknottin
02-06-2013, 12:41 PM
Yeah I was talking about cap hit. I could care less when the player actually gets the money ;)

Yea. I had always heard they could possibly do this just didn't get it confirmed. I'm still not sure how it works. If they can just defer it back to the original contract length.

For instance cut a guy with a 5 year contract in his second year could they defer it for the remaining 3 years? Or only for 2 of it?

PBTimmons
02-06-2013, 01:13 PM
Slip, I saw your convo with Mike G on twitter. You thinking about updating your original post with your recent enlightenment? It could help all of us GM Lay-people.

slipknottin
02-06-2013, 01:30 PM
Slip, I saw your convo with Mike G on twitter. You thinking about updating your original post with your recent enlightenment? It could help all of us GM Lay-people.

I will. It's just a pain to do it on my phone while I'm at work.

Kruunch
02-06-2013, 01:34 PM
Yea. I had always heard they could possibly do this just didn't get it confirmed. I'm still not sure how it works. If they can just defer it back to the original contract length.

For instance cut a guy with a 5 year contract in his second year could they defer it for the remaining 3 years? Or only for 2 of it?

Not sure but part of it can be contractual.

For instance the Eagles didn't cut Vick, which means he gets his $3 mill roster bonus. However the roster bonus is a collective agreement, meaning that if he goes to another team and gets more than $3 mill, then the Eagles are off the hook for it.

Not exactly the same thing but you get the idea. I've heard both ways on signing bonuses ... cap hit prorated over two years after cut and over the original life of the contract. I haven't been able to confirm either way.

slipknottin
02-06-2013, 01:40 PM
Not sure but part of it can be contractual.

For instance the Eagles didn't cut Vick, which means he gets his $3 mill roster bonus. However the roster bonus is a collective agreement, meaning that if he goes to another team and gets more than $3 mill, then the Eagles are off the hook for it.

Not exactly the same thing but you get the idea. I've heard both ways on signing bonuses ... cap hit prorated over two years after cut and over the original life of the contract. I haven't been able to confirm either way.

Well I don't think it would be contractual because it doesn't really concern the player at all. Just how the team handles the salary cap. I think they get to make the decision when releasing a player how they want that signing bonus handled.

But for now, I'm just going to assume that all future signing bonus prorates and hits the season the player is released. Won't be always right, but it should be pretty accurate for our needs

Kruunch
02-06-2013, 01:57 PM
Well I don't think it would be contractual because it doesn't really concern the player at all. Just how the team handles the salary cap. I think they get to make the decision when releasing a player how they want that signing bonus handled.

But for now, I'm just going to assume that all future signing bonus prorates and hits the season the player is released. Won't be always right, but it should be pretty accurate for our needs

http://www.askthecommish.com/SalaryCap/faq.aspx

Point # 1.7e

If that's correct, then the remaining signing bonus that was prorated is counted against the cap the year the player is cut.

However, I have heard of instances where this number is spread out farther and I believe THAT is contractual (i.e. what's in the particular contract details).

Giants5699
02-06-2013, 01:59 PM
Bye Bye Bradshaw, Boley, Diehl, Tuck, and Webster.

slipknottin
02-06-2013, 02:01 PM
http://www.askthecommish.com/SalaryCap/faq.aspx

Point # 1.7e

If that's correct, then the remaining signing bonus that was prorated is counted against the cap the year the player is cut.

However, I have heard of instances where this number is spread out farther and I believe THAT is contractual (i.e. what's in the particular contract details).

Right. That is exactly the part I am unsure of with how it is handled. To keep it simple it's easier to just accelerate all the signing bonus money to the season the player is cut.

Doing it this way had the added benefit that all of a players cap hit will be completely off the sheets for the following season.